MERC

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Ironsmith
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: MERC

Post by Ironsmith »

[Outside Dena's Office]

"That is impressive. I have never seen anybody attempt such a thing. I did not think success was possible." The elf experimentally prods at the arms in question, completely ignoring their owner. "...Perhaps a little crude, compared to coireabimingolea, but good." For a brief moment, the translator fails entirely, and Fayyaad will hear him speaking naturally; a deceptively rigid sound, but clearly intended to be melodic, like a small child reciting a nursery rhyme for the first time. "How was this accomplished?"
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Morty wrote: Aug 26, 2022 5:33 pm [Main Hall]

Would it be a good time to mention that one of MERC's leaders used to be an AMEN member? Probably not.

"We can take the monster contracts straight away. But I'll need to consult the leadership about the ex-AMEN bounties."

[Dena's Office]

After stepping out of Dena's office, Fayyaad makes a quick call to someone. Then he turns back to Septimus.

"It seems Cassandra can't take a look at you right now. We can wait or find someone else."

[The Lab]

"That was abrupt," Olvisin comments, still picking some straw out of her hair. "Might be good for sowing chaos, not a lot else."
[Main Hall]

The man doesn't know that as well as the player 8I might need some help from other player to clear that)

He will hand over the papers for the monsters, which i would tell if someone asks as the mayor parts are already clear. Most documents includ raw reports of sightings and such,

"Of cours I was expecting that"
Gold
Old Fart Poster
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Gold »

[Briefing Room]

"That sounds like it'll work. What's the village called?" Solenoid asks.
TASBot TALBot Solenoid Changer
"You monster!" -Gold Elemental - The Order of the Stick
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Outside Dena's Office]

"What- has it been too long since someone punched you? Back off!" Olvisin's response to having her arm poked is characteristically spirited. Fayyaad groans.

"You'll have to forgive him, he's a bit- he's not familiar with our ways," he says. Olvisin's ears stop pointing straight up and her lips hide her teeth once again.

"Well, he's lucky Dr. Tanaka isn't here to hear him call her cybernetics 'crude'."

[Main Hall]

The goblin goes to call the leaders. The man will have to wait a while.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Outside Dena's Office]

"I would not recommend punching me with these. It would not be a pleasant experience for either of us." Septimus cautions. The elf's proddings have reduced in frequency, but haven't truly stopped altogether. "...Cy...cy-ber-net-ics are crude any way." He continues, nevertheless fascinated by Olvisin's arms. "A machine is not as complicated as a body. That is what Father told me, at least. You need a very complicated machine to mix it with a body, so if you can you may as well use a body anyway."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Outside Dena's Office]

Olvisin looks up at Fayyaad with a quizzical expression. The tiefling shrugs helplessly.

"As far as we can tell, he's some kind of unfinished construct. An artificial elf. I asked Cassandra to take a look, but they're preoccupied. We'll wait for them or find someone else."

"Oh-kay. Well, it's really not my area of expertise. I deal with engines and medicine, not artificial... would you mind not poking my arm?"
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[The Briefing Room]

Fettina sighs at the mention of the relocation site. "Riverside is just such a pleasant town," she remarks. "I guess if the demons move in they'll be able to name it whatever they want, right?"

[Cantie Banties]

The curtain can be readily and ecstatically pulled. Fettina simply can't say no to the empath now that she's got her body back! Cantie has her under a spell.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Outside Dena's Office]

That gets a frown out of Septimus. "...I am incomplete." He reiterates to Fayyaad, before resuming his "study" of Olvisin's arms. Of course, said study is about as intensive as if a chimpanzee was looking her over, and about twice as curious. Despite his insistence that Olvisin's arms are "crude", there's no particular "ah-ha" moment on the elf's part where he seems to finally understand fully what he's looking at.

Quite the opposite, in fact. His expression gets more and more befuddled as he keeps poking and prodding at the prosthesis.

But what he doesn't do is stop. Evidently, he doesn't see much point in that.

"...Did you say you understand medicine?" Septimus finally asks. "Maybe you can help me. I am missing pieces. A doctor may be able to make them."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Outside Dena's Office]

Olvisin blinks, in that cat-like manner goblins display. This weirdo... isn't wrong.

"That's actually not a bad idea," she admits. "Maybe this is my field of expertise as much as it is Cassandra's. Or more. I'm not a fully-trained doctor, but I can take a look."

"It is better than waiting," Fayyaad agrees.

[Main Hall]

"I have consulted with our leaders," the goblin says. "We will take the contract. Individual payment for every former AMEN member we deliver into your hands, to bring to justice as you see fit."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Outside Dena's Office]

Septimus gives a proud little shrug. "Not a bad idea", she says. He's not overly familiar with her, but he gets the feeling this is at least moderately high praise; enough to be noted, not enough to let him get a big head. "Thank you." He says, with a polite little nod. "...Will you lead the way?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
WarKitty
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by WarKitty »

The Lab

Could potentially serve as a unique area of effect weapon. But I'm more interested in the nonreplicability of the results. Do you have any information as to the ethereochemical composition of these potions? Or whether the sources are based primarily in biomagical elements versus alterorganic ones?
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[Main Hall]

"sounds resonable." The man replies and leaves a card with contact informations.
"If that is all, i take my leave now. I belive this matter is in good hands now."
ForTheGnomes

Post by ForTheGnomes »

Jerick looked up as he was thinking. Then, he pulled out his notebook and flipped through the pages, landing on a particular page and reading it. Jerick nodded as if confirming his own thoughts. "The potion is primarily made of semi-magical herbs from the Mournland and Aundair that I brought to the garden in Starilaskur. Let's see," he looked back down to his notebook as he spoke, "Ah yes, 4 grams of crushed frosthail, 8 grams of finely powdered pandemonium brush, and finally 200 milliliters of planarberry extract, something I created myself by combining 5 grams of planarberry and 300 milliliters of any neutral oil at a roiling boil. Then, I combined all of the ingredients with a 400 milliliters of water, and boiled it for 10 minutes. More than that and it will explode. Less than that, and it won't be potent enough for it to do anything."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Outside Dena's Office ==> Medical Wing]

Olvisin leads the way to the medical facilities of the base, Fayyaad following. Once there, she scratches her head.

"We need to look inside you somehow. An x-ray seems like a way to do it. But first I should check your blood pressure, breathing and temperature. To see if you even have those."

[Main Hall]

"Thank you, we will be in touch when there are news."

[The Lab]

"Have you tried altering the ingredients to achieve a less chaotic result?" Olvisin asks. Alchemy isn't really her field and goblin alchemists guard their secrets jealously.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Medical Wing]

These simple tests prove to be quite a bit more difficult than at first anticipated. Not because Septimus is uncooperative: far from it, he responds like a chronic patient, seeming to already know what Olvisin is going to ask of him at any given time. Rather, it seems that the protective barrier around him doesn't discriminate between potentially lethal weaponry and medical instruments. Putting a metallic item too close to him sees it electrified (up to and including Olvisin's hands), and attempting to touch his bare skin with anything else results in a prompt conversion to vapor. His robe seems to act as an insulating material, allowing Olvisin to put a stethoscope up to his chest without losing it, but trying to go around it will result in disaster.
► Test Results

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Medical Wing]

"You've got blood and you breathe, even if both aren't what I'd call normal." Olvisin is examining the ruins of a stethoscope that was destroyed before she realized what to do. "But the... electrical barrier you're equipped with makes testing difficult. I don't know if it's safe to put you in an x-ray. It might explode."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Medical Wing]

"...Explode?" Septimus cocks his head curiously at that part. His being near a machine could make it explode? How would that even work? "Are you sure? I do not think-"

No. Olvisin's the expert here. It doesn't matter what he thinks.

"...Does that mean you can not help me?" The elf asks, dejected.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Medical Wing]

"It seems that the reaction occurs on contact with his skin. Proximity isn't enough. So this kind of test is likely safe," Fayyaad ventures.

"Hmm. Maybe. Alright, step into that small room. Let's see what we can find inside you." Fortunately, Olvisin isn't a very risk-averse person.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Medical Wing]

"...Okay. If you say so." Septimus agrees, warily stepping into the room he was just told has a reasonable chance of exploding.

Fortunately, nothing quite that extreme happens.

However, the x-ray does run into another problem. When the first results come back, she'll just get an opaque blob of black, with a trio of equally-opaque white blobs along its edges. If Olvisin cares to look, she'll see that the white dots line up perfectly with Septimus's hands and head; the parts of him that aren't covered by his robe. It seems that however it blocks that barrier around him, it also foils the machine.

Not that removing the robe helps. That just converts it from a black blob with a spattering of dots to a white, human-shaped blob. In all cases, his insides remain inscrutable.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Medical Wing]

"...well, that's concerning." Olvisin's ears flick up and down. She did not expect to be seeing the when she woke up this morning. "He's radioactive." In response to Fayyaad's quizzical expression, she explains: "That means he emits rays which are harmful to us organic beings. And make it impossible for me to examine his insides. That said, the robe he wears seems to stop it. So he should keep it on."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Medical Wing]

"...Hello? Can I come out now?" The elf calls from the examination room. It's safer for him to stay in there; of all the rooms in the complex, it's one of the ones most likely to have proper shielding against ionizing radiation, given what it's used for.

...Of course, he doesn't seem to fully appreciate that.

"Is everything all right?" Septimus asks as he steps out. "You sound troubled."

Oh, and he forgot his robe. Lovely.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Medical Wing]

Oh no. Ohhh no.

"Can you... put your robe back on, please?" Olvisin sounds strained. "It turns out you emit harmful radiation. Your robe blocks it, but even so... it'll be problematic."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Medical Wing]

"Harmful radiation?" Septimus frowns but obeys and puts his robe back on.
Well. If his chances of actually being hired were low before, they're non-existent now. Although it does explain a few things...
"Father always told me beings that are not Elves are weak and sick. Are you saying I make you sick?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
WarKitty

Post by WarKitty »

[The Lab]

Xun frowns, sketching a few things in her notebook. Do you happen to have samples of these plants on hand? I suspect the unpredictability is coming from the pandemonium brush. I'm not actually familiar with the plant, mind, but it's a very...evocative name.
ForTheGnomes

Post by ForTheGnomes »

Jerick sighs and frowns. He says, "Sadly, I do not have any supply of the ingredients for any of my potions, and I'm pretty sure they only grow in Eberron where the planes bleed into the world in particular locations. So, as I am basically stranded here until I can find some way to return to Eberron at a whim whenever I need to, I only have the potions I have on my person, including my Severe-Pain-Removal-Salve."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[The Briefing Room]

"That seems to be it, then." Dipsnig nods. "Good luck out there."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[The Lab]

Olvisin folds her arms in thought.

"The good news is, the Nexus has a little bit of everything. So maybe you can find something similar here. Planes bleeding together is this place's whole thing."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Briefing Room

Frigate doesn't have anything to add, except the name of the town if he remembers it. I'm not sure he was ever in a position to ask one of the natives what it was called.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Contract Board]

The uncertain bodied, sometimes decently clothed Reina has trained enough with Zhareen that she's been given the green light to once again take up MERC missions. All but the absolute worst of her visions no longer hamper her ability to function normally and she can tell the difference between potential reality and reality. Fun.

Well not fun. It's been absolutely miserable. And she can only imagine that the King in Rags isn't too happy about her having his prophetic powers, but no moves have been made against her yet. Waiting for the other shoe to drop is anxiety inducing enough though. She's all too familiar with unpredictable powerhouse daddies with sadistic streaks.

All the more reason to get back to work! Sitting around wasting away is hardly her style. She's Reina dammit! Treasure Hunter Extraordinaire, seer, and mom of four.

Which is why she's now copying down that information on AMEN bounty hunting. Huh. Reina honestly thought everything about AMEN was dead. Even the Reins haven't bothered sending a clone to them. But the real reason it caught her eye is that there are about nine names on here and a third of those she's already intimately familiar with. Though Kirk is conspicuously absent from the list, Reina doesn't know any better so won't bother him. As for the rest, well, who better than a budding seer to track down complete strangers?

Reina ignores the monster contract though. She understands monsters in human form and those are the ones she can deal with effectively. Actual monsters may be better dealt by someone bigger and meaner.

Time to gear up and start picking these names off one by one.
► SHOW SPOILER
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Medical Wing]

Oh, great. So his father is specieist, too.

"With prolonged exposure, you can make us sick, yes. Do you know where your father is now?"