Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

For free floating plots that wish to be separated from specific locales.
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

Post by Gullara »

[Swamp Searching]

Pancake stops by the track, and so doe Reilana. She crouches down to take a closer look. Sneakers? What's weird. She wouldn't have expected anyone out here, let alone someone not prepared to. It's such a mucky mess here; her own heavy duty boots are barely adequate.

After a moment she stands back up. "Let's keep going." They continue, with Reilana keeping a wary eye out.
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Swamp Searching]

Following the trail of spirit also makes them follow the tracks, giving further credence to the theory that whoever is out here is following the same trail as they're doing.

But then they take a turn for the weird(er) as Reilana can see hand-prints in the mud as well as footprints. As if whoever came this way suddenly had decided to get down on all fours.
And now far away from these strange tracks there's also a big hole in the ground that looks like it was recently dug and has at least partly been filled up with dirt again. Notably, it doesn't look like it has been dug by a person. Rather, judging by the scratch marks on the ground it was probably made by a canine. Though they don't usually make this big holes.

While the trail of death spirits continues across a nearby stream a lot of them have simply stopped at the hole and are swarming around it.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Swamp Searching]

Reilana stops by this hole and eyes it suspiciously. Definitely seems suspect. She should investigate, but not without protection. She picks up a nearby stick and circles the hole, marking out theorems as she goes. Then she leans over key spots on the markings and wedges bone shards into the earth. Not the strongest bone ward, but it'll give her a moment to react at least.

After that's done she stoops down next to Pancake and gives him a pat. "Can you dig that out for me?" The bunny nuzzles against her hand and then hops into the hole to dig out the recently refilled dirt.
~Images by Soushiyo
DeBunny
Maliciously Tyrannical Admin

Post by DeBunny »

[Over the Mountains...]

"I wouldn't overthink it too much, child. It is the way of things, this cycle of existing and binding. Successfully trapping many spirits is more akin to winning a competition, proving that your authority comes from a place of acceptable superiority."
You have pulled them here and matched wits well enough to put them in a corner, something to be respected. Unlike smacking them in the face a bunch until they give up.
"Unless you make a fool of yourself, child, any resentment is likely to be short-lived.

Negotiating service is simply the verbal form of this. The word of a spirit, if you can get it, will serve all the binding you need.
If you can't, that is where I will insist you be aware of entrapment."

She describes a few options on this front. Typical mages would arrange magic circles of some form or another, which he is welcome to try to learn, but it will take considerably more effort on his part, as he lacks most of the fundamental knowledge behind the process and she is not going to try to teach him.
But there are means of tricking spirits into taking ensorceled items, or into places of power. Perhaps an enchanted muffin? Into the oven?
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Over the Mountains…

”I think we’ll start with just one for now. Having a bunch just sounds like a hassle. But okay. Magic cookie. Magic muffin. That’s two things. We can do that in one night.”
Surely Granny can teach him that much, even if she has little faith in him.
”What are they likely to ask for?”
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

Arkhosia wrote: Jul 02, 2023 2:03 pm
► SHOW SPOILER
[Feline Family Friction]

Blanche's ears turn low and flat as she stares back into Liz's eyes, her jaw set for a few moments. There's conflict, defiance, a crack in the stony edge to her. Finally, she turns back to the computer screen, something different creeping into her gaze. Her voice is lower and quieter than before when she finally speaks. "I know what it means to pull the trigger, kid. More than you could ever imagine."
There's a long pause, as Elizabeth watches Blanche's face. She takes a few long, shuddering breaths, wiping the tears from her face. Something in the other woman's eyes and voice keeps her from pushing further, like she touched something she shouldn't have.

Silently, she returned to her work, but her eyes kept flicking back. Something else was bothering her. Blanche looked way too familiar. It wasn't just the cat features, and the similar hair- there were probably whole herds of catgirls roaming the Nexus- but those eyes were, too. It was probably a coincidence, but... "Uh, you, uh... what's your last name?" She finally asks, no longer able to hold the question back.
Bismark wrote:Silence, birb-wench.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Swamp Searching]

Pancake doesn't have to dig long before he unearths signs of what lies hidden underneath the dirt. Thankfully, it is not a person however. It appears to the ravaged head of some kind of serpentine animal. One might have mistaken it for an anaconda if its head hadn't been so large and that it was filled with teeth that suggests its quite a different type of predator.
They're sharp but there's a flatness to them that suggests it might actually be an omnivore. One that doesn't swallows its prey whole but tears them apart.

Reilana can smell the sweet scent of blood but not decay hinting at how fresh the cadaver really is.
Though if Pancake continues digging he will reveal that it's more than just the head. Indeed, it appears as if this creature was already in the ground when it died. Like it was digging through it like a giant worm. Perhaps that's what the flatness of the teeth comes from? By 'Chewing' the earth it digs through?

Either way, it looks like this creature emerged from the earth where it met its end. Probably by whatever then covered up the hole it had made. There's no telling just how long this creature was but it would probably be difficult digging much further.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

► SHOW SPOILER
[Feline Family Friction]

"Hm? Er, Turath. Terenti-Turath, technically," Blanche answers a little absentmindedly, still staring at the screen in front of them. Only after a moment does she turn back to Elizabeth and blink quizzically. "Wait, why?"
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
DeBunny

Post by DeBunny »

[Over the Mountains...]

Granny actually laughs at this question.
"Silly boy, how would I know that? If you plucked a random individual from the streets of your city, at random, are you likely to know their heart's desire?
If you plucked another?
Spirits are as wide and varied as any mortal. That's the fun of it. You'll have to find out."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Over the Mountains...

"Granny, I'm starting to get the idea you don't think I'm very smart." Rowan grumbles as he starts getting to work on the cookie dough. He's going to be there a while. Especially since he has to make TWO batches and put them BOTH in the oven.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Swamp Searching]

Reilana leans in closer when she determines that the findings don't seem dangerous. Pancake digs up around the serpentine creature, but doesn't take it too far. "Weird." She mutters, not put out by the recently created remains in the least. Honestly she'd love to take a closer look, but she has a jo to do, it looks inconveniently big, and she doesn't have her full gear in the field.

What she can do, though, it try and step down into the hole and lever out one of the creature's flatter teeth. Maybe that could help her look into this further later. Just because she's not fully kitted out doesn't mean she doesn't have some pliers for this job. In this case, in the form of a swiss army knife.
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Swamp Searching]

It can't be said that it's simple to remove one of the creatures teeth as it will take some effort. It is however very possible with the tools Reilana has on hand. As she gets closer to the creatures head she can see the injuries it has sustained. While the claw mark on its snout looks pretty nasty that isn't the cause of death. That would be the fact that its throat has been torn out with what must be sharp teeth. Likely some kind of predator that was intelligent enough to bury it here for a future meal perhaps?

Either way, once she emerges from the hole she has one of the creatures teeth. Though the trail of death spirits does lead further. Since the death of this creature can't possibly have lured so many of them here.
She does have to cross the stream to be able to follow them however and the water looks like it might go nearly all the way up to her knees.
But whatever it is she's looking for, it's close. Pancake being able to see huge swarm of death spirits that will be waiting for them as soon as they crossed the water.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Swamp Searching]

Still very strange. The thing that killed it might still be nearby. She better be careful not to become it's next victim.

When out of the hole, Reilana collects her bone shards and stows them away. Then she checks her sleeves and pockets over. Once satisfied she approaches the stream. Ugh, she was really hoping to avoid this. At best it'd make the rest of the excursion extremely unpleasant. She can't see a way around, though, and trying to follow it down to find a shallow place to ford might take her hours.

So the teen simply stoops over to pick up Pancake and wades into the stream.
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Swamp Searching]

Wading across the river is relatively simple as long as Reilana don't mind getting her clothes wet. But given that the weather is fairly warm it's probably not a big deal.
Being a swamp this can just barely be called a river given how weak the stream is so it isn't like she has to struggle against it.

Once she gets closer to the other side she can tell that the storm must have impacted this area heavily as there are several topped over trees here. Two of them leaning precariously against a smaller tree which looks like it might collapse at any given moment. Probably wise staying away from that one.

Once she's on (relatively) dry land again she can hear what sounds like someone muttering to themselves just beyond the thorny underbrush where the spirits are swarming. The voice sounds strangely familiar even if she can't quite make it out.
Pancake, who is particularly in tune with the spirits, might note that some of them are in the trees. If he notifies Reilana of this she can soon tell there's something hanging off the branches up there. It looks like long, thick strands of purple hair. Or perhaps fur. Either way, this seemingly biological material gives off a powerful spiritual aura.
DeBunny

Post by DeBunny »

[Over the Mountains...]

"Don't overthink it, dearie. Granny loves you just as you are."
A little turn of phrase that seems to have the same, abstract weight to it as some of her previous comments before things got weird for Rowan.

Things get weirder for Rowan.
It starts with a simple weird: there's an apron in his oven, when he goes to start making his goods. Touching it feels like grabbing a treasured toy in your childhood, an important sense of belonging and need.
Wearing it makes him feel more Him.

A feeling that only progresses, as the baking continues.
More cookie made, more Him.

By the time he's done, he feels more Himself than he ever has before. Up until he looks into a mirror, or reflective piece of glass, anyway.
Hopefully that happens after he has pulled in his soon-to-be spirit familiar, it'll probably put things in a weird mood otherwise.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Over the Mountains...

There's a sort of buzzing in Rowan's ears that he can't quite identify. Almost like two words being whispered into his ear over the course of half an hour.
Perhaps lucky for him, there are no mirrors in the bakery's kitchen. The only one is in the faculty bathroom. For whatever reason Rowan finds himself glossing over things that should alarm him, like the increasing blue-ness of his arms and hands. Or that blue patch obscuring the bottom part of his vision.

Rowan shapes his cookie into a cheery little thing in the shape of a rat or mouse with a pointy hat. He needs an assistant spirit that will be knowledgeable in the things he is not and can get to places he can't. He understand that a spirit of such nature is more likely to be well, smart. And thus less likely to agree to simple bribery. But it's a risk he has to take.
As he follows Granny's instructions to break it, the Muffin of Binding sits cozy and warm in the oven.
DeBunny

Post by DeBunny »

[Over the Mountains...]

There's something like a rumple in the air, like it was fabric somewhat disturbed. The creases and wrinkles shift around themselves, into a not-entirely identifiable shape of something, floating over the broken cookie.
A voice comes from it, like the tinkling of little bells.
"Give me the name of my summoner."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Over the Mountains

It must think he's stupid. Even Rowan knows not to do that. He even avoided giving Granny his name and that was when he was super out of it because of her magic.
"I can offer you many things, but my name is my own. You can call me Sandy for right now." he tells the voice, trying to sound very official.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

Shadowcaller wrote: Jul 06, 2023 3:21 pm [Swamp Searching]

Wading across the river is relatively simple as long as Reilana don't mind getting her clothes wet. But given that the weather is fairly warm it's probably not a big deal.
Being a swamp this can just barely be called a river given how weak the stream is so it isn't like she has to struggle against it.

Once she gets closer to the other side she can tell that the storm must have impacted this area heavily as there are several topped over trees here. Two of them leaning precariously against a smaller tree which looks like it might collapse at any given moment. Probably wise staying away from that one.

Once she's on (relatively) dry land again she can hear what sounds like someone muttering to themselves just beyond the thorny underbrush where the spirits are swarming. The voice sounds strangely familiar even if she can't quite make it out.
Pancake, who is particularly in tune with the spirits, might note that some of them are in the trees. If he notifies Reilana of this she can soon tell there's something hanging off the branches up there. It looks like long, thick strands of purple hair. Or perhaps fur. Either way, this seemingly biological material gives off a powerful spiritual aura.
[Swamp Searching]

Reilana doesn't put Pancake down again when they're on the other side. She adopts a wary posture, clearly disquieted by the atmosphere and the sound of the strange voice. She pauses briefly to look up at the hair in the branches before moving on. She steps forward slowly slowly, and as quietly as she can manage.
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Swamp Searching]

Stepping closer she can make out the voice a bit better and it's a woman voice. Or more accurately, a teenagers voice. Someone she's pretty sure she knows from school but whose name doesn't quite come to her right away.

"-why don't you let me touch you? We're on the same side. We both hunger. We both consumes. Yet you hurt me each time I go near... so mean. So very mean."

She can see the figure of what looks like someone on their knees intently staring at the spot which the spirits are swarming around. All the vegetation beyond the underbrush that separates her from the stranger has been completely flattened. As if something huge came crashing down here. Though she can't see an impact crater or any burn marks so it probably wasn't a meteorite or something outlandish like that.

But whatever it was, it's gone now as she would have spotted something that big pretty easily.
There's more of that strange purple hair laying on top of the flattened vegetation and there just laying on the ground is a jagged tooth the size of her own hand. That seems to be what has drawn the spirits here.
Yet they are behaving oddly, since while they are swarming around it like flies around a corpse none of them seem to dare to get too close to the tooth. Like it is keeping them at bay and attracting them at the same time.
DeBunny

Post by DeBunny »

[Over the Mountains...]

It does think you're stupid, Rowan. Most mortals are stupid.
Your ability to scrounge together a good enough braincell to not fall for the most basic trap in the book is nice though.

The little space distortion seems to hum a bit at Rowan's response, and bits of cookie crumb begin to float up into it.
"Too blue for a 'Sandy'. I'm going to go with Smokey. Or maybe Quakasaurus? Cakezilla?"
Now it's just being openly mocking.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Over the Mountains...

"Smoke isn't blue either!" Rowan insists, snorting with impatience, Though a wisp of smoke does leak from his nostrils, possibly explaining what the voice means.
"It sounds an awful lot like you're being species-insensitive, which I don't appreciate." Just because he has claws and scales and a tail does not make him a dinosaur, rude spirit. "And I don't have anything to make earthquakes. Cake is on the table, though." Rowan certainly sounds serious enough that it's actually difficult to tell if he's willfully ignoring the insults or is actually stupid. The truth of course is that he's willfully ignoring the insults but is also currently charmed to ignore the fact that Granny's magic bond has made him a large blue dragon radiating the same "completely harmless" aura that Granny has (until he sees his reflection or the evidence becomes irrefutable).

"I can offer you a way to experience this world, room and board, good food, and you can speak now if you want to negotiate more. And I'll even be nice about it if you cool your jets with the insults."
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

Arkhosia wrote: Jul 05, 2023 2:47 am
► SHOW SPOILER
[Feline Family Friction]

"Hm? Er, Turath. Terenti-Turath, technically," Blanche answers a little absentmindedly, still staring at the screen in front of them. Only after a moment does she turn back to Elizabeth and blink quizzically. "Wait, why?"
[Feline Family Friction]

Terenti. Fucking Terenti. "For fucks sake." Elizabeth lets out a long sigh of realization and frustration. Really? Really!? What were the odds!? "Please, please tell me that you're not related to a Reinholdt Terenti." She's skirting dangerously close to revealing her own identity to Blanche here, not something she planned on. She's actually surprised she's gotten this far without being asked for a name. Depending on how quick Blanche is on the uptake, though, that might not last long.
Bismark wrote:Silence, birb-wench.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

[Feline Family Friction]

Blanche tilts her head. "...Yeah, he's my-" And then everything clicks. Bright bubblegum-pink eyes, just like hers. Feline features, just like hers. Her whole face turns pale and she runs a hand through her hair. "Oh gods. You're my half-sister, aren't you?"

The realization seems to take a bit out of Blanche and she turns, as if processing a lot, before asking, "What's your name, kid? Did he even stick around for you?" And then after a moment, "Shit, did I even give you mine?"
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

Shadowcaller wrote: Jul 07, 2023 4:39 am [Swamp Searching]

Stepping closer she can make out the voice a bit better and it's a woman voice. Or more accurately, a teenagers voice. Someone she's pretty sure she knows from school but whose name doesn't quite come to her right away.

"-why don't you let me touch you? We're on the same side. We both hunger. We both consumes. Yet you hurt me each time I go near... so mean. So very mean."

She can see the figure of what looks like someone on their knees intently staring at the spot which the spirits are swarming around. All the vegetation beyond the underbrush that separates her from the stranger has been completely flattened. As if something huge came crashing down here. Though she can't see an impact crater or any burn marks so it probably wasn't a meteorite or something outlandish like that.

But whatever it was, it's gone now as she would have spotted something that big pretty easily.
There's more of that strange purple hair laying on top of the flattened vegetation and there just laying on the ground is a jagged tooth the size of her own hand. That seems to be what has drawn the spirits here.
Yet they are behaving oddly, since while they are swarming around it like flies around a corpse none of them seem to dare to get too close to the tooth. Like it is keeping them at bay and attracting them at the same time.
[Swamp Searching]

Reilana crouches amidst the underbrush at the outside of the flattened portion. What the hell...? Ana? Okay, probably not Ana but... is this sort of weird perception magic maybe? But even if it was in her head somehow, why Ana?

Okay, but what does she do now? Hard to think she should approach when she has no idea what's going on, but she can also see her prize. That's more important than all else, even some personal risk.

Pancake gets settled on the ground, then she rifles through her pockets, producing two larger bone shards.
Then she stands. "Ana?" She says questioningly. She keeps her arms loose at her sides. Pancake shuffles away to the side, keeping hidden in the underbrush.
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Swamp Searching]

"Just let me-" The person that sounds so much Ana reaches out, seemingly moving towards the tooth, but pauses the moment Reilana calls out the name.

She suddenly spins around, impossibly fast. Like how an insect could go from sitting still to being on your foot in the blink of an eye. At which point Reilana will notice something concerning. Since while the girl looks and dresses exactly like Ana her mouth, and much of her clothes, are covered in mostly dried up blood.

"-me." She repeats herself and then Reilana, her voice sounding eerily similar even while she still could recognize it as Ana's. "Ana?" 'Ana's' eyes search around and quickly seems to find the source of the sound. "Me."

Then she smiles at Reilana. Her mouth becoming just a bit too wide than should be physically possible.
Pancake can see death spirits dance around her like flies, though even they seem cautious. As if afraid that she would suddenly swat them away at a moment's notice.
DeBunny

Post by DeBunny »

[Over the Mountains...]

As Rowan makes an effort to defend himself and get things back on track, more of the cookie crumbs float into the distortion.
It doesn't take long for them to begin forming the vague outline of a moderately sized rat.

"Oh, I'm species insensitive. Which one of us is running some sort of indentured servitude scheme that turns its victim into a rodent?"
The rat-like outline gestures to itself with what is presumably a paw.
"Room, board, and a total body reassignment. Yeah, I'm the huge jerk."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Over the Mountains

"It's not indentured servitude! You can say no if you really want to. But the look had to be something small, and rats are adorable. I even made sure it came with a hat that indicates your experience and incredible knowledge.
Besides, it isn't body reassignment. You're a spirit. You don't have a body in the first place; that's the whole point."

Rowan looks around, as if wondering if Granny is still listening. He leans in and whispers,
"Look, I'm sure you've already picked up on the fact that I'm not very smart and I'm new to this stuff. This gig is mostly just keeping me from getting myself killed. And I'm not planning on taking over the city or anything, so you're not going to be in much danger. I promise it's a cushy job if you can just put up with me. And if you want some personal freedom when I'm not on the clock we can work something out."
DeBunny

Post by DeBunny »

[Over the Mountains...]

The cookie crumbs fill in the outline of the rat by this point, giving the general shapes of facial features, coloration, and of course a really dope hat.
Still floating in the air, the cookie-rat puts its little paws on its hips and stares down Rowan with little candy eyes.
"Excuse you, I did-...do have a body! And it's not like a rat at all."
Rowan will probably never find out what it actually looks like.

In a few places, crumbs fall away from the figure, revealing actual rat fur beneath.
"Hm."
It reaches up to adjust the brim of its super fabulous hat, crumbs falling away to reveal proper rat fingers.
"Though, a promise for a cushy job sounds okay."

A promise to a fey spirit probably can't go wrong.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Over the Mountains...

For once, this was actually a dedicated plan by Rowan. It's a very cushy job! As long as the rat can put up with Rowan. Which is, coincidentally, literally the entire job description. Like how being a mathematician is really easy if aside from all the math.
"It's a cushy job aside from dealing with me. But I think we'll get along just fine. And I'm sorry if my design isn't to your liking. What were you before? If it helps, you're absolutely adorable."
Rowan goes over to the oven and takes out the Muffin of Binding.
"We each take a bite of this and that's that."