Inside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Artemis
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Inside

Post by Artemis »

[Loran Jewelers]

Renault holds up his hands. "No I understand entirely." He sighs, "It's not all bad, my power has increased immensely."

Tags:
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Loran Jewelers

"Well, I think I just increased immensely." Rowan snickers.
"You're probably one of the cool looking dragons. Like my boss Cornelius. And get to do magics that aren't pie-based." You can do a lot of cool magics with pies, he swears!
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Touring Inside]

"I know people say 'don't split the party' but we're obviously not in a dungeon," Eu replies, before waving a hand vigorously at a shade poking at places it really shouldn't. "Technically. Aivu and I will keep up our search slash touring. Once you two have got things figured out with your family just find a door somewhere, knock on it, and yell 'HEY EUDAEMONIA ARE YOU HOME!?' and I'll find you. Doesn't really matter where the door is."

It is, in Eu's opinion, a really useful skill to have.

Sounds like they have a plan kind of maybe?

[Auction]

Yes.

That clown.

No one really likes the clown. His maddening power set makes any sort of direct confrontation with him basically impossible. Thankfully he's no Joker, killing people for giggles. He's more one of those Golden Age villains taking the city's supply of candy canes hostage or intruding upon serious situations to make a nuisance of himself. Even calling him a villain as such might not be correct.

Regardless!

"I'll have a ceasar salad. With eggs, no meat," Morning replies.

"Of course," the robot waiter says before heading off.

[Titania Park]

"It's not an action movie," Khannie retorts as the stage is rearranged behind the curtain of fog. "It's a love story. Killing the dad wouldn't make anything better, anyway."

Meanwhile!

Lapis looks concerned! "They're just pretending, right? Like in a movie? Mister Egus isn't really going to kill Miss Hermia if she doesn't marry Mister Demetrius?"

As is often the case Lapis just isn't quite sure what to make of anything that is even tangential to deception, guileless creature that she is.

"It's pretend. Like reading a story book, but they're acting out the story for us to watch," Zee gently clarifies. Lapis isn't very old and exposing her to a wider array of things is no doubt good for her. Staying at VIGIL all the time means she misses out on some of the more entertaining parts of mortal life.

Tori's question will have to wait a little while longer. Because first? The curtain rises once again to reveal the Rude Mechanicals! The amateur actors from Athens are discussing the grand dramatic tragedy of the most lamentable comedy and most cruel death of Pyramus and Thisbe! The only problem is they are clearly all quite silly. Nick Bottom wants to play THREE characters at once, but obviously that wouldn't work out. Snug, who seems a bit slow, is alright with being the dopey lion since all he has to do is make roaring noises. Francis Flute seems a bit put off that he's going to have to play the female Thisbe. They all banter back and forth rather goofily, clearly the comic relief for the play to counter-point the heavy subject of unrequited love!

The actors decide that they shall meet again in the forest near Thebes, exactly where the love quadrangle is headed. No doubt that will lead to some mischief.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

[brackets lover] wrote: Aug 19, 2023 6:32 pm [Titania Park]

"Well, you don't need magic to make illusions. Ever hear of ninjas? Not to mention some really skilled artists, kupo," says Mogzoku right as the play begins, leading him to quiet up and watch intently by Venus' side. Occassionally, he'd look back to Venus, analyzing how well she enjoyed his company.
Mogzoku stared wide-eyed as the scene ended, the excitable moogle puffing out his cheeks in anticipation. "Poor Hermia! Being forced to marry someone you don't want to must be terrible, kupo..."

[Titania Park]

Venus watches the first act.
It's a pretty complex story so far, with lots of different moving parts. But! Love, unrequited love, and so on - it's pretty interesting. So far, she likes it and is pretty absorbed into it. Sure, it's a little melodramatic, but it's still pretty good.

"I've heard of ninjas, but never met any," she answers in a whisper.

Honestly, she does enjoy the company. She does give off the impression that she would've been okay with anybody, though. She doesn't like being alone, so having someone to just watch it with her and talk about it is good enough.

"I know!" she replies, during the intermission. "It's so awful. I hope she manages to get together with her guy. I can't really see how it's going to get there, though." She lays out on the rock, and...sticks her hand inside the rock for a moment, just to get a feel for the area around.

With the rise of the curtain, she turns back to look at the stage. She...doesn't quite get what this part has to do with the play, at least until the end of the scene. "Huh. I wonder what's going to happen when they all meet," she whispers to Mogzoku.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Touring Inside

"Well, if you guys want to find more people, you are welcome to. But like I said, I can't really offer a huge dramatic reward. This might leave us all homeless so I can't even promise a big chunk of money if it goes badly. So um. Thanks again for helping me."
Henry does appreciate people doing quests for him with little to no potential reward. But he's not sure they'll easily find more people who are as powerful and generous.
Artemis

Post by Artemis »

[Loran Jewelers]

"Cool looking?" Renault echoes. "Perhaps. I haven't exactly seen my draconic form in a mirror. Though there was that one time I switched bodies with someone."

[Titania Park]

For a moment, Raril's concerned that someone may actually die, as it was with some drow productions. Zee seems certain that it was all for pretend, even though Fey could be ruthless.

For her part, Tori knows the play, and isn't worried at all. She just laughs at the jokes, entirely relaxed.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Loran Jewelers

Rowan smiles, making a show of pulling up on his belly to show off his cartoonish physique.
"Well, unless you're also of the particularly soft and kid-friendly varieties like me, you're probably cooler looking than me."
The body swap comment has him blink. "That sounds like a weird magical incident." The Nexus has lots of those.
Artemis

Post by Artemis »

[Loran Jewelers]

"It was." Renault agrees. "A river spirit objected to me and a young man looking for gold in her river and decided to try and be funny."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Loran Jewelers

”Naturey spirits and fey can be awful lot like. But I guess it beats trying to flay your soul.”
He glances down at his familiar as if expecting an objection but gets none. Ratticus is aware of fey nature.
”I think once I have my staff I’d like to go on an adventure if anyone will have me. I know I won’t be as useful as a proper mage but I think I can help. I don’t really know much about the local guilds though and if they’d accept me.”
Adventuring guilds are usually pretty famous for their lack of hiring requirements. There’s even a guild hall in Inside specifically for large folks who quite literally won’t fit in elsewhere.
Artemis

Post by Artemis »

[Loran Jewelers]

"A big strong guy like yourself?" Renault asks. "I'm sure they'd be lining up to get you to sign up. And helping? Do what you can when you can with what you've got. Don't worry if it's enough. A rock erodes one grain of sand at a time."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

Rebonack wrote: Aug 20, 2023 5:13 pm [Touring Inside]

"I know people say 'don't split the party' but we're obviously not in a dungeon," Eu replies, before waving a hand vigorously at a shade poking at places it really shouldn't. "Technically. Aivu and I will keep up our search slash touring. Once you two have got things figured out with your family just find a door somewhere, knock on it, and yell 'HEY EUDAEMONIA ARE YOU HOME!?' and I'll find you. Doesn't really matter where the door is."

It is, in Eu's opinion, a really useful skill to have.

Sounds like they have a plan kind of maybe?
Keeper wrote: Aug 21, 2023 2:33 am Touring Inside

"Well, if you guys want to find more people, you are welcome to. But like I said, I can't really offer a huge dramatic reward. This might leave us all homeless so I can't even promise a big chunk of money if it goes badly. So um. Thanks again for helping me."
Henry does appreciate people doing quests for him with little to no potential reward. But he's not sure they'll easily find more people who are as powerful and generous.
[Touring Inside]

"I'm not here for a reward," Verity says, waving it off, "I said I'd help and that means I'll help; nobody should be at the mercy of the kind of entity holding your soul. Eu, if you need to offer incentive to any potential recruits for this cause, I'd be willing to spare some magic. I'm reasonably skilled in enchanting, and have many spells and rituals related to souls."
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Artemis wrote: Aug 21, 2023 5:35 am [Loran Jewelers]

"A big strong guy like yourself?" Renault asks. "I'm sure they'd be lining up to get you to sign up. And helping? Do what you can when you can with what you've got. Don't worry if it's enough. A rock erodes one grain of sand at a time."
Loran Jewelers

"Oh, I'm big but not that strong." Rowan insists, entirely falsely. Like his teeth and claws, his strength is another factor hidden behind his appearance. But he hasn't really thought to test it.
"Well, thank you. I guess you can just call me when it's ready. And I'll make sure I have tarts waiting for you."
Artemis

Post by Artemis »

[Loran Jewelers]

"Thank you." Renault says, grinning. "I'll be sure to drop by the bakery tomorrow to look at the peels and then I can get started. We know where to find each other." The elf adds. "So don't worry, I'll get it done as soon as I can." And the little secret project too, he doesn't say aloud.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

Titania Park
"He's not forcing me to marry against my will," Mary replies to Agate, "Would you really rather marry who your da wants you to than who you really love?" But that doesn't matter right now because the play has shifted focus to the actors. At least this is something Mary can appreciate. "I'd like to see him try to play 3 characters," she snickers.
Who knows? Maybe that particular fae is already playing multiple characters? With their mask nonsense it's not improbable.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Loran Jewelers

"Thanks. I'll just make sure you get your payments in the meantime." the dragon promises as he carefully exits.
And Renault will get his payments. At least the easy ones at first. A tart, meat pie, or pastry on his doorstep at opening time each day for the rest of the month. Who knows how early Rowan had to get up to deliver them? They're shockingly good and more than a little addictive. Especially considering Rowan has only really been in this business for a matter of weeks.

And of course when the month is over and Renault is done Rowan returns to the shop, with a little cart of pies to go along with the cash payment, waving cheerily.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by [brackets lover] »

Rebonack wrote: Aug 20, 2023 5:13 pm [Titania Park]

"It's not an action movie," Khannie retorts as the stage is rearranged behind the curtain of fog. "It's a love story. Killing the dad wouldn't make anything better, anyway."

Meanwhile!

Lapis looks concerned! "They're just pretending, right? Like in a movie? Mister Egus isn't really going to kill Miss Hermia if she doesn't marry Mister Demetrius?"

As is often the case Lapis just isn't quite sure what to make of anything that is even tangential to deception, guileless creature that she is.

"It's pretend. Like reading a story book, but they're acting out the story for us to watch," Zee gently clarifies. Lapis isn't very old and exposing her to a wider array of things is no doubt good for her. Staying at VIGIL all the time means she misses out on some of the more entertaining parts of mortal life.

Tori's question will have to wait a little while longer. Because first? The curtain rises once again to reveal the Rude Mechanicals! The amateur actors from Athens are discussing the grand dramatic tragedy of the most lamentable comedy and most cruel death of Pyramus and Thisbe! The only problem is they are clearly all quite silly. Nick Bottom wants to play THREE characters at once, but obviously that wouldn't work out. Snug, who seems a bit slow, is alright with being the dopey lion since all he has to do is make roaring noises. Francis Flute seems a bit put off that he's going to have to play the female Thisbe. They all banter back and forth rather goofily, clearly the comic relief for the play to counter-point the heavy subject of unrequited love!

The actors decide that they shall meet again in the forest near Thebes, exactly where the love quadrangle is headed. No doubt that will lead to some mischief.
[Titania Park]

"In ancient times, the actors really would die for real when their characters did," Asami rudely adds as an aside as the curtain is actively rising, mischievously trying to confuse Lapis by telling her concepts she wouldn't understand in a situation where she wouldn't even be able to explain fully. The thought that Lapis would just have to stew on that amused Asami.
Thursday Violist wrote: Aug 21, 2023 2:29 am

[Titania Park]

Venus watches the first act.
It's a pretty complex story so far, with lots of different moving parts. But! Love, unrequited love, and so on - it's pretty interesting. So far, she likes it and is pretty absorbed into it. Sure, it's a little melodramatic, but it's still pretty good.

"I've heard of ninjas, but never met any," she answers in a whisper.

Honestly, she does enjoy the company. She does give off the impression that she would've been okay with anybody, though. She doesn't like being alone, so having someone to just watch it with her and talk about it is good enough.

"I know!" she replies, during the intermission. "It's so awful. I hope she manages to get together with her guy. I can't really see how it's going to get there, though." She lays out on the rock, and...sticks her hand inside the rock for a moment, just to get a feel for the area around.

With the rise of the curtain, she turns back to look at the stage. She...doesn't quite get what this part has to do with the play, at least until the end of the scene. "Huh. I wonder what's going to happen when they all meet," she whispers to Mogzoku.
There would be no signs that Mogzoku noticed Venus sticking her hand into the rock. He would treat her like he would a normal, non-upper class woman with no supernatural powers. "I bet Demetrius is gonna challenge Lysander to a swrod fight," Mogzoku whispers back.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

[brackets lover] wrote: Aug 21, 2023 6:45 pm [Titania Park]

There would be no signs that Mogzoku noticed Venus sticking her hand into the rock. He would treat her like he would a normal, non-upper class woman with no supernatural powers. "I bet Demetrius is gonna challenge Lysander to a swrod fight," Mogzoku whispers back.

[Titania Park]

Venus's hand doesn't stay in the rock for long; it's out now.

"Doesn't it make more sense for Lysander to challenge Demetrius instead?" Venus asks in a whisper. "I mean, maybe he's thinking that if he proves that he can protect the girl better, he'll convince the father to change his mind."

She thinks a little more and watches a little more, and then adds, "Or maybe we'll see Helena challenge Hermia to a sword fight. That'd be a lot more interesting, I think."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Titania Park

"No. But my dads aren't kings trying to keep a whole bunch of people safe and not at war." Politics with kings often involve weddings or war. Often one is used to avert the other, which is something Mary should maybe start to think about as a princess. Not that Prumathe is a king, exactly; he doesn't think of himself as one, anyway.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Wandering the Streets]
quillpleasant wrote: Aug 12, 2023 7:45 pm
► SHOW SPOILER
"Oh, there are plenty of people who fear what awaits them on the other side", Sandels comments as they walk, "though it often happens those who should be afraid fear the least, or at least don't fear enough to change their ways. But, I do think your story has a moral. You might not just see it yet."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

Wandering the Streets

"Hm, I suppose a lot of people fear their afterlives. But usually it's hell, or the equivalent, that they fear. Not heaven." Lia looks up at the sky and shrugs. "And maybe you're right. I'd like there to be a moral. They make things a lot simpler."

The mycoid girl glances slyly at Sandels. "Of course, there's something to be said for complexity too. Things are never simple with you, are they? Maybe that's why I enjoy your company so much."
horses can attack and eat me
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Wandering the Streets]

Sandels laughs. "For most people who care about such things, it is Hell. But you'd be surprised how many people fear Heaven, or at least their conception of it. One girl explained to me once how anxious the thought of eternity made her, and how happy she was knowing there is nothing after death. Then she died."

When Lia says she enjoys his company, he shakes his head. "You know, maybe you should think a while longer about the story I told you. And the one you told me, as well. I think you're developing a huge blind spot." When he says that, he suddenly stops and slams a fist to his palm. "Speaking of blind spots. I think I have to call Mister Detective. Tell me if you see a phone..."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Wandering the Streets

"Nothing after death... now that sounds peaceful." Lia's eyes turn wistful as she contemplates the concept. "I'm... happy for her."

She shakes her head, coming back from wherever she had gone. "A blind spot, you say? With all these eyes?" The eyes around her mushroom cap blink in unison. "No, I may be a hopeless romantic, but I know exactly what I'm doing. Even if I'm making bad decisions, at least it's me making them." She's about to say something else, but bites her lip to cut it off, clearly amused.

Lia scans the area, then points out a rusted payphone at the side of the street. "That's a phone, right? I've been studying."
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Wandering the Streets]

Sandels give Lia a side glance, then looks away shaking his head. He doesn't say more before Lia points out the phone box to him. "Hot damn! Haven't seen one of these in years!", he exclaims as he walks to it. "Doesn't look like it's been maintained very well. What do you think, does it still work?" He picks up the horn and starts fiddling with the coin slot, or whatever the phone has that passes for one.

In a few moments, Detective Michalson's phone ought to be ringing. He does have a phone somewhere, right? If not, the detective will be in for a surprise when the person closest to him who does have a phone suddenly informs him that he has a call...
Morty
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Wandering the Streets]

Fortunately (or perhaps unfortunately if Sandels would have found the alternative amusing), Michalson does pick up the phone promptly. A tired man's voice answers.

"Detective Michalson Barring here."
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Touring Inside]

"I really don't care about wealth-"
"I'll take any shinies you want to give away!"
"-since I have basic needs all covered. I'm interested in adventure and hopefully there are a few like minded individuals around here. C'mon Aivu, we've got some searching to do. Keep an eye out for any mysterious street beggars with mystic powers or a rogue with a heart of gold, we haven't got one of those yet."

With a wave Eu will head off on her mission to find some more people to help thwart a demon!

Now Henry just has an even greater task to overcome.

Chatting with his family.

[Titania Park]

But Lapis isn't concerned what happened a long time ago! She's concerned what's happening right now! Tori is right, though. No one dies in this play. It's all 'fun' mostly had at the expense of the mortals. However, of course, there isn't a single mortal in the play!

Meanwhile, Khannie confides in her friend that, "In the time this play's set ALL the actors where guys, so a guy playing a lady was normal. I dunno if Shakespear knew that's how it worked or not."

One way or the other, the curtain rises once again and THIS time it isn't only the curtain of fog that rises.

It's as if a veil is lifted over the whole world, peeling away mundane reality and revealing a world of dreams cast under an eternal twilight where dewdrops glisten with the captured light of the full moon. The sky is completely obscured by the twisting branches of massive gnarled oak trees, the moonbeams filtering through the leaves and leaving lucent trails hanging in the mist.

Titania and Oberon now stand on the stage surrounded by their faerie courtiers, Titania clutching her changeling which Oberon covets.

The face of the changeling is the face of that Child You Know. A son or a daughter, perhaps. A friend or a relative. Someone you would miss dearly if they had been taken.

Lapis bristles at the change, looking around suspiciously. "This is the Dreamlands," she whispers. "Not the real world anymore."
Zee, on the other hand, is conspicuously absent.

When the veil lifts Khannie's teen girl illusion is stripped away and her kumiho aspect shoved to the fore. The monstrous fox seems pretty surprised by this! "What the heck," she mutters as all of a sudden she's dealing with a whole mess of floofy tails when before she wasn't.

And finally?

Zee is left sitting on top of an old rotten log in the midst of an empty lot scattered with dead shrubs and rubbish. She blinks, looking around in confusion. "Umm... Hello? Where-"

A beat.

"Oh goody that got yanked into the Dreamlands, didn't they?"

Zee is too big to fit in the Dreamlands!
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Wandering the Streets

Lia watches curiously as Sandels dials. She understands that phones work, but now exactly how. It must be something to do with spores, of course.

As the detective answers, she leans forward a little towards the phone and speaks rather loudly. "Michalson, it's us! We're calling about... what are we calling about, actually?" she looks up at Sandels curiously.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

Titania Park
"Woooah." Mary's never seen fae stuff like this. On the other hand, Sekhmet looks far more concerned. "Remember the rules. Don't eat anything, don't say 'Thank you,' and above all, don't tell anyone your name."
Furthermore she's really creeped out by the changeling up there. It looks exactly like her son, and that's terrifying, even if she's pretty sure it's a trick.
And Mary finally notices that she's sitting next to a fox monster.
"Khannie, are you... All right?"
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Artemis

Post by Artemis »

Keeper wrote: Aug 21, 2023 3:38 pm Loran Jewelers

"Thanks. I'll just make sure you get your payments in the meantime." the dragon promises as he carefully exits.
And Renault will get his payments. At least the easy ones at first. A tart, meat pie, or pastry on his doorstep at opening time each day for the rest of the month. Who knows how early Rowan had to get up to deliver them? They're shockingly good and more than a little addictive. Especially considering Rowan has only really been in this business for a matter of weeks.

And of course when the month is over and Renault is done Rowan returns to the shop, with a little cart of pies to go along with the cash payment, waving cheerily.
[Loran Jewelers]

Renault spots him outside and brings out the staff, or massive peel as it were. It was made of fresh white pine and shod in copper, especially around the pale pink crystal at the point where the shaft and paddle met. It was a Loran crystal, unique to Renault's desert homeland, especially good at channeling, focusing, and storing magics.

"Hello Rowan," The desert elf greets the dragon. "I see you have a lot of good things for me, today." He eyed the pies on the cart greedily. "And I have something for you!" He holds out the staff with a flourish. "All complete. I've included a reinforcement charm, to keep it from breaking." He adds. "No extra charge."

[Titania Park]

Tori looks around as the veil is lifted. "Beautiful..." She says, entranced.

Raril is more shocked by the changeling child. It reminded him strongly of his grandson, Nalhrae. His ears twitch as Lapis pronounced they were in the dreamlands. The drow lets out a low growl. "Zee are we in... danger?" But his wife wasn't there. He spat a curse in his native tongue.

"Alright, everyone, stay close. And for gods' sakes don't tell anyone your name."

Victoria frowned, wrapping her wings around herself awkwardly. "Uncle, they've put on this play before, without any trouble, what if this is just... part of that?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Loran Jewelers

"Hi Renault!" Rowan says cheerily, wheeling in the cart.
"I brought the last of your material payment. And my checkbook. I hope you've been keeping up with your exercise with all those pastries I sent you." Rowan makes a show of glancing at Renault's middle, knowing full well that a full size dragon like Renault could not possibly have had any effects from a mere thirty pastries even if the shapeshifting was affected.
"It's beautiful, Renault. Um. Do you want me to...?" Rowan fishes through his apron for his checkbook. Renault did say he'd give Rowan the staff once he was paid.
Artemis

Post by Artemis »

[Loran Jewelers]

"Oh here, come into the courtyard and give it a few test swings. I want to make sure your satisfied before giving me that final payment."

Renault leads Rowan to a door in the back of the shop, which opens onto a tiled courtyard. In the North East corner was a large twisted fruit tree, giving shade to the whole courtyard. On the west wall a small fountain burbled away. Near the coolness provided by the fountain, was a pair of wrought iron chairs and a matching round table. Directly across the courtyard, on the North wall, was another doorway, leading into Renault's workshop.

"Plenty of room out here." The elf declares.