Inside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: Inside

Post by bc56 »

Spellman Sisters' Bookshoppe
"Oh!" Sekhmet leaps back startled when Eun suddenly transforms into Buhan. Once she's had a moment to recover her composure, she makes a magical gesture and the tattered garments repair and resize themselves to fit. "You, uh, have a second form... no. Are you two souls in one body? That's, uh, strange, how does that happen to someone?" and she thinks a step further, "You're asking about soul transfers because you want to go back to being separate people?" She's close, right?
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!

Tags:
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Spellman Sisters' Bookshoppe]

In the back of Buhan's head, Eun's quietly panicking, not holding up very well under Buhan's very valid criticism of her methods. She seems to very nearly miss Sekhmet's half of the conversation, but fortunately can piece it together well enough.

And amidst all the internal screaming and wriggling, Buhan will be able to hear this thought:

It's not right, creating a person for one purpose only and planning to discard them when it's done. It's not right when we do it and it's not right when a fae goddess does it.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

A Dump in the City

Harley sighs dramatically at the witch's news. Well if that isn't the cherry on top of this whole disaster.

"So this is a dead end! We should be looking some place completely different. If she's even still alive." Incinerator sounds pretty nasty, whatever that is. God, why was doing good deeds so hard?

He looks curiously as the blood is drawn away from his hand. What a fascinating process. Harley is about to ask more about it when-

"She died!" he exclaims in horror, after getting over the initial shock of Redheeda's collapse. Harley looks wildly over to the real Raheeda.

"Tell me that was just a construct or something so I don't have to cry," he says in a strangled voice.
horses can attack and eat me
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[A Dump in the City]

"Nah. She's definitely still alive. Girl's a freaking cockroach, and I'm only being half facetious. Just a question of where she is these days."

"I don't suppose you saw that child recently..."

"Pody, can you not think with your stomach for two seconds?" The unseen witch huffs. "You can check her old place if you like. It's at [address]. Doubt you'll find anything more interesting than a smouldering crater, but if it was worth your time to come here, that can't be much worse."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[A Dump in the City]

"Huh?" Raheeda looks over to Harley, her eyes widened. "Oh no! She's like uh, me and I can summon her again! She didn't die!"

She waves her spear around and points it at the blood puddle, seemingly deaf to the witches words for a moment.

Then sure enough the pool raises and once again forms into a copy of Raheeda in the same thoughtful pose she had before collapsing.
"-fore. We share memories n' stuff. But I'm like a different person, maybe?" The clone looks to the actual Raheeda who shrugs hesitantly..
"Eh, beats me." She turns back to the witch. "But it was waaay back. So no hatchlings for you. In fact, you should probably stop talking now before I change my mind." These witches truly sound like the worst kind of witches. No wonder they hanged out in such a foul-smelling place. No one liked them.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Spellman Sisters Bookshoppe

Buhan is so grumpy she doesn't even correct Eun that W isn't a fae.
"I was never meant to be a soul. I was a mask, a role for Eun to play to get over her own issues. I became a soul through quite a lot of abuse of power from everyone involved." she folds her arms. Some part of her touching Eun's mind actually likes wearing this outfit. It makes her feel smart.
"I don't even know if I can manage being a separate person. I'm not built for it. But Eun wants me to, and it's not like she takes my advice which is my whole job anyway."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

"It's not right to insert another person into someone's mind, even if they're just a mask," Sekhmet points out, "I, uh, have some experience with this sort of thing. I could probably separate you two. But, uh, unless one of you wants to be a demon or a golem, I can't help with sourcing an empty body." And for the golem one, she'd have to get help from someone she knows.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Spellman Sisters's Bookshoppe]

That... that part actually wouldn't be too hard. Eun mentally weighs in. If our shifting changes our body on a genetic level, it'd be trivial to do a DNA extraction, insert it into a donor ovum, and grow a whole new body for...

...Oh. Wait, no, that... runs into the same problem.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Buhan sighs.
”Don’t even tempt her with a body that doesn’t have to eat and sleep. She’ll only take care of herself even less.
Though being able to actually eat things might be good for her. I tell her she can eat whatever with my stomach but she doesn’t like being me.”

Which Buhan doesn’t entirely get. Being her is pretty great.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

A Dump in the City

Harley puts a hand over his heart in relief. "Oh thank the moon. Sorry, it was just a little shocking to see my best friend splatter like that, even as a copy, so it's good to know you're, uh, alright." There's still a lot of questions he could ask about Redheeda- like how she's even able to do that -but now doesn't seem like the time to ask them.

Mostly because of the witches, who he absolutely does not trust. And the fact that they're still on a quest.

Pointing his broken bottle menacingly in the general direction of the witch's voice, he nods decisively. "Thanks for the address, we'll try that out. Now, I'm going to check back in on this place, and if I hear any stories, rumors or whispers about you preying on other, uh, innocent travelers, then I'm going to come back. And trust me, you really don't want that." He also doesn't want to do that, since his nose has almost gone numb from the scents of this place.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

"The demon body is better for that. Golems can't feel anything and can't eat or sleep even if they, uh, want to," Sekhmet's nerdiness got the better of her there, comparing and contrasting the replacement bodies. "But I, uh, can't say being a demon is a great idea either. Eternal youth and beauty and magical power sounds good, but then you're damned to Hell."
Morty
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Day of the Duel]

With entirely accidental dramatic timing, Michalson arrives as well, with Bunny in tow. The detective is leaning heavily on his cane, as his leg seems uncooperative today.

"Looks like I'm just in time, seein' how you two berks are still alive."
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Day of the Duel]
quillpleasant wrote: Sep 04, 2023 5:11 am
► SHOW SPOILER
Keeper wrote: Sep 04, 2023 4:49 pm
► SHOW SPOILER
post_id=21661 wrote:Sep 11, 2023 9:19 pm
► SHOW SPOILER
Hoshiki moves his eyes very slightly to look at Lia. The distant strike of lightning is reflected from his dark eyes. When the rumble of thunder passes over them a moment later, he asks Sandels: "What is this now?"

The bandaged man gives an apologetic shrug as the rain begins to fall on them. "Haven't got the faintest."

The swordsman narrows his eyes. "Do you want to discuss with her?"

Sandels shakes his head. "No, not particularly."

The men stare at each other in silence for a moment. That's when Michalson arrives with Bunny. The synthetic soul in her small clay body hides behind the detective's legs as well as she can. Hoshiki raises an eyebrow when he sees them. Sandels frowns and furrows his brow.

"We seem to be gathering an audience", the swordsman notes laconically, before turning to face the new arrivals. "You came to say something as well? Speak your mind, but make it short."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Day of the Duel

Lia scowls at the warrior's discussion. "Don't talk about me like I'm not here, I can hear you. I'm just trying to give you..." she trails off as she notices Michalson and Bunny approaching the tableau. Great.

Well, all the more reason to make this quick. Ignoring the newcomers, she steps smartly over to Sandels and speaks in a low voice so only he can hear.

"This will probably be meaningless to you, but regardless of how you feel, I consider you my friend. So I made this for you." She produces what appears to be a strip of white fabric, silky in texture. It's embroidered with the silhouette of a mushroom, done in lavender thread.

"It's a favour. I read that ladies would give these to knights, before battle, for luck. I know you're no knight, and I'm no lady, but... take it? For luck?" Lia holds it out hesitantly. It's simple, but clearly well made, designed to be tied around the wearer's arm.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Day of the Duel]

"I'm not a very wordy berk at the best of times." Michalson frowns at the two fighters, then glances at the gargoyle behind him. "My parolee 'ere doesn't want you to kill each other. I'm helpin' her because I'm a leatherhead with a soft heart who doesn't know when to quit. But havin' found out as much dark about this as I could, I really think you tryin' to scrag each other is a waste of time and effort anyhow."
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Day of the Duel]

From her hiding place, Bunny glares daggers at Lia when she present the fabric to Sandels. For his part, the man looks down at the object like it's something radioactive, his face twisting with conflicting emotions under his bandages. "You are wrong. This kind of act carries a great deal of meaning for me", he says, raising his gaze and looking Lia in the eyes, "which is precisely why I refuse to take any such object on me. This is not the kind of fight for which I'd carry any lady's favour." He turns slightly and looks past Lia, raising his voice. "You hear that?"

Lia might realize that last bit is aimed at Bunny, who does hear, and shrinks in shame behind Michalson.

Meanwhile, Hoshiki looks past Michalson with narrow eyes, tilting his head to try and catch a glimpse of the clay gargoyle. "So, is that the mystery woman you referred to?", he asks. He turns to look back at Sandels. "I repeat what I said before. Even though this is not strictly a duel to the death, I make no promises. If you didn't come here to stop me as a matter of law, stay out of the way."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Day of the Duel

Lia seems to freeze at Sandel's refusal, blinking rapidly. "It... meant a great deal to me as well," she manages to say, before turning and walking away, carrying herself stiffly. She makes her way to the edge of the street before kneeling down to watch whatever transpires, laying the favour on the ground beside her.

Glancing over at Bunny, the mycoid smiles sadly. She still owes the little gargoyle an apology. But that can come later, as Lia is looking especially gray and listless despite the rain.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[A Dump in the City]

"Yeah, no, we're not gonna be here." The witch clarifies with a little huff. "If you think we're just gonna sit quietly where you can find us the next time someone goes spreading rumors about us, you're more insane than I am." She pauses, before adding, "And you can be certain we're not gonna leave Apodema in charge next time. I might just eat her myself after you leave."

"...You what?"

"You heard me. Run, little mouse."

The first witch goes pale and disintegrates into a swarm of mice again, scattering in all directions.

[Spellman Sisters' Bookshoppe]

...Um... not to be, uh... rude, or selfish, or anything, but... doesn't it make more sense to put Buhan in her own body? I mean, I already have one, we're just sharing it.

Internally, Eun winces, to such a degree that it almost actually manifests on Buhan.

...Not that either of those sound like... *great* options for, um... someone who kind of likes eating and sleeping and... and I think I should shut up now.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Day of the Duel]

"Well, Sandels." Michalson becomes unusually sardonic for a moment. "You've got a real talent for inspiring loyalty in people... despite your best efforts. But I didn't come here as a man of the law. I came here on behalf of my ward. And an old man who has seen too many people die stupidly. I'd like to stop it from happening again if I can."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[A Dump in the City]

"You should stop turning into animals people would want to eat too!" The actual Raheeda calls after Apodema as she turns into mice.
Really, it was like turning into a slab of meat and not expect people to try to eat you. Since who could resist a fresh mouse off the floor?

"Your best friend? D'aww, I'm not even sure what so say to that, Harley." The blood-Raheeda remarks. "But yeah, of course I'm alright. I just exist like this for a few moments at the time."
She turns with a sneer at the remaining witch. "Which is more time than you should exist around here, shoo! Shoo!" The blood clone makes an aggressive shooing motion aimed to her.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

A Dump in the City

Harley watches the witch depart with distaste, suppressing another shudder at the swarm transformations. This outing has had enough rats to last him quite a while.

Turning back to Redheeda, he chuckles nervously. "Oh, uh... yeah I mean. I guess only friend too? But even if I had more I think you'd still be my best. Uh, both of you? I guess?" Man, this is confusing.

But what's not confusing is that he's more than ready to leave this place. Glaring at the last witch, he mutters "We should probably get going, yeah? Nothing else for us here. We can try that address and see if there's any more clues there."
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Day of the Duel]

"Yes. It is quite perplexing", Sandels comments Michalson's remark about loyalty, without a hint of irony.

Meanwhile, the swordsman has lost his patience with this discussion. When Michalson confirms he's not here as representative of law, Hoshiki unsheathes his longer sword. "Brace yourself!", he shouts to Sandels.

"Sure", the bandaged man replies, removing the silver pendant from around his neck.

Then the two men dash towards each other. Michalson has split of a second to get between them before the first blows are exchanged. The detective can feel the little gargoyle tighten her grip around his leg.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Day of the Duel

As the two men charge each other, Lia winces, but remains sitting on the ground. She watches, eyes flicking over to the detective to see if he plans to interfere.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

"It's not great for EITHER of us. Like I said, fixing up your version of your body would probably help you out a lot. But I think both of us like the idea of not spending most of the rest of eternity in Hell. So yeah."
Besides, being a demon would probably ruin the figure Buhan likes so much. Cursed beauty standards.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

"Right, it's, uh, not a great idea. That's what I said, right? But I can't help you get a body otherwise, I can only perform the transfer." Sekhmet hopes she's clear enough on the fact that becoming a demon is a Bad Idea. She's only getting half the conversation between Eun and Buhan though, so she doesn't know how much is getting across.
(Reading their mind(s) without consent would be unethical.)
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Halae »

[An Empty Lot]

The earth and sky are wet. It's not a full downpour; the grey of the sky is merely a drizzle, the kind that's a liminal place between sunshine and true rain. Enough to give the ground beneath your feet the texture of wet, without dirt turning to mud.

And in this light drizzle, there's a woman. Massive, so muscular each of her arms is about the size of a human man on their own. She's in the midst of a series of movements, however. Punches, kicks, a rare tail swipe or headbutt. She repositions from time to time, moving from a standing position to all fours and then back again in moments.

It may take a moment to realize that she appears to be fighting some unseen adversary, completely invisible, but she's blocking their hits with her arms and legs, before counterattacking. Steam is even coming off of her from the exertion in this wet weather.
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

An Empty Lot

Someone walks by the lot. A rare person who can match Emily's stature (but not her physique). He's a very large, blue-scaled, humanoid dragon wearing a pink and orange apron. From the apron, the large cake peel in his hand made of wood, copper, and crystal, and his round shape, he is without question a local baker. The rain seems to be parting around the cake peel as if it was an umbrella.

"Afternoon." he says cheerily, waving a claw at the lady. There appears to be a large piebald rat wearing a wizard's hat sitting in his apron pocket who rolls its eyes immediately.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[An Empty Lot]

Pulled from what she was doing by the greeting of someone unfamiliar, Emily stumbles a step as she comes back to the world around her, though she catches herself before she falls down entirely. Standing up with what dignity she can muster, she waves to the odd... dragon guy, "Ah, uh, hello there."
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

An Empty Lot

"You okay, Miss? Standing out in the rain is a great way to catch a cold, even if you're working out. You from around here?"
Rowan lives near the more draconic-heavy parts of town, so that could be why Emily is in this part of town. Though she might still be staying with Mina in Skyside right now.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[An Empty Lot]

"I come down here to exercise," Emily explains, "Actually living in Skyside with a friend at the moment. It's... kinda packed up there. Not a lot of places to get an uninterrupted training session in, and I didn't want to risk damaging anything at my friend's place."

She also tilts her head, grimacing a bit, "... Also, they sell way better meats down here."