Inside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Re: Inside

Post by Keeper »

An Empty Lot

"Oh, I get it. Normal sized doorframes just don't agree with me and my hips." Curse the cultural decree that all friendly bipedal dragons be bottom-heavy. It's a bit more even in his case but still.
"Yeah, you're definitely in the more carnivore-heavy part of town. It's about where I get half of my stuff. Um. Do you like pie?"

Tags:
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Halae »

[An Empty Lot]

"Meat pie is my preference. Sharp teeth is good for it, you know?" she taps a claw against her exposed teeth. Her lips aren't able to fully cover them, "Pumpkin pie is a good runner up. I count lasagna as a type of pie, and the world hates me for it."
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

An Empty Lot

"Well, blueberry is my specialty." Because of course it is. Rowan's own teeth are plenty sharp despite his otherwise harmless experience. But it's hard to tell without looking for it.
"Hm...I've never actually tried to enchant a pie that wasn't sweet. What do you think, Ratticus?" He looks down at his familiar who finally pipes up.
"I mean, you know how stories about witches in the woods go. There's no reason why you couldn't. It just clashes with your usual sickly-sweet shtick a little. I say not enough to cause problems, just a little harder."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[An Empty Lot]

"Personally, I specialize in simple meals made well. I always seem to go back to macaroni if I don't have any other ideas," Emily shrugs. the drizzle hasn't let up since she started, so she's thoroughly soaked at this point, though presumably being crocodilian makes that matter relatively little, "Do you cook a lot?"
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

An Empty Lot

"Um. Well I mostly bake. I'm a baker. With magic! But I haven't actually made any magic pies for people yet. I don't really know how to advertise that."
He wiggles his claws.
"My roommate is absolutely hopeless so I cook for him too though. He can't even make a hot sandwich without burning it."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[An Empty Lot]

That gets a little chuckle out of Emily, "Well, I know a thing or two about it. I could play taste tester for you, if you like."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

An Empty Lot

"Well. Lots of people try my pies normally. I sell them, you know. Or do you mean...the magic ones? I've never really tested my magical pastries except Ratticus. I can't promise that they'll be absolutely a hundred percent safe...I can't imagine they wouldn't be though. I don't even know about any hex variants." Well, maybe one.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[An Empty Lot]

"I did in fact mean the magic ones," Emily responds, a light smile pulling at her too-wide mouth, "You'll never have a chance to sell them if you don't refine the craft, and I'm a good test subject."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

An Empty Lot

"Um...." Rowan seems conflicted.
"Well, I can't take you to work, which means you'd have to come back to my place. And I don't even know your name. So uh, can you give me a guarantee you're not conning me? I'm Rowan. For my bit."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[An Empty Lot]

"Emily Grant," she says, no hesitation, "We could do this where I live if you prefer. Your choice. I'm not out to con you, unless you count getting free food as a con. I mean, if you let me test the pies, I'm getting free pie."

Free pie is good stuff!
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

An Empty Lot

"Well...if you're ok with my place it's built for people our size. Frank and Simon are out. But...what if the magic goes awry, and I turn you purple, or I accidentally hex you into a chubby cartoon critter?" He asks, aghast at the very idea.
"C'mon Chonkasaur have a little faith. Not even you could mess up stuff from the first three pages of the recipe book."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[An Empty Lot]

Emily shrugs, "Innate regeneration power. It sets me back to what I consider my prime, and it works on magic too. Even if you do something to me, it won't be permanent. That's part of why I offered."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

An Empty Lot

"Well. If that's the case I won't hold back. There could be side effects but...it sounds like you're fine? I mean heck if you're basically immune I could try a hex..."
He shakes his head.
"I live about six blocks away if you really wanna come..." he points east of where they are now.
"...you really collect people, don't ya?" Ratticus snickers.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[A Dump In The City]

"Yeah, no, I'm not leaving this nice, shock-absorbant garbage pile until you two... three? Two. Until all of you have a horizon between us." The witch's voice rings out. "You're free to walk out any time you like, though. Got other places to be, I'm sure. And a dozen things to talk about that aren't going to get any less interesting the further you get from where I'm sitting."

[Spellman Sisters' Bookshoppe]

We can probably still work out a body oursel-

...Wait. Did... did she just offer to do a transfer?

She would have considered herself lucky if she just stumbled across someone who could teach her the theory; finding someone who could just straight-up do what she needed is...

...Actually not very appealing. It'd eat at her for god knows how long, trying to figure out what exactly happened and the mechanics of it and she wouldn't be any less obsessive over it, just more intent in studying the long-term effects.

Especially with an artificial body on the table. That alone had major implications, since apparently silicon can hold her brain as well as-

Okay no, she needs to focus, or else she's gonna start spiraling around in Buhan's head and being a huge distraction.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

quillpleasant wrote: Sep 16, 2023 5:13 pm A Dump in the City

Harley watches the witch depart with distaste, suppressing another shudder at the swarm transformations. This outing has had enough rats to last him quite a while.

Turning back to Redheeda, he chuckles nervously. "Oh, uh... yeah I mean. I guess only friend too? But even if I had more I think you'd still be my best. Uh, both of you? I guess?" Man, this is confusing.

But what's not confusing is that he's more than ready to leave this place. Glaring at the last witch, he mutters "We should probably get going, yeah? Nothing else for us here. We can try that address and see if there's any more clues there."
[A Dump In The City]

"You just haven't had much time Harley. But you almost made a sex-friend, right? Or whatever they call them. That's pretty impressive. No doubt you'll be making tons of no-sex friends once you start doing some proper good things." The red Raheeda claims while patting Harley on the back.

The actual Raheeda raises a finger. "Just one of me thank you very much." Words meant for both Harley and the witch. "We'll leave, sure-" She hastily looks around. "-but I'll be grabbing this first!" She runs over and grabs a nearby car tire since it was the only large impressive-looking thing that wasn't a garbage bag. "As proof of our victory over you." She points a finger at the witch. "So if you cause trouble again, remember-" She looks over the tire. "-this thing. How it symbolizes... uh... we beat you. We can beat you again."
Then she starts walking off.
The blood-made Raheeda following her.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

A Dump in the City

Harley splutters in protestation at the red Raheeda's comment. "A what? Like, a lover? Because if you're talking about Artie, that was not almost anything, we could barely hold a conversa- oh, it doesn't matter. You're very nice, thank you. Lots of no-sex friends for sure." The bunny man shakes his head in bewilderment.

The tire is a good distraction. "Yeah, what she said!" Harley gestures menacingly in the vague direction of the witch. "Don't mess with people or we'll bring that...thing back, and make you regret it." Intimidating words. Eager to be gone, Harley quickly walks after the Raheedas, glancing back every now and then to make sure the witches aren't following.
horses can attack and eat me
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[A Dump in the City -> Last Known Address]

The witch doesn't actually reply; at this stage, she likely thinks provoking them into further conversation will make them stay longer, the exact opposite of what she wants. She'll offer no further interaction with them before they leave... though with Harley looking back, he may catch a glimpse of a raccoon wearing a floppy black hat scurrying away from the garbage pile.

The address the witch gave them is a long, but walkable, distance away from their current location. There's plenty of time to continue the conversation on the way there.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spellman Sisters Bookshoppe

"Well, if we get an alternative source for an actual body we'll call you. Do you have a business card?" Buhan suggests. She suspects this person does not. But she probably knows her own phone number.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Spellman Sisters' Bookshoppe
"Uh, no?" Why would Sekhmet have a business card? "Do you, uh, still want help with the introductory magic, uh, stuff?"
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Spellman Sisters' Bookshoppe]

Unsurprisingly, Eun is of two minds on the subject... but unusually, neither of them is Buhan.

On the one hand, if magic is to be done, she wants to know everything about it, how it works, its limitations, whether it can be replicated in a lab setting...

And on the other hand, her mind is still screaming over the fact that this is even possible in the first place, and the implications of it being possible.

Ergo.

I'm... not sure. I mean, I... don't think we should close off the option, but... um... yeah.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

"Mmm. Sounds like she's still pretty torn on the subject. Maybe me and her boyfriend will have to ease her into things. Maybe we can keep in touch?"
You have to be gentle with Eun. Her psyche can be as touchy as her allergies sometimes.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

"I, uh, have one of the, uh, cellular phones." She uses it roughly never. It might not even be charged. "I could, uh, give you a number?" Uh oh. Sekhmet seems like the type whose technological competence is roughly nil. Eun's probably heard about that from Miranda.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Spellman Sister's Bookshoppe]

No comprehensible thoughts from Eun this time. Just a growing sense of dread and anticipated exasperation.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Day of the Duel]

"I don't know if there's anythin' I can say to stop these two," Michalson tells Bunny. "Or anythin' I can do. I'm not much of a basher anymore. Either one of 'em could write me into the dead-book pretty easily." Probably not true. His instincts are still sharp and he's got his gun along with a lot of tricks up his sleeve. "Maybe we can at least make sure neither of 'em dies."
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Auction]

Once nice dinner and maybe a little too much good wine later, the auction begins in earnest.

"Our first item of interest is the Eye of Amingo," one of the robotic servers begins as another brings a silver amulet with a green gem set in the center and sets it atop a plinth at the front of the room. "Created by the wizard of the same name as his magnum opus, it is said to provide the wearer visions of the greatest heart's desire of those around them. Amingo, you see, was a terribly awkward fellow and had difficulty understanding others. Bidding will begin at (absurd amount of money)."

"That could be used to manipulate people,"
Morning Glory whispers. "If you know what they would give anything for."

Very useful!

But not what they're here for.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

Keeper wrote: Sep 20, 2023 2:15 am An Empty Lot

"Well. If that's the case I won't hold back. There could be side effects but...it sounds like you're fine? I mean heck if you're basically immune I could try a hex..."
He shakes his head.
"I live about six blocks away if you really wanna come..." he points east of where they are now.
"...you really collect people, don't ya?" Ratticus snickers.
[An Empty Lot]

"... Yeah, sure. At worst, you can show me part of how you're mixing spells into the baking. Lead the way," Emily looks like she's good to go.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Auction
"Yeah that's a tricky thing. Wonder what we'd see using it on us?" The heart's desire? There are lots of things that could be. Especially because people don't know what they really want. "But I don't think it's as good as it sounds. Greatest desire isn't always overpowering. And people resist being tricked."
Jason's had maybe a little more wine than he should. His vocabulary is somewhat plainer than usual.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

bc56 wrote: Sep 23, 2023 2:03 am Spellman Sisters' Bookshoppe
"I, uh, have one of the, uh, cellular phones." She uses it roughly never. It might not even be charged. "I could, uh, give you a number?" Uh oh. Sekhmet seems like the type whose technological competence is roughly nil. Eun's probably heard about that from Miranda.

"I'm sure that's enough. We're both good at remembering numbers. Otherwise if you're having trouble I'm sure an address will suffice." Because a scientist also knows how to mail letters, of course.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Day of the Duel]
Hraithre wrote: Sep 16, 2023 5:45 pm
► SHOW SPOILER
quillpleasant wrote: Sep 16, 2023 6:07 pm
► SHOW SPOILER
Morty wrote: Sep 23, 2023 1:06 pm
► SHOW SPOILER
As Michalson speaks to Bunny, there's a glint of light. The silver pendant in Sandels's hands turns into a polaxe just in time to deflect a strike aimed at his neck. Hoshiki is unperturbed by this and continues his attack by kicking the bandaged man in the gut, sending him flying back.

By the the time Sandels hits the ground and rolls to his feet, the swordsman is already upon him, slashing down. The bandaged man strikes the approaching sword to the side and follows with a quick jab towards the swordsman's face, but Hoshiki twists his body to the side to dodge, then wraps his arm around the haft of the weapon while kicking Sandels again, pushing the bandaged man to the ground while pulling the weapon from his hands.

As Sandels scrambles backwards and gets back on his feet, Hoshiki points his sword at him while holding his opponent's weapon in his left hand. "I gave you two weeks to rest to make this battle fairer", Hoshiki states with a hint of disappointment in his voice. "I do not see how it made a difference."

Sandels holds his arms up while walk backwards, eyes on the swordsman. "What, does this victory not please you?", he asks mockingly, "I admit I did not intent to fight you in this state. But I was faced with certain difficulties."

The swordsman doesn't look like he gives a damn. "You promised me your informant. Where are they?"

Sandels glances to the where Michalson stands and shrugs. "That is what I mean. I was hoping for her assistance, yet she declined. Yet, there she stands anyway. Go figure."

Hoshiki walks half a circle so he can keep pressure on Sandels while fitting the Detective and his ward in his field of view. His brow furrows as his dark eyes fix on Bunny. "And how was such a little imp supposed to assist you?"

Sandels narrows his eyes and smiles. "Oh, you know how. You know what she is."

For her part, until now, Bunny was following the fight with bated breath. She didn't really even have time to collect her thoughts and respond to the detective before the exchange was over. Now, as it dawns on her what the men are talking about, her eyes widen. "Coming here was a mistake", she mumbles, looking at Hoshiki who is looking at her. Then she looks up at Michalson. "We must go. Now."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

"It's, uh, [phone number]." Sekhmet recites falteringly, unsure of whether she's correct. "Or, uh, the people at GLoG can contact me in other ways. Or, uh, if you have the time to travel, you can find me at [address]." The address in question is out in the middle of nowhere on a tropical island. It's several hours by Riftline to take a ferry for a few more hours to the village on the island, then another hour or so of driving or longer on foot to reach the manor; a location chosen partly because of its remoteness.