Vigil

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: Vigil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Superhero Training]

Ambrosia nods once more as her gaze returns to Emily after what seems like a moment of consideration. "So one last question, Emily. When you introduced yourself you said that you came to Wenomir since he had fought against foes that were perceived to be stronger than him. Yet, as you probably have realized, I am not him and I cannot guarantee that whatever you hoped to achieve training with him might not happen if you train with me instead. As he's just pointed out, I use a very different style. Much more defensive and relying on planning but also brute strength. So with that in mind are you still interested?"
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Deciphering Cylinders]

"Yes", LB2 replies to Geneva's question about her numbers, "there's a small change I botched them. My math allows for more than five dimensions, so I'm not sure we're measuring along the same ones. If I'm giving number for alpha and gamma axis but your chamber searches along alpha and beta, the sent item will pf course end up in the wrong place. But it's worth a try."

Inside the dream vision, LB-M once again looks at Geneva like she's saying something deeply silly. "Um, I would liken the wheel to a heart. You wouldn't say you inhabit or operate your heart, would you? Mostly, it just goes ba-dump in your chest and keeps you alive", she says, "but, like with humans, there are some occasions where the heart can be stopped and swapped for another, or replaced with something else entirely. Or at least I think that's the case. I mean, I'm not done it myself, but how hard it could be?"

She looks lost in thought for a moment before remembering she has more questions to answer. "Well, I don't think I would lose my desire to communicate with others. Humans and mews are social animals, after all. But I guess I would be spending more worrying about things like eating and sleeping."

Put side by side with the answer LB1 and LB2 gave to a similar question, Geneva might gather the artificial intelligences are already disassociated from their original purpose - or rather, such a purpose was never included in their assembly to begin with. So transferring LB-M to the real world, VIGIL would not have to worry about her pursuing any weird machine goals - they'd only have to worry about all the normal problems of releasing a fresh mew clone into the world. Which, as we all know, is a thing that has gone well, with no problems whatsoever!
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Halae »

[Superhero Training]

"I'm at the very least interested in trying it out," Emily says, letting her posture relax back into a hunch, "If we're not compatible as student and trainer, then we should know relatively soon. Masters tend to have an understanding of this sort of thing, and if Wenomir says you might be a better fit for me, I believe him."
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Superhero Training]

"Well then. I admit I have not trained anyone like you before miss Emily. Indeed, it has been quite a while since I had any student. With that in mind, I don't work for free either." She holds up her hand, displaying all her fingers. "Five books I have never read. That will be the payment for each of our future sessions. If that's an acceptable price then I will take you on for as long as you find our time together valuable."

The scholar holds out her hand, minuscule compared to Emily's own, waiting for her to shake it.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Deciphering Cylinders]

"You weren't at the Thanksmas Party Miss Eun and Anika told me that I can give Thanksmas presents to anyone in any different place even if it isn't the party!" Lapis helpfully informs Eun. This was a grand revelation to Lapis, of course. She can just give people gifts? Whenever and wherever she wants?

That's wonderful news!

Lapis' wrapping is, as it happens, very messy. The sort of wrapping one might expect a small, overly excited child to create when she's more concerned with getting lots of colorful paper on a box as quickly as possible without much concern for technique. Inside is a velvet covered box, the sort one might expect to find a ring inside of.

There isn't a ring in the box.

Instead, there's a collection of tiny glass bells. The sort one might attach to the collar of a cat. Each has the name of one of Eun's cats etched into it.

Geneva, meanwhile, is discussing very serious science things!

"I can run some scans to make sure we're dealing with the same axis before actually opening a bridge," Geneva says as she begins plugging the coordinates into her computer and putting the sensors of the Bifrost Chamber to work. It should be a relatively simple matter to quickly test the various combinations of the coordinates to discover which, if any, actually have a accessible brane that occupies that location.

Meanwhile!

Now now, that mew clone was very different! The core mew genome had been radically altered by years of horrific gene splicing and DNA engineering experiments. Clearly that's unrelated to the typical mode of mew reproduction.

"That's useful information, thank you," Geneva replies. "We're still learning the ins and outs of this technology."

To say the least.

"It'll take a bit of time to get everything ready for you. In the mean time, is it safe for me to disengage from the interface? And, I suppose, safe for you as well?"

She's not going to just disappear if Geneva isn't hooked up to the 'spike' anymore, is she?
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Superhero Training]

Five books Ambrosia has never read? A curious price, but one he'd expect from her.

"I do hope you can learn from each other. And I'll be happy to have facilitated that."

[Superhero Training]

"I'm afraid so, Lapis." Telling a young child about the inevitability of death seems somehow more daunting than any of Wenomir's improbable martial exploits. "But Cora and Lucy are young and have long, full lives ahead of them."
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Deciphering Cylinders]

Gene splicing and DNA engineering... yes yes. Geneva might want to talk with Eun about the discussion she had with LB2, regarding origin and oddities of her human genetic material.

But before that: after checking and correcting for possible off directions, Geneva's chamber finds a small brane, comparable in size to her own laboratory, that is just slightly out-of-phase with observable reality. She could send something through if she wants.

Inside the dream vision, LB-M thinks of the question and shrugs. "I already went through the trouble of simulating this avatar as well as I could. It will keep existing even if you disconnect, as long as the rest of the arcitechture stays intact. Worst that can happen is that I halt for a bit. It's not as bad as it sounds. It isn't even boring, because the parts of me that could get bored won't be doing anything. So go ahead. Wake up if you want to."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Small, Broken Things]

Long, full lives.

Unless some calamity befalls them.

Lapis has seen these calamities before. She hadn't really thought about it. It was a sad thing that she worked to prevent when she had the opportunity. But she didn't have the connections to those people that she has to her friends.

That just means she has to work harder and get stronger though, doesn't it? Because she loves her friends.

The ponders these things in silence for a time, looking down at the squirrel. Death comes for everyone. Everything ends.

Those words still taste wrong, though. Bitter in her stomach. There's something missing. Something that isn't Correct. Is death an old friend to be embraced at the end of life? Or is death an intruder, an aberration, an enemy?

Regardless of the answer, Lapis feels very strongly-

"That isn't fair," she insists.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Small, Broken Things]

Wenomir sighs. This is not a conversation he expected to have today. And yet, it's something Lapis needs to know. And think about. He can't deny her that. And protesting the world's inherent unfairness... yes, he can see some of himself in this defiant cry.

"It isn't fair. But it's something us mortals simply have to accept. And fight to make things as fair as possible. Like by making sure people aren't taken before their time."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Small, Broken Things]

Accept what you can't change.

Fight with every ounce of your strength to change what you can.

The unfairness feels a bit deeper than a simple cry against a bad deal. Something about death grinds against a deeply set sense of Justice. Death, in some way Lapis can't quite explain, feels deeply and fundamentally wrong.

People shouldn't just END. Some of the putti had said that's how you can tell mortals aren't real; because they die. If they were real then they wouldn't be like...

A flower quickly fading.
A wave tossed in the ocean.
A vapor in the wind.

They would endure.

But Lapis isn't sure if that is right. If death is an intruder into the world then it isn't the mortal's fault that they die.

Something inflicted this on them.

And Lapis resolves, then and there, to discover that enemy.

"I want to help so people don't get taken before their time, Mister Wenomir," Lapis declares, her little eyes full of zeal. "I want to help."

The desire to be useful is inescapable.

"But... I think maybe before I help I should do something with the squirrel?"

Coco knows what to do with the squirrel.

Coco is wise.
Last edited by Rebonack on Jan 17, 2023 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

Shadowcaller wrote: Jan 14, 2023 1:07 pm [Superhero Training]

"Well then. I admit I have not trained anyone like you before miss Emily. Indeed, it has been quite a while since I had any student. With that in mind, I don't work for free either." She holds up her hand, displaying all her fingers. "Five books I have never read. That will be the payment for each of our future sessions. If that's an acceptable price then I will take you on for as long as you find our time together valuable."

The scholar holds out her hand, minuscule compared to Emily's own, waiting for her to shake it.
Morty wrote: Jan 16, 2023 12:00 am [Superhero Training]

Five books Ambrosia has never read? A curious price, but one he'd expect from her.

"I do hope you can learn from each other. And I'll be happy to have facilitated that."
[Superhero Training]

Emily will reach out, carefully taking the scholar's hand in between her forefinger and thumb, large enough to engulf Ambrosia's hand on their hand, and shake, "I think I can cover that, certainly. In fact, I think I might have that on hand right now," Amusement dances behind the crocodilian woman's eyes.
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

'[Superhero Training]

Ambrosia smiles back as they shake hand (sort of). "You should hold on with that payment as I'm not sure how to train you just yet. You're quite different from the last student I took on. It doesn't look like you need any strength training for one which is what I primarily focused on in the past."

She pauses as she let's go of Emily's hand. "So should we meet up here or somewhere else the next time? I'm afraid I don't have any permanent residence... but I suppose we could always use HALO's base for this purpose." Wenomir would already know about this of course.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Superhero Training]

"You can use our training grounds today, since you're already here," Wenomir offers. He has little more to say. "If you want to try something already."

[Small, Broken Things]

"I know you will, Lapis. I had the same feeling once, long ago. It brought me here." He looks down at the dead squirrel. It probably would be best to get it somewhere Coco can't eat it. "We should bury it. Can you do that or do you need help?"
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Superhero Training]

"That'd be appreciated," Emily says, nodding to Wenomir.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Superhero Training]

Ambrosia considers this offer briefly. Since she didn't have much of an idea how to train Emily yet.
Then something suddenly comes to her.
"I'm not sure about training but perhaps you could try to give me an idea of how strong and fast you are so I know what I'm working with? Since the training grounds could be used for that I believe." She imagined that they had weights and such for Emily to use.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Far Too Early]

"I'd say we'll need at least a week to prepare our part in this." Wenomir rubs his chin. "And we do need to control where the battle takes place. Away from any innocents Prime can control."

[Superhero Training]

Wenomir waves his hand towards the training grounds.

"We've got a variety of weights and obstacle courses. Plenty of room for a demonstration."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Small, Broken Things]

"That's why Mother made me," Lapis says after some time, looking down at the squirrel still. "To stop bad things from taking people."

And that desire has never wavered.

Even for a moment.

"There's a spot where I planted some snowdrop flowers under one of the oak trees that the squirrels like. Would that be a good place to put the squirrel, Mister Wenomir?"

That would be a perfect place to put the squirrel.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Small, Broken Things]

"I think so. Sounds like a good final resting place for a squirrel. We'll get a shovel on our way there. And once we're done, maybe you can help me train Coco. I'm sure she'd enjoy it." He pats the raptor on the head.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Superhero Training]

"Let's go then," Emily says, stepping towards the training grounds. It seems she's eager.

Once there, she'll look about for a moment, looking at everything around her. A number of the training systems and obstacle courses wouldn't really be able to withstand her weight, where wood is in use, though a few of the more durable ones would. Hmm.

"I suppose I can go through a few drills, though if you want me to show off my strength I might break something."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Superhero Training]

Ambrosia looks around the training yard and after a moment just makes a sweeping gesture over it. "Well, a good start would be weight lifting, wouldn't it?" There aren't any weights around though... "What's the heaviest object around here that you think you could lift? People included since I imagine that's something you occasionally have to do. I doubt imagine you would have trouble lifting either Wenomir or me."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Superhero Training]

"Oh, that's easy - I used to weightlift to build up strength. The maximum I've gotten to was four thousand five hundred pounds," Emily considers what that'd be in laymen's terms for a moment, "That's about... um... the size of a rhinoceros? That's while straining to lift the weight though, so it's not really something I could pull off in a straight fight. It puts me firmly in the realm of being able to lift up cars and use them as weapons though."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Superhero Training]

Ambrosia's eyebrow raises at that claim. Then again, just looking at Emily again she could hardly deny that it looked more than plausible for her to be capable of just that.

"Impressive." She remarks feeling it increasingly unlikely that she could actually teach Emily anything. Not like this at least. "But tell me, why is it you like to practice with melee weapons?" The scholar smiles. "Since it sounds like you can do more damage with your hands than I could do with my sword."
Last edited by Shadowcaller on Jan 20, 2023 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

[VIgil's The Academy]

The witch Awen flexes her mechanical hand.
She frowns, and looks down at it.
She moves the fingers, trying to get a feel for it.

It...
doesn't feel quite right.

Like.
Really not right. Not just 'doesn't fit quite right' or 'it needs repairs or replacement'. Rather, it feels factually wrong and she swears at least one of the voices she hears is coming from it.

She heads into the [Labs] hoping to find someone who could maybe? help her figure out what's up with it. Or, at the very least, some tools to help her figure it out.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Superhero Training]

"Shuhari," Emily states, her face pulling up in an admittedly unsettling smile - not because it's dishonest or predatory, but just because Emily has a very intimidating visage, "It means learning and expanding beyond the bounds of what's been taught to you - Shu, for discipline and precision as taught by masters; Ha, for achieving a point where you're beginning to understand where you should digress from the rote formula and develop your own path; Ri, for transcendence of the style that's been imparted onto you by your teachers."

"My style of combat isn't... really complete, as complex and practical as it is, because it was made for me by a bunch of admitted very skilled folks who don't have my body structure. I'm stuck in Ha because of that - I'm not still nailing the idea of how I should move, but the refinement, something so utterly important as refining what I can accomplish in a battle, is lacking. But I also recognize that I can't do it on my own," Emily waves to both Ambrosia and Wenomir, "Filling gaps in my knowledge, to achieve a more complete understanding of what I can do and where I am with it. Even if that means starting at the bottom elsewhere, because achieving a complete understanding is my goal, not just being good at two or three admittedly pretty good tricks."

"While I like what I learn to have a practical purpose - in this case punching bad things until they stop being bad, or they stop being things - I'm also a knowledge seeker, of sorts. I'm just much better with my body than my mind."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Superhero Training]

"It also grants you potential insight into your opponents should they practice a similar style to mine or anyone else you train with." Ambrosia points out as she seems more than on board with everything Emily have been saying. "This is in fact why 'commoners' are banned from practicing any martial arts where I'm from. The knowledge you mention, it is seen as quite dangerous by some people which I think is all the more reason to seek it out and use it." She gives the superhero an appreciative nod.

"There is an obstacle I've been avoiding mentioning so far though. We would need to make a training sword for a woman of your size, which is simple enough. But making a real ssangsudo for you, well, that's a problem for the future I suppose." She approaches Emily and offers her hand again. "So what about we meet here again at the same time and day? I will have a training sword ready for you by then and we'll see how you take to it."
Last edited by Shadowcaller on Jan 21, 2023 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Superhero Training]

"Sounds great, as long as it's no huge problem," Emily reaches out to shake the same way as before, clasping Ambrosia's hand between her index finger and thumb, "I'll make sure I have those books the next time we see each other."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Superhero Training]

Wenomir nods with approval. Emily's chosen path sounds like something he wants to support.

"I've never heard it called this way, but this approach mirrors what I was told by my own master and want to impart to my students. I hope that every one of them finds their own path, based on what I've taught them, someday." He turns to look at Ambrosia briefly, then back to Emily. "I was forbidden from practicing martial arts when I was young as well. My master took a chance on me by breaking the customs and teaching me."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Rebonack wrote: Jan 14, 2023 4:54 pm [Deciphering Cylinders]

"You weren't at the Thanksmas Party Miss Eun and Anika told me that I can give Thanksmas presents to anyone in any different place even if it isn't the party!" Lapis helpfully informs Eun. This was a grand revelation to Lapis, of course. She can just give people gifts? Whenever and wherever she wants?

That's wonderful news!

Lapis' wrapping is, as it happens, very messy. The sort of wrapping one might expect a small, overly excited child to create when she's more concerned with getting lots of colorful paper on a box as quickly as possible without much concern for technique. Inside is a velvet covered box, the sort one might expect to find a ring inside of.

There isn't a ring in the box.

Instead, there's a collection of tiny glass bells. The sort one might attach to the collar of a cat. Each has the name of one of Eun's cats etched into it.

Geneva, meanwhile, is discussing very serious science things!

"I can run some scans to make sure we're dealing with the same axis before actually opening a bridge," Geneva says as she begins plugging the coordinates into her computer and putting the sensors of the Bifrost Chamber to work. It should be a relatively simple matter to quickly test the various combinations of the coordinates to discover which, if any, actually have a accessible brane that occupies that location.

Meanwhile!

Now now, that mew clone was very different! The core mew genome had been radically altered by years of horrific gene splicing and DNA engineering experiments. Clearly that's unrelated to the typical mode of mew reproduction.

"That's useful information, thank you," Geneva replies. "We're still learning the ins and outs of this technology."

To say the least.

"It'll take a bit of time to get everything ready for you. In the mean time, is it safe for me to disengage from the interface? And, I suppose, safe for you as well?"

She's not going to just disappear if Geneva isn't hooked up to the 'spike' anymore, is she?
Hraithre wrote: Jan 16, 2023 12:15 pm [Deciphering Cylinders]

Gene splicing and DNA engineering... yes yes. Geneva might want to talk with Eun about the discussion she had with LB2, regarding origin and oddities of her human genetic material.

But before that: after checking and correcting for possible off directions, Geneva's chamber finds a small brane, comparable in size to her own laboratory, that is just slightly out-of-phase with observable reality. She could send something through if she wants.

Inside the dream vision, LB-M thinks of the question and shrugs. "I already went through the trouble of simulating this avatar as well as I could. It will keep existing even if you disconnect, as long as the rest of the arcitechture stays intact. Worst that can happen is that I halt for a bit. It's not as bad as it sounds. It isn't even boring, because the parts of me that could get bored won't be doing anything. So go ahead. Wake up if you want to."
[Decipering Cylinders]

Eun can't help it; Lapis's digression might have been untimely, and her wrapping job clearly left something to be desired, but the gift itself is just...

Adorable.

The normally-skittish scientist breaks out into a small smile as she rolls the bells between her fingers, listening to the gentle cascade of them clinking together. "...Thank you, Lapis. This is a wonderful gift." She says, almost reluctantly closing the box and slipping it into her pocket. "My cats are going to love them."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Deciphering Cylinders]

"I'm glad you like them Miss Eun my big sister Karaglen helped me make them she's really good at making things and she makes lots of gifts for people at Thanksmas because she's really nice and cares about people," Lapis rambles back. Her expression falls slightly, though. "I'm sorry I didn't do a good job at the present wrapping I'm not very good at that because I haven't put any skills in it yet."

A terrible travesty, Lapis.

You can spare a single point in swording to make your gift wrapping better.

As for Geneva...

She opens the inner door of the Bifrost Chamber and gently levitates her substitute out. The airlock chamber cycles, then the outer doors open up and the sleeping mew is deposited on a table nearby.

"Alright, I believe I've isolated a probable candidate for the brane the flywheel device is generating. I'm going to send a probe through and see if we're aiming correctly," Geneva says as a little quad-copter whirs to life and hovers into the airlock. While that's going on the Bifrost itself flashes to life, the frame at the far end lighting up with a roiling sheet of color reminiscent of a soap bubble. No light is passing through the 'doorway' of course. Light moving through a wormhole is often hazardously blueshifted and that wouldn't be good for people OR equipment!

Once the bridge is established the probe will pass through the doorways and-

Meanwhile!

"I think I'll be waking up and reintegrating here soon. But first we have one last test we're running. I believe we've managed to isolate the location of this 'dream world' relative to the universe we're operating in. If our calculations are correct, we should have a little visitor in just a few seconds,"
the sleeping Geneva informs her conversation partner in the atrium.

[Small, Broken Things]

Lapis will give a little nod and set out with Wenomir to do the work.

That's what it always comes down to, doesn't it?

You do the work and keep moving forward.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Superhero Training]

A week pass and at the scheduled time Ambrosia arrives at VIGIL carrying a huge sword wrapped in brown paper. But what's more there's someone else coming along with her that Emily haven't seen before.