Inside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Re: Inside

Post by Murkus »

Shadowcaller wrote: May 06, 2023 5:52 pm [Hospital Room]

The moment Tina suggests spending time with the child, going as far as calling her 'auntie', the next words that come out of Dena's mouth are more than a little forceful. "No." A beat. "I don't want to spend any time with him." She stares at Tina. A stare which not long ago could have killed someone. "You need to respect that, alright?"
[Hospital Room]

"Then-" Fettina leans back. She spreads her hands in a sudden, helpless gesture. "Then dammit, Dena, why do you even care? If you're so damn adamant about this. Guess what? He's gonna be around me. A lot. You'll have to see him when you come over, when I come into MERC. If you want to spend time with me you'll have to spend time with the kid just by proxy. You can ask me to respect whatever you want, but do you even understand how this is going to be?"

Tags:
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Thursday Violist wrote: May 12, 2023 5:35 am [Cult Clash]

"Huh, interesting," Zophiel says. "I wasn't particularly doing anything either, so I might as well visit that temple today."

Zophiel wishes he was better at conversing. Then he would know what to say next.
"What is it you do, anyway?" Since G'nichi mentioned that.
Cult Clash

"Oh. I'm a paladin." G'nichi says with the utmost of pride, standing so straight when he says it that ot almost seems like he might salute.
"So I go around righting wrongs and questing and other grand and righteous things."
Not directly doing things for Bahamut, though. He's not one of the particularly talky gods.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

Making Trouble
The guards ignore Blank and run in the direction Mary went, barreling through the conjured undergrowth as best they're able.
They're likely to spot the firebird and its passenger if nothing is done to slow them, and they'll pursue on foot.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

[Hospital Room]

Kirk breathes out a sigh. He doesn't feel that much different than Dena, if less strongly, but he didn't need Fettina to point out this reality to him. It's just a complication that can't really be overcome in any way he can see.

Definitely not inserting himself into this exchange, though. He's wiser than that.
~Images by Soushiyo
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

Arkham Street Manor

The silent, foggy streets of Arkham are as desolate as ever. Despite Lia's appreciation for the abandoned and decaying, there's something about this place that bothers her just a little. Perhaps its the stink of fish rolling in from the harbor, or the prickling sensation of being watched. Regardless, it's not enough to stop the mushroom girl from striding determinedly up towards the crumbling manor.

Ignoring the dried up gardens and leaning fence, Lia walks up the steps, pausing before the imposing door itself. The last time she came here wasn't all that long ago, and yet it still feels like so much has happened since then. Of course, she was in a different body then, having rejuvenated since. And now she actually has a purpose, instead of blindly following the whims of another.

Looking around to see if Michalson is still behind her, Lia turns to the door, takes a breath, then knocks sharply on it. Hopefully the occupant is home, but somehow that thought also fills her with trepidation. He was quite intimidating from what little she saw before.
horses can attack and eat me
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

Keeper wrote: May 15, 2023 6:49 pm Cult Clash

"Oh. I'm a paladin." G'nichi says with the utmost of pride, standing so straight when he says it that ot almost seems like he might salute.
"So I go around righting wrongs and questing and other grand and righteous things."
Not directly doing things for Bahamut, though. He's not one of the particularly talky gods.

[Cult Clash]

"Ah!" Zophiel says. "I'm one too." What a coincidence!

Zophiel straightens out.
"Glad to hear of more people doing those things."

He pauses, and thinks, then - with a little bit of embarrassment - Zophiel admits, "Well, the truth is that I haven't really done much 'righting wrongs' or other grand things recently,"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Gullara wrote: May 16, 2023 3:25 am [Hospital Room]

Kirk breathes out a sigh. He doesn't feel that much different than Dena, if less strongly, but he didn't need Fettina to point out this reality to him. It's just a complication that can't really be overcome in any way he can see.

Definitely not inserting himself into this exchange, though. He's wiser than that.
Murkus wrote: May 15, 2023 9:16 am [Hospital Room]

"Then-" Fettina leans back. She spreads her hands in a sudden, helpless gesture. "Then dammit, Dena, why do you even care? If you're so damn adamant about this. Guess what? He's gonna be around me. A lot. You'll have to see him when you come over, when I come into MERC. If you want to spend time with me you'll have to spend time with the kid just by proxy. You can ask me to respect whatever you want, but do you even understand how this is going to be?"
[Hospital Room]

"Yes." Dena's reply is extremely subdued compared to what she said earlier and the other two can see her wiping away a tear.
"Just don't make me hold him or anything like that. You understand?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Thursday Violist wrote: May 16, 2023 10:25 pm [Cult Clash]

"Ah!" Zophiel says. "I'm one too." What a coincidence!

Zophiel straightens out.
"Glad to hear of more people doing those things."

He pauses, and thinks, then - with a little bit of embarrassment - Zophiel admits, "Well, the truth is that I haven't really done much 'righting wrongs' or other grand things recently,"
Cult Clash

"Well, if you hang around me long enough it'll happen eventually. I'm cursed with a constantly 'interesting' life. Which really means that I should wear my armor more often but I admit sometimes I just really don't want to, you know?"
G'nichi shakes his head.
"I should really get some that appears instantly."
As a fellow paladin Zophiel probably knows plenty about armor.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

Shadowcaller wrote: May 17, 2023 3:57 am [Hospital Room]

"Yes." Dena's reply is extremely subdued compared to what she said earlier and the other two can see her wiping away a tear.
"Just don't make me hold him or anything like that. You understand?"
[Hospital Room]

The tear is enough to waylay any rising frustration Tina had been feeling. She kneels down by the bed if Dena seems alright with it. "Oh, Dena, of course not. Whatever you want. Whatever makes you the most comfortable."

She'll try and hug the gorgon then, if she allows. Resting her head on Dena's arm. And then after a minute opening one eye to wave Kirk over, like 'get in here, mook'.
Morty
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Arkham Street Manor]

Michalson, of course, feels right at home. In the Hive of Sigil, such environment would be considered fairly upper-class. The walls aren't even visibly tilted.

"We're in my jurisdiction now. So I'll have to be careful."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

April Foolery
Nathair searches through the kitchen. The items in the pantry look... Strange. Every item is in a stark white package with its name written on it in a nondescript bold font.
Soup, Crackers, Peanut Butter and more sit upside down on the shelves.
In the fridge, all the food looks... Strange as well, but in a different way. Everything is too large and the wrong color. Purple chicken legs, ears of bright red corn, green oranges, and more are piled up inside.

Meanwhile, Asami moves into the living room. The furniture here is also all upside down, except one thing. The remote for the TV lies on the ceiling, having apparently fallen off a coffee table.
There are two other doors out of the room, one slightly ajar and leading to a bedroom, and the other closed tightly.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

bc56 wrote: May 15, 2023 11:11 pm Making Trouble
The guards ignore Blank and run in the direction Mary went, barreling through the conjured undergrowth as best they're able.
They're likely to spot the firebird and its passenger if nothing is done to slow them, and they'll pursue on foot.
[Making Trouble]

Unfortunately for them, "as best they're able" is, by design, not very well. The thorns and vines snag at them every chance they get, seeming to be trying to drag them both back the way they came, or possibly into the ground, whichever is simpler.

Blank, meanwhile, is still in the undergrowth and frantically crawling away to avoid being trampled by the guards themselves.

cronch!

"Gah!" Blank calls out as his hand is caught underfoot.

Dammit.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Arkham Street Manor]

Lia and Michalson are up late. So late, it might already be early. Not that it ever seems to make much of a difference in the misty gloom of Arkham Street.

Luckily for them, they turn out to be just in time: the owner returned from Seaside to rest, and has yet to go back to resume training his new apprentice. A few moments after Lia's knock, she can hear the floor creak and heavy footsteps approach the door. Then it is opened, and a massive man fills the door frame. He takes a moment to recognize the mushroom girl, given she's of different color than before.

"Ah, it's you", Senshi Hoshiki notes dryly. He peers past Lia to see if there's someone with her this time around. His gaze stops at Michalson. "And... you? I saw you at the tavern, right? I'm sorry, I don't remember your name. What brings you to my humble house?" It would be less humble, if he'd gotten around to fixing it.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Making Trouble
The armor helps significantly against thorns, but not against tangling vines.
But getting stepped on is going to change the situation. Not only does the metal-clad boot hurt (and probably break many of the bones in Blank's hand), it reminds the guards that he's there, and only seconds later there's the blade of a polearm at his throat. "Dispel this. NOW!"
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Arkham Street Manor

Lia, who doesn't really need to sleep, is untroubled by the late hour and probably wouldn't have even considered that the master of the house might be asleep. But luckily he's not, and so she puts on her best smile.

"Hello again, sorry for my rudeness in running away last time. I'm here to collect the armor I dropped off, and also to petition you to call off this duel. I have a variety of arguments and reasons that I think will be sufficient to convince you that this is a bad idea for everyone involved." She nods smartly, showing nothing but complete confidence in her fairly dubious claim.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Streets

An abandoned doll is here. It's a ragdoll, with a large floppy head. Its body is made of white linen, with a mismatched pair of buttons (one navy blue, the other black) serving as eyes and rough stitching marking a large grin. It's wearing a simple sleeveless dress of coarse burlap, and the back of its head has a scrap of purple fur stitched to it so serve as hair. Somebody's left it on a crate next to a soft velvet bag and a brass dagger.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Making Trouble]

Blank has to bite his lip, hard, to avoid screaming out in pain as his bones shuffle around in his hand, making it quite clear that they are very broken.

And then there's the polearm.

Blank stares up at the guard standing over him, the look in his eyes quite clearly somewhere between agony and exasperation. "...Y... you know, I'd (ach!) love to, but... that (nnph!) that was my dispelling hand..." He manages to snark, internally quite proud of himself for managing to retain that presence of mind.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Arkham Street Manor]

"My name is Michalson Barring. Detective of the Intersection, but here in an unofficial capacity." Best establish that quickly. "I'm also 'ere to talk about this fight you're plannin' to have."
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by [brackets lover] »

bc56 wrote: May 18, 2023 8:14 pm April Foolery
Nathair searches through the kitchen. The items in the pantry look... Strange. Every item is in a stark white package with its name written on it in a nondescript bold font.
In the fridge, all the food looks... Strange as well, but in a different way. Everything is too large and the wrong color. Purple chicken legs, ears of bright red corn, green oranges, and more are piled up inside.

Meanwhile, Asami moves into the living room. The furniture here is also all upside down, except one thing. The remote for the TV lies on the ceiling, having apparently fallen off a coffee table.
There are two other doors out of the room, one slightly ajar and leading to a bedroom, and the other closed tightly.
Asami stared on at the TV remote, raising an eyebrow. She then noticed the ajar door and gulped, inching towards it slowly and quietly. She'd press herself against the wall and carefully peer through the gap, utilizing her keen sense of hearing as well to detect if anything was happening in the room first. The general set-up overall just left her feeling suspicious and wary.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Keeper wrote: May 18, 2023 3:42 am Cult Clash

"Well, if you hang around me long enough it'll happen eventually. I'm cursed with a constantly 'interesting' life. Which really means that I should wear my armor more often but I admit sometimes I just really don't want to, you know?"
G'nichi shakes his head.
"I should really get some that appears instantly."
As a fellow paladin Zophiel probably knows plenty about armor.

[Cult Clash]

Honestly, in spite of being a paladin, Zophiel doesn't know that much about armor.
He never wears it.
And he claims it's because it wouldn't fit anyway.

"I've never really had armor," he says, "but armor that can appear and disappear instantly does sound really handy. You'd need some interesting magic on it, but it sounds doable."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Making Trouble
The guard looks unamused. "Fine." The polearm begins to slice into Blank's throat...

Then stops. The guard seems to listen to something. "Lucky bastard. The mistress wants you taken alive for interrogation. Up!" The polearm transforms back into a mancatcher, to ensure Blank isn't too comfortable.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Making Trouble]

How is that lucky? Blank thinks to himself as he's hauled to his feet. If the guard had slit his throat and left him for dead, he'd be getting up an hour later, perfectly fine. Instead, he's being dragged off by a pair of fearsome demons, probably to talk to their equally-fearsome mistress, who can probably do much more violently creative things to him than just kill him. Especially if she catches onto the fact that he's a strigoi.

Yeah, not lucky in the slightest.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Arkham Street Manor]

Hoshiki looks at the beaming mushroom girl with a stone face. "Well, you can have the armor. I put it in the garden shed. You can get to the backyard through the kitchen door." He moves aside and gestures for Lia to get in and walk to the right. He then turns to Michalson. "What concern is it to you? I take it, if it was illegal, you'd be here in official capacity", he asks, puzzled. "Did the girl drag you into this?" He nods towards Lia.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Arkham Street Manor

"Right, I'll go get that then!" says Lia with a nod, sweeping past Hoshiki into the house.

She heads towards the shed, but as soon as she's out of sight she dusts some spores into the corners here and there, the tiny gray motes all but invisible to the naked eye until they grow. Then she looks for the armor he spoke of.

-
bc56 wrote: May 18, 2023 8:14 pm April Foolery
Nathair looks puzzled at the strangely branded food. "Reminds me of Canada," he muses. The multicolored perishables get little more than a bemused glance. Clearly just more of the surreal strangeness of this place. Although...

He stuffs one of the green oranges into his jacket pocket before closing the fridge. Who knows when that could come in handy. Then he heads over towards the attic trapdoor and attempts to open it.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Earl of Purple wrote: May 19, 2023 4:46 pm Streets

An abandoned doll is here. It's a ragdoll, with a large floppy head. Its body is made of white linen, with a mismatched pair of buttons (one navy blue, the other black) serving as eyes and rough stitching marking a large grin. It's wearing a simple sleeveless dress of coarse burlap, and the back of its head has a scrap of purple fur stitched to it so serve as hair. Somebody's left it on a crate next to a soft velvet bag and a brass dagger.
[Streets]

One of the hapless people who stumbles upon this is named June. White trousers, purple shirt, a subtly beautiful face (not the kind that you'd stop to gawk at, but more like if someone thinks back about her, they'd think 'oh yeah i guess she looked nice'), very short red hair. And her breathing is very controlled, as if every breath is intentional.

While walking down the street, she spots the lonely doll.
Fearing some child lost their doll, she crouches by it. "Hey, are you lost?" she asks the doll.

Not expecting the doll to answer her (it's just a doll, after all), she picks it up and looks for some kind of name written or stitched onto the back.
At the same time, she recognizes that the velvet bag may be a purse, so it might have an ID or address in it. So, with her other hand she tries opening the bag to see if she can identify whose it is.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Streets- Doll, June Result: 9

It's not much of a purse, if the bag is a purse. It's a small drawstring bag, and opening it reveals no sign of money or identification documents. Instead, it contains a collection of human teeth, mostly molars.

The doll is picked up! There's no name stitched into it, or other identifying marks besides its face, at least not visible outside its clothing. If June undressed it, she may find something. In the meantime, however, so long as the doll is in her possession she cannot get drunk or otherwise intoxicated, she's immune to all poisons and toxins, and she has no need to breathe. Although the way her breath is already controlled suggests that part of the effect is not useful anyway. The effect only works so long as the doll is physically in her possession; if she puts it down, the effect will stop working, but it doesn't need to be physically touching her to work. She could keep it in a pocket, a bag, or even a personal extra-dimensional space, and so long as she has it. If it leaves her possession, please let me know.

Morty

Post by Morty »

[Arkham Street Manor]

"No, I only just met her." How does he tell this basher why he's here without revealing Bunny's identity? Spin some outrageous bob like a true Cager? Or just omit things? "There's someone who's worried you're going to write Sandels into the dead-book and they'd rather you didn't. And I'm helpin' them because I'm a soft-hearted berk."
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Arkham Street Manor]

There's a door in the kitchen that leads to the backyard, it's not hard to find. The garden is a bit overgrown due to lack of care. The armor is stashed in a decripit, vine-covered shed, along with aged and rusty gardening tools; the door is mercifully unlocked. The armor has not gotten any lighter, so Lia might have some trouble carrying it, but there's a recently fixed wooden wheelbarrow leaning to the outside of the shed.

Back at the front door, Hoshiki frowns. "Hrmph. I don't recall agreeing our fight would be to the death, but I don't recall agreeing the oppisite, either. May I ask, if not the girl, who is it that's worried of that no-good's life?"
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Earl of Purple wrote: May 20, 2023 4:16 pm Streets- Doll, June Result: 9

It's not much of a purse, if the bag is a purse. It's a small drawstring bag, and opening it reveals no sign of money or identification documents. Instead, it contains a collection of human teeth, mostly molars.

The doll is picked up! There's no name stitched into it, or other identifying marks besides its face, at least not visible outside its clothing. If June undressed it, she may find something. In the meantime, however, so long as the doll is in her possession she cannot get drunk or otherwise intoxicated, she's immune to all poisons and toxins, and she has no need to breathe. Although the way her breath is already controlled suggests that part of the effect is not useful anyway. The effect only works so long as the doll is physically in her possession; if she puts it down, the effect will stop working, but it doesn't need to be physically touching her to work. She could keep it in a pocket, a bag, or even a personal extra-dimensional space, and so long as she has it. If it leaves her possession, please let me know.

[Streets - Doll, June]

June drops the 'purse' in surprise.

A bag full of teeth is very unsettling!

She looks around, trying to see if anyone's watching. Did someone put the teeth here as some kind of trap? What about the dagger? And what's the doll got to do with it? she wonders.

Since it's not immediately obvious who's behind this, June turns and puts her back to a wall, so she can get a better look around while she's looking at the doll. She's gotten this far! Might as well find to whom the doll belongs to, if she can.

As a matter of fact, she would ordinarily need to breath. The reason her breathing was intentional and well-controlled actually has nothing to do with 'pretending to breathe' and instead everything to do with 'focusing so hard on her breathing is pretty much the only way she can block out the cacophony of sensory assault that makes her notice every single thing nearby, even up to and including every smell, thought, feeling, light, written word, insect, gust of wind, ghost, sound, what's inside, what's under, ...everything nearby' to the point where she easily gets a headache when in a public place like this and becomes unable to focus on anything. (Also, she frequently gets to the point where she can't tell the difference between what's a ghost and what's real, which can get understandably annoying sometimes.)

Actually, on that note, before finishing investigating the doll, she decides to take advantage of this sensory overload 'ability' just because - between the teeth and the dagger - she's not ruling out this being some kind of elaborate trap.

So.
June stops focusing on her breathing and holds her breath.
A cacophony of everything assaults her senses, and she tries quite hard to see if anyone is watching or waiting for her, like it's a trap. On the roof? Down the alley? Hiding over there by the street cart? ? ? ? ?
Normally, at this point, June would've felt the need to start breathing again.
But she doesn't feel that need, for some reason.
And so she keeps on searching for much longer than she intended.
And still doesn't need to breathe for some reason.

Eventually, though, she gets satisfied enough with checking for a trap, and decides to investigate the doll a bit more.

Of course, she realizes that if someone's name or address is stitched into the doll, it wouldn't be on the clothes. Instead, it would be on the body of the doll, so she starts checking under the burlap as much as she can, to see if she can find anything.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Streets- Doll, June

The teeth are spilt! They just skitter across the floor and clack and rattle.

The doll is watching June. Beyond that, nothing really springs out- a passing medusa is looking at everything, which includes June, with her serpentine hair. She's also got a cloth wrapped around her eyes, so the snakes are in fact navigating for her.

Under the dress, there's no name or labels on the doll. Although it does, for some reason, have a navel. It also feels as though it's stuffed with hair.