Inside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Re: Inside

Post by Keeper »

Draco Street Bakery

"Well yes I kind of figured that out when I became ninety percent faerie nonsense by volume. Trust me, I used to obey the laws of physics." Rowan flaps his wings which actually propel him a few inches into the air, starkly defying all known laws of aviation.

And then a Fox! He knew this girl was weird. Hopefully Maridia doesn't get into the tarts with her human body unconscious.
"Yes. I know." Rowan says simply. She's about six months late on all this info."I have a familiar to remind me of how stupid I was."
"Every day! And remind when he's being stupid in present tense. Which is often, but that's why he needs me." Ratticus says with a barely perceptible hint of pride.
"But yes. I've already had Ratticus give me the run-down on Granny."

Tags:
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Philip Memorial Library]

Khannie frowns a bit as Asami seems to be nodding off. She closes the book with a thump and stuffs it back into her pack.

"Okay we're gunna get you back to campus. I'll read over the book. If you wanna talk about what I found you can meet up with me during lunch break at the school library," Khannie says. Unless stopped she'll help Asami up and get out of this creepy book crypt.

[Drako Street Bakery]

The fox stands up and begins pacing around Rowan, sniffing now and again. "Well you didn't get mixed up with a Dreamlands sidhe. This is something else. Dunno if that's a good thing or a bad thing."

It might just be an 'is' thing.

"Have you tried figuring out where this creep came from? The Nexus has got all sortsa weird- MARIDIA GET OTTA THAT FUDGE!"

The fairy dragon, startled, bangs her head on the fudge cabinet. "I just wanted to taste it!"
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by [brackets lover] »

[Leaving Philip Memorial Library]

As Khannie helps Asami out, she nods in agreement. "Hmm, in that case, I'll bring Darko with me for no reason at all." A beat. "Again, thank you so much for your help!"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Draco Street Bakery

"Well, she said she didn't want my soul, which is good." Rowan says with a hopeful shrug of his wings.
"Yeah she just has a claim for your future, and made you a species that is known for living disgustingly long. Which I'm stuck with 'cause cookies don't age either. AND she messed with your name, though not capital-N Name."
It's not like a Dreamlands fae where his identity got stolen. More like Granny just made his last name Elkthorn since he might as well have the whole family package.
"There's kind of a lot of fey. How do you narrow it down?"

"You get out of there, I spent three hours watching that idiot make those!" Maridia appears to have a chubby rat trying to wave her away with a tiny wizard scepter.
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Destiny Temple]

Hiep have found herself here.

At a beauty parlor.

Like many times before she isn't exactly sure why she's here but apparently something here of all places is attempting to alter destiny itself. If this is even possible is questionable but just the attempt is concerning enough. Thus, she must investigate.

Hiep might not have been at many beauty parlors but even she can tell that this one looks pretty impressive. All the walls facing the street are made of glass. Making one able to see what's going on inside. There's what seems to be a gym where people are performing yoga and under that people getting their hair and nails done. The bottom floor seems to be the reception and waiting room.

This particular parlor stands out a bit though as one can see while entering through the front door. Since as the name suggests it has some temple-like aesthetics like greek-styled (not that Hiep would know what "greek" is) iconic pillars and a large statue of an woman in flowing robes standing in the center of the lobby. In fact, if Hiep pays close attention she might note that this woman seems to be pictured all over this place. Her image being carved into the top of each pillar.

Speaking of standing out though, the only person waiting in the waiting room does not seem like a person that often go to beauty parlors. She appears to have fallen asleep in the wooden chair she's in and is soundly snoring.

There's no one at the reception desk at the moment which is a bit odd considering how busy this place seems to be.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Draco Street Bakery]

"I mean, that doesn't mean a whole lot. What's that even mean, anyway? That some crummy jerk gets to decide what happens to you when you die?" the fox replies. All that stuff is weird and confusing in her opinion. Near as she can tell souls aren't even a consistent THING in the Nexus. She suspects it's because no one is actually sure what they even are.

Maybe that's why there are five bazillion different types of fae and demons and dragons, too.

The fox' ears fold back when names are brought up.

"So if I talked to your friend who knew you before all this dumb stuff happened would he tell me you've been acting any different?" the fox asks. "'cuz that's what a Name is. It isn't some metaphysical gobbly-gook; it's the part that you play in the world's story. And if you've got a new species and a new role and even part of a new name that is definitely a new Name. Names change all the time; you think you're the same person you were ten years ago?"

With a little 'hup!' the fox hops up on the counter.

Is the counter a sanitary place for a fox?

Maybe not. But who's going to tell her to get down?

"Glister definitely did SOMETHING. The thing that grabbed you's all twisted up and it would twist you up, too. But I think her little sparkle-pop did some untwisting. Dunno if the hag would be able to undo it as soon as she shows up to bug you again."

Meanwhile!

Maridia flops onto the floor dramatically. "But it smells good!" she laments pitifully.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Draco Street Bakery

"It means wherever I'm supposed to spend forever is still where I get to go, wherever that is. Unlike most warlocks whose patrons get a claim on them forever. Granny already basically owns me; I don't want to see what happens if she actually did."

He shakes his head. "Frank says I'm more or less the same actually. I've asked the same question. The main thing was you know. Being hungry all the time and having the constant urge to get good at baking. That did come with the tail." Rowan's thick crocodilian tail thumps on the floor for effect. There's also that he runs on cartoon logic a lot of the time but that's not really a personality thing. It's part of his weird magical body.

"Ratticus suspects that Granny left me with one of her less Problematic aspects so I exist as a minion on call for her without getting my head cut off from being more monstrous." Rowan was given her aspect as a Dragon: powerful, huge and hungry. Just with all the other details carefully sanded down to be cutesy and friendly to keep him safe from Heroes.
Morty
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Destiny Temple]

What are those people doing, bending every which way like that? This looks like martial arts training but obviously isn't. This is unfamiliar territory for her.

And who's this? Some kind of snake-folk? Maybe she knows where all the staff seem to have gone. Maybe this is one big mistake, no one is messing around with destiny here and she can go home. She knocks on the wall next to the sleeping woman.

"Hello?"
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Widening Gyre]

Between firing his shots, Michalson might realize someone is looming behind him. It's Senshi Hoshiki, a black haori hanging on his shoulders, otherwise clad in white. His hands rest on the hilts of his swords. Somehow, the large man snuck there unnoticed. "You pick the oddest fights, detective", the swordsman comments next time Michalson ducks for cover.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Destiny Temple]

The woman awakens abruptly. "Whu?!"
She stands up and looks around before her eyes lock onto Hiep. "Oh." She puts her hands on her hips. "Well, you invited me and here I am. So what's the deal? I don't like to be in a transparent building for long." The snake-woman gestures at the glass-walls facing the street.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Destiny Temple]

Hiep stares blankly at the snake-woman. That was the last thing she expected to hear.

"I didn't invite you. Never seen you before in my life, as a matter of fact."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Destiny Temple]

Hiep gets a stare back that's just as blank.
"...so did whoever you serve invite me? I mean, I never seen you in my life either, lady." She gestures at the Sinderal. "I think I'd remember the green hair for one. Pretty subtle though. I could never have guessed." Have guessed what?

Hiep may or may not be aware that they're being watched by security cameras. But that would require her to know what those actually do.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

The Widening Gyre

Kothar raises his shield above him as the bolts begin to rain down upon him and he climbs with one arm and and both legs. The shield devours the magic that comes near it, and the pattern of eyes graven into its rim glows red in response. It weakens the onslaught enough for Kothar to keep breathing and keep climbing.
Down below, Achuak nocks a mundane arrow and fires at another skeleton. Holy arrows are valuable and while his dad can make more, he'd rather not squander them; with the ritual disrupted there's little reason to expend more of his specialized ammunition.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[The Widening Gyre]

Khannie's double goes charging into the middle of the melee skeletons and, thankfully, they crowd around it to try slapping it to bits! Of course, this causes it to promptly explode in their faces in a concussive blast of power. For the most part this doesn't destroy the relatively fragile undead, but it does a pretty good job of crippling them.

This makes them easy pickings for the shots from Michalson and Achuak. Since the skeletons are moving slowly after being staggered by the shadow blast cutting them down will be relatively easy.

Raheeda points out to Harley that lightning monsters invading the city are hostile! No one is particularly shocked by this development.

Not even Kothar, despite the fact the lightning snakes are shooting lightning bolts at him! Once they get close they'll begin striking at him with their fangs, their bites stealing breath and replacing it with lightning! Considering that Kothar needs breath to live and definitely does NOT need his lungs and blood to be filled with lighting it would be a good idea to avoid getting bit too much.

Harley tackles a snake thing! After already being weakened by the spearing the tackle blows it apart, sending snakes slithering off in every direction. The OTHER snake monster doesn't seem too keen on this and it tries to bite Harley a whole bunch over it. And, in turn, Khannie doesn't like THAT very much and lobs a blot of inky darkness at the snake monster! It gets gooped right after its first round of snake-bite attempts on Harley, getting badly gummed up by the sticky shadow while it's vision is heavily impaired. It continues biting and hissing, but it can't really see (or TASTE or SMELL why is darkness SO SPICY!?) to attack accurately.

Asami melts another one of the anchor barbs along with its lightning egg!

This makes a thing happen.

That thing is another thunderclap like a blasting trumpet as a lightning bolt, the largest yet, strikes the earth. And from that lightning bolt forms a huge steel python. That is easily thirty feet of storm snake. It raises up on high, lightning arcing from its body into the surrounding pavement, as it utters a hiss like rolling thunder.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

Keeper wrote: Nov 19, 2023 6:04 pm Draco Street Bakery

"It means wherever I'm supposed to spend forever is still where I get to go, wherever that is. Unlike most warlocks whose patrons get a claim on them forever. Granny already basically owns me; I don't want to see what happens if she actually did."

He shakes his head. "Frank says I'm more or less the same actually. I've asked the same question. The main thing was you know. Being hungry all the time and having the constant urge to get good at baking. That did come with the tail." Rowan's thick crocodilian tail thumps on the floor for effect. There's also that he runs on cartoon logic a lot of the time but that's not really a personality thing. It's part of his weird magical body.

"Ratticus suspects that Granny left me with one of her less Problematic aspects so I exist as a minion on call for her without getting my head cut off from being more monstrous." Rowan was given her aspect as a Dragon: powerful, huge and hungry. Just with all the other details carefully sanded down to be cutesy and friendly to keep him safe from Heroes.
"If you're a dragon AND cartoony what makes you think you're not already looking at forever? Sounds like classic faerie cheatery to me," the fox suggests because clearly she needs to point out how this could be worse. "I mean, you look like Pete's Dragon. Like you seriously just walked straight outta an animated movie or something."

The original version, obviously.

Not the weird remake where they did the dragon with CGI instead of drawing directly onto the frames.

"Mostly the same and exactly the same are an important difference. I mean... Imma kumiho. I'm mostly the same too, but my friends have noticed differences. I try not to slip up but being foxy kinda comes with the role. And it sounds like being a big jolly baker dragon comes with yours."

A beat.

"Foxy like tricky. Not foxy like... flirty. Or whatever."

An important distinction.

"Anyway just... keep your old friends around, okay? Spend time with 'em. And if they say you're acting weird then take it seriously. Seriously. I dunno if what Glistor did is gunna get the hag's attention but play it safe."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Draco Street Bakery

"I do NOT look like Pete's Dragon. Pete's dragon skipped pec day." This is true. He is very pear-shaped while Rowan is wide all around.
"Frank still lives with me. He's very patient. He even stopped throwing robes at me demanding I cover myself. Or making fun of me when I get stuck in doorframes. He's a swell guy other than almost getting killed by something every single day."
The Fox may pick up on the implication that as far as old friends go, Frank is kind of it.

"And I can't really help being a big jolly baker dragon when I AM a big baker dragon. The jolliness comes and goes like any normal person."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

The Widening Gyre

Harley is delighted that he's able to break apart the snake monster. If only humans broke up into little tiny monkeys when you tackled them! Getting to his feet, he looks around- only to be caught off guard by the second snake as it darts forward to bite him. Good thing he can shield himself!

With his arm. He can shield himself with his arm, which is bitten a whole bunch before Khannie's shadow magic curtails the attack.

Well, a dozen little snake bites won't stop Harley. He doesn't really feel pain, and even though his arm is now pretty soaked in blood he can just deal with that later. Unless there's poison in those snake bites, in which case he might not be feeling so good when it kicks in.

Besides, now that there's an even bigger snake coming through the portal, it's not like Harley can just back down. This is the whole deal, an epic battle for the sake of the city. Plus, if he dies from poison, that kind of sweet self sacrifice should count for a lot.

So, poison or no, he's going to start running towards the giant snake. And he's going to scream while he does it. It just feels right somehow.
horses can attack and eat me
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Widening Gyre]

"Gah! Piking-" Michalson was too focused on the skeletons and the general unfolding disaster to pay attention to Hoshiki's approach. "I didn't pick this fight, it's my piking job."

He turns away from the swordsman to survey the battlefield.

"Oh, scrag me. We need to get rid of this huge thing and then try to close that hole."

[Destiny Temple]

Hiep raises her hands.

"Let's back up. Who invited you, exactly?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Destiny Temple]

The snake-woman's eyebrow raises. "The owner... y'know. her... Him?" She seems to be looking for recognition in Hiep's expression. "They?" Finally, she nervously reaches into folds of her robe and pulls out a folded note and takes the briefest glance at it before looking up at Hiep again. "Of. Yeah, that's their name." The woman nods confidently. "Did they invite you too?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Destiny Temple]

"Of? Just Of? Weird name." Hiep frowns. This is a surreal situation. Even by the standards of her job. "No one invited me here. I was told something weird is afoot, so I came. Did this person give you any reason for inviting you?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Destiny Temple]

"Uh... yeah." A pause as she takes another glance at the note again. "It's right here, The owner Of-"
Her eyes widening just ever so slightly as they go straight to the bottom of it.

"And also Salesthra. But... they're called Of. Sometimes."
She nods again, once again getting eye-contact with Hiep. "And it's cause I'm a champion of our people actually. Kinda. I think they're supposed to determine that or something?" She rubs her head awkwardly before offering suddenly offering her hand to Hiep. "But I'm Raheeda, who're you?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Destiny Temple]

Mercury help her. Is this Raheeda even literate?

"I'm Zhelshu. A traveling priestess. I deal with gods and spirits. Can I see this note?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Rebonack wrote: Nov 20, 2023 2:43 am [The Widening Gyre]

Raheeda points out to Harley that lightning monsters invading the city are hostile! No one is particularly shocked by this development.
Harley tackles a snake thing! After already being weakened by the spearing the tackle blows it apart, sending snakes slithering off in every direction. The OTHER snake monster doesn't seem too keen on this and it tries to bite Harley a whole bunch over it. And, in turn, Khannie doesn't like THAT very much and lobs a blot of inky darkness at the snake monster! It gets gooped right after its first round of snake-bite attempts on Harley, getting badly gummed up by the sticky shadow while it's vision is heavily impaired. It continues biting and hissing, but it can't really see (or TASTE or SMELL why is darkness SO SPICY!?) to attack accurately.
quillpleasant wrote: Nov 20, 2023 5:09 am The Widening Gyre

Harley is delighted that he's able to break apart the snake monster. If only humans broke up into little tiny monkeys when you tackled them! Getting to his feet, he looks around- only to be caught off guard by the second snake as it darts forward to bite him. Good thing he can shield himself!

With his arm. He can shield himself with his arm, which is bitten a whole bunch before Khannie's shadow magic curtails the attack.

Well, a dozen little snake bites won't stop Harley. He doesn't really feel pain, and even though his arm is now pretty soaked in blood he can just deal with that later. Unless there's poison in those snake bites, in which case he might not be feeling so good when it kicks in.

Besides, now that there's an even bigger snake coming through the portal, it's not like Harley can just back down. This is the whole deal, an epic battle for the sake of the city. Plus, if he dies from poison, that kind of sweet self sacrifice should count for a lot.

So, poison or no, he's going to start running towards the giant snake. And he's going to scream while he does it. It just feels right somehow.
[The Widening Gyre]

It was important to attempt to talk over differences first!

Even if the people you talked to happened to look scary.

But as Harley is getting swarmed by snakes the air around Harley moves once, twice, thrice.
Those serpents might find it hard to to deliver any venom then their jaws are cut off from the rest of the body. Along with their heads and most of their tails too.

Won't have to worry about bleeding out though as the edge of the glaive glows so hot that it cauterizes the wounds right as it cuts through them. Leaving only whatever innards and blood they have and the nearly superheated pockets of air it leaves in its arcing paths.

[Destiny Temple]

"Oh, that's cool. Nice to meet you Zhelshu! So you serve Ssekhris too then?" She gestures towards one of the statues of the scantily dressed woman. "Since I couldn't have guessed." Raheeda makes that sound like a compliment.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[The Widening Gyre]

"Are you claiming you didn't pick your job?", Hoshiki asks deadpan. "Maybe we should switch. Jobs, I mean. You could be a Grim Reaper fighting evil spirits and I could be a detective. How about that?"

As he talks, the swordsman observes the giant snake Michalson is pointing out. There is something familiar about it... but he doesn't get to dwell on it for long because he spots Harley charging towards the thing. "That fool has a death wish", the swordsman notes. He gets out of cover and begins to walk towards the beast, unbothered by chaos of the battlefield, ready to leap and drag Harley away from the snake's fangs. Yes, there is quite a bit of distance between them. Hoshiki is confident he can still get there in a single leap if he wants to.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Destiny Temple]

Hiep wouldn't mind "serving" this goddess in certain ways. But something is off about this situation.

"No, I don't. I'm more of a freelancer. I help people negotiate and bargain with gods and spirits. So, why are you here?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Destiny Temple]

"Uh, since I was invited obviously." Raheeda waves the letter she has in her hand. "Sounded pretty important." She spends a moment looking around. "And this place seems important to, so I figure this has to do with my, uh, evaluation. But 'freelancer', eh? I didn't even know you were allowed to do that as a priestess. Always figured you needed to be devoted to one of the thre- er, two. Or the eight at least." She let's out a nervous laugh and rubs the back of her head. "Sorry about that. I'm not good at the whole secret keeping. But as a 'freelancer' you understand right? Not always easy to remember to not mention you-know-who."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Destiny Temple]

"The gods I deal with don't care about devotion much. As long as they get their prayers, sacrifices and whatever else they fancy." Hiep shrugs. "Is Ssekhris one of your people's gods? Who called you here for evaluation?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Destiny Temple]

Raheeda tilts her head. "Wait." And then her eyebrows shoot up. "You're not- you're not yuan-ti? Oh gosh, I though you were since- and the hair-" She gestures up at Hiep's head.

Then Raheeda let's out a sigh. "Sorry, I'm not really supposed to say anything about our gods to strangers. They don't really go along with other people. Least of all Ssekhris. She's kind of a-" The letter "B" seems to form and die on her lips. "-firm on what people should look like. She'd probably would have liked you though. uh, if you had been one of my people that is. Sometimes it's just hard to tell."

A beat as Raheeda suddenly strokes her chin contemplatively and gives the floor a thoughtful stare.

"Oh, right. I'm not supposed to say that."
Last edited by Shadowcaller on Nov 22, 2023 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by [brackets lover] »

[Widening Gyre]

Asami clutches her ears and winces as the thunder pierces through once more. As Asami loses her focus, the lava she formed quickly solidifies. She breathes a sigh of relief as she releases her ears, comforted by the ear plugs. She stumbles up to her feet, breaking out of the rock that encased the bottom of her shoes.

Mustering up all her courage, she rushes to get below the 30 foot snake. "Stand back, everyone, I'm gonna make a fire tornado!" she bellows out in warning before spinning her staff in a circle at supernatural speeds, creating a vortex of wind raising up. This wind carried with it ferocious flames naturally accompanied by a thick smoke.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Destiny Temple]

"No, I'm just human. Plenty of people back home have green hair." All true. That she's also Exalted is technically irrelevant. Many mortals to have green hair where she comes from. "Look, I came here because someone here is supposedly messing with destiny. I need to investigate."