The Scorching Depths

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: The Scorching Depths

Post by bc56 »

A Hamlet
Khannie is making a hat!
And for a while at least, the girls will fade into the background of the story.

Rose and Canie exit the ward. Rose, as before, is unaffected. But the demon walking beside her is not a succubus, but a hellhound.
Now when most people imagine a hellhound, they think of a large black dog that breathes fire. And that's not wrong, but the sense of scale is off.
A hellhound of the Scorching Depths is a black dog the size of a rhinoceros, with a fiery maw that dribbles boiling, caustic spittle. Its thick fur is studded with venomous barbs. And it's not stupid; hellhounds are at least as smart as a normal person and known for their brutality and viciousness.
Rose might have seen one before. Feral hellhounds are a serious threat to settlements out here, and in the palace, there's a kennel where several domesticated ones are kept. But Canie's true form is still a terrifying sight to the unprepared.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!

Tags:
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[A Hamlet]

Quite fed up with the state of the world, the kumiho will be fashioning a whole outfit for her friend. Both the floppy sunhat (with horn holes!) as well as a dress to go with it. This rotten place could use at least TWO people dressed decently.

That'll take a while, though, so in the mean time!

Rose doesn't make any dog jokes. She knows Canie probably wouldn't appreciate them and there's NO WAY she's going to be a meany to her new friend! A hellhound is more or less what Rose was expecting so she just keeps practicing along like nothing happened.

The infernal gaiad makes a gesture at the ground, a spear of basalt and obsidian growing out of the earth for her to take.

"Okay! Let's go find our not-friend and make the countryside a little safer," Rose says as she prances forward.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

A Hamlet
With each new article, Marigold will squeal out an "Eee, pretty!" or something similar and immediately put it on. Khannie could get away with giving her a lot more clothes than just a hat and dress

Meanwhile, Rose and Canie set off into the hills.
It doesn't take long to smell what they were warned of. The stench of rotting flesh hangs heavy over these lands. And the source becomes visible soon enough. Conical red and green flowers sprouting all over the hillsides exude the unpleasant stink. What an awful place. The hellhound, who has travelled in silence up to this point, looks visibly nauseated. It has a sensitive nose.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[A Hamlet]

The kumiho is quickly getting an impression that Marigold would love basically whatever she makes for her regardless of what it looks like.

The hat and dress, though, are patterned on what she vaguely recalls Mary's Magical Girl outfit looked like. She remembers Mary being dressed in it when she was becoming more coherent after Sekhmet had confronted her within the grief seed. That outfit had been created by Mary's subconscious, just like all the Magical Girl ensembles are. It isn't too much of a shock that Mary would gravitate toward those colors.

Getting the train of the dress to hang properly over Marigold's back half is definitely tricky.

Meanwhile!

"Wowie ZOWIE! Those are NOT good flowers for frolicking through," Rose says as she hurries through the field with her nose plugged.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

A Hamlet
Marigold is just sort of perpetually happy in general. It's a spring gaiad thing.
Maybe it will rub off on Mary?

Meanwhile, Canie snorts but says nothing. She can't cover her nose, she has paws. Instead she breathes forth a cone of flame, incinerating a large patch of flowers and their stink.
How rude, a voice echoes in the crackling of the flames, If you don't like my garden, leave. Otherwise, consider dying.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[A Hamlet]

"Your garden is pretty stinky,"
Rose helpfully points out as the patch of flowers gets incinerated. "We're looking for a BIG and BAD feral demon that allegedly lives out here! You wouldn't know anything about that, would you?"

Is Rose just playing dumb here?

There's not a bad chance of it.

She's definitely has Buttercup-Brain to a degree like all the once-Buttercups do, but she's tactically clever as well. Playing herself off as a ditz is a pretty good way to get someone to underestimate her.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

A Hamlet
Oh, they probably meant me. But I'm not more feral than you are. And much less feral than your pet.
Canie snarls. It's no one's pet. It burns up another swath of awful flowers.
You're not going to touch me by taking it out on my flowers. I can grow more. And good luck finding me. Even I'm not sure where I am.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[A Hamlet]

It takes a moment for Rose to suddenly realize that she's dealing with, "Wait, Corpse Blossom?"

The gaiad that Sapphira had absolutely corrupted! The one Rose had tried to rescue and got tricked by!

"Wowie zowie it's been forever since I freed you from Sapphira's dungeon and you immediately betrayed me!"

Fun times.

Rose paces in a wide circle, her eyes roving over the hillside. She should have felt it immediately, but somehow she didn't. This is Corpse Blossom's weald.

"Did getting all demoned up make you forget gaiad things? Your weald is part of you just like your body is, silly. You ARE the hillside. When you step out you're making a new body for yourself. You should come out! We can do some frolicking together even if your flowers ARE really smelly."

A beat.

"And maybe you should apologize to Canie? Calling her a pet is really mean."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

A Hamlet
"You always were a little slow on the uptake, Rose." The diseased demonic gaiad rises out of the landscape. "Still bowing and scraping to the pretender queen?" She walks closer, a malevolent smirk on her face. There's a distinct expression of "I know something you don't." "Sapphira will return. In fact, she's already here."
Canie snarls and pounces on Corpse Blossom, but hits only empty air. Blossom reemerges from the ash a short distance away. "This time, we meet on more even ground."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[A Hamlet]

"Ah, you don't have to feel bad for me Corpse Blossom I make up for it with my happy disposition!" Rose replies with blithe positivity. Seems like insulting her is unlikely to get a rise of any kind. "Does that mean you don't want to do any frolicking? I'm sure it'll make you feel better! You're just such a grumpy Gus all the time."

She doesn't reply on the subject of the return of the disposed Queen. That's definitely some important information that she'll need to take to her Mistress. She's also quite certain that Blossom isn't going to take her up on the frolicking offer. But again, that's largely a distraction. She's trying to feel out the extent of her enemy's weald. Given how sick and broken Sapphira's meddling left her that might have stunted her ability to access her eldritch magic.

If the weald isn't healthy Rose might be able to use that to her advantage.

And?

She's also hunting for the locus of the weald. Sort of the equivalent of the BIG TREE of the plum sisters. Or the big pomegranate tree covered in rose vines of hers back at the heart of her own weald. Or Venus' flower covered altar. The heart of Corpse Blossom.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

A Hamlet
The weald's eldritch power is stunted sickly, but as if to compensate, it is flush with infernal energies. The locus of its power is nearby, only a couple hills away. There's a tree, a strangely healthy-looking plant in this hellish landscape, with slick green leaves and fruits like tiny apples. The hillside around it is littered with the remains of dead demons.
"Last time we met, you tore me apart," Blossom snarls at Rose. As Canie pounces again, the corrupted gaiad blows ash out of the palm of her hand into the hellhound's face and suddenly Canie is howling in pain and retreating back from the fight. "It was agonizing. I'm going to return the favor." She gestures and the ash beneath her foe begins to rise to envelop her.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[A Hamlet]

"Didn't I try being friends first? You just don't make very good choices, Blossom," Rose replies with an undercurrent of sadness to her otherwise bubbly tone. She makes a leaping bound and HURLS her spear directly at-!

The ground nowhere near Blossom.

In a burst of explosive growth suddenly there's a full grown pomegranate tree with glassy black bark which Rose promptly lands in, bending down its crown before letting it snap upright, launching a salvo of pomegranates in the general direction of Blossom.

The fruits explode, because of course they do, gushes many times their volume in molten rock everywhere.

Rose's antics seem haphazard and silly, but they're moving her progressively closer to Blossom's tree.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

A Hamlet
"Stop stalling!" Blossom avoids the barrage of pomegranates by melding into the ground and emerging between Rose and her tree. "I'm not limited to faerie tricks. I'll cut you down to size!" Corpse Blossom casts a new spell; using transformative magic (the same sort succubi use to shapeshift) in an attempt to reduce Rose down to a size that could comfortably fit in the palm of someone's hand. Sure it will make her harder to hit, but it will make her slow relative to the full-sized gaiad-succubus, and that distance to the tree will stretch out into much further.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[A Hamlet]

Oh no.

Rose is fun-sized now.

Granted, Blossom doesn't appear to be having very much fun but maybe that will change soon?

Certainly she's hoping her spell is going to make Rose easier to deal with. There's just one problem. Ever seen a nice warm lizard take off like a rocket when disturbed?

Lil' Rose takes off like a shot toward the toxic tree aiming to zig zag around Blossom as she goes!

Nyooooom!
bc56

Post by bc56 »

A Hamlet
Tiny-Rose dashes away!
Blossom appears shocked at first as Rose speeds between her legs, but she whirls around and gives chase... And wow, she is fast. Her sprightly cervine legs, combined with her sheer size compared to Rose's diminished form, make her easily able to overtake the smaller, more nimble gaiad. Her hands reach down to snatch at Rose. "Get back here you little...!"
The relative distance to the tree is quite large. And Canie seems to be fumbling about blindly. Her face is a mass of festering blisters from where the poisonous powder touched her.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[A Hamlet]

So.

Remember how Rose carried the girls down into the Depths?

How that maw on her lower body was dramatically larger than it had any right to be?

When Blossom reaches for Tiny-Rose, the lil'est gaiad whirls around, opens her maw, and spews an overflowing torrent of molten rock at Blossom. Not only does this mean Blossom has a wave of lava to deal with, the force of the attack also sends Tiny-Rose jetting away like a launched soda bottle. When you're that small it doesn't take much force to make you go flying around and there is SIGNIFICANT kinetic force in that spray of lava.

It all looks very silly.

It's too bad Canie is blinded from toxic blisters to appreciate it.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

A Hamlet
And Rose takes off like a bizarre, magical lava barf powered rocket. Blossom is thoroughly splattered with lava, but that doesn't really hurt her; she's as much a creature of fire as Rose is, she just gets it from her demonic side. More upsetting to her is her enemy rapidly closing on her tree. She melds with the ground again and emerges from the trunk of the tree. "Just stop!" She raises her hand to her mouth - she's about to blow another cloud of toxic powder at Rose.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[A Hamlet]

Rose yells back, "Nuh uh! You haven't caught me yet!" in a voice that is exactly as tiny sounding as you would expect from a creature the size of Rose. She goes zipping away again putting more distance between herself and the dust attack.

But that isn't all!

A rather violent earthquake rips through the area quite suddenly! The shaking is enough to potentially throw off Blossom's aim. And it doesn't appear to be stopping, either, but rather steady growing in intensity.

Rose is DEFINITELY up to something. The amount of eldritch magic she's using is spiking with each new wave of shaking.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

A Hamlet
"What are you doing? Stop that!" Corpse Blossom finally conjures a weapon, something like a polearm-sized flyswatter made from branches, and takes a swing at Rose. She's pretty stable, the earthquake isn't bothering her much.
Meanwhile, Canie is backing further off and growling, although that can barely be heard over the tremors. She's still blinded, so she can't really avoid any crevasses that might open up.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[A Hamlet]

Oh no!

Tiny Rose has been swatted! Thankfully her whole body is as tough as the rock her lower half is made of. Less thankfully that branch swatter is probably poisonous, isn't it?

Regardless, Rose is briefly staggered by the swat, though at the first opportunity she'll zip away again.

"Yowie zowie! You just aren't going to going to be nice at all, are you?" Tiny Rose laments.

Here and there cracks in the stone begin forming, superheated gas and water gurgling out of the depths. The earth heaves again as a building rumble grows closer to the surface.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

A Hamlet
Yep the branches are super toxic. It will only take a few seconds for painful blisters to begin forming on any skin they touch. "DIIIIEEEE ALREADY!" Blossom pursues Rose, raising the awful branch again for a powerful strike.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[A Hamlet]

Ouch ouch owie zowie! Those blisters really hurt!

Good thing Rose just fell into one of those growing fissures just in time to avoid a mighty thwacking!

What Rose has been doing could hardly be considered fighting back. She's just been avoiding attacks and generally being distracting.

Why?

Because she's focusing most of her attention on growing out her weald. Usually she propagates it along the surface to create roads linking the important parts of Sekhmet's domain. But this time she extended it underground. Just a very long subterranean fissure.

A magma pipe.

Which just erupted.

The earth splits open along a section of the pipe's length under the hills in an explosion of steam, jagged rock fragments, and lava. There's a pretty good chance that death apple tree is going to get obliterated.

This won't kill Blossom, but it WILL sever her connection to the land. In addition to being very spiritually unpleasant.

Canie should probably be okay since she was moving away from the hills. Probably.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

A Hamlet
"What is thi... NOOO!!" Blossom screams as her tree is rent apart by the geyser of lava. "This isn't over! I'll be back! In my mistress's name!" Blossom bounds away, leaping nimbly from one area of rubble to the next. Rose could catch her and probably bring her down while she's weakened.
Canie isn't so lucky. The hellhound, still blinded by Blossom's poison, is swiftly sliding down into the ravine, unable to see well enough to find purchase. If Rose takes the time to save her, Blossom will undoubtedly get away.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[A Hamlet]

Ah, the super-hero dilemma. Stop the villain or save someone!

The problem here is that Rose is not a hero. Her obligation is primarily to ensuring the safety of Queen, her domain, and select charges. Some random hellhound who got clowned on and subsequently fell into a hole isn't very high on her priority list. Especially since Blossom has teased knowledge about a dire threat to Sekhmet's domain. If Canie manages to survive in the volcanic fissure for a minute or two while Rose attends to more pressing matters then great! She'll still be able to carry out her Oath. But if Canie perishes because of her own weakness and incompetence?

Oh well!

That's just how things go sometimes.

Springing froth from the growing lava field come swarms upon swarms of rose brambles, aiming to snag Blossom mid-leap when won't be able to alter her trajectory. Should the vines grab her she'll find herself wrapped up like a fly in a spider's cocoon.

What do you mean, back? comes Rose's voice, hissed from the volcanic vents and the rasping of the flower brambles. We aren't done being buddies yet! I bet Queen Sekhmet would just LOVE to hear what you have to say about the deposed meany.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

A Hamlet
Canie falls into the lava with a horrific, bestial scream and the smell of burning flesh. She's lava *resistant* at best. Her thrashing is simply spreading the lava onto more of her body.

"Like I said. You're slow on the uptake," Blossom jeers. "I know Sapphira is near. She played you for a fool and you happily brought her back into her domain. She played you for a fool and you gladly took the role. She'll make you grovel and beg for her favor, just you wait."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[A Hamlet]

Is Blossom trying to claim that Mary is some sort of reincarnated Sapphira? That seems like a bit of a stretch to Rose.

Oh fun!

Well, now that Blossom is all trussed up with nowhere to go more brambles go snaking down into the fissure to fish for some hellhound. Once Canie is grabbed she'll be hauled back up to ground level with a minimal application of thorns. She managed to be basically useless in completing Rose's task! But that's okay. At least she tried. Since Canie managed to survive (yay!) Rose will still make good on her Oath.

Oh, that's neat. Didn't she try that last time and it didn't work out very well? Oh yeah! That's exactly what happened, hisses the lava vents. Now let's just get you nice and snug while we get you ready for your trip back to the palace.

One of the upsides to having an infernal gaiad for the captain of the guard is that Rose can relay information quite quickly. The nearest guardhouse along Rose's road will receive a whispered message carried by the volcanic winds that a traitor has been captured that needs to be taken back to the palace.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

A Hamlet
She could be talking about Khannie. If anyone could hide their demonic nature from Rose, fake being a fae, and have motivation to befriend Mary, it would be Sapphira.

The summons is received by the guards at that post, and three of them leave to join Rose. It will take some time for them to arrive.

And Canie is fished out of the lava having suffered pretty awful burns. The hellhound has lost almost all her fur and is whimpering in pain. Hellhounds heal quickly enough to be nearly indestructible, but lava and magical poison, especially combined, can overcome that.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[A Hamlet]

She COULD be talking about Khannie. Granted, Rose doesn't know much about Mary's friend aside from the fact that she's Mary's friend. It's also possible that Blossom is simply trying to sow chaos. One way or the other, Rose will deliver the prisoner back to the palace and it'll be up to the Queen what to do from there.

So. For the time being Rose will be trying to scrape all the DOOM GOOP off Canie. Unfortunately she doesn't have much in the way of healing capabilities. Hopefully clearing off the things damaging the hound will be enough to let her natural healing kick in.

Also?

A single rose vine is busy growing back toward the village. Rose is busy washing away the poison and malevolent magic from herself, so it'll be a little while before she should be manifesting again. Which means she'll need another way to check on the girls. Wonder what they're up to by now? If nothing else, they probably noticed the earthquake. Given that they were outside and well away from the volcanic fissures it was probably more fun and less scary.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

A Hamlet
The remaining magma and poison is cleared off Canie and she begins to heal. By the time Rose's vibe reaches the village, she's starting to regrow patchy fur and she can see again.

But when Rose's vibe gets a view of the village, it's not there anymore. The ward still stands, but the buildings have been replaced... By a mangrove swamp overgrown with hellish fiery marigold blossoms. The roots of many trees seem to be warped into the shapes of cages.
What the Hell happened here?
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[A Hamlet]

Oh!

Marigold must have planted herself in the village? That seems like an odd place to do it, especially since she was wanting to head back to the island the Queen's mortal world home located on.

Unless.

Rose will spread her brambles further, reaching into swamp so she can try to communicate. Finding Marigold should be easy, she's all over! But where's that silly fox that's Marigold's friend?

Marigold? Did something happen, this wasn't where you wanted to root, comes a voice from the brambles rasping together.