Inside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Re: Inside

Post by [brackets lover] »

[Playground in the Playground]

"Yeah, the guy made it to make people think about his beliefs. Its meant to say that we can sometimes see stuff differently than how it actually is. Like, if no one told you planets are round and you never saw a globe or anything like that, wouldn't you assume the world is flat?"

She was swinging a lot faster than Lapis, reaching heights of around halfway to just being completely horizontal. She clicks her tongue for a second, looking towards Lapis with confusion. "Are you talking about magic tricks or something? I've only ever seen real magic." She lets out a light sigh at Lapis' encouragement. "Cause I could also get better at something I already have some talent for, and that would be more enjoyable than constantly going through the basics just to learn beginner spells."

Tags:
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

Demonic Errands
"... So you're staying away from crime... By doing crime." Sekhmet sounds extremely skeptical. That sounds like very shaky logic.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

Lapis tilts her head to the side a bit, looking deeply confused by that example. "But you can see the world is round when you're way up high or looking out at ships coming to the harbor," she says, pointing to the harbor in question.

The fact that this is just an illustration of a more general principle appears to be lost on her.

But at the talk of tricks her expression lights up!

"OH! I know tricks! Papa taught me how to make a coin disappear! But that's real magic it's a real thing that's happening even if it's just hiding the coin without anyone seeing. But pretend magic is just dreams and imagination and other things that aren't really real. I guess maybe some people think they're real, though, like the shadows in your cave story?"

Lapis continues her swinging because she's quite enjoying this.

"What sorts of things are you good at?"
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

"Yeah, but like, in my homeworld there are a lot of places where you can't see the sea, and a lot of people can't afford to travel or go up that high, so they're like the people in the cave cause they can't escape their circumstances."

She tilts her head at Lapis. "Ah, not... Some words have multiple meanings. I thought we were talking about magic in the supernatural sense, not like that definition. This language is so confusing, why is it some sort of galactic standard?"

Asami notices she's starting to go too high now, and starts slowing her momentum slightly. "Well, this VIGIL (she said this slowly, being sure to capitalize all the letters out loud) place might be a group of interest to me. I should check it out later." She solemnly gazed to the side, taking care to hide her suspicions from Lapis.

"Well, I'm good at combat. Moreso against demons than people. Besides that, not much else."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Demonic Errands

"No, that's not what I'm doing. I'm staying away from a crime lord by doing crime. I steal coins so I don't need one of his fences, I'm not employed in one of his money laundering businesses, I'm not working on my back, I'm not dealing in drugs, or debt, or gambling, and I'm keeping away from drugs, loans, and gambling. If I'm working for him, even as a waitress in a diner, and he wants something stolen, he might fire me if I don't. Or close the diner down, or otherwise put pressure on me so he gets something valuable without risking anything that would link back to him if I get caught. I pick my own marks, and I don't take keys, because it's safer. Usually safer, I miscalculated today." Keys can be sold, or if the Fairy Godfather wants it he'll have someone ready to use it immediately after it's stolen, before the mark knows the key's missing and fits new locks or alerts someone.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

The problem here, largely, is that Lapis' understanding of what real is happens to be a bit... different. But then again Lapis is a very confusing child so this probably isn't very shocking.

"Oh..." is the extent of her reply to the talk of caves and horizons. She hadn't ever really thought of anyone not being able to get up really high OR see the ocean. Both of those are things she experiences all the time! "What's supernatural mean?"

What a strange word.

Like natural.

But SUPER!

Most of Lapis' experience with the word 'natural' is what some of the food at Fluxmart is labeled when she goes to get groceries with Mother. But she's having trouble figuring out what that has to do with magic.

"VIGIL is where all the biggest heroes in the Nexus are! They help keep things safe. I get to help there! I make sure all the bushes and trees and grass and flowers are pretty all the time,"
Lapis says, sounding very proud of her work. "But Commander Wenomir and Commander Cessie don't think children should go on missions. They think children should be playing and learning, not fighting. Fighting is for grownups."

Or so they say.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Asami taps her right cheek. "Well... Supernatural means it breaks the laws of science. For example, I could create fire without any need for heat, fuel or oxygen; which shouldn't normally be possible. So, my powers are considered supernatural. There's supernatural magic, and then entertainers make it look like they have the ability to do that even when they don't, and that's also called magic. The same word is used to describe two different things, see how I got confused here?"

She sighs, sizing up Lapis. She paid no mind to how strange the child was, but noted the inconsistensies in her knowledge level. She surmised that she might not have been afforded sufficient education, but for the moment this was nothing more than a passing concern.

"Maybe that's true for most kids, but i'm different. Plus, I need some way to support myself. Maybe I could convince them to make an exception for me? Though, I should probably have other plans, just in case. Hmm, do you know any places that aren't well-explored or are dangerous?"
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

► SHOW SPOILER
[Hospital Waiting Room]

The tempest of the moment whirls Cantata's stomach into churning foam when the doors swing behind them, and the emotional tumult at the core of it irradiates outward in a moment as the sheer dread and indecipherable magnitude of her partners sweep inward in exchange. It's something like being handed a live bomb without the manual and the expectation that you can defuse it for a packed and eager audience.

The empath almost seems to lag for a moment, gasping from some ghostly sucker punch before her focus springs back and she reaches for Fettina, pulling her into a tight hug from the side and rubbing a hand along her arm. "Shhhhh," she tries to soothe, leaning in so that their heads touch.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Hospital Waiting Room]

"Do you want to hold him?" The nurse offers Cantata and Tina.
Then Ambrosia wordlessly walks up to him and through a simple exchange of looks he hands over the first child to her.
For the occasion she has actually removed her gloves while Cantata and Tina were overwhelmed by the moment. As it turns out, her nails appears as if they're made of pure gold, and it's more than just polish. They're hardened and claw-like in appearance, much like her horns hinting of her draconic nature.

Perhaps for this reason she's especially cautious as she accepts the baby. As to not let her nails dig into his tender skin.
She takes a few steps back and seems to wordlessly stare into the eyes of the newborn for a moment.

"You're very beautiful." She finally remarks in a low tone.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

Lapis gasps in shock!

"But isn't breaking the law BAD?" she asks. "What if you get in trouble?"

Now she's imagining the science police coming to arrest magic users for committing science crimes. Obviously she's thinking about a different sort of law, here. Laws in the legal sense. Not laws in the well established body of empirical observation sense. Regardless this is serious now! Is everyone who's doing magic breaking the law? Even Anika and Miss Cessie? Should she warn them that they're breaking science laws and that they'll get in trouble if they keep doing that?

At that second question, though, Lapis considers carefully. Then she nod! With one more swing she releases her grip and scoots slightly forward and launches herself! The girl lands in the chips at a run, stomping a few steps forward before turning and pointing at the fake plastic dragon's cave nearby.

"There's spots like that under there but I think only grownups are supposed to be allowed down there."

That's why it's the playground in the playground, see? The playground (adventuring dungeon) is in the playground (where kids are playing right now).
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Asami responds with annoyance. "I do not know the legal system of this land. And if the choices are "getting in trouble" and "not using my powers", i'll risk the trouble. And besides, I don't know if anyone even enforces the laws of science. In all my dealings with police on my homeworld, they never brought it up."

When Lapis jumps off the swing, Asami would keep going for a few more swings, before releasing her grip just as the swing approaches its maximum distance from the ground. This would grant Asami a lot of upwards momentum as she would do a front flip, spinning into a bright yellow blur that rose 20 feet in the air before crashing down right in front of the swing set, breaking into a roll as she hits the wood chip. The end result is that Asami looked roughed up, the dirt and chips rubbing against her clothes, hair and elbows. She winced as she got up, clearly finding the experience unpleasant.

Though, at the sight of the cave, she tilted her head and stared on with curiousity.

"Well... It wouldn't hurt to get my feet wet. As long as I stay out of the deep end, I should be fine with just checking out the inside for a few minutes."

She crosses her arms, solemnly musing.

"Of course, its understandable for you to be more reserved about doing things you're not supposed than me. So, if you don't wanna go with me, i'm fine with that."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

Lapis looks a little taken aback at the annoyance. "I'm sorry, I don't know if its bad or not. Are there rules against breaking science laws? Or do you mean a different thing?"

This is all very confusing! Asami uses words to mean different things! Not the things Lapis is thinking about.

But then Asami crashes and now MORE concern happens. "Oh no, are you okay?"

She seems okay. Strange. But okay.

Lapis glances between the girl and the dungeon entrance. Mother had told her to show her some playgrounds and Lapis is definitely doing that. She's supposed to stay with her! Even if the Playground in the Playground isn't supposed to be for kids. Maybe kids DO go in there sometimes? Like the sword girl in Cora's book! She seems like she would go into the dungeon and...

Um...

Lapis really isn't sure WHAT the purpose is, really. Usually when she does something kind of dangerous it's because she has a QUEST to do. There's always a REASON. But going into a dangerous place just because seems... Well. Lapis doesn't know.

"I can go with you I'm really brave!"
Lapis insists.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

"Uh..."

The misunderstanding managed to spread to Asami. She had thought they were just figurative laws, but based on her own world's history of persecution against those deemed to be pagan, it wasn't out of the question for there to be a serious authority with jurisdiction over the laws of science. Unable to give a conclusive answer with her own understanding, she instead decides to use Lapis' next question as an opportunity to change the subject.

"That hurt a little, but nothing's broken or anything. I'm not doing that again anytime soon, for sure."

Asami notices Lapis' hesitation, but pays it little heed.

"You should be vigilant as well! There are downsides to bravery..."

Asami chuckled and winked at Lapis, turning her head to the entrance of the cave and walking towards it at a leisurely pace.
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

[Hospital Waiting Room]

Kirk freezes at the door as soon as he sees the babies. It's really hitting him now, like a punch in the gut. How in the world did her get himself into this mess? He spares a glance for Ambrosia, but she's not his focus. Even if it is very strange seeing her hold that child...

No, instead he watches Fettina, and that child that's been thrust into their lives. It's truly unavoidable. He hangs back by the door for the moment, unable to offer her the comfort that Cantata can. That's its own frustration layed on top of this all.

Meanwhile with Ambrosia her new child looks up at her for a moment, but then rubs his face with a little first and closes his eyes.
~Images by Soushiyo
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Thursday Violist wrote: Feb 14, 2023 2:24 am [Cult Clash]

Don't worry, G'nichi. Nobody is going to insult a dragon for liking pink things. And probably nobody noticed that it's the wand that's secretly telling things to him.

The cultist who swung the wood freezes in place.

Then suddenly lets go of the piece of wood. He puts his palms forward, and backs away in anticipation of G'nichi retaliating. The guy even tries to dash away!

Except one gal who is with the other cult, with a massive blackish-purple right hand that reaches her knee, stops him. And grabs onto his leg. She holds him in place, and looks at G'nichi expectantly, hoping he'll thank her and do something: "I got him! Here, you can do whatever you want to him now!"

Although that single attacker was the only instance of outright violence happening right around G'nichi, there's quite a bit more happening farther away. Over in the area where Zophiel is, actual, physical fighting breaks out on a large scale. A punch to the face, a gut punch, someone getting kicked on the ground, someone trying to rope in bystanders, knives are drawn, opportunity theft...things start happening. People scream. Although a large part of the crowd are cultists who came here to argue and insult other cultists, only a handful of them were actually mentally prepared for violent conflict.

With the paladin Zophiel right there and since the fighting spread like a spark hitting tinder, he decides the best choice is to help the people trying to flee to actually flee.
Cult Clash

G'nichi groans, visible rubbing his face with a hand.
"Just go home!" he booms at the crowd, done with their nonsense.
Rebonack wrote: Feb 08, 2023 7:16 pm [Cersei's Cauldron]

Sphinx will get plenty of encouraging comments from those gathered. It's all quite pleasant, really. There are a few helpful pointers on how to deal with lacking hands. As things wind down the time for snacks arrives! And some chatting. It's then that Lydia will bring out the copy of the journal she made. Simple printer paper bound together with a couple of clips. Nothing terribly fancy.

She offers it to Sphinx.

"I've marked the relevant passages, but knowing what being a sphinx is like no doubt you would be able to find them on your own without too much trouble."
Cersei's Cauldron

Sphinx takes the book, which mostly means it starts floating next to her. It's good that she can manipulate some things at least.
"Thanks, Lydia. You're a great help." It's almost sad that Lydia can't swap at any time like Chimera can. TWO sphinxes would get this done lightning-fast, especially since Sphinx was able to cure Lydia so easily last time. But it's probably better that way. Sphinx will solve her own problems.
She could probably flip through the entire thing in ten minutes, but she'll wait until the night is over to do that to be polite.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

So our heroes enter the cave and-!

It's full of fake plastic gold coins. They're pretty big, too. Like ball pit ball sized. So basically just a ball pit, except full of coins because it's a dragon cave. Obvious, right?

Several transparent windows on the roof let some light in, but it's still pretty dark in here. And no dragons. Or at least no obvious ones. That would be fun, right? Encountering an actual dragon in the dragon cave? Dragonlessness aside, at the back of the ball pit there's a little platform along with a tall, ominous looking door! The sort of door with a scowling monster face on it. The sort of door that definitely leads to an adventure dungeon of some kind.

Next to the door is a small sign with a little light fixed above it so it can easily be read.

NOTICE! To enter the Playground in the Playground you must be an adult or be accompanied by an adult.

Terrible.

That's neither of them! How will they get in if the sign says they can't?

[Cersei's Cauldron]

The meeting will be over before long, slowly winding down into chatting and eating snacks as various MAA members go their separate ways. They all have important business to attend to, after all. Probably.

So that went...

Mostly okay.

Right?

It wasn't bad or weird?
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Asami picked up a few of the fake plastic gold coins, fiddling around with them and seeing if they can be squeezed, bent or whatnot. After a few seconds of this, she turns towards the door. Noticing how dark it was, she takes a second to take a deep breath, dimming the aura of sunlight surrounding her so as to not ruin the atmosphere.

Then she goes forward, tilting her head at the sign with curiosity. She crossed her arms, seeming troubled.

"Hey, Lapis, do you know how to read?"
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

The coins are hollow, so squeezing them and bending them is pretty easy.

But then!

The sign!

Lapis glances over at Asami. Then back at the sign again.

"Yeah the sign says you have to be a grownup to go through the door or you have to have a grownup with you,"
she helpfully informs the girl without the slightest hint of scorn or malice in her voice. The fact that Asami isn't familiar with reading doesn't seem to bother Lapis in the slightest, guileless child that she is.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Asami looks surprised, letting her arms down and sighing.

"I see... In that case, I really should just come here when i'm with an adult."

She looked a bit disappointed, but quickly moved on, going back to the plastic coins and sitting cross-legged in front of them. She picked one up and squished it repeatedly.

"So, how old are you, anyways?"
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

Defeated by properly posted signage.

What a terrible fate.

"That's okay there are lots of things to do that aren't going in places for adventurers like jumping in the coin pit!" Lapis says as she flops into the heap of toy coins. It really IS fun to flounder around in there. "Mother made me three years ago to make sure no gross pod people were sneaking into VIGIL! I do a really good job only one of them ever got through but no one got hurt so it was okay."

Wait Lapis is only three?

She doesn't LOOK three.

She looks like she's eleven.

"How old are you Asami?"
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Asami smiled and held onto the coin she was playing as she turned around and laid down on her back atop the toy coin. She took the coin in her hands and flipped it into the air, trying to catch it when it lands. She kept doing this over and over, missing often and having the coin either land on her chest or in the pile around her. In the latter case, she'd grab any one nearby. She had a meditative look on her face all the while.

Lapis' description of her origin, however, results in Asami looking at her with concern. "I see..."

Pod people... a term with grave implications. And the fact she said she was made instead of born didn't escape Asami's notice either, coupled with the fact she's named after a rock. Sensing it wouldn't be a good idea to press Lapis on either front, she keeps quiet about it.

"I'm eleven and... three-quarters!"

It was clear that stating her age as a mixed number was important to Asami, as if she wants every moment of her growth to be acknowledged.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

Lapis, for her part, has begun stacking toy coins up on top of each other! She manages to fashion a tower about twenty coins tall before it topples over, drawing a giggle from the girl.

"Making towers is fun but I don't think coins are very good things for making them because they don't stick together or anything. Mother says the Tower is really pretty and so tall it's awesome and I'll get to see it some day but not yet because I'm still really busy at VIGIL and quests and things."

To ascend the Tower.

It's a tug that never goes away.

"Are you going to have a birthday party when you're twelve?"
Lapis asks.
Last edited by Rebonack on Feb 18, 2023 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

"Ah, you should consider if the amount of work you're given is appropriate. Its a bad idea to put up with a workload that's larger than it needs to be," Asami idly muses.

On the topic of parties, though, Asami seemed oddly unenthusiastic. "Well, not a party, I don't think. Parties just feel kinda... consumeristic to me. I'll probably celebrate some other way, like doing something relaxing and cozy. Would be nice if I was dating someone, though, then i'd get to celebrate with them." She seemed a bit giddy at this thought.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

"But isn't working good?" Lapis replies, puzzled by Asami's comment. "It keeps the world ordered and Correct and things fall apart if there isn't any working going on and everything gets ugly and dirty and bad."

Lapis likes working!

She likes to be useful.

She likes making the world better.

But then!

More words Lapis doesn't know! Asami sure does have lots of those.

"What's dating?" Lapis asks as she begins building a wide, square base with the coins so she can begin constructing a pyramid. She's certainly that she'll be able to make that much taller than a tower.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

"Well, all work has consequences. Take farming, for example. Its necessary for us to live, but it involves changing the environment, so certain creatures that could live there in the past can't anymore. The land becomes livable for different types of life. And then what you plant affects the soil, too. So, farm too much, and you can't farm anymore. That's the most severe example, of course. Most fields have their own problems.

Though, I was moreso concerned with how your work personally affects you. Like, too much work or bad working conditions can have serious impacts on your body and mind. A lot of adults keep working no matter how sick they feel, so I was worried that you might not know how to take breaks,"
Asami preaches to Lapis.

She becomes mesmorized by Lapis' building, but then snaps back to face her for a second, looking at a loss for words. "Uhh..." She then looks away from Lapis and blushes lightly "Uhh, ask your mother." Next, she moves to a part of the square base of the pyramid where Lapis isn't currently building, helping to complete it.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Hospital Waiting Room]

Boy, those cubs sure are small and wrinkly. But no one is saying anything, so maybe they're supposed to be like that? Thariza's not a doctor or a kid specialist so maybe she should be silent. She steps closer to Ambrosia and looks at her son in silence.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

Now Lapis is thinking about farms.

She's seen people growing food before. Both on large and small scales. But she's really only observed the small scale in detail before.

"The Frescots have little boxes and gardens and things they grow food in," Lapis comments. "Lucy likes helping with the garden, she's my friend."

Vitally important information here. Lucy is a very important friend to Lapis.

"Animals really like Lucy and most of her brothers and sisters, I think it's some kind of magic maybe or maybe it's just because animals are afraid of humans but Lucy isn't a human."

There are many possibilities.

"Oh! I don't have to take breaks because I don't get tired from working! I've got a star for a heart so I've always got lots of energy!"

The fact that Lapis is full of energy is definitely hard to miss.

When told to ask her mom about dating she mostly just seems thoughtful. Do any of her friends date? She isn't sure. Obviously Mother would know the answer since Mother is very wise.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

"Ah, that's good," replies Asami distractedly. She kept building while Lapis was talking, looking her way briefly from time to time "Humans are animals, too," she bluntly corrects Lapis.

Upon hearing mention of Lapis having a star for a heart, though, Asami's hand freezes in place as she begins to put down another coin. Surprised, she stares at Lapis for a second before fading into a cloud of light and instantly traveling to Lapis' side, returning to her physical form and closely examining Lapis. Asami reached a hand out towards Lapis' chest and tried to gleam just how much energy Lapis was giving off, using a sort of spiritual sense.

Skeptical and curious, Asami interogates Lapis. "How can you have a star for heart!? Just one star is responsible for the energy of all life on the planet, and can last for billions of years. How would it even fit?"

Asami is very passionate about stars.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

Lapis wrinkles her nose at the correction. "I don't think that's right animals don't have hopes and dreams like humans do and other people who aren't humans have got hopes and dreams too and because they're full of hopes and dreams that makes them ask lots of questions so they can try to learn how to make those hopes and dreams come true!"

Hopes and dreams are very important!

Oh!

And then Asami is in Lapis' personal space!

Lapis wasn't really expecting that so she isn't sure what she's supposed to do.

For the record, Lapis has no spiritual presence to speak of. No soul, no spirit, no ki, no chakra, no life force, no metaphysical essence of any kind. In many cosmologies even rocks have some sort of spiritual presence. Lapis does not. She is an absolute spiritual void.

She's also outputting the equivalent of several grams per second of mass-energy, fusing elements lighter than iron together until they form iron which is the element at which no further energy can be acquired via fusion. That is, of course, quite tiny for a star. A main sequence star burns millions of tons of mass every second. But Lapis is only a very small star so it makes sense that she wouldn't burn anywhere near that much.

"I think it's just a very little one I'm not very big yet Mother is WAY bigger than me."
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Playground in the Playground

Asami slowly raises the palm of her right hand to her face, frustrated by Lapis' answer. "Humans ARE an animal species. So if you say 'They're different because they can do 'thing'', then that just makes them the only animal able to do 'thing'."

Though slightly miffed, she becomes shocked once again upon being completely unable to detect anything with her spiritual sense, and being that she focused on using that, it'd be harder for her to even tell Lapis was there at all. Thus, her movements would be slightly more careless. Backing up to just outside the outer bounds of Lapis' personal space, Asami's eyes lit up at Lapis, starting to treat the younger girl as a science experiment. "I see... What's your surface temperature then?" It wasn't clear if Asami was talking to Lapis or the Star in her chest, as that would be where Asami was looking, added with the fact Asami did have some affinity for stars in the first place and could tell qualities about them intuitively.