Inside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Inside

Post by Earl of Purple »

Pontius' Custom Constructs

Earl has no idea if the new form will make it easier for others to hear him, but he'll reply regardless. "It feels... odd. It's perfectly comfortable, more so than it was before. It still feels like home, but it feels strange, too. Like I've just moved into the house I've lived in for decades, you know?" It is an odd feeling, but one Ser Persyval is happy with.

Pontius, meanwhile, immediately goes to check on the forge and bellows. He wants to make sure they weren't damaged; the bellows doesn't usually just stop like that, and whilst he could reanimate it easily he'd prefer that not be necessary.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.

Tags:
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[A Dump in the City]

tunk!

Goes Raheeda's spear into the side of the barrel.

Unfortunately, even as strong as Raheeda is, knocking it over seems to be a bit beyond what she can do with a thrown projectile; not only is it still a large metal barrel, it's filled nearly all the way full with water and some other ingredients, collectively weighing somewhere on the order of five hundred pounds. The spear will hit the barrel with enough force to penetrate (barely), producing a little trickle of foul-smelling garbage water.

"You jackasses are all the same!" The witch snaps, walking around the barrel toward the trapped adventurers. "You all just sit there and mock me. 'Oh, don't mind Apodema, she's not a real witch, she's just some doddered old lady playing with garbage.' Well, I look plenty real to you now, don't I?" She cackles, poking a bony finger at Harley. "I've even got myself a proper coven now. And once I rip the souls from your bodies and present them to my sisters, we'll finally start to get back at this crummy town that always treated us like garbage. Garbage!"

The trash witch (no relation) reaches up toward Harley's head, attempting to pull loose a lock of hair... at about the same time the vapors give out for both him and Raheeda. It turns out, leaking the magic fuel that maintains the spell does horrible things to its duration.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[A Dump in the City]

Drat, even with her strength belt it was no good.

So she's frozen by the vapors and forced to just stare at the witch as she approaches and starts trying to get Harley's hair. Yeah, good luck getting off that helmet first! "Rip out my soul? I wouldn't do that if I were you, lady." Since someone had already called dibs on that but mostly Raheeda was just trying to distracting to see if she could think of-

Then she feels herself getting released by the spell and spends a moment blinking in confusion. Whut?

And in the next moment her fist is going to be impacting with the witch's nose.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Hoofwork]

"If we assume that Intersection has it on good authority that a kumiho DID do this, then that might explain the setup," Morning Glory replies. "The body could potentially be a changeling fashioned from one of the kumiho's stolen identities. Often changelings are meant to be replacements for a living person that has been stolen to deflect attention, but sometimes they're just remains that can stand up to most magical scrutiny. The body is found and it's assumed that's the end of the victim. Usually kumiho don't simply steal people like goblins and mares do, but if they need a mock corpse they have the means to make one."

Hmm...

Maybe?

But it feels like that isn't quite it.

"I feel like we might be at an impasse until we get information from Jade or Intersection itself."

[Touring Inside]

"Maaaaaan you're totally harshing my vibe," the satyr retorts before moping away. It's clear that he's stumbled upon a bunch of squares. The worst possible outcome, clearly.

Then?

Verity begins working on her magic.

Things, of course, almost immediately start going wrong. The first and most obvious problem is that this tree was the physical representation of the three Plum Sisters, the gaiads that were in charge of the park. Now, gaiads are interesting entities. A dryad will inhabit a particular tree. An oread a particular boulder or hill. A naiad a particular stream or spring. But gaiads inhabit a whole biome. A whole landscape. If the various lesser sprites are the countesses and baronesses of a biom then the gaiad is the duchess. Normally this would be her throne. But instead it's vacant.

And vacant in a way that has left it difficult to properly fill.

For power to be tapped in the way Verity is seeking, the throne must not be empty.

The second, and perhaps less obvious problem, is the fact that there is now a black and orange fox sitting on that rock over there. "Well, isn't this a surprise?" the fox hums more to herself than anyone else. She then proceeds to take no further actions. For now.

"Oh! Oh Eu look it's a fox!" Aivu helpfully points out. "Hello miss fox are you a kitsune?"

"No," replies the apparently not-a-kitsune. "But I am scaring away all the other gawkers you would be attracting right now. You're welcome, by the way."

The fox's soul is monstrous, a twisted horror of approximately vulpine shape. That isn't the worst thing about her, though. The worst thing about her is that she's a veritable inferno of stolen souls writhing in a hell of ghostly foxfire. Hundreds, maybe thousands of faces deprived of rest.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

A Dump in the City

The witch can claw at Harley as long as she wants- his hair is safe underneath his rabbit head helmet, and there's absolutely no way to get through that. If she could, he'd thank her.

"You tried to trick us before we did anything! I'm trying to be nice!" Spreading joy is hard when you keep running into people who want to mess up your day.

As the fog thins, Harley stumbles, not expecting the sudden freedom. He's about to lash out at the witch when Raheeda attacks first, and he drops back, ready to charge if the witch recovers and tries another spell.
horses can attack and eat me
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Touring Inside

There's something about the fox that perturbs Henry. It's not that she's not just a fox. That's obvious. It's that she stirs something in him that he actually very rarely feels. Hunger.
"That's considerate of you." Henry says without giving thanks.
"But why would they be scared of you?" he asks, knowing the answer. Because she's some kind of scary fairy, obviously.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Halae »

[Touring Inside]

Verity will attempt to maintain her hold on the ritual while she's speaking. She's faced with a frustrating dilemma; she can't quite take on the power here without taking that 'throne', but she doesn't want any kind of throne. If she wanted that, she'd have stayed in her father's kingdom. Urgh. And even beyond that, she's not sure she has the power for it.

"Is there something you need?" a simple question, though strained as Verity says it given her focus. She's not giving anything or asking anything at the moment, though the swirling black-green lights around her show that she's still working.
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Hoofwork
"Interesting. I didn't know that..." It could explain it. Maybe. "I don't think we'll hear much from Intersection until the trial. I could give the lawyer a call, see if I could talk to Jade." But Jason has another concern. "If the victim's a fake, where's the kumiho now?" Presumably she put on another mask. But would there be any way to find her?
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Touring Inside]

The fox watches Henry.

Her tail flips to the opposite side of the rock.

swish

"Because I'm frightening."

Duh.

"She doesn't look very scary to me," Aivu says.
"No, she's got a pretty nasty vibe," Eu counters. "Something playful. But something dark."

At Verity's question the fox replies, "I need many things. And it appears you need something, too. Perhaps we can help each other get what we need?"

[Hoofwork]

"That's hard to guess," Morning Glory replies, giving her tail a good swish as she thinks. "But let's assume for a moment that Intersection was right and a kumiho did this. Why target Jade to be framed? That's... actually not a hard guess? A kumiho doesn't have their own identity, not really. They aren't someone. They're just a collection of stolen faces. And they usually hate what they are. They covet other people's lives and so they devour them to take their role. They want do be someone again, but they can't. Jade... she escaped that fate. And it isn't hard to imagine the sort bitter envy that learning Jade escaped when they can't might cause. So they make her suffer. But where would they be now?"

A moment passes.

A horrible realization dawns.

"Somewhere close to Jade. They would want to see her suffering, to have her freedom taken away from her."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Hoofwork
"... You're right!" Jason leaps up from his seat and takes a couple steps towards the door. Then he stops. "Wait. Need a plan first. Jade's in jail right now, and since she's a suspected murderer, they'll be watching her closely. She's safe for now, and not just anyone can go see her. So unless the kumiho is an Intersection officer, the first chance she gets would be..." There's a look of realization on his face, "The trial!"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Touring Inside

"I imagine that will vary wildly based on what it is you need." Henry answers, looking at the fox. Something about this smells fishy, and it's not him.
Well maybe it is, but ALSO the fox. In the other sense.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Hoofwork]

"Probably right if Intersection is correct that we're dealing with a kumiho," Morning Glory corrects. "But I know they have diviners on their payroll. And a kumiho is subtle enough to allow just enough information to be gleaned on them while keeping themselves obscured. It would be easy to implicate Jade by hijacking divination, especially with Jade's fur scattered around the apartment."

This... seems like it's coming together.

Morning Glory gives a small laugh. "After Jade got... eaten I went to the library at Arkham Street and found as much information on kumiho as I could. I wanted to know what happened to her and what she was going through. And... maybe find a way to fix it? Thank goodness she managed to escape that fate. But I think all that information is going to come in hoofy now."

...hoofy?

Oh.

Handy.

"I doubt the kumiho would be trying to infiltrate Intersection itself. Not with the security they have. The trial definitely sounds like the most likely chance to watch Jade squirm."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Hoofwork
"That gives us a couple days to prepare," Jason confirms. "Now. Correct me if I'm wrong. The kumiho frames Jade for the crime and shows up at the trial. Would she take an active role, assuming she can? Try to get a chance to gloat? Could we figure out who she is ahead of time?"
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Pontius's Custom Constructs]
quillpleasant wrote: Jul 31, 2023 4:19 am Lia definitely partakes of the water that's offered, alternatively drinking it and splashing it over her mushroom cap while her gaze remains fixed on the forging process.

When the armor is finally finished and the forge's magic fades away, she slowly rises to her feet, closing her eyes for the first time in hours as she stretches. This has been an experience that she doesn't plan on ever forgetting.

She silently walks over to stand next to Sandels, peering down at the shining case. The craftsmanship is as exquisite as it is alien- even basic forging is something Lia would be incapable of doing, let alone the magical ritual.

"That was... Actually, I'm not sure how to describe it. But I'm glad I got to see it," she says finally.
Earl of Purple wrote: Jul 31, 2023 11:32 am Earl has no idea if the new form will make it easier for others to hear him, but he'll reply regardless. "It feels... odd. It's perfectly comfortable, more so than it was before. It still feels like home, but it feels strange, too. Like I've just moved into the house I've lived in for decades, you know?" It is an odd feeling, but one Ser Persyval is happy with.

Pontius, meanwhile, immediately goes to check on the forge and bellows. He wants to make sure they weren't damaged; the bellows doesn't usually just stop like that, and whilst he could reanimate it easily he'd prefer that not be necessary.
Pontius can rest easy. One reason Sandels opted to look for a proper forge was to find a place capable of withstanding his craft. The forge and bellows are fine. If the old gnome gives them a poke, the bellows will start working again. The finality of the spell simply halted them for a moment.

"That's good to hear", Sandels replies to Ser Persyval. The knight could be more audible to the others around, but not by accident. Ser Persyval has joined the Reaper among the ranks of those who have a foot in both worlds, so to speak. He can be heard, if he wants to be heard.

Sandels grabs the suitcase by the handle and picks it up. "Time to take you to your new... employer? Employer is fine." He lifts the case on the hell-horse, hanging it from the saddle. "Take him to Gaul DeGalles", he says to the steed, "you know where to go." The horse nickers and puffs hot steam into the room, then turns and trots out of the workshop, all on its own.

Sandels looks at the now-empty wheelbarrow. He points at it and looks at Lia. "I guess you should go and return those now." Then he goes to Pontius. "Well? Was it worth a watch? Do you have any questions of the process? I can answer if you'd like. I don't want to leave you feeling cheated. You did help me enermously by giving me this opportunity."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Hoofwork]

Morning Glory considers those questions carefully.

"At their heart kumiho are all pretty similar. The way they act is usually impacted at least a little by the faces they prefer to wear. If they have a really virtuous mask that's important to them there's a better chance that they'll be able to hang onto those virtues like Jade did. But in the end bitter, burning envy is what drives them. Jade was fortunate that she got free before who she was got burned up."

MG taps her hoof a few times in thought.

"Assuming that we're not dealing with Smoke since he doesn't seem like he's that far gone yet, we can safely assume this is a kumiho who has had their original identity totally burned away; they have no idea who they were originally. So their only interest in Jade will be making sure she's hurt and KNOWING that she was framed. Kumiho are usually arrogant; they think they're untouchable. So we can try to use that to our advantage."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Touring Inside]

"My friend is correct. Do let us know what you need before we agree to anything; an offer is only acceptable if all stipulations are laid out," Verity states, still maintaining the ritual.
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Hoofwork
"I think Jade already knows she's been framed," Jason points out. "So she'll be close by during the trial. Somewhere where she can experience her victory firsthand. Replacing the judge would be risky. Defense attorney doesn't make sense, it would be too obvious that she's trying to lose. Maybe the prosecutor? Or a witness?"
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Lia blinks as the armor is carried out of the workshop by the horse. "Wait... what? I thought the armor was for you to wear. Who's Gaul DeGalles?" The plot continues to thicken, and all Lia can do is tread water.

She eyes the wheelbarrow with distaste, not exactly eager to haul it to the brooding manor again. Partially because its a long trek and she's exhausted, but also because Hoshiki isn't very high on her list of favorite people at the moment.

But there is another way, one she hasn't tried before. While Sandels and Pontius discuss their deal, she kneels on the floor and breathes out a cloud of spores that settle into a clump. They quickly begin to grow, developing into a single large mushroom about two feet tall. Lia breathes on it again, and it uproots itself, stubby arms and legs separating from its stalk as it stands to attention.

"Follow the hyphae. Bring this wheelbarrow back to Hoshiki," Lia directs, and the small mycoid reaches up to grip the barrow with surprising strength, wheeling it towards the door as it heads for Arkham Street. Lia watches it go with a satisfied expression. Despite losing energy to the heat of the forge, her powers are maturing.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

"Goodbye, everyone! It was a pleasure knowing you." Ser Persyval's voice is audible, and now it is no longer echoing inside his helmet it's not quite as faint as it was before, either. Not that he has much time to say anything, given how quickly he leaves.

"It was interesting. You took a haunted object, and forged it anew, sealing the spirit within to provide it with mystic properties. I think. Nothing there I think I can take advantage of; I know very little of spirits and how to deal with them. But it was very interesting to watch, and it's always interesting to watch another artificer go about their craft- even if it's not something I can replicate directly." Pontius was interested and enjoyed watching it all, though, and smiles happily at Sandals.

Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[A Dump in the City]

crack!

The witch doubles over onto the ground, holding her bleeding and very obviously broken nose, looking up at Raheeda fearfully. "Wait, wait, hold on, I wasn't goi... come on, it was just a j-"

She doesn't get s whole lot further than that before deciding the best course of action here is to probably run. Which she then proceeds to try to do, stumbling to her feet and attempting to bolt in the other direction.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Pontius' Custom Constructs]

Sandels raises an eyebrow at Lia's question. "Hmmm? I didn't tell you who it was for? Guess I didn't." He shrugs. Pontius on the other hand seems satisfied, which is good. "If that is what you think, you are more observant than most", Sandels says to the shop owner. He then does something uncharacteristic and bows. "It was a pleasure. If that is all, I will take my leave."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Lia barely had time to wave before Ser Persyval is carried away. Will they ever meet again? It depends upon who Gaul DeGalles is.

"No, you didn't say. Nor did you tell me who DeGalles is. But I guess you can fill me in on the way." As charming as the construct shop was, Lia is quite happy they'll be on their way soon. "Speaking of which, where's our next destination?"

Turning to Pontius, she dips her cap respectfully. "My thanks for your help. I may return someday."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

"It was a pleasure to watch, as well. Come back any time, either of you." Other than that, Pontius has no need to keep them further, so they're free to leave.

Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[A Dump in the City]

Ow.

People rarely mentioned that a punch usually hurt both parties. Though in this case she was fairly sure the witch had gotten the bad end of that exchange.

"A joke-" Raheeda interrupts herself in the middle of that sentence as the witch starts running away. "We still need to know about Tara!" She yells as she runs after her. Since maybe Tara was a part of that coven she had just mentioned?
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

A Dump in the City

Harley whistles, impressed by the force of the punch. "Nice one!" he says as the witch scuttles away. Oh no, she's getting away!

He breaks into a sprint, trying to make a wide circle to cut her off. Running has always come naturally to Harley, and he's pretty confident in his ability to catch an old lady- although the rough terrain could even things out.

"You threatened to rip out our souls, the least you can do is give us directions!"
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Touring Inside]

The fox's tail flips back to the other side.
swish
"I will arrange to make the magic of this place of power available to you. And I will ensure that your work is not interrupted. And I will help you destroy the entity that you are seeking to unseat. In return, when our common foe is defeated, I will take the entity's Name."

Oh.

Is that all?

Eu raises an eyebrow at that. Someone's name? What does that even mean?

[Hoofwork]

"The prosecutor would probably be too well protected. This is still Intersection we're talking about. A witness seems most likely. Or MAYBE a jury member. But I don't think a jury member would have as much chance to mock Jade as a witness would. So the next question is, but who? Which witness would have the most chance to wound her? If the witnesses are all just..."

Wait.

"The harpy room-mate, maybe? But she might be aware that we've been snooping around, too."

If that's the kumiho then they might be in trouble.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Touring Inside

Henry has a shark intake of breath.
"Okay first, how would you make the magic of this place available to us?" he asks.
"And also heck no you can't have the demon's Name. That would just give you all of its power. And the only reason it hasn't gone full kaiju is because it's bound to my house. "
And even if those bindings stay, the whole point is to STOP having a house bound to a ridiculously powerful magical creature.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[A Dump in the City]

With Raheeda chasing her and Harley moving to intercept, their catching her looks to be a sure thing. They're both a lot faster than she is, and in a matter of maybe fifty meters, they've managed to set up a pincer that'll be sure to catch her...

Right up until she makes a dive for Harley's feet.

Which would be a weird thing to do if she's trying to get away from him, but not as weird as what actually happens; by the time she hits the ground, there's a multi-colored hoard of mice where she was just a moment ago, scurrying around his feet in an attempt to get past him.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Touring Inside]

"And what side-effects would having access to the power of this place in that form impose upon the user?" Verity is on the ball enough to ask. She's the one being bargained with; Henry is right to ask, but the fae knows who the one asking for power is.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[A Dump in the City]

Wow, Harley was fast!

Then again, he was a bun and she had seen him run before.
WROOOM!

But then the witch makes a maneuver she would have never expected of an old lady and- then mice?
She wasn't sure what was going on but her intuition told her to attempt to catch them.

So with that in mind she disrobes.

Her outer green robe that is.

Then she is going to attempt to use it like a web of sort to catch some of the mice.