The Temple of Inari

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Re: The Temple of Inari

Post by Keeper »

Shadows

"If you'd like to speak to her to set things right, I can make that right rather easily." Steven offers.
"She has mentioned her regrets when it comes to her Shadows."

Tags:
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Sanctuary]

"I've read all the pokedex entries on the sorta zoroark I am and I guess this is what happens when one dies of despair but then someone catches them and loves them and they have friends again and stuff?" Khannie recounts. "I'm pretty sure I never died of despair even if that's what Kyubie was hoping for. But I definitely have friends and family who love me."

She seems pretty happy for that.

"'cuz otherwise I think ghost zoroarks are supposed to go kinda axe-happy and start using their illusions to trick and hunt and eat humans. And I don't think that's eating emotions or strength or whatever. It's like-"

Khannie opens her mouth and screams, the air around her growing bitterly cold as thick pal of gloom manifests around her, her icy white fangs tinged with death and her skin splitting apart into a field of dead crimson eyes as her mane and tail flow wildly in a phantom blizzard.

Just as quickly as it happens it's gone.

"-gunna eatcha! The messy kind of eating. Like an animal ripping someone apart. And I'm REALLY hoping that isn't what's going on because that would be awful and gross."

She rubs her paws across her face, wiping away a little bit of crystalline frost.

"I hope it's just beets. Or even, ugh, poffins. Or maybe just live mice or something. I dunno. Anything but having to chew on PEOPLE."

It's honestly hard to know for sure. There really isn't that much information on the sort of pokemon she is. It's such a weird and rare one, even for how weird pokemon can be.

"...um... If you had thirty EIGHT followers would you be stronger?" Khannie asks.
Fenric
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Fenric »

[Shadows]

The wraith looks more confused.

She didn't mean to send me to hell for my crimes?

Caroline shakes her head

This is the Plane of Shadows, not any of the hells.

he narrows his eyes at Caroline distrustfully and looks at Steven

What happened? I don't question why she came after me, but the last thing I heard was "Imma eat you now!" and then ... everything went cold and dark.

---

[Sanctuary]

Keiko listens carefully, then winces, then nods

I won't deny that sounds more like the chewing-on kind of eating... You could certainly try a mouse? Though as I alluded to earlier, there are people in the red zone who might make you change your mind about the chewing part

Then she smiles

Every one counts, yes.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Sanctuary]

Khannie wrinkles her nose at the suggestion of mouse-eating.

"Like... I live one? I mean... I guess I could try it?"

She IS a fox, after all. Even says 'baneful fox' in her pokedex entry.

None the less Khannie sounds pretty skeptical about eating an animal alive, small or otherwise. Is she going to have to follow in Arthfael's footsteps, here? Keep actively living things as part of her diet to stay healthy? Sounds gross.

"So... what do I have to do to be a follower? Is there anything special?" Khannie asks on account of having zero clue here.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Shadows

"Oh, I believe you missed the guidance that those she Visited normally get. Please hold a moment."

Steven closes his eyes and prays.
Blessed Keiko, Lady of Vengeance...I think we ran into one of your 'meals' who got lost on his way to Shadow Orientation.
Fenric

Post by Fenric »

[Sanctuary]

Keiko grins

Yes, a live one, as a ghost is unlikely to be particularly interested in dead flesh... that's more a ghoul or ghast sort of thing if I recall correctly.

Then her expression darkens

Though I can give you a shot at my current target if you like. He keeps a few young girls chained up in his basement for far more mundane but FAR more disturbing reasons than Kyubie... he is one I think I shall be chewing on. Slowly.

She shakes her head and changes topics

Uh... I'm not all that formal, you know? Anyway, It's not your actions, it's your belief that counts. If you believe in me as a goddess of vengeance... then I am, for you. If you go back to hunting down folks who deserve it and call on me, then you'll get my help! And...

She looks vaguely distant for a moment

Ok, THAT is distracting. Just got a request from Steven, and let me tell you: high-priest prayer properly invoked is like having the headphones on max volume when an unexpected call comes in. Matthew is so quiet in comparison...

anyway...

Ah yes, how do you be a follower. I mean... be yourself? You are pretty much the embodiement of what my little church believes in already, to be honest. Maybe toss a prayer once in a while?

---

[Shadows]

Caroline stretches and quietly explains things to Zareck while Keiko arrives.

And arrive she does! A far less wild than usual Keiko appears: She's taller, more muscular, and more "put together" in appearance than usual - looking like a mature, adult Vulpan rather than the late teenager she usually embodies. She is dressed in black chainmail and brestplate with her swirling nine-tail symbol on the front over deep purple silk robes. Belt, boots, and bracers round out her equipment but she has no helmet.

The wraith shrinks back and trembles, but Keiko addresses Steven first.

Ah, I see: you are in dragon form. I have a small request, high priest of my Sister: your draconic voice is very loud indeed: please refrain from projecting if you need to call on me again. My attention is not so split as to need so much effort.

Then she turns to look at the wraith

Ah, yes, you are quite right. He is one of mine... he was a burglar and murderer with no scruples about who's house he entered, and a preference for not leaving witnesses behind. I was taken completely by surprise when he turned into so powerful a wraith. He sprung from my grasp and vanished into the wilds without a trace.

She looks at Steven again

Given you called me, I presume he can talk?
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Shadows

"Quite." Steven says, ear-fins drooping in embarrassment. He hadn't thought he was being so loud. Did she just want him to mentally whisper something informal?
"Though only after we had disposed of his pack. He seems to think you had cast him into hell for his sins." Which, well, sounds like may have been deserved but was clearly not what Keiko actually intended.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Sanctuary]

Khannie makes a blech face at the thought of eating a live mouse. "Ugh, why do ghost-types have to be so weird," she laments.

There's a really simple explanation to that, of course. It's because ghosts are pretty much weird by default. That's just the way things are.

"Okay, fine, I'll try a live mouse. Do the acolytes keep a mouse hotel at the temple somewhere?"
Khannie asks. She's imagining something like that giant terrarium full of crickets at the pet store. Just full of mice instead of crickets.

And then Keiko brings up her next vengeance target!

Khannie looks...

Suitably horrified.

"WHAT!?"

There's a look of... disgust. And scarcely restrained bitter malice at the thought of ANYONE doing something like that. She's starting to look scary again, honestly. But-!

She takes a deep breath and calms herself. Khannie is naturally hasty and adamant, but every now and again she can catch herself. This is one of those situations where she's glad for it.

"I can... help, but I won't eat him. No way. No killing. I've done cape stuff, Keiko. One of the first rules is no killing. You catch the bad-guys and bring them to justice. I'm not going to eat people."

And she sounds pretty adamant on that point.

Though now she looks conflicted, her gaze falling.

"I dunno... I'm not sure if I'm as good of a fit as you think? I don't... I've never really done vengeance before. I mean, I smashed a buncha Witches but they weren't really people anymore. And they were already kind of dead. And all the living bad guys I fought I tied up for Intersection."
Fenric

Post by Fenric »

[Shadows]

Keiko chuckles, nods, then turns back to the wraith.

Steven is quite right: if I had wanted you to go to one of those places where they have never heard of the concept of having the punishment fit the crime, I'd have just let you die and not turned you into a shadow. You ran off, though, before I could explain... so now you get a second chance!

And best of all, it's really simple! See that little guy over there?

She points at Zareck. The wraith nods

I will turn you into one of those, and then you are going to do everything Steven and Caroline tell you to do. Be a good boy, and you get to come to live in the castle. You will get to decide whether you stay like that or go back to being a wraith... or maybe even a little better since you seem to have grown a bit... and you will have a proper job and life here with us.

Or we kill your shadow form right here, right now, and your soul goes wherever it was supposed to go. You were pretty strict to your twisted internal code, so I'm betting you were bound for the Nine Hells. You will find that significantly less pleasant than your time here in the wilds has been.

The wraith looks horrified, and she turns back to Steven

Sorry... I didn't ask you first. Do you mind babysitting him until you can get him back to the castle? I'm getting to the end of what I am allowed to do in this situation, and you've already got one of my father's folk so another shouldn't be a big deal.

---

[Sanctuary]

Kieko smiles gently

You are a very good fit, Khannie dear, or I never would have suggested it. You are compassionate and sympathetic with a very strong sense of justice. You are very young and you are still thinking of everything in very immediate terms, but I never said you had to agree with everything I say or do. Neither me, nor my sister, nor even Inari work that way - through diversity is strength, and there are doubtless times when my impulse is to destroy someone and you would want them saved...

she chuckles softly

and you would be the one who was right.

She holds up a finger

But I will point a bit of caution: you are not killing people directly, sure, but I don't go after pickpockets... the man I just talked about, if handed over to Intersection, would be tried and executed before a week had elapsed and his soul would go straight to the Abyss for eternal torment. Don't just think of the here and now when judging the outcome of an action.
Last edited by Fenric on Oct 22, 2022 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Shadows

Steven blinks (thrice, as always).
"Um. Well, properly speaking, Zareck is one of mine. He just swore himself in as our chamberlain a few minutes ago. We were on our way to trade this ice to the local dwarves in return for their building services on our own place. Um. I suppose we could make a stop at your father's palace first. Keeping the ice cold shouldn't be too hard." He doesn't actually know how to get to Orochi's palace from here but a divination to find that is also within his power.
Fenric

Post by Fenric »

[Shadows]

Keiko smirks

It does not have to be right away: just whenever is convenient. He has been out here for the better part of a decade now, so a little while being "normal" will be good for him. If you do not object, of course: it is entirely up to you.

Behind her, a very similar process to what happened to Zareck happens to the wraith, ending with a second draconian standing there looking uncertain. Unlike Zareck, Keiko provides this new one with a black and purple livery very similar to what she is wearing, though substantially less ornate.

And it's great that you are starting to collect a staff of your own! If you are going to remain a dragon, then you need proper attendants.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Shadows

"Well, I have been under the impression that the effects of your father's essence are very permanent so my other options are...well they certainly exist but they would be quite a hassle." Orochi is a potent being indeed and his essence has likely already affected Steven to his very soul. And if it hasn't, it might eventually.
"I suppose we can take him on as our second servant for a while...though after hearing his history I would very much like a similar oath against harming mortals."
He can handle keeping one evil servant in check but two might start to push it. Would it really be too much to ask for his staff to not be entirely evil? He doesn't even like using that word to describe people but one is a murderer and the other literally used it on himself rather matter-of-factly. He can only hope he's a good influence.
...Keiko giving the new draconian livery only makes the fact that he didn't do that for Zareck more apparent. But he's never figured out how to generate clothes! It's an oddly specific deficiency of his.
Fenric

Post by Fenric »

[Shadows]

Keiko grins at Steven's worry

He has accepted my dominion: he cannot disobey anymore than oath-bound Zareck there. Thing is... I do not believe an oath would be binding under the ancient pact anymore, since he is a little impared in the "free will" domain.

Zareck shakes his head

Not a bit: enthralled spawn do not have the freedom to enter binding contracts... and I would personally prefer you not release him to get one set up.

Caroline smirks

Who knows... perhaps we will keep this one. A maid would be useful for me as well.

The newly-minted draconian looks over with a shocked look

Now hold on there!

But it is far too late for that, as Keiko makes the necessary adjustment even as she speaks.
Last edited by Fenric on Oct 22, 2022 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Sanctuary]

Khannie knows... basically nothing about afterlife stuff. She knows basically nothing about religion. Seeing Seraphina do her devotions had been novel; it was ver different from Inari's.

She has sort of a vague idea about the idea of good places and bad places, but who knows whether her understanding is accurate or not. She sure doesn't.

She hasn't ever really thought about what Intersection does to criminals, either. The justice end of things was always nebulous and distant to her.

Khannie's two natures here are at odds.

She's hasty and her anger burned with cold malice at the mere thought of what this villain was doing. Her friend was saying that was a good feeling and she should act on it under Keiko's banner.

But she's also adamant, given to stubbornness and tightly held ideals. A cape NEVER kills someone. Never ever ever. And she's sticking to it!

With her mind at war with itself she finally settles on a question rather than agreeing.

"What... exactly do you want me to do?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Shadows

Well, that doesn't exactly make Steven feel great, as he doesn't like the idea of Keiko having essentially handed him a slave. But this fellow did kill a rather lot of people apparently, so Steven will just have to consider this part of his sentence. And promise himself to discuss his freedom with Keiko when they feel like rehabilitation has happened.
Or. her freedom as Keiko seems to have altered his new servant's identity.

"Well, I suppose you'll need a name, then. I do hope any further members of our staff are a bit more on the...morally upstanding of their own volition variety. No offense, Zareck but you did call yourself evil."
What are the chances of them somehow winding up with yet more servants on a single trip? The heavens would surely be conspiring to make him as much as possible like his....

what is Orochi to Steven exactly, having been gifted a piece of his nature? Does that make them related? A benefactor if nothing else. Or perhaps something more akin to a godfather.
Fenric

Post by Fenric »

[Shadows]

Zareck shrugs

I was part of a lawful evil plane - that's how it works. I'm sure your lady there would say that I've shown precious little "Evil" in my entire life, and she'd not be wrong. As to that guy... uh, I mean, girl... I mean... um... uh... little help, someone? Please?

It would appear that he just noticed for the first time that he was, in fact, naked. Keiko giggles and with a wave of her hand he is dressed in a third copy of the same outfit.

There is nothing at all external to differentiate between your genders, you know. Anyway, thanks Steven: I owe you a favor.

And about that "upstanding" thing: I think both of these two should go through the retraining program as soon as possible. I can't un-thrall her until she's cleared that, and I don't like leaving them that way any longer than I have to.

The newest member of the party clears her throat

So... name? I uh... don't really have any idea what would be appropriate.

Keiko looks very tempted to just vanish. Caroline chimes in

You look like a Martha to me, for some reason.

-----

[Sanctuary]

Keiko blinks. Oh yeah... guidance... She settles on something that seems reasonable given Khannie's overall nature

I want you to study some about the planes of existence and the "lifecycle" of a mortal soul. You can't really make properly informed decisions with only half information, right? You are always one for understanding the how and why behind things ... I suggest this is an important one to catch up on.

I also think you should talk to people who are more knowledgeable about you, as a Pokemon. Whether they know much about ghotsly zoroark or not I can't guess, but their cleric is a Delphox so they will know a lot more than I do.

And then she looks sympathetic

And remember that I'm always your friend first and foremost, any of these other things are just additions. I want you to be you, because that's ... you. Ever since you first came in those years ago, it's always been great to see you again.

She has a lot of faults, but Keiko is an incredibly loyal friend. Right, Leah?

----

And Steven is kinda adopted son ish... Godfather is probably a good analogy, though it's a little more "real" and less convention.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Shadows

”I don’t think you’ve ever gone over with me what the retraining program is.” Steven replies. He’s overseen something similar for a few of the nogitsune but never for something as extreme as an ex-devil or wraith.

”We can give it a few minutes for the name. But as Caroline’s maid it makes sense for it to be her call.”
Fenric

Post by Fenric »

[Shadows]

Keiko shrugs

We got it from Inari. The thing is, there's a lot of trouble with mortals that stems from physical issues in their brains. We first get any echoes of that cleared up - since their brain is no longer present to mess things up, it's not that big a deal. With that out of the way, we can teach them the basics of how to ... well ... not be bad.

We've not come across a truly "evil" soul that didn't respond to love, friendship, and education. Some take longer than others, some are never going to be necessarily "nice", but never an outright failure. But none of my servants are spawn-thralls: they have all been released.

She switches to the Vulpan language, so that Zareck and possibly-Martha can't understand her.

It's also always funny to have them come to me and ask if they're ready to be released only to find out I let them go a few weeks earlier - they can't really finish their learning with that level of control, after all.

The draconian gril looks thoughtful

I don't really feel... that... fits?

Caroline hmmms.
Last edited by Fenric on Oct 23, 2022 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Sanctuary]

Kieko is definitely a good friend. And also a dragon. It seems like Khannie makes a WHOLE BUNCH of friends with dragons. She doesn't really try to, that just seems to be how things keep turning out.

Khannie nods a bit at the planar homework project. "Aren't there lots of those, though? Afterlife things, I mean. Like my friend's mom is a queen of hell but she seems nice?"

Kind of weird but still nice. Sekhmet helped fix Khannie's soul after all. Being a corruption of the concept of corruption probably helped there.

"But that isn't the same thing as the Abyss? Or is it? I read the Titanomachy and that talked about Tartarus and Hades and stuff but that seemed different, too."

A beat.

"I'm gunna have a giant pile of books to read aren't I?"

Definitely.

Regardless! Keiko gets a hug. Khannie isn't sure if this is proper deific decorum but she doesn't really care, either.

"You're a cool friend, Keiko. I'll go talk to Delphi! So... uh... bye? Thank you for the directions and stuff Keiko terror of the wicked."

Then she steps back! And waves! And scampers off in search of the pokepriestess!
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Shadows

”Well, that’s fine. We won’t have our lair until the dwarves are done so they’ll have plenty of time to send them to school.”
He tries to think about it.
”I’m sure we can think of some decent name.” though none comes to mind. It does seem silly to give a shadow dragonperson a common human name.
Fenric

Post by Fenric »

[Shadows]

Keiko smirks

Well, I'm going to leave her new name up to the four of you to hash out.
And I'll give you a tip: there's a cave about half a mile that way, the to the right. It's in the only hill you will see for quite a while so you can't miss it. Go in there and shift back, you'll be in a shallow fissure about a mile outside of Winterhearth, near the main trade road. That's your best bet for getting back without revealing where you were.

She waves and vanishes. Caroline hmphs.

So.. what is a good dragony name, then?

Zareck hmms

Nagini?

Caroline looks over at him

That means "female cobra".

I rather like it.

Everyone looks at Steven.

----

[Pokemon Gym and Daycare]

Adjacent to the temple school, and most noticeable for the environment-friendly areas in the playground, the gym's badge does not count toward any major competition, and so hardly anyone ever bothers to try to get it.

Khannie may vaguely remember recess from years and years ago, where some of her classmates would go to play with the many Evee variations that live here. Likely she never gave the place a second thought as she got older. It's dark now, and Zack is getting things shut down for the night. An umbreon is keeping him company as he goes about his nightly checks.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Shadows

Steven goes to thank Keiko but she's already gone. Oh, well.
"I feel like that's been done. Noire, perhaps?" Steven suggests.
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

Fenric wrote: Oct 22, 2022 11:41 pmShe has a lot of faults, but Keiko is an incredibly loyal friend. Right?
That's right, Khannie! Extremely loyal. And I'm sure she's giving good advice here.
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

Being around other pokemon has always felt awkward to Khannie, especially here in the Nexus.

Back in the Mystery Dungeon world things were pretty simple. The pokemon in the village were intelligent. You could talk to them and stuff. The ones out in the wilds were basically animals that had lost their mind. Sometimes you could beat sense back into them. But sometimes not. That was always a terror for Khannie. The idea that some day she might just wander off into the woods and forget who she is.

Thankfully that never happened.

And she's... pretty... sure it can't happen here?

But she never knows if a pokemon she meets in the Nexus is a person or just an animal with magical powers. So the first thing she does as she approaches?

"Zoro?"
<Hey, are you a talking pokemon?>

She tries talking to the umbreon.

Answer or no, she uses her illusions to conjure up a voice to speak in a more intelligible way to Zack.

"Hey? Keiko told me I should stop by and talk to Delphi?"
Fenric

Post by Fenric »

[Shadows]

The most consideration to ever go into a name! Caroline mulls that over.

Cheritanni for "dark"... I've heard worse.

Zareck shrugs. The new dracofemme doesn't seem convinced

Vespera

Caroline giggles

The grey elf goddess of twilight? Hm.

----

The umbreon gives Khannie a weird look

Uh... yeah... I can talk. Are you ok?

Zack turns with a smile

You're spoiled, Midnight - she probably needs the permanent version of the spell: not everyone has mages on tap! And I can understand you either way, little friend. Delphie is at the cafeteria, her shift ended a little while ago and we don't have a nocturnal cleric yet. Keep on past the daycare and you'll see the cafeteria on the right. You can't miss it.

Midnight tilts her head

People can live without spellcasters? How dreadful!
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Shadows

"Well, I suppose in this your opinion is the most important." Steven knows that the draconian is in theory taking orders from them but he feels a bit bad about Keiko reassigning her pronouns on a whim (kind of has to keep remembering the killer detail) so she deserves to at least pick her own name if it matters to her.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

Honestly combining the two makes sense. Don't even need a pokemon center thanks to the temple.

Anywho!

Khannie stands up a little straighter to look tough.

"I'm fine! Some pokemon just can't talk is all. It's really embarrassing trying to talk to a bidoof but then it's as dumb as a beaver or whatever," she says in self defense.

To those magically inclined they will be able to tell that this isn't some tongues or speak with animals spell. She's using simple illusions to make ghost sounds of what she wants to say.

That probably takes way more effort.

"Okay, cafeteria? Cool. Thanks for the directions!"

Honestly it's all confusing.

Some pokemon can talk just like humans. Some can understand but not talk like Gaudia and her friends. And technically Khannie but she cheats thanks to being a zoroark. Then there are the dumb animal pokemon and there's not really any way to tell which is which unless you try talking to them.

Bluh.

Why do pokemon have to be so weird?

Anyway!

To the cafeteria!

Some lessons on using ear flops and tail wags for somatic components will probably be helpful.
Last edited by Rebonack on Oct 26, 2022 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fenric

Post by Fenric »

[Shadows]

Yeah... Keiko isn't known for her excess of empathy, even in ... goddess of vengeance form. Yeah, not her strong point. Though to be fair, she was considering this whole thing to be temporary - most of her "converts" who were on the more powerful end choose to go back to being a shadow after their schooling, and "gender" doesn't really apply to them.

Whether that happens or not, of course, remains to be seen.

She nods

It makes sense, with shadows and all, and most of the words for shadow don't really make great names in my opinion, so twilight is the next best thing, don't you think?

Zareck nods with a look on his face that he would basically agree with pretty much anything she says at this point.

Caroline nods as well

Steven is quite right: you do have the biggest say in the matter.

---

Umbra was born and raised here, and hasn't actually experienced Pokemon that can't talk. There isn't a very wide range here, when you get right down to it.

The cafeteria is shared between the school and the Pokemon facility, and at this time has faculty and staff - the children having finished some time hence. Khannie will see quite a few familiar faces among the teachers, of course, but they will not recognize her.

It's not terribly crowded, but it's busy enough that finding an approximately 4 foot 11 inch person among the sea of - on average - 5 foot 4 inch fox folks is going to be a challenge.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Shadows

"If you'd like," Steven suggests,
"You can think about it as we get going. We have to find out way to the spot Keiko mentioned so we can get back to Winterhearth and then to the dwarves' stronghold."
That should be at least a few minutes for the draconians.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

The eevees at the daycare probably end up as umbreons and espeons most of the time, considering how many children are hugging on them all the time.

[Cafeteria!]

Wow this sure brings back memories.

Not that Khannie has been away from here long, just last summer.

Anyway!

She has a fox to find, not like that'll be hard!

...okay like nearly everyone in here is a fox. So she needs to find a fox with HUGE EARS. Who is also shorter than most everyone else. Hmm... Oh! Hey that's an idea! Khannie makes a reaching motion, causing some of the shadows outside to peel off the ground and congeal into an orb in her paw before flowing over here and-!

Resolving back into her human girl disguise!

Now the teachers will recognize her and asking for directions to Delphi will be less awkward!

Probably!