Inside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Re: Inside

Post by Thursday Violist »

Keeper wrote: May 27, 2023 11:22 pm Cult Clash

"My armor was made by the temple armorer, actually. I'm sure he would have mentioned it if he knew how to do something that convenient. It's alright, though. I have plenty of time to fix the problem unless someone succeeds at stabbing me. Dragons live a long time."
G'nichi is of course just saying that. Everyone knows there's no way in hell he's managing to live a long time with his luck.

[Cult Clash]

Zophiel still thinks it's possible that the armorer didn't consider that it might be used while flying, due to being accustomed to not needing to consider it. However, since G'nichi knows the armorer better and appears unbothered by it, he chooses to not voice his opinion.

"Even if you do get stabbed, you can probably just heal yourself, anyway," he comments instead. That's usually what Zophiel does when he's stabbed, anyway. though it's certainly not the fastest thing to do.

He looks around the park they're still in.
Intersection is arriving to clean up and question people.
"I'm not particularly interested in getting questioned, so what do you say we step away from here?" Zophiel says.

Tags:
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Arkham Street Manor]
quillpleasant wrote: May 28, 2023 4:27 am Lia stares at Hoshiki with rising frustration. After actually taking the time to compose her thoughts and make an eloquent plea, he's just ignoring her?

"Cat got your tongue? I said 'could you refrain from dispatching him?' You're welcome to reply in the negative, but I do expect a reply."

She crosses her arms, distractedly drumming fingers on her elbow. "Regardless of my feelings, I also do need Sandels for a specific service. Losing him would not only impact my emotional well being, but a very important long term plan of mine, and I'd like to avoid that at all costs. Surely we can work something out. If you don't even know what exactly he did, why are you so dead set on going through with this?"
Morty wrote: May 29, 2023 7:37 pm "Seems I might need to ask her a couple more questions." Bunny's motivations seem conspicuously absent from his reasoning. "This seems... like a complicated mess I've only scratched the surface of. And here I am in the middle of it."
Hoshiki furrows his brow at Lia's comment. "You know, I'm starting to wonder if the girl you're talking of is just this girl right here", he says to Michalson, "if not, that would mean that man has somehow swayed two different women to his side. I have no clue what they see in him." He turns to face Lia.

"That man owes me an explanation. He promised me one if we fought, and I'm going to hold him to that. You do realize that if he wanted to, he could've just told me everything from the get-go? That he didn't - that he put such a condition on it - means he wants to fight too. You seem convinced he would win, so what do you need my assurance for? Take that armor and go." Hoshiki is not nearly as convinced of Sandels's odds of victory and has high doubts of whether he ever cared lf Lia's plans or well-being.
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

Rebonack wrote: May 29, 2023 6:02 pm [Touring Inside]

"That's basically what we got," Eu agrees. "We heard yelling and came around the corner to check it out. Lots of incoherent, cryptic warnings. But the yelling about traitors by the elves when the armor-guy starting talking about preventing infection sorta gave away the game."

Sounds like stories are being corroborated.

"Woah there little lady, you aren't going anywhere," the pegasus says, beating his wings to place himself in the path of the elf thing crawling away. "You're all going to be heading in for examination and decontamination. What exactly are we dealing with, Red?"

At that question 'Red's helmet pops open, revealing a unicorn mare with a crimson coat with chocolate-y undertones and am off-white mane. Her horn lights up with a muddy chartreuse glow, lifting up some of the black oil staining the ground and then she-

Licks it.

Eeww.

"Hmmm. What a unique boutique. Like Borg nanoprobes with a hint of mana-corrupting magic. Hardly the worst we've had to deal with, darlings, but still dreadfully serious," Red Velvet comments, her tone that of a genial connoisseur sampling fine wines. And then with a twinkle of magic she and the kirin begin loading the elves into the containment tubes. "A class five contact contagion. Be a dear and contact Switchboard. Let her know we'll need a cleaning and containment detachment."

At that the thestral nods while Red does some kind of... scan? Henry, Eu, and Aivu probably won't notice anything since they aren't infected with magical NANOMACHINES, SON. But the tainted elves and anything else with phyrexia devouring them will suddenly feel VERY keenly exactly where Red Velvet is, a greasy, crawling presence like worms slithering under one's skin. And in turn Red will be able to pinpoint them, as well. The reach of the divination is considerable, but not unlimited by any means.

"Soo... do we still need to stick around? Or can we go?" Eu asks.
[Touring Inside]

The person in the armor looks on in what must be sheer horror as the red helmeted pony licks up the black substance. "N- DON'T!" At this point they will suddenly make and effort of ripping themselves free from the vines and attempt to tackle Red to the ground.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Touring Inside]

For dramatic reasons the vines break at exactly this moment.

Also for dramatic reasons the various Intersection ponies all brace for a conflict as the armored figure aims to tackle Red Velvet.

What likely follows here isn't quite what the armored being was aiming for. Red moves with a precision of poise and grace that boarders on supernatural, dancing around and above the tackle attempt until she's standing daintily atop the figure's armor who's now laying face-down in alley. It all happened so quickly the person in the golem suit might be left wondering what the hell just happened.

Red pats them lovingly on the shoulder with a hoof. "The concern is touching, darling, but you needn't worry," then she strikes a dramatic pose, hoof on her own chest and head thrown back. "My resplendent beauty protects me from all manner of unseemly corruption!"

"I thought it was you being like eighty percent plague worms by volume," the pegasus snarks.

"Hush, Stern, you're ruining the moment."

Eu raises a hand. "Can we go now? Not that watching this isn't entertaining."

"You're all clear of the contagion," the arion replies, nodding to our heroes. "You can return to your business. Please enjoy your time Inside."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Touring Inside]

There's a thud and a grunt as the person only tackles air. Then ungracefully falls to the ground.
They appear too spent to immediately get up. Still laying faceplanted against the street.

The elves, besides the one still laying on the street, will violently struggle against the ponies for a bit but it's clear they are either too wounded or exhausted to put up much of a resistance.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

bc56 wrote: May 28, 2023 3:47 pm April Foolery
Nathair gets up onto the bookshelf and looks under the bed.

When you think of the monster under the bed, what do you imagine?
Tentacular arms? A too-long neck ending in a far too human face? Numerous tiny insectile legs for crawling on its belly? Something like that? Is that just me?

Anyway, that thing is there. But it seems to be asleep, the hissing sound being its slow breathing.
Nathair freezes as he sees the abomination. Ah. Well, that's a thing.

For a moment, he considers waking it. Having been in some pretty dire situations before, his confidence is high when it comes to monsters. But Asami's presence complicates the situation, and after a moment he climbs silently back down the bookcase, and then drops to the ceiling-floor on all fours, trying to be as quiet as possible.

Assuming the thing doesn't immediately follow, he backs slowly out of the room, raising a shhing finger to Asami.

-
Hraithre wrote: May 30, 2023 6:51 am [Arkham Street Manor]
Hoshiki furrows his brow at Lia's comment. "You know, I'm starting to wonder if the girl you're talking of is just this girl right here", he says to Michalson, "if not, that would mean that man has somehow swayed two different women to his side. I have no clue what they see in him." He turns to face Lia.

"That man owes me an explanation. He promised me one if we fought, and I'm going to hold him to that. You do realize that if he wanted to, he could've just told me everything from the get-go? That he didn't - that he put such a condition on it - means he wants to fight too. You seem convinced he would win, so what do you need my assurance for? Take that armor and go." Hoshiki is not nearly as convinced of Sandels's odds of victory and has high doubts of whether he ever cared lf Lia's plans or well-being.
"No, it's not me," huffs Lia, "We haven't even met. But...hm." As Hoshiki explains further, her fury turns to puzzlement.

"I didn't know Sandels was the one instigating this whole situation. My apologies, I was operating with less than the full story." Which seems to be the case all too often when it comes to Sandels. "And the fact that you're looking for an explanation means that it's in your best interest to win without killing him. That also changes things."

She pauses for a moment, lost in thought. "Well, perhaps armed with this knowledge I can petition Sandels to simply tell you what you want to know. Although I rather doubt it'll work." Her eyes narrow curiously. "What is it that you want to know? Exactly?"
horses can attack and eat me
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by [brackets lover] »

April Foolery

Asami nonchalantly looked on as Nathair executed his gambit to get a look at what was making that sound, mildly amused by his reaction. For the most part, she remained silent, save for her gait changing to a nervous slow pacing as she followed Nathair out of the bedroom.

Her attention now redirected from the mysterious noise, she reached down for the TV remote, now realizing its peculiar position on the ceiling. Assuming it remained there, she would begin to fiddle with it whilst passively following Nathair. The first thing she would try would be to look through the arrangement of buttons to see if there were any that were unusual before pressing the "down" button.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

April Foolery
The creature remains asleep and doesn't follow. If that is a monster-under-the-bed, maybe it's nocturnal?
Asami picks up the conspicuous TV remote. It looks pretty normal, with exactly the buttons you would expect.
The down arrow is clicked.

Nothing happens. The TV remains powered off and nothing else changes.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

April Foolery

Nathair closes the bedroom door softly, making a mental note to return there if he can't find anything else of interest here. For now though...

Well, the attic was empty. But the basement might not be. Of course, it also might be hard to get to, since it's located towards the top of the house, but Nathair heads over towards it nontheless, trying to get a good look up the stairwell to see if it might be possible to climb up a handrail or something similar.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Touring Inside

Dismissed by the ponies, Henry tries to lead Eu away from the alley.
"So uh. Whatcha wanna do now? If you want I could leave you two to it. I was born and raised in the city if you'd like me to play tour guide but you know. You don't really know me or anything." he says.
Unless she wants to talk about what just happened, which Henry isn't.

Cult Clash

"Well, sometimes I suppose.
Oh um. Sure."
G'nichi starts walking in no particular direction.
"Is there any place you wanted to go?" he asks Zophiel, even though Zophiel just said two minutes ago that he was interested in seeing the temple.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

bc56 wrote: May 27, 2023 6:11 pm Making Trouble
That's a clever move. Up on top of the boxes, Blank is safe...

Oh wait. He isn't.
One of the guards strikes the base of the precarious stack of boxes, causing the whole thing to shake dangerously. They might not be agile, but they're strong.
He lifts his fist back for a second blow, one that will almost certainly send the entire pile toppling over in an instant.
[Making Trouble]

Blank yelps and immediately hops over to the next stack of crates, watching the first collapse behind him from the necessary force to lift him off of them. Whew boy. Apparently, he hadn't considered that.

But then a little light goes off in his eyes and he gives a little chuckle, waiting on top of the next stack for the guards to give a repeat performance. If they do, he'll hop off again... this time in such a way as to send it toppling toward the assailant. They'll probably survive that, but it should represent a significant impediment.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

April Foolery

Seeing as the remote did nothing, Asami would check if it had any batteries in it before putting it in one of the pockets of her jacket.

...On second thought, if it did have batteries in it, she would take one out and grip it tightly. After assessing whether the battery gravitates upwards or downwards, she'd put it back in. Maybe this won't get us any further along, she thought, but a meticulous approach has proven to be generally more effective than a forlorn charge. We should take our time here.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Making Trouble
Sure enough, the guards try the same trick twice. After all, it nearly worked once, they can get it right the second time.
But they don't, because instead the stack of crates topples onto them. One manages to jump out of the way, but the other one is pinned down. She starts to extricate herself, but now once again, Blank has them both distracted. This time, he might actually be able to make a break for it.

April Foolery
The remote does have batteries, and they fall downward, like the rest of the remote.

And there is no basement staircase, at least not one the explorers have found. But there is a closed door. Unfortunately, it's locked. There must be a key somewhere around here. But where would it be hidden?
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Making Trouble]

"If you guys had ever done a freerunning course, you'd have seen that from miles away!" Blank taunts, circling around back the way they came. "You seriously need to consider getting a hobby!"

That's it... just follow the bunny and pay no attention to anything else.

Just outside the warehouse door, the knightess braces herself for the oncoming strigoi and his pursuer, adjusting her shield on her arm. They'll need to time this perfectly...

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Arkham Street Manor]

Michalson runs his hand through his hair. How did he wind up in this situation?

"Aye, I never saw Lia until today. But I do have some questions for the person who did send me. And as long as Sandels stays on this side of the dead-book, I reckon my job is done."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Making Trouble
That taunt means absolutely nothing to the guards. Once the trapped one is free, they both chase after Blank, right into his planned trap.
This is his chance to dispatch them and escape - and hopefully save Mary from that succubus that's looking for her.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Touring Inside]

Eu waves to the ponies, golems, and other weirdos as they depart.

What an exciting city!

Maybe no quite the sort of exciting she was expecting but hey it's something, right?

"We've got a list!"
Aivu cheers in reply to the shark guy's question.

'We've got a list," Eu confirms. "Of attractions. In no particular order. Which I think might be important since the map of the city doesn't seem content to hold still."

Very frustrating.

Makes navigating a bit difficult.

"Next thing on the list are the edible chocolate chip cookie sculpture gardens."
"OOOOOH that one sounds the best!" Aivu practically sqeuals with delight, running in a little circle around Henry and Eu, weaving between their legs.
"So, what, you want to tag along? Play the tour guide? Is your life as a rich half-dead shark really that boring that you join up with random tourists?"
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

Keeper wrote: May 31, 2023 7:32 pmCult Clash

"Well, sometimes I suppose.
Oh um. Sure."
G'nichi starts walking in no particular direction.
"Is there any place you wanted to go?" he asks Zophiel, even though Zophiel just said two minutes ago that he was interested in seeing the temple.

[Cult Clash]

Zophiel reads between the lines and sees that G'nichi's implied question is Is there any place other than the temple that you want to go?. Or maybe he just reads too far into it.

He walks alongside him.
"Not any particular place," he says.
He remembers something G'nichi said earlier: "You said you were headed towards a cafe, right? We could head in that direction anyways."
And, of course, when they get there, they may encounter something happening.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

bc56 wrote: Jun 01, 2023 1:48 am April Foolery
The remote does have batteries, and they fall downward, like the rest of the remote.

And there is no basement staircase, at least not one the explorers have found. But there is a closed door. Unfortunately, it's locked. There must be a key somewhere around here. But where would it be hidden?
Nathair purses his lips. Part of him wants to just bash the door down, but it somehow feels like that might be going against the strange rules of this place. Instead, he begins searching around for any desks or drawers that might be found on the ceiling-floor, which could potentially have hidden compartments in them.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

bc56 wrote: Jun 01, 2023 1:48 am Making Trouble
Sure enough, the guards try the same trick twice. After all, it nearly worked once, they can get it right the second time.
But they don't, because instead the stack of crates topples onto them. One manages to jump out of the way, but the other one is pinned down. She starts to extricate herself, but now once again, Blank has them both distracted. This time, he might actually be able to make a break for it.

April Foolery

With the arrangement of the house, Asami began to wonder if their approach was futile. It resembled a more classic dungeon layout, to be sure. Locked door and a monster in an obscure area? No doubt the two are related, considering their proximity.

With all other leads exhausted, Asami tenses up in preparation for combat. In a demonstration of confidence, she makes an aside comment to Nathair, forgoing stealth, "I believe we'll have to fight whatever you saw back there, can you protect yourself?"
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Arkham Street Manor]

"I want to know how things are back... home", Hoshiki says to Lia. The last word doesn't sit well in his mouth and the look on his face tells he doesn't care to elaborate.

"I make no promises", he says to Michalson, "I remind you that while I may need that man alive for him to hold up his side of the bargain, I don't know what the news are. Neither do you. You didn't come here, this morning, on behalf of the law to stop me. Next time, you may have to, if you still wish to. Have a nice day."

He bows, steps back in, and closes the door.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

April Foolery
Both ideas seem to converge on the same place. The only unexplored drawer that seems likely to contain a key is in the bedroom nightstand (there are other drawers in the bathroom too).
But that creature, whatever it is, looks dangerous. It's asleep now, but they'd better be ready.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Touring Inside

”Well like I said, I gave a job but they don’t call me often. And I’m not even good at that either. Hard to fight ghosts when you don’t know how to fight.”
Henry looks like he’s working up to something.
”Random tourists, no. But I’m willing to help out friends?” he says, his tone putting that last word as a question.

Cult Clash

”I was at one, yes. Sure there’s plenty of things over there.”
Off they go! Something exciting may or may not happen!
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Arkham Street Manor

Lia opens her mouth to respond, only for the door to close in her face. She gapes for a moment, then abruptly turns away, her mind whirling.

After a moment to compose herself, she smiles wanly at Michalson. "Ever feel like you're in the middle of a story, and you don't know how it started, and it's the wrong genre?" Shaking her head, she begins to walk away from the crumbling manor, when a thought seems to occur to her.

"Hey, you're going to see this mysterious third party now, right? Would it breach your code of secrecy if I tagged along? I have a couple questions I'd like to ask her myself."

-

April Foolery

Nathair curses under his breath. He should have known that this wouldn't be that easy. Of course they'd have to look by the monster.

As he heads back to the bedroom, he talks to Asami over his shoulder in a low voice. "Okay, I'm gonna try to climb back up to the nightstand and see if it has a key. I don't know how asleep that thing is, or how dangerous it is, so it'd be best if you stayed outside on lookout. If it wakes up, run. Don't worry about me, I'll be fine." And with that, he carefully begins to ascend the bookshelf once more.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Arkham Street Manor]

Michalson sighs, a sound coming straight from the bottom of his heart. A sigh of a tired man.

"That's a succinct summary of this entire addle-cove barkle story. But no, I don't reckon it'd be any trouble if you've met her. Maybe you can help me set the story straight. Might be some paperwork, though, because she's in my office at the precinct. I'm her parole officer."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Arkham Street Manor

Lia nods. It's nice to not be alone in feeling utterly confused sometimes.

"Well, I don't know what a parole officer is, but I can handle paperwork I think. I do a lot of reading." She doesn't seem to fully understand what paperwork means, but she seems excited about it. "Shall we? You lead the way this time."
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

quillpleasant wrote: Jun 03, 2023 8:07 pm Arkham Street Manor

Lia opens her mouth to respond, only for the door to close in her face. She gapes for a moment, then abruptly turns away, her mind whirling.

After a moment to compose herself, she smiles wanly at Michalson. "Ever feel like you're in the middle of a story, and you don't know how it started, and it's the wrong genre?" Shaking her head, she begins to walk away from the crumbling manor, when a thought seems to occur to her.

"Hey, you're going to see this mysterious third party now, right? Would it breach your code of secrecy if I tagged along? I have a couple questions I'd like to ask her myself."

-

April Foolery

Nathair curses under his breath. He should have known that this wouldn't be that easy. Of course they'd have to look by the monster.

As he heads back to the bedroom, he talks to Asami over his shoulder in a low voice. "Okay, I'm gonna try to climb back up to the nightstand and see if it has a key. I don't know how asleep that thing is, or how dangerous it is, so it'd be best if you stayed outside on lookout. If it wakes up, run. Don't worry about me, I'll be fine." And with that, he carefully begins to ascend the bookshelf once more.
Asami frowns at Nathair, crossing her arms. "Running makes us look like thieves," she said in disapproval, "If they wake up, we should try to explain the situation to them. That's the best way to avoid conflict. So, i'm staying with you, in case I know their language and you don't."

With that, Asami would once again follow Nathair into the bedroom, raising her arm up to keep the bookshelf steady as she eyes the bed.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

bc56 wrote: Jun 01, 2023 8:42 pm Making Trouble
That taunt means absolutely nothing to the guards. Once the trapped one is free, they both chase after Blank, right into his planned trap.
This is his chance to dispatch them and escape - and hopefully save Mary from that succubus that's looking for her.
[Making Trouble]

The trap is actually quite simple.

See, the knightess follows a specific but prominent archetype Arthfael is all too familiar with; a knight in shining armor.

In this case, quite literally.

As Blank passes her, the knightess angles her shield to send the reflected glare straight at the guards' eyes. It likely will only blind them for a moment, but a moment at this pace creates a lot of ambiguity. Did Blank turn right after passing her? Left? Did he hop those rails over there and continue down that lane? Did he double back and climb over the roof of the warehouse?

And there won't be anyone around to question, either. After the trick's been pulled, the knightess gives the fiends a cheeky grin and disappears in a flash of blue flame. She's done what she's set out to do.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Touring Inside]

"Have you tried biting the ghosts? That's what I've done and it's always worked out except when it doesn't!" Aivu helpfully suggests.

"Aaww, you're friending up already? That's great! Really it's been a while since I've gotten to tour around and I had nearly forgotten just how quickly people want to be buddies with me,"
Eu laughs.

It's true, though.

There's just SOMETHING about Eu that draws people to her. To want to get to know her. To be part of her story or at least let her be part of their own story.

"So it sounds like you'll be joining us at the cookie statue garden? Who knows, we might even meet and ghost-"

"And get to bite it!"
"-along the way."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Arkham Street Manor ==> Intersection Precinct]

Michalson will lead Lia to the precinct where he's stationed, and then to his office, after registering her as a visitor.

"Bunny? You 'ere?" he calls out to his ward.