BC's Best... Cottages?

Personal homes and private lots.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: BC's Best... Cottages?

Post by bc56 »

Parent Things
"What do you mean by that?" Sekhmet asks about the strange enchantments. It feels like she's on the outside of an inside joke.
(She should be on the inside, given the weird things that have happened to her)
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Parent Things

”I mean that Khannie has in the past three years been a member of more species than I have been in my entire life. And I’ve been a few.”
Again Zebes snickers.
”Well, you’ve been a human, a dragon, and two different Pokémon. She’s been a Pokémon, a human, a dragon, a Pokémon again, and then a different Pokémon that’s also two different other kind of ghost-fox. Maybe three? It’s hard to keep track.
Like I said. You’re overdue.”

”And what about you?” Jace says blithely while his familiar looks up innocently at him.
”Oh you leave me out of it. I’m great just as I am.”
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Parent Things
"That's a lot. And yet, it's, uh, kind of funny. Being different things, uh, different creatures is, uh, part of normal training for, uh, people like Mary and me," Sekhmet chuckles, "I've been changed against my will..." Sekhmet counts on her fingers, "Five times. That's five, uh, maybe four times more than I would have where I come from. Is it just normal to be changed into things in the Nexus?" Even Mary, technically, was changed into a demon and then into a dragon and now into a fully-fledged succubus.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Parent Things

"That depends entirely on who you hang out with. It sounds like you've got me and Khannie beat to some extent." Khannie being human and losing it were quite of her own volition, after all. As was his second pokemon form.
"How bad were yours? I imagine you could probably just shift back yourself within the day."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Parent Things
"The first few, uh, before I learned shapeshifting, were, uh, pretty bad. I stayed humanoid but, uh... It's very unpleasant to be told that you're ugly and then be changed to match the speaker's standards of beauty. Even worse when it's your own mother doing it." Sekhmet spits the word "mother" with enough venom to curdle milk.
The weird thing is, nowadays Sekhmet looks pretty similar to that of her own volition. The big difference is in how she dresses.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Parent Things

"Ah, yes. I can see that. All of ours have mostly been various tricksters trying their luck on us. With varying degrees of it being funny."
Jace's pokemon thing was a little funny when Fortuna did it. Less so with Libra. And he didn't even mention the Kangaroo Incident(s). Anything involving Kyubey, very much not funny.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Parent Things
"Making changes temporarily can be funny," Sekhmet's done that to Mary a couple times, "But doing it to someone who can't change back seems a little, uh, rude. Maybe even cruel depending on the shape and the person." Sekhmet has plenty of power, she could transform Jace on a whim, but, as she says, that would be rude.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Parent Things

"Mhm. I can only sort of forgive Fortuna. Her little pranks on me and Khannie did work out in the end. Mostly. And Khannie's did help through a much worse thing off the scent."
Of course Sekhmet was there for the end of that one. And his was before Fortuna's personality had really solidified in Geneva.
Jace takes a sip of that tea again.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Parent Things
"It had it's claws in Mary too, and so many other girls. They've been bringing me more of them to save but... I'm concerned that thing will come looking for payback." Sekhmet's not sure she can hurt it. And she's very sure that it wouldn't try to hurt her directly, from what she's learned from the Girls, but that doesn't mean it can't hurt her at all.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Parent Things

”Right. I’m going to need one of you folks’ help with that at some point. I have to get within jabbing range of that thing.”
Jace reaches into his bag and pulls out a golden mace shaped like a hand extending two fingers.
”I don’t know if it will do exactly what Fortuna described. You can’t trust chaos goddesses. But she is protective of Khannie so I trust that it will help.”
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Parent Things
"That's..." Sekhmet examines the mace quizzically, "The strangest artifact I've seen." Wouldn't a spear be more appropriate for eye-poking? "I could give you a call if that thing shows up?" She doesn't really know how an opportunity for eyepokery could be arranged.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Rebonack wrote: Sep 09, 2023 3:35 pm [Social Anxiety]

Fun!

Khannie considers that question.

It's a good question!

The stuff she eats, as in the weird stuff not the normal stuff, isn't exactly physical? But just like Arthfael Emgee apparently needs living flesh. Or blood. Whichever. Maybe? It sounds like this is working, it just isn't working enough. What does happen to the extra stuff? She never really grilled Arthfael on the ins and outs since he felt really awkward about it.

"I'm not sure," Khannie replies, doing her best not to look at the rabbit foot sitting on the ground nearby. "But it did help, right? You're less hungry than you were before?"

Hopefully it helped to some degree. Khannie is wanting to make sure they're on the right track here.
[Social Anxiety]

"I... think so?" Emgee strokes her stomach, as though the action somehow helped her take inventory of the situation, before slowly shaking her head. "Not nearly enough, though. I still feel really, really hungry... as opposed to really, really, really hungry. And I'm not sure how long it's going to be before I can eat again and if I might end up hungrier than I was when I started." She grimaces. "...Maybe I wasn't supposed to eat the whole thing? I mean... you said Arthfael was a vampire, right? Maybe the blood's all I need, and I can save a lot of space by just..."

Holding a wriggling rabbit in her teeth and sucking it dry like a furry juice box.

Eugh.

"Or... or maybe it's just..." Emgee starts, before cutting herself off.

No. She shouldn't say that. She was already pushing her luck with Khannie being so understanding about eating the adorable little bunnies. The best outcome is that she's wrong and she sounds like a monster- more so- for even considering it.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Parent Things

”From what I can tell, Kyubey thinks it’s invulnerable so it just sits there and lets the girls beat it up. So really I just need to be around when it shows up. And Khannie says it has been showing up to threaten her a lot. So it should be simple comparatively.”
But will it work? Who knows?
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Parent Things
"Maybe not. Neither of us have seen it, right? It might only appear when no adults are around," Sekhmet considers. That would make a sort of twisted sense. Adults could advise kids not to make deals, after all.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Parent Things

"Khannie mentioned that Kyubey appeared for at least one of the adult friends who helped her out during her missions. So I don't think he has that restriction."
Jace never met this "Mina" but Khannie said she was a cowlady and also very big.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Parent Things
"I uh, didn't think it couldn't. Only that it wouldn't. If it felt threatened, I don't think it would show up at all. So if it knows you have that thing..." It might be harder to catch it in that circumstance. Of course Sekhmet has no idea if Kyubey knows Jace has the divine eye-poker or not.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Social Anxiety]

Khannie is picking up on the undertones here.

Or maybe the overtones.

"Okay I'm getting that this feels kinda weird to you and you're probably thinking I might think it's creepy but I've gotta do basically the same thing. Yeah just draining the blood might work better. Arthfael never really explained exactly how it works. Or, here hang on a sec."

And then Khannie is off into the jungle again. It's faster this time because she's just grabbing the first reasonably sized animal she can. She she returns she's got some kind of bird? It's pretty colorful. Also raising a ruckus on account of being caught.

"Okay so-" she begins as she shifts from fox-girl to zoroark. "I don't drain blood but I definitely drain something. Life I guess? Basically the same thing."

Then she opens her mouth way too wide and oh gosh all those teeth and she bites the bird.

The poor bird blackens and shrivels and stiffens until all that's left is a frostbitten, frozen husk.

Gross.

She drops the husk on the ground. "If I got bent out of shape because of weird eating habits that WOULD make me a monster. A buncha weird stuff has happened to you and you've gotta figure out how to take care of yourself."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Social Anxiety]

Emgee shivers as the frozen bird hits the floor, wrapping her arms around herself and shaking a bit. The deceased isn't the only one feeling a little cold just now.

Okay, so maybe the boundary is a little further out there than she thought. It... might be worth the risk to weigh out what was on her mind after all.

"...I... I get that. But looking at this, I... I have to wonder if maybe the reason I'm still hungry after two rabbits is that..."

Emgee swallows back her nerves, the next few words needing a little extra push to get out.

"...Is that they're not big enough."

Emgee watches Khannie warily as the idea floats by, waiting for any sign that this was too gruesome to consider and Emgee had no business even thinking about a possibility that morbid, since if she thought about it she might act on it and bunnies are one thing but to go even further is what monsters do and she is way too close to one already.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

bc56 wrote: Sep 18, 2023 2:54 am Parent Things
"I uh, didn't think it couldn't. Only that it wouldn't. If it felt threatened, I don't think it would show up at all. So if it knows you have that thing..." It might be harder to catch it in that circumstance. Of course Sekhmet has no idea if Kyubey knows Jace has the divine eye-poker or not.
Parent Things

"It hasn't felt threatened by anything before. So we'll just have to be quiet about it and see if it works. Worst case scenario I'll give it to Khannie and she can try it herself." Jace replies with a shrug, sticking it back in his bag.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Parent Things
"We'll, uh, have to see." Sekhmet sits quietly for a while, thinking. It's up to Jace to broach the next topic.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Parent Things

"So how is Mary doing? Khannie told me that she's had quite the eventful year just like her." Jace asks, sipping his tea again.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Parent Things
"She's well. Well, uh, well enough. She, uh, recently unlocked her full succubus powers, and I'm a little worried I'm going to hear about her doing something foolish with them at school. Last I, uh, heard she was still looking for a boyfriend so I, uh, don't think she's gone too far with it. But she's happy, she's putting all her effort into her painting and she's really improved. And, uh, apparently she wants to, uh, play school sports, although I, uh, don't think she's sure which ones." Sekhmet has a poor understanding of school sports, but she never went to a school. She just thinks they're undignified. Especially for a princess.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Parent Things

"Well, that sounds like she's doing alright then. I admit I don't know too much about the whole school dynamic they've got going on. I never had anything like that when I was their age, least of all a school with sports attached in an official capacity." Jace explains with a chuckle.
"And I was born in a tree!"
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Parent Things
"Me neither," Sekhmet agrees. "She seems to be enjoying it, and they're teaching her to use her powers responsibly (I hope), so I, uh, don't see the harm, even if it is undignified. But I do wish she was home more often." They're a little far from Inside; Mary can't really come home whenever. And even if she could, she probably wouldn't.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Parent Things

"The call of the empty nest is a powerful thing." Jace smiles.
"I admit my return to being on the job is in part because after seven years it's hard to know what to do with myself now that my daughter is barely home."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Parent Things
"It's not quite empty yet, just, uh, our little one isn't much for, uh, conversation." The year-old demon prince in question is currently down for a nap. "I, uh, couldn't quit the job even if I wanted to. The throne needs a queen and, uh, all that."
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Social Anxiety]

It takes Khannie a moment to work out what Emgee is getting at. This isn't just a question about volume. She's talking about...

People.

Eating people.

Like a regular vampire.

Khannie knows VERY well that if Arthfael was hungry enough he would do that. But that was after some really bad injuries. Does getting killed count as really bad injuries?

...maybe?

"I think I get what you mean. But I dunno if that's an idea to even consider. We're still figuring this whole dumb thing out and we're gunna just take it one step at a time," the zoroark says, doing her best to look and sound reassuring.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Parent Things

"Oh right. I'd forgotten your little one." Mostly because Khannie probably only mentioned Mary had a younger sibling once tops.
"Well I suppose that is the risk of the immortal position thing. Unbreakable job security sounds like it could be a bit of a double-edged sword." Doing the same thing forever sounds like a lot. But Eudaemonia and Sekhmet seem to be doing alright. Though neither has actually been at it forever.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Parent Things
"It is. I don't want to wrangle unrepentant souls for all eternity, but there's no other choice. The only other people qualified are my kids, and I wouldn't do that to them." The throne is choosy. It needs someone of the royal bloodline. "I don't want to rule the Depths, but anyone who does want to shouldn't be allowed to, and it would be cruel to force it on someone who doesn't want to." This is something Sekhmet has spent a lot of time thinking about. As far as she knows, the best she can hope for is eventually retiring and passing the crown to Mary. Because of the prophecy, she knows Mary will succeed her, but not when or how.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Parent Things

"Yeah, it's my hope that of all the things Khannie keeps tripping into a title that binds her forever isn't one of them. She'd never be able to sit still long enough for it."
Even if it was a very nice domain to be forever bound to, like Eudaemonia's.
"On the plus side, it sounds like you and Mary have quite a lot of time to figure out that particular dynamic.
...I don't actually know how much Khannie ages now that she's...whatever she is."
That's a bit of a potential can of worms.