Inside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Re: Inside

Post by [brackets lover] »

[Playground in the Playground]

Asami seemed a bit squeamish at the sight of the Kylder being born, though managed to steel her nerves, waving back to the first Kylder. Once the pair are out of sight, Asami lowers herself from the tree branch, though stumbles on her way and falls directly to the ground flat on her face. "Ow..."she bemoans, grimacing.

She dusts herself off and stands, instinctively correcting Lapis, "Lol, its called a Smartphone. Has more than just games, but don't go through everything on it. Some stuff is, um, private." Asami scratches one of her cheeks and looks to the side, blushing slightly. "Anyways, who's Cern? A friend of yours?"

As Lapis expresses her concern, Asami bluntly replies, "That's not something I'm concerned with. I'm young, so its fine to let other people handle things for me."

The sheer hypocrisy of Asami goes completely over her head.

Tags:
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Playground in the Playground

The two kyldren are wandering off, heading to a narrow street where they can find their way to the deserted alleyways, forgotten courtyards and lost spaces where they usually dwell.

The abandoned cocoon at the bottom of the hole in the sand is desiccating rapidly, shrivelling and drying out in the light, as the black goo also dries into a clumpy, cloggy mass of tacky black. There might be more in the sandpit, deeper or against other sides, or whatever led to the cocoon's presence deep in the sand might mean there's others nearby too, or there could be other things buried near the cocoon providing clues as to how it got there.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

"You should land on your feet when you jump off things it doesn't hurt as much," Lapis helpfully points out. "I had to learn not to land on my face it wasn't very fun but now I'm better at jumping!"

Learning how to jump properly is very important when playing with the Frescots.

Speaking of!

"He's my friend Lucy's brother but here's your smartphone back I don't really like playing the games on the Switch or other things they aren't very fun," Lapis admits, waving the device back at Asami. What sort of child doesn't like video games?

The Lapis sort, apparently.

But then it sounds like they aren't following the kyldren! Which is fine Lapis didn't have a quest for it anyway. So instead she begins peering THROUGH the sand to see if there's anything else buried down there! There usually is. Just not things that are very interesting. Like lost change and sometimes kitty poop.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Asami glares at Lapis, "Do you ever shut up?"

She shakes her head, accepting the phone back and moving on, looking annoyed. "Well, fine, then; Let's just go back to Trog's."

Asami starts walking off, heading back in the direction of the tavern.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

In the sand there's several things. There's another cocoon, on the other side of the pit and not as deep; it's not hatched but it's shrivelled anyway, too close to the surface and exposed to too much light whilst it was developing. There's also a brass ring, set with a blue spinel, not too deep in the sand but deep enough to be hard to find without a metal detector. There's a Felandria action figure, buried long enough ago her once nice clothes are disintegrating and her hair's matted. At the very bottom of the sandpit, beneath everything else, is a stone sarcophagus wrapped in lead-molybdenum chains. It's more than five metres deep, however, and getting it without using magic would be very tricky.

They kyldren are about to disappear around the corner; this is the last chance to follow them.

Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

Oh, there's a question.

A question that doesn't sound very nice.

A question that sounds quite mean, in fact.

Lapis looks hurt by it, sitting down at the edge of the sandbox. "You can go. Mother just wanted me to show you the playground," Lapis sniffs.

Maybe she should just stay here and play in the sand. Asami really doesn't seem very friendly.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Asami was no stranger to the feelings of others, owing to her ability to literally see changes to one's internal body temperature. A sort of infared vision.

Thus, when Lapis starts sulking, Asami stops in her tracks and does a double take in confusion. She then light-warps to face Lapis, bowing down on her knees and lowering her head. "Uh, um, i'm sorry about what I just said."
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

Shadowcaller wrote: Mar 05, 2023 2:52 pm [Hospital Waiting Room]

"It's a fine name." Ambrosia agrees rather redundantly.
"Poor thing, must have exhausted himself crying already. Being born is hard work, or so I heard." She smiles. "He should be glad he's not like his mother in that sense." It isn't really clear who she's talking to at this point.
[Hospital Waiting Room]

Ambrosia glances up at Thariza. "What do you mean, Thariza?" She asks, suddenly curious even if her attention keeps drifting back to the baby in her arms.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Morty »

[Hospital Waiting Room]

"Well, I gave birth twice but didn't really raise those cubs. You didn't give birth but you'll raise him. Kind of feels like we've arrived from opposite directions." Thariza leans over to Ugi and sniffs the air. "I will help with him, though. If you need it."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Morty wrote: Mar 17, 2023 7:00 pm [Hospital Waiting Room]

"Well, I gave birth twice but didn't really raise those cubs. You didn't give birth but you'll raise him. Kind of feels like we've arrived from opposite directions." Thariza leans over to Ugi and sniffs the air. "I will help with him, though. If you need it."
[Hospital Waiting Room]

"Oh, of course. Yes. Quite... curious." Thariza might get the feeling Ambrosia thought she meant something else. "I still need to see him... like he really is. But I need to be patient. These sort of things shouldn't be forced and either way, he's beautiful don't you think?" She smiles.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Hospital Waiting Room]

Fettina can't do anything but softly laugh. It's got that sweet, lyrical quality to it that Kirk's likely well familiar with by now. The kind of sound you wish you could capture in a bottle. In spite of it, she seems distressed as much as she does enthused.

"What a question," Tina says. She looks a little strung out. A little unbalanced. "I... don't know. I guess I just... do the best I can, huh?"
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

Well.

Lapis wasn't expecting the other kid to suddenly flash up into her face all of a sudden like that.

Definitely kind of strange. A little surprising. But nice that she's apologizing. Lapis glances between the star? and the various oddities buried in the sand. The big chained box definitely seems suspicious! Though maybe that isn't as important as what Asami is saying right now. It sure SEEMS like she's really sorry.

"I forgive you,"
Lapis replies after a few moments of hesitation. "Why did you say something so mean?"
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Asami recoils back a bit at Lapis' questioning, blushing slightly and touching the tips of her index fingers together. "Eto... I just wasn't thinking. I'm not used to talking to people younger than me." She lets out a deep breath, relaxing her posture. "I'm... Glad to have met you."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

Lapis considers that reply, the gears in her mind turning.

Asami wasn't thinking.

But that isn't what those words mean, Lapis thinks. She was thinking. But she wasn't considering her words before she spoke them. She acted hastily. Lapis usually doesn't do that. She always has plenty of time to think about what she's going to say. Sometimes she thinks for too long, but people usually don't notice because what's a long time to her and what's a long time to them are very different things.

The world moves so slowly.

"I'm glad, too," Lapis replies. "Do you still want to go back to the tavern? There are lots of things under the sand and some of them look like they might be neat or dangerous or maybe both."
Wolfbane
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by Wolfbane »

Halae wrote: Mar 12, 2023 2:15 pm [Streetside Shrine]

"Investigating the local graveyard," Verity explains, "Seeing what lurks there. Nothing dangerous at this point, thankfully, though ghouls were there in the past, according to the local ghosts. Something about a small group of heroes going to clear them out."
Streetside Shrine

"Are the graveyards around here really so restless?" Miyuu asks, furrowing her brow as she settles back down. Whatever had raised her hackles seems to have faded and the rain starts to lighten up into a shower instead. "I would think places around here would be able to keep the spirits calmed a little more often. Or at least keep the ghouls at bay better if they have been a problem in the past." She pauses for a moment, sipping her tea as she considers a thought.

"Do you have another you need to visit? I could accompany you if needed."

The Inside Docks

The Matron quirks an eyebrow at Henry's admission that someone ended up rather hurt. "...I think we shall hold off on that then, indeed." She agrees. She looks towards the city and after a moment of thought pulls out her staff from the air. She simply raises it, the top glowing sickly green for a brief moment before she slams it down upon the deck with a loud clap. The fog plaguing the docks stills and recoils, slinking back to the water from whence it came. Despite the lack of eyes, the Matron looks upon her work with pride and nods. "I may not have much in the way of weather magic, but I light the paths ordained before us. Or in this case, you two." She says, gesturing towards the clearing fog. "I will have the ship ready by the time you return."

And should nothing keep Henry, Michalson, or Nelle, they will likely all return around the same time to find the docks far less busy, The Narhum ready to go, and the Matron waiting patiently alongside a rather svelte catperson wearing an antiquated naval uniform. They seem to be arguing over the guest arrangements for who will stay where, but the Captain sighs and gives in when the elf just reaches up to rub their ears.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

"Hm?"

Asami tilts her head curiously, standing up and gazing out over the sandpit.

"Lemme check."

Asami eyes shine with an opague golden yellow glow, allowing her vision to penetrate the barrier that is the sand, as well as see through any illusions cast. She nodded her head with intrigue, reaching towards the blue spinel brass ring and picking it up, brushing off the sand.

"This looks valuable. Possibly sentimental to someone, too. Do you have any abilities that allow you to find out who it belongs to?"

She nodded her head, musing over the ring.

"Everything else is too deep for me to dig out or junk, so we should figure out what to do with this ring. The owner may possibly come back for it, but if we leave it here, someone else may take it. And if the owner's not looking for it, there's no reason not to keep it for ourselves. What do you think we should do, Lappy?"

She had uttered that nickname with a hint of fondness, preferring it to using Lapis' actual name.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Halae »

Wolfbane wrote: Mar 21, 2023 8:41 pm Streetside Shrine

"Are the graveyards around here really so restless?" Miyuu asks, furrowing her brow as she settles back down. Whatever had raised her hackles seems to have faded and the rain starts to lighten up into a shower instead. "I would think places around here would be able to keep the spirits calmed a little more often. Or at least keep the ghouls at bay better if they have been a problem in the past." She pauses for a moment, sipping her tea as she considers a thought.

"Do you have another you need to visit? I could accompany you if needed."
[Streetside Shrine]

"It's part of the way the Nexus works, unfortunately. As near as I can tell, it's constantly attempting to force things to be 'interesting', and that means my presence, as someone who regularly deals with the dead, may be causing the troubles. At the same time, it's nothing I'm incapable of dealing with."
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

The Inside Docks

Nelle does reappear, though she's visible this time. She's a pale-skinned elf with very dark eyes and silver-white hair, wearing a pair of jeans and a black trenchcoat. She's pulling behind her a wheeled suitcase presumably filled with her clothing and other belongings, and in her hand she's carrying a potted plant- a moonbell plant, tinkling as it's jostled and moved.

The ring is recovered, and it looks just the right size for Asami's ring finger.

Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

"Only if it's got a quest attached to it," Lapis replies, looking at the ring curiously. A broad smile spreads across her face. "Oh it's so pretty I love it! If it does belong to someone then they must miss it terribly I hope they wished to find it again so there's a quest for it."

Lapis pauses, tilting her head to the side a little as she studies Asami.

"Do you get quests when people wish on your star? That happens with empyreans like me people make wishes and we hear them if they're something that has something to do with our Path or sometimes if it's just a sort of quest we've been interested in before or sometimes if we just find something that's part of the quest like a special item."

Lapis is really hoping someone wished to find their ring again.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Asami pockets the ring, grinning slightly.

"Well, that makes this easy. I'll just hold onto it until there's a quest for it."

Asami shakes her head.

"As a Kami, I can only hear the prayers of my followers. But, like, if i'm not really paying attention, I don't really hear them all too clearly, and I tend to forget. I don't know, i'm not big on answering prayers unless its for someone I like."

She droops down for a bit before righting herself, absent-mindedly looking out to the horizon.

"Well, there isn't anything else of note, is there? I think I do wanna go back to the tavern, now. You coming with or?"

She patiently awaits Lapis' reply.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

"I'm not big enough to have followers like Mother or my big sister Selekhael since I'm still really little and also not very old yet but I've got my very own Path which has be fun and exciting and kind of a little scary too," Lapis rambles as she hops off the edge of the sandbox and begins walking along a line in the sidewalk like it's a balance beam.

"Mother says it's a really big responsibility since followers know what your Path is but they only know what THEY think your Path is and sometimes their ideas aren't very Correct so you have to guide them so they're doing it right because otherwise other people might not get the right idea for what your Path is about and that can be bad sometimes."

It looks like she's heading towards the tavern?
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Asami nods her head as Lapis talks, walking alongside Lapis in the middle of the street.

"I see... that sounds similar to the 'gods' on Earth. Only, they're all very irresponsible. Are you immortal, Lapis?"

Asami wouldn't be paying attention to the direction they were going, trusting Lapis to be talking them back to the tavern.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

Murkus wrote: Mar 19, 2023 12:03 am [Hospital Waiting Room]

Fettina can't do anything but softly laugh. It's got that sweet, lyrical quality to it that Kirk's likely well familiar with by now. The kind of sound you wish you could capture in a bottle. In spite of it, she seems distressed as much as she does enthused.

"What a question," Tina says. She looks a little strung out. A little unbalanced. "I... don't know. I guess I just... do the best I can, huh?"
[Hospital Waiting Room]

Kirk lets that settle for a moment, and then nods. "Yeah, I suppose that's right." Then he looks away towards the room Dena is. "I think someone ought to go see Dena now, though, and..." He shrugs a little. "I'll be back if you're not planning on joining." He looks at the baby again, wondering how Dena is feeling about all this.

If there are no protests he'll go to that door and give it a small knock. "It's me."
~Images by Soushiyo
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Hospital Waiting Room]

He mostly seems small, fragile and wrinkly, but Thariza won't say that.

"Sure is." She glances over at Tina and Cantata. "And over there is his half-brother. Tina seems a bit overwhelmed."

[The Inside Docks]

Michalson hasn't met many cat-people in his years, but rubbing one's ears seems like a very forward gesture all the same. The detective is carrying a travelling bag and is once more using his cane. This trip will likely test the limits of his leg.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

The Inside Docks

Henry is also carrying a bag, though he's only taken a shower instead of doing all the reporting Michalson probably has.
He clears his throat at seeing the pair argue, holding up a hand shyly.
"Um. If it helps I only really need a bathtub or something. Since you know." He waves a hand at his gills. "...fish."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Gullara wrote: Mar 23, 2023 2:20 am [Hospital Waiting Room]

Kirk lets that settle for a moment, and then nods. "Yeah, I suppose that's right." Then he looks away towards the room Dena is. "I think someone ought to go see Dena now, though, and..." He shrugs a little. "I'll be back if you're not planning on joining." He looks at the baby again, wondering how Dena is feeling about all this.

If there are no protests he'll go to that door and give it a small knock. "It's me."
Morty wrote: Mar 23, 2023 9:01 pm [Hospital Waiting Room]

He mostly seems small, fragile and wrinkly, but Thariza won't say that.

"Sure is." She glances over at Tina and Cantata. "And over there is his half-brother. Tina seems a bit overwhelmed."
[Hospital Waiting Room]

Ambrosia looks up as if noticing Tina for the first time. "I'm sure that she will get used to it. Eventually. She should consider herself fortunate that she isn't raising a dragon though. Heard that's rather difficult." She let's out a snort of amusement which causes a puff of smoke leave her nose.

But after that little outburst she closes her eyes and even to Thariza it should be clear that Ambrosia is quite tired. "We should go home."

"They do need to get some vaccinations, and there's the paperwork..." The nurse makes a dismissive gesture. "But I can make sure those parts are cleared up soon enough."

She might muster some kind of objection that a dragon wouldn't need the same kind of vaccines as a human but that would require arguing and she didn't want to do that with her child in her arms for the very first time.

Meanwhile, Kirk is knocking on the door.

There's no immediate reply, but he can hear what might be one through the door.
It's not much more than a murmur though.
But it sounds like an acknowledging of his presence at least.
If he opens the door he will find Dena in bed looking at him with half-open eyes.
"Took your time." She mumbles.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

[Hospital Waiting Room]

Cantata looks between Tina and the baby for a moment, watching Kirk head on forward. "I can hold him for you, if you want to talk to her," she offers.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Hospital Waiting Room]

"No, I've gotta come," Fettina insists. She glances down at the baby, suddenly panicky, and then smiles at Cantie with relief. "Thanks doll." She very, very carefully moves the little guy around to pass into Cantie's arms.

She will try to follow Kirk, but she doesn't speak up quite yet. Her and Dena still haven't spoken much since they had it out at Tina's apartment. Genuine concern is all over her face, at least.
Felandria
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by Felandria »

Ironsmith wrote: Mar 11, 2023 10:42 am [Down The Drain]

The ratroach takes a few missiles to the face and quickly decides it has better places to be. It scurries off down the tunnel, away from the door.

A quick look through the crack will show Skitty curled up in there, doing her best to stay small and quiet and out of reach of any predators. Such as the ratroaches.

Relatedly, off in the tunnels behind her, the sounds of scratching and scampering intensify with each passing second; Fel's not going to want to be here much longer.
Fel lets out a relieved sigh as she smiles at Skitty.

Come on, sweetie, I’ve got you, you’ll be safe with me.

Fel holds out her hand as Skitty jumps into it, Fel will secure Skitty and head back the way she came as quickly as possible.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Hospital Waiting Room]

"Well you know how it is. A lot going on out there." Kirk quips as he moves over to the bed, though it lacks his usual energy. He finds a chair to pull up next to the bed and seats himself next to her. "I won't patronize you by asking how you're doing. I'm pretty sure the answer is 'shitty'."
~Images by Soushiyo