Riverside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Riverside

Post by Earl of Purple »

Midnight: Hompton Road

Bobbi looks a bit worried, but swallows and goes forward to ring the doorbell.

Nothing happens for a moment. "Maybe... maybe nobody's home?" There's a light on upstairs, though, and then the door... doesn't open. There's a boom and crackling thud as a shotgun is fired into the door, the pellets smashing a hole through the plastic but losing a lot of force as they do. Bobbi yells and dives down, avoiding another blast now the first smashed a hole in the door.

A voice calls out. "You get away, you creeps! I've called the cops, they're on their way and they're gonna shoot first and ask questions never! Got it? Piss right off! My life, not yours, you left it- you left him! He's my husband, leave us alone!" The voice sounds a lot like Bobbi's, though not as nervous. Still scared, and they've not turned a light on.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.

Tags:
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

Meowmai wrote: Mar 27, 2023 4:19 am [Big Trouble - Post Scriptum]

"Uh, yeah, um... right." Uh oh. Ana was going to be very cross later. Atsede would have to avoid getting hit in her round 2 fight then, so she doesn't find out. Given last time though, that doesn't seem super likely. Ah well. That was a future Atsede problem. It was a bit hard to take Ana seriously though- she was trying very hard to look stern, but it wasn't fully working in the Changeling's eyes. She looked kinda adorable, really.

Atsede doesn't miss the laughter in Eliseo's voice, a sure sign that the rungs had been pulled out from under her. She made a face at him. "When we finally get to play CoD together I'm gonna steamroll you so hard," she lightly jabbed.
[Big Trouble - Post Scriptum]

The stern demeanor starts to falter once Ana cottons onto the tone in Eliseo's voice. She blinks and feels her cheeks start to warm up a little. "Well - um, I should probably like, eat something lunch ends," the girl points out, eager to shift the topic somehow. She hadn't even started to unpack her own lunchbox in all the chaos! Though to be fair, her earlier anxiety didn't make eating lunch very easy.

Atsede's jab does earn a giggle and she adds, a little playfully as she starts to eat her food, "You better invite me for that, he needs to get thrashed sometimes." Not that it isn't incredibly charming how how cocky Eliseo is, of course.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Project Icarus]

"... So Svartha's like your second Mom. Interesting." As far as mothering golems go anyways. Certainly explains a lot.

Tauron was summoned while away too so the hope his creator is alive is not unfounded. Ilpholin doubts she'll have time to go searching for her though. Nor could she really confirm the benefits of doing so.

"I suppose I'll need to talk to Svartha now." Ilpholin runs her hand through her hair and sighs. "Since it would seem that I promised them a fight with demons. Which means either finally moving on Hell's Bend and stamping out that cancer, or visiting the three frozen sages and creating a bridge for the angels to arrive."
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jaahlyn is just as shocked as Bobbie.
Had someone just fired a gun into their own door due to someone ringing the doorbell?!

Then again.

The satyr stares at the door in disbelief until she realizes that she ought to take cover too.

As she ducks behind the wall just can just make out the voice. Bobbies voice but also one of a madwoman.
No, not mad. Afraid.
And not someone, something. Something which had just realized that it had outlived its purpose.
Or that's what her death aspect whispered in her mind at least.
Instinctively she glanced at her bauble. Or more specifically, the tiny hourglass within it. But it wasn't really helpful as it was acting up again. Showing both that time was nearly up but also that there was plenty left.

Maybe if she could get closer...

[Project Icarus]

"You should ask her more about their expedition here if you talk to her." Tauron suggests. "Since apparently she doesn't want to inform me about anything." He waves his claw in what seems like a frustrated manner. "And no, I wouldn't call her... that."
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Project Icarus]

"Of course you wouldn't." Nahlrae refuses to call Ilpholin mom too, but that doesn't change the facts.

"I'm going to take a wild guess that any negotiations would proceed smoother if you two weren't in the same room together." They barely seemed able to manage a phone call. Svartha seemed inclined to cut Tauron off at every turn.
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Project Icarus]

Tauron glares daggers at her. Not really appreciating the sentiment.
"It would probably be for the best. Though I would still like to listen in to any discussion that happens if you'll permit me. I do like to know my creators status. I'm sure Svartha would have at least informed me if she wasn't around anymore."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

After the challenge called out from inside, Bobbi-the-Changeling scampers a short distance before running, just legging it out of there. There's also the sound of a shotgun being broken open so new shells can be inserted into the barrels, so Jaahlyn might have a moment to talk to Bobbi-the-Fetch. But Bobbi-the-Changeling isn't apparently interested in fighting this battle, at least not here and not yet.

Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Project Icarus]

"I'll set up a one way audio-visual feed so you can listen in. What is your creator's name? I can see if maybe Svartha is more willing to provide me with information about her status," Ilpholin offers as she straightens up, pushing away from the wall in preparation to go do all that.
► SHOW SPOILER
Artemis
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Artemis »

Earl of Purple wrote: Mar 02, 2023 6:53 pm Weird William's

Vastr gives the mermaid a thumb's up and goes back to his rum.

The cheese-eaters turn to look at Sanaa as she approaches, the gambling stopping dead. "Yes, yes I would. May I see them?" He pulls a jewellers loupe out and a set of scales, though Sanaa might note that the weights with it are a little large for how heavy they allege to be. He's a man wearing a rather nice grey pinstripe suit, which almost looks tailored- though as it sits a little awkwardly on his shoulders, he's either recently lost weight or it was made for someone else. He's got a wispy moustache and black hair, mostly short but he's got a long rat-tail dangling down the back. There's six others, also wearing suits, but they're not as nice; either look cheaper, or not tailored, or a far worse fit, or in the case of the twitchy young woman with the long nose at the back, mismatched with obvious repairs to the jacket, a straight stitch stretching two centimetres over the chest opposite a pocket.
Sanaa pulls out five pearls from a pouch, not perfect in shape or color but of good size. Each would be worth about 50gp.

"I found these on my last job. The oysters made for a good breakfast, but the pearls are the real prize!" Mostly, because they could be exchanged for gold, which could further be exchanged for the finer things in life. An oyster was a small gift compared to that.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Project Icarus]

Tauron just stares at Ilpholin for a moment as if struggling with something internally.

"I... I am sorry, Ilpholin. But an accident have rendered me incapable of remembering my creators name."
Seemingly feeling there's further need to explain that, he soon adds. "I've been ordered to not speak about it to anyone but I shall point out that it was the only accident my creator ever had." Then after a moment of odd hesitation. "...probably due to her heightened emotional state at the time. I'm sure all creators have such moments though." He looks at her as if he's looking for a sign of confirmation.

Fuck.
Jaahlyn had to make sure she didn't run away and hurt herself before doing anything else so she pursues Bobbie. Hoping to catch up and stop her before she did anything stupid.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Weird William's

The cheese-eater hems and haws a little, weighing each pearl, holding them up to the light, and similar tests of value that he certainly knows and I certainly do not. "Hmm. Yes, well. I can give you... forty gold each." It's not full price, but he's a fence, not a legitimate jeweller. And he'd probably be tempted to go lower if they weren't in Weird William's. "They are nice, but I have seen better. I don't think you'd find a price better than mine, anyway." Although it depends on where one looks, the cheese-eater boss doesn't think Sanaa knows anywhere better.

Hompton Road: Midnight

Bobbi is fleetfooted and swift, with good endurance. Comes from spending however long she was a captive as a wild beast hunted by hounds, most likely; her Keeper liked human quarry as it proved more imaginative than fae beasts or goblins. Jaahlyn may struggle to catch up or keep up, though if she figures out that Bobbi is headed back to Moth Park that may prove easier.

Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

Meowmai wrote: Mar 27, 2023 4:19 am [Big Trouble - Post Scriptum]

"Uh, yeah, um... right." Uh oh. Ana was going to be very cross later. Atsede would have to avoid getting hit in her round 2 fight then, so she doesn't find out. Given last time though, that doesn't seem super likely. Ah well. That was a future Atsede problem. It was a bit hard to take Ana seriously though- she was trying very hard to look stern, but it wasn't fully working in the Changeling's eyes. She looked kinda adorable, really.

Atsede doesn't miss the laughter in Eliseo's voice, a sure sign that the rungs had been pulled out from under her. She made a face at him. "When we finally get to play CoD together I'm gonna steamroll you so hard," she lightly jabbed.
Arkhosia wrote: Apr 01, 2023 8:40 pm [Big Trouble - Post Scriptum]

The stern demeanor starts to falter once Ana cottons onto the tone in Eliseo's voice. She blinks and feels her cheeks start to warm up a little. "Well - um, I should probably like, eat something lunch ends," the girl points out, eager to shift the topic somehow. She hadn't even started to unpack her own lunchbox in all the chaos! Though to be fair, her earlier anxiety didn't make eating lunch very easy.

Atsede's jab does earn a giggle and she adds, a little playfully as she starts to eat her food, "You better invite me for that, he needs to get thrashed sometimes." Not that it isn't incredibly charming how how cocky Eliseo is, of course.
[Big Trouble - Post Scriptum]

"Yeah you better eat. No one wants hungry Ana." He mocks a worried look before laughing and bumping his shoulder into her.

"So you've been practicing day and night. Since you think you've got a chance." How did this boy go from the back foot to maximum cocky?
~Images by Soushiyo
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Project Icarus]

"I'm sure they do," Ilpholin blindly confirms, slightly tilting her head as she tries to parse Tauron's history. Did Tauron mean his creator was visibly upset about the accident, like a mother fretting over a child hit by a car? Or did Tauron mean his creator was in a manic state before the accident, some sort of distress causing her to slip up and cause the accident? Ilpholin imagines she'll probably never know.

"Well maybe Svartha can enlighten me when I talk to her," Ilpholin says, turning to walk out of the lab. She stops at the door's threshold, lingering for a moment. Her head turns to one side, looking back at Tauron. "And Tauron?" There's a bit of an awkward silence afterwards, even if Tauron does reply to indicate he's paying attention.

Finally Ilpholin turns her head away. "... Nevermind." She concludes by actually walking out to head to the conference room and make sure none of Nahlrae's murder toys found their way into the seats.

*Svartha's Barricades*

A spider bot of non-phyrexian origin skitters out from the Estate and makes its way to Svartha, where it stops to project a screen with Ilpholin's face upon it. The nymph's voice comes out from some speaker within. "I'm ready to speak with you now face to face to discuss the mission if you and one or two others would come down to the third floor."
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Project Icarus]

Tauron nods solemnly. "Perhaps. Though my creator was never the most forthcoming person so what would she tell Svartha that she wouldn't tell me?" He shakes his head and is about to turn his attention to cleaning up the surgery when Ilpholin says his name.

"Yes?"

He turns his full attention back to her. Seemingly more than a little curious.
Which of course gives all the more impression of disappointment when she says 'nevermind'.

"As you will."

*Svartha's Barricades*

Svartha stops with what she's doing as she notices the bug. She lifts her foot, seemingly in order to crush it underneath her heel when Ilpholin's face suddenly appears.
"Well, well..." She remarks as she puts down the foot again. "Look who it is. I would nothing more than to discuss your plans for this world but I would suggest you coming up here instead though." She gestures at the phyrexians building the barricades. "My soldiers would want to see whose leading them after all. Nothing less satisfying that serving someone who only shows up on screens and is never seen committing to the cause. Holds some merit, no?" She smiles.

Hompton Road: Midnight==> Return to Moth Park

Sadly goats weren't known for their swiftness so Jaahlyn has some trouble keeping up.
But realizing where Bobbie was going helped since there was no way she was going back to the dreaming, right? The manifestation of it she had experienced sounded awful and as terrible as that encounter was going back was suicide. Especially with the yokai-

Right.

The yokai.

Running it is then.

She will pause a moment once she reaches the gates of moth park to catch her breath. Hoping that Bobbie hadn't gotten herself killed just yet...
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Project Icarus]

"You would have me discuss war plans outside amongst the rank and file? I suppose I gave you too much credit..." Ilpholin frowns, but continues with a sudden shift in the conversation.

"Do you believe the mightiest has the right to rule, Svartha?"
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Project Icarus]

"All I asked was you to showed yourself up here, however briefly. The discussion itself would be elsewhere of course. Perhaps even back in your office if you consider it important." Svartha shrugs. "And that depends on what you mean by 'mightiest'. But if you're referring the ideology of the swarm, then no. I do not."
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Project Icarus]

"Then who does have the right to rule Svartha? And why do you believe that to be you?" Ilpholin pursues with the line of questions.
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Project Icarus]

"Ah-ha. I'm so glad you asked this. Saves us the trouble of misunderstanding one another later. Since if you are to lead us you must be given a chance to prove yourself to us, wouldn't you agree? Since I'm actually not sure who should lead just yet. We've only just met after all. But as you want to act like the one in charge I'm willing to play along for now. Perhaps after we've talked you will have changed my mind. I'm nothing but open to possibilities." She tilts her head as she seems to study Ilpholin.

"You do sound a lot more... coherent now. Curious."
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Project Icarus]

Not being sure is technically an answer Ilpholin supposes.

"That would be because I was dead an hour ago," Ilpholin states. "I'll see you on the third floor." The screen of Ilpholin flicks off and the spiderbot thinks it wise to make a hasty retreat just in case all these phyrexians decide to take offense by its presence.
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Project Icarus]

Svartha will eventually be on the third floor. Though unlike last time she doesn't have her big hulking body guards with her. Instead she has two smaller goblin-like creatures that is made of the same black metal as she is. Appearing very much like cooling magma as there's a red shimmer to it. Like there's an eruption ready to happen underneath their skin at any given moment.

"Here I am. Are you planning to subdue or amaze me?" She inquires with a grin as she steps into the office, her arms stretched wide as if closing in with a hug.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Project Icarus]

The conference room could certainly hold more people at the table, but Ilpholin seems content with this small number. A general map of Riverside is laid out and the whole exchange is being broadcast to Tauron elsewhere.

"Neither. The only reason my minions felt the need to impress control over you was to keep you from invading my home and repurposing it for your own agenda, as per their general instructions." Ilpholin motions to the other chairs, not rising to greet Svartha with the hug she so desires.

"You claim to be sent by Elesh Norn. Have you proof? How do I know some other Praetor did not send you?"
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Project Icarus]

Svartha nods as Ilpholin explains this.
However, once the nymph mentions Norn, Svartha grins. Displaying rows of strange black teeth. "Oh no, that was just a lie I used while under the impression one of her sycophants were in charge of this facility. That creepy bitch can go and fuck a rail pike as far as I'm concerned." She remarks while casually taking a seat.

The phyrexian then puts a finger against her lips in a 'hush'' motion as she leans closer a bit. "Just don't tell the other quaesators. Our little secret." Svartha winks and then then leans back again as she presses her hands against one another. "I'm actually here on Urabrask's behalf and something tells me that you would be more sympathetic to our cause. Since you don't actually care all that much about the whole indoctrination deal, do you?" She looks at Ilpholin expectingly.
But behind what could almost be described as a friendly facade there's something dangerous lurking in the back of Svartha's black eyes. As if she was being watched by an agitated cobra. One wrong move and it would strike.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Project Icarus]

A bluff initially or a bluff now? Initially would match closer with what Tauron has suggested, but there'sjust too many unknowns to be certain. Ilpholin slightly inclines her head, suggesting she'll keep Svartha's secret.

"I'm afraid as a native, I have never visited the Phyrexian homeworld and am underversed in the... powers there. I am unfamiliar with Indoctrination. Is it some sort of process or are you referring to the religious like nature of Norn's followers? Either way I suppose it holds no place here."
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Project Icarus]

"It's the idea of subverting the will of everything phyrexia comes across. To make everyone into us or more specifically, slaves to Norn's galaxy-sized ego. Since it's big enough that not even our entire world is large enough to contain it." Svartha smiles again though this time it doesn't quite reach her eyes.

She gestures to Ilpholin. "She would have you crawl underneath her and turn yourself into whatever appliance she finds most useful at the time. Since if you think Tauron likes modifying things you haven't seen her surgeons. Not as much improving people as turning them into her tools, regardless if that happens to involve sewing them all together into a statue just so she can have something pretty to look at."
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Project Icarus]

Ilpholin closes her eyes for a moment. Turning people into tools... isn't that far off from the drow way. Had Ilpholin really drifted that far from her roots?

"I expect that doesn't mesh well with a homeowner who felt their independence threatened, does it?" Ilpholin muses out loud, guessing she stumbled into a modicum of respect inadvertently. "And Urabrask? What is his cause? What does he believe?"
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Project Icarus]

"Or that argumentative helper you had installed. I can respect his utter lack of respect." Svartha muses as she seems to smile to herself.
"Urabrask is different though." She adds in a more serious tone. "He fights for us to have the right to serve ourselves rather than the will of some leader that most will never even see. He's no god or king, Simply the first that dared to oppose her and for that he's earned my trust for now."

She pauses and raises her hand. "I should tell you that we're not the only phyrexians that arrived here though now that introduced you to my little secret. Since, officially, we all serve Norn. I simply managed to convince the other quaesators that I would be able to find a place that would serve as our base of operations while they are off 'recruiting' the local fauna. I expect them to come by in a few days thought I doubt you would want them to stay here. They might not allow you to be yourself for very long if it doesn't serve their interests."
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Project Icarus]

"Respect is earned." So Urabrask is a Phyrexian of the People. More interested in democracy or anarchy than power. And this sentiment resonates with those who end up following him and ironically providing him with that power anyways.

"They're compleating people by force then? They'll find that backfiring on them very quickly here in the Nexus." Ilpholin drums her fingers on the table. "All the more reason to find you someplace else for your base. I'm already training a battalion, I could not feasibly fit a second or third in here. Fortunately, I have somewhere in mind that could work." Ilpholin points at the map, highlighting the area in question.

"That's Hell's Bend. A host of demons recently moved in despite the city's desire for them not to. They've been making a mockery of me and the law for a short time and I intend to nip their soul eating days in the bud. To remind them that demons are not welcome in Riverside and never will be. Not that I want any of them to be left alive to remember that fact, but there's always one or two that escape. Once the area has been cleansed, it would be fair game to claim the area as your own. I dare say the city may even welcome you with open arms if you were to properly rebuild the spot." Depending on aggressive their compleation schedule gets.
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Project Icarus]

Svartha snorts, sounding terribly amused at Ilpholin's first question. "Now that's a question I never expected to hear. I can tell you've been hanging around Tauron for too long." Svartha gestures back in the direction of her barricades. "So let me ask you a question in turn. Do you think my boys out there were designed with what's-the-word... diplomacy in mind? That they go around promoting phyrexian ideology with those jagged claws of theirs?" She grins. "Since with the exception of our little club, compleation is always done by force and your Tauron is a spineless heretic as opposed to the rule I'm afraid. But I think you managed to figure out the first part already."

Then Svartha turns her attention to the map that Ilpholin is showing her. "Intriguing." She puts her hands together thoughtfully. "Yes, that could work out rather nicely I think." But her gaze then shifts back to Ilpholin. "You do realize that they're going to be compleating the demons that live there, right? Since I can tell you have a beef with them. And while I would prefer giving them a proper cleansing the others are more into that idea of forced recruitment." She looks up at Ilpholin, now trying to evaluate her reactions to what has been said.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Project Icarus]

Well it certainly sounds like all of this will resolve itself very quickly with Vigil... no. No, Ilpholin can't count on Vigil or any of the governments to do the right thing when it comes to brutes and monsters. They don't have it in them to do what needs to be done. Which means things are about to get very messy. "Was Tauron's creator also branded as a heretic then? What happened to her? What was her name again?"

As Svartha mentions the true fate of the demons, Ilpholin half stands, her voice rising and the first real emotion flashing across her face. She is probably more easily read in this moment than any other. "Unacceptable!! Compleation is far too good a fate for those wretches! They don't deserve it!" The nymph hisses, her hair starting to writhe in agitation.
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Project Icarus]

Ilpholin's reaction makes Svartha grin in a maniacal fashion.
"Oh babe, you have no idea how much I've wanted to hear that." She reaches out to affectionately pet one of the goblin-like creatures at her side.
"Since I think it's better if we have these sweethearts blow it all up instead. Making sure there isn't even enough left of those unworthy creatures to make phyrexian toothpicks of. We would need explosives though, enough to make a sun blush."

Regarding the topic of Tauron's creator Svartha is silent though. The mere mentioning of it makes her look uncharacteristically subdued as she looks away for a moment. Perhaps hoping that Ilpholin will forget she even asked the question after her fiery reaction to the potential fate of the demons.