Vigil

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Re: Vigil

Post by Hraithre »

[Psionics Training]

LB-M rubs her nose contemplatively. ~Best I can describe it, it was like being able to be my own outside observer... which was possible because my avatar and its consciousness was a subset of a larger simulation, which in turn was a reflection of an even larger consciousness, namely you~, she muses, ~I can't really achieve that same mindset from this bag of skin.~
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Psionics Training]

Geneva offers a snorting laugh in reply. "You might be surprised what a bag of skin can do. It's clear that this isn't exactly how you were meant to function; we're treading new ground. But that's the goal of science! To push the boundaries of knowledge."

It's all very exciting.

"Maybe a bit more information might help put things in perspective. What we're doing right now is an attempt to tutor you on the use of a particular application of a pokemon's innate abilities. Colloquially referred to as 'a move'. Psychic, in this case. These moves can be taught through natural growth, through tutoring like we're doing now, or through a pokemon use a technical machine, a device that stores the move data on an integrated hard disk and transfers that data to the pokemon."

Geneva raises a finger at the last point.

"The TM is quite a bit different from the other options. Why do you suppose a pokemon is able to upload data from magnetic storage media?"
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

[The Battered Shield]

Going into a tavern alone is a scary experience.

At least, it is for Awen. What if people see her and think all she does is get drunk all day? Worse, what if people see her and try to talk with her and she doesn't know what to say? What if she actually does get drunk, and then her hair bites someone, or she accidentally challenges someone to a staring contest, or her way-too-sharp fingernails end up cutting someone? Or what if her mechanical hand starts acting up again and then she by mistake summons some shadow tentacle monster and then everyone hates her for destroying the tavern? What if she drunkenly possesses someone and then one of those other members who told her how evil mind control is sees her and then they kick her out of Vigil?

Even as the witch imagines all the things that could go wrong by entering a tavern, she still goes in it and finds a lonely place to sit down.
Like usual, she's got a long dress, a scarf to mostly cover up the scales that have been appearing on her neck, a veil over her eyes, and the snakes of her hair hanging calmly downwards but the unruly rest of her hair is pulled back into a ponytail to keep it from squirming too much.

She sighs.
Why is she only imagining the worst-case scenarios of what could happen?
She contemplates that question as she stares at the battered shields all along the wall.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Psionics Training]

How does anyone learn anything from any storage media? ~They read it, I guess~, LB-M broadcasts, ~but I'd also guess these "technical machines are neither a natural occurrence nor invented by Pokemon themselves.~ Unless humans are a species of Pokemon, which is a discussion for another day. ~So I'd say Pokemon can read them because these "technical machines" were made to be readable to Pokemon. I guess they figured out how to turn Pokemon into data and then how to manipulate that data to the extent of making these moves transferable.~
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Psionics Training]

"They do read it, but that's a little odd since pokemon aren't typically literate," Geneva says. "You're right about the data connection. But pokemon have been stored as data forms even before mass production of pokeballs was ever achieved. Pokemon are by nature data forms, but that begs the question of how we can even exist! How does an abstraction like a data form operate without a storage or processing medium of some kind? And if my natural mew body is a data form then how does it Transform into a physical body like this one?"

She pauses a moment, then raises a single finger.

"Unless?"
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Psionics Training]

LB-M looks stupefied. ~Well I'm inclined to answer that the data isn't abstract at all and is in fact very concrete. The question only makes sense in presumed absence of a conversion process to satisfy all related conservation laws. I'm not sure what it has to do with moving weights around without pelting them with energy. The only way I can think of is altering the weight's movement vector directly, but that would require it to be an object in a simulation, with its informational properties stored in an easily edited register.~
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Psionics Training]

"Or if not a simulation, a data structure comparable to one, but that's quibbling over details," Geneva admits. "Pokemon moves, for the most part, function by altering underlying data of the world around the pokemon. They're executable scripts that trigger a discrete and reproducible effect on the world. The universe runs the instructions and produces the output, though the precise nature of the process is still a subject of ongoing investigations."

Wild.

"You don't know the 'move' Psychic, so you're intuitively trying to adapt the much simpler levitation script to your goal. That's a good place to start. Levitation is a component of Psychic, but not the whole of it. You're missing an important part of the move, namely how to apply to something other than yourself. You're missing the targeting parameters."
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Psionics Training]

~Makes some amount of sense~, LB-M replies, ~a creepy amount of sense, really. My sister told me of a discussion she had with Doctor Bu, about... what did she call them? Modem genes. Her point was that a lot of genetic, ah, potential for psychic power doesn't really have anything to do with power. They're more about making a living thing visible and able to connect to... whatever mechanism runs these instructions you talk about.~ The Light-bearers are all fairly sure the mechanism is some intelligent entity, or, more likely, a plurality of entities.

~It also reminds me of her explanation of that... stunt she did that allowed her to broadcast a message to your mental space. Lots and lots of talk about dimensions and co-ordinates and stuff. So, targeting parameters, as you put it. I'll have to think on it. I'm sure I can figure it after sleeping on it. Might take me a few days. Is there something more you want to tell me?~
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Psionics Training]

"It's a fascinating subject, though the degree to which it carries over on a range of psychic abilities is an ongoing question. The Nexus doesn't make it easy since there are a number of different mutually exclusive systems at play here,"
Geneva admits.

That's the 'all cosmologies are true' problem.

Or feature?

Depending on how you look at it.

Doctor Bu doesn't seem to be a huge fan since it makes reliable scientific knowledge difficult to pin down.

"There's some speculation that information is the fundamental quality of reality rather than matter and that the latter is merely an emergent property of the former, but that's a difficult thesis to actually test."

Which goes without saying.

"I think that'll do for now. You did well in your testing and I think you have quite a bit more potential than what you've displayed thus far. If you're diligent I'm sure you'll be able to unlock a wider range of abilities."
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

[Another Urgent Call]

Wenomir had been anticipating Ana to arrive for her training, but as far as he knows, she's running late. That's unlike her. He may be about to receive an explanation, however, as Kitsuki is calling him, through whatever means he takes calls.
~Images by Soushiyo
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Another Urgent Call]

Wenomir had been feeling a vague sense of unease for a while now. So when the phone rings, he picks it up quickly.

"Commander Wenomir speaking."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Another Urgent Call]

"Wenomir. It's Kitsuki." The woman's voice on the other end of the line sounds frantic. "Please tell me Ana showed up for her lesson."
~Images by Soushiyo
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Another Urgent Call]

The vague foreboding Wenomir has been feeling crystalizes into a realization that something is indeed very wrong. It's good to know he's not simply paranoid.

"She didn't. What happened? Is she missing?"
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Another Urgent Call]

Kitsuki makes a frustrated sound before she replies. "Yes, she ran away when we were on our way to the train. It's not safe for her to be out alone." She definitely sounds more worried than the regular dangers that could be found on city streets would imply.
~Images by Soushiyo
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Another Urgent Call]

That she ran away already indicates something isn't right. Wenomir doesn't know what that is but this isn't the time to ask.

"Where was the last place you saw her? I'll get there and help search for her."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Another Urgent Call]

"I'd appreciate that so much." There's the barest shred of some relief in her voice, which something she needs right now. "We were just walking along Emerald Avenue toward the train station." She adds a bit more specific detail.
~Images by Soushiyo
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Another Urgent Call]

"I'll go there and start going in the direction she fled. See if I can find anything."

Can he find anything? He's not sure, but he has to try. Once the call is over, he'll go change into his armor, take his sword and a pair of binoculars and let Cessie and Kalya know he's headed out on a personal matter.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Matters of Espionage]

When St. Lazarus returns from her mission with Anika, she will soon see Calm Reed. Who is, it seems, meditating in a pool of water. She took her robe off, leaving her in a loincloth and a chest-wrap. The cooling weather and resulting low temperature of water don't seem to bother her. When the knight approaches, she opens her eyes.

"Ah, Saint Lazarus. I see you are back from your mission with Anika."
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Catgirl Abode]

There's a knock on Blanche's door.

A distinctly loud knock that couldn't be anyone by the druid herself. "Hey Blanche! You in there!?"
At the other side of the door Anika turns to Hiep whose standing behind her. "Blanche is a trained soldier so she can come off as a bit strict at first. But she'll warm up to you." The night elf briefly explains before turning to the door again.
Magtok
Pointy Eared Baby Devourer

Post by Magtok »

Morty wrote: Sep 25, 2023 5:34 pm [Matters of Espionage]

When St. Lazarus returns from her mission with Anika, she will soon see Calm Reed. Who is, it seems, meditating in a pool of water. She took her robe off, leaving her in a loincloth and a chest-wrap. The cooling weather and resulting low temperature of water don't seem to bother her. When the knight approaches, she opens her eyes.

"Ah, Saint Lazarus. I see you are back from your mission with Anika."
"Yeah, I- Oh, is this some sort of meditation pool? An Exalted warrior ritual? Is she interrupting by being here, soaked from sallet to sabaton in bits and pieces of the zombie blood? She'd tried her best to clean before she got here, to use her new blood-absorbing magical sword to inhale all the gore and gristle stuck to her armor, but she's sure she missed lots of it. She's presentable enough to walk through the halls of Vigil, but definitely not about to join Calm Reed in the water. She imagines the Exalt would punt her all the way back home to Skyside if she did anything so horrifically callous and rude as bloody the waters like that.

"I'm not interrupting anything, am I?" she asks, instinctively taking a step back and averting her eyes from Calm Reed's mostly naked form. It's not that she feels any sort of weird attraction to Calm Reed, or embarrassment for walking in on her like this. No, it's closer to intimidation than anything. Awe at her incredible demigod form, and shame for her own gangly, rotten, clumsy corpse. Where does a blood-soaked carcass get the audacity to speak to one of Creation's most blessed guardians? Who thought it acceptable that a repugnant zombie, befouled by the stench of the battlefield, should be allowed to stand before the purity of the divine?
"You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
-Daniel H. Wilson
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Catgirl Abode]

"Oh, I don't mind soldiers. I remember that one time.... I'll tell you later."

This is the second time Hiep is in Vigil, but this time she's focused on her surroundings more because she's not distracted by getting back to curtainous activities with Anika.

[Matters of Espionage]

"Oh, no. I was just finished." If Calm Reed notices St. Laz's embarrassment, she doesn't show it. She rises from the pool, water dripping off her limbs. "How did the mission go? I know Anika is a very... direct person. And I see it was violent regardless."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

[Catgirl Abode]

There's a solid 30 seconds before the door opens and Blanche appears in the entranceway, dressed in a white button-up shirt that isn't quite tailored to her. "Er, hey Anika - is something up?" She turns from one woman to the other, quickly assessing her. Hiep can probably see a pistol holstered at her hip.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Catgirl Abode]

Anika raises her hand in a greeting. "Yeah, so I meet this lady at a moonwell the other day." She gestures at Hiep, assuming that she will introduce herself. "And we fought of some creatures calling themselves 'phyrexians' who were trying to claim it for themselves. So we decided to try to find out more about these case guys and apparently they're demon-golems or that other word for them. Either way, uh, I figured that Ilpholin might know more about them."

She pauses as to let all that sink in.

"But... Vigil isn't a fan of her so I wanted to ask you about it first."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Catgirl Abode]

"Yeah, what she said. And my name's Hiep." Blanche may or may not remember it for long. She's definitely got the look of a rough and tumble soldier type, but right now she seems to be dressed fancy.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Catgirl Abode]

The way Blanche scowls at the very mention of Ilpholin's name is probably a bad sign. "'Not a fan' is one way of putting it, An. Ilpholin's been up to some shady shit recently." Hiep earns a brief nod by way of greeting and a short "Blanche," but Anika's question is clearly a bit too consuming for Blanche to break focus from.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Catgirl Abode]

"Oh? Like what?" Anika inquires, looking concerned.
Magtok
Pointy Eared Baby Devourer

Post by Magtok »

Morty wrote: Sep 27, 2023 6:04 pm[Matters of Espionage]

"Oh, no. I was just finished." If Calm Reed notices St. Laz's embarrassment, she doesn't show it. She rises from the pool, water dripping off her limbs. "How did the mission go? I know Anika is a very... direct person. And I see it was violent regardless."
The zombie knight sighs, taking a seat on the edge of the pool, back turned towards Calm Reed as she sets her new sword in her lap. The obsidian of Tiamat's Tooth shines with a strange silver iridescence, its magic attuning her ears to every heartbeat and pulse in the room. There is no living thing that could sneak up on Saint Lazarus now, not so long as she's paying attention to the thrum and rhythm of the world around her, the blood pumping in every body in the vicinity.

"Well, there was some good and some bad," Jen answers uncertainly, trying to tune out the blood and focus on the conversation. She's uncertain how well Calm Reed knows Anika's goldfish brain, how well they know each other, whether they're the best of friends or just casual acquaintances, so she has to be careful what she says here. Jenette knows full well she's not the wisest scholar in the Nexus either, that her own approach to problem-solving depends heavily on brutish, grotesque violence and swift, demoralizing terror strikes. So she can't just say that Anika is as clueless and naive as the bear she transforms into, that would be rude.

"We saved the day, but it was exhausting. I found a new magical sword, but only after losing my old one, and I think it might be evil? I found an opportunity to ask Anika about her girlfriend's family, and whether she can be trusted to choose Vigil over evil parents, but Anika had no idea what I was talking about and now she thinks I have a crush on Blanche," Jen makes a face at that, utterly repulsed by the idea of laying with that obvious double-agent. That catgirl has the creepiest thousand yard stare; she probably dissects mice in her spare time.
"You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
-Daniel H. Wilson
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Matters of Espionage]

Calm Reed begins to towel off as she listens to Saint Lazarus.

"Blanche's evil family? Do you mean Reinholdt being her father? His notoriety predates me, but I understand it was considerable. Are you concerned she is loyal to him? I fear getting an answer out of Anika may prove difficult either way. She is... not one to be concerned with such things."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Catgirl Abode]

"She led an attack on Hell Bend, Anika. On civilians." It isn't an outburst, her voice is low and focused. But there's an intensity behind Blanche's eyes and a tension in her muscles that sells just how deeply this matters to her.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Catgirl Abode]

Anika blinks. "What?" The intensity in Blanche's voice makes her unable to just brush it off as a misunderstanding. This was real.

"...when?" She almost added a 'why' but the catgirls expression gave her more than enough of an answer.