Trog's Tavern: Roman Numerals Are Dumb

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Re: Trog's Tavern: Roman Numerals Are Dumb

Post by Zefir »

Thursday Violist wrote: Mar 07, 2023 4:50 am She was just listing people she knew. Actually, Mel forgot where she was going with it, regarding the shiny person, too.

Mel nods.
"Yeah, of course," she says.
She stands, and goes over to the tavern's window. She glances out the window, and looks up and down the street. "Okay." She points to the right. "Just go that way three blocks, turn left. Then you're on the market street."
And man, i have to look up his name again, stands up and also goes to the window, looking after the path she mentions.

"Okay, thank you. I hope we meet again someday."
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

Zefir wrote: Mar 09, 2023 7:59 am And man, i have to look up his name again, stands up and also goes to the window, looking after the path she mentions.

"Okay, thank you. I hope we meet again someday."

Mel waves to Reedon (I'm pretty sure that's what his name was).
"Yeah! Same. Good luck finding a job and something to do!" she says.
ForTheGnomes
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by ForTheGnomes »

Morty wrote: Feb 14, 2023 9:13 pm "Disappearing ink? That's a new one." Mai drinks another glass of wine. "But I'm not surprised you can see that. The short version is, Mai isn't my real name. But if I go around introducing myself with my real one, people will forget me once I'm gone. Mai the itineranr laborer is an identity I wear that they'll actually remember."

[Necro-Leaf Research]

"Alright, I'm following your lead. Plants aren't my specialty." Olvisin starts to grind the ingredients as instructed. "Speaking of, do you come from underground too?"
[Necro-Leaf Reasearch]

As Jerick ground herb after herb, he replied to Olvison. "Honestly, I can't remember. It's been so long since I've been home. At least 4 centuries. But, for most of my life I've been traveling. Cities, forests, swamps, caves, et cetera. So, you come underground. Hills, mountains, or otherwise?"
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Necro-Leaf Reasearch]

"A seaside mountain range, riddled with goblin tunnels. I can't remember how old I was when I saw the sky for the first..." Olvisin pauses as something Jerick said catches up to her. "Wait, four centuries?"
ForTheGnomes

Post by ForTheGnomes »

Morty wrote: Mar 20, 2023 9:30 pm [Necro-Leaf Reasearch]

"A seaside mountain range, riddled with goblin tunnels. I can't remember how old I was when I saw the sky for the first..." Olvisin pauses as something Jerick said catches up to her. "Wait, four centuries?"
"Yeah. Right now I think I'm at least five hundred years old. Anyway, now that all the ingredients are ground and the fermented basilisk tissue is crushed, we can begin brewing. This is the oldest method for making potions, but it is still reliable in some circumstances. Due to the the leaf's healing factor, we will have to find a way to counteract it so that it can be incorporated into the concoctions. Any ideas?"

Jerick started rummaging through containers throughout the room, looking for something that can be of use, whilst waiting to see if Olvison has a good idea of something that might be able to suppress the necrotic energy for a while.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by [brackets lover] »

[brackets lover] wrote: Mar 22, 2023 9:51 pm [Playground in the Playground]

Asami nods her head as Lapis talks, walking alongside Lapis in the middle of the street.

"I see... that sounds similar to the 'gods' on Earth. Only, they're all very irresponsible. Are you immortal, Lapis?"

Asami wouldn't be paying attention to the direction they were going, trusting Lapis to be talking them back to the tavern.
Asami arrives through the front doors of the tavern, a weary look on her face and having accumulated a fair amount of dirt on her clothes and skin. "Guess whose back, back again," she sung out loud.

She then makes her way over to the nearest available table, sitting down and slumping her head over it. In a matter of seconds, her eyes would be shut and she'd be gently snoring.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

Lapis accompanies Asami, not sure what the plan is here. It looks like she's ABOUT to answer the question that was posed to her outside but then Asami donks her head against a table and begins dozing off. Lapis isn't quite sure how to react to this.

"Do you need to go to sleep the tavern is also an inn it's got beds and rooms and things to sleep in if you need sleeping."

Meanwhile!

Apparently someone remembered they were talking to June.

"Waitwhat did I miss something?" Zee says quite suddenly, glancing around the tavern as if expecting everything to have shifted around.

It hasn't.

Of course.

But she's left trying to figure out where the conversation was going and generally has little success and instead just nods to June's comments and goes, "Yeah I know what you mean," as she's furiously tracing back along the worldline to recall what it was they were doing.

Something about cultists and adventures and-

Oh right!

Quests!

"And so it feels like you just aren't as wild and exciting as-" Zee pauses, briefly glancing around the tavern until her gaze falls on a big purple dragon-like creature with a bunch of tentacles for a face. "-whatever that guy is? I guess? Well! I can definitely provide quests. I've got a bunch of them! Though I guess the question is what sort of quest are you looking for? Because again: I've got a bunch of them."
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by [brackets lover] »

Asami's attention span allows her to move on from the question entirely. She lazily lifts her head up, turning to Lapis and smiling.

"Yeaaah... I just want to spend... just a little more time with you. Staying up late even when you're tired is a grown-up thing!"

She seemed wholly confidant of this fact, not a shred of doubt in her voice.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Necro-Leaf Reasearch]
ForTheGnomes wrote: Mar 20, 2023 9:50 pm "Yeah. Right now I think I'm at least five hundred years old. Anyway, now that all the ingredients are ground and the fermented basilisk tissue is crushed, we can begin brewing. This is the oldest method for making potions, but it is still reliable in some circumstances. Due to the the leaf's healing factor, we will have to find a way to counteract it so that it can be incorporated into the concoctions. Any ideas?"

Jerick started rummaging through containers throughout the room, looking for something that can be of use, whilst waiting to see if Olvison has a good idea of something that might be able to suppress the necrotic energy for a while.
Olvisin is unsure what to think. She's heard of people living a long time - rumor has it Dena and Kirk are well over a hundred. But it's still hard to wrap her head around. Still, not important right now.

"Add some kind of acidic substance, maybe? It will continually wear onto the leaves and prevent them from regenerating."
ForTheGnomes

Post by ForTheGnomes »

Morty wrote: Mar 23, 2023 9:04 pm [Necro-Leaf Reasearch]

Olvisin is unsure what to think. She's heard of people living a long time - rumor has it Dena and Kirk are well over a hundred. But it's still hard to wrap her head around. Still, not important right now.

"Add some kind of acidic substance, maybe? It will continually wear onto the leaves and prevent them from regenerating."
"Yes, that does sound like it could work..." Jerick took a handful of the leaves and put them glass bowl, along with a clump of the fermented lizard flesh. He then made a mix of two parts black dragon acid and one part water and poured it over the leaves and flesh. As Olvison had predicted, the acid kept the leaves from regenerating too fast. Jerick began to crush everything in the bowl until it was homogenous. Finally, he poured some more boiling water over it. "Now we wait for it to cool. So, how was it like living in a mountain by the sea?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Necro-Leaf Reasearch]

Olvisin scratches her ear in thought.

"It was... hmm. A bit hard to say, because to me it was normal until my siblings and I came here. It was more crowded than here. And louder. A goblin colony is never really quiet, especially when you can hear like we do. A murmur of voices, dripping of water, hum of machinery... like I siad, I didn't see the sky for years. Most of the loading and unloading of ships happened in caves."
ForTheGnomes

Post by ForTheGnomes »

Morty wrote: Mar 24, 2023 6:49 pm [Necro-Leaf Reasearch]

Olvisin scratches her ear in thought.

"It was... hmm. A bit hard to say, because to me it was normal until my siblings and I came here. It was more crowded than here. And louder. A goblin colony is never really quiet, especially when you can hear like we do. A murmur of voices, dripping of water, hum of machinery... like I siad, I didn't see the sky for years. Most of the loading and unloading of ships happened in caves."
"Interesting." Jerick put his non-metal finger into the concoction. "Yup, it's cooled down. Now we just have to see if it works." Jerick held up his copper index finger and, after a moment, a flame appeared out of the tip. Without any hesitation, Jerick put his hand over the flame. After a moment, the smell of burning flesh emitted from the hand. Jerick took out a small handkerchief and soaked it in the concoction, then covered the wound with it.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Necro-Leaf Reasearch]

Olvisin recoils when Jerick burns his own finger, but after a moment actually seems impressed.

"Okay, I have to respect the dedication to first-hand testing."
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

Rebonack wrote: Mar 23, 2023 3:14 pm Meanwhile!

Apparently someone remembered they were talking to June.

"Waitwhat did I miss something?" Zee says quite suddenly, glancing around the tavern as if expecting everything to have shifted around.

It hasn't.

Of course.

But she's left trying to figure out where the conversation was going and generally has little success and instead just nods to June's comments and goes, "Yeah I know what you mean," as she's furiously tracing back along the worldline to recall what it was they were doing.

Something about cultists and adventures and-

Oh right!

Quests!

"And so it feels like you just aren't as wild and exciting as-" Zee pauses, briefly glancing around the tavern until her gaze falls on a big purple dragon-like creature with a bunch of tentacles for a face. "-whatever that guy is? I guess? Well! I can definitely provide quests. I've got a bunch of them! Though I guess the question is what sort of quest are you looking for? Because again: I've got a bunch of them."

In fact, something had shifted!
Well, June's drink was empty again.
But it's okay that Zee forgot what they were talking about, since June got a little distracted, too. Mostly by the dragon-like tentacle person, probably, since that is pretty distracting.

June shifts on the stool, and her snake-body coils around more.

June thinks. And puts a hand on her chin, to stroke it. "Well. Um...A quest. It'd have to be, um, appropriate for a first-time adventurer. Saving a kingdom, rescuing a princess, beating up a magic zombie, and then riding a dragon off into the sunset does sound pretty nice, but, I mean, it's probably just a little beyond my skillset." A thought crosses her mind, and she adds, "Okay, the only really important part would be that it ends up helping someone. If nobody gets helped, it's not really an adventure, right?"

She yawns.
"But, I guess, another thing I need to keep in mind would be that I can't just put off finding my evil alternate-universe twin at HALO forever. Maybe I should just go to HALO first and worry about going on an adventure afterwards."
Gold
Old Fart Poster
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Gold »

A tall blue robot in polyester sportswear is standing at the tavern's bulletin board, putting up a notice.

The note reads:
"-MARTIAL ARTS TEACHER WANTED!-"
This blue robot is looking for someone to help teach him one of the following:
  • kung fu
  • MMA
  • all of the above any martial art you're comfortable with really, but preferably one of the first two

In return, you will recieve: money (dia).
Contact me if this interests you, by calling [TASBot's phone number] or by looking behind you.
When the robot is finished putting the notice up, he finds a free table in view of the bulletin board and takes a seat.
TASBot TALBot Solenoid Changer
"You monster!" -Gold Elemental - The Order of the Stick
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

Senshi Hoshiki is on the way back home from the VIGIL fundraiser, when he decides to stop by Trog's on a whim. It's one of the few places he's grown familiar with during his stay, and he happens to like the staff, even if they are a bit... weird. As he steps inside, he also remembers his discussion with Sekhmet. Maybe he should say hi to Selekhael and ask a bit about her sister?

However, the thought fades from his mind when he passes by the bulleting board. He hasn't paid attention to it much before, but a new notice draws his attention.

Martial arts teacher wanted? He furrows his brow, taking a closer look at the details. Oh, there is pay promised? No numbers, though. The swordsman thinks. His side business with the Smuggler's Mirror hasn't yet resulted in much, and he hasn't found the right opportunity to treasure hunting with Frigate either... meaning he is, still, in debt and pretty close to broke.

Hmmm.

He grabs the note and looks around. There's a phone number on it, but he has no phone, so he hopes the one who put up the notice is still present, as implied.

The robot might notice the swordsman. He is tall for a human, wearing a black haori over white clothes, with two swords on his hip. He kinda looks like a bad guy who walked out of a samurai movie. The robot could say something to draw the man's attention, but even if he doesn't, the man eventually spots him and walks to his table.

"Excuse me? Are you the one who put up this notice? My name's Senshi Hoshki. I'm well-practiced in ways of the warrior and could do with some work."
Gold
Old Fart Poster

Post by Gold »

TASBot perks up when he sees the swordsman taking his note, rushing up to him with an abrupt "Hey, pal! I'm TASBot."

The robot nods eagerly. "Yeah, I put up the note. So, you can help me learn a martial art? That's awesome! Where and when do we start? he says, clearly quite excited.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

"Those are excellent questions. I do own a mansion on Arkham street, but it might be a bit fragile for serious training. But, I also own a mirror that lets me travel to far away islands. So I'd say, we can start once we've found a suitable spot, provided you have nothing against outdoor training", Hoshiki explains matter-of-factly, not quite sure how to take the robot's excitement, "I'd like to know a bit more about the pay. How many... 'dia' are you willing to invest in this? Also, how much time?" He has to check the note for the unit of currency. He also realizes he has no idea how much one dia would be worth. He'll need to ask Zee for the exchange rate later. Or visit the bank where he got his loan from.
Gold
Old Fart Poster

Post by Gold »

TASBot considers his options momentarily. "I do like to have a lot of space, so I think I'd prefer the outdoor training," he states.

"How about 15 dia per hour? I know that doesn't sound like much, but I hear the currency is worth a lot compared to others since it's made of pink diamonds." As TASBot says this, he brings his hand to his screen and three perfectly cut, coin-sized diamonds appear in it, which he shows to Hoshiki.

"As for my time investment..." The dia suddenly disappears in the same way as it appeared, while TASBot closes his fist and strikes a determined pose. "I'm willing to train for as long as it takes!" he exclaims.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

Such enthusiasm! Hoshiki gives a good look at the pink diamonds before they disappear. Hopefully they won't also disappear when he tries paying for something with them.

"That sounds reasonable", the swordsman says, ""I have no pressing duties at the moment, so if you have the time, we can go scout for a training spot right now. We can talk of other details as we walk. Such as, how does your body generate power? I've not trained a robot like you before, so I might need to adjust the usual training regime a bit."
Morty

Post by Morty »

Michalson arrives in Trog's, looking for Sandels. Bunny isn't with him. Of the options before him, talking to Sandels seems to be the better one. The big guy is too much of an unknown. He can't predict how he'll react (and that's not a good place to be in with someone that big).
Gold
Old Fart Poster

Post by Gold »

"I don't really have anything I'm supposed to be doing now either. So yeah, now works!" TASBot confirms, giving a thumbs-up.

In response to Hoshiki's question, TASBot answers with "Oh, you mean charging up? That's easy, I gain energy by running! The more I move, the more energy I have. Doesn't even have to be running, I power up any time I'm moving at speed. Sometimes I build up speed by running in place, but I save that technique for emergencies. Mostly."
ForTheGnomes

Post by ForTheGnomes »

Morty wrote: Apr 06, 2023 5:06 pm [Necro-Leaf Reasearch]

Olvisin recoils when Jerick burns his own finger, but after a moment actually seems impressed.

"Okay, I have to respect the dedication to first-hand testing."
Jerick seems to be completely unphased by his burnt finger. "After a while, you get used to it. Especially when your entire arm gets magically burnt to a crisp by Tiamat." Jerick took the handkerchief off of his finger, revealing completely healed and healthy flesh. "It worked! It's not as good as some other healing salves I've made, but a new discovery is new nonetheless."
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

It's not Michalson's lucky day. Sandels is nowhere in sight. If he asks around, he'll find he was last seen getting on a horse with some mycoid girl, and hasn't been seen since.

The "big guy" is present, but he's talking to some robot and looks like they're just about to leave. "I meant more in terms of what do you have for muscle", Hoshiki clarifies to TASbot, "a good technique goes together with body built to use it. A human can, within some limit, grow stronger. How true is that of a machine like you?" He takes a step towards the exit and gestures for the bot to get ahead of himself. They can have rest of this conversation while on the move.
Gold
Old Fart Poster

Post by Gold »

TASBot follows along with Hoshiki, staying in step with the swordsman.

"Oh, well, that's an interesting one," the robot begins. "I haven't exactly tested it, but I imagine I could get stronger if I trained. See, I've always steadily been getting faster, even before I unlocked speedrunning, so if my legs can get stronger I bet the rest of me probably can too."
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

As they leave the big guy might bump into another man. The man is average sized human wearing some common clothes. Only a his shoulder bag is quiet uncommon. Either way the man just throws a glare at the tall human befor he continues his path into the tavern, aiming to reach the bar.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

"Hmmm, that implies you can heal", Hoshiki responds to TASbot, Which is a good thing, I'm not a mechanic - oh, sorry!" He almost walks right into the newcomer and has to take a rapid sidestep to avoid collision. He watches after the other man for a few seconds, but when the only response he gets is a glare, he shrugs and moves out of the door.

"So, what I was saying is, I'm not a mechanic, so if you get broken, I doubt I can fix you. So let's take it easy for a start, shall we?"
Gold
Old Fart Poster

Post by Gold »

"Yeah, I guess it does," TASBot replies, taking a quick look at the man Hoshiki just sidestepped.

"That makes sense," the robot agrees, as he too leaves the tavern.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Necro-Leaf Research]
ForTheGnomes wrote: Apr 19, 2023 12:31 am Jerick seems to be completely unphased by his burnt finger. "After a while, you get used to it. Especially when your entire arm gets magically burnt to a crisp by Tiamat." Jerick took the handkerchief off of his finger, revealing completely healed and healthy flesh. "It worked! It's not as good as some other healing salves I've made, but a new discovery is new nonetheless."
Olvisin slaps her knee with her hand.

"Right on! For now it's good that it works. Making it work better than other stuff will come later." She raises her right hand, expecting a high-five. "And I assume that's why you've got this prosthetic."
ForTheGnomes

Post by ForTheGnomes »

Morty wrote: Apr 20, 2023 10:13 pm [Necro-Leaf Research]

Olvisin slaps her knee with her hand.

"Right on! For now it's good that it works. Making it work better than other stuff will come later." She raises her right hand, expecting a high-five. "And I assume that's why you've got this prosthetic."
Jerick completes the high five. "Yup. Speaking of which, it should be about time to apply a pain-removal salve onto my arm." Jerick takes a small bottle from one of his pouches and sits down on a chair. He rolls up his sleeve, showing the hideously charred flesh that Olvison would remember from when Jerick arrived to the Nexus. He applies the salve, then rolls down his sleeve again.
Last edited by ForTheGnomes on Apr 23, 2023 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.