Riverside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Re: Riverside

Post by Reinholdt »

[Project Icarus]

"I didn't think Phyrexians made mistakes," Nahlrae observes.

He'll accept the myr's offer and gets out of the vat, covered in uncomfortable amounts of slime and dripping it all over the floor. "... I'm getting a cookie," Nahlrae declares, in defiance of his Mother's no food after midnight rule, and starts waddling out. His slimed onesie leaves goopy footprints on the ground of a cookie criminal at large.
► SHOW SPOILER

Tags:
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Project Icarus]

Some of us do mistakes all the time. In fact, you might even say their whole existence is one big mistake. An oddly bitter statement from Tauron. Too bad Nahlrae won't get to reply to it before he wakes up.

Back in the waking world, the myr's will shower him off before he goes anywhere. But they won't be stopping him from getting a cookie.
"Yes, yes... do that." Tauron remarks as he gives him a brief glance before looking back to Ilpholin's corpse as it's being lifted out of the tank. "I am going to see if I'm going to bring back your mother-" He pauses, turning his attention to the HALeluljah. "Actually, could you show me the footage of our visitors?"
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Weird William's

Vastr gives the mermaid a thumb's up and goes back to his rum.

The cheese-eaters turn to look at Sanaa as she approaches, the gambling stopping dead. "Yes, yes I would. May I see them?" He pulls a jewellers loupe out and a set of scales, though Sanaa might note that the weights with it are a little large for how heavy they allege to be. He's a man wearing a rather nice grey pinstripe suit, which almost looks tailored- though as it sits a little awkwardly on his shoulders, he's either recently lost weight or it was made for someone else. He's got a wispy moustache and black hair, mostly short but he's got a long rat-tail dangling down the back. There's six others, also wearing suits, but they're not as nice; either look cheaper, or not tailored, or a far worse fit, or in the case of the twitchy young woman with the long nose at the back, mismatched with obvious repairs to the jacket, a straight stitch stretching two centimetres over the chest opposite a pocket.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

[Theories of Necromantic Adhesion]

"Eh, I don't know." Reilana shrugs, unconcerned. "I just like this kind of stuff, you know? I don't really have grand plans or whatever. I'm enjoying it, so I'll keep learning more about it. I don't really see that changing anytime soon."
~Images by Soushiyo
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Project Icarus]

'Their' existence? Interesting. Slip of the tongue, or did Tauron consider himself separate somehow? Nahlrae won't push to find out at this time, there are cookies to be hunted.

HALlelujah flicks on a monitor to the foyer where the Phyrexians are packed in and restless. "Getting Mistress Xar'cha online and functioning as soon as possible is probably the best way to keep them from going on an enraged rampage... but I offer no promises." They may start breaking things regardless.
► SHOW SPOILER
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Moth Park: Midnight

The light of the full moon trickles down upon Moth Park, casting its silver light on everything and casting deep, black shadows everywhere it cannot reach. It is chilling, and dark, and unusually cold. There's nobody about, or at least their shouldn't be; the gates are locked, the police cruise past, and nobody's allowed in.

That doesn't stop everyone, however. and there's a moment where the moonlight hits the gazebo just right, and the arch of its entrance seems to glow, as though the moon on the other side was hitting it at another angle to the rest of the park. A woman stumbles out, and the glow cuts out. She's apparently human, tall and slender, with pale skin and tawny brown hair, large brown eyes. She's wearing a pair of ripped jeans and a beat-up leather jacket, worn trainers on her feet. Or, at least, that's what she looks like to mundane senses.

She remains a woman in her late twenties, but she's even slimmer, her arms and especially her legs stretched out, her eyes are marked with a pale stripe around them, and a pair of small ridged horns, mostly straight, grow from her head.

Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

Arkhosia wrote: Feb 23, 2023 5:31 am [Big Trouble - Post Scriptum]

Ana blinks, some gears starting to finally click as she looks at the fading bruise. "Wait, you - ohmigosh, you got into a fight, didn't you?" Those blue eyes fill with concern, even after all of Atsede's relentless teasing. "What happened? Did you get hurt? Is everything okay?"
Gullara wrote: Feb 27, 2023 3:16 am [Big Trouble - Post Scriptum]

Eliseo just wears an amused little smile as Atsede gets peppered with questioned. He might have realized this would happen.
[Big Trouble - Post Scriptum]

"What? Yeah, I mean, of course! You think I got this from skating or something?" Nevermind the fact that their first meeting literally involved her bailing hard off her board. "But nah, nah, I'm fine. Got jumped by some assholes who think they're hot shit- Jayden, Zaro, and that fuckin' roadkill witch always sticking around Dulcie. Pretty sure they all just hate that I got more game than 'em. Chased em off though." She seemed quite proud of this whole thing, in a weird way.

"Eli helped too." She added, as an afterthought, as if the only reason she hadn't gotten out with worse was because of him showing up. It was hard to tell if she was doing this in a joking way, or was trying to make herself sound cooler to Anastasia.
Bismark wrote:Silence, birb-wench.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Reinholdt wrote: Mar 03, 2023 6:11 am [Project Icarus]

'Their' existence? Interesting. Slip of the tongue, or did Tauron consider himself separate somehow? Nahlrae won't push to find out at this time, there are cookies to be hunted.

HALlelujah flicks on a monitor to the foyer where the Phyrexians are packed in and restless. "Getting Mistress Xar'cha online and functioning as soon as possible is probably the best way to keep them from going on an enraged rampage... but I offer no promises." They may start breaking things regardless.
[Project Icarus]

Tauron stares at the monitor's screen impassively. Not that he's ever been great at making expressions.
"...this is bad." He declares as soon as he spots their leader, as he does seem to recognize her.
He turns to HALlelujah. "You said they were sent by Norn? That doesn't make sense unless things have changed radically..." The last parts more mutterings to himself. "The reassembling process will still take hours so they will need to be addressed first. If you will allow me, I think this can be handled diplomatically. We're all supposedly on the same side here after all."

The night is chilly and the park around her is empty.
Not a soul in sight despite the fact she seems to be in the middle of a city.

Yet there's a dark shape laying on the grass not far away from the gazebo and it doesn't look like it belonged there. Could it be a person? Or perhaps a large object? It certainly looks out of place in the otherwise so immaculately trimmed lawn that makes up the park.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Project Icarus]

"I'm afraid I can't let you to do that Doctor," HALlelujah says, the lab doors audibly closing, locking and sealing. "The risk is too great to allow a physical meeting at this time. You may, however, confer with them via a video call. Shall I patch you through?" If Tauron agrees to this, HALlelujah will raise a monitor for him to speak through that is conveniently angled to not show Ilpholin or most of the lab, an equivalent monitor sliding out of the wall near the Phyrexian leader.
► SHOW SPOILER
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

The woman is familiar with Riverside; she wasn't expecting the darkness, but she recognises the park. In some respects, she's never been here before; in others, she's returning after a long absence, and from a certain point of view she never really left.

After looking at her bare wrist, where she once wore a watch, she looks around and spots the object. There's no one around, and she's reasonably sure she's locked into the park for now, so... she doesn't have much better to do and so she goes to investigate it.

Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

"What do you mean, fine? You got hit!" In a sudden motion Ana's leaning over the table, hands raising to tilt Atsede by the cheek as she fusses over the ugly purple mark around her eye. "Those jerks really went after you? That's not right, we should tell -" Hold on a minute. "Wait, Reilana was there? Why would she - ?"

After a moment, Anastasia pauses long enough to look over at Eliseo. "You were there too? Why didn't you tell me? You didn't get hurt too, did you??" Both of them might know by now that the kitsune really doesn't like people getting into fights, but any disappointment she'd express about this seems to take a backseat to making sure everyone is okay.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Project Icarus]

Tauron looks like he's about to protest, judging by how he's raising his surgical claws in response the the doors closing. But once HALlelujah adds the second part he lowers them again. "Of course I wouldn't want to meet her in person. Svartha is not a rational being, quite the opposite actually. So being in her immediate vicinity is often unwise. I was planning to use a servant to communicate with her, but as you have a better alternative you can go ahead."

The link is established and-
► SHOW SPOILER

As it turns out, the 'object' is in fact a person. A red-haired girl laying face down on the grass. It isn't clear how she ended up there but she seems wounded. The metallic scent of blood staining her street wear in more ways than one. But despite their blemished state they look too fresh and good quality to belong to a hobo. She seems too young to be one too but you never know in a city like riverside.

She remains unmoving as the woman approaches. In fact, she might be dead as it isn't clear if she's breathing or not.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Well, this is... unexpected. She's going to look over the girl, reach out and feel for a pulse, and she's going to sharpen her senses to look through illusions, identifying if the girl is indeed a girl and if she's got a Mask like her own. Not that the woman knows she has a Mask; there are many things she has to figure out.

Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

"Oh, well, I guess I forgot right away, and then we had other stuff going on." Like being in the most trouble they've ever been in, as far as he's concerned. "I never fought anyone. Someone had to pull this hothead out before she got worse than a black eye." Eliseo can't help but spoil Atsede's own framing a bit.
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

As soon as she touches the girls wrist her head almost turns 180 degrees at what should be an impossible angle for anyone with a spine. Her now wide-open eyes lock into the masked woman and she grins widely.
Since at the same time the hand of the wrist she grabbed makes a similar impossible turn and attempts to grab a hold of her hand, her nails trying to dig into her flesh.

[Project Icarus]

As the screen flickers to life and shows Tauron in the laboratory.
This immediately draws the attention of the phyrexians and Svartha, as she seems to be called, steps forward. "You." She points a wicked claw in the surgeons direction. "You should be dead."

"I'm sorry to disappoint." There's a certain smugness to Tauron's voice. "But perhaps its best if we skip through all the insults and go-"

"I was sure it was one of Norn's creatures running this place but this is so much better."

"I'm not running-"

"Obviously not, but sometimes you believe you do."

"Do you want-"

"I'm in charge now. That's what I 'want'. Now tell whoever you serve to open up this base for up for us so we can set up our defenses. Otherwise we might interrupt whatever it is you're doing and by the sound of it, that's something everyone here is desperate to avoid."

At this point Tauron let's out a frustrated sound. Whatever bluster he had now gone after that exchange.
"I'm afraid you will have to rely on the entity that controls this facility as much as I. But as long as you and your allies stay out of this section of the facility it might allow it."

That would be HALlelujah's cue to speak.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Moth Park- Midnight

The nails dig in, and the girl tries pulling back away, and should break free easily- part of her nature makes it harder to keep hold of her, though there's a nasty scratch left behind anyway. She'll step back, and lashes out with a kick to the lying person's head.

Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Moth Park- Midnight

At this point the girls nails are on their way to be called 'claws' as they've grown and hardened significantly in just these few moments. So that scratch will be especially nasty as the woman breaks away from what should have been an ironclad grip.
She's kicked in the face but makes no sound of pain. Then again, anyone that can twist their spine like that probably doesn't feel much of it.

Still grinning she starts getting up on all fours and starts to move towards the woman like a gigantic human-shaped spider.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Moth Park- Midnight

That's... that's creepy and scary. The newcomer doesn't have a weapon, and she's not feeling especially brave, so... She's going to turn and run. She's fleet-footed, and running straight for the gates into Moth Park. She can't get through them if they're locked, but she might be able to get past it anyway- or lose her assailant in the Park before they get out.

Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Moth Park- Midnight

It's a good thing she's familiar with Riverside or she might not have known in what direction to flee in the dark of night.
She can hear the movements of the girl-creature just behind her as all her limbs seems to move in tandem with one another as she skitters ever closer.
Then she can see it, the iron-wrought gates of the park.
And there's creature of some sort trying to squeeze in-between the bars. But being roughly the size of a larger dog they're not managing all that well.
It would seem like the gates are locked at night though as can see the chains binding them in the low light of the two lamp posts just outside the gate.
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

Arkhosia wrote: Mar 07, 2023 6:14 pm [Big Trouble - Post Scriptum]

"What do you mean, fine? You got hit!" In a sudden motion Ana's leaning over the table, hands raising to tilt Atsede by the cheek as she fusses over the ugly purple mark around her eye. "Those jerks really went after you? That's not right, we should tell -" Hold on a minute. "Wait, Reilana was there? Why would she - ?"

After a moment, Anastasia pauses long enough to look over at Eliseo. "You were there too? Why didn't you tell me? You didn't get hurt too, did you??" Both of them might know by now that the kitsune really doesn't like people getting into fights, but any disappointment she'd express about this seems to take a backseat to making sure everyone is okay.
Gullara wrote: Mar 09, 2023 4:13 am [Big Trouble - Post Scriptum]

"Oh, well, I guess I forgot right away, and then we had other stuff going on." Like being in the most trouble they've ever been in, as far as he's concerned. "I never fought anyone. Someone had to pull this hothead out before she got worse than a black eye." Eliseo can't help but spoil Atsede's own framing a bit.

"Hey, wait, Strawberry, no I'm fine- seriously!" Now it was Atsede's turn to blush, mysteriously, as Anastasia leaned in to fret over her. Shame didn't come easily to the changeling, but she strangely felt a tiny tinge of it when her friend chastised them both for not telling her. "No, I'm not gonna tell on anyone, what am I, like, five? And I said, didn't I?" No, Atsede, "hate that I got more game than them." is not really explaining why Reilana was there. Perhaps realizing this, she clarified, "She was mad at me over dumping Dulcie. I mean, she shouldn't be, like I mean, c'mon, it's obvious those two have a thing for each other. She should be happy I'm no longer dating her!" Atsede herself had only really noticed this after dating Dulcie, to be fair, but she felt like it was a valid point.

She looks over at Eliseo as he bursts her bubble somewhat. "Hey, like, I coulda taken them all if I wanted to!" She says, a little defensively, despite the obvious mistruth of it. She was going to open her mouth to once again voice the opinion that he should have helped her kick their asses instead of pulling her out before stopping, as she imagined the disappointed look on Anastasia's face. Didn't wanna get Eliseo into even more trouble now. She might be willing to mock them both relentlessly for getting in serious trouble with the teachers and their parents, but getting him in trouble with his girlfriend?
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

"She was -" Ana blinks. "Well I mean, like, of course she was mad at you! You dumped her in the middle of a movie, she was griping about it for like a week! Still though- wow, I can't believe she did that! Like, she can be a jerk sometimes, but there's no way Dulcinea'd be okay with it!" She frets a little over Atsede's bruise again for a moment before pulling away again.

"That's - that's not gonna happen again, is it?" The fox glances between them. "I don't wanna see you two getting into fights, and I really don't wanna see you two getting hurt!" Not to mention see both of them grounded even more!
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Project Icarus]

A second monitor pops to life, flickering on with a warm glow and revealing a scowling face framed by long purple hair. Deep emerald eyes with black sclera stare down at Svartha with cold calculation.

"Wrong. I did it here," Ilpholin clarifies, speaking curtly. "Whatever dead cow you have with my pet doctor stays outside. Where you can return if you continue being rude. Let me lighten your position. You are guests in my home. You are afforded the defenses that comes with that title. You are safe. But this is my house and you follow my own rules there. Are we clear?"
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Project Icarus]

Svartha's eyes narrows as she gazes back at this new face. "And who're you supposed to be?"

"That's-" It isn't clear if Tauron acts out of sheer surprise or simple tries to stay relevant in this discussion but either way he's getting cut off again.

"No one asked you." Svartha remarks without as much giving the doctor a glance. "Since you are no praetor." She continues, her words aimed at who at least seem to be Ilpholin. "And I'm acting on the behalf of one. Thus my authority should supersede yours."
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Project Icarus]

The Phyrexian Nymph tilts her head up slightly. "I am Ilpholin Ghaunaer Xar'cha." Her hand waves towards the screen. "And you... you are reinforcements, said you. In other words, if anything, you were sent to work under me. Do you want me to believe that you went out looking for me and begged to enter my hole for some other reason? Maybe I should talk to Elesh Norn and see if you don't interpret your orders just to maintain your pride."
► SHOW SPOILER
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

The woman stops as she reaches the gate, which is locked, and smiles. She reaches out and knocks on it, muttering "Open sesame." She flinches away after, and nothing notably has happened- the gates remain shut, though now she's grazed her knuckles. Not enough to seriously injure, but it hurts a lot. So instead she's going to have to run somewhere else, heading away from the gate and both entities she's encountered so far, running parallel to the fence until she's got enough of a runup she can try jumping over it.

Eastside, Residential Area, Also Midnight

Inside a terraced house, a woman sleeps with her husband. She's human, in her early thirties, tall and slightly chubby, with pale skin and tawny brown hair. Her husband's got some orcish blood, and is a similar age; he's also sleeping very deeply, not stirring even though his wife's sleep is clearly restless and unhappy, if anyone could see to judge. At the same moment in Moth Park there's a knocking at the gate, she jerks awake and starts panting, looking around desperately trying to figure out what happened. Dismissing it as a nightmare, she gets up and strides to the window to get a breath of fresh air. She'll open it and lean out, her eyes drawn towards Moth Park for reasons she can't explain and doesn't understand.

Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

"I'm not planning on it. Promise." Eliseo bumps his shoulder into hers and gives her a reassuring smile. "Can't make any promises for Atsede, though. Girl's trouble." He shoots the other girl a grin.

"Reilana's such an ice queen. Didn't expect her to lash out like that either, honestly. I guess you struck a nerve. The other two made sense. They're idiots."
~Images by Soushiyo
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

"In my defense, it was a really boring movie!" Atsede protests. With tastes like that, the two clearly weren't compatible. She opened her mouth to say something more on the topic, and maybe throw a few more barbs Reilana's way, but was interrupted as Anastasia briefly returned her attentions to her. "I said I was fine..." she mumbled, feeling momentarily meeker than usual.

Eliseo was right on the money though. "Nah, I'm not finished with that asshole Jayden!" She cracks her knuckles grumpily. I'm not gonna get another black eye or anything though, I mean, they're not gonna get the jump on me again." As if that would reassure Ana.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

"I'll talk to Dulcinea about it," Ana resolves, pursing her lower lip. Getting into a fight was one thing, but the last thing she wanted was it happening between people that she both considered friends.

And speaking of, Atsede's last remarks don't seem to go over very well. Ana's tails both briefly bristle, and she pivots back with a look of shock and alarm. "No! Ohmigod, I know he's a jerk but like -you can't just try and pick a fight with him! A-and if you do I'll- um-" she hesitates. "I won't hang out with you for a week!" There, that's an adequate threat right?
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

"Oh shit, she's serious." Eliseo dawns a wicked grin. "You know, this is a pretty good tactic. I bet with some effort you could turn her into a well behaved student."
~Images by Soushiyo
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

Atsede made a face at Anastasia's suggestion of talking to Dulcie. Even if it wouldn't be her doing it, the idea of someone talking to her ex to try and get said ex to talk down her friend on Atsede's behalf was not an idea she relished.

The changeling hadn't quite expected Anastasia's reaction to be so intense. Although, for all it had made the fox bristle, Atsede could only blink in confusion at what was said. That's what she was going to go with as a threat? And hang on, well-behaved student!? Gods forbid. She shot Eliseo a dirty look, "What, me!? Ew, no, never," before trying to formulate a reply to the fox that wouldn't land her in hot water.

"What do you mean!? Why can't I? He threw the first punch, not me, so I'd hardly be picking a fight! If anything-" She paused. Okay, maybe dial it back a bit. She folded her arms with a huff. "Fine. I won't. If it makes you happy." This was a lie. She was still absolutely going to get that bastard back, but Strawberry didn't need to know that.