HALO CLXXXV: The Titles End Here

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: HALO CLXXXV: The Titles End Here

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Maid Café and Book Signing - A Slip Of The Tongue]

"Their church? So they're some kind of religious organization? Why would they have HALO's book?" Now she had so many questions but she couldn't ask them all at once. Since it sounded like Rein was going to investigate them so chances were he didn't know either.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

"You remember Venus right? She was at the book meeting." The dryad who occasionally spoke up. "She came here to get away from the cultists who are obsessed with her. She doesn't know why, but those who hang around her sanctum seem to start worshipping her. I've been trying to safely investigate why without going directly, but I think the time for that's out the window. Anyways, she agreed to take the story to them to spread, though I did recommend against it." Spreading the story was the purpose and to that end, you'd be hard pressed to find a better distribution network than a cultist distribution network.

"It mostly concerns me that she hasn't come straight back. I haven't seen her yet. So I need to go check on her. Maybe kidnap her away from the cultists for a second time. Hopefully I won't get shot again, but..." Rein doesn't have high hopes in that regard. Those mutating cultists definitely shot at him last time. "Near as I can tell so far, she seems to have some sort of uncontrolled aura that accelerates nature and life around her? It appears to have made her life difficult."

To that end, perhaps she is a deity of sorts and the cultists aren't entirely wrong. If so, then Venus better bless Rein with many children for going to the hassle of going to go get her.
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

She recalled Venus, having occasionally given her feedback on the story. Had she actually given the cultist a first draft of the story? Or had they taken it off her when they kidnapped her? Either way, it looked like they had wanted more than just the books. They had wanted the protagonists signature on it for whatever reason.

"Concerning. Is there any way I could help?" She was a concerned that they hadn't just come here to get a signature since they were fans of the books. There was no telling what a cultist might do with that. "Assuming they've kidnapped her of course."
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Maid Café and Book Signing - A Slip Of The Forked Tongue]
Magtok wrote: Nov 15, 2023 5:39 am "Clay, magic, and a scroll to breath life into the construct, or a less traditional golem, like those nasty meat men, or the iron golems I've seen some pretenders build before?" Magtok asks, apparently taking a very dim view of flesh golems, as well as anything that could be described as 'robots but totally not robots because I used magic.' Warforged, iron golems, any sort of constructs that look like they'd be robots if the setting was sci-fi instead of fantasy. Clay is totally fine though, apparently. So long as it doesn't look like something Magtok's own technology could be responsible, the magicians of the Nexus can do whatever the hell they won't and he'll only dislike them the usual amount.

"Either way, that dream can quickly become a nightmare. It's easy to take that kind of power for granted, to get reckless or irresponsible with it. As Frankenstein tells us, the ability to sculpt life into being doesn't necessarily give you control over it," Magtok shoots a brief glance towards the cat, recalling just one of a few terrible decisions where he cloned something that ought not be cloned, because he had the foolish idea in his head that he might gain some brief strategic advantage out of it. The fewer non-Magtok clones in circulation, the better.
"Sizewell is made of clay, yes. Though there was no scroll. I inscribed runes on him and used divine fire. It's... a sort of spark of creation? I had to imbue some of mine into him." She doesn't go into the exact details of how it happened. "And I see what you mean. Many alchemists back home pursue immortality with predictable results."
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

"Mmm... not going to make that assumption yet. I am, however, going to go investigate tomorrow morning and see if she's there or not. You're welcome to come with if you'd like," Reinholdt offers. Depends on how cultist adverse Ambrosia feels.
Last edited by Reinholdt on Nov 17, 2023 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

"What would investigating them involve exactly? Go there and ask questions or more of a stealthy approach?" The scholar inquires. Since she was used to both approaches but only really equipped for the first one.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

"Oh, uh, yeah. The open approach. We're just talking for now," Reinholdt clarifies. "You won't need to bring any cardboard boxes yet. Things may get hot if they don't like my questions though." Always a risk for any overly inquisitive felines.
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Cardboard boxes? Ambrosia raises her eyebrows.
"Perhaps I should ask the questions then, depending on what line of questions you intended to pursue. Since as an interviewer of dragons, the 'hot' that happens when things go wrong don't tend to be metaphorical."
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

Reinholdt shrugs a little. "Sure if you want. We have a very strong reason to already believe that Venus has visited the church. We just gotta found out what happened exactly when she did, if she's still there and if we're allowed to see her. Or commune with her. However they like to phrase it. And where she went if she isn't still there. I'll meet you at the shuttles tomorrow morning and lead you to it. It's right around the corner from the Black Dragon's Den... no relation to actual black dragons." Reinholdt isn't even sure why it's called that.
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

"I'm aware of it." Some dragons she had talked to considered the name offensive. Though thankfully those same dragons were civilized enough to not attempt to burn it down.

"But that sounds like a plan. Is there anything else about this cult you can tell me though? Just so I'm properly prepared. I figure that we can probably both ask questions." That way she would better understand Rein's approach to these things. He seemed like a rather casual sort of person which made sense as he sounded seasoned in these things.

"Oh and... whose the new custodian?" She gestures in the direction of Magtok.
Magtok
Pointy Eared Baby Devourer

Post by Magtok »

► SHOW SPOILER
"Oh man, immortality's a nightmare even if you arrange everything perfectly. Not as terrible as not being immortal, but still pretty awful. I remember what the Nexus was before it was the Nexus, which doesn't make any sense at all. When there were only the acronym organizations and a massive empty cosmic void between them. This whole world is technically younger than I am, and yet you also have elves or other creatures who are over hundreds of years old who claim to have been here their whole lives. None of their memories are fake, they can genuinely account for having grown up in Inside or Riverside or wherever else and prove it all actually happened, and yet my own perfect, machine-enhanced recollection says none of that could've possibly fit into the Nexus's brief lifespan of less than two decades, even though it obviously has. Somehow, we're both right," Magtok complains, the subjectivity of time being something of a sore spot. One must imagine he's been nursing that particular grudge against reality for quite a long time...or maybe not that long at all, depending on whose perception of time we're using. Time doesn't really mean anything at all, as Magtok very irritably established. Similarly, none of this dumb garbage he's been tasked with cleaning up matters either, since it'll all cease to be relevant in a scene or two, even if he walks away right now and leaves the mess for someone else to deal with.

"That's the bit about immortality they don't teach you. The stuff they do warn about, stressing that you'll outlive all of your kids and family and friends and loved ones? Also true, but they leave out the fact that your worst enemies, the really obnoxious ones that annoy you more than anyone else? They won't fade away. The worst will be immortal too, to rub their continued existence in your nose for all time. You just have to learn to live with each other and avoid reigniting the feud, lest they find some brand new and incredibly petty way of getting under your skin," Mag explains, which might go some way towards explaining why he doesn't simply try to set each and every blue cat on fire. Just looking at that wretched thing might raise his blood pressure, but it's still better than the alternative. Open warfare might satisfy his ego in the short term, but will only lead to horrible collateral damage and devastation in the aftermath, with no guarantee that he'll actually win in the end. The cat has too many friends and disguises and magical artifacts to even guess at what he might be capable of in a protracted game of clone assassinations.
"You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
-Daniel H. Wilson
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

"It's the church of Venus, they do campaigns to fight illiteracy in Inside's slums. There were two that chased and shot at us last time, mutating a third arm or something. Hopefully we don't run into those particular cultists. The ones that came today were much nicer. But you know pretty everything already." Rein can't think of anything extra to add about them.

Unlike the custodian. He can think of a thousand things to add about him. "That's Lord Magtok. I'm surprised you don't recognize the face. Maybe they stopped using the Ronnie McMagtok mascot at Magmart. I don't know. I have bigger concerns than what he's up to. Felandria invited him to join up, so here he is." Rein normally goes with whatever Fel says for better or worse, but this time he legitimately disagrees with her and it's probably clear as much in his voice.
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

"Why were they even chasing you in the first place?" Mutating extra limbs, sounded like people possessed by the most awful kind of spirits possible.
But that train of thought is stopped as Rein answers her second question, directing her attention to... Magtok.

"That's Magtok?" She can't help but to inquire, having a hard time believing her own eyes. "...I imagined him taller." She adds in an attempt to explain why she hadn't recognized him. "Larger even." Was this really the man she had recommended Utayo to visit? "Did he fall on hard times? You don't seem to have much love for the man." Judging by Rein's expression it looked like a topic she didn't want to explore but she couldn't help herself.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

"Because I was assisting Venus in escaping to HALO. She didn't want to be worshipped by anyone. The cultists took offense." Classic Rein, stealing a goddess or two in his spare time.

Reinholdt rolls his eyes a little. "Why? Do you love him? Enamored with his destructive manner and egotistical disposition, glossing over the legitimate harm done to people? Who cares if someone gets hurt with style right? That's cool." Reinholdt turns away back towards the work he was doing. "Sure. Hard times. The longer you live, the harder it is to stay fresh and relevant and active. Eternity wears a man down. I would guess. I don't know what else to say, I'm not up to date with his personal life. I don't read the Magloids." And a deep, burning, judgmental cat stare of shame on anyone who does.
► SHOW SPOILER
Morty

Post by Morty »

"That is... not something I have experienced myself." Dorota says this honestly, straightening her glasses. "I just came here, got a job, got married, changed my job to here and got divorced. I know Inside was already here when I arrived. And then... I feel as though Riverside had always been there. But maybe my perception was distorted by what you describe. I've strayed into metaphysics, but they concerned gods, not time or reality."
Magtok

Post by Magtok »

Magtok raises an eyebrow. He's never heard of anyone getting divorced before. Well, except for Cessie of Vigil, I guess. Okay, that's two, but when you compare that against the overwhelming number of committed relationships in the Nexus, all the marriages and civil unions and children people are always having with each other...Magtok isn't quite sure what it is, but relationships in the Nexus between famous people are so much more ride-or-die than traditional celebrity figures. Usually you have to wait for your partner to die or fade out of existence before starting anew as a widow or widower.

"Well I'm...sorry to hear that, I guess? I don't know the protocol for hearing about a stranger's divorce and not knowing it was amicable or not, but let's just assume I said whatever I should've," Mag answers, shooting a suspicious glance towards that person the cat is talking to. No idea what they're talking about, but they definitely looked his direction a moment ago, didn't they?

"What about Skyside? Do you remember when that was founded? There's quite a few people who do, I think, but it too has a similar sort of parallel history where people can be adults who grew up there," Mag mentions, in the vain hope that he can use this example to prove he isn't totally f***ing bonkers. Maybe he'd have a better luck with a slightly more modern area, though, like Seaside, even if that's a region and not technically a city.
"You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
-Daniel H. Wilson
Morty

Post by Morty »

Dorota's first instinct is to say that of course Skyside has always been there. It has a history and everything. But...

"I could say that of course Skyside is old. There's this whole history with its royal dynasty and a coup... but I also seem to remember a time when Skyside wasn't around and I didn't think about it. Maybe the reality around here really is more malleable than I thought..."
Magtok

Post by Magtok »

"Yes! Yes, precisely! Skyside is both old and not old at the same time, here longer than you've been alive and not!" Magtok answers excitedly, like a deranged genius who has finally, finally had his controversial and insane findings validated by incontrovertible evidence. Too many of the other old Nexusites would just shrug and ignore the anachronism, preferring to avoid the headache that such cognitive dissonance brings, but now, we finally have someone willing to humor our ridiculous gibberish. Sure, it's the same person who outed us to the cat and ruined our escape plan, but whatever, it's not like we're losing out on much because of that.

"Consensus reality is a myth, Dorota. I'm not sure if the Nexus itself is colored by the collective consciousness's perception of it, glossing over things like Skyside not existing when enough people pop into being who believe it did, or if our perception is overwritten by some unknowable cosmic force, which put that thought in our heads at the same time that it put all those people and history in Skyside, but either way, our conclusion remains the same: the Nexus is less real than we think it is." An absolutely horrifying notion, especially given that it is accompanied by an inability to trust one's own memories, but life isn't always sunshine and roses.

"So if you were hoping for my advice on your own academic endeavors, the best I can give you is to simply let go of your preconceptions and let reality work for you, give the Nexus the kind of story it wants. Wander into a library and accidentally stumble upon an old tome that just happens to pertain to your field of study. Check around and see if any ancient alchemist tombs full of booby traps and heretical knowledge are in the area, and find some reckless idiot to plumb its depths for you. Seek out some deranged hermit with a similar area of expertise and humor his mad ramblings until he accidentally says something wise and genuinely useful," Magtok advises, though that final suggestion seems a little...strange. Is he knowingly describing himself as a sort of dumb joke, with an implied nod and a wink, or is it just a coincidence, and he's actually completely unaware of how he presents himself?
-Daniel H. Wilson
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Reinholdt wrote: Nov 22, 2023 5:34 am [Maid Café and Book Signing - A Slip Of The Tongue]

"Because I was assisting Venus in escaping to HALO. She didn't want to be worshipped by anyone. The cultists took offense." Classic Rein, stealing a goddess or two in his spare time.

Reinholdt rolls his eyes a little. "Why? Do you love him? Enamored with his destructive manner and egotistical disposition, glossing over the legitimate harm done to people? Who cares if someone gets hurt with style right? That's cool." Reinholdt turns away back towards the work he was doing. "Sure. Hard times. The longer you live, the harder it is to stay fresh and relevant and active. Eternity wears a man down. I would guess. I don't know what else to say, I'm not up to date with his personal life. I don't read the Magloids." And a deep, burning, judgmental cat stare of shame on anyone who does.

Ambrosia's eyebrows raise at what to her seems like a tantrum. She'd know since she had them herself on occasion. Thankfully Rein couldn't accidentally set buildings on fire with his breath though or she imagined there would be one right now.
"I barely know him, Reinholdt. I was simply curious as the way you describe him doesn't exactly match with what I'm seeing." She vaguely gestures in the direction of the cyrborg and Dorota. "If I devoured him right now, would the world be a better place?" Whoa, where did that come from?
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

"Of course it would," Reinholdt replies without hesitation. "But enough people don't think so that you'd be in deep trouble for doing it. Felandria would kick you from HALO and I honestly think that's the least bad thing that'll happen. It's just not worth the consequences." Rein shakes his head.

"Was there anything else you needed?"
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

What a curious answer.

She considers his reply for just a moment and then nods. "No, that should be it. Thank you for sharing." Then she makes a short bow. "I'll be in my room if you need me." Or in her lair.

Then she walks off.
Morty

Post by Morty »

Magtok wrote: Nov 27, 2023 7:23 am "Yes! Yes, precisely! Skyside is both old and not old at the same time, here longer than you've been alive and not!" Magtok answers excitedly, like a deranged genius who has finally, finally had his controversial and insane findings validated by incontrovertible evidence. Too many of the other old Nexusites would just shrug and ignore the anachronism, preferring to avoid the headache that such cognitive dissonance brings, but now, we finally have someone willing to humor our ridiculous gibberish. Sure, it's the same person who outed us to the cat and ruined our escape plan, but whatever, it's not like we're losing out on much because of that.

"Consensus reality is a myth, Dorota. I'm not sure if the Nexus itself is colored by the collective consciousness's perception of it, glossing over things like Skyside not existing when enough people pop into being who believe it did, or if our perception is overwritten by some unknowable cosmic force, which put that thought in our heads at the same time that it put all those people and history in Skyside, but either way, our conclusion remains the same: the Nexus is less real than we think it is." An absolutely horrifying notion, especially given that it is accompanied by an inability to trust one's own memories, but life isn't always sunshine and roses.

"So if you were hoping for my advice on your own academic endeavors, the best I can give you is to simply let go of your preconceptions and let reality work for you, give the Nexus the kind of story it wants. Wander into a library and accidentally stumble upon an old tome that just happens to pertain to your field of study. Check around and see if any ancient alchemist tombs full of booby traps and heretical knowledge are in the area, and find some reckless idiot to plumb its depths for you. Seek out some deranged hermit with a similar area of expertise and humor his mad ramblings until he accidentally says something wise and genuinely useful," Magtok advises, though that final suggestion seems a little...strange. Is he knowingly describing himself as a sort of dumb joke, with an implied nod and a wink, or is it just a coincidence, and he's actually completely unaware of how he presents himself?
"Is our encounter what you just described?" Dorota asks, perhaps catching onto this final implication. "A random meeting that causes me to reevaluate the world I live in?"
Magtok

Post by Magtok »

The cyborg shrugs. "If you want it to be. It could also be a one-off jokey encounter, a bizarre non sequitor that goes nowhere because it veered too close to acknowledging the imprecise, capricious nature of the underpinnings of our shared reality. You could choose to repress everything I've said to you today and dismiss everything I've said as lunacy, if you even remember to acknowledge that this chat happened at all." It wouldn't be the first time something happened in the Nexus and was then rendered non-canon. There's a part of Magtok's consciousness that insists Skyside was divided up into factions at one point, after all, and that he was at the helm of one of them.

"You said that creating life is a dream for many alchemists. Is it your dream, Dorota? Is immortality your end? Will it give you the time you think you need to find the happiness that has thus far eluded you? Suppose I just handed you the design specifications for a cloning tank, or maybe just three-fifths of them, so you still have to work for your goal. Do you know what you'd do with a vat that can generate life from a blood stain, from the saliva under your tongue?" he asks, as if trying to challenge the notion that she might just forget and move on from this encounter, daring the world to write this chat as irrelevant filler.
-Daniel H. Wilson
Morty

Post by Morty »

"My goal isn't immortality, it's understanding." Dorota's answer comes quickly; she's clearly certain of it. "That's why what you said about reality interested me. I'm fine with dying like any human would but before I do that I want to understand my place in the universe."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[A Meeting of Minds]

Ambrosia is showing her new friend around in HALO and one of their first stops happens to be Dorota's laboratory. For once the people visiting her won't be annoying... right?
The scholar would have told Utayo that Dorota is one of the two people in HALO that knew about her secret. So while it was alright to discuss it with her she shouldn't do so with any other members present. Especially if Dorotas assistant, Artie, was there.

"Are you at all familiar with alchemy? Since the subject does fascinate me even if I know very little about it." Ambrosia tells the moonfolk as she walks in. Dorota wasn't immediately visible but she was sure to walk out to greet them at any moment.
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

[A Meeting of Minds]

"I'm afraid I'm not particularly familiar." Utayo admits as she hovers just off the ground alongside Ambrosia. She can't help but think of how the term relates to a more primitive science, but she knows better than to make assumptions about words when planeswalking. "I'm sure it'll be a learning opportunity." She expects to ask a few questions, though she doesn't want to interrupt Ambrosia's planned business with this Dorota too much.
~Images by Soushiyo
Morty

Post by Morty »

[A Meeting of Minds]

As long as the conversation ahead doesn't involve someone offering their dead body to Dorota, it will be a marked improvement over some recent encounters.

It's indeed not very long before Dorota steps into the lab, pushing a tray laden with glass containers and books.

"Oh, Ambrosia, you're here. And with your guest."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[A Meeting of Minds]

"It's similar to chemistry I believe, meaning that involves the mixing of chemicals. Though I'm not not sure what the difference between the two fields is exactly." Ambrosia replies as she considers the question for a moment.

However, then the person they were actually here to meet appears. "Ah, yes. This is Utayo Iwatsuki. She's a friend of mine and a recent visitor to this plane." She then turns back to the planeswalker. "And this is Dorota, the alchemist."
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

[A Meeting of Minds]

"It's good to meet you." Utayo gives a short bow. "Ambrosia has told me that you're a fellow woman of the sciences, and I thought I shouldn't miss the opportunity to meet you. Though don't let me distract too much from Ambrosia's own business here. I'm merely tagging along today."
~Images by Soushiyo
Morty

Post by Morty »

[A Meeting of Minds]

Dorota nods back, though she doesn't bow. It wasn't really done among the burgher class where she grew up.

"Woman of the sciences... you could say that, though I don't think others in my guild would use the word. It's a pleasure. You wanted to see me, Ambrosia?"