Vigil

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: Vigil

Post by Shadowcaller »

Courtyard

The sound of a helicopter was unmistakable to Cessie as it was quite offensive to her ears.
Though this one managed the feat of also being offensive to her eyes. Since she immediately wanted to look away after settling her gaze on that ghastly thing.
It was a flying monument to pride and arrogance which was sucking all the air out of the room. Or the entire yard in this case.
Her senses were telling her that it could only be one man doing this but she didn't want to believe them. She wanted to believe he was better now. It has been ages since he pulled something like this so surely-

It was him.

Dressed in an attire only fitting for the ride he was in.
By the gods, she swore that no one but him could make purple look so crude and vulgar.
Then that music which while she might have at least found acceptable in any other circumstance now found downright disgusting.

She is about to declare something. Make a snide comment to no one in particular when she turns and feels all the air leaving her lungs in a way that not even Magtok could accomplish.

She had been wrong.

Someone else but Magtok could make purple, or rather lavender, look-
Well, not vulgar or crude but it certainly made her think crude and vulgar things.

"...what?" She asks after more than a moment of staring as she realized that Jezebel had said something.
She gestures vaguely and absentmindedly in the direction where the helicopter had come from as it had been the last thing on her mind before her fiancee came and stole all her good and righteous thoughts away. "I mean... Magtok." Yes, surely that would distract her.
Last edited by Shadowcaller on Mar 24, 2023 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[The Little Mew Who Could]

LB-M freezes when she turns to look at the bird, every hair on her body standing to an end. If mew fur wasn't microscopically fine, she'd look like a freaked-out cat. But, as startling as its sudden reappearance is, what comes next is worse. She literally runs up the wall and remains floating near the ceiling when the millipede crawls out.

What is that?

And what is that other thing behind it? That angular creature... it looks artificial. It looks like a low-quality virtual model brought to life, in fact. It increases her conviction that the bird is fake too, though why one is so much more life-like than the other escapes her.

Her eyes dart back and forth between these entities. She notices the ball-shaped object in the millipede's hands, but its significance is lost to her - she was asleep last time when she was captured in a pokeball, and doesn't really understand how they work yet. "Miu? Miu?", she cries from the upper corner of the room. On a telepathic level, she is broad casting: ~Hello? Who are you? What are you? Where did you come from?~

---

[Lizard, Worm, Bird's Eye View]

The entity is strictly limited to Khafir's senses, so more mystical qualities of Kothar's weapons are lost to it. It can understand the fine details are symbolic of things, but cannot tell they have any function beyond decoration. "Oh, it is telling a story? Yes, a summary would be helpful", it signals. She might, indeed, look a bit crazy, signing to apparently no-one... but there are enough exotic beings around, maybe if she just told she's sharing the story with an invisible friend, other party-goers would be more than understanding. Maybe Kothar would even be flattered by said invisible friend being so interested in him!

---

[Courtyard - Sekhmet]

Hoshiki shrugs a little. "I wouldn't say I'm here for that reason." If he was, it would be awkward, since he's still functionally broke. "I'm here for - oh, speak of the devil." He turns to look up into the sky, towards the sound of the approaching helicopter. He stays silent for a moment as Magtok make his grand entrance, mostly so he doesn't have to shout into Sekhmet's ear.

"Ahem. So, I came here to ask about him. Well, his senior, to be more precise", Hoshiki continues once the copter starts flying off into the distance, "but I suppose it would be rude to go running off to him when we just got started. So, your majesty, why do the Scorching Depths want to finance this institution?"
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

The Little Mew Who Could

There's a brief moment of surprise when LB-M calls out telepathically, but the Encyclopede quickly recovers and responds. -Greetings, small one. I am the Lower Assistant Tertiary Menial's Twelfth Lesser Librarian of Biological Investigation Shelves O to Q, and I am an Encyclopede. I was not expecting you to be intelligent, that throws many plans out of the window. I have been sent by the Wikipede to gather data and information, after our drone projection flagged your presence. Would you mind accompanying me to the Bronze Pyramid? You have been designated an important object of further study, though I have of course updated your status to person. Unless the telepathic queries have been pre-programmed and you are a biological drone?- The telepathic response is in whatever language LB-M considers her 'native' tongue, no matter how impossible that may be, though the accent would be hard to place.

Courtyard

Also arriving is a black unicorn, galloping through the air without touching the ground. Its fur is matt black, dull and lifeless, glossy only for its tail and mane; its horn is pearlescent ivory, spiralled and twists to the left; its frame thin and bony, with knobbly knees and visible ribs; its eyes glow a dull red like embers set deep in its skeletal, gaunt face; and when it opens its mouth to graze, the teeth behind its lips are sharp and pointed, carnivorous rather than herbivorous. The unicorn wears nothing, though a woman sits astride the beast. She's just as unhealthily slim as her mount, draped in a sleeveless grey robe spun from cobwebs and dust, her feet bare and her long hair blonde and stringy. Ingrid's skin is pale, especially contrasted to the coat of the unicorn that is her patron, though marked with black tattoos of thorned vines snaking down her arm from shoulder to wrist, skulls and knives hidden within the thorns. Her watery green eyes waver as she looks over the crowd, before she disembarks and heads over to the bar to take a glass of punch.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Ironsmith wrote: Mar 23, 2023 11:52 am [Chemistry with Chef Bacon]

Eun pales. Does... does Sam think he's talking to Buhan right now? She did sort of get the two of them mixed up when she and Sam first met. He might be thinking she's the seeq and Buhan's the...

Oh. Wait. He's just being coy, isn't he?

God dammit, why do people feel the need to do that?!

Eun gives him a vaguely unamused chuff and shakes her head. "Sam." She chides, through tight lips.

...Wait. If he knows he's talking to Eun, then...

"Sam!" She says again, her voice gaining a lilt as her cheeks darken again.

He... really thinks of her as hot? Not "cute", not "pretty", not even "beautiful", he called her hot.

That's... new. Nobody's ever called her that before. What's so different about her this time? Is it the dress? Did she say something? Or... or is he just messing with her?

...It has to be that. He was just messing with her. No other explanation really made sense.

Eun shuffles awkwardly, her gaze falling to the floor, momentarily at a loss for how to proceed from here. She already wasn't expecting to see him, now he's saying the strangest things, and... she just doesn't have the script ready.

...Okay. Okay. Okay okay okay. Just... walk it back. Go back to a subject she can talk about.

...A tactic that works much better when applied to any part of the conversation that isn't the beginning.

Okay, plan b. Distraction.

Eun reaches over to a nearby table and snatches up a cocktail, taking a deep sip so at least the silence wouldn't be as awkward.

kag!

Oh. Right. Alcohol tastes different here. Not to mention terrible.
Chemistry with Chef Bacon

"Hey, you okay?" Sam asks, concern in his voice. Sometimes Eun does this. He says something nice and she looks like someone told her that her dog died.
He takes a step toward her. Gently, slowly, he puts a hand on her shoulder. He has gotten used to trying to manage Eun's strong feelings about being touched, but she seems to have gotten accepting of when he does it at least.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Courtyard - Dipsnig and Nathair]

Dipsnig appears well-prepared, producing a business card from a pocket of his coat and handing it to Nathair.

"Oh, I assure you many of our members take on jobs as personal or venue security. Hiring MERC means discretion and reliability-" Dipsnig grimaces and his ears pull back against his head when Magtok makes his entrance. "One Below. Magtok is making up for lost time today."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Chemistry with Chef Bacon]

"I'm fine!" Eun reassures him quickly... and likely unconvincingly. "Just... went down the wrong tube, is all."

Not quite what happened, but slightly less likely to offend than "I just remembered you guys can't make a decent drink to save your collective lives".

...Wait, that is what he's asking about, right? Is she giving off "help I'm depressed" signals again?

Eun flinches involuntarily as Sam's hand unexpectedly (but to his credit, gently) rests on her shoulder.

Yep.

For Sam, the sensation under his hand will be one of sudden tension, followed by slow, gradual release. That's pretty typical of her; initial discomfort, followed by acclimation.

"...So, um..." Eun begins again, putting her hand on Sam's and stroking it gently. "...A date, huh? Does that mean you, ah, had a plan for tonight?"

That would make one of them. Eun's itinerary ended at "show up".
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

Courtyard - Dipsnig and Nathair

After a quick glance at it, Nathair stores the card in their jacket before deftly offering one of their own in return. It's on eggshell paper with Romalian type.

"Well I do fancy myself as reliable and discreet," they say with a grin, "When the situation calls for it, of course."

At Magtok's excessive helicopter entrance, Nathair can't help but laugh. "Now there's a man who doesn't know the value of discretion," they say under their breath. "Seems we have a little in common though." They blink their mechanical eye with slight annoyance.
horses can attack and eat me
Morty

Post by Morty »

"Oh, Magtok knows the value of discretion. He just leaves it to other people." Dipsnig's ears flick with amusement. "He's a celebrity around here. Not as famous as he used to be... which is probably why he made such an entrance. No shortage of people with cybernetics around here, though."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Lizard, Worm, Birdseye View
Kothar continues his tale, oblivious to Khafir's unusual behavior. He doesn't really understand human tics.
He begins describing the descent out of the frog's lair into a series of windswept underground chasms where even the slightest misstep would mean certain doom as you plunge down into the depths of the earth.

Courtyard
Sekhmet was assuming Hoshiki was a Vigil member, and of course members wouldn't be here to contribute funds. She was talking about guests. "They, uh, don't. I do. Vigil, uh, helped me with a, uh, rather large problem once." She doesn't elaborate.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Courtyard- Dipsnig and Nathair

Nathair grins. "A celebrity has been, huh? I know the type. Not that I'm judging, I was pretty famous myself a very long time ago." They shake their head ruefully.

"Anyway, I could use a drink. You want anything?" Raising their golden hand, they make a beckoning gesture at one of the refreshment tables and a cocktail floats up from it towards them. Plucking it from the air, they down it in a single swig.
Morty

Post by Morty »

"It's early yet, so nothing too strong. I'm not getting any younger, you know." Dipsnig's lips curve in a slight smile. One that doesn't show his teeth. "I think I spot some burrower liquor cocktail on that table. The bubbling blue drink."
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Earl of Purple wrote: Mar 21, 2023 12:58 pm Courtyard

Joining the party is Felicity. She's got ashy grey skin, dark eyes, a shaved head, and is apparently human. She's wearing a dark blue flapper-style dress which, whilst nice and fancy, is not the most expensive one here and a pair of black pumps on her feet. She's wearing an enamel brooch depicting a phoenix and a copper ring set with a red garnet on the opposite hand.
Courtyard

Arkant just notice the fancy apperance of Magtok. He does look a bit suprised. He has heared so much of the famouse ex villan mastermind that this entrance appears cheap. Especially since it's done so often in cinemas. He just shakes his head as he looks for someone to talk to as he assumes the cyborg isn't even aware of him.

As he sees Felicity he will approch her, his view fixed on her accessoires.
"Good day miss. " He starts formly. "May I have a wild guess that your accessoires are related to your self?" Well taking the ashe like skin into acount she might be related to the flaming bird.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

"Oh, I''m sure you've got a fair few years left ahead of you," says Nathair pleasantly. They beckon again, and the bubbling drink Dipsnig indicated floats over to hover at a convenient height for grabbing.

"Not that years are the same everywhere. Depends on the planet you're on. If we're even on a planet?" they muse. "Not sure it even matters."
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by [brackets lover] »

Courtyard

Sitting just outside the party and managing to find a discrete position of concealment, a pure white Siberian Husky of unrevealed designation found himself patiently eavesdropping on the nights events, waiting for a proper opportunity to make an appearence. He was of adult stature and was adorned in bluish black robe littered with white specs in lieu of stars painting a night sky. He had a conal hat of matching color, a white eye of horus at its front. All fitted to his size and shape, of course. He wore a collar under his robe, the id tag in the shape of a shooting star. That is, a polygonal star with a curve beside it. Seldom would be the information relinquished by it, save for the beast's name, "Jon The Transient". A leather pouch hung tied around the collar right by the dog tag, filled tightly with coin. Not known by many and well-versed in navigating the occult arts and community, Jon enjoyed a fair amount of secrecy.

The heavens awoke Jon from his trance, sending onto him the tumultuous chopping of the helicopter blades as their messanger. Brimming with excitement and anxiety, the sagious wander stumbles out from his hiding spot and breaks into a full sprint towards the source of the noise, no doubt running past swathes of guests in the process. As he ran, he let out a few loud barks, revealing Jon's presence to anyone who wasn't completely taken aback by the helicopter.

Upon Jon's arrival to the scene, the most conspicuous thing he would notice would be the purple-laden cyborg dropping to the ground. Seeing as he was in no immediate danger, Jon takes the opportunity to pant, his tail wagging from side to side.

Once he calms down, he simply stands still and watches how the situation will play out. Though now highly alert, he sought not to exacerbate the situation, and thus wouldn't make a move unless someone else approached him first.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Courtyard- Felicity & Arkant

"A little bit, yes. I'm Felicity, I work in the labs." Felicity smiles at Arkant. She's not a phoenix, but the truth is slightly embarrassing so unless Arkant asks directly she's not going to take the bait being offered.

Morty

Post by Morty »

"It's the kind of thinking you should be avoiding around here." Dipsnig's ears flick as he catches the drink. "It leads nowhere and gives you a headache. It's a place with opportunities to make money. Which is what we at MERC care about."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

"Fair point, fair point. Better to stay in the moment, right?" Nathair chuckles, letting the line of questioning go.

"I do like money. I'll probably be dropping by MERC headquarters after this little soiree is over. It'd be nice to have something to do for a change."

They tilt their head to one side. "Although surely you care about more than just money? Like making sure your clients are happy?"
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[The Little Mew Who Could]

The Encyclopede ends up sounding like Geneva, a lingering effect of how LB-M learned how to communicate with Nexus residents from her mind. ~You are what of the what now?~, she unwittingly broadcasts, still awfully confused. ~A bronze pyramid? That's a place around here? I guess I can come. I mean, I'm not supposed to be locked in this room, right?~ She relaxes somewhat. At least this bug-type can hold a conversation, unlike that dumb fake bird. Plus, as far as she knows, the Encyclopede is just another VIGIL staff member, just like Geneva.

The question of being a biological drone, she thinks is better left unanswered. She doesn't have any good argument for not being one, and isn't sure what difference it is meant to make anyway.

---

[Courtyard - Sekhmet]

Hoshiki would forgive Sekhmet for such an assumption. It's an easy mistake to make. Maybe he should petition for membership just so he could get a salary.

"Oh. A personal matter?", he asks. He's still turned Magtok's way, but subtly gives Sekhmet a better look from the corner of his eye. "A... family matter? You do have family, right? A sister, perhaps? I don't mean to pry. I simply realized you look familiar, somehow." He's going through people he's met in his mind, trying to place that feeling. He's not met that many people during his time in Nexus, after all.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Courtyard - Sekhmet

"It was my mother," Sekhmet explains. "A sister? Uh, sort of. Why do you ask?" She can't imagine he would recognize her from Sele, but she's thinking of Sele's current appearance, and not the one she had a while back.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
AshenAmbrosia
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Pronouns: she/her

Post by AshenAmbrosia »

Morty wrote: Mar 21, 2023 11:41 pm [Courtyard]

Wenomir

Wenomir's eyes drift towards Cass' legs, as they were intended to. Now there's a sight that will keep his mood better throughout this evening. As he has to make nice with people he'd rather drop down a well, at least he'll have this beauty by his side.

"If this was a funeral, I might actually be in a better mood. Depending on whose funeral it was. If it was Magtok's funeral I'd be cheerful like Coco on a walk. But you do look breathtaking tonight, regardless."
[Courtyard]

"Oh, I'm sure," says Cass, smirking. "Though I must say, I-..."

Whatever clever comment Cass was on the verge of making trails away as she gets distracted by Jezebel's entrance, following her path towards Cessie with what can only be described as wide-eyed admiration and awe.

"You know, I didn't believe it when you told me, and seeing them next together, I still don't believe it," she murmurs, staring at the lavender-skinned daemon in an increasingly blatant manner.

Well, surely Wenomir wouldn't mind if she filled her eyes at least a little, right? Fortunately, she's saved from things getting a little too awkward by the arrival of a very noisy helicopter, pulling her eyes upwards, and then in a full circle as Magtok makes his entrance.

"Speaking of. Well, I'm going to get a drink, have a look around. Try not to actually get into any duels before I get back?"
Last edited by AshenAmbrosia on Mar 28, 2023 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Ironsmith wrote: Mar 24, 2023 7:21 pm [Chemistry with Chef Bacon]

"I'm fine!" Eun reassures him quickly... and likely unconvincingly. "Just... went down the wrong tube, is all."

Not quite what happened, but slightly less likely to offend than "I just remembered you guys can't make a decent drink to save your collective lives".

...Wait, that is what he's asking about, right? Is she giving off "help I'm depressed" signals again?

Eun flinches involuntarily as Sam's hand unexpectedly (but to his credit, gently) rests on her shoulder.

Yep.

For Sam, the sensation under his hand will be one of sudden tension, followed by slow, gradual release. That's pretty typical of her; initial discomfort, followed by acclimation.

"...So, um..." Eun begins again, putting her hand on Sam's and stroking it gently. "...A date, huh? Does that mean you, ah, had a plan for tonight?"

That would make one of them. Eun's itinerary ended at "show up".
Chemistry with Chef Bacon

"Well, it was mostly making sure the two of us live through the night. Maybe vaguely swaying to music." He's aware neither of them can dance. "No singing at this kind of gig." Sam certainly has a much better singing voice than his dancing ability, that's for sure.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Earl of Purple wrote: Mar 27, 2023 11:11 am Courtyard- Felicity & Arkant

"A little bit, yes. I'm Felicity, I work in the labs." Felicity smiles at Arkant. She's not a phoenix, but the truth is slightly embarrassing so unless Arkant asks directly she's not going to take the bait being offered.

"Arkant, a founder, nice to meet you." he says and extends a hand. Independent of her reaction he will continue.
"Well, your skincolor is unique I would say. So what do you mean by 'a little bit? I am curiouse. My work involves apperance like skincolor and all."
Morty

Post by Morty »

"Our clients' satisfaction is paramount, of course. One of our slogans is that morality may be relative but professional standards aren't." Dipsnig nods sagely. "But that's not a mutually exclusive goal, is it? Being unprofessional is no way to make money. Not unless you scam someone and then run off to the next town over."

[Courtyard]

Wenomir can't hide his amusement at Cass' reaction. Which is surprisingly similar to Cessie's, who also seems to have briefly lost her ability to speak.

"No promises," he says, leaning down to kiss Cass on the cheek. "But I'll be sure to win if I do."
Magtok
Pointy Eared Baby Devourer

Post by Magtok »

Courtyard

Oh fantastic. It was bad enough when Dipsnig let his entire wolf pack join him at holiday parties, but now he's letting an unleashed and unsupervised canine wander about? How in the world does he keep getting invited to these things with such wild and dangerous animals menacing the entire-

Wait.

That wolf isn't a wolf, it's a husky. A husky dressed up as a wizard, for whatever reason. Who decided to play dress-up with a dog? It's nowhere near Spooktober; what's the point of doing this now, at the beginning of spring? Magtok raises an eyebrow at the beast, unsure if he should try speaking to it. All the signs are there; it's an animal dressed up as a magical being and it has no apparent owner at the party. That means it has to be some Scooby Doo-esque talking dog, right? It's obvious, it couldn't possibly just be a normal husky dressed up as a wizard. Not this far from October's festivities, not without an owner or someone trying to shoo it away.

Our cyborg frowns, contemplating the dog. It seems almost certain the dog is some sort of sapient super-dog, but if we say hi to it and it doesn't say anything in return, everyone will think we've gone completely insane. Not just mildly eccentric, not just the kind of weirdo who hops out of helicopters when he wants to show off his material wealth, but the sort of raving loon who gets into debates with pigeons and insists that rabbits are plotting to overthrow mankind. What's left of our reputation isn't worth much these days, but it's not worth reducing to that.

More important than that, huskies are fairly large dogs with fairly sharp teeth. It's just as likely that we'll accidentally set it off when we try talking to it like it's people. Random strays are dangerous and unpredictable, and you never know when they'll snap and rip some random cyborg's throat out. Magtok slowly, warily raises a hand to wave hello to the dog, unwilling to approach it and expose himself as the kind of nitwit who speaks to random animals expecting them to all be like Reinholdt. There, that's our token gesture of goodwill, mutt. You can take it or leave it; Magtok isn't risking his throat or his notoriety just to find out when and where Vigil recruited a doggomancer.
"You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
-Daniel H. Wilson
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

"I used to work in Skyside for a man called Professor Payne. He produces and sells superserums, and I was learning from him in... a kind of apprenticeship, crossed with an internship, crossed with a lab assistant job. I mapped my genome so I could safely apply a serum to myself. It changed my skin, and made my tears, sweat, and so on flammable. My blood ignites on contact with air." But she's a pretty good biochemist, and has some experience with unusual biology and chemistry that shouldn't work.

The Little Mew Who Could

Indeed. Although it may be unusually familiar to LB-M, as it's somewhat like the Octohedron- inasmuch as it's a partially extradimensional space used to store knowledge and learning. Please follow me. The Encyclopede turns back to the hoatzin, which once more opens its beak and stretches it really wide to create a tunnel that the Encyclopede and its porygon minion enter.

quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

"Morality is relative? How refreshingly honest," says Nathair with a chuckle, "But yes, I have no interest in scamming anyone. That never works on in the long run. Eventually your misdeeds catch up to you, every time." They give a shiver, clapping their hands together suddenly.

"Right, enough of that grim talk. It's been lovely meeting you, and I'm sure you'll be seeing me again in the near future. For now, I think I'm going to do a little more networking while I have the chance." They hold out a hand to shake.
Morty

Post by Morty »

Dipsnig shakes Nathair's hand firmly.

"Very well, then. It was a pleasure. I hope to see you in MERC later."
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by [brackets lover] »

Magtok wrote: Mar 28, 2023 10:00 am Courtyard

Oh fantastic. It was bad enough when Dipsnig let his entire wolf pack join him at holiday parties, but now he's letting an unleashed and unsupervised canine wander about? How in the world does he keep getting invited to these things with such wild and dangerous animals menacing the entire-

Wait.

That wolf isn't a wolf, it's a husky. A husky dressed up as a wizard, for whatever reason. Who decided to play dress-up with a dog? It's nowhere near Spooktober; what's the point of doing this now, at the beginning of spring? Magtok raises an eyebrow at the beast, unsure if he should try speaking to it. All the signs are there; it's an animal dressed up as a magical being and it has no apparent owner at the party. That means it has to be some Scooby Doo-esque talking dog, right? It's obvious, it couldn't possibly just be a normal husky dressed up as a wizard. Not this far from October's festivities, not without an owner or someone trying to shoo it away.

Our cyborg frowns, contemplating the dog. It seems almost certain the dog is some sort of sapient super-dog, but if we say hi to it and it doesn't say anything in return, everyone will think we've gone completely insane. Not just mildly eccentric, not just the kind of weirdo who hops out of helicopters when he wants to show off his material wealth, but the sort of raving loon who gets into debates with pigeons and insists that rabbits are plotting to overthrow mankind. What's left of our reputation isn't worth much these days, but it's not worth reducing to that.

More important than that, huskies are fairly large dogs with fairly sharp teeth. It's just as likely that we'll accidentally set it off when we try talking to it like it's people. Random strays are dangerous and unpredictable, and you never know when they'll snap and rip some random cyborg's throat out. Magtok slowly, warily raises a hand to wave hello to the dog, unwilling to approach it and expose himself as the kind of nitwit who speaks to random animals expecting them to all be like Reinholdt. There, that's our token gesture of goodwill, mutt. You can take it or leave it; Magtok isn't risking his throat or his notoriety just to find out when and where Vigil recruited a doggomancer.
Courtyard

Jon understood the gesture well enough, and was just as wary towards the one making it. Thus, fate put them both in a difficult circumstance. For the sake of easing tensions, Jon closed his eyes and made certain to keep his fangs from sight.

There, he has shown that he trusted the mysterious cyborg, insofar as his curiosities demand to be sated. Jon bows his head down and pauses for a second, before gently howling at various pitches, revealing his gruff voice. As he sung, arcane energy materialized above him before coalescing into a single large, azure human hand floating in the air. This spectral hand enthusiastically waved back to Magtok, with the one controlling it dramatically taking a few steps towards the purple entrepreneur before sending the floating hand over to grab a cocktail, returning to the canine sorcerer with the drink in hand. Jon would carefully lap up a very small quantity of the drink, an amount as appropriate as can be for a dog. Putting the hand to his side, Jon then gets up close to Magtok, lifting his right paw up so as to gesture Magtok to "shake"
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Earl of Purple wrote: Mar 28, 2023 1:57 pm Courtyard- Felicity & Arkant

"I used to work in Skyside for a man called Professor Payne. He produces and sells superserums, and I was learning from him in... a kind of apprenticeship, crossed with an internship, crossed with a lab assistant job. I mapped my genome so I could safely apply a serum to myself. It changed my skin, and made my tears, sweat, and so on flammable. My blood ignites on contact with air." But she's a pretty good biochemist, and has some experience with unusual biology and chemistry that shouldn't work.

The Little Mew Who Could

Indeed. Although it may be unusually familiar to LB-M, as it's somewhat like the Octohedron- inasmuch as it's a partially extradimensional space used to store knowledge and learning. Please follow me. The Encyclopede turns back to the hoatzin, which once more opens its beak and stretches it really wide to create a tunnel that the Encyclopede and its porygon minion enter.

"What an odd coincidence." Arkant says. "I also happen to have a lab in Skyside, at the time I started it I was new to the nexus, and my area of ​​Expertise isn't that far away from what this Professor Paynedid. Thought I am more in a plastic surgeon area." he holds up the hand he offered and shows her it's back were she might see the scales growing instead of hair.
"I would guess your skin is fireproof too? If not I assume any bleeding would be extremly harmfull. What was the base for this Serum?" He defnitly is intressed in that and not only in the be polite way.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

"I am mostly immune to fire, yeah. I don't want to say completely immune, because fire removes oxygen and I still need that to breathe." But coincidentally her throat and lungs are hardened against smoke, though Felicity's not fully aware of that. She's not put her body through destructive testing, since she still needs it to live and also she can't afford unnecessary surgery because her blood ignites on contact with air. "Well, that's the interesting thing. I've not been able to replicate it yet, and Professor Payne's own method is... wildly unethical. The power gained by an application varies from person to person, based on a variety of factors, some of which I know he's identified and others I suspect he hasn't. Including genetics, that's quite an important one. If you get that wrong your body can reject the power in a very fatal manner. I've heard about people exploding, for example." Which wouldn't be so bad if they'd stopped screaming. "Professor Payne didn't care about that so long as they paid him. So he didn't try to make it safe. So I'm trying at the moment to backwards engineer it and make it safe, and... I've still got quite a way to go yet." She's got some cloned mice she's testing it on, and it's not yet going well.