Vigil

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Vigil

Post by Morty »

[Courtyard - Dragons and Goblins]

Dipsnig's ears flick. Ambrosia's suggestion doesn't sound bad, certainly. He's still not going to agree to it too readily. It's a bad look.

"Visiting HALO... I might do that. I haven't been there in some time. Perhaps some information can be provided in the spirit of public order. After all, old fey kings running rampant are bad for business."

[In Search of Distraction]

Wenomir smiles (an unusual expression on his face) and starts the exercise. When Ana and Stasia attack, he will move to deflect their attacks without much effort at first. The temporarily twinned girls will know by now that he can move with astounding speed when he wants to, but that's not the point of the exercise.

Instead, he will keep circling away from them, forcing them to coordinate their movements to keep him between them. He will also purposely leave opening in his defences for them to exploit. This will, however, also require them to strike simultaneously and leave one of them open - trusting the other to keep Wenomir tied down so he doesn't exploit it himself.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

Eliseo's cheers and praise bring a warm glow to Ana and Stasia's cheeks, and the latter glances back with a fond smile before the two begin. Things don't start off well - Stasia is timid in her approach until Ana suddenly elects to rush forward, motioning for her to hurry up! And she doesn't wait to get started either, going for a quick thrust from the left that Wenomir should have no trouble parrying as Stasia finally catches up. She goes for a broad upward swing in her rush to make up for lost time, stumbling just a little in the momentum.

[The Battered Shield]

"I-" Blanche stumbles a little at the sudden barrage of remarks and opinions, unable to get a word in edgewise. Oh dear, she was not prepared for this. "Er- I mean I definitely agree, you need to be able to show some serious competency even when your tech can do it for you, but -" There's a pause, and then a sigh. Wait, why is she letting herself get drawn into this! There are more important things to correct here!

"I mean... thanks dad, I appreciate it, but - I kinda didn't really want this to be such a big deal?" She laughs awkwardly, as if there's no other way she can think of to dispel an unseen tension. "This really wasn't something I was ready to start having people recognize me for."
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

Courtyard: D&D
If Ambrosia's been around for years, she would remember it. Does Sekhmet want to bring it up? ... Not really. "Uh, it was about a year and a half ago, a demonic invasion." That's all she'll say about it, but that wasn't a small event, and while Sekhmet didn't personally get prominently involved, Sapphira made it clear she was after Sekhmet when she attacked.

Lizard Worm Birdseye View
"I not seen one," Kothar answers. He's seen many strange things, but nothing like that. "What is it?"
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

Morty wrote: Apr 19, 2023 9:51 pm [Courtyard - Swordsmen]

"We won't turn down help from someone who has already fought him." Wenomir nods. "If I remember right, you're a martial artist with a specialty in spirits?"
"Yes", Hoshiki says, "though given how... colorful the world of spirits around here is, I sometimes feel but an amateur." He gives a quick but meaningful glance at all the demonesses and other weird beings around.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Lizard, Worm, Birdseye View]

"It's an interdimensional structure, with entrances that go out into many different realities. There was some chance you may have encountered it; it would have simplified any further explanation greatly if you have." Khafir stops signing for a moment, stroking her chin thoughtfully. "...No matter. My apologies for having troubled you, sir."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[The Battered Shield]

See, Blanche gets it! She must have been coerced into the commercial somehow. They make you sign those things when no one has the time or eyesight to really read them. Reinholdt must have signed a hundred just this last week, though for what he couldn't say.

There's a pause and a thought. "You know, I can get that. But I know you're extremely talented in what you do - rescuing people and all. So just keep doing that and the tides will change. All the people who are super interested in you right now for your Star qualities will start paying attention to your actual exploits. You'll get more and more people focused on the things that matter to you as they find out how cool you are. There will be those that drop away being only interested in your commercial work, sure. But those are the kind of people you didn't want following you anyways."

"So don't think of it too poorly. Just think of it as an unexpected step in the right direction." The glass is half full, except it's a bowl, and the water is Exposure.
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Morty wrote: Apr 20, 2023 6:29 pm [Courtyard - Dragons and Goblins]

Dipsnig's ears flick. Ambrosia's suggestion doesn't sound bad, certainly. He's still not going to agree to it too readily. It's a bad look.

"Visiting HALO... I might do that. I haven't been there in some time. Perhaps some information can be provided in the spirit of public order. After all, old fey kings running rampant are bad for business."

"Consider it an opportunity to also touch up on old contacts then. It's my understanding that MERC has made a lot of money through services involving spellcraft and metalcraft, no? Well, HALO are tirelessly working on creating technology that all of society can benefit from. They just have a problem getting it out there. Something someone of your talents might be able to help them with." Ambrosia argues, also sensing an opportunity.

Ambrosia is about to ask 'which demonic invasion' when she recalls that the first one happened much earlier. So there was only one event Sekhmet could be speaking of.

"Ah." She remarks, taking a moment to gather her thoughts. Since she hadn't been involved in that but she knew that VIGIL was. Sekhmet didn't seem to want to give her any details but there was a lot of implications there...

"Sorry, I'm just taking a moment to remember. Demonic invasions are not my field even if I've done some studies." She remarks, buying time until she finally remembers. "You're the... new queen then?" Though of a group of completely different demons.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

She's queen of the same group of demons Sapphira led in the invasion.

"Uh, yes." Sekhmet doesn't really act like a queen. She might wear a crown, but she's not comporting herself with much dignity right now.
It's mostly a function of her being terrified of demon hunters.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

The scholar couldn't help but to pauses when she hears the answer, or rather the lack of one. Since it almost sounded like Sekhmet had been forced to come here considering it was a social event so people were expected to, well, talk. Yet her last two answers hadn't even been twenty words when put together.
It had to be the topic of discussion that unnerved her yet Ambrosia wasn't quite sure what else to bring up now that she was on this line of questioning.

Should she bring up how the dragons of her homeworld partly had been made to exterminate demons? It was honestly funny how her mind came up with what was probably the least appropriate topic first.

"...it sounds like you have been forced into it." She finally observes. "Since there was no one else that could bear the mantle wasn't it? I actually remember reading that now." Ambrosia gives the young demon queen before her a sympathetic look. "But you're also have children of your own now don't you? There's always the chance they could bear it once they get older." She's half-joking but in her experience mothers, especially new ones, had a easier time opening up on the topic of children. In particular their own.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

"I love my daughter. And my son, although he's, uh, just a baby, not anywhere near old enough to rule," she takes a deep breath, "I wouldn't want to pass this burden on to them before I have to. Being a queen of demons is not an enjoyable position." Maybe it would be for someone more corrupt. But not for Sekhmet. "I'd rather not talk about it." She mentioned her two kids though. That's probably a better conversation.

Lizard, Worm, Birdseye View
"I tell story now," Kothar responds and goes back to his tale. He's not sure what that diversion was about, but it didn't seem important.
Morty

Post by Morty »

"Smooth, lady Ambrosia." Dipsnig tips his head slightly. "You've slid into a business proposal like a true negotiator. I may indeed visit HALO to see if an arrangement can be reached."

[Courtyard - Swordsmen]

"Martial arts are my specialty as well. Not so much spirits. I used to be a demon-hunter, years ago. But it involved modifications to my body that I've since got rid of." It's odd to think that so many people never knew him as his red-eyed self. "Which, given the dizzying variety of what can constitute a 'demon', could get confusing as well."

Wenomir does indeed parry Ana's strike and thrusts his practice sword towards Stasia, stopping just short of her neck.

"When fighting with a partner, you must be in sync," he instructs. "Same tempo and same steps. Otherwise your enemies can fight you one at a time."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

Stasia pulls back with an "eep!", the swing barely started before she looks down at the sword leveled towards her. Ana looks from her to Wenomir and nods, realizing her mistake. "R-right." It was especially true when your enemy was more skilled too, like her teacher was - numbers were an advantage, but it didn't mean much if there were easy ways for them to pry that advantage apart one by one.

The next attempt goes a little smoother, as does the one after that. Slowly but surely, the two halves find their rhythm, with Ana reining in her impulsiveness to account for her mirror. Things aren't quite perfect though - at one point Stasia knocks Wenomir's blade aside and sets Ana up for a perfect strike, only to realize the width of the swing had sent her backpedaling out of position!

Things reach an apex during their latest attempt, the two of them truly stepping into sync. Stasia lunges forward with a hand around the ricasso for greater control and tries to lock blades, Ana right on her heels with a downward strike -

slim and glittering steel in a terminal arc -

Any potential pressure against Wenomir's sword falters as the paler half goes rigid, heart speared through with ice and knives. Fingers tremble round the hilt before she shakes her head and redoubles her efforts - but in all likelihood, the moment has already passed.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Courtyard - Swordsmen]

"We have a lot in common", Hoshiki notes, "I'm not sure what good your modifications even did. Are such things common? I recall one of ... your guests also had modifications." He's referring to Magtok Prime's withered clone and the implant that was in the clones head.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

"Isn't that the truth? I wouldn't wish the position of leader on my worst enemy." Since then your worst enemy would also be in charge. "But I also have a child actually. He's just a few months old but I imagine yours are a bit older from what I've heard."

"That's quite a compliment coming from you, mister Razortooth." Ambrosia smiles widely. "So thank you. We can no doubt exchange more words once you come for a visit then." That would be considerably more private.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Courtyard - Swordsmen]

"They did give me power, especially against demons - as long as someone counted as a demon for their purposes." Wenomir sighs. He doesn't miss it. "But they also held me back and getting rid of them helped me reach my full potential as a martial artist. A peculiarity of my style, I suppose. But modifications of some form or another are very common around here. Magic, alchemy, technology, enchanted weapons... stranger things."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

"My oldest's 14, and my youngest is 10 months." Sekhmet smiles. This is a much more pleasant topic. "I have pictures here somewhere..." she rummages through her purse and retrieves two wallet-sized photos. The first shows a chubby infant boy, curly-haired, with horns and a tail like Sekhmet's. The second shows a similarly demonic girl dressed in a school uniform. She has a strangely draconic aspect, with black scales covering her wings and in patches on other parts of her body.
Morty

Post by Morty »

It doesn't take Wenomir long to realize that this is more than just a training misstep. He's always observant and becomes more so when fighting or training. His focus on Ana and Stasia's movements lets him read Stasia's distress like an open book.

"Anastasia? What's wrong?"
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Courtyard - Swordsmen]

"Hmmm. My experience - or our experience, back when I was part of a larger group - was much the same as yours. By which I mean, we found the short term gains to be offset by stunted long term growth. Certainly not in all cases, but a great many of them", Hoshiki comments, "but, more pressingly, we found power easily transferred is often easily abused. Especially when it comes to things like spiritual power. I've been thinking of whether the reason why some people, like Prime, go wrong, is because they find some shortcut to great power without having to develop the self-discipline and self-awareness usually required for such feats. Your guest being a particularly unfortunate example, not having even lived a life on their own before having someone else's baggage foisted on them."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

Morty wrote: Apr 23, 2023 4:07 pm [In Search of Distraction]

It doesn't take Wenomir long to realize that this is more than just a training misstep. He's always observant and becomes more so when fighting or training. His focus on Ana and Stasia's movements lets him read Stasia's distress like an open book.

"Anastasia? What's wrong?"

Stasia lowers her sword, shoulders rigid and breath a bit too quick. When Wenomir addresses her, her face goes just a little pale. ”I- nothing! I-I’m fine!” The words pour out almost instantly, as if trying to smother down his concern. “I’m okay, really - just - let us try again!”

Ana watches this from the side after a shiver, an awful sense of dawning realization forming on her face. She tried to hide this if Wenomir looks towards her though, hastily nodding to support her other half.

[The Battered Shield]

”I - yeah, maybe.” It’s hesitant, but not dismissive. “It’s all still just… a lot, knowing I have eyes on me like that. Not, er, something I’m really used to.” Unlike Reinholdt, Blanche has never really been one for panache.

A beat. “…Thank you thought. That… helps, I think.”
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

Eliseo sits up more intent at this. It's really not clear to him what's wrong, but he's ben a bit on high alert since this morning. Given the whole... situation. But he doesn't want to interrupt... but maybe he needs to talk to her (them) after.
~Images by Soushiyo
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

Zefir wrote: Apr 20, 2023 9:03 am [Courtyard]

As Awen takes her breaths to concentrate someone from the side touches her shoulder. It's a beautiful woman in a black dress. It might take Awen a little to notice the obviouse hints that this woman is no human, The backwards curled horns, Scales, the unatural beauty and the comparatively large iris with a vertical pupil.

"Are you alright? Should we call a doctor?"

[Courtyard]

Because she was suddenly touched when she wasn't expected it, Awen jumps from surprise.
She turns, and looks at the woman.
Awen keeps her eyes lowered, not making eye contact. "OH, I...um...w-well, I-I-I..."
She stutters and stammers, then closes her eyes and takes yet another deep breath.

The witch shakes her head. "N-no, I'm fine. No need to call anyone, I just..."
Awen weights the pros and cons of admitting she just needed all that to just psyche herself up into talking with someone. "It's nothing, I'm fine."

She gives a curtsey and decides to just introduce herself. "My name's Awen, and I'm a Vigil member and a witch. Thank you for your concern," she says.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[The Battered Shield]

"Really? Huh..." Reinholdt's never considered such a life, so used to getting askew glances from those looking at him for all the wrong reasons. He kind of envies Blanche's quieter life, but can't imagine actually being able to live it. It'd drive him mad.

"Well, either it'll simmer down or you'll get used to it. Just Hang in There. Did you know Magtok has a poster of me holding onto a tree branch, captioned 'He Has to Fall Eventually'? I haven't fallen off yet. You'll be ok! Well, I gotta get back, 'The Nymphs and the Dryads' are coming on. You can always call me if you need anything. Love you, bye~"
► SHOW SPOILER
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[Courtyard]

"Nice to meet you Witch Awen." she says with a friendly smile offering a hand to shake.
"I am Vutha, Vutha Isk. I'm the accompaniment of master Arkant." He's over there. She points at a tall man in a grey suit who seems to be intressed in Sekhmet and Ambrosia . "He founds Vigil. "
She makes a short pause as if expectin questions, but from her actions so far Awen might be to nervouse to come up with something so she continiues.
"May I ask what you do here? In Vigil I mean not at this festival."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

bc56 wrote: Apr 23, 2023 3:25 pm Courtyard: D&D
"My oldest's 14, and my youngest is 10 months." Sekhmet smiles. This is a much more pleasant topic. "I have pictures here somewhere..." she rummages through her purse and retrieves two wallet-sized photos. The first shows a chubby infant boy, curly-haired, with horns and a tail like Sekhmet's. The second shows a similarly demonic girl dressed in a school uniform. She has a strangely draconic aspect, with black scales covering her wings and in patches on other parts of her body.

"They take after you a lot. Just adorable, both of them." Ambrosia comments with a wide smile as she looks at the pictures.
Then she glances up at Sekhmet. "Whose the father?" A beat. "Or mother?"
bc56

Post by bc56 »

That's an unusual question. Sekhmet honestly finds the frequency with which Nexus children have two mothers confusing. Biology doesn't work that way. Fortunately the answer isn't that complicated. "My husband, Prumathe. He, uh, couldn't make it to the party." Now that he has his own workshop he's much busier than he used to be.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Ironsmith wrote: Apr 15, 2023 5:32 pm [Chemistry with Chef Bacon]

Well.

Eun can't really argue with that. Much as she might want to.

"I, um... okay, then." The scientist exhales, attempting to de-tense her shoulders. Nothing for it; she's stuck at this party, but at least she has Sam.

"If, you, um..." She starts again, before giving up any explanation and just retrieving a monocle from her Hotbox, offering Sam an uncertain smile.
Chemistry with Chef Bacon

"Half an hour, Eun. I promise I won't drag you around too long."
Sam offers to guide Eun across the way. He'll shield her from people with himself if he has to! Though Eun doesn't generally like him getting that close.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Courtyard - Swordsmen]

"Hmm. Yes, I've seen power go to people's heads with depressing frequency here," Wenomir agrees. "The intersection of those who gain power and those who are ready for it is smaller than I'd like. When I was given power, it was without my consent. So I can understand this perspective. It's ironic. I broke laws to become a warrior, but then I was made stronger against my own will..." He shakes his head. "I might be getting philosophical again."

Wenomir frowns. It's clear he's unconvinced.

"You don't look fine, Anastasia. And it's not good idea to push past trauma to train. I've been there. I won't push you to tell me what happened but it's clear something did."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

At the very mention of trauma, Stasia's eyes go wide like saucers, her next breath strangling in her chest. "No! Please - l-let me do drills, give me exercises, I - I just -" Anything to keep her from thinking about everything that happened last night. The very thought of having it ripped away from her stirs nearly as much of a rigid panic as the event itself, tail bristling like she's ready to bolt.

The sudden and panicked flare from Stasia is enough for Ana to jolt in alarm. She drops her sword and springs to her mirror's side. "Stasia - it's okay - you're okay, you're doing alright." One hand moves to rub little circles on the girl's back in an attempt to help pull her out of the terror. She doesn't seem very confident, though - and clearly has her own concerns if a subtle glance back is any indication. The last thing either of them want right now is to make Eliseo worry even more.

[The Battered Shield]

Blanche snorts. "Pfft, that would be just like him." It certainly tracked with everything she's seen and observed about the two of them. And speaking of which... there's a beat. "Y'know, I'm still not sure what to call you two," she admits a little awkwardly... and then even more awkwardly, continues, "Er, I mean - you're technically both my dads now, right?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[The Battered Shield]

It's Reinholdt's turn to be taken aback, uncertain how to reply to that. There's some awkward moments of silence, Carlie's impending soap opera momentarily forgotten. "Well... he's more of... an evil stepdad than anything. I mean, it's, uh, good you're keeping an eye on him for when you inevitably have to bust him and throw away the key, but don't get attached. And don't do anything he says! In fact, it's a safe bet that whatever he suggests, do the complete opposite and you'll come out smelling like roses." Reinholdt stops just short of saying Magtok is a terrible, horrible human that may be the worst scum on the planet... but it definitely crosses his mind.
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

bc56 wrote: Apr 24, 2023 11:31 am Courtyard: D&D
That's an unusual question. Sekhmet honestly finds the frequency with which Nexus children have two mothers confusing. Biology doesn't work that way. Fortunately the answer isn't that complicated. "My husband, Prumathe. He, uh, couldn't make it to the party." Now that he has his own workshop he's much busier than he used to be.

Usually biology has little to do with it.
And it's not always that the two mothers had the child together either.

"Oh, unfortunate. But there's always the next party and I'm sure you get invited to a lot of them." Ambrosia had a feeling Sekhmet would prefer declining such invitations for the most part though. "But your daughter is 14? Time sure flies. Is she going to Prep then? I recognize that uniform."