Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

For free floating plots that wish to be separated from specific locales.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Re: Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Jace is on vacation. He is in no rush and is more than welcome to deal with the havoc dragons' eccentricities.
"...technically? I wasn't exactly compelled to do any evil deeds.

...you can ask your other questions at once if you like. I can keep track."

okay he might be willing to speed things up a little.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"But... but what if your answer to one of the questions makes want to ask a different question instead!" Lefty laments. He's apparently the wiser of the two havoc dragons. Maybe. "But but oh yeah oh that's a good answer it isn't yes or no but that's okay! So you were an eeeevil color but you didn't feel evil and maybe umm..."

The dragon cranes his long, snakey neck down to peer at Jace from a couple different angles.

"Oh hm hm hm! You're sure wearing lots of BLUE! Did you get turned into a BLUE dragon?" Lefty asks.

Khannie had heard a little about the time Zebes got turned into a human and Jace got turned into a pocket dragon. She's pretty sure it would have been really funny to witness. It was something that had to do with Fortuna, right?
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Jace gives the dragon in the fancy headdress a coy look. He's enjoying himself.
"You're halfway there. I was a blue dragon but I wasn't a Blue dragon. You're not quite being specific enough."
Much like havoc dragons are purple but they aren't Purple dragons. Of course this is technically still a correct answer.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"WHAT!? A blue dragon that isn't a blue dragon? Umm... um! Was it a sapphire dragon?" Lefty attempts.

Oh he knows the psionic gem dragons! That's very clever but also very wrong. But it was a good guess, right?

"What kind of dragon were you?" Righty asks Khannie.
"That's not a yes or no question don't answer that!" Lefty pleads.

"I was a faewild dragon. I guess they're kinda like fairy dragons and havoc dragons sorta? But my neck wasn't super long," Khannie reports.

"Nooooo!"
"My neck isn't long it's a perfectly pretty length for a neck to be."
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

Fetchquest
Vanity

"Gross..." Mary makes a face while stepping over the unconscious doppelgängers. "She's downstairs in the greed room." That's where she was when they parted ways. It happens to be where they are now. "Get ready to subdue the receptionist if we need to." Mary slowly opens the door to the ground floor and steps out into the reception area.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Jace continued to grin, enjoying messing with them perhaps a little more than he should.
But perhaps Jace likes several things especially much. Like birds of prey, his daughter, and friendly dragons.
”No. You’re running through your questions quickly. You asked what if my answers changed your questions before, which makes four questions total. Three left!”
He chimes cheerily. He wouldn’t really hold them to that but it might be amusing to remind them.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Lefty gives a little eep when he realizes that he wasted several of his questions! Or a big eep, rather. Both dragons are easily twice the weight of the ugallu our heroes met earlier and Rumble wasn't exactly a small ladylionbird. The dragon considers carefully. Carefully! If he just keeps guessing sorts of dragons that are blue he's going to run out of guesses! And while this would have literally no consequences of any kind it WOULD mean that he lost the game and that just isn't going to happen.

He can think of four more types of dragons that are blue. Or CAN be blue. Two are very large and two are teeny tiny.

"Was it a BIG dragon?" he inquires.

"How come you stopped being a faewild dragon?" Righty inquires of Khannie. "They have such pretty wings and sparkles! The only thing better than sparkly wings are FIREWORKS!"

"Well... it was sorta this prank that a not so nice trickster played on me," Khannie admits. "It boggled me all up so I thought I was ALWAYS a dragon. I still remember the fake past stuff sorta. It's weird."

"Oooh that sounds mean but also kind of funny," Righty admits. "Was it a protean? That sounds like the sort of thing they might do!"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"No again." replies Jace, still in high spirits.

"It was someone from our world. Like a protean but mostly just trying to have fun for herself. She can be a bit insensitive about how her fun affects other people." Zebes explains. Though he is aware that Fortuna is actually very fond of Khannie, and would (at least from her own insistence) avoid causing Khannie serious harm with her pranks.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Okay.

Okay!

So he was a sort of small blue dragon! And the only sorts of small blue dragons Lefty knows about are blue pocket dragons and blue fairy dragons. He's pretty sure the fairy dragon there is the smaller human's friend but the pocket dragon is the older human's friend. So maybe...?

Lefty takes a deep breath, stands up straight and tall, and proclaims with GREAT certainty that, "You were a BLUE pocket dragon!"

Surely that must be the answer, right?

"So not really nice but not SUPER meanbad, either," Righty replies with a knowing nod. "Well everyone here is nice! And all of OUR pranks are fun for everyone! Yep yep we havoc dragons never Ever EVER get in trouble for pranking too hard!"

That is absolutely a lie.

Khannie eyes the dragon skeptically. "So what was it you had to say for losing the laughing game, anyway?"

Which makes Lefty get all self-concsous all of a sudden. "Oh, uh," she replies, glancing around as if looking for some random object to use as an excuse to flee.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"That's correct." Jace says, giving the havoc dragon a nice golf clap.
"You know we never got your names. But yes, it appears you have won both games. I am curious as to what this mysterious thing to say was.
Also we would like to be let inside when all this is done."

He's not sure if the havoc dragons were actually meant to bar their entry at all. This might have just been a diversion before heading inside.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"I guess it! I'm the best guesser!" Lefty cheers, doing a little happy dance with his front paws. "Oh right names! I'm Aeshnaclepsydra who is best at winning and that's Trithemisannulata who had better SAY THE THING now!"

Trith makes a sputtery noise with her mouth and goes, "Fiiiiine I'll saying it."

She takes a deep breath and begins waggling her butt around as she dances in a little circle whilst singing.

"Ooooh Aeshy's the best at games doo hoo, Ashey's the best at games woah low! He's the coolest he's the smartest he's got the most glittery wings! Oooh woaaah Ashy's the bestest at aaaaall the thiiiiiinngs!" she sings, ending by pointing her nose toward the sky and unleashing her breath weapon, a great big blastwave of LOUD SOUNDS and BRIGHT SPARKLES AND POPS!

Ashey bobs his head along to the song and smiles down at our heroes. "Oh! Right! We're supposed to be guarding the door. Did you get a puzzle box?"

Khannie holds up the box in question.

"Yep that's a box alright! You can head on in!" Trith says, eager once again to address something other than her friend besting her in games AGAIN.

Wow.

That sure was an encounter, wasn't it?
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"Thank you, Cousins! Have fun guarding the door!" Zebes waves a paw as they head inside.
"By the way, how many tiles are in the box now, Khannie? We used two to open the portal. How many left might tell us how many trials to expect inside."
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

Arkhosia wrote: Apr 25, 2023 3:08 am
► SHOW SPOILER
[Feline Family Friction]

"Yeah," Blanche answers with another lancing glance back, "It is." As if the statement is a conclusive end to the debate. She scowls down at the chain between Liz's hands more than the girl herself while she considers the request - but in truth, she'd already figured her conclusion before Liz even answered.

A pause and a sigh later, Blanche kneels down in front of Liz - earning another wince at the wound by her hip - and begins to unlock one of the bindings. She doesn't undo it fully, though - instead, she loops around a second pair and chains Liz's left to her own right, keeping her under lock and key while giving her some range to move. "There, kid. Enough of a compromise?"
[Feline Family Friction]

Elizabeth scowls back, although with probably less effect than the other scowling catgirl in the room. Blanche has a much more intimidating presence than this scrawny hacker to accompany the expression.

She bit her tongue to stop herself from making another barbed remark towards her captors occupation- at least waiting till the cuffs were off seemed a better move. Unfortunately, she didn't quite get her wish. She thought she would, at first, rather surprised as Blanche knelt down with the key. But then with a click, she found herself bound to the soldier, and her scowl deepened. "Yeah, as if." This might even be worse, actually. At least with both her hands cuffed she still might have been able to leg it, given enough of an opportunity. Or pick them free when Blanche wasn't looking. Now, that avenue was cut off- and to boot, she felt a lot less confident in firing off scathing remarks now that she was literally chained to the target. Also, what was it with the 'kid' comments!

Scowling for a moment more at the cuff on her arm, Elizabeth finally conceded, letting out a long and overdrawn sigh. "Alright, fine. Let's get this over with. What do you want me to do- just nab the same data I did for them?"
Bismark wrote:Silence, birb-wench.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"You're welcome!"
"Have fun with the puzzles!"

And off our heroes go once again. At her father's question Khannie digs through the box again. "Umm... I've got another twenty two of 'em in here? If each puzzle thingy only uses two then that's eleven more puzzles? But I'll bet some of the puzzles will take more tiles than just two of them. That first puzzle was REALLY easy. I think it was just there to teach the rules."

So.

Into the pyramid they go!

The interior is, as it happens, just as beautiful as the outside. Gold, gems, fountains, and lush indoor gardens dominate the interior of the pyramid. Along the walls scenes are depicted that appear to show a hero's journey and her great exploits against the forces of the Abyss and many other foes. A large central chamber leads off in all four compass points, a huge glowing aquamarine pedestal in the middle with crystal conduits leading to mountings for four octahedral gems surrounding it. None of the gems appear to be present at the moment. Leading away from the central chamber is an open archway to the south, the western stairs our heroes came up, a sealed door to the east, and BIG sealed door to the north.

-A pair of yazatas with great feathered wings and snake tails in place of legs are reclining in a raised garden playing sweet music that fills the room with a sense of eager anticipation for some dawning wonder.
-There are three mortals, too. A human and a dwarf. The appear to be talking to SOMEONE in a robe that's wearing a featureless white mask and holding their arms above their head in a circle-shape with the fingers touching. Our heroes can't really make out the conversation from here, but it sounds like the pair are trying to convince the masked person of something.
-A DEEPLY conspicuous looking sign has been set up near an ornate treasure box, just begging to be examined.
-There's a buffet table of sorts near one of the pools, laden with all manner of delectable looking foods. A very contemplative looking yazata with the head of a lion, the body and arms of a man, and the feet and wings of an eagle in Osirian garb appears to be VERY seriously considering whether he wants to try the lamb, the chicken, the beef, or the roasted boar. Sometimes freedom is hard when you have so many good choices.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

True to his nature, Zebes immediately trots over to go examine the chest and the sign. As long as they're in the same room the group can split up a little.
"I would assume we need to go through the side doors and power up the device to open the big one." Jace whispers to Khannie.
But why guess when you can just ask? Jace doesn't want to interrupt the musicians so he goes to ask the fellow at the buffet.
"Hello, sir. My daughter and I just got here. Are there any rules we should know? I assume the challenge is to get through the big doors." he asks the hungry yazata.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

The sign reads, quite simply, This Chest is a Mimic.

The chest in question is making quiet snoring noises. Apparently the mimic is asleep? Do mimics even sleep?

"Ha, avast and forsooth!"

Apparently not. But it wasn't the CHEST that spoke. It was the sign!

"Bet I tricked you, huh? Thought I was the box! I got you good," the not actually a sign says. "You must be a visitor! The regulars don't fall for the tricks of me and my knightly mates anymore. Usually! But sometimes we really pull one over on 'em, haha! Yar har huzzah! This place is great though, it's fulla all sorts of chests and urns and boxes and things chalk to the brim with baubles! Great place for a mimic pirate-knight to hang out between adventures. Hey you can look in the box if you want. It ain't another mimic you can trust me."

Meanwhile!

Khannie and Jace approach the buffet table! And Khannie hangs onto Maridia to prevent her from diving headlong into a large crystal bowl of chocolate pudding. The ugallu gives a nod to our heroes. "This is Elysium, friends. We're a bit light on rules here. So long as your heart is pure and your deeds heroic you're welcome here! But you're right, there's a puzzle to getting the big door open. You need to find the four keystones here on the ground floor and in the basement. That will open the way to the pyramid's middle level."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Mimics sleep if you throw the right item at them.
"Hmmmm." Zebes hums, wiggling his claws and opening up the box with a mage hand.
"My Other says we need keystones to get to the final challenge. Seen any? Also what is a pirate-knight? Do you like, protect the honor of nautical thievery?"

Meanwhile!

"So we need to search this place and the two doorways beyond for four stones. Simple enough premise. Thank you."
Jace might snag a little piece of roast boar for the trip. Yeah they just ate but how often do you get celestial food?
"Well Khannie, where should we search first? You're the invitation holder so you can take the lead."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

The other box is opened! It doesn't contain a sticky tongue and teeth. Turns out the sign mimic WAS telling the truth! Inside is a collection of various baubles. Pretty brass trinkets. A hand-mirror. A very colorful feather. A lump of pretty green jade. A few little statues carved from various soft materials. A toy horse and cart pair that probably represent the sun and moon chariot twins. Those last ones aren't really the right cosmology since EVERYONE knows that the sun is rolled across the sky by a celestial beetle.

Or something.

"Oh, all the trinkets and stuff are free for taking as souvenirs. They're all just spiritual copies or something of the offerings Lady Eudaemonia gets from mortal folk on the material planes. Y'know how it is with sacrifices. She's got gobs of 'em and wants people who come here to remember her goodness and generaosity," the mimic says. "The keystones? Well, they're around you know? Every time someone solves their way through the pyramid all the keystones get gathered up and hid somewhere new. I'm pretty sure there's one in the entry hall here somewhere. I think it either got dumped in one of the pools or squirreled away in a potted plant."

But then a VERY important question!

"Oh yeah, right! Me and my noble mates were all pirate-knights! We couldn't decide whether we wanted to be pirates or knights so we just sorta split the difference and did both. The real BIG mimics like Steve would be the ships and the rest of us regular sized mimics would turn inta suits of armor and ride around on horses or into cannons or what have you. 'course since our ships were mimics they could walk around on land, too! Haha yar har! Mostly we just went around doin' valorous deeds and singing shanties since we weren't totally canny one what it was pirates and knights were supposed to do."

Sounds like quite the adventure.

Meanwhile!

Khannie hums thoughtfully, looking at the open archway nearby leading to another portion of the pyramid, then to the room they're in now. "There might be stuff hidden in the room here since this whole place is like one of those escape room puzzle things. Maybe we should ask those guys over there if they've found anything yet?"

She points at the trio of mortals nearby.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Zebes plucks the feather for later. No sense in not taking a souvenir.
"That sounds pretty kick-ass. Well, thanks. I'll go check the pools. You've been really-"
One more thing occurs to Zebes that no one has mentioned before.
"...say, what happens when you actually get through everything? We've just been doing this for funsies but there's probably something at the end right? Do you get a cool t-shirt?"
I Solved the Pyramid of Eudaemonia and All I Got Was This T-Shirt!

Meanwhile!

"Zebes says one of the locals thinks they might have hid a stone in one of the pools or flowerpots."
Jace leans over to examine a nearby potted fern. Jace and Zebes' telepathy is one reason they tend to split up when searching places.
"We should probably ask. If they already have one of the stones we will likely have to ask if we have to share a set or wait for them to finish."
now that would sure be annoying.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Who doesn't like colorful irridecent feathers, anyway? No one worth mentioning, that's who.

"It was really kickass! One time we disguised ourselves as a village and ambushed some roving brigands. They never saw it coming," the mimic boasts. "You want to know what's at the peak of the pyramid, huh? Haha, that's a surprise! A good surprise, though. Not an evil surprise like getting chomped by an evil mimic when you were expecting a chest full of loot."

Not the answer Zebes was after, but still an answer.

Meanwhile!

Jace checks in one of the plants. There's no keystone in it, but the soil is decorated with glowing pastel orbs about the size of a keystone. None of them are that tell tale aquamarine color, though it would be easy to hide a keystone among the orbs. There's a potted palm tree over there. And some potted bird of paradise flowers, too. Finally there's a sad, wilty looking potted sunflower over there with a small flock of ethereal aquamarine butterflies flitting around it. The neglected flower looks woefully out of place.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"That's what I thought you'd say." Zebes grins a pointy-toothed dragon grin.
"Well, thanks. I better go check those pools."
The pocket dragon goes prancing away, passing by the garden with the snake-yazatas.
"Please don't mind me ladies just checking around for the keystone." he assures them quietly. He's not one to interrupt a musician either.

Meanwhile!

Well regardless of if it's hiding a keystone that sunflower is just looking sad. Jace picks up a glass of water from the banquet table and goes over to the sunflower. He'll check the pot for the keystone, but will empty the glass of water into the pot either way.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Well, the pair of yazatas aren't singing. So talking and playing their stringed instruments at the same time is definitely a possibility. "They're the color of the water that flows through the pyramid," one of them helpfully informs Zebes. They share a look at each other, followed by a melodious laugh. For whatever reason they find Zebes to be entertaining.

Meanwhile!

While Jace is tending to plants Khannie is off chatting with the trio nearby. Or mostly just the duo. The guy in the robe isn't doing much talking.

Jace waters the flower! Almost immediately as its parched soil is nourished it perks up, the ethereal butterflies flitting around it congregating above its open face and melding into each other with a musical tone! Left by their passing is a keystone, hovering just above the flower.

Khannie comes over shortly there after. "The two guys said they're just here talking to the cultists of the old demon lord this place used to belong to. I guess they came with the place? There are still some of 'em around but they're mostly harmless. Those guys are trying to convince the cultist that she isn't nothing."

Clearly the cultist isn't nothing.

It would be hard to carry on a conversation if that were true.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Zebes turns to look at the yazatas giggling at him. That's a pretty normal reaction to Zebes.
Zebes is a little distracted by the lillends and their almost nonexistent outfits. Not because he's distracted by pretty ladies like lots of dragons, but because he isn't. He knows he's not SUPPOSED to look at certain places which makes his easily distracted brain WANT to look there because he's not SUPPOSED to. Stupid ADHD brain.

"I am pretty hilarious, but usually people laugh after I say something funny on purpose. Something up?" Zebes asks as he peers into the nearest pool. He probably won't be able to see anything if it's the same color as the water. Though Jace informs him that he just found a keystone. So that might be mission accomplished on this floor.

"Well, we have one keystone." Jace says, taking it from its place.
"I think that means we have to find the other three on the main floor and basement, through those two doors."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Earl of Purple wrote: May 04, 2023 1:08 pm Fetchquest
Greed

Fortunately, the goblin was sent to distract Tahara long enough for the fights to progress further than she witnessed in Wrath, so the lack of card games and instead the endless chatter works well enough for his aims. The goblin has not been to Long Falls, and seems very interested in finding out more about the town, even as his eyes glaze over slightly. He'll not interrupt at all, but after for ten minutes or so, when the bosses notice he's not doing anything to make money and Tahara's opportunity to disrupt their efforts has passed, he'll rather rudely just turn and walk away, giving Tahara a moment to look at the sword slung over the back and perhaps notice the stylised M embossed in its scabbard.
[Fetchquest]

It takes a lot more self-control than it should for Tahara to not mutter "jackpot" on seeing the sword. The circumstances are just too appropriate, but she can't give away her intentions just yet.

"Hey, mister!" Tahara calls out as the goblin starts to leave. "Where did you get that? I've been trying to find a good birthday present for my sister, and a weapon like that is right up her alley. Think you could point me to the smith who made it?"
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"You're just so small and adorable; it's delightful," one of the lillends replies. Apparently they're just experiencing joy at the presence of such a wonderful little creature.

Then Zebes inspects a pool! There water is really pretty, for sure. And it has a very slight luminous quality to it. It's like built in mood lighting! There don't appear to be any keystones in there, but there ARE some really colorful fish. They mouth at the water when Zebes approaches in anticipation of treats.

Meanwhile!

Khannie gives a nod. "Yeah, and now we know that they might be hidden in weird or magical ways. Do you think maybe we'll just need to keep an eye out for those glowing butterflies?"

Maybe!

But then again, this IS a realm of good-natured whimsy. Expecting all the hints to be the same or to follow any sort of order might be the wrong assumption.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Fetchquest
Vanity

"Well, she better not be gambling. You go first, make sure the way's clear." Mat follows Mary, since she also doesn't know her way around. She does ready her catapult and another acorn, however, just in case she needs it again.

Greed

"Sorry, miss. Can't help you there. This was a gift, in exchange for forgiving a debt of a thousand gold. From my understanding, it's some kind'a family heirloom anyway. Whoever made it is long dead." The goblin grins toothily at Tahara. "I'd be willing to part with it, but it's worth a thousand gold t'me. And worth more to the idiot what named it collateral. So I'll sell it t' you for two thousand, or something worth as much, since I could probably get that guy to gimme three to get it back... if he ever drags himself out of his hole." Which does at least confirm the acorn-pommelled sword with the 'M' on it is likely Mat's, though buying it does seem unlikely.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

”Yeah, that’s fair. You have a great day.”

Zebes rejoins the group as Jace considers.
”Maybe! I doubt they will make it that easy though. We’ll find out in five minutes though. I’m thinking left first.”
Jace says, pointing to the open archway. They could maybe unseal the small door with the keystone they have but if they have to go to both anyway it doesn’t make sense to sequence break.
Off they go!
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Fetchquest
Vanity -> Reception
Mary steps out of the Vanity door and greets the twilek again. "Hi. I'd like to go to to the Greed room now." This is the first person she's encountered since her "changes," not counting Mat who didn't seem to notice. She's a little worried about the reaction. She's also worried because she's not sure she can sneak Mat by.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Okay!

Time to head through the first doorway!

On the other side is a rather impressive room decorated with an impressive array of urns! And pots! And big jars! Of all types and styles from countless different civilizations. Like the mimic had said, people give offerings to Eudaemonia and those offerings appear here. At least in some spiritual sense. The ACTUAL offerings are probably still sitting on some shrine on some material plane somewhere. Sort of like how summoning a creature doesn't actually summon the creature while gating it in DOES. Either way, the urns are all very pretty. Our heroes will spy a half-elf in a green tunic eye the pots, sweat running down his forehead, fingers twitching at the hilt of his sheathed sword. It's pretty clear he's doing his best to resist an impulse to smash some jars.

Aside from the displayed jars, there are a pair of sealed doors to the east and west with no obvious means of opening them and another open doorway further south.

Khannie squints at the half-elf. Something about that guy is REALLY familiar.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Zebes gives Khannie a knowing look.
”We might have to find a switch in that other room that will open the doors here.” Jace suggests.
”Or there will be a switch hidden in one of the urns. And a second switch in an adjacent urn that has to be pressed too but without checking a wrong urn. Hate that.” That’s…oddly specific.
Jace will check one of the pots. If there’s nothing interesting inside they should probably check out the southern room and see if there’s a puzzle there to open the doors.