Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

For free floating plots that wish to be separated from specific locales.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Re: Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"Most games I recall were dice games and such. Playing cards were not as common. Of course when I was your age I was spending most of my time with Amarid so I didn't play them very much. But sometimes Kard dragged me into things." Jace explains. Which sounds a bit like a noncommittal answer.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"Dice?" Khannie replies, perking up a little as she pounds another tent stake into place. Just two more left and then she'll have to begin with the annoying part of getting the tent set up. Tent poles flopping everywhere while she tries to get them inserted into little holes. "Like board games? Or table top games? There's a table top gaming club at school but the kids in it are kind of weird. Or do you just mean like... trying to roll higher than other people? Like a gambling thing?"

If it's just a gambling thing that sounds pretty boring.

"What kinda stuff did Kard drag you into?"

Khannie isn't going to stop digging.

She wants exciting back story!

It's a good time for it after all.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"Games with actual boards was pretty rare. They were usually betting games, even if you didn't actually bet money. There were some board games, but they were usually either overly elaborate or were somehow never properly thought out. Like Foxes and Geese. Or Fox and Hounds." "Or Snakes and Foxes."
"For some reason fox-themed board games seem to involve cheating a lot." Jace muses. Those sneaky foxes.
"Kard did try to force me to have a social life. Even if that meant dragging me to taverns when we were both too young to drink for dice games and entertaining his obsession with knife throwing and weaponry."
Of course saying nothing about the fact that Jace himself almost always carries a dagger. A long, single-edged thing with a faint shimmer of magic.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Ugh.

Foxes.

Khannie is absolutely sick of foxes.

Her friends at Inari's are nice and all but Khannie really feels like she could do with fewer foxes in her life. Most notably herself. But whatever. She can live with it. Or not-live with it. Being ghost-type is still confusing as it ever was.

"Foxes totally cheat,"
Khannie agrees as she lays out the tent proper across the tarp. Now she's just gotta wrestle all the tent poles into place, which is easier said than done. Just shove those poles through the top of the tent and lay them out where they're supposed to be first. THEN she'll try actually erecting the thing.

"It sounds like the place where you grew up was boring," Khannie observes as she pulls then tent upright and fastens one pole into its little metal loop before shimmying toward the other side whilst holding on and hoping the dumb thing doesn't pop loose. "No video games or ANYTHING. I guess all the kids just had to play outside?"

Playing outside is cool and all but wouldn't that get kind of dull if that was the ONLY thing to do?
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"Perhaps unsurprisingly, growing up in a country town where working at a store or your parents' tavern were the most exciting vocation options available tended to cause people to try their hand at adventuring if they had any aptitude for it." Jace shrugged. "And well, you know my aptitudes at everything else at the time." Jace had a tendency to blow up nearby glassware as a child.
"We were a few hundred years out from perfecting the gaming experience of the gameboy advance."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"Blowing up glasses at the tavern probably got you in trouble a lot," Khannie reasons as she grabs the non-fastened end of the tent pole and begins bending it to insert it into its socket.

The other end, of course, pops loose while she's doing this.

"Ugh."

Ugh is right.

"I guess I was kinda lucky with how my magic manifested? It's hard blowing stuff up with illusions."

Not impossible.

Just really, really hard.

"What was your first magic flareup like, dad?"

Magical flareup.

Like arcane acne or something.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"Oh it was definitely getting upset and making the glasses explode. It was like that for a few years, to be honest. Ammy helped, but she wasn't around for a while. I wasn't blowing things up on purpose until I was your age." Khannie started a bit before he did. At least for any functional magic.
And speaking of starting, he is wondering how long it will take before she asks for help.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"I wonder why..." Khannie half mutters as a tent pole POING!s free again, much to her consternation. "Like, why our magic is so different. I know where I came from. So why didn't I get all the blasty stuff like you did? Illusions are cool and stuff but REAL fireballs are cooler!"

And cone of cold is even cooler than that!

"But I guess I'm glad I never set the house on fire by accident..."

Once more a pole pops free, drawing a groan from Khannie.

"Can you hold down the other end so it stops coming loose?" Khannie pleads with her dad.
Last edited by Rebonack on Apr 19, 2023 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"Well, you got your familiar before learning any wizardry and your eyes flash blue when you cast so you certainly got my sorcerous nonsense. But I suppose the universe just didn't want you to guess what your spells would be." Jace says with a shrug. Sorcerers are nonsense. A great sorcerer knows that best.
With a nod he steps forward and crouches down so he can hold onto the end of the pole.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Okay NOW they can make some progress!

With Jace holding one end of the tent pole Khannie can actually get the thing in place without the other end of the pole popping lose and mocking her with its diabolical mockery!

"It's still weird. If sorcery is just magic that's in your blood and my blood's just YOUR blood then the magic should be the same, right?"

That makes sense to her, anyway.

"But it's always been illusions. Ever since I first started doing magic and making fake sounds and pretend boxes and stuff," Khannie wonders aloud. "Did your dad do any magic?"

That seems like a reasonable question, right?

What sort of magic could her grandparents do?
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

Arkhosia wrote: Apr 10, 2023 2:07 am
► SHOW SPOILER
[Feline Family Friction]

"Does it look like I'm wearing fucking red and black to you?" The catgirl snaps a withering glance over her shoulder, clearly frustrated. "Or the goddamn bees, for that matter?" The black and yellow of Brightlance, another faction under the umbrella of the Ascendancy. Some corner of her brain had to note some approval for the contempt this kid seemed to have for them - though it was hard to show a sense of proper respect about it when she kept being rankled onto the defensive.

After a moment, Blanche looks to the terminal, thinks for a moment and sighs. "I'm not sure trying to kill me for this means they're dead set on killing the CEO. They could be going for ransom or blackmail, and plenty of folks are very willing to do that when there's a lot of money on the line. Doesn't change the fact that we've gotta stop them though - think you can walk me through this?" Probably not, but it was worth a shot.
[Feline Family Friction]

Elizabeth shriveled into a husk beneath that furious glare. She also noted Blanche's obvious distaste for the faction, though this only confused her. What was she doing in Ascendancy armor then? Was she outright lying to her- an Ascendant who hadn't meant to be caught, pretending to hate them as a defense? That didn't make the most sense to her, given how immediate Blanche's reaction had been. Was the armor stolen, some act of spite against the Ascendancy? "Fine, fine, not Ascendancy, right," she mumbled, before adding under her breath, "Just VIGIL, like that's so much better."

She hoped Blanche was right on that one point. Elizabeth really didn't want to be responsible for yet another death.

Then she decided to really push her luck. "Yeah, no, not unless we have all day. You want that info, take these off and let me do my thing." Pointedly, she held up her arms, the chain of the cuffs clinking.
Bismark wrote:Silence, birb-wench.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Rebonack wrote: Apr 19, 2023 4:45 am [Spring Vacation]

Okay NOW they can make some progress!

With Jace holding one end of the tent pole Khannie can actually get the thing in place without the other end of the pole popping lose and mocking her with its diabolical mockery!

"It's still weird. If sorcery is just magic that's in your blood and my blood's just YOUR blood then the magic should be the same, right?"

That makes sense to her, anyway.

"But it's always been illusions. Ever since I first started doing magic and making fake sounds and pretend boxes and stuff," Khannie wonders aloud. "Did your dad do any magic?"

That seems like a reasonable question, right?

What sort of magic could her grandparents do?
Spring Vacation

Jace doesn't bring up the obvious answer.

Because Khannie was made by pure magical weirdness and frankly it's almost a miracle she has his blood at all. That is to say, blame Fortuna.
"Nope. It seems to have skipped about....six generations at least. Long enough that my parents and grandparents had more or less forgotten about it." he instead says with a shrug.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

That's kind of odd, isn't it?

Being a creation of pure magical shinanagins?

But this is the Nexus, one must recall. There are probably people around who had a genesis far more unusual than Khannie's. Really, she's surprisingly normal and functional in spite of all the nonsense she's been through. And there isn't a day that goes by that she doesn't wonder what it would be like if she had been born the old fashioned way like her friend Brinika.

Of course...

That would be a different person.

That wouldn't be her.

But!

Now that TWO people are working on the tent it won't be long before it's ready to go!

"So one of your great great great great grandparents did lots of magical stuff? Where there any stories about them?"
Khannie asks curiously. She's also eyeing that game building not too far away mostly on account of wanting to see how good at pingpong Zebes is.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

That would have required an actual mom which would also have made the equation significantly more complex. Possibly doubly so!
"Mostly legends of one of our ancestors being a great and powerful wizard. Or something. People seemed to argue about the terminology. And really, being innkeepers for four generations tends to muddle things further, both because it's one of the most normal jobs possible, and people say lots of things in inns and taverns. Worst places to keep a story straight, really."
That is to say, there are probably lots of crazy stories, and maybe one of them tops has any truth to it.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Or at least a mom that isn't also Khannie's dad.

Kangaskhans are weird like that. Every adult comes with a baby for free! That's just how it works for some reason.

But, in the end, it's okay that it's just Khannie and Jace! And Zebes. And probably Veronica too eventually maybe? And then her family. That'll definitely make their family way bigger. Reduce the dog quotient a bit.

"So the super powerful wizard retired and ran an inn?" Khannie asks, finding that idea amusing. That's how lots of stories end, isn't it? Adventurers settle down and do normal stuff. Like starting an inn or a library or growing pumpkins.

Regardless!

She heads off for the game building! As far as arcades go it's about what one would expect from a place that was built decades ago. A dimly built building with a snack machine and a pop-dispenser. Some old arcade cabinets and pinball machines. A pingpong table. And air hockey table. A foosball table. Pretty standard stuff. A pair of goblin children have stacked up several boxes and are really leaning into their game of air hockey. They've got some troubles actually reaching anything but that isn't stopping them from having a blast.

Khannie grins at the sight. She's never been to an actual arcade before. By the time she had made it to the Nexus that form of entertainment had largely gone the way of the way of the mullet.

"Wow," she mutters, looking at a Jumpman cabinet. "These things are SUPER old."

Not quite archeology sort of old but STILL really old.

Maridia, meanwhile, is now trying to figure out how to scramble inside the snack machine. Thus far her status as a somewhat pudgy dragon is thwarting her efforts and thievery.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Veronica's family also has a couple pokemon they rescued along with Commissar. But they aren't dogs at least.
And that's what you get for eating so many waffles you actually managed to gain weight, Maridia. That's not even supposed to be possible for fairy dragons.
"Well yeah. These old campground rec rooms never have anything up to date but that's kind of the-" Zebes' remark is cut off with a squeaky choking sound as Zebes practically grabs Khannie bodily in excitement.
"Khannie they have it. They have the game with the funny name."
Zebes is pointing to the arcade cabinet hidden in the corner.
It does indeed have a funny name.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Honestly that isn't even supposed to be possible for dragons in general.

They aren't supposed to gain weight they're supposed to just get bigger and/or burn off the extra calories as magic.

Maridia has eaten so many sweets that she has managed to break the laws of magic themselves.

"They're like an archeological dig frozen in ti-"

Oh no Khannie is grabbed!

"What?"

What could possibly have gotten Zebes so excited? Khannie eyes the machine in question and frowns.

"...is that a ninja baseball player super-hero team game?" Khannie asks. The answer to that question is pretty obvious, but it is born more out of sheer incredulity than it is out of any desire to have the question actually answer.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"It's a four-player quarter-munching beat em up game that had Bat Man in the title and somehow didn't get sued by DC. A mystery for the ages. I've never seen an actual cabinet. It's PROBABLY a recreation."
Or maybe it's from a universe where it was a huge hit and they made thousands? Who knows?
"I haven't a clue if you'd actually find it fun but gosh is it funny that it's actually here."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"Like Smash Bros?" Khannie asks, peering at the machine.

Smash Bros is a game she knows well, as a pretty dedicated user of Zelda. But in watching the characters shuffling around it becomes pretty quickly clear that-

"Oh. Not like Smash Bros."

Not even a little bit like Smash Bros.

Well.

Maybe a LITTLE bit. People are still hitting each other. But the game play is definitely different.

Watching a bunch of ninja baseball players smacking around pumpkin headed monsters is definitely something.

"Why did you even know this goofy thing existed?"
Khannie asks, utterly baffled by the game.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"Khannie, just say that name out loud. Titles that amazing don't just vanish into the annals of history. They long to be remembered. And said by incredulous people on Nextube who talk about these things." Zebes explains with a sage nod.

That is to say:
Internet.

"So anyway do you want to actually play something?"
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"Ninja Baseball Batman," Khannie utters aloud, almost managing to keep a straight face through the act.

Yeah that gets a bit of a giggle out of her.

"I still wanna see how good Zebes is at pingpong," Khannie says with a bob of her head, moving toward the table. She picks up a paddle of choice and fetches a little ball, ready to go!

Has she ever played pingpong before?

Well...

Yeah.

Actually.

They've got a table at Glog!

Because of COURSE there would be a table at the campground. So she's-!

Not great. But she knows how to play the game.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Playing ping pong reveals a startling discovery!
Zebes isn't actually that great at it.
Like most children, he just likes it without actually having the practice to have gotten good at the game. Especially given that he insists on staying on theme and staying a kobold. He could be a dragonite but his claws aren't great for holding things and he doesn't want to throw the paddle accidentally.

This means that over the next hour, Khannie is going to be winning most of the matches.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Thankfully you don't have to be very good at a game to have fun with it.

Also thankfully the pingpong table is designed so kids can use it. And, by extension, smallish people. Like kobolds! A little harder for goblin children, though. Since goblin children are generally tiny. The pair of siblings DO end up watching the pingpong games, however! And mostly root for Zebes if only because goblins always love an underdog.

Eventually, though, the games must end.

Mostly because Maridia gets stuck in the snack machine and Khannie, with a long suffering sigh, disengages to go pull her familiar free.

"Help, I'm stuck! It was a trap!"

"It wasn't a trap you're just a doof," Khannie corrects the fairy dragon as she yanks on the little chonker.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Zebes gives Khannie a knowing look and moves to hold the snack machine's door open so Khannie pulling Maridia free doesn't damage her delicate wings. Even though they're probably more durable than they look given that they can somehow carry her no less efficiently than when Khannie met her.
"Well, at least I can say that as a dragonite I've never gotten stuck anywhere." Dragonites aren't fat they're just...naturally kind of round.
"I suppose it's time to check back in with Jace anyway."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Fairy dragons are extra magic in an already pretty magic species.

Who needs to explain how her wings work that nonsense is clearly magic.

With a comical pop Khannie finally manages to yank her familiar free, who pouts as the sight of the snack machine quickly receeds as Khannie carries her away.

"Yeah, c'mon. They'll be dinner and marshmallows and stuff! It'll be great."

Maridia is slightly mollified at the promise of marshmallows.

But!

What could dinner be this time? Could it be... hot dogs!? That seems pretty likely, given that they're roasting food over an open campfire unless Jace decided to cheat and bring a gas stove or something.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Don't be silly, Khannie. Jace spent a solid year on the road he doesn't have a STOVE he has THE KNOWLEDGE OF HOW TO COOK OVER A FIRE!
That is to say he brought a pan and an apparatus to hold the pan over the fire. Which does have a grill-like option instead.
Jace is roasting sausages, carrots, and corn over the fire with said pan (not all at the same time), which may or may not have been an intelligent combination but he has managed to not drop or burn any of it.
"Ah. I was wondering where you went off to." he remarks casually.
Ironsmith
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Ironsmith »

Earl of Purple wrote: Apr 15, 2023 5:56 pm Fetchquest
Vanity

The mimic with Mary's current face and colour-reversed clothes is in white, rather than black. There is also not a window, or not one visible with all the mirrors and diaphanous curtains.

"You already are, honey. But we'll help... For a price. What aren't you happy with? Nose, eyes, boobs?" As she speaks, the doppelganger's face changes, still resembling Mary but her nose changes shape, then her eyes change colour, and then her breasts inflate and deflate again. The girl in the swimsuit steps closer and puts an arm around Mary's shoulders.

Greed

The screen only shows the cage the match is taking place in, although there's another screen- far less popular than Boorab's- showing another cage, with a slender leonin fighting a bulkier wolfir.

When asked, the server smiles. "Oh, yes, miss. He's in Wrath. I don't think the bouncers there would let you have a fight, though. Your... nature makes you an unfair fight, I think." Which happens to be one of the rooms the Twi'lek mentioned.
[Fetchquest]

Greed

"Oh." Tahara lets out a little sigh of relief and wipes her forehead free of grease (however temporarily). "Thank goodness. I thought you were about to tell me he was in some distant underground secret fight club or something. 'Just next door' is so much better!" She stands and gives the server a friendly little wave before going to follow up on this information.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Fetchquest
Vanity

The doppelgangers all try to forge a sympathetic link with Mary, using their appearance as the similarity. If successful, Mary might be able to hear their thoughts, which are currently rather bored- this is a job for them, and not a particularly exciting one.
"You want them bigger, or smaller?" The doppelganger speaking adjusts her own size as she speaks, and Mary should find her own bust adjusting at the same time.
"This will cost you, though. We want (lot of money) and it's cheaper than plastic, more immediate, no recovery period and no risk of infection." It's a relatively large amount, not an inconceivable sum for Mary but depending on her allowance- if she gets one- it's months at least of saving.

Greed --> Wrath

Back to the Twi'lek, who will ask for payment before opening the door to Wrath. People who leave aren't always alert enough or healthy enough to pay for the services the room requires.

Of course, if she disperses herself, Tahara can find the door rather easily; behind it is a set of stairs, with the sounds of muffled fighting coming up from below.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"We found a weird arcade game about ninjas hitting pumpkins with baseball bats but mostly we just played pingpong," Khannie reports dutifully. "And Maridia got stuck in the snack machine."
"It was a trap!"
"It wasn't a trap."

Is the coconut with rice in it a trap?

Maybe a trap for one's own greed.

Anywho!

Khannie settles down on a nice handy log to wait for dinner. It looks like they'll have a nice relaxing evening before the big day of exploration tomorrow.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"Uhuh." Jace says in the way that only this kind of situation could create.
The food is actually pretty good, even if Jace clearly didn't bring all the accoutrements he has at home like spices.
And then marshmallows and such can happen afterwards.