Inside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Re: Inside

Post by Keeper »

Thursday Violist wrote: May 02, 2023 12:20 am [Cult Clash]

"I have found it strange how many different gods all have the same names here," Zophiel says. It's a weird thought, that two people could be supposedly praying to the same god but it's a completely different one.

He stretches.
"Your church sounds pretty nice," he says.
Zophiel then asks, "Where's one of your church locations? I might have to stop by there to offer a prayer to your Bahamut some time."
Cult Clash

"Oh, it's a few blocks down the road that way, the big one with the shiny round tower built into the side. You ah, might get a few looks since most of the parishioners are scaled folk. But there's no restrictions of course. You'd be welcome to come." G'nichi explains. Zophiel should probably be prepared to see a lot of lizard and dragon people.

Tags:
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

Shadowcaller wrote: Apr 29, 2023 12:33 pm [Hospital Room]

"What about the... child?" Dena inquires as she inclines her head towards Tina. "You don't have him with you."
[Hospital Room]

Tina glances at Kirk, then back to Dena. "He's with Cantie. He's okay." Tina purses her lips. "Were you worried...?"
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

April Foolery
"Shielding yourself is no fun for me,"
The unseen voice complains, but doesn't stop them.
Since Asami is significantly heavier than the sheet, she falls, slowed much more by Nathair's telekinesis than the sheet's antigravity.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Halae »

Wolfbane wrote: Apr 26, 2023 2:00 am Streetside Shrine

"It is no imposition." Miyuu assures, finally giving a (small) smile after all this time. It seems she genuinely does like the company. With that, she stands, resting her hand casually upon her sheathed blade while offering her other hand close to Verity's. She even makes sure to rustle her sleeve to aide the blind woman in finding it should she take it. "Take my hand and I will guide you to the baths first if you prefer. I have spare night clothes, robes, and even hair supplies if you need some. I can guide you and ready it without problems, and I can assure you of the privacy and that anything I see if I assist is entirely held in confidence."
[Streetside Shrine]

Verity considers it for a long moment, before breathing out and nodding, "That'd be very helpful, thank you."

She can absolutely do it all herself, but it'd take much longer, and she's exhausted. A helping hand, especially from someone that isn't judging her for her disability or her power, sounds extremely nice right now.
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

bc56 wrote: May 01, 2023 11:39 am Making Trouble
"We're not..."
"She's a thief. Our orders are to recover what she stole before she hurts herself with it." "This is important. Let us through. Please." Even though she's asking nicely, there's an implicit threat in the black-armored demon's voice. She doesn't want to have to fight Blank, but she will.

Meanwhile, in the bakery, the girl crouches underneath a table, hidden by the tablecloth. She watches the firebird's feet through the narrow gap between cloth and floor. She hopes it doesn't find her.
[Making Trouble]

What little can be seen of Blank's gaze softens for a moment, as he is temporarily taken aback by the perfectly sensible explanation for why two demons were chasing a third through the streets of Inside.

But it hardens again after a moment. "I've only got your word on that, really." He says matter-of-factly as the wolf he's riding growls at the demons. "My associate is tracking her right now. I'm not letting you one pace closer, but if she has something she isn't supposed to... I'll know."

Meanwhile, the bird slowly wanders the bakery, craning its neck to look around various hiding spots. "Miss? Are you in here?" She croons. "Don't be afraid. I'm here to get you someplace safe. It's all right, come on out. I'm not going to hurt you."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

[Hospital Room]

Kirk doesn't speak up again, instead glancing back to Dena to see how she reacts to that.
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Murkus wrote: May 03, 2023 4:21 pm [Hospital Room]

Tina glances at Kirk, then back to Dena. "He's with Cantie. He's okay." Tina purses her lips. "Were you worried...?"
[Hospital Room]

Dena's eyes narrow. "Of course I'm worried. I just spent hours pushing those out through my freaking vagina. The least you can do is not lose them the moment they're handed over to you." She takes a deep breath. "Just... don't ask me about it, okay? I'm not feeling great right now."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Making Trouble
This statement gets suspicious glares from the demon guards. They don't believe that Blank is being genuine, and why would they? One of them begins trying to slowly edge around him, while the other keeps meeting his gaze to try to hold his attention.

Meanwhile, the girl cautiously peeks her head out of her hiding place to examine the firebird more closely. "Why should I trust you?"
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Making Trouble]

The trick with eye contact would probably work on Blank if he was alone. However, the armored wolf notices the demon trying to sneak by and snaps a warning in her direction; not full-on lunging, but chomping at the air between them in a clear indication that yes, he sees her and he will attack if she tries anything.

The firebird tilts her head toward the source of Mary's voice; asking questions like that gives away her hiding place almost immediately. But capitalizing on this information would clearly be counterproductive, so she stops short of Mary's table and continues talking. "I'm not capable of deception unless it is explicitly asked of me." She continues. "My orders are to get you off of the street and to someplace safe. Those parameters do not require me to lie to you.

...And apart from that, I worry for you. You seem like a nice girl. My creator certainly seems to think so. Neither one of us wants to see you get hurt."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Hospital Room]

Tina just blinks at Dena. She is silent for a long minute. Then she starts... giggling. Her long, musical giggles leave her body like stress in vocal form. Her eyes water with small, crystalline tears. "Dena... I can't tell if you're looking for something to be mad at, genuinely concerned, or-- or trying to hide that you're concerned by saying stuff like 'I shat them out'." Her musical laugh quiets into something gentler, and she tries to make it clear she's not laughing at Dena... only laughing. "So I guess it's exactly what it sounded like. Are you worried? Or not?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Hospital Room]

"Of course I'm worried, you think I was here for hours pushing just so you could misplace them the moment they're handed over to you? You weren't even sure if you wanted to keep the baby." Dena grumbles, not being able to maintain her outrage. She was running on fumes here.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Making Trouble
Who said it was Mary? I didn't (But it is Mary).
"Isn't that what you'd say if you wanted to trick me into coming with you?" Even so, she slowly crawls out from under the table. She's pretty sure she can take the bird in a fight if she has to.

Meanwhile, the threatened guard falls back a little and moves into a defensive stance, while the other starts sliding around in the other direction. They're trying to outflank and either slip by or attack Blank, but which?
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by [brackets lover] »

quillpleasant wrote: May 02, 2023 5:33 pm April Foolery

Nathair nods slowly. "Right... well, I guess you have some pretty great nonmagical talents then." Who knows, maybe it's psychic power or something.

"You're right that it's not random. I'm thinking there's something pulling the strings here," he says. It's a shot in the dark, but it seems as likely as anything else.

Nathair watches Asami secure the rope, and as she falls from the window he makes a quick sigil in the air, attempting to telekinetically cushion and slow her fall just enough that she doesn't get hurt.
She lands to the ground with the sheet in hand, holding it down while waiting for Nathair to climb it.

"Yep, I was born with them. Probably what led us to meet like this," she says in response to Nathair's comment on her talents, "Kind of like how Stand-Users are fated to meet other Stand-Users in Jojo's Bizzare Adventure."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

April Foolery

Nathair takes hold of the sheet rope and gives it a tug to make sure it's secure before nimbly going up hand over hand.

As he climbs he calls down "I've not heard of this Jojo or his adventures, but fate does like to throw people together when the situation calls for it. We all have a part to play, after all." Upon reaching the top, he leans down. "Are you fancying a climb too or should I levitate you again?"
horses can attack and eat me
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

Keeper wrote: May 02, 2023 6:42 pm Cult Clash

"Oh, it's a few blocks down the road that way, the big one with the shiny round tower built into the side. You ah, might get a few looks since most of the parishioners are scaled folk. But there's no restrictions of course. You'd be welcome to come." G'nichi explains. Zophiel should probably be prepared to see a lot of lizard and dragon people.

[Cult Clash]

The paladin Zophiel nods to show that he's listening. And he mentally makes a map of where he should find it. "It's true, I don't have scales," he says.

Zophiel thinks.
Maybe if G'nichi isn't busy, he could show him the way? That would make it much simpler to find. But, then again, he might be busy or doing something else in this area.
Best check to find out.
"What were you doing around here?" he asks. "Where were you headed?"
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

Shadowcaller wrote: May 04, 2023 5:55 pm [Hospital Room]

"Of course I'm worried, you think I was here for hours pushing just so you could misplace them the moment they're handed over to you? You weren't even sure if you wanted to keep the baby." Dena grumbles, not being able to maintain her outrage. She was running on fumes here.
[Hospital Room]

"Well, I know what I'm doing now. But I thought you didn't want anything to do with them," Fettina says. She smiles. "And that's fine. If it's still true. But I'd really like it if you wanted to spend time with the little guy too. You know. Even just as 'auntie Dena'." She giggles again.

After a minute to consider, Tina will try to lean forward and hug Miss Xifhara. Bending beside the bed to do it. She'll gently whisper, "All the rough stuff's over now, honey. You did so good. Now you're all done. You can be yourself again." She knows these last few months have been pretty hard on her friend.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Making Trouble]

Until blows start being exchanged, there's no way for Blank to tell. It seems likely that they would try to slip past; fighting him will take time and energy, and the more of it is spent here, the farther away their quarry slips in the meantime.

But it may be better to hedge his bets on that one.

Blank reaches into his sleeve and draws out a card flicking it out past his gaze so he knows which it is before deploying it.

"Soul's Echo: Black Thorn Dryad!"

The card goes sailing down the alleyway, landing a bit farther away before bursting into flame, from which rises what is either a woman-shaped plant or a plant-like woman. She's covered in vines and briars, including a thorn-covered tendril in her left hand that she cracks like a whip as she stares down the demons. Her feet are rooted to the spot, which may seem helpful at first, but already those roots are growing outward, forming the beginnings of a patch of dense undergrowth that will further frustrate any travel.

In the bakery, the firebird gives a conciliatory nod. "That is true." She admits. "But fortunately, also quite irrelevant. If you would?" She turns to the side and raises one of her wings, indicating she intends for Mary to mount her... apparently, her fiery nature does not strike her as a significant impediment to this plan.

Regardless, she also takes a moment to ask a few other salient questions. The first of them being "What is your name, little one?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Murkus wrote: May 06, 2023 4:35 am [Hospital Room]

"Well, I know what I'm doing now. But I thought you didn't want anything to do with them," Fettina says. She smiles. "And that's fine. If it's still true. But I'd really like it if you wanted to spend time with the little guy too. You know. Even just as 'auntie Dena'." She giggles again.

After a minute to consider, Tina will try to lean forward and hug Miss Xifhara. Bending beside the bed to do it. She'll gently whisper, "All the rough stuff's over now, honey. You did so good. Now you're all done. You can be yourself again." She knows these last few months have been pretty hard on her friend.
[Hospital Room]

The moment Tina suggests spending time with the child, going as far as calling her 'auntie', the next words that come out of Dena's mouth are more than a little forceful. "No." A beat. "I don't want to spend any time with him." She stares at Tina. A stare which not long ago could have killed someone. "You need to respect that, alright?"
bc56

Post by bc56 »

April Foolery
With Nathair at the entrance, now all that's left is for Asami to find a way back up, and then they can return to exploring.

Making Trouble
Mary doesn't see the fire as an issue either. She's completely fireproof; she even bathes in molten lava (Nothing cleans off skin parasites nearly so well as incinerating heat). "Mary." She climbs on. Now she's sure the bird isn't with her pursuers - they know who she is.
Meanwhile, the guards keep trying to move past without attacking outright, but they're increasingly impeded.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

quillpleasant wrote: May 05, 2023 5:08 pm April Foolery

Nathair takes hold of the sheet rope and gives it a tug to make sure it's secure before nimbly going up hand over hand.

As he climbs he calls down "I've not heard of this Jojo or his adventures, but fate does like to throw people together when the situation calls for it. We all have a part to play, after all." Upon reaching the top, he leans down. "Are you fancying a climb too or should I levitate you again?"
Asami awkwardly chuckles, "Ah, no, its not one person, its like..." she starts climbing the sheet as she begins to absent-mindedly spewing a deluge of information at Nathair, "'Jojo's Bizzare Adventure' is just the name of a franchise of books, anime and video games I really like. 'Jojo' is just a nickname given to the main character of a part because they have two 'jo' sounds in their full name. And stands are, like, entities that are manifestations of the users' soul and they're, like, influenced by the user's personality. Like this one stand, 「Green Day」, which spreads a mold that destroys the flesh of living organisms when they lower in altitude, because of its user's mordbid curiousity."

Finally, Asami gets to the top as well, which would've taken a lot less time if she wasn't talking all the while.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

April Foolery

Nathair listens as Asami explains Jojo's to them without interruption, smiling faintly. They only reply once she's safely in the house.
"That sounds splendid. I like the bit with the mold, it's creepy. Perhaps I'll have to give it a watch sometime." They clap their hands and turn into the house. "For now though, let's figure out what's in the house. Hopefully it'll shine some light on what's going on in this neighborhood."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

bc56 wrote: May 06, 2023 7:14 pm April Foolery
With Nathair at the entrance, now all that's left is for Asami to find a way back up, and then they can return to exploring.

Making Trouble
Mary doesn't see the fire as an issue either. She's completely fireproof; she even bathes in molten lava (Nothing cleans off skin parasites nearly so well as incinerating heat). "Mary." She climbs on. Now she's sure the bird isn't with her pursuers - they know who she is.
Meanwhile, the guards keep trying to move past without attacking outright, but they're increasingly impeded.
[Making Trouble]

The bird buckles a bit under Mary's weight (apparently, being made of fire, it isn't as physically strong as it looks like it should be), but makes its way to the door anyway and takes off into the air, gaining altitude at a slow and steady pace.

"My job will be done as soon as we're somewhere your captors cannot reach you." The firebird notes as she crests the bakery. "And though it was not a part of my orders, I intend to signal my creator as to our location before I go. Is there anything else I should tell him before you meet?"

Blank urges his wolf toward the nearest of the pursuing demons, lunging forward in a flurry of snapping jaws and flashing teeth. The dryad turns her attention to the other one, cracking her whip and causing a thorny growth to shoot out of the ground and attempt to shove and pin them to the wall, cutting off any further progress.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

April Foolery
Now that no one's holding the sheet down, it turns around to hang up into the air, fortunately still pinned in place enough to not fall away.
The first room of the house is, as mentioned before, the kitchen. It's a very normal-looking kitchen, except for how everything is upside down. Nothing seems unusual, but maybe the upside-down cupboards or upside-down refrigerator are hiding some dark secret?
There are doors out of the kitchen leading to the upside-down living room and the upside-down bathroom, and there's a trapdoor leading down to the upside-down attic.

Making Trouble
"Um, no?" Mary doesn't know enough to know what her mysterious benefactor needs to know.

Meanwhile, the instant they're attacked, the guards drop into combat-ready stances. Their mancatchers transform into wicked, barbed polearms - better to defend against lethal force. The one attacked by the dryad is knocked off balance but manages to avoid being pinned down, but the other one manages to raise his polearm in time to aim it at the charging wolf's throat. Following through with the attack could be painful, even deadly.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Thursday Violist wrote: May 06, 2023 3:47 am [Cult Clash]

The paladin Zophiel nods to show that he's listening. And he mentally makes a map of where he should find it. "It's true, I don't have scales," he says.

Zophiel thinks.
Maybe if G'nichi isn't busy, he could show him the way? That would make it much simpler to find. But, then again, he might be busy or doing something else in this area.
Best check to find out.
"What were you doing around here?" he asks. "Where were you headed?"
Cult Clash

"Oh, I was just visiting a cafe. I wasn't really up to anything. Doing what I do doesn't really have a set schedule."
G'nichi has managed to live fairly comfortably without a day job given that his house was handed to him for free and adventuring tends to have enough payout to pay for food.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

bc56 wrote: May 09, 2023 3:49 am Making Trouble
"Um, no?" Mary doesn't know enough to know what her mysterious benefactor needs to know.

Meanwhile, the instant they're attacked, the guards drop into combat-ready stances. Their mancatchers transform into wicked, barbed polearms - better to defend against lethal force. The one attacked by the dryad is knocked off balance but manages to avoid being pinned down, but the other one manages to raise his polearm in time to aim it at the charging wolf's throat. Following through with the attack could be painful, even deadly.
[Making Trouble]

"Very well, then. Off we go." The bird soars off over the town, moving with a much higher horizontal speed than vertical. It shouldn't take very long to get farther away than one would be able to walk in a reasonable amount of time.

Meanwhile, on the ground, Blank lands flat on his hindquarters as the wolf disintegrates into a pile of ash; despite appearances, it does not seem to be especially tough, and the singular attack was all it took to dispatch it.

The dryad, meanwhile, turns her attention to the scuffle and cracks her whip, aiming to seperate the soldier from his weapon. Behind Blank, a set of thorned tendrils emerge from the undergrowth, wrapping around him and jerking him back with a startled yelp.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Making Trouble
In the air, they ride. Nothing will happen there until they get to their stop.
On the ground, the demon seems surprised with how quickly the wolf died, but can definitely take advantage of that, charging at the dryad, along with the other demon who has gotten back to her feet and takes a swipe at the leafy foe with her polearm. The whip strike connects with the charging guard's weapon, but he maintains his grip, stopping his charge and wrestling the dryad for control of the weapon.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

bc56 wrote: May 09, 2023 3:49 am April Foolery
Now that no one's holding the sheet down, it turns around to hang up into the air, fortunately still pinned in place enough to not fall away.
The first room of the house is, as mentioned before, the kitchen. It's a very normal-looking kitchen, except for how everything is upside down. Nothing seems unusual, but maybe the upside-down cupboards or upside-down refrigerator are hiding some dark secret?
There are doors out of the kitchen leading to the upside-down living room and the upside-down bathroom, and there's a trapdoor leading down to the upside-down attic.

Making Trouble

quillpleasant wrote: May 08, 2023 12:37 am April Foolery

Nathair listens as Asami explains Jojo's to them without interruption, smiling faintly. They only reply once she's safely in the house.
"That sounds splendid. I like the bit with the mold, it's creepy. Perhaps I'll have to give it a watch sometime." They clap their hands and turn into the house. "For now though, let's figure out what's in the house. Hopefully it'll shine some light on what's going on in this neighborhood."
"Yeah..." Asami muttered, rubbing one of her arms with the opposite hand. Her eyes darted around the room, avoiding Nathair. Now maintaining a startlingly silence, she meekly wandered over towards the living room, her expression seemingly less worried the further she got from Nathair, "I'll check over here, I guess."
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

Keeper wrote: May 10, 2023 1:03 pm Cult Clash

"Oh, I was just visiting a cafe. I wasn't really up to anything. Doing what I do doesn't really have a set schedule."
G'nichi has managed to live fairly comfortably without a day job given that his house was handed to him for free and adventuring tends to have enough payout to pay for food.

[Cult Clash]

"Huh, interesting," Zophiel says. "I wasn't particularly doing anything either, so I might as well visit that temple today."

Zophiel wishes he was better at conversing. Then he would know what to say next.
"What is it you do, anyway?" Since G'nichi mentioned that.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

April Foolery

Sensing that Asami is more comfortable alone, Nathair is content to split up. After all, nothing has strictly been dangerous here so far, with the possible exception of the meteor shower.

But as far as figuring out what's going on here, the best policy is to leave no stone unturned, starting with the kitchen. Nathair begins opening every cupboard, the fridge, the stove if there is one, and checking to see if anything unusual can be found.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

bc56 wrote: May 11, 2023 10:37 pm Making Trouble
In the air, they ride. Nothing will happen there until they get to their stop.
On the ground, the demon seems surprised with how quickly the wolf died, but can definitely take advantage of that, charging at the dryad, along with the other demon who has gotten back to her feet and takes a swipe at the leafy foe with her polearm. The whip strike connects with the charging guard's weapon, but he maintains his grip, stopping his charge and wrestling the dryad for control of the weapon.
[Making Trouble]

The guard is caught in a brief tug-of-war as the dryad wrestles for the weapon, only for her to get cleaved across the back by the other guard. As she disintegrates into ash, the dryad drops the whip and flips both guards a rude gesture.

The undergrowth, however, is unaffected. It's evidently designed to persist after the dryad's demise, presumably exactly so it can continue to be an impediment. There's rustling in it as Blank starts toward the other end of the alley, crawling along as quickly as he can.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,