Inside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
User avatar
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster
Posts: 3686
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:14 am

Re: Inside

Post by Rebonack »

[Touring Inside]

Specifically Aivu bounces off his gut EXACTLY like someone bouncing on a trampoline. This, of course, looks very cute.

Eu retrieves the can from the machine and scrutinizes it. This clearly isn't like a bottle or a jug. There's no lid. But there IS that little ring shaped thing on the top. And what looks like a semicircle carved into the metal. She hooks a finger nail under the tab and lifts, rewarding her with a POP! as the can opens.

Ha!

Got it!

Riddle solved.

She's basically the riddle-master so was there ever any doubt?

"Two's pretty low," Eu says as she holds the can out to the small dragon, who opens her maw like a fussy baby bird and gets a mouthful of soda for her trouble.
"Haha it's so sweet and fizzy! It's like drinking laughter!"
"So far I'm two outta four for weird intractable problems," Eu muses. "You and the succubus gal. The dwarf and the bartender seemed to be okay, though."
"Maybe we're just getting lucky and meeting all the exciting people who have things we can help them with?" Aivu suggests.
"That WOULD be pretty consistent with how things normally go. And if I've learned anything over our exciting adventures it's that every problem that lands at our feet is a problem we can solve! Or help to solve. Or mostly solve? Or occasionally make worse but we've got a good track record of not actually doing that last one."

She pours some more soda into Aivu's waiting mouth and then spins on her heel, grinning at the crazy eclectic city all around.

"So you get in trouble just for trying, huh? You know what that tells me?" Eu spins around once more, coming to a halt with one finger booping Henry's snoot. "That tells me that whatever is maintaining this KNOWS it can get broken and doesn't want people to look too close."

Tags:
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3384
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Inside

Post by Keeper »

Touring Inside

Henry is booped! He has rough skin. You know, like a shark.
"Verity said the same thing. Basically, whatever entity that the knights' god called up and stuck in our house is very much an entity. Something strong enough could dislodge its claws from our souls if it could metaphysically beat it up and keep it off us afterwards. There's a lot of iconography of dragons in our house and apparently the giant claws were pretty literal so it could be a giant ghost dragon?"
He shakes his head.
"But of course, I guess the problem is mostly just getting me and maybe Sara fixed? The rest of my family seem weirdly okay with the whole thing. Even though two of my siblings are spiders, one is a slime, Sarah is a were-biohazard, and my mom's ex-husband is a talking painting. They brought me into the house on purpose! And they don't even move!" Henry has clearly had this conversation before.
"But also uh. Me and my gramma and step-ish-dad are all kind of...dead. Them actually, me halfway. so uh. It's possible without the curse I would just...die-die."
Of course given the nature of Eu's cosmology it's entirely possible he could just come back as a suspiciously similar agathion. Or even an azata on a particularly aquatic-feeling day.
User avatar
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 534
Joined: Aug 04, 2022 12:37 am

Re: Inside

Post by Murkus »

[Hospital Room]

"You just give us a call if you need anything, all right? And I'll be back in a while to sit with you." As soon as they can get Junior settled in the hospital nursery, she decides. "You know. Whether you're awake or not." She squeezes Dena's hand and rises to go, presumably with Kirk.
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 2673
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Inside

Post by Morty »

[Arkham Street Manor]
Hraithre wrote: May 20, 2023 5:16 pm There's a door in the kitchen that leads to the backyard, it's not hard to find. The garden is a bit overgrown due to lack of care. The armor is stashed in a decripit, vine-covered shed, along with aged and rusty gardening tools; the door is mercifully unlocked. The armor has not gotten any lighter, so Lia might have some trouble carrying it, but there's a recently fixed wooden wheelbarrow leaning to the outside of the shed.

Back at the front door, Hoshiki frowns. "Hrmph. I don't recall agreeing our fight would be to the death, but I don't recall agreeing the oppisite, either. May I ask, if not the girl, who is it that's worried of that no-good's life?"
"The girl is someone in my custody, who seems to come from the same world as you two and have some kind of familiarity with Sandels." Michalson knows he's being obviously evasive. The question is, will Hoshiki press him? "I don't fully know why she's so scared for him and concerned about you, which is why I need more context."
User avatar
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster
Posts: 3686
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:14 am

Re: Inside

Post by Rebonack »

[Touring Inside]

Shark skin only feels rough if you pet it the wrong way!

Rebo knows this, having pet several sharks.

Eu, however, does not know this as she has never pet a shark. And she didn't just pet Henry, either. She just booped his nose.

"Hmm..." Eu hums at that explanation. Specifically the explanation of 'monster in house with claws in souls'. "Well, I did blow up Baphomet's prison slash labyrinth slash Abyssal realm this one time. I'm pretty sure he's still mad at me over that. Didn't stop him from trying to hit on me after I took over Enigma, though. Eeww. Definitely not into goat-guys, old or otherwise. Especially goat-guys who tried to kill slash enslave me. Or kill people I care about. Or rip the heart out of angels I'm friends with."

But what does that have to do with-

"I had actually tried blasting the place directly and that didn't work. What DID work was pouring so much freedom juice into all the souls imprisoned there that they shattered their cells and blew the top straight off the place. I, uh-" she grins and rubs the back of her neck sheepishly. "I kinda wing it most of the time. Not much planning and a whole lot of doing. That might work with all the people bound in the curse on your house? Or it might just blow up your house. Or make a bunch of Elysium trees and plants grow everywhere. Honestly I've got no idea what cutting loose will do until I'm actually doing it. But-!"

She raises a very important BUT! finger.

"I'm on vacation. And I left most of my power back at home. So I probably couldn't actually pull that kind of miracle off. If you need a place that's been corrupted and desecrated cleansed and filled with vibrant verdant life I can totally manage that, though!"

"My sidekick is the best gardener!" Aivu helpfully adds.

"Now then... My list of sights to see says something about a... green bean? Statue? Or something? It's supposed to be Inside somewhere but this map doesn't make any sense."

That is true of much of the Nexus.

"What sorta half way dead are we talking about? You a lich or something? Like... a fishlich?" Eu asks, squinting at Henry as if doing so would cause the answer to manifest.
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3384
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Inside

Post by Keeper »

Touring Inside

Henry fiddles with his sharky paws.
"Oh. Well that's okay. I don't really care about the house but my family does for some reason. And I don't want to banish Granny and my step-ish-dad to some afterlife without asking them. And I like being alive too."
He blinks at the question.
"Um. The trauma wiped my memory of a few months but my sister fold me I got, quote, 'f-" Henry glances at Aivu, "'friggin assassinated.' And she tried to bring me back with her spooky scales and also the House was probably ticked off that I got bumped off six months after it finally caught me. So it mostly brought me back? But I'm still kind of..." He sinks up to his knees into the ground. "Not 100% there."
User avatar
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster
Posts: 3686
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:14 am

Re: Inside

Post by Rebonack »

[Touring Inside]

"What does friggin' mean?" Aivu asks, craning her neck toward Eu
"Hush, I'll tell you when you're older," Eu replies.
"Oooh! It's like the words some of the soldiers used when they wanted to teach me new words!" Aivu gasps with delight. "Sentence enhancers!"

Eu rubs her temples in exasperation.

"But those are ugly words and a dragon as pretty as you shouldn't be making the world uglier with them," Eu says, her tone faintly teasing. "What if you use them too much and you start growing scale warts?"

"Nuuu! Not scale warts!"
the little dragon laments, flailing around in Henry's arms in comical, overly dramatic fashion. "I need to stay smooth and glossy!"

Anyway!

Eu turns her map upside down, nods at it, and strikes off in a direction. Soon they're walking through a neighborhood with wooden buildings all sporting steep, brightly painted red roofs.

"You KNOW there's a way to fix the not quite alive thing. Works great with undead. You just off 'em and then bring them back! Easy. Just need a couple diamonds about yay big-"
she says, indicating a diamond of significant size. "I found a bunch of the things on my adventures with my friends. Never needed to use them because I was just that good."

She pauses at a tiny kiosk with a map of the surrounding area that has the same sort of colorful roof as the rest of the buildings nearby.

"But I guess if the curse goes soul-deep then raising you might just kick the ghostfish curse on again. I'm not exactly a magic expert. I just burp out mythic exploits every now and again."
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3384
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Inside

Post by Keeper »

Touring Inside

Henry gently attempts to pull the tiny child into a hug because she is just very cute and he can’t help himself. Luckily for her he is a rather gentle person.
”Dying just got Granny made into a ghost so I don’t think I’d stay not undead long enough for that to work. But thanks anyway.
But uh. I’ve lived in this city my whole life and I don’t have a full time job anymore so I could help you if you wanted?”

As it turns out, being so rich you don’t have to work is actually really boring. Hence why Henry doesn’t stay at home. And who knows, having someone who trips into mythic exploits owe you a favor can’t be a bad idea.
User avatar
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Posts: 1322
Joined: Feb 27, 2023 7:23 am
Location: Somewhere cold
Pronouns: Any

Re: Inside

Post by quillpleasant »

bc56 wrote: May 21, 2023 11:22 pm April Foolery
As mentioned before, the hissing sound is coming from underneath (or on top of, in this case) the bed. Given its inverted position, the space between the bed and the floor isn't visible from the ceiling. It will take some maneuvering to get a look at the source of the noise.
Nathair assesses the upside down bed. Whatever the hissing is, it's definitely worth investigating, but how? He briefly considers asking Asami if he can levitate her again, but sending her into potential danger repeatedly seems a bit mean spirited. Instead, he looks around for a dresser or other furniture item that he can potentially climb on for a jump up to the bed.
horses can attack and eat me
User avatar
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster
Posts: 3686
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:14 am

Re: Inside

Post by Rebonack »

[Touring Inside]

Aivu likes hugs! Less so if they're cold. But! Sometimes you have to make sacrifices in the name of good. Hug acquired, the little dragon hops down to the ground and begins trotting around a large barrel painted with garish colors and funny cartoon faces. That gets a laugh out of her as she tries making HER best silly face back. Sadly dragons don't have very mobile faces so mostly she can just stick her tongue out.

"Oh? How come you haven't got a job?" Eu asks as she begins tracing along the map looking for something. "Shrine of the Jade Aardvark? Haha what? That sounds amazing. Heh. I actually got started doing caravan guarding before I managed to get into all sorts of trouble and all the mythic nonsense started."

Uh oh.

Backstory stuff!

Eu really likes backstory stuff it helps to get to know party members.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 585
Joined: Aug 03, 2022 5:37 pm

Re: Inside

Post by Hraithre »

[Arkham Street Manor]
quillpleasant wrote: May 20, 2023 8:06 pm Lia sighs as she realizes the task in front of her. She should have asked Sandels to borrow his horse. Or maybe just asked the horse; it seems to do its own thing a lot. Regardless, she loads the armor into the wheelbarrow and then pushes it back through the house, stumbling a couple times as the wheel sticks on the uneven flooring.

"Can I borrow this push thing?" she calls out as she approaches the entrance, "I'm not really looking forward to the journey back without it."
Morty wrote: May 23, 2023 10:55 pm "The girl is someone in my custody, who seems to come from the same world as you two and have some kind of familiarity with Sandels." Michalson knows he's being obviously evasive. The question is, will Hoshiki press him? "I don't fully know why she's so scared for him and concerned about you, which is why I need more context."
Hoshiki gets distracted by the noise Lia makes, pushing the wheelbarrow through his house. He furrows his brow and looks inside. She didn't think to just go around? "... yes, you can borrow it", he says with a sigh, stepping out so Lia has room to push the thing on to the street.

He then resumes his conversation with the detective. "Ah, so that no-good was talking truth in that respect at least", he notes, "that there's another person from our world, I mean. She could've saved you a lot of trouble if she'd come here herself." He rubs his temple with his right hand, a pained expression on his face. "That she didn't, doesn't bode well. I wish I could tell you the context, detective, but I don't know who this person is and can only guess at what might be their motives. But I suspect... if she would confirm what that no-good told me... that it would reflect badly on her. Or at least that's what she thinks."
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3384
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Inside

Post by Keeper »

Touring Inside

"I don't have a full time job anymore. I used to but then I found out that I'm the lost son of a rich family so I don't really need to work. Even if it came with a curse.
For the record it's really boring actually which is why I volunteer at HALO as their lead ghost investigator. They've only ever given me one case but if they find another ghost to investigate I'm on call!"

Henry seems very proud of his position despite the fact that he's admitting he barely does anything.
User avatar
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster
Posts: 3686
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:14 am

Re: Inside

Post by Rebonack »

[Touring Inside]

"Haha, my family was about as far removed from rich as someone can possibly be," Eu laughs. "Also kind of... jerks. Like explicitly evil sort of jerks. It's why I had to get out of there. I know it isn't obvious right now, but my family's a manticore pride. And manticore aren't... friendly. Usually. I was kind of scrawny but I was SUPER smart. For a manticore. And the sort of stuff they did I just couldn't... I couldn't stay there and participate. So I left."

"Eu is a GENIUS!" Aivu points out, her tongue still lolling out of her mouth comically.

"For a manticore," she quickly adds. "I think I'm maybe a little above average compared to a human? Maybe? So anyway I'm a shifter, right? I've got innate primal magic that lets me transform. Most of the people who get it are the humanoid sorts. Elves and humans and dwarves and so on. And they use it to turn into beasts! But I use it to turn human and make my spines grow back really quick. People are usually WAY more open to a human with a tail walking around than a giant pointy winged lion-thing."

At about that moment a huge horned feline-like humanoid trundles past, which gets a laugh out of Eu.

"Well, maybe not HERE. This place is wild."

"I like it! Every time we come around a corner there's a new surprise," Aivu says.

"So ghost hunter, huh? I met a bunch of gnome ghost hunters once. I wasn't too clear on how successful they actually were, though."
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3384
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Inside

Post by Keeper »

Touring Inside

"Well, trust me, this was a recent development. I spent ten years working retail to cover Dad's debts. I'm told after my family found me I gave my boss a particularly colorful phone call but I don't remember it." Alas, memories stolen by trauma.
"I mean, I've never actually hunted a ghost. But because I'm kind of one I can mostly go through walls and touch ghosts. Which means I can punch ghosts. Eeeeeven if I admit I don't actually know how to fight really."
He just kind of floated the idea to Reinholdt and got hired on the spot. And then they gave him an office and left him to his own research. He has no idea what he's doing.
User avatar
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster
Posts: 3686
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:14 am

Re: Inside

Post by Rebonack »

[Touring Inside]

"Retail? So you worked for a merchant or something? Haha, I did that too! I mean, technically. Since I helped guard caravans from bandits and brigands and wild beasts and stuff. Lots of the paths around Osirion aren't exactly safe. But it's a cool job! There aren't that many landmarks out in the desert so mostly we would travel at night, guided by the stars and singing epic poems to gauge how far we've traveled. It was beautiful, wild, and dangerous,"
Eu says, smiling at the memory.

Most people probably would classify working retail as beautiful, wild, and dangerous.

"I've smacked a few ghosts during my professional career. And if there's anything I learned during that time it's that just smacking them generally doesn't cut it. That might get them out of your hair while they rebuild their weird ghost-bodies but that's just so you can figure out what's keeping them chained to this world without them getting all tangled up in your mane wailing and stuff."


No one wants a wailing ghost tangled up in their mane! Probably even if you don't have a mane.

"But once they're freed then they just go on to judgement and whatever afterlife they're supposed to go to. I guess it sounds like your parents have got that problem? They're dead but they're stuck. Usually ghosts are kinda... not all there? If you know what I mean?"

"They act crazy! And they don't remember things," Aivu says, then adds to Henry. "You don't remember things but you don't seem very crazy."
User avatar
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Posts: 1322
Joined: Feb 27, 2023 7:23 am
Location: Somewhere cold
Pronouns: Any

Re: Inside

Post by quillpleasant »

Arkham Street Manor

Lia brings the wheelbarrow jolting down the steps before halting it on the street. She hurries back up to rejoin the conversation.

"Hey, if you're talking about Sandels, then I protest the pejorative 'no-good'! I think he has quite a bit of good. And I'm very curious as to what is causing you to fight in the first place." She glares up at Hoshiki with narrowed eyes.
horses can attack and eat me
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3384
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Inside

Post by Keeper »

Touring Inside

"I remember most things!" Henry insists. "Just not a month-long period of time that got wiped from my brain when someone stuck something pointy into it.
And yeah, I was their clerk and their tech guy. Which basically meant that they called me all hours of the day to fix their problems and get yelled at by the customers over things that were someone else's fault. Usually their own."
Yup, retail.
"Granny and Ladnicarsis are bound by the house I think. It's less that they have unfinished business and more that the House won't let them go. And it's a huge jerk because it put Ladnicarsis in a painting. At least Granny gets to float around. She can't talk but we get the idea. Me especially 'cause ghost.
Also somebody named him Ladnicarsis so really I feel like he's been through enough already."
Poor kinda-step-dad.
"I have no idea if I can reform from subsequent deaths and I don't plan on finding out."
User avatar
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster
Posts: 3686
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:14 am

Re: Inside

Post by Rebonack »

[Touring Inside]

"I remember most things too! Like I remember to brush my teeth after I bite monsters so my teeth aren't gross!" Aivu laughs, bouncing in a little circle. "It's extra important to brush after biting zombies."

Very true.

You wouldn't want to get infected gums from biting gross zombies.

Eu, meanwhile, looks puzzled. "Why would you be getting yelled at? You were a hireling, right? Not a slave?" Now, while Eu absolutely despises bondage she understands the social dynamics of it. And usually freepeople are treated better than slaves. But as it turns out Eu really doesn't have any experience with MODERN retail. Her experience of how the people who work for merchants are treated is wildly different than how the average guy at a big box store is treated.

"Honestly what happened to your parents sounds like a soul trap,"
Eu muses. "I had to deal with something like that one time. But the bodies of the people were still alive, which makes a pretty big difference. Everyone dies eventually. It takes some... really dark magic to trap someone after they're dead. I have a hard time imaging paladins doing something like that."

Then?

Our heroes round a corner and there it is!

A huge shrine of ivory, gold, and rich polished wood. At the center stands an enormous jade statue of an aardvark.

Eu blinks at it.

Then laughs.

"Honestly I'm not sure what I was expecting."
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 2673
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Inside

Post by Morty »

[Arkham Street Manor]

"What did the alleged no-good tell you?" Perhaps Bunny doesn't need to fear that Hoshiki will take her... in which case he can be upfront with the big basher. But it's best to make sure first. He looks over to Lia. "I did get the feelin' he was posturin' just a little bit. Makin' himself out to be more of a knight of the post than he is. I know the type."
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3384
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Inside

Post by Keeper »

Touring Inside

"Yes, but they wanted THEIR THING RIGHT NOW. And I was the person who worked the store at the time. Which means us not having it is my fault. Apparently.
Computer not working? Also my fault. Their order shipped broken? Also my fault."
Henry has thoughts about working retail.
"It was probably less them, and more the patron they called up. After all, there are those super nasty undead sometimes created when a god forsakes them or something." Lord Sothe was a dumb idea on the gods' part.

Henry does smile at the aardvark.
"Yeah, he's a great little guy, isn't he?"
User avatar
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster
Posts: 3686
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:14 am

Re: Inside

Post by Rebonack »

[Touring Inside]

"Geeze, are the people here really that ungrateful?" Eu asks, honestly shocked that anyone would act like that. Honestly she's just really fortunate to never have the misfortune of having a job like that. She was a professional! And after hearing stories of the World Wound she had decided to go try to help! After all she was a pretty solid warrior in her own right.

What's the worst that could happen?

Getting killed horribly by demons?

Probably not much worse than getting killed horribly by bandits.

"Well, after I've seen some of the sights maybe you can show me your house? I can try yelling at whatever's living there just to see what happens. Might get kicked through a wall but that wouldn't be a new experience. Couldn't be worse than getting slapped through a wall by a fiendish minotaur."


She seems awfully up-beat about the prospect of getting clobbered.

That might have something to do with manticores being kind of... weird. Or maybe Eu is just weird. Or maybe both!

"Totally! Just look at those nose it's amazing!"
Eu laughs.
"What is it?" Aivu inquires, tilting her head off to the side as if the statue will make more sense at a forty five degree angle.
"An aardvark. It's a doofy animal that lives out in the wastes and digs up termite mounds, I think."
User avatar
Earl of Purple
Reborn Elder Poster
Posts: 1930
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 3:59 pm
Location: Amongst the Folk from the North
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Inside

Post by Earl of Purple »

Thursday Violist wrote: May 22, 2023 3:52 am[Streets - Doll, June

Aah! It's Medusa.
June makes sure she's pointedly not looking in that direction

Since there's no name or tag or anything stitched on the doll, June feels a little embarrassed for checking. Okay, the teeth didn't have any, the doll didn't have any, so maybe the knife. . .? she starts to wonder.

Just as she's about to look at the knife, June starts to feel a headache start to set in.
And realizes she's still holding her breath. Hasn't even felt the need to breathe.

Honestly, that's weird.
Did...she suddenly gain a new power again?
No, that would be weird. If she gained a new power, she would've noticed. It would've probably been intentional. Besides, she hasn't drunk any vampire blood or anything like that recently, so that's doubly unlikely.
June exhales, just to check if she can - check if she didn't, like, suddenly die and turn into a ghost or something. Nope, that was a breath. She tries to wrack her brain to come up with why she hasn't felt the need to breathe, but...
Suddenly, her eyes glance at the doll.
That's really the only thing that's changed. Or maybe the teeth. But probably the doll. Actually, if it is the doll, she probably doesn't even want to mess with the knife and she's lucky she didn't try to sift through the teeth, because she can't even guess at what those sorts of things would do.

However, she's got to check to be sure.
June carefully sets the doll back down, just to check if it really was the doll's doing. After setting the doll down, she tries holding her breath for as long as she can, just to test it.
And then, afterwards, picks up the doll again and tries again to double-test it. If the doll really makes it so she doesn't have to breathe, then...well, she's not really sure what she could do without needing to breathe, but it could potentially open up some training possibilities or infiltration possibilities. After she asks around to see if she can find whose doll it is, of course; she doesn't want to steal someone else's doll.
The doll's tied to June's new ability to hold her breath! And possibly to other people, as well. Even if it's less useful for June, perhaps she knows someone who can use it?

Or perhaps they won't be able to, as if anyone else takes it, I'd like to be informed so I can provide a new roll. But for now, anyone she asks has no idea whose doll it is; one dog-like Ainok will remark that he thought it was June's already, and that 'it was waiting for her'.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
User avatar
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil
Posts: 2620
Joined: Aug 02, 2022 6:29 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Inside

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Touring Inside]

All of sudden there's sounds of commotion coming from a nearby alleyway. Followed by a scream.
Image
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 585
Joined: Aug 03, 2022 5:37 pm

Re: Inside

Post by Hraithre »

[Arkham Street Manor]
quillpleasant wrote: May 24, 2023 4:22 pm Lia brings the wheelbarrow jolting down the steps before halting it on the street. She hurries back up to rejoin the conversation.

"Hey, if you're talking about Sandels, then I protest the pejorative 'no-good'! I think he has quite a bit of good. And I'm very curious as to what is causing you to fight in the first place." She glares up at Hoshiki with narrowed eyes.
Morty wrote: May 24, 2023 9:01 pm "What did the alleged no-good tell you?" Perhaps Bunny doesn't need to fear that Hoshiki will take her... in which case he can be upfront with the big basher. But it's best to make sure first. He looks over to Lia. "I did get the feelin' he was posturin' just a little bit. Makin' himself out to be more of a knight of the post than he is. I know the type."
"He more or less admitted fault for us two being in this world and for my difficulties of remembering why", Hoshiki answers dryly to Michalson, "for a start. He also claimed things have... changed rather drastically where we came from. If he is right, one or both of us are exiles at best and fugitives at worst."

He turns to look at Lia. "He's also a thief and a liar. His only excuse for flaunting human laws is if he answers to a higher one. If not, I do not need any personal reason to fight him."
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3384
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Inside

Post by Keeper »

Touring Inside

"People really get that entitled sometimes." Henry doesn't think it's because of this place in particular. Eu probably just didn't work the shop where she's from.

He opens his mouth to make up an excuse why they shouldn't go to his house but instead a distraction arrives instead!
"Oh wow someone's in trouble we should help them." he mutters quickly and hurries off towards the alley.
User avatar
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Posts: 1322
Joined: Feb 27, 2023 7:23 am
Location: Somewhere cold
Pronouns: Any

Re: Inside

Post by quillpleasant »

Arkham Street Manor

Lia's glare deepens. She takes a deep breath before replying.

"What you say is true, Sandels is a lying criminal. He's also boorish, callous, rude, self centered, and infuriatingly evasive at times. He's likely done worse things that I don't know about."

She pauses for a moment, fiddling with her dress. "And yet despite all this, I care for him. Beneath that grimy exterior I believe there is goodness in him. He watched over me at a time when I was very vulnerable, and he helps those who are near death and have no one else to turn to. Regardless of your arbitrary human laws, I do not believe that he deserves death, and so I ask that even if you insist on going through with this pointless duel, you refrain from dispatching him if indeed you are the victor. Which of course, you won't be." She inclines her head, hiding her face behind her mushroom cap.
horses can attack and eat me
User avatar
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster
Posts: 3686
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:14 am

Re: Inside

Post by Rebonack »

[Touring Inside]

Yeah maybe if Eu had worked at a big department store she would have had the experiences that Henry did.

But!

Things like that didn't exist!

Buying and selling from merchants tended to be much more one on one. More bartering, too. And if someone decided to be a jerk there's a good chance the merchant might raise their prices just to spite them. Really discourages that kind of behavior.

And then there's screaming.

Eu doesn't even comment on it, she's already off toward the sound at a sprint. A wave of swirly green magic washes over her tail and it becomes pretty quickly NOT just a regular lion tail. It's thicker, more substantial, and certainly longer with golden keratinous plating running down park of it. And, most importantly, a bunch of golden quills bristling along its length. There's a bit of a bulb at the end, like a scorpion's sting, but no stinger is present. Just more quills.

"Oh no bad guys maybe! Time to save the day!"
Aivu declares, scampering off after Henry and Eu with scarcely contained excitement. It's been a while since she's gotten to do hero things!
User avatar
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil
Posts: 2620
Joined: Aug 02, 2022 6:29 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Inside

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Touring Inside]

Turning into the alleyway they will find themselves watching a fight between a group of three humanoids that seems to have bark for skin and a four armed black golem (or robot). One of the bark people is laying on the street, seemingly knocked out while another is leaning against the a wall, black blood oozing from their right shoulder. The third is wielding a black staff and seems to be trying to put up some kind of resistance as they arrive. Holding the staff up to protect themselves from the artificial beings onslaught.

The golem/robot is only wielding a shovel but that seems to be more than enough as it cleaves through the staff and buries the shovel in the bark-persons chest just as they round the corner.

Plastic bags they must all have been carrying lie discarded on the ground. One of them have been toppled over and there's dark dirt coming out of it.
Image
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3384
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Inside

Post by Keeper »

Touring Inside

Henry looks at the violence before them with a high-pitched, undignified noise.
The temperature of the alley drops sharply, and a pair of icy-blue flames spring up around Henry.
But he appears to be too frightened to do anything, as his face slowly turns translucent.
User avatar
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster
Posts: 3686
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:14 am

Re: Inside

Post by Rebonack »

[Touring Inside]

It's okay Henry.

Most people don't know what to do when a fight breaks out. Most people will panic or freeze. You haven't been doing this stuff for years.

Eu, however, has.

"Everyone COOL IT!" she declares, ethereal aquamarine butterflies swirling out from under her hat and fluttering over the alley, dragging behind them creeping vines and vibrant flowers! Flowering vines lash out to grab all the combatants and pull them apart gently but forcefully. The air fills with a sweet, heady scent that might make the people who smell it feel invigorated or sleepy or like they would love to skip around in the flowers or a wide range of various mostly positive things.

Hopefully that will prevent any further shovel wounds.

Speaking of shovel wounds!

Aivu goes scampering over to the injured tree-person to use a pretty minor healing spell on them to prevent the shovel wound from killing them.

Hopefully this will be enough to calm things down long enough to figure out what's going on.
Post Reply