Vigil

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Magtok
Pointy Eared Baby Devourer

Re: Vigil

Post by Magtok »

[Matters of Espionage]

"Reinholdt? Her mom is with Magtok. You know, the robot face guy, who took over HALO that one time, so he could help orchestrate the demon attack on the old watchtower that split Vigil and HALO apart? How is Reinholdt...hold on, are you saying she has two evil dads?" Jenette's fuzzy understanding of Vigil/Watch history aside, obviously this is way more serious than she thought. She turns her sword about in her hands, brow creased with worry. Even if Blanche's evil patriarchs aren't in cahoots, even if she isn't actively spying on leadership meetings on the cat or cyborg's behalf, that still leaves Vigil outmatched two to one if the organization should ever become inconvenient for those men.
"You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
-Daniel H. Wilson
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Catgirl Abode]

Damn, this is awkward. Hiep rubs the back of her head as she shifts uneasily from one leg to the other. She's never heard about Ilpholin or Hell Bend but it's not hard to put together what happened.

[Matters of Espionage]

"I have heard that Reinholdt fathered her, yes. But did not raise her." Calm Reed frowns. Her understanding of this history is possibly even worse than Jenette's, since she wasn't in the Nexus at all at the time. "If her mother then went on to take Magtok as her husband... that is quite the coincidence. If it is a coincidence."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

Shadowcaller wrote: Oct 03, 2023 10:44 pm [Catgirl Abode]

Anika blinks. "What?" The intensity in Blanche's voice makes her unable to just brush it off as a misunderstanding. This was real.

"...when?" She almost added a 'why' but the catgirls expression gave her more than enough of an answer.
[Catgirl Abode]

"Yesterday. I was there. I saw the bodies." Blanche hesitates. "I know she likes you, but I'd be... very careful about approaching her. If she's willing to organize and carry out something like that-" there's no telling how unwise stepping into her abode might be.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Catgirl Abode]

Anika doesn't hesitate and will get down on one knee and give Blanche a big hug.

She was sure the catgirl would claim she didn't need it but Anika knew her well enough to know that she wouldn't mind one. There were people that she wouldn't hug in this situation but Blanche wasn't one of them.
The druid will gently stroke her hair and scratch her a bit behind the ears the way she knew she liked.

Not a word is said as she does this.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Catgirl Abode]

Well, that's... hmm. Anika and Blanche are obviously close. At least Hiep thinks scratching a cat-person's ears is a familiar gesture. Should she be here for this? She looks away a bit just in case.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Catgirl Abode]

Blanche freezes as Anika hugs her tightly, only to relax and sink into it readily. She closes her eyes and lets out a long-pent-up sigh, a soft and purring rumble building in her chest. "You said you wouldn't do that in front of people..." she complains softly, embarrassed by that reaction of hers as always... but it's token at best. Anika's not wrong - she really does need this.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Catgirl Abode]

"It's okay, it's okay" Anika assures her in a gentle tone. She's sure Hiep decided to look away or something and even if she wasn't she wasn't going to hold back on the comforting of her girlfriend.
"You did your best. I know you did. You wouldn't be the Blanche I know otherwise."
Magtok

Post by Magtok »

Morty wrote: Oct 04, 2023 6:06 pm[Matters of Espionage]

"I have heard that Reinholdt fathered her, yes. But did not raise her." Calm Reed frowns. Her understanding of this history is possibly even worse than Jenette's, since she wasn't in the Nexus at all at the time. "If her mother then went on to take Magtok as her husband... that is quite the coincidence. If it is a coincidence."
"The best case scenario is that her mom just has weird taste in men and nothing in common with her daughter. The worst is that one or both of them are already using her to set up a new demon portal in the middle of the base, or quietly replacing our leaders with robots or clones. Even if it's nothing, someone should probably make sure, just because of how bad things could be if she's her daddy's girl," Saint Lazarus frowns, brow furrowed as she tries to figure out how best to carry her investigation forward. Obviously she can't take this to Cessie or Wenomir. If they have been turned into robots, she's sure to get kicked out of Vigil or even killed for knowing too much.
"You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
-Daniel H. Wilson
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Matters of Espionage]

"Agreed. And that someone is, by circumstance or providence, us." It's not really unusual for Calm Reed. It's a monk's task to unearth the truth. "But what are our avenues of inquiry? I doubt I would have more luck with Anika than you did."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

A Horse, Of Course

A blue unicorn arrives at the VIGIL skybase via the normal shuttle. There were seats for quadrupedal folks at least. He ought to thank the equestrian presence for that, probably. Jace has been having trouble lately. First, sitting around has lost even what little appeal it already had for him. Idleness does not sit right with him, though he can stomach it longer than his daughter. He has a purpose to be doing. And it's in his being if not necessarily spelled out in his head. And also he's been terribly hungry. Veronica's presence helps but Baccata did explain to Khannie that they get what they need from the living. And that means he needs to actually be around people.

And so the blue unicorn, the very picture of the slender equine creature of legend (except that he's wearing a bag, a long blue scarf, silver horseshoes, and a familiar clinging to his neck) tosses his head and tries not to feel stared at as he looks for someone to talk to about helping out.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

► SHOW SPOILER
[Catgirl Abode]

Blanche doesn't do much beyond a simple nod as she leans into Anika. Internal doubts continue to swirl (if only she'd been more insistent, convinced the commanders to let her gather more people-) but the night elf's affections soothe the roiling currents.

"...I don't know if its a good idea to go after her for information," Blanche finally answers. "I know she likes you, but after what's happened, VIGIL needs to intervene, and a VIGIL member like you strolling up to her front door?" Could go badly "If you're gonna go I'd ask to go with you, but," her shoulder tenses in a building wave. Fingers squeeze into a fist. "honestly, I think I'd shoot her."
~Welcome to Night Vale
Magtok

Post by Magtok »

Morty wrote: Oct 16, 2023 6:49 pm [Matters of Espionage]

"Agreed. And that someone is, by circumstance or providence, us." It's not really unusual for Calm Reed. It's a monk's task to unearth the truth. "But what are our avenues of inquiry? I doubt I would have more luck with Anika than you did."
Saint Lazarus spends a moment or two lost in thought, contemplating the matter. Her hands idly fidget with her new blade, keeping clear of its sharp edge, lest it drain the blood right out of her veins. She doesn't really need that blood for anything, but it'd still feel really weird to have it all get pulled out of her.

"We could wait until she's away on business and search her room?" she suggests. It's not her best idea, and she knows it, but they don't have a whole lot of other leads right now. Neither them are trained detectives, as far as Jen knows, and subtlety isn't their strong suit. The most they can hope for is that it isn't too obvious they've tossed Blanche's room after it's all said and done.
-Daniel H. Wilson
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Catgirl Abode]

Hiep turns this over in her head. She doesn't know this Ilpholin, but what Blanche is saying seems to track. If she led an attack on civilians, it means she and Vigil are effectively enemies. Going to her for information wouldn't end well. But...

"I could talk to her myself. I'm not from Vigil, she has no reason to distrust me. I'll just be someone seeking information."

[Matters of Espionage]

"Straightforward but risky," Calm Reed assesses. "Blanche is cautious and neither of us are inconspicuous. We could be spotted by someone or leave traces." She breathes out. "I do not know if this is more or less complicated than I am used to. It is a monk's duty to gather information, but here few see me as a monk..." After this digression, she ventures: "We could carry out an investigation outside this place. If we cannot safely look into Blanche, we could intercept anything coming and going between her and her fathers. If there is indeed anything."

[A Horse, Of Course]

Sometimes horses approach. And when they do, they have to be greeted, same as anyone. In Jace's case he will see a very small, grey-skilled person with large floppy ears, wearing a green robe. Similar to his daughter's goblin friend, but without the prominent tusks and with a different ear shape.

"Salutations. What can Vigil assist you with today?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

A Horse, of Course

The only problem with talking to small people is that Jace has to look down at them past all that nose of his. Which isn't really a problem but it somehow makes him feel a little silly.
"My name is Jacen." comes a man's voice as the unicorn waves his horn a little.
"I wish to contribute my aid to your organization." Well, he's straightforward at least.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[A Horse, Of Course]

"Of course. That is a matter for one of our commanders, but in the interest of efficiency I need to first make a preliminary assessment of your aptitude and inclinations." This man seems unwilling to use a short word when a longer one will do. "In what manner would you facilitate our operations?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

A Horse of Course

"I am a sorcerer with a decade of experience." Jace nods. He doesn't need to really go into how his magic has gotten...simpler since he's had to learn to cast without his hands. It's not really the casting that's the problem; his horn is the greatest wand he can ask for. But it makes doing more than one thing at a time much harder. And in a way, his theatrics were part of his casting style.
"I taught lessons on elemental magic at one of the more short-lived mage organizations back in the day, actually. I also know how to enchant artifacts, though I'm currently relearning my technique on that one." Very much same problem.
"Also his presence fosters courage and magic. It's a unicorn thing. I'm Zebes, by the way. His assistant." Zebes speaks up from his place clinging to the unicorn's neck. It's quite paradoxical: suddenly Jace has so much more real estate to sit on, but his proper place has gotten somehow more awkward to sit on.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Catgirl Abode]

Anika looks to Blanche and then to Hiep as an idea starts forming in her head. "The cellone!" The druid exclaims as she let's go of her girlfriend to start reaching into her pocket.

She looks back to the catgirl. "As in you, uh, don't need to shoot Ilpholin since all we need to use the magic of the cellone."
Reaching into her pockets the druid fishes out her VIGIL communicator. Anika didn't use these much but the last time Blanche saw it, which must have been months ago, it looked like any other communicator.
But now she must have given one of a model the catgirl has never seen before.

Gone is all the sleekness and comfort leaving only what's essentially a brick that was still small enough to easily fit in a pocket. If anything, this model seemed smaller than the standard one.
And it also looks like it could survive direct contact with a nuclear explosion.

She hands this tiny cinder block to Hiep. "All you need to do is uh..." Anika glances at her girlfriend again. "-think you can show her how to use it? To shout at Ilpholin I mean."

A Horse, of Course

"Hey, need any help?!"

The call comes from a tall purple woman in a red robe whose waving her hand eagerly above her head. The green robed goblin might recall that this druid-person occasionally came by just randomly offering her aid whenever she felt like it. Usually her help wasn't needed but she did occasionally manage to take new members on tours without any major disasters happening.

She stops to look at the two newcomers. "Oh, are you a horse person with a tiny dragon companion or a tiny dragon person with a large horse companion?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Catgirl Abode]

"...is this one of those 'phone' things you use to communicate at a distance?" Hiep has seen them but never used one. She only vaguely grasps how they work. "I was going to just go to her. But if you think using this one is a better idea..."

[A Horse, of Course]

"That's a useful set of faculties. And more within the remit of Commander Mithar. Perhaps she-" The Asura looks... way up at a person he's not too pleased to see. "No, I assuredly have things well in hand. This gentleman wishes to offer his services to us."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

A Horse of Course

"First one. I'm obligated to say that a unicorn is not the same thing as a horse. Though honestly he's a bit small compared to a horse anyway." chirps Zebes, looking back at Jace's body. He's about the size of a riding pony and slender. Jace snorts somewhat irritably.
"Well, I'm glad you think I'd be useful. I'm sure Commander Mithar would agree." Jace nods, thankful that you can't stammer when magically conjuring a voice. Oh, dear. His last meeting with Cessie Mithar was when Libra had made him a pokemon all those years ago. It hadn't looked very flattering for him. And now, after so many years he might meet her immediately after his life went and did this to him again? If he's lucky she won't remember him.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

A Horse of Course

Then why does the location tag say horse? False advertising, clearly.
"Large relative to you I mean. Since you could probably ride around on him with if you wanted to." The woman remarks as she suddenly pictured Zebes with a little helmet on riding around with a lance. "But I'm pretty sure I can help. I got nothing better to do so why don't I give these two a tour of this place?"
The druid puts her hands on her hips and strikes a pose.
"I'm Anika by the way, nice to meet ya'!"
Morty

Post by Morty »

[A Horse, of Course]

On the one hand, handing those two to Anika of all people might not go well. On the other, showing new people around is hardly Dirvak's favorite job.

"That would be useful, but do try to remember they must see one of the commanders."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

A Horse, of Course

Zebes looks down at the unicorn that he is presently sitting on.
"Uh, yeah. Probably."
Maybe she meant like, with a saddle and stuff?
"I'm Jace, and this is Zebes. If you want to give us the tour, that's fine. I will likely be remaining at my own home to sleep, however. If I lived here too long the Bluewood would follow me and you all probably don't want to deal with the sudden influx of trees." he explains.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[A Horse, of Course]

"Sure thing, Mr. D. Consider it taken care of." Anika gives him what could almost be considered a mockery of the two-fingered salute before turning to the newcomers with a friendly, but toothy, grin.

"And you already know my name. But yeah, I totally get you. No idea why people would want to sleep around here if they got an actual home to go to anyway. It's weird having a bunch of people sleeping together y'know? Like it was in the military or something." Just the way she says the word 'military' hints at her distaste of it.

She gestures for them to follow her as she starts to make her way out of the skybase. "But come on, let's get this show on the road. We can skip the barracks since you won't have to go in there anyway." The druid gestures vaguely to the right and then to the left. "But there's the battered shield, we gotta see that. You guys big drinkers? Party people maybe?" Her extremely long eyebrows raise expectingly.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[The Widening Gyre]

It begins with a feeling of pins and needles running down the spine.

Normally that sensation might not have an immediately discernible source, but today there's a distinctive direction to it.

Above the VIGIL base a dark cloud has formed, rotating slowly and gradually expanding into a broad spiraling disk. Dark and stormy, crackles of unearthly colored lightning lick across its surface. A sourceless wind tussles through the island, catching debris in little whirlwinds and carrying with it a deep sense of foreboding.

Those sensitive to magic will feel something dreadfully wrong from the growing storm. While the LAST time a storm engulfed VIGIL it carried a sense of elemental fury this is something... wholly different.

Not just raw power, but a deep unease.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

The Widening Gyre

Somebody notices the sensations, or rather they are informed of the events as metaphysical ripples in reality pluck the threads of a metaphysical web. Limping from the library is a pallid middle-aged man, gripping in one hand a half-empty (and it is most certainly half empty; oh, it's too early for all this) mug of coffee and in the other a battered grimoire. They're wearing tattered black robes and a long pointed hat, a small trinket tied to the end dragging the point forwards and glowing softly. Unusually, he doesn't cast a humanoid shadow; instead, he casts the shadow of an immense spider, the legs scuttling along behind him
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

A Horse, Of Course

"I generally stop at one. Especially since one for me is like, ten." Zebes admits on the subject of alcohol. "And I only really like cider."
Hard liqueur is yucky.
"I...do not know if I can still get drunk. I don't need regular food and drink anymore. Unicorn stuff." Jace adds.
Being a unicorn is weird.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

A Horse, Of Course

"So what do you need? Fairy dust? A lot of sleep?" Anika inquires as she gives the unicorn a curious look. "I've been to a tavern called 'the drunk unicorn', so maybe that means that you can get drunk." Yes, Anika gets all her facts from tavern names. Since it's a well-known fact those never lie.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

A Horse of Course

"I feed by being near people who have determination, courage, and are pure in their life's purpose." Jace "says" as he continues to flub making it look like he's actually talking.
"And before you ask no, he just feels good when he's near them. He's not eating their determination or something. Conservation of energy can suck it, apparently." clarifies his familiar before Anika gets the wrong idea.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

A Horse of Course

"Oh I get it, I've hanged out with beings that need good vibes before." Though she didn't know what that had to do with conservation. Like conservation of nature? Would make sense. "But if you need good vibes there's no better place than this."

She gestures at the sign reading "The Battered Shield".

"Wanna have a look inside? Here's where people mostly hang around during their off-hours. 's a great place to be social and stuff."

A beat as her thoughts catch up with her.

"But what does 'being pure in their life's purpose' mean? Since that kinda sounds like animals to me." It did sound like Jace needed a petting zoo at home.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

A Horse, of Course

”Usually it means someone who has a purpose and pursues it with DETERMINATION! Which unfortunately includes both heroes and religious nutjobs.” Zebes clarifies.
”I think for whatever reason the minds of animals just aren’t quite compatible enough to count.”