Bloodsong's Oasis - Jazz Club and Speakeasy

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Re: Bloodsong's Oasis - Jazz Club and Speakeasy

Post by Keeper »

Askeladd might notice Krayger just sitting down at the bar, actually. He hasn't noticed the (very normal and not magically empowered) man as his back is turned. He seems to have just arrived. He seems to be wearing a slightly more formal outfit than last time, which is to say he's wearing a shirt.

Tags:
Morty
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

"Krayger. Good to see you again." It's hard to miss Askeladd's approach. Aside from his impressive size (for a human), his footsteps are more resounding than they should be. "Looking a bit more formal today."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

"Oh, hello Askeladd." Krayger replies as he turns on the bar stool.
"What a coincidence. And yes, I came here after work. I've been trying to look more uh. Important I guess. Especially after I felt underdressed here last time." he admits again.
Morty

Post by Morty »

"You're pulling it off, I'd say." Askeladd's tone is humorous, but the compliment is genuine. "You say especially. Is there another reason you're trying for formality?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Morty wrote: May 31, 2023 11:06 pm "You're pulling it off, I'd say." Askeladd's tone is humorous, but the compliment is genuine. "You say especially. Is there another reason you're trying for formality?"
"Oh. I am officially the head of personnel at my company now. Which mostly means I hit things with a hammer less and ask people about their skillsets more. I think. I've only been doing it for a day."
Which mostly means he's been moving into his new office.
Morty

Post by Morty »

Askeladd raises his eyebrows and smiles.

"Truly? That is excellent news. They call for a celebration, I'd say. I'm glad to see you appreciated."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Krayger tries to wave Askeladd off.
"Oh, no. It's no huge thing. You hardly know me. We don't need to do anything crazy over it."
But he's lying of course. He considers it a rather big thing. Both for the money and the recognition. Perhaps the first in his professional career spanning nearly two decades.
Morty

Post by Morty »

"I find that hard to believe." Askeladd sees what's happening here. Krayger is downplaying his accomplishment. Perhaps he needs a push in the right direction. "I think you are proud of this, and you're right to be. I may not know you well, but... I am here and in a position to share the mood."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

"Oh. Well. Um." Krayger taps a finger against the counter.
"...did you have something in mind?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

"Hmm. The celebrations I'm used to from my homeland... might be too rowdy for this locale." Askeladd looks around. He might be wrong... but he also doesn't want to risk it. "Let's start small. Have some drinks and toast to your new position. Then I can tell a story. That's my calling, after all."
Ironsmith
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Ironsmith »

"Mind if I join you guys?"

If Krayger was underdressed last time he was here, the newcomer definitely is; she's in sweatpants, a baggy green t-shirt, and loafers. She slips into the stool next to Krayger without waiting for an answer, immediately setting a diamond-encrusted coin on the bar next to her.

"Congratulations on the promotion, by the way." Rose beams up at Krayger. "From what I saw, you've totally earned it."

Not that she saw much, mind. But there's really no need to advertize that.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

"Well, that sounds rather pleasant. I-"
And then Rose appears!
What has she been up to anyway? Last he checked she had ditched him in the middle of the mission and then shacked up with the target and didn't get fired so she was presumably still doing something right.
"Hello, Rose. It's been a while. What have you been up to?"
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

"Oh, you know. Sleeping with the enemy. Literally, metaphorically, and euphemistically." Rose waves her hand dismissively. "So I suppose you could say I'm doing well. Apart from the bit where she stole valuable technology from me and used it to conquer a good portion of Skyside, thus making me indirectly responsible for the deaths of hundreds and the suffering of thousands more." She shrugs and gives him a mirthless smile, before turning back to the bar. "Hey, bartender! How about something strong for myself and these two handsome gentlemen?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

Askeladd regards the woman in front of them. She hides something behind her casual demeanor, clearly. But this isn't really a time or place to dig.

"Friend of yours, I take it? Or co-worker, at least." Having said that to Krayger, he gives Rose a small bow. "I am Askeladd. Krayger and I met recently. And just now I heard about his good fortune."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

"She's a fellow merc." Krayger says diplomatically, implying the latter of Askeladd's options without saying the former is out of the question.
"Though last we saw each other we were posing as a feuding couple. It ah, does sound like it didn't go great after that."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

"Well, within parameters." Rose clarifies. "You gotta take a big picture view of these things or else you're gonna end up drinking yourself silly trying to cope with it."

clump! Go three identically-sized glasses of liquor.

"But never mind me." Rose grins, patting Krayger's back. "Tonight's your night! How're you settling into the new job?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

Askeladd gives Rose a brief, scrutinizing look. Here's a woman who is much more than she seems. Even as she admits to subterfuge.

"Big picture... I know a thing or two about that. But you're right, this is hardly the time for it. Was your feuding couple act convincing?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

"Well it got us into the building at least. I thought I did pretty well for someone who hasn't had a relationship like that for twenty years." he shrugs. "But I think it's fair to say Rose is the better actor."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

"Practice makes perfect. And god knows I've had practice." Rose grins, pulling one of the glasses toward her and taking and impressive gulp out of it. "Either that or good source material. Somebody's had to play the protective boyfriend role before, eh?"

...Wait no that was a dumb thing to say. She can't even blame the alcohol, she's had one mouthful.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

"Practice does indeed make perfect. I have some experience with it. But that's a long tale and one that might be a bit grim for today." Also, he had the advantage of being able to change his features. "Well, unless we get more drinks in us first, perhaps. Or I pick the more cheerful parts." He opts not to comment on the suggestion that Krayger has had to play this role before. It's a personal subject.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

"Twenty years ago, Rose. She's my sister in law now." He takes out a photo of a smiling young bovine youth holding a messer. "And don't you dare say you're sorry. My nephew's the best thing that ever happened to me."
He takes a long pull of the beer.
"You did promise a story, Askeladd. But it's your call which story to tell."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

"Ah. Well. Good to hear it worked out okay." Rose smiles, internally relieved at that outcome. Asking Krayger about potential tragedies in his past was probably not the best idea in the world. Maybe she should just shut up and listen to that story he mentioned.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

There's a longer story behind what Krayger said, but not one he's eager to tell. Askeladd can sympathize, of course. The first story that comes to his mind... it involved a friend, once. Maybe he can tell it in the name of the friendship he once had with her, and not the bitter conflict that replaced it.

"The first one that comes to mind is... remarkably similar, really. It was a time when my friend and I had to pretend to be a married dynastic couple."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

"Dynastic?" Krayger asks, settling into his seat proper. He can't help but think of his time as a lad where the clan storyteller would have all the children as her rapt audience. She usually had a flute as part of the act but that's not fair to expect of Askeladd.
"So you had to go into cover as some rich fops?"
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

"Best kind of fops." Rose comments. "And basically the perfect storm of a disguise. Rich is an easy credential to fake, and people tend to underestimate idiots even if they have money. Especially if they're willing to part with some of it to cover embarrassing incidents."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

"Indeed, but it wasn't as easy as that." Askeladd's voice does indeed fall into the cadence of a storyteller. "They belonged to the Scarlet Dynasty, the ruling class of an empire that straddles the world and threatens the land I hail from. To pretend to be one of them, one has to adopt their haughty bearing and self-assurance. At least we pretended to be mortals, rather than the demigods who command the dynasty. More complicated was the fact that I was never attracted to women." He gives a low chuckle. "Fortunately, the dynasts frown on public affection and many marriages are arranged. A woman and her husband acting aloof towards each other is not unusual."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Krayger wonders if he should read into the phrasing of 'pretended to be mortals.' Nah.
"Oh, well that's certainly the first hiccup. Sad you couldn't find a partner for the scheme who would have made it easier for you." But he can imagine a fellow with- whatever features Askeladd is into- would not necessarily also coincide with the ability to pull off heists.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

"Those are rarer than you might think." Rose notes, taking another sip from her drink. "You remember our conversation on the way up to Skyside? It's difficult to find someone who can strike the appropriate balance between being immersed enough in their role to be convincing while divorced enough from it to not develop actual feelings and complicate the mission further." She shrugs. "I've found a genuine concern for their partner's well-being, mixed with a mission-first mentality, generally gets the job done. But that's just me." She gives Askeladd a little nod. "Please, continue."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

Askeladd's smile turns sad. There was one person with whom he would have been more at ease... but even before things turned sour, it would have been too awkward.

"We were reasonably confident in our plan. We acquired appropriate attire, created a simple story that wouldn't require us to dissemble too much... and traveled south. The Realm's satrapy lay there, closer to the sea than my homeland. It started out well enough. You know that when you appear somewhere and act like you belong, people will assume you do. We did try to interact mostly with common-born mortals, who won't gainsay a dynast. Encountering one of the Dragon-Blooded would be a quite a risk."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Krayger doesn't know what a satrapy but he can take context clues.
"So, the royals in your world are part dragon? Or is this another case of inaccurate names?"
This is exactly why metaphorical names can throw people off.