Riverside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Re: Riverside

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Park

Rowan blinks.
”You don’t look undead to me. Or smell it.”
Though if he’s been sleeping in parks he might not smell that fresh either.
”Pretty sure I’m definitely alive. Granny doesn’t hire dead mortals.”
He glances between Simon and down at himself which Simon keeps staring at.
”Is there something up? Oh no, is it the vest? I was told I need to stop worrying about pants like a human so I tried going out without a cloth I can put on my apron if it’s making you uncomfortable…” he’s back to rummaging through his bag.

Tags:
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

Butterfly Park

Simon chuckles nervously. There's clearly a miscommunication here.

"I wasn't talking about being undead... unless being a ghost is undead? I think that only counts if they're back on the physical world, instead of in the afterlife though. But yeah, I meant us being in the afterlife." Because that's clearly where they are. Of course.

"Oh god no, your vest is cute! I mean, we're dragons, clothes are pretty much optional, right? Like dogs." Simon shrugs, which for a snakey creature like him is quite a process. "No I mean, sorry, it's just that I haven't seen many dragons before. I mean, in the flesh. You're the second one I've met, actually."
horses can attack and eat me
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Park

Rowan smiles at the compliment but is clearly still confused.
”Nnno? Not that either. I was born and raised in this world. Oh shoot, did you come to the Nexus because something bad happened to you? I read about that online once. I’m sorry you had to go through that.”
If Simon expresses any confirmation he might find himself being gently hugged. Which is a little forward for someone he just met but what can you do?
”You’re not dead though.”
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

Gullara wrote: Aug 26, 2023 5:02 pm [Youthful Indiscretions]

Eliseo resists the urge to laugh some more. Instead he leans back a bit, seeming to consider this. "Makes sense. You've got a lot going for you. You'll probably get scooped up." He makes no remark on how she's ended more relationships than most people start in their high school years. Probably for the best that he ease off a bit. He's been a bit loose lipped tonight as is.
[Youthful Indiscretions]

Atsede nods. It's unclear just how self-aware she is that despite her game, she has an abysmal track-record with her relationships. Although, once you have a list of the whole cheer team, that's unsurprising. Romance doesn't often sprout through working through a list.

She leaned back, stretching. "Reckon you can avoid getting grounded again?"
Bismark wrote:Silence, birb-wench.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Butterfly Park

"I mean yeah, dying is pretty bad," begins Simon confusedly. He's still processing this information when hug! Simon's scales are warm to the tough, and he has a slightly smoky smell not unlike a campfire.

"Oh, thanks dude," he says, hugging Rowan back for a couple moments before taking a step back and turning his head quizzically. "Okay, so, what you're saying is that this isn't heaven? Because I assumed it was since it's really great, plus the whole dragon thing." Simon's eyes widen in realization. "Does that mean you're a real dragon? Not that I'm not," he adds hastily. "But I guess I assumed everyone was in whatever form they most wanted to be."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Park

Rowan sighs.
”Well, I am definitely a dragon, but this isn’t what I’d like most to be. If I had a choice I’d look strong like Cornelius or handsome like you and not…” he frustratingly pokes at his middle. ”Like the neighborhood dopey dad who likes cooking a little too much. I’m barely old enough to drink in some places! And I didn’t even get to gain all this weight the fun way.”
By sitting on his butt eating pastries for a year. Then he could at least say it was worth it.
”And that’s not even talking about my tail which is way too big and I trip over it. Oh but uh. Sorry. I don’t meant to dump all this on you. Do you um. Need any help? I don’t have a ton of cash but I do have a roof to sleep under and you’re a Nexus newbie so you don’t even have that. I can’t leave you to just sleep under trees.”
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Butterfly Park

Simon's confusion swiftly gives way to indignation as Rowan self deprecates. "Hey man, you're way too hard on yourself, you know? You're cute, plenty of people would kill for a bod like yours!"

He scratches a horn thoughtfully. "I don't know who Cornelius is, but I do know there's nothing wrong with being any weight." He doesn't mention the handsome comment, but he is thinking about it.

"And oh, that's really cool of you dude! I'd never ask to mooch off a fellow dragon's hoard, but, well." He glances around with a grimace.

"Let's just say that I'm still getting used to being cold blooded vis a vis the morning dew. So I can't exactly say no to a roof, if that's a legit offer and you're not just being polite."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Park

”I mean, if there are I haven’t met any.” He shakes his head. ”Sorry. If Ratticus were here he’d tell me to stop infringing on his job.”

He glances down at Simon.
”You can stay with me a little bit if you’re clean. You leave any gross messes we’re going to have a problem. And you’re going to have to look for a job because I can’t just feed another dragon forever.” he says sternly.

”But that’s mostly it. It’s in the next city over, Inside. I live with my old roommate Frank. He’s human but kinda cursed? Weird stuff always happens around him. And my familiar Ratticus. He’s a rat. He’s a huge jerk but he’s a total softie if you pay attention. Never tell him I said that.”

He smiles, clicking his claws together.
”You okay with that?”
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Butterfly Park

Simon hesitates for a moment, not because the offer isn't good, but because it seems too good to be true. But Rowan doesn't seem like the kind of person who's capable of much deception, so Simon nods enthusiastically.

"Dude, that sounds great! I'm a very clean guy, and money can't be hard to come across for a dragon. I don't mind roomies either, I've lived with some pretty nasty people so this'll be an upgrade for sure. You won't regret this, I promise!" He grins widely, showing all his very white, very sharp teeth.

"You know, you're a pretty cool guy. Not just anyone would be this kind to a random stranger. No one I knew, for sure."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Park

Rowan looks like he's trying to work out one more thing.
"Oh, well there is one catch. I'm a bakery warlock like I said. I'm bound to a fey named Granny Elkthorn. She's nice for a fey but that still means she's Bad Friggin News and has probably eaten a few people. Just that she doesn't have any interest in eating my soul. She's the reason I've got my Theme going on...but she's got this whole Grandmother shtick going on so she hasn't done anything to anyone I care about. Not even Frank who jumped through her window once." There go his claws again. Click click click.

"But I understand if you'd rather not associate with someone like that."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Butterfly Park

Simon nods understandingly at the story. "This might sound weird, but I've dealt with people eating each other a lot before. So I don't think this Elkthorn is a deal breaker." He bobs his head playfully. "Plus I'm a dragon, I'm badass! No one could mess with me even if they tried. But yeah, I won't bother her, don't worry." His confidence seems to be both high and misplaced.

"So, you wanna show me this crib now? Or are you completing important errands first or something?
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Park

Rowan blinks at that one.
"I mean I can get us riftline tickets in a second but hang on can we back up a second? What do you mean you've dealt with cannibalism a lot before?"
Somehow that's even more strange than what Rowan has been casually bringing up!
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

Meowmai wrote: Aug 31, 2023 7:43 am [Youthful Indiscretions]

Atsede nods. It's unclear just how self-aware she is that despite her game, she has an abysmal track-record with her relationships. Although, once you have a list of the whole cheer team, that's unsurprising. Romance doesn't often sprout through working through a list.

She leaned back, stretching. "Reckon you can avoid getting grounded again?"
[Youthful Indiscretions]

"Oh I'm fucked." Eliseo replies nonchalantly. "Best I can hope for is that Ana's parents aren't upset with me. Unless I'm so charming that they neglect to tell mine. I'm not sure Obriane's as easygoing as Kitsuki, though."
~Images by Soushiyo
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Butterfly Park

"Oh yeah, that's weird, right? Kind of buried the lede on that one." Simon rocks back on his tail, sucking in air over his teeth as he thinks.

"Well, it wasn't exactly cannibalism, but I did die by being eaten. Not fun, let me tell you." He shudders at the memory.

"But also... long story short, I have six siblings. Had? Most of them were criminals to varying degrees, some more violent than others. One of them, my brother Septimus, was a cannibal. Which, surprisingly enough, didn't even make him the worst of the bunch." He clicks his claws together nervously.

"But trust me, I am absolutely nothing like them. I'm the most peace loving dude around, wouldn't hurt a fly!" He twists uncomfortably, and for a moment seems to flicker like a glitched video. Well that's odd.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Park

"Holy shit dude. That's fucked up." Rowan remarks flatly, which probably sounds very funny coming out of his otherwise goofy child-friendly face.
"Ahem. Well. Everyone knows you don't lie to witches. So if you look me in the eyes and tell me you're no killer than I believe you. But don't tell Frank I said that because he'll tell me I'm being too trusting." But he does seem to be expecting that promise.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Butterfly Park

Simon chuckles nervously. "Yeah, yeah it is. Part of why I'm so glad to be here, to escape all that."

He stills his fidgeting, and looks directly at Rowan with his large, deep green eyes. "You have my word. I don't think I could kill someone even in self defense." He sighs deeply. "I can't control who I'm related to, but their actions are no reflection of mine. I was actually on the run from them when I died." Perfect way to escape, really, a one way ticket to the afterlife.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Park

"Okay good!" Simon is assaulted by another hug, this one much tighter. But he is unlikely to be too upset. Rowan is soft and smells like blueberry pies.
"Well, off we go to the Riftline, then. Now we can talk about more fun things. Like how you said I was cute?"
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Butterfly Park

Simon breathes a sigh of relief, happy that his explanation has passed muster and he's still in Rowan's good graces. He loops his tail around Rowan's shoulders to return the hug.

"Right on dude, let's go!" Disengaging from the hug, Simon bounds away, then pauses and circles back. "You know, you'd better lead, because I have no idea where anything is here."

As they begin walking, Simon nods vigorously. "Well yeah, you're objectively cute. Not only are you a sweet person, you're also a dragon, so bonus? And you're a very nice shade of blue." He considers for a moment. "I'm definitely not biased on the dragon thing either."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Park

Rowan smiles and points west, starting in that direction. He seems to be blushing a little. You can mostly tell in his fins.
"W-well, it's just that nobody has told me that before. Maybe my boss Cornelius implied it but it was in more of a dad kind of way. But no one's said it before or after the dragon thing. And I'm very specifically blueberry colored. Because Granny bound me with a blueberry pie. Pies are a whole thing with her."
He pauses, glancing down at himself.
"And I mean I guess they're a whole thing with me. Pies are pretty great after all."
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

Gullara wrote: Sep 02, 2023 3:10 am [Youthful Indiscretions]

"Oh I'm fucked." Eliseo replies nonchalantly. "Best I can hope for is that Ana's parents aren't upset with me. Unless I'm so charming that they neglect to tell mine. I'm not sure Obriane's as easygoing as Kitsuki, though."
[Youthful Indiscretions]

"Ouch." She grimaced. "Yeah, Obriane didn't seem to uh... be in the best of moods tonight. Assuming you do get grounded again- well, just lemme know if you need some stuff airmailed to yah, eh?"
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Butterfly Park

Simon heads west with Rowan, mostly slithering. He's long enough that he can easily raise his head up to be level with his new friend without slowing his pace.

"That's actually really surprising to me? I dunno, maybe people just don't appreciate a good looking dragon when they see one." He shakes his head in disgust at the lack of dragon appreciators in the world. "Also, pies are awesome. Blueberry pies are one of the best kinds, too. But I'm also a fan of peach, and pecan is..." he trails off as something clicks in his brain.

"Waaaait wait wait. 'Before the dragon thing?' Are you saying that you weren't always a dragon?" Simon seems to be radiating curiosity as he glances at his companion.
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

[Youthful Indiscretions]

"Will do." The boy winks, than laughs. "Too bad I haven't told you how to bypass the cameras at my place. Ana could fill you in, but I don't think she could teach you from the outside."
~Images by Soushiyo
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Park

"Pretty much; it happened when I first started using Granny's magic. Apparently 'there's costs to using someone else's magic.'" Rowan puts on a shockingly convincing witchy old lady voice.
"Being Granny's Extra Special Grandson means I get a family resemblance. And apparently she's in a reptile phase." Or maybe she's just an ancient faerie dragon who likes the idea of being an old lady.
"I mean if the alternative is a magic patron who eats my soul I'd call it a win."
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

[Youthful Indiscretions]

"Ah shit, right." She had forgotten the camera's. She supposed she should be thankful her parents didn't have the same wealth as his- she was certain if they had the money and technical knowledge she'd have to contend with cameras at her own place too. "I bet I could Mission Impossible my way past those with a bit of help though," she joked. "Ana could be my gal in the earpiece, you could be my guy on the inside. And I'd look great in the spy getup."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Butterfly Park

"Oohhh." Simon nods, finally understanding Rowan's situation. "So in return for her magic, she turned you into a dragon? Seems like a win-win in my book!" You get cool magic and get turned into a dragon? You have to wonder what's in it for Granny.

"Well... in that case I have a confession to make." He takes a deep breath. "I'm also not really a dragon! Damn, it feels good to get that out." And the breath is released, followed by him arching his body like a very long cat as he releases tension. "I was actually a human, and then I, well. I ran into a dragon named Bluutsvill, and she ate me, and I woke up here. The weird thing is, I look exactly like her now. First time I looked into a mirror was terrifying, dude."

The Road to Hell (Bend)

On the long winding road between Riverside and Hell Bend, there's some rather strange activity. From a bird's eye view, it looks like a giant, bright red spider is scuttling towards the road. A closer look reveals it to be the duo of Alice Q and her demonic arm Kraujo, the latter stretched into a half dozen legs made from blood, which gallop the two across the ground at breakneck pace.

After leaving Hell Bend, the two cut off road, heading to intercept the main highway a few miles out. It's their best bet to catch up to their target- the individual known as Ilpholin, who apparently is behind the scene of chaos and slaughter that they left behind. The fact that the victims were demons serves only to spur on the pair- they clearly have reasons to favor demons, as Kraujo is one himself. So the goal is to find her, and stop her from doing anything like this ever again.

As they approach the road, Kraujo's pace slows, and he lets Alice down before reforming into her arm. The two look around, seeing no sign of any traffic at the moment.

"Think we missed them?" the woman asks, removing her bowler hat and brushing the hair from her eyes.

"No. We took shortcut, should be ahead. Lay ambush." The demon arm's raspy voice is tinged with eagerness. It's been a while since he's been tested, and the thought of combat is making him salivate, blood dripping to the hot asphalt.

"Think they'll be expecting hitchhikers?" quips Alice, striding to one side of the road and holding out her normal arm in a thumbs up gesture. As she does so, Kraujo, mostly hidden from view by her body, extends a thin tendril that snakes down to the ground and across the road before anchoring itself on the other side. With just a twitch, he pulls the tendril about a foot off the road, creating an almost invisible, razor sharp tripwire. If it goes unnoticed, it could slice through tires with ease.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Park

Well at least part of what’s in it for Granny is getting to constantly laugh knowing what Rowan would have accomplished in life but instead will go doddering around baking pies.

”Huh.” he blinks.
”Wait so you’re stuck in a female body? That sucks.”
There’s probably magic that can help with that.
”Hm. I don’t know much of anything about dimensional travel. But maybe your spirit came here and it took a piece of her essence with it? Did you meet any witches, spell casters, or truck drivers that day?”
And he has to wonder if she always had such a deep, masculine voice.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Butterfly Park

"I guesss? But it's a dragon body. Where I'm from at least, they don't have any really distinguishing sex characteristics. The only way you can tell is if they tell you." Dragons might have more humanlike ideas of gender elsewhere, but where Simon's from most of them eschew such things altogether. The voice is likely just his, since judging by the snakelike tongue a natural voice from this body would sound significantly more hissy.

"Yeah, that's part of why I assumed it was the afterlife. Kind of like a 'sorry you got eaten by a dragon, here's a cool dragon body to make up for it' type deal. And I didn't meet any spellcasters that day, except Bluutsvill of course." Apparently she's one of those magical dragons. Simon blinks. "Wait, truckdrivers?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Park

”Well I guess…” he does have cartoonish anatomy after all.

”You have a really deep voice. Were you a big guy before? I used to be short. And thin. I’m neither of those things now.” he pretty much towers over everyone he knows except his boss.
”Huh? Yeah you know. Trucks. You get sent to another world and get to be an overpowered protagonist when you get killed by one of those.” Everyone knows that.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[The Road to Hell]

The hovercycle riding phyrexian nymph can't claim to be expecting hitchhikers. A surprising number of people still walk places without the need for vehicles at all. Still, having left Hell's Bend Ilpholin has slowed down from rocketing pace to speeding loudly.

And loudly does she announce her presence as the vehicle turns onto the street. It is true that Ilpholin spent extra specifically on the noise module to make her hoverbike make motorcycle noises as it moved. Finding them 'cool' as the organics might say. They are also, misleading.

As Ilpholin roars down the street, passenger in tow, she doesn't even slow down to humor Alice. Two people is already capacity for her vehicle anyways so it was illogical to stop in a fake show of compassion. Besides, they have somewhere else to be sooner rather than later. The hovercycle itself, being designed to sense and lift up above debris and over it, automatically notes the tendril and lifts slightly which does catch Ilpholin's attention as it seems to be lifting for no particular reason. Still the tendril scrapes the bottom of the chassis and generates some sparks. Alas, there's nothing really important there to catch and the bike sails on at the same speed it was going before. Though its driver is glancing about much more than before as they start to turn down the next street.
► SHOW SPOILER
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

[Youthful Indiscretions]

Speaking of Ana! The conversation might be interrupted as the girl in question stirs in her bed, rolling onto her side with a groan. "Atsede? El?" She looks blearily out at the two of them, but any confusion takes a backseat as she suddenly realizes something. "I- I don't... feel good...."
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.