Inside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Re: Inside

Post by [brackets lover] »

[Widening Gyre]

Asami graciously accepts the earplugs, beaming with relief. "Okay! Thank you so much!" She puts the earplugs in her ears, wincing as she looks towards the sky in nervous anticipation. The noise partially suppressed, she eases up and asseses the situation. With a deep breath, she addresses both Harley and Raheeda while pointing at the anchor, "I'm gonna try and get get that thing back up." Undeterred, she walks over to the nearest barb (or light-warps, if the distance necessitates it) and stands right in front of it. With a confidant nod, she lets white light pour out of her eyes in an expression of her power. The sheer heat contained in her body conducted into the material where the barb was situated and melted into lava, the effect spreading about a meter outward from Asami for the moment.

Tags:
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

The Widening Gyre

"Oh hey!" Harley is glad to see that Raheeda is unharmed, and has no problem with her proximity. He glances past her at the writhing snake monster. "Yeah, those guys are bad news for sure." What gave it away?

Turning back to Asami, he nods approvingly. "You're welcome, now you should get-" His eyes widen as the girl warps away and begins to melt everything around her. Well, she wasn't quite as helpless as she appeared. At least the ear plugs helped? Since she's busy shaping the battlefield, the least he can do is help keep the rabble away.

..."Okay well, back into the fray. Tag team that snake guy, get your spear back?" he suggests, before reversing the grip on his knife and running back towards the battleground, heading for the multi snake that Raheeda had previously targeted. When he's close enough he leaps at it, hoping that a full body crash could break up some of the snake swarm.
horses can attack and eat me
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Day of the Duel]

"Aye. I'd rather not linger myself."

Without saying more, the detective walks away, trying to summon a haughty bearing to conceal his doubts and profound weariness.

[The Widening Gyre]

So far, so good. Once the skeletons are gone, everyone can focus on closing the portal. Somehow. One thing at a time. Michalson leans out of cover and takes a few shots at the melee skeletons, hoping to score some hits while they're distracted by others.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Day of the Duel]

The swordsman watches over his shoulder as the detective goes. He's not quite sure who he is putting up a front for. Sighing, he turns his attention to task yet left undone. He tidies up the grave, leaving the silver sword to mark it. The horse, he leaves where he put it. Then he gets to cleaning debris from the destruction.

By the time he's done, it's still raining. He looks at the remaining wreckage and concludes he can't fix it all himself. Once again, he slightly regrets not having taken Banael with him - the angel's craftmanship sure would be handy. Shaking his head, he leaves his yard and steps back on the street. "Think I'll go for a walk", he says, looking up to the sky on a whim, then disappears in the mist.
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

The Widening Gyre

Raheeda's eyes widens as she watches Asami fly off.
She had been neither.

"Oh. Uh- good luck, magic child!" The yuan-ti exclaims before turning to Harley.
"Wow, you found a magic child." She remarks in a more hushed tone. "That's the rarest kind of child." She had only heard stories about them!

"With her we can beat these guys easily." She reaches into the folds of her robes and somehow produces what's not quite a spear. It's a glaive.
Though Raheeda hadn't been ready for Harley to charge off so soon. She had barely given him a nod before he went leaping at those snakes.
Given little choice she follows and just try to give anyone attempting to attack him a piece of her glaive.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[brackets lover] wrote: Nov 13, 2023 4:10 pm [Philip Memorial Library]

"My head just got all spinny and my legs kinda... Hurt too much to control? I don't know, this never happened before," explains Asami shyly. She weakly flopped on her back and let her arms fall to the side, carefully stretching her legs out. From here, she looked away from Khannie and pouted.

"How come you only care about me now?" she mumbles morosely, the bitterness in her tone made all the more clear by the obscurity of her words
Khannie purses her lips at the mumbling. Her human ears aren't quite as sensitive as unicorn ears or fox ears but she could still KINDA make that out. "I've been trying to help you out for the past half an hour I dunno what you're your deal is. I can't tell if the stuff you're doing and saying is serious or if you messing with me. I just... I can't get a read on you, okay? One second you're trying to bully someone and the next you're acting hurt. I can't make heads or tails of you."

She huffs, closing her eyes and pinching the bridge of her nose.

"Okay so your legs hurt. Have you got any idea why? Is it just from walking a bunch?"

She's still trying to figure out how to solve this which is maybe the completely wrong approach. Khannie's formative years were in a Mystery Dungeon world. She treats most everything like a puzzle to solve.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Draco Street Bakery]

Some time has passed.

But she's here.

She's here because she promised.

Khannie had stopped by here earlier on her quest to be kinda less of a jerk to Kol and a dragon bakery seemed like a good idea at the time. Jokes on her, though. Turns out they don't bake special stuff just for dragons, it's only a bakery run by dragons. Whatever.

Only problem was, the place had a weird undercurrent of corruption Khannie couldn't quite identify and when she asked about it the assistant and his rat who sadly didn't control the movements of his body explained the weird stuff going on. Or, well, that wasn't the problem. Khannie was busy that day and promised to come back again later and see if she could help out maybe?

The problem was the fact that, while everyone was distracted, Maridia snuck into a box of tarts and ate the whole thing. Khannie didn't realize this until she found a fat snoozing dragon with a face covered in tart jelly in her backpack.

AND SO!

Khannie has returned.

She'll march right up to Rowan, brandish a fairy dragon at him, and shake Maridia until an apology comes out.

After a good jiggling Maridia gives a rather lame sounding, "Sorry I ate all your tarts... They were really good?"

That'll have to do.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Philip Memorial Library]

Asami puffs out her cheeks, responding in a forced deadpan manner, "What a weird thing to say, completely unprompted." She rolls over to her side, facing Khannie. "Y-yeah, I guess I just kinda ran out of energy," Asami says, her eyelids drooping as she frowns depressedly.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Draco Street Bakery

It was probably a pretty big surprise when Khannie went to the bakery and found that giant dragon from the Riverslides there. It's a decent sized bakery but Rowan is pretty huge so really there's only ever two or three people working there at a given time. Right now, as back then, he's working the front while someone else works in the back.
He is...pretty much exactly the same as when they met in the waterpark. He's just wearing an apron this time.

He's also sitting there with his hands on his hips looking at the two as if they were troublesome children, which REALLY isn't helping the fact that he gets awkward about people telling him he looks fatherly.
"You're quite the troublemaker. You're just lucky those tarts got paid for." And maybe he's still a little bit upset at her master for casually calling him fat.
"But you didn't seriously come all the way out here just for that did you?"
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

"This is what I'm talking about," Khannie says, her expression a war between confusion, concern, and irritation. "You gripe about stuff and then when people start acting concerned you try to gaslight 'em like nothing's wrong. Fine, whatever, how do you un-run outta energy? Is this like when that darkness spell messed you up? There's definitely some weird gloom stuff going on in here; I dunno if the darkness is even natural. It sure as heck feels weird."

VERY weird.

She COULD do something about that, but she's trying to get a straight answer out of Asami.

That might be a doomed endeavor, though.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Draco Street Bakery]

"I can pay for 'em again if you want me to," Khannie says. "And it'll come straight outta Maridia's shiny coins to lay on fund. I've gotta teach her that thieving isn't okay 'cuz this isn't a forest and she isn't stealing from squirrels."

No, she's stealing from a talking rat!

"Nooo! I like my shiny coins!" Maridia laments.

"Not just for that. I..." Khannie trails off, her eyes flicking to the side. "There's a couple reasons. There's this boy I like that I've been kinda mean to and I wanna make it up for him. Umm... a dragon boy. I thought he might like something cool from the bakery but I dunno what to get him. He breaths out fish sometimes? Dragon tastes kinda depend on the sorta dragon, right?"

What do occasionally fish-breathing dragons like?

"Also I feel like maybe I can... help? With the stuff you were telling me about yesterday? I dunno how I would but it feels like I should."

It definitely isn't clear how this small child could help with Rowan's 'servant of an evil hag' problem.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Draco Street Bakery

The two people in front of them would have wildly different reactions to the insinuation that the rat is in charge.
"Once is plenty." Rowan says with a shake of his head.
Then he goes among the shelves, stopping at a shelf and reaching down to the bottom to get a package of little fish shaped pastries. Since he is VERY TALL he has to bend down a lot to get that far.
"Something like this maybe? I can always get out the sea-salt caramels." Everyone likes sea salt caramels.

"Um. Well I did admit yesterday that there's some bad magic going on. Not in my pastries! They're extremely safe I promise. But um. I'm not sure what you expect to do about it." She has a tiny dragon so she's probably a mage of some kind.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Draco Street Bakery]

Maybe Khannie should just utter the rat conspiracy aloud and see what happens.

"Are you sure?" Khannie asks. "'cuz Maridia deserves some punishment for this one."

She is an insistent girl for sure.

Anyway! She eyes the fish shaped pastries. Would Kol be insulted if she gave him those? Like... would he think she's making fun of him 'cuz sometimes her burps up fish outta nowhere? She doesn't want to insult him on accident. "Maybe just the caramels would be better?" Khannie replies, flopping Maridia over her shoulder like a sack of potatoes to prevent the fairy dragon from getting into anything else.

"Definitely, I can feel it. Dunno what it is, exactly. Feels like... teeth. And that twisty feeling when you're really hungry. But also kinda like that feeling when you ate WAY too much?" Khannie says, wrinkling her nose as she tries to make sense of it. "Gunna admit I dunno exactly what I would do about it, either? But it feels like I should? Or can? Maybe both?"

That doesn't make a great deal of sense, Khannie, try again.

"Okay so I'm a unicorn, right? I just like using the human illusion 'cuz I've got hands and stuff. And not like the colorful folks who live on Carousel Court, exactly. I've got a divine mantel and... stuff? And I'm trying to figure out how to actually use it to help people. My thing is purifying corruption. And something definitely feels like it needs some purifying in here. I just... dunno how to do that? Exactly?"

It's still an ongoing learning experience. Also calling her mantel 'death of corruption' doesn't sound as nice.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Asami raises an eyebrow at Khannie while still frowning. "Did I do something wrong?" asks Asami in an uncertain tone. Then, a beat. "Um, I should be fine with some rest for now. I should probably get something to eat soon, too. And I don't remember any darkness spell, magic has never really hurt me before."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Draco Street Bakery

Rowan nods and fetches some sea salt caramel dragon cookies. Much more tasteful.

At her explanation though he glances around the room to make sure it's just the four of them before he leans in.
"Okay look. I'm a warlock, okay? I can't help it; I was magically intoxicated and coerced into the deal. Everything I sell here is perfectly safe. But I can't help that I'm a magical critter and my magic comes from Her.
So yes there is some bad stuff going on but you really don't want to piss off Granny. Loosening her grip is not gonna go anywhere."
he whispers.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

Did she-

Seriously?

Ugh.

Are things just going to get worse if she responds to that?

Probably.

Khannie decides to just drop it and instead, "Okay lets get you outta here. And I think I can brighten things up a little, hang on."

Then she sort of...

Pokes at her forehead a bit. Aaand okay there's her unicorn horn! Just sorta pops out in a spray of shadow. Great. And like a bathtub with the drain pulled the gloom in the library begins flowing into her horn. It looks... really weird. Like the dark is a physical thing rather than a mere absence of light. And in its place a soft, pure luminescence seems to cling to everything.

Khannie offers Asami a hand up. "I can help you walk. Does the light help any?"

[Draco Street Bakery]

Okay the caramels look pretty good.

Khannie wrinkles her nose a bit. "Dad says I'm not allowed to have any warlocks until I'm twenty."

That might have been a joke?

Maybe?

The options are getting married to her, worshiping her, or what was the other one? Selling their soul to her or something? None of those sound great or like the sort of a thing a kid should be doing so dad is probably right.

"So 'Granny' is your patron? What's she like?" Khannie asks as she lets her horn slip through her illusion and begins pacing around the shop. A human girl with a unicorn horn sticking out of her forehead looks a little odd but Khannie doesn't care. She's just sorta... letting her horn pull her. Kinda. Following her intuition here.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Asami accepts the hand, managing to awkwardly stumble up. She clutched the side of her head with her other hand. "Nope!" says Asami in a strangely enthusiastic way. Khannie's gesture seems to have improved Asami's mood, as she has a relaxed smile on her face as she cheerily says, "Thank you for your help, though. I really appreciate it!" This facet of Asami was incredibly bubbly and oozed a contagious positive energy.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Rebonack wrote: Nov 16, 2023 9:25 pm [Draco Street Bakery]

Okay the caramels look pretty good.

Khannie wrinkles her nose a bit. "Dad says I'm not allowed to have any warlocks until I'm twenty."

That might have been a joke?

Maybe?

The options are getting married to her, worshiping her, or what was the other one? Selling their soul to her or something? None of those sound great or like the sort of a thing a kid should be doing so dad is probably right.

"So 'Granny' is your patron? What's she like?" Khannie asks as she lets her horn slip through her illusion and begins pacing around the shop. A human girl with a unicorn horn sticking out of her forehead looks a little odd but Khannie doesn't care. She's just sorta... letting her horn pull her. Kinda. Following her intuition here.
Draco Street Bakery

"I'm pretty sure she's older than twenty." Rowan replied, completely confused as to what Khannie is getting at.

"She's a hag. Her word, not mine. You ever read Hanzel and Gretel? Imagine that kinda witch, only she acts like she's your gramma."
"She's the living embodiment of hunger itself. And we shouldn't even be discussing her here but whatever. Plenty of her minions are horrible slavering ghouls but I guess she wanted you to not get your head cut off so you're just a dragon who's always hungry." grumps Ratticus the rat from Rowan's apron pocket.
The sense of Granny's magic is pretty easy to spot. Namely, it's the warlock right in front of her. With maybe a whiff of it back where the ovens are.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Drako Street Bakery]

Isn't it clear?

Khannie is also potentially a warlock patron! Rowan just has to ask his DM for permission to change his Eldritch Pact and BAM! Problem solved! Surely he isn't high enough level yet where that would matter.

Anywho!

Hag stuff.

"You mean the witch that was baking kids into gingerbread?" Khannie asks, looking suitably disgusted that could be a real thing. All of a sudden she's eyeing the baked goods in here WAY more critically than she was a few moments ago.

Especially that tray of gingerbread men over there.

"I'm gunna guess stuffing her in her own oven wouldn't work?"
Khannie ventures. It worked for Hanzel and Gretel, after all. "Okay, umm... So I'm not even sure how this works. Or if it'll work? But I'm gunna try... something? I dunno I'll give it a shot."

Khannie screws her eyes shut, a magnesium white point of light surrounding by swirls of shadowy purple and midnight indigo begins building at the tip of her horn. The blazing light slowly and steadily grows to roughly the size of a grape and then POP!s with a loud snap, spraying blue and white and purple sparkles everywhere like a tiny firework.

...Khannie may or may not have blessed Rowan with a spark of purification?

It might do nothing.

Or it might result in him feeling not quite as hungry anymore. Who knows!

Khannie opens one eye. Then the other. "Did it do anything?"

That's definitely a huge shift in attitude all of a sudden.

"Uh... you're welcome? I figured it was worth a shot," Khannie replies uncertainly. She really can't make heads or tails of Asami. But she still feels like she should at least try to be friendly. It's a difficult task sometimes but she may or may not be up to it!

C'mon, if she can put up with Braon then SURELY she can put up with Asami, right?
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Asami tilts her head contently, weakly looking back the way they came. All of a sudden, however, she stops in her tracks. "Ah, wait, the books!" Asami exclaims, "Since we already found 'em, let's at least see what they say on the whole soullessness thing."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Draco Street Bakery

"Maybe not literally but Ratticus assures me that she has allegedly eaten people before. Fairies, man."

And then pretty light show!
The burst of purity seems to have cleaned up the magical stain Granny left in the kitchen when she used its oven to talk to Rowan.
And Rowan does not seem to have exploded or burst into hives.
"Um. Well nothing BAD happened so I'll call that a win."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Draco Street Bakery]

Huh.

Khannie really isn't sure what, if anything, that did. It does feel SLIGHTLY better in here now? So Khannie is thinking it must have done something. She just isn't sure WHAT that something actually is.

At the comment about fairies Khannie gives a, "Yeah, haha, they sure are weird."

Depending on how much attention Rowan is paying, he might have noticed that Khannie's briefly fox-shaped shadow just stuck her tongue out at them.

Those weird ol' fairies.

"So... did that do anything? It feels like it mighta done something but I'm not really sure what," Khannie admits.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

"I've got 'em in my backpack," Khannie says, flopping the pack onto one of the nearby reading tables. The mood whiplash sure is a thing, isn't it?

The unicorn-horned girl pulls out a pair of chairs and sits down, zipping her pack open and pulling out what looks to be some sort of reference book on empyreans. Things that are known. Or at least things people are pretty sure they know.

Okay. Table of contents. "Most of this stuff is on 'putti' and the arenas that manifest into the world sometimes. I guess that kinda makes sense? Since that's the sorta thing most people would encounter since that's a big even sorta deal."

As opposed to the aspirant empyreans, the ones like Lapis, who can easily pose as normal people and go undetected.

Ah! Okay, preternatural physiology. That's probably what they're looking for, right?

"Umm... there aren't really any headings under 'soullessness' that I'm seeing. Maybe it's like- Oh wait, here. 'It's speculated that the soulless nature of empyreans renders them unable to change without outside support, which explains why they interact with the material world. By taking in tohu they gain the capacity to grow.'"

A beat.

"What the heck's tohu? Does this thing have a glossary?"
Khannie mutters, flipping to the back of the book.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Asami sits down as well, weakly holding her head up with one hand. She chuckles amusedly at the mention of tohu, chiming in, "Touhou? Like the video games? I guess its really unlikely for that to be related..." She pauses for a brief second before pointing an index finger up in gesticulation, simultaneously exclaiming, "BUT!" She then spreads the rest of the fingers of the gesticulating hand out, grinning widely and continuing, "Its not like its a zero percent chance, am I right?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Draco Street Bakery

"I'm...not sure?" Rowan glances around, trying to get a feel for what's around.
"I think you might have at least cleaned the place up a little? Like I said, at least nothing BAD happened." Rowan does still feel hungry. Because he's always kinda hungry. It's just something he's learned to try living with.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

"Oh sweet it DOES got a glossary. No, not a video game. It means 'formless' I guess? Like the stuff that everything was made of before there was stuff," Khannie replies. "Huh. I'm pretty sure that's basically what my shadow magic runs on. It isn't really anything, but it COULD be everything."

Good ol' primordial darkness.

Alas, it sounds like it has a zero percent chance of having anything to do with touhou.

[Draco Street Bakery]

Khannie joines Rowan in glancing around.

Nothing bad is definitely a good description of what just happened.

"Maybe?" Khannie replies with a shrug. "I dunno, it just felt like I needed to do SOMETHING. Even if I dunno what the something was? How'd you get tangled up with some kinda hunger hag thing, anyway?"

It sounds like there's a story behind that.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

"Sounds more like a religious concept to me," Asami refutes, "There's a similar concept in Indian religions. Nothing can have a lot of interpretations. My spiritual sense doesn't pick anything up when near any empyrean, yet even inanimate objects have something to sense. Wait..." Asami raises a finger to her chin, deep in contemplation for a mintue before continuing, "I felt that same sort of emptiness in outer space. Perhaps Empyreans are composed of cosmic dust? Or maybe they don't have any carbon in their bodies? Hmm, I think i'll run my own experiments when I have the time."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Draco Street Bakery

"Um. Well I still don't know how she found us, but Granny called me and my roommate into her realm. Frank jumped out the window but she got my tripped out on waffles and strongarmed me into accepting the binding ritual because I was all zonked out on faerie magic." Rowan explains.

"Because you ate her food like an idiot!" interjects Ratticus, rubbing his face with his paws in exasperation.

"I just woke up and I was really hungry! I wasn't paying attention."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

"Maybe? I dunno much about religious stuff," Khannie admits. She knows a little from the histories that she has read. That means she knows a decent bit of mythology. But in terms of modern practices? Not so much. "Tohu really isn't nothing, I don't think. It's like... oh! It's like how you get up in the morning and you can do basically whatever you want during the day. That stuff you could do isn't nothing. It's potential. That's what the darkness I dredge up is like. It could be anything. Hang on-"

Then?

Khannie touches two fingers to the tip of her horn before slowly pulling them away. She places her hands against each other, then slowly draws them apart, making a little rectangle using her thumbs and pointer fingers. Within the 'window' space is something like deep, dark water. Something that ripples and flows. The teen's brow is knit in concentration.

"Haha, I've only done this a couple times. It's pretty hard since the dark doesn't like sitting still."

It only lasts for maybe four seconds before it vanishes with a POP! of sensations. Lights and colors. Scents and sounds.

Then some talk of cosmic dust!

Khannie wrinkles her nose there. "Hmm... according to the book they're just, like, avatars or something. The real empyrean doesn't actually exist in our world and the things down here are just projections or something. Maybe that's why they don't seem like they've got souls? 'cuz the real them is somewhere else?"

[Drako Street Bakery]

"It sounds like your buddy had the right idea," Khannie surmises.

Responding to fae by jumping out the nearest window is a wise course of action.

"Eating faerie food is a bad idea 'cuz then it's part of you. And whatever nonsense it's made outta is part of you, too,"
Khannie says. "Umm... Actually I wanna try something. Hang on a sec."

Then?

She... sits down on the floor? And casts a sleeping spell. On herself. And slumps forward, her head thumping against the bakery's counter. Almost immediately her shadow begins to move, taking on the shape of a fox rather than a girl with a unicorn horn.

"Holy heck it smells like kid-eating-hag in here," the shadow complains as she separates from the floor, turning into a floofy black fox rather than a simple lack of light. The rat may or may not be able to tell that this is a kumiho; a type of wildling well known for devouring hearts and Names. Definitely dangerous! But it may be worth braving that danger to give her headpats. "Okay, wait, hang on, I'm getting what Glister was up to. Bear with me I only really get bullet points so I dunno exactly what's going on."

The fox sits down on her haunches, her tail flipping back and forth.

"Okay. So you got arm-twisted into cutting a deal with a hag? That's gunna really suck for you," the fox helpfully points out.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Asami instinctively recoils a bit when Khannie performs her parlor trick. "Right, well, that's at least something to go off of," Asami remarks. She clicks her tongue before letting out a medium-high-pitched yawn. She slumps forward and lets her chin rest on the table, her eyes watering up.