Elfside

Personal homes and private lots.
AshenAmbrosia
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Cass' Tower + Aelfisborough

Post by AshenAmbrosia »

[A Mouseterious Occurrence]

The mouse tilts their head slightly, then attempts to scamper back on to Wenomir's hand, nuzzling into it.

[A Very VIGIL Thanksmas]

"She respects you," says Cass, taking a sip of her coffee. "She just doesn't like that I like you. In fact, if I weren't so dangerously taken with you, I think you two would get along famously."

Well, that might be a little bit of an optimistic take, even considering such an alternate universe. Something that doesn't seem to be lost on Cass as soon as she says it, as an anxious look crosses her face and she takes another sip.

"There's still time to call it off... we could say some urgent Vigil stuff came up, or something."
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

Now it's Wenomir's turn to be surprised, but he delivers headpat to the mouse-Cass while waiting for Wren.

[A Very VIGIL Thanksmas]

Wenomir opts to nip the anxious train of thought in the bud. He walks over to Cass, puts his hands on her shoulder and touches their foreheads together.

"No such talk. We'll handle it. And I'm sure a well-prepared Thanksmas dinner will sway Geneviève."
AshenAmbrosia

Post by AshenAmbrosia »

The mouse sits there in contented mousey silence as its headpat, until eventually they can hear commotion coming from downstairs, signaling Wren's appearance. There's a low whistle, presumably coming from Wren's surveying of the damage and chaos wrought below.

"Wenomir? Cass? You guys in here?"

[A Very VIGIL Thanksmas]

"It better," says Cass, smiling as she leans up to give Wenomir a quick kiss, bringing with her the distinctive aroma of fresh coffee. It's only the briefest taste, however, as Cass quickly withdraws, pulling away from Wenomir to turn her attention back to the kitchen, which with a wave of her hand begins to dutifully tidy up itself.

None too soon, really, as shortly after that begins there's a knock on the door!
Morty

Post by Morty »

"Come up to Cassandra's office," Wenomir calls out. "But be careful not to let Darika in," By the Riddle, this sounded bizarre. But once Wren is here, it will all be cleared up.

[A Very VIGIL Thanksmas]

Wenomir straightens up and goes to open the door, doing his best to look both like a proper host and festive. As festive as he can with his face looking like a tic-tac-toe board.
AshenAmbrosia

Post by AshenAmbrosia »

"If you say so," says Wren, opening the door and squeezing himself through - with a little bit of commotion has he has to stop Darika from joining him.

He scans the room briefly, his eyes sliding over the mouse in Wenomir's hand to take in the general mess - and lack of Cass, which prompts a frown.
"Okay Wenomir, what's going on?"

[A Very VIGIL Thanksmas]

At the door are the expected guests, led by Wren, who gives Wenomir a knowing grin as he enters, wearing a mauve sweater vest over a casual shirt and trousers. Behind him is Geneviève, dressed in a floor-length wrap around dress of dark green, and Lucien, who immediately bounds forward, rushing past Wren and Wenomir with a yell to deliver a flying hug to Cass. Behind the crowd is a floating magic disk, laden with a number of packages - some of them seeming to be quite large.

"Hello Commander," says Geneviève, pronouncing Wenomir's title formally and crisply. "May we come in?"

Her silvery green eyes flick briefly towards Lucien, who of course had not bothered to wait to be invited in, though Geneviève seems to be wearing an indulgent smile.
Morty

Post by Morty »

Maintaining his typical stone-faced stoicism, Wenomir gestures towards the mouse on the table.

"Cassandra has been turned into a mouse. By a vengeful sorcerer, it seems. They're not... capable of speech right now."

[A Very VIGIL Thanksmas]

"Of course. Welcome to my home and merry Thanksmas."

Wenomir might be a touch formal here. Trying to make a good impression on Geneviève. This is a rather new situation for him, inviting his significant other's mother into his house.

Lucien is of course not stopped from making his flying hug, but is also greeted by Coco, who comes running from deeper inside the house. The fluffy green raptor makes exciting chirping noises as she runs up to Lucien, then Wren and Geneviève, then Lucien again.
AshenAmbrosia

Re: Cass' Tower, Aelfisborough, and other Homes of Elves

Post by AshenAmbrosia »

"Turned into a..."

Wren looks at the mouse.

Then back at Wenomir again.

Then back at the mouse.

Then back at Wenomir.

"Oh you're serious. PffffHAHAHAHAHA!"

Wren doubles over and begins to cackle with mirth, his laughter matched by the sudden explosion of angry sounding squeaks from mouse!Cass, who begins to hop up and down agitatedly.

[A Very VIGIL Thanksmas]

Lucien eagerly trades Cass for Coco at the fluffy raptor's appearance, petting and snuggling it while babbling excitedly to Cass about... bikes? It sounds like bikes.

"An honor," says Geneviève, giving Wenomir a smile which is only... slightly uncomfortable. "...is that coffee I smell?" She sweeps into the house, beelining towards the scent of the delicious coffee aroma. These elves and their coffee... or maybe just an excuse to escape an awkward situation.

Wren, for his part, enters less hurriedly, loitering near the door as he gives Wenomir another grin.

"Howdy Wenomir. Doing well, I hope?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

"This... really isn't funny, Wren. Be serious." Deep down, Wenomir admits that it's a little funny. But it would take witchcraft or psychic powers to drag this out of him. "We need your help to figure out where to start reversing this. I doubt this sorcerer would have used a curse that's easy to lift."

[A Very VIGIL Thanksmas]

Coco begins to make more cooing and chirping noises as she's pet. As only an animal receiving affection can.

"Oh, you know. Same old. Managing a herd of cats known as the Vigil members. Saving the Nexus. Teaching martial arts." The possible reason for Geneviève's departure doesn't escape Wenomir. "I've taken on another student. I fear someone will need to physically restrain me from taking on more at some point."
AshenAmbrosia

Post by AshenAmbrosia »

"There's an apothecary who moved into town recently. She knows some magic, but I don't know if she'd be able to help with a powerful curse like this," Wren muses. "We might be better off starting with Astrana, of Merc. She's an experienced curse-breaker. As is mother, but I'm guessing Cass already rejected that suggestion, their pride being what it is."

He grins at Cass, who gives a sullen squeak in return.

[A Very Vigil Thanksmas]

"Far be it from me to suggest such a thing," says Wren, giving Wenomir an encouraging smile. "You're good with children. That's an admirable trait."
Morty

Re: Elfside

Post by Morty »

"Cassandra has already rejected the proposal of involving Geneviève, yes." Wenomir chooses not to elaborate. "It might be worthwhile to ask this apothecary. We'll probably need an appointment to talk to Astrana anyway."

[A Very Vigil Thanksmas]

"I am, that's true," Wenomir admits. "Anastasia is more of a teenager than a child by now. Perhaps the same skills that let me handle armed children and teenagers serve me well in keeping Vigil members in line. I wonder what my old master would think." As he and Wren talk, he turns back to where Geneviève, Lucien, Cass and Coco are. "Once you're done saying hello to Coco, we should take our seats. The main dishes are ready and warm."
AshenAmbrosia

Post by AshenAmbrosia »

"I'll make the appointment tomorrow, then."

[A Very Vigil Thanksmas]

"I'm looking forward to seeing what you and Cass have whipped up," says Wren, smiling. "I must admit, I never took you for much of a host. I'm ready to be surprised."
Morty

Post by Morty »

"And in the meantime..." Wenomir rubs his face. "Let's talk to the apothecary. If nothing else, maybe she'll produce some information that will help Astrana. But we also need to do something about Darika."

[A Very Vigil Thanksmas]

"Normally I'm not," Wenomir admits. "In fact, this might be... the very first time I've ever received more than one person. But it's a special occasion. A family occasion. So I have to make an effort."

Is this a family occasion? Cassandra is reluctant to call Geneviève their mother, but has no such hesitation to call Wren and Lucien their brothers. It certainly feels like one to Wenomir, regardless.
AshenAmbrosia

Post by AshenAmbrosia »

"I'd be happy for her to live at my place for a bit. Or Cass could stay with you, and I'll visit to feed the cat and the lizards."

[A Very Vigil Thanksmas]

Wren gives Wenomir a reassuring smile. "Don't worry yourself too much about it. Cass is Geneviève's favorite. She's pleased to be here. Even if her attitude might speak otherwise."
Morty

Post by Morty »

Wenomir runs his fingers through his hair, sighing. Deciding where it's safe for an elf-turned-mouse to stay is not what he expected to be doing when he got up in the morning.

"I did just get a pet raptor. I think she'd try to eat a mouse too. Maybe it's best if Cassandra stays with you and we'll arrange for someone else to take care of the tower."

[A Very Vigil Thanksmas]

"I'll take your word for it." Wenomir decides to take Wren's advice to heart. While he's a notorious worrier, today isn't a day for it. "Now if everyone would head to the kitchen, the Thanksmas dinner is ready. We've all contributed something to it, haven't we? Including a soup and dish of my people."
AshenAmbrosia

Post by AshenAmbrosia »

[A Mouseterious Occurence]

"Works for me," says Wren, smirking a little as Cass makes some resigned seeming mouse noises. "Don't worry little mousey, I'll take good care of you. And it shouldn't be for long, I'm sure we'll get you back in no time."

[A Very Vigil Thanksmas]

"That sounds lovely. I brought a selection of wines for the night. Most are drow-made, of course. The advantage of responsibility. But I think a few human-made bottles and a halfling port made the cut for tonight."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[A Mouseterious Occurence]

"I really do hope so." Wenomir sighs as he settles in to wait for the village healer to arrive.

[A Very Vigil Thanksmas]

Wenomir proceeds to invite everyone to the dining room, where the dinner is waiting. Like he said, he prepared borscht with dumplings and pierogi - the latter in several varieties for everyone's taste. Cass knows that he spent a lot of time making sure they're both exactly right, religiously following the recipes he got from his sister in law. Cass themself would have provided the roast to go with the dinner.

He'll regale the guests with stories about his more Lucien-friendly adventures as Vigil commander, duelist and martial arts teacher until it's time for dessert and the presents.