Apocalypse Junction

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Apocalypse Junction

Post by Earl of Purple »

Ruined Motorway, Gantry Camp

"Might be you'll make it today, if you hurry and the road is kind. Don't trust that, though. This place is dangerous, especially at night. Find shelter before sundown, don't stray far from the road, and hope you find bikers if you stay the night. The Road Pirates are good people." Nick might disagree with that assessment; the Road Pirates are involved in quite a bit of petty criminality, including drugs, gunrunning, theft, mugging, and smuggling. Mary nods her head, accepting the strange man's advice.
"There's a moped up there, too. I turned the engine off, but... we won't both fit on it and it's a little stuck by cars. The bubble in the air popped, with the wing of a fighter plane in it, so there's more fire damage up there as well. None of the bubbles near the fires had popped when we left, though." Mary doesn't know if this guy can use a moped, but perhaps the bikers he mentions will have a use for it.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.

Tags:
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Ruined Motorway, Gantry Camp

"Thanks for the directions." Nick tells him with a wave. And he means it. The road pirates are people he wouldn't get along with, but are better than the irradiated zombies around for sure.
"If you see another vehicle you should just take it. I can move at lot faster than you think." Nick tells her as they presumably start to head out.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Ruined Motorway- Gantry Camp

"No worries. Gotta look out for each other out here." Which might raise the question of why he lives out here and doesn't move to Inside or Riverside.

Once they're a distance away, Mary remarks. "I wouldn't have necessarily told him about the supplies. He's going to go get them now, no matter what. Although... Anyone else in a bubble might be hungry if they missed breakfast, but I think he's in more danger of actual starvation." She frowns at that. "Why didn't you mention that sooner? I could've been on the moped." There's still a fair few vehicles they pass, but most don't appear to be in working condition.

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Ruined Motorway - Gantry Camp

"Because it's from magic, and I didn't think you'd believe me. You almost bludgeoned me when I first said hello to you, after all." Nick shrugs, deciding that he probably should tell her that he was that griffin sooner or later.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Ruined Motorway- Leaving Gantry Camp

"You're that... bird thing? I'm sorry, It's... well, things were weird, and I thought you were one of the aliens. I'd not seen one or heard of anyone seeing one, so I didn't know what to expect." The last thing she remembers was being stuck in traffic after a spear slammed into her car's engine; then fractions of a second later all the cars around her are rusted out wrecks, all the people are gone, and there's a giant bird looking through her passenger side window. It was very startling.

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Ruined Motorway - Leaving Gantry Camp

"Griffin." Nick corrects, shifting into that shape. It's a very quick process with a faint shimmer.
"It's fine. I knew it would be bad to bombard you with new things so soon. But you should get used to it before we get to the city." He pulls off his helmet, hooking it onto his gear so Mary can look at him properly. His feathery ears wiggle, free of the hat.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Ruined Motorway- Leaving Gantry Camp

"I thought griffins were a type of dog?" That's a Griffon Bruxellois, Mary. Not a lion/eagle. "So the city's very odd, I take it. How far away is it?" A bit of a trickier question to answer, especially given that Nick flew and the motorway- whilst relatively stable- does tend to change.

It should also be getting dark now, though fortunately ahead there's a ruin by the side of the motorway that looks reasonably intact. A tall fence has fallen over, and beyond it is a small housing development. There's five houses; two are burnt-out wrecks, nothing but a brick shell remaining. One has been boarded up, a warning spraypainted on the side of the house- ZOMBEES DONUT ENTER in faded red paint, a silver car parked directly in front of the main door, so close it's buckled the rear bumper. Despite being the only vehicle in the small estate, it's not working- the tyres have been slashed, it's got wedges under the front wheels and the fuel cap's been popped open. The penultimate house has had a large picture window on the front smashed, a tattered old towel over the bottom of the window frame to protect the looters from glass injury. The final house has its front door open, sparing its windows, and the front is covered in ivy crawling up and over the brickwork, the windows, and into the doorway.

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Ruined Motorway

"Nope, catbird. City should only be one day out. But I get if you don't want to walk at night. Not usually a good idea. We should check one of those last two. They've clearly been looted, but the looters are probably long gone."
Still, Nick puts his helmet back on and draws his revolver as he approaches the final house. The door is open, so they could theoretically close and lock it if they stay the night.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Ruined Motorway

"I'm up for walking the distance physically, but... All I got for self-defence is a lacrosse stick. And that house has a sign about zombies on it. I don't have a gun and I've never used one, so I don't really want one, not since we'll be somewhere safe soon. I want to spend the night here, because I would feel safer." It might not actually be safer- the darkness would hide them far easier than it would hide a horde of zombies, for example- but it's still a more defensible position than where ever they are when/if trouble finds them.

The door can theoretically be closed and locked, it even has a key in the door- which is plastic, faded and bleached by the sun, but not rotting or decayed- but... the ivy up the facade has also crept inside, and there's thick vines over the door frame, some between the frame and the door. It could all be cleared away, but it'd be quite a bit of work. The front door opens into a hallway with a staircase to the left, and there's doors to the right and at the far end, as well as a door leading into a space under the staircase. Mary's going to follow Nick inside, putting the supplies she's carrying down just inside the front door and gripping her lacrosse stick in both hands. "House like this... upstairs there's bedrooms, probably a bathroom. Under the stairs there's a toilet, that door's the living room and at the far end is the kitchen. Toilet's going to be too cramped for us to spend the night, it'll just have a loo and a sink in there, and a low ceiling because of the stairs."

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Ruined Motorway

"We'll check the kitchen for a knife you can take. Check the first level first."

Nick starts going through the building room by room, his revolver at the ready. If he wasn't already wearing a military uniform, the system of his sweep would probably give it away. This building seems made for humans, so he regretfully shifts back into his human shape so he doesn't have to reach for the doorknobs. He'll start with the close door and then the toilet, then the far door. He's not expecting to find much in the bathroom but you never know what could be hiding in there.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Ruined Motorway- Deserted Houses

In the lounge, there's a large window, covered in ivy and letting in the fading light with a green tinge. There's a rug, a mounting on the wall where a flatscreen television once hung, and a sofa in the middle of the room so it would have been looking at the TV. Lying on the sofa is a blood-stained sleeping bag that has been wrapped with silver duct tape. There's also a small cabinet with detached cables draped over it and a few DVD cases.

In the toilet, it really isn't a bathroom. There's nowhere near enough space for a bath- or a shower, even. Just a toilet tucked under an overhang from the stairs overhead and a sink opposite, just inside the door. There's a half-empty bottle of liquid soap on the sink and a cracked mirror over the sink. It's a tiny room.

Mary will stay by the door, glancing out behind them. She might have a better idea of the house's layout than Nick, but she's also nowhere near as experienced in searching for threats and trouble in houses so she's keeping an eye out for issues coming in from the motorway or elsewhere.

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Ruined Motorway - Deserted Houses

Nick is going to trust his nose on this one - if there was a corpse in that sleeping bag they'd definitely smell it. Still, best not traumatize Mary by checking. He closes that door just to be safe.

Nick goes to check the kitchen next. Though he stops to pull out his phone to let a few people know where he is. Maybe he can just send for a car and get picked up in a few hours...
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Ruined Motorway- Deserted Houses

The lounge smells dry and musty, and the sleeping bag has been very well-wrapped. Earl was in a rush and neglected all the senses.

The kitchen has a cracked window looking out into the garden, showing a deflated paddling pool and a collapsed wooden shed amongst the long, weed-choked grass and overgrown hedge. The space is partitioned in two, an actual kitchen and a bit of a laundry room. The kitchen part has a cooker, standing fridge, counters with cupboards and drawers underneat, and a dishwasher. Most of the counters and drawers are open, with broken crockery and glasses scattered across the floor. The other part of the room has a door straight outside, a chest freezer, a washing machine and tumble dryer, with a load of old clothes scattered across the floor from the spilled laundry basket.

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Nick makes a quick check to see if there are any sharp pointy objects they can let Mary borrow without too much risk of her stabbing something she shouldn't stab.
And they better check the fridge though anything in there has definitely spoiled...

Nick's phone blares back. A little screen folds out, and Mary will be able to see what appears to be a very large hippo in a rather strange robe-like uniform in what appears to be a car if she looks over Nick's shoulder.
"I got your message, Commissioner. I'm already on my way."
"What, already? I sent it five seconds a-"
"Thoth, Commissioner Richards."
"Right. Future-sight...thing. Okay. Couple hours out?"
"Two/three, tops."
"Are you ah, okay with a late night drive home?" Nick asks to Mary.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Ruined Moterway- Deserted Houses

Not in any of the drawers, or on the floor. If Nick thinks to look in the dishwasher, however, he'll find a clean kitchen knife with a blade made from some strange ceramic. Mary will accept the cosmic knife if it's offered, though she also won't recognise the material. There's intact plates and stuff in there too, as well as standard cutlery. Mary's not looking over Nick's shoulder, as she's staying in the front doorway keeping an eye out on... mostly the zombie house, but anything else zombies or something else might appear from. "Yeah, I'm fine with that. Better than staying near that house, just in case. It looks good from here, and I don't think there's going to be many in there, but... it's still a bit worrying." The survivor gestures at the zombie house. It does look quite firmly barricaded from here, but not so firmly that tens of zombies trying all at once couldn't make it out.

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

"Alright, keep a watch. I'll check upstairs." Nick says and goes to check upstairs. Hopefully it will be equally boring and then they can hunker down until Melvin arrives.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Ruined Motorway- Deserted House

Mary pokes around the kitchen detritus and finds a sheath, putting the cosmic knife in that before carefully taking it towards the front door.

Upstairs, a hallway has three doors leading off it. One leads into a bathroom, with a large bath, a sink, another toilet, and a medicine cupboard in it. There's also crusty dried towels on the radiator. In the medicine cupboard, there's a half-empty tube of toothpaste, a pair of electric toothbrushes, a packet of spare toothbrush heads, and an electric razor, plus charging cables for the toothbrushes and the razor. There's a ring on the side of the bath, alongside a bottle of shampoo and a bottle of body wash. Otherwise, there's nothing else in the room.

Next room is a bedroom, with a large double bed, a massive wardrobe, a chest of drawers, cat bed, and a grandfather clock. The furniture takes up most of the space here, and lots of places to look. The furniture is in poor condition as a window overlooking the garden has been left open, allowing the weather in. The bed is soggy, there's mould and damp on the walls and ceiling, and a long-tailed tit is sat on a nest built atop the clock, staying as still as possible so Nick doesn't notice it.

The final room is a study. There's a computer chair on its back on the floor near a desk with a mouse mat on it, but there's no visible computer or laptop. There's a gramophone in the corner, next to a stack of vinyl records, and a table near the window has a domestic printer sat on it. Somebody's broken into the printer and stolen the ink, but they've left several reams of paper underneath it untouched. Several photographs have been pulled off the wall and discarded onto the floor, revealing a small combination safe set into the wall. Somebody's tried breaking into it without knowing what they were doing, and chunks of plaster have fallen off the wall nearby, the crowbar used discarded on the computer desk, which has a single, locked drawer.

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Ruined Motorway - Deserted House

Nick takes the ring, certainly befuddled about it. Something valuable just sitting around while the rest of the house was ransacked? How did they miss this?

Nick doesn't feel that compelled to ransack the place himself. He doesn't really need loot. But Mary could probably use a few things to get her life started, so he might as well check for valuables.
He'll go through the desk and see if he can find some hint for the safe's combination. He is no locksmith so the safe is out of his reach if he can't find a combination.
The drawer though is more doable. If there isn't a key in the desk itself he does have a very basic pick he keeps in his coat for when he does sneaky things. Desk locks aren't particularly secure most of the time and can usually be popped open by anyone who knows what they're doing even a little.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

The people looting for valuables weren't interested in the bathroom and the people interested in supplies- medicine or soap- weren't interested in valuables. The ring itself doesn't look very valuable; it's brass, tinged green with verdigris, a plain band with some writing in Elvish runes etched into the inner surface. It's a replica, and not enchanted.

Upstairs, there's no key on the desk, nor any clues. The paper's been rifled through already, and most of it is... rather unimportant; construction documents for a housing project, with no clues as to its location or how complete it was when this house was abandoned. The drawer's lock is a pretty good lock; they'd upgraded it. However, even if Nick can't pick it, the desk is made out of wood and there's a crowbar over there. Inside, there's a notebook, a glasses case, a silver fountain pen in a case, and a signed copy of Sharpe's Tiger by Bernard Cornwell. The notebook has a lot of passwords and credentials written down inside, and next to the word 'safe' is written HBAJDC. Unfortunately, the safe doesn't have any letters on its keypad, only numbers, and not like an old telephone keypad where there's three letters on each number.

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Ruined Motorway - Deserted House

Well, the easiest interpretation is just to change letters to numbers. Nick tries the combination 8-2-1-10-4-3.
The silver pen is also probably worth something. And maybe the book, to the right buyer.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

The keypad doesn't have a 10, but it does have a 0 after the 9, and that's the correct code besides.

The safe opens, and inside there's a small mother-of-pearl jewellery box, a posh wooden case containing a Rolex watch, a slim folder containing the deed to this house and a pair of birth certificates, an antique chess set with pieces carved from ivory and ebony, a three-pronged charm of bone, and a gold statuette of a four-armed naked maiden with the head of a cat.

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Deserted House

Nick will go into the bedroom and pick out a bag of some kind to carry the goods in. If there isn’t any sort of backpack or sack to use he can use a pillow case. The chessboard might be the hardest to fit but if he can he’ll take everything but the documents that aren’t useful to him.

If any of the objects are magic, Nick has no way of knowing unless they do something on being touched.

And unless they do something obvious, he’ll be returning downstairs to check on Mary…
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Deserted House

There's a children's rucksack in the wardrobe, pink with Barbie on it. It's reasonably large, and better than nothing, especially given the open window means the bed is wet and the pillow cases rotten.

Some of the objects are magic! Nothing happens when touched, but as the statue is removed the safe gets shallower, with less depth to it. Likewise, when it goes into the bag, the bag gets bigger. The idol is meant to be in a shrine, where its space-manipulation is far more impressive. increasing depth by ten percent. The chessboard also fits, as does the pouch of its pieces. When the bone charm is touched, Nick will feel a slight urge to hold his breathe. Not for long, not long enough to harm, and it's a minor compulsion, easy to resist. When it's carried close to the skin, the bone charm improves one's ability to hold their breath, and the magic is... not smart, and certainly not self-aware; it doesn't want anything. But whatever put the magic in the bone charm did so in a way that would provide clues regarding its purpose for anyone who found it.

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Deserted House

Well, those should be kind of useful, even if Nick doesn't really understand them.
He returns to the lower level, bag in hand.
"There were some valuables in a safe upstairs. Take them. You'll need some money to get started in a new city." he tells Mary.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Deserted House

"Oh, thank you. The bag's useful too." Mary takes it and looks inside, before slinging it over her back.

Now it's a matter of waiting, really, for Melvin or something else that might turn up before hand.

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Deserted House

It takes about an hour, but Officer Dobbers will arrive eventually, a standard if somewhat large Intersection car pulling up to the street. A rather enormous were-hippo hauls himself out, looking around.
"Yup, that's him alright. Let's go." Nick waves, as does Melvin when he spots them at the window.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Deserted House

"Oh, my god. It's a hippo man." Mary wasn't expecting this. She really wasn't expecting this. If it had been mentioned, she'd dismissed it. She wasn't expecting Officer Dobbers to be so large.

Nevertheless, after a moment she gathers the few things she has and gets into the car.

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Deserted House

Dobbers walks straight up to the door and knocks lightly as if it's a house call. Nick rolls his eyes but they quickly get things under way.
"Hello, Ma'am. My name's Dobbers but you can call me Melvin. I'll be your driver today, if you don't mind getting in the back..." His voice is exactly as deep as Mary probably expected. If nothing else, Dobbers is a very safe driver and spears don't fly out of nowhere into the car this time...
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Petrified Forest, Ruined Motorway

Where once this road was busy, passing through a vast forest of green trees, now it is nearly deserted and the trees are dead, seemingly transformed into stone. The road's surface is cracked, and occasionally marred by craters or burnt-out wrecked vehicles. That isn't stopping one intrepid traveller, however. She's a woman with ashy-grey skin, quite young, and utterly bald. She's wearing a bright orange outfit with reflective stripes, and she's driving a vehicle. It's a red four-by-four, with a flatbed and fitted with a roll cage but no roof. In the back of the Canis Bodhi there's a cool box, several bags, a tool box and a spare wheel. Placed carefully on the passenger seat is a plastic bottle-crate with twelve glass bottles carefully packed into it.

The vehicle slows down as it approaches where a log palisade has been erected across the road, though there's no sign of any defenders or others that might try to prevent it from navigating past the obstacle.

Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Petrified Forest, Ruined Motorway]

In the distance, though how far in the distance is difficult to say, floats a head.

Or several heads, rather.

Angular, metallic things. More suggestive of a looming humanoid face than anything with any real detail. Eight of them appear to stand conjoined, each sharing an eye with the face next to it to create a ring of linked heads. A great snapping nest of cables descend from below it, fidgeting at the carcass of an attack helicopter as a shrimp might pick at the body of a dead fish. The statuesque machine shows no obvious mode of flight, simply hanging in the air with little regard for gravity or its surroundings.

It appears to show no interest in the woman or her vehicle, but the sight of it likely fills her with a loathsome, lurching sensation of dread in the pit of her stomach.

Hopefully it just...

Stays over there.

And continues doing whatever it's doing.