Home

Personal homes and private lots.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: Home

Post by bc56 »

Brignole Manor
"I, uh, don't think it's possible." Sekhmet shakes her head. "Not without pushing them to serve something worse." The demon queen takes a sip of her tea.
"Mum! I'm going to go explore in the jungle!" someone calls.
"Okay, uh, just be back by nightfall!"
A pause. A door elsewhere in the house opens and closes. "Sorry, uh, what was I saying?"
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Brignole Manor]

"I'm not sure about that. There are all kinds of gods, spirits and other powerful beings around here. Maybe there is one that can-" Hiep is distracted by the exchange between Sekhmet and the unseen person. "I didn't know there was a jungle around here."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Brignole Manor
"If you get deep enough into the woods," Sekhmet explains. "What were you saying? About other gods or spirits?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Brignole Manor]

"Oh, that's neat. Just like home." Sekhmet might get the impression Hiep is somewhat easily distracted. "Right, right. Gods and spirits. There's a lot of them around, so maybe it is possible to find someone your cultists could worship instead. Someone who wants them to do it and won't have them stab people."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Gullara wrote: Mar 18, 2023 5:15 am [Uninvited]

Thankfully a little attention helps quiet the blue haired girl that Obriane scoops from the crib. It also helps hush the older children, given they know what happens when the crying starts.

"I guess." Annie relents. "Do I have to watch the babies anymore? I wanna go watch cartoons."
[Uninvited]

"You're free to go as long as you don't have the volume turned up too loudly." Obriane replies with a small sigh. "Mom and I need to make some phone calls so you need to be quiet."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Brignole Manor
"I guess so," Sekhmet agrees, "But I, uh, don't just want to pass them off on anyone. It needs to be someone I can trust to keep them out of trouble." Sekhmet feels responsible for her cultists... Even if she'd rather not have anything to do with them. It's an awkward position to be in.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Brignole Manor]

"Right, right. Of course," Hiep says as though foisting them off on someone wouldn't be her first choice. "Any candidate would need to be properly vetted." She pauses. "I think I've heard about someone who might just fit the bill. A fey, they said? Really different from the fey I'm used to. I'd need to make some inquiries up top and then visit him."
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

[Uninvited]

Eliseo chuckles, his face getting slightly red. "Okay, fair enough. I'm here to help." He assures. "Your lessons are actually at Vigil, right? Sounds like a pretty cool opportunity for me, as a bonus." He says lightly, preferring to keep things light after they've been so heavy otherwise.

Kitsuki isn't far off after Siana finishes her call. Seems she was waiting. It's impossible to know what, if anything, she overheard. The kitsune wears a stoney expression. She's prepared for what she needs to do, even if it's not kind.

"I got the fully story of what happened at the party." She says, her voice low. The kids had since quietly streamed out of the bedroom above and are clustered around the TV now. This isn't for their ears. "And you have to know that you being here is a danger to my family."
~Images by Soushiyo
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

Morty wrote: Mar 17, 2023 7:06 pm [Mouchabière Residence]

"If we ever decide to have more kids, I can be the one carrying them," Sophie offers jokingly. Then her heart melts when she sees Szarn greet Janos. "Oh my goodness. Szarn likes him already."

Meanwhile, another inhabitant of the house arrives. The ageing red-furred cat Nicholas hops onto Szarn's back, as he often does. He regards the two newborns with a more aloof air than the big wolf. Who are these intruders in his territory?
[Mouchabière Residence]

Szarn, upon seeing Bertin as well, pauses once again, before moving over to gently lick the second baby. Given the way his tail is wagging so hard it's disrupting his ability to stand, he's clearly having a fantastic time, though Nicholas may be complaining about it.

Trick will step inside, moving towards the baby room so the twins can be put down while they're asleep, "Come on. I need some sleep."
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Gullara wrote: Mar 22, 2023 3:05 am [Uninvited]

Eliseo chuckles, his face getting slightly red. "Okay, fair enough. I'm here to help." He assures. "Your lessons are actually at Vigil, right? Sounds like a pretty cool opportunity for me, as a bonus." He says lightly, preferring to keep things light after they've been so heavy otherwise.

Kitsuki isn't far off after Siana finishes her call. Seems she was waiting. It's impossible to know what, if anything, she overheard. The kitsune wears a stoney expression. She's prepared for what she needs to do, even if it's not kind.

"I got the fully story of what happened at the party." She says, her voice low. The kids had since quietly streamed out of the bedroom above and are clustered around the TV now. This isn't for their ears. "And you have to know that you being here is a danger to my family."
[Uninvited]

"...Yes, ma'am."

The words fall out of Siana's mouth like a pair of lead weights. Any other day, she might have resented the implication, but today there is nothing about that sentence that doesn't ring absolutely true. And the way Kitsuki's speaking leaves absolutely no room for argument; even if Siana could find the will to defend herself, she's sure it would fall on deaf ears. Instead, all she can do is hang her head and wait for the inevitable.

Kitty's going to throw her out.

And then she can't protect Ana, which is going to be bad enough, but worse, Siana gave her word that she would... so she'll get to be an oathbreaker on top of everything else. And it's not like it wouldn't be her fault; she should have known Kitsuki wasn't going to let her stay anywhere near small children. Looking after Ana was never within her power to carry out; promising it was reckless and stupid.

How could it be anything else? She was reckless and stupid.

Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid!

Why didn't she listen?! In hindsight, it seems like everyone she's ever known was trying to point her away from making a mistake this terrible, even the people who seemed to hate her. Kirk made it clear she's not to be trusted with a blade, that she's not ready no matter how much she thinks she is. So did Reina, and she at least gave Siana a fair shake when challenged on that assertion, only to be proven entirely correct. Dipsnig and Sam encouraged her to pursue other ventures. Jaahlyn, admittedly, enabled her, but in doing so provided yet another object lesson that she then proceeded to ignore. Codebreaker tried to cancel her debt so many times so she could just come home. And before any of that, her uncle tried to teach her to be honorable and responsible, and has she upheld those virtues? No!

Stupid, worthless girl. She had every opportunity to turn it around, but ignored the need time and time again, and now look what she is.

It's about this moment that Siana comes back to reality long enough to realize she's bent herself over, wrapping her hair up in her fists and pulling against her scalp, She can hear herself breathing in ragged gasps, interspersed with choked, broken sobs.

Which has to just be a fantastic look for Kitsuki.

"...I'm... I'm sorry." She sniffs, running her eyes along her sleeve and straightening back up in an attempt to regain her composure. "You weren't meant to see that. I'll... I'll just go."

She grabs ahold of her cane and pulls herself to her feet (more or less), taking her first hasty steps toward the door. She's bothered Ana's family enough.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Mouchabière Residence]

Nicholas meows with complaint and hops off Szarn's back. These two little interlopers are already disrupting his rightful position in this house. They will need watching.

"Of course. You've been hard at work bringing these two here. Go sleep and I'll take care of them."

It's clear Sophie is doing her best to sound more confident than she is.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Mouchabière Residence]

Trick looks at Sophie with exasperated amusement for a short moment. Ah yes, the glorious solar demigod is intimidated by being alone with her children. Trick huffs out a laugh, then asks with a teasing voice, "You gonna be okay on your own?"
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Mouchabière Residence]

Sophie opens her mouth and closes it. She almost assures Trick she'll be just fine, but her wife is one of the few people she can't fool by her projected confidence.

"I... hope so? It's something I need to start practicing anyway. There will be plenty of times with only one of us keeping an eye on both the boys."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Mouchabière Residence]

Trick kisses Sophie, "Then if they're being disruptive to you, remember that if you don't know what's wrong, you can sing to them and they'll be happy. Kids love people singing for them."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

[Uninvited]

"Opportunity? You make it sound like you're gonna ask him for an internship," Ana remarks with a giggle. sliding off the bed with a degree of reluctance. She couches in front of the bed and reaches for something. A moment of awkward maneuvering around two pairs of legs later sees the reveal of a black gym bag composed of large and bulky shapes.

This doesn't seem to get much of a remark from Stasia, all too focused on Eliseo as she clings lightly to his arm. "Yeah, it's really pretty there too. Their base is like, way up in the sky, so you get just an incredible view coming in." A smile - the first truly genuine one all morning. "You might like Wenomir, too - he's a little reserved, but he has a good heart."
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Mouchabière Residence]

"I'll do my best, though it's probably best if you're asleep by then," Sophie quips. Nicholas meows. There's a lot of changes in this house and the old cat doesn't appreciate it.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Brignole Manor
"I, uh, okay?" Sekhmet thinks that sounds fine. Fey are unpredictable, but she understands the basic rules she should be fine.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Uninvited]

Eliseo laughs. "Nah, I just mean Vigil isn't a place you just walk into for now reason, right? Should be cool." He gives Stasia a sidelong smile. The bag catches his eye afterward, though.

"You know, I don't think I've seen to totally suited up in your sword fighting gear. I bet you look like a total badass." He grins.

Kitsuki's facade cracks a bit as soon as Siana starts to break down right in front of her. Spirits, it's not like she didn't know that this girl had suffered last night too, but it's just too risky on top of everything else. She needs to keep strong here. If the cops came looking for her hear, that could be the end of everything. No, they need to distance themselves from Siana.

But even so, it's not as though she's heartless. As Siana suddenly makes for the door she breaks a little bit. "Wait- It's just, there must be some way you can avoid going out in the sun again." The way she burned earlier was particularly horrific. Kitsuki has no desire to thrust her into that situation again.
~Images by Soushiyo
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Uninvited]

"...Maybe, yeah." Siana agrees, stopping short of the door. "There probably is a way. I... I could wait until nightfall. It's not that far away, when you think about it. Maybe ten hours." She sniffs and lets out a rueful chuckle. "How much trouble could I cause in ten hours, really?"

She doesn't say the answer out loud. The fae party, and the murder she committed at the end of it, had been less than ten hours long. Closer to six, by her count... they'd started around midnight and woke up to it being dawn.

"I could avoid it, yeah." She repeats, her hand resting on the doorknob. "I could... I could. I... I..."

Even from here, Kitty will be able to hear the rattling of the doorknob in her hand.

"...It was like this with her, too." Siana continues shakily. "...I... I knew it was going to be hard. My body's screaming out for me to stop. It wants to go slow and give someone a chance to stop me. I'm... I'm scared. And I know I'm scared. But... but if I just push through that..." She lets out a shuddering sigh. "...I... I can... I can do what needs to be done. I can." She bops her forehead against the door, eyes closed. "...All I need to do is this one thing. This one tiny thing. And... and when it's done, we'll be rid of a monster. That's what a knight does, isn't it? Slays monsters. Protects innocent people from them."

The doorknob rattles in her hand as her grip tightens, the glamour around her giving way so Kitty will be able to see the claw-tipped fingers that make up her hand now, the barbed jumble of antennae that make up her hair, and the bony plates that cover her entire body.

"One... one turn of the wrist... and it's done. It's not an easy choice, but I... I can do it. I can be brave. I... I..."

Siana's grip tightens around the doorknob as she slowly starts to pull the door open.

In broad daylight.

Kitty probably doesn't need to think about it too hard to guess Siana's intentions. She doesn't care that she's going to burn up if she goes outside now. She just wants to leave.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Brignole Manor]

Hiep looks briefly uncertain. This isn't a common look on her as she tends to stride into every situation with unflappable confidence. She expected Sekhmet to be out of her element, since apparently she inherited her position from her mother, who was a nasty character. But she didn't expect anyone so... meek.

"So... do you want me to tell you who I am or why I'm helping you?"
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Brignole Manor
"I, uh..." That's actually a good question. Sekhmet was just accepting this aid at face value, partly because she can see that this stranger is wrapped up in fate just like she is.
"...Uh, yes. Tell me about yourself."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Brignole Manor]

"Right. I'm Hiep, like I said. A Sidereal Exalted. That means I was chosen by Mercury to safeguard fate." Hiep start counting down on her fingers as she goes through relevant information. "There are ninety nine other Sidereal Exalted, but you probably won't meet them. Making sure things go smoothly and causality doesn't turn inside-out is our job. That includes resolving wrinkles in mortals' relationship with deities. I must've had a hunch something was off when I ran into your cultists. That, or I just noticed your priestess having amazing tits. Maybe both." Hiep steeples her fingers. "You may see me use different names at some point in the future. That's because most people will forget me if I introduce myself as Hiep. I use alternate identities to bypass that. You will probably remember me, though."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Brignole Manor
Sekhmet sighs when Hiep mentions her priestess' tits again. It's going to be one of those days. This talk reminds her of all the things she dislikes about her position. All the awful expectations that come with being the queen of succubi. The reason she keeps her own pair of "awesome tits" well covered. "Right. So, you'll, uh, go talk to this fey and see if they're willing, and then I can talk to them and see if they're suitable?" She gets the distinct feeling that the sooner she gets Hiep out of her hair, the better. The sidereal seems to totally lack a sense of tact.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Brignole Manor]

"That's the plan, yeah." Hiep seems blissfully unaware of Sekhmet's frustration. "I probably shouldn't be too specific when I talk to them. Just mention that there's a divinity with worshipers who need a different path. You'll give them the details better than I could."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

[Uninvited]

Stasia giggles a little. "I'm not sure 'badass' is the look I'm going for, but - I mean, I do like dressing up for you." She leans against him with a wink before slipping off the bed and onto her feet, causing Ana to smile and roll her eyes. Gosh, was she really always that corny?

"Alright you two, ready to go?" She looks from one to the other, kneeling down to heft the bag up over her shoulder. It's a lot to carry, but it doesn't throw her off balance like it used to anymore. "Oh- um, sure. Lemme just-" Stasia reaches out to grab the greatsword, and her hands wrap around the sheathed blade - the blade her father left behind.

Another reminder of the way people keep dying around her.

She pauses for a moment, almost seeming to hesitate - then takes a steadying breath, slings it over her shoulder and turns to Eliseo. "I- I think so." Quietly, she reaches to take his hand.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Brignole Manor
"Right, uh, I don't want to meet with them here," Sekhmet adds. "I'd, uh, rather not let supernatural beings know where to find my family." She doesn't want them used as leverage against her.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Brignole Manor]

"Yeah, makes sense. You want to keep a low profile and inviting other divinities to your home doesn't help with that." It seems that while Hiep is lecherous and tactless, she is by no means stupid. "I'm going to look into it and if I manage to talk to this fey, I'll suggest that they receive you in their own sanctum. Then bring the news back to you."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Uninvited]
► SHOW SPOILER
Kitsuki breathes a frustrated sigh, and then markes over to the door and slams it close with her hand. "Listen, I know you've had a rough night too, but don't go doing something stupid. Now you seem well aware you've caused a lot of trouble. Don't go causing more by behaving recklessly." Kitsuki is capable of quite a baleful sympathy.

"I'm not the person who should be trying to help you right now. Did you not just call your sister? Can't she help transport you?"
► SHOW SPOILER
Eliseo chuckles and gets up, ready to head out with them. His eyes pass over their gear curiously, settling mainly non the sword. He's seen plenty before, if only because Irena is a dork, but this one looks like a pretty different style.

"Ready when you are." He gives Ana, then Stasia a warm smile (this is still so weird), and takes Stasia's hand without delay, giving it a firm squeeze. She still seems like she's having a tough time, and fair enough, so he hopes this isn't going to be too much for her today.

► SHOW SPOILER
[Bellamy House]

Kitsuki opens her mouth to try and get another word in, but then he's off like a shot. She gives Obriane a slightly harried look. "Okay, I think you two are both way more panicked than I am. I've done this twice before, remember?" She shakes her head. Not that she's feeling great, but she knows what to expect. "Help me take a seat on the step then you can call the cab, okay? And someone should get me a towel. I'm not going to be happy if my water breaks and I make a mess in the back seat of a cab."
~Images by Soushiyo
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Gullara wrote: Mar 28, 2023 4:02 am [Uninvited]

Kitsuki breathes a frustrated sigh, and then markes over to the door and slams it close with her hand. "Listen, I know you've had a rough night too, but don't go doing something stupid. Now you seem well aware you've caused a lot of trouble. Don't go causing more by behaving recklessly." Kitsuki is capable of quite a baleful sympathy.

"I'm not the person who should be trying to help you right now. Did you not just call your sister? Can't she help transport you?"
[Uninvited]

Siana rattles the door behind Kitty's arm, unable to get any real force on it with only one hand of her own available. After one more good tug, she falls back away from the door, landing flat on her backside, her cane rolling a short distance over the carpet.

Based on how the rest of today's been going, Kitsuki might expect Siana to break out into tears again. She did, after all, have a rough night, and it's not as though her morning's been amazingly gentle. She's been foiled, humiliated, and inadvertently made things worse, and she's willing to bet her cooking didn't exactly land with the Bellamys, either. Compound all of that with the guilt she's clearly feeling about Ilpholin, and another breakdown would seem imminent.

And, to be fair, it is.

Just not the way one might expect.

"...No. No, you aren't." Siana agrees, nodding slowly, more to herself than to Kitsuki. "...You know something, miss Bellamy? I don't want your help. I don't want Owena's help, either. Or my uncle's. Or Codebreaker's. Or anybody's." She rocks back and forth on her good foot, leaning against her cane. "I don't want your help. I... I don't want to be a burden. I shouldn't be a burden. I was there-" she points out the window, "out there, on my own, for ten years. If I can't take care of myself by now, I'll never be able to." She plops the tip of her cane back on the carpet and frowns. "...And it would appear as though I can't. Because every time, every time I go to make a decision, it turns out to be the wrong one. And if all I'm ever going to be is a burden... it's better that I just leave." She puts her hand on the doorknob again, waiting stoically for Kitsuki to let her out.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Uninvited]

Kitsuki sighs again. She's not sure how this girl got into this situation, but it's not a good one. "Take it from me, trying to go it on your own isn't worth it. When people are willing to help you, take it. You'll be happier for it." Kitsuki does not in fact let the door go, but she does turn away for a moment. She makes a gesture, and the phone flies off the receiver and into her hand.

"That and I saw what the sun does to you. Call your sister and arrange transportation. I'm not letting you walk out there." She offers the phone.
~Images by Soushiyo