Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

For free floating plots that wish to be separated from specific locales.
Ironsmith
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

Post by Ironsmith »

[Fetchquest: Boorab]

"...Well. That complicates things." Tahara comments, rolling the ear around on her fingers. ".. Sort of. I mean, since we have a piece of him here, I might be able to arrange a way of talking to him- sort of- but he won't be getting the ear back if I do."

The trash witch gives them a small, rueful smile. "See, when I died, my little friends here started nibbling on my corpse, and they liked me so much they made me a part of them. I remembered pretty much everything that happened before then, too. There's not nearly as much of Boo's boyfriend here, but if it worked once on me for hundreds of years, this should buy us... I want to say at least a few months. More than enough time to track him down."

She turns to Mary and Mat again. "What do you say, girls? Should we give it a shot?"
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Fetchquest
Mary doesn't reply. She's too busy trying desperately not to be sick.

Scratch that.

She dashes around the nearest corner where the muffled sounds of her lunch violently exiting her body can be heard. Naturally, she doesn't answer the question.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Fetchquest: Boorab

Mat doesn't stop Mary dashing off, and chooses not to listen to the sounds of Mary vomiting.

"Uh... If he's still alive, he'll want his ear back. Aren't there any other clues as to where Boo's gone? Like, you give someone an ear to prove you've got someone to get ransom off their family. Any places that might be a dropoff location for the ransom or whatever?" Like the bloodstained note that was also in the box with the ear, perhaps. Although if Tahara claims there is no note, then perhaps Mat will go along with it and let the cockroach princess eat the appendage.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

"Well, there was a note that came with it." Tahara says with a nonchalant shrug, holding it out to Mat. "But I doubt your brother's boyfriend is gonna be there. Your brother himself, maybe, if he was scared enough to do what they said. But since they've got leverage and they're clearly the ruthless sort, they might not have any intention of releasing him once they get what they want."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Fetchquest
Mary returns, looking very pale and having missed the intervening conversation. So she can't really comment, just continue trying not to be sick.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Fetchquest

"Boorab's being stupid, but he's not being stupid in the way you think. He's got my sword, and I really don't think he's going to pawn it off. I'd hidden it from him to stop him, and it turns out he knew where it was anyway. Idiot doesn't know how to use it, he's a bloody chef. He'll go where he's told and get in trouble. We gotta hurry, though. The Shuttered Coin... that's a gambling den. It's this way. You OK, Mary?" Mat's very ready to get going and play the big damn hero, though she's also aware that Mary might not be feeling her best right now.

Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

"Uh-huh. And while we're doing that, the guys who kidnapped Boorab's boytoy are going to either A) realize he's more trouble than he's worth and kill him, or B) cut off more body parts to prove a point. I say we split up; I go for the boyfriend, you save your brother." Tahara dangles the ear over her mouth, ready to follow through on her plan at a moment's notice.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Fetchquest
Mary gags again, but she has no lunch left to lose. "I'll... Be fine." She probably will be eventually. But not right now. "Don't worry about me." She'd love to approve Tahara's plan so that she won't have to deal with the disgusting trash witch anymore, but she feels like it's not her call to make.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Fetchquest

"They're asking for a ransom. He'll be at the Shattered Coin. If he's not there, Boorab's got no reason to hand over whatever valuables they think he's taking with him. Unless they mug him and keep Pterry elsewhere to do it again, but I don't think they're that smart. These guys are small-time, I don't think they've got any experience in the field of kidnapping. I mean, they've told him to go to their main headquarters, not a front location." Mat's pretty confident about this, which is why she's walking off as fast as she can now that she thinks Mary's OK again.

Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Fetchquest]

"Then we'll end up in the same place." Tahara reasons. "Look, the fact is, we're working with a lot of unknowns here, and if we make too many assumptions, Pterry could- hey! Slow down!" The trash witch scurries after Mat, attempting to make her case even as they start walking toward the tavern in question. "What are you going to do if you're wrong? If you get there and you can only save Boorab? Knowing full well that there was a way to get to Pterry, which was more foolproof, but you chose not to take it? What are you going to say to him then? 'Oops, my bad'?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Fetchquest
"Tahara, don't." Mary finally speaks. "Don't eat his ear, we won't get anything out of it." She gestures to Mat. "Like she said, they need him in order to exchange him for ransom. He'll be there." And Mary has a strong feeling that she shouldn't allow Tahara to eat even parts of people.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Fetchquest

"And if he's there, and you've eaten his ear, he'll be royally pissed. And so would Boorab. Let's wait and keep it for if we need it, 'kay? Sticking stuff like that back on is a lot easier'n regrowing it entirely. Cheaper, too, which... Which is very handy, for us." With Boorab selling everything he could to make currency enough to gamble away, there's little enough in their bank accounts for paying for something like that. Mat's hoping this counts as an adventure; that makes looting the place legal, right?

Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

Arkhosia wrote: Feb 28, 2023 7:47 pm [Feline Family Friction]

"Hey- no one's gonna fucking kill you on my watch," Blanche retorts, "Not me, not them, and definitely not any of those friends of yours who went and left you." Her tone isn't quite a reassurance - if anything, it's more as if she's willing it into truth. It will not happen because she will not allow it to happen.

"Alright, look." There's another grimacing "nfh" and the knee on Liz's back lifts as Blanche grabs her shoulder and rolls the hacker onto her back. It's not the most careful or gentle motion, but now at least her face isn't against the floor.

"I don't know what your gang came here to do, but I had one of your radios. I know you were here for data, and I know you didn't sign up to work with killers." With Liz bound, Blanche pulls back to lean against the wall and hold her side with one hand. The other pulls a battered medic bag to the side. Finding a roll of gauze, she pulls back to shrug off her jacket. Liz's eyes might spot an old, familiar symbol as she does - worn, scratched out and painted over, but the outline remains like a faded ghost upon her armor.

Steely, cerise eyes focus on her. "I'm not here for you, I'm here for people like them."
[Feline Family Friction]

"Yeah, what the fuck are you going to do? 'Oh she didn't mean to be an accessory to murder!' Are you kidding me!? I'm fucked!" Elizabeth's eyes were wide with panic, and her breath rapid and ragged. The only respite she had right now is that Zarra seemed perfectly fine leaving her not dead at the scene- but who was to say she wouldn't come back and clear loose ends?

She finally got a better look at Blanche as she was hauled onto her back. Her captor's reassurances that she had overheard the comms was another tiny drop of reassurance, enough for her to cling to as a hopeful way out, but she still hardly felt safe or okay. "Look, I... I needed proof, okay!? T-There's this guy, Hamish, the... he's the CEO of this place. Shit, I just wanted proof, half of his shit is fraud, I was going to expose him and his company, I assumed the others were hired by his competitors or something- holy shit. Shit shit shit. There was like, location data in there. Personal records, plans, shit they- they could be trying to fucking kill him!" The words came tumbling out of her mouth so fast she was barely coherent,

And then her eyes caught sight of the faded symbol on Blanche's armor, and she felt like panicking all over again. Disgust rose within her, and before she could stop herself a barbed comment rose to her tongue. "You'd know all about people like them, wouldn't you, you're a fucking Ascendant!"
Bismark wrote:Silence, birb-wench.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Fetchquest]

"With the right magic, it could be grown right back." Tahara points out. "But... fine. I can see there's no talking you into it. I'll just hold onto this for now." The trash witch pulls a piece of tin foil out of her "hair", drops the ear within, and wraps it up, before tucking it back in where her sternum would be. She makes a mental note to find a body of still water between here and the Shattered Coin, if at all possible; if this is going to end badly because they were stubborn, she wants to know sooner rather than later.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

► SHOW SPOILER
[Feline Family Friction]

Kill him? That's enough to set Blanche alert again as Liz spills the beans. The hands wrapping bandages around her side pick up the pace. "Shit- listen, are you sure that's what they were here for? Can you still access that data? If we know what they know, we can head them off-""

And then she hears that word. Ascendant.

It arrests a sudden motion to her feet, affixing Blanche in a forward lean. For a moment, she looks blindsided - and then her eyes narrow with a wounded fury. "Don't you ever fucking call me that again, kid." she snarls. Standing all at once, she yanks the bandage taut in a manner that does not look particularly comfortable. Then, stalking past Liz, she starts to survey the servers for damage, only pausing to reach down and haul the hacker into a sitting position on her way. "Help me fix this or keep your mouth shut."
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Fetchquest
Mary nods and follows behind Mat. "We shouldn't waste it if we don't have to. It's not ours." Off to the Coin they finally go.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Fetchquest: Pterry & Boorab

"Yeah, you can also reattach it magically. Difference is, if we got the ear, sticking it back on's cheaper. And if you hadn't noticed, my brother's in debt. We can scrounge the money to reattach it easier than to regrow it." Which has always been Mat's motive for not letting Tahara eat it.

The Coin isn't that far away, though in a far grottier area. The front door's down an alleyway, marked by a green light outside and a wooden sign in the shape of a coin and painted yellow, though the paint has faded. Standing outside the front door is a hammerhead goblin, hunched and wiry in build and leaning against the wall next to the door. His yellowy-brown skin marked with jagged tattoos, a vicious-looking cleaver hanging at his waist; he's wearing a pair of jeans and a denim waistcoat with no shirt underneath. Mat pulls a slingshot from a hidden pocket in her skirt and loads it with an acorn, and will shoot it at the goblin if the other girls don't interrupt.

Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Fetchquest: Pterry and Boorab]

Tahara puts a hand over Mat's slingshot. "What are you, five?" She hisses, annoyed.

The trash witch follows this up by walking straight up to the door (and the goblin, by extension) and giving him a little wave, attempting to walk in like she didn't even see him as an actual obstacle. "Workin' hard?" She greets casually, flashing her ID.

Which, strictly speaking, is what she's supposed to do, isn't it?

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Fetchquest
Mary stands back and frowns at Tahara. There's no way that will work - Tahara can't be old enough. And even if it does, it won't get her or Mat inside. Mostly it seems like an issue for Mat. Mary could shapeshift to look like an adult if she has to - it's not comfortable but it would probably get her inside.
Terumitsu
Fresh Baby Poster

Post by Terumitsu »

Keeper wrote: Feb 06, 2023 1:29 am Sunday Afternoon

Gala turns and blinks in surprise as she finds the wolf-man no longer there.
"Wow, it's totally uniform and it never melts? That's really amazing. And you really know a lot about your craft. I admit I love cold treats but I don't know much at all about how they're made.
But um. I'm sure it's absolutely perfect! I think that guy left, though. So um. Do you sell any of this, or is it more art for you?"
the girl blinks. "I mean it's absolutely fine if it is, I'm just curious." She looks like she has other things to say but is holding them back.
Sunday Afternoon

A terribly snooty sniff as that icy tone followed through. "Unfortunately.. I am selling. I cannot just give it away as for some reason that is seen as having 'nefarious aims' if an exchange is not somehow made. But even then! I reserve the right to declare one unfit of my art!"

A pause.

"Well? You seem to have more resting on your tongue there. Out with it." a rapping of cold, sharp fingers on the metal top of the stand followed. They also pushed the cube forwards as if asking for the art to be tasted as well.. And if it was,, Gala would find that rather than scooping, it would just.. Fall apart into more bite-sized cubes. Cubes all the way down it seems.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Sunday Afternoon

Assuming a spoon is provided, Gala will happily accept a bite of the dessert. She has her wallet with her, after all.
"Well, I just was going to ask how much you charge. And then ask if you focus on stuff like this or do you make like. Other stuff too? Because this is great but my favorite is gelato. I'm sure if you made that it would be amazing."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Fetchquest

The goblin won't let Tahara flash the card. He'll stop her until he can take it and have a closer look. He'll compare the image on it to the bug-witch, glowering the whole while, before grunting in acceptance and opening the door.

Inside, if Tahara enters, is an opulently dingy room, high-quality and expensive furnishings that are undeniably worn, unfashionable or damaged. A thick green carpet has been worn threadbare near the door, the electric chandelier hanging from the ceiling is dusty and needs a replacement bulb, thick curtains over the peeling wallpaper hide any other doors into or out of the entry chamber. There's a hatstand next to the door, two bowler hats, a tricorn and a peaked cap on the prongs as three scarfs and a shawl are draped over it. There's a green-skinned Twi'lek sat at a desk in front of a coatrack, a mechanical till, a modern laptop and a rotary telephone on the desk in front of her. "Hello, sweetheart. What sins are you interested in today? Lust, greed, gluttony?" the Twi'lek pauses, looking up for the first time and seeing Tahara properly. "Perhaps panuplanitoplasty?"

Outside, Mat frowns as Tahara gets the bouncer to open the door. "Well, that's her sorted. And probably you, too. Can you only do... uh, humanoids the word is in this language? Or could you turn into something I can hide inside that looks good enough to get you in? Since if it's just you and Tahara, neither Pterry nor Boorab's gonna trust you much." Although Mary's already demonstrated the ability to near-perfectly mimic Mat's appearance, which might make things easier in that regard.

bc56

Post by bc56 »

Fetchquest
"Um... Inside me? I don't even know how that would work." She really doesn't. "My mum can change other people but I don't know how." She looks around the sides of the building. "Maybe I could open a window for you?" At the same time, Mary considers what form she should take. She doesn't really want to look like herself for this, that would be a bad idea. She pulls a small mirror out of her bag to make some adjustments to her face, then turns her attention to her body. Something different. Her wings, horns, and tail fold into her body and her skin fades into a natural, earthy hue. Now that she looks human, she can concentrate on gaining a couple inches of height and an adult build, and changing her clothes to something other than a school uniform, like a nice jacket and pants.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Fetchquest]

"Wrath." Tahara says simply to the Twi'lek, crossing her arms, before giving her an amiable smirk. "Sorry. You just set me up too well for that one. We're actually just here to meet some people, so we'll get out of your... hair... here in a moment." She turns to move toward the curtains, before stopping and turning back to her. "Actually... have you got any peanuts? I hear you guys have the best peanuts in town."

It is, of course, entirely possible that Tahara misheard. But either way, she'll try to keep the Twi'lek busy for a few minutes.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Fetchquest
Inside

"Wrath is available, if you are interested. We host cage fights. Who are you here to meet? Do you know what sin they are here to partake in?" She also reaches into a drawer and pulls out a bag of salted peanuts, which she'll give to Tahara. They're probably no better than any other salted peanuts bagged across the city.

Outside

"How'm I supposed to know? I'm stuck in one shape, albeit a very pretty one. Opening a window might work. Don't matter what floor it's on; that wall looks really climbable." Perhaps it doesn't to Mary, but then Mat's a squirrel who lives in a tree. She's very good at and experienced in climbing. There are some windows to open, on the upper floors. None on the ground floor.

Mat's going to watch with some interest whilst Mary changes, though will look away if Mary shows signs of being uncomfortable whilst being watched.

bc56

Post by bc56 »

Fetchquest
Mary doesn't seem embarrassed to be watched while changing. It's not like she's naked at any point during the process.
Then, with that settled, she nods to Mat and heads around to the front of the building, hoping her adult appearance will get her past the bouncer unimpeded. After all, she doesn't have any ID resembling her current form.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Fetchquest]

They...

They actually have peanuts.

Wow.

Okay.

Tahara was expecting that request to take just a bit more effort to fulfill... at the very least, that the Twi'lek would have to retrieve them from the back room, giving Tahara a chance to snoop around.

...Huh.

Tahara weighs the bag of peanuts for a moment, before flashing the Twi'lek a little smile. "...You know, in life, I was allergic to these things." She says. "Like, really allergic. My sister tricked me into taking a bite from her peanut butter and jelly sandwich once, and I had to go to the hospital, it was so bad. Buuut~" She grins. "I've got a different body now. And I've always wondered what peanuts are actually supposed to taste like. What the hell. You only live twice, right?" She makes a little "cheers" gesture with the bag and dumps a few of the peanuts into her mouth...

Only to gag and immediately spit them out, along with a few clusters of roaches that go scurrying off into the corners of the room immediately.

"Oh, dear gods..." Tahara grouses, making a face. "That was... how can you people stand to eat anything so... yech! Look, this is actually making my skin crawl!" She holds up her arm for the Twi'lek to see, revealing that her constituent roaches were, in fact, crawling away from the bag, tumbling over one another in their haste to get away.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Fetchquest
Inside

"I enjoy the crunch. And the saltiness makes me thirsty, which reminds me to drink often." Hydration may or may not work this way. "Also, I need to request that you ensure you leave with all the cockroaches you arrived with. We have yet to fail a food standards inspection, and I don't want to be the reason why we have to take 'gluttony' off the list of available sins." She doesn't ask for the peanuts back, however. Probably a wise idea.

Outside

Mat, then, will watch with interest and some minor disappointment that Mary picked a human form.

Unfortunately for her, however, Mary will be stopped by the hammerhead goblin. "Sorry miss. No entry on yer first visit without me seein' yer ID or gettin' a known customer t' vouch for ya. That bein' someone who comes regular enough I know 'em by name." The wiry humanoid's voice is gravelly and scratchy, and he glowers at Mary as he stops her.

bc56

Post by bc56 »

Fetch Quest
Mary gulps quietly. She doesn't have an ID or a friend who's a member.
She can at least use some of the basic succubus tricks she knows though. She glances down at her chest. "Right. Um..." she actually has some cleavage now, she could try to conjure an object out of it. She reaches inside, concentrates, and pulls out a plastic ID card showing her current face. The text squirms for a moment before settling into a name and description: Emanelle Velderon, human, female, age 24. The ID isn't exactly right - Mary doesn't remember exactly what a real one looks like. Hopefully it's close enough - after all this is the Nexus there have to be lots of unusual IDs out there. "Here."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Fetchquest]

"Can't promise that, sorry." Tahara wheezes, bumping a fist against where her sternum would be if she had a skeleton in there anywhere. "Little guys are jumping ship. Deciding they don't really want to be a part of me anymore. Not much I can do to convince them to come back." She shrugs. "But, I can promise not to make the problem any worse. No more for me." She goes to set the peanut bag back on the counter between them, before thinking better of it; the Twi'lek probably going to want to reclaim food that was just being held by a trash pile. "...Do you have a wastebasket back there or anything?" She asks, curling the bag over itself to seal it shut.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,