Inside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Inside

Post by Morty »

[Widening Gyre]

"This giant sod is way beyond my scope of capabilities," Michalson notes glumly. "But if we get somewhere high and aim for its eyes, we should at least distract it from yer scaly friend."

[Intersection Precinct]

"Implyin' there' still hope for me? I'm flattered, but you have too much faith in me." Michalson gets up with a groan. "I'll boil some water in the kitchen. Don't go riflin' through this mess while I'm gone, it might explode." Hard to tell if he's joking.

[Destiny Temple]

"Is that one of your gods? She doesn't look much like a snake." Indeed, she looks like one of Hiep's favorite kinds of gods. The other favorite kind being hunky men. "What did they tell you during your first evaluation?"

Tags:
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Destiny Temple]

"It's her human-ish aspect, so duh." Raheeda clarifies. "She has four, envoy, pure-blood, great one and- uh, the fourth one. I'd almost pass off as pure-blood if not cause of my human bits." She gestures vaguely down at her chest. "The wobblers n' stuff, y'know?"

She suddenly pauses as if an idea just occurred to her, her eyes returning to that strange fountain and she gestures to it again. "By the way, humans can't actually do that, right? With their wobblers I mean. Unless you're pregnant of course."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Destiny Temple]

"We can't," Hiep answers with perfect solemnity. "Even pregnant humans don't have quite this kind of range. I've never been pregnant, thankfully. But why is your people's temple located in a spa?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Destiny Temple]

"Ha! I knew it." Raheeda grins widely. "Ssethris followers think they know everything about humans but apparently they don't even know how your wobblers work." She chuckles to herself. "But they have a saying... how did it go again? 'Hidden in plain sight'? Something like that. What it means is that their temples are never actually temples, they're always disguised as something else. Usually something beauty related since Ssethris is the goddess of beauty."

A beat.

"I mentioned that, right? Anyhow, I think some people don't even realize they're in her faith since it's disguised as something else. Don't ask me how that works though. I'm not a cleric or anything and Ssethris think I'm too human anyway." The yuan-ti shrugs. "Why do you ask anyway? Thinking of joining? She is the only one of our gods that allow human worshipers."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Destiny Temple]

"No. Like I said, I'm here to investigate on behalf of other local gods. Back where I'm from, gods don't demand exclusivity. As long as they get their prayers and offerings, they don't care if people give them to others too." She looks around. "Sure hope everything goes smoothly. I'd hate for this place to see something unpleasant."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

Hraithre wrote: Dec 07, 2023 4:27 pm [Intersection Precint]

When this new Lia expresses the desire to go after Hoshiki, it elicits a short, grim laughter out of Bunny. "Ha ha. You, go after the swordsman? That's a death wish. I understand now why he took a blow for the detective but not for the other you. You have no hope. No hope at all."
Morty wrote: Dec 08, 2023 8:22 pm [Intersection Precinct]

"Implyin' there' still hope for me? I'm flattered, but you have too much faith in me." Michalson gets up with a groan. "I'll boil some water in the kitchen. Don't go riflin' through this mess while I'm gone, it might explode." Hard to tell if he's joking.
Lia is already shaking her head by the time Bunny is finished. "No, I said that's what the others want me to do. I'm well aware it's impossible. Don't worry, unlike the old me, I actually want to keep living." Despite being created to be the strongest of her kind, this particular Lia is much more cautious that the others. Perhaps there's a correlation there.

She smiles thinly at the detective. "Wouldn't even know where to begin." Although when he's gone, she dusts a few more spores into the walls. Never know when that might come in handy.
horses can attack and eat me
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Morty wrote: Dec 08, 2023 10:08 pm [Destiny Temple]

"No. Like I said, I'm here to investigate on behalf of other local gods. Back where I'm from, gods don't demand exclusivity. As long as they get their prayers and offerings, they don't care if people give them to others too." She looks around. "Sure hope everything goes smoothly. I'd hate for this place to see something unpleasant."
[Destiny Temple]

Raheeda follows Hiep's gaze as she looks around and shrugs at her conclusion. "Eh, it's just a facade. Like the, whattheycallit, pa-int you got on buildings or the kind people have on their face." She gestures vaguely at her face-scales. "She's just showing you want you want to see and if you're satisfied with that you could have just watched the building from outside."

The yuan-ti scratches her neck thoughtfully. "Think there was something like that about Ssethris. The power of appearance, beauty..." Raheeda makes a circular motion with her hand. "You get it, right? It's like a distraction. Like, uh, wobblers to humans." She looks at Hiep hesitantly as if looking for confirmation on that.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Destiny Temple]

"Not all of us are attracted to wobblers." Hiep answers this question with great solemnity. "But for those of us that are, they are indeed a distraction. Anyway, does she hope I'll be satisfied with a bath and a massage? I'll need a way to see something deeper. I'm still a bit surprised they're going to all this trouble. Maybe they really don't want local gods snooping."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Intersection Precinct]

After some time, Michalson comes back to the office with a kettle full of hot water. He's moving quicker than usual today. His leg must not be giving him much trouble. His spirit, on the other hand... it's battered on a good day and today isn't very good.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Widening Gyre

Harley is nervous about any plan that involves one of them closing to melee range with the snake- but if anyone knows how to deal with a giant serpent, it's Raheeda. He watches her sprint off, offering a silent prayer to the moon that she doesn't get hurt.

He beckons to Michalson, breaking into a jog as he heads towards a building close by the snake. "Alright, we can get up on that balcony there, and then we do everything we can to draw its attention. I hope you're a good shot."

Of course, Harley only has a single large knife, which limits his ranged capabilities significantly. Maybe he'd be more useful on the ground, backing up Raheeda- but that might also draw the serpent's attention to her, putting her at even more risk. His stomach lurches as he tries to figure out a way to help, and his masks glimmers strangely.

Intersection Precinct

Lia is ready for Michalson's return. She holds out a handful of small brown mushrooms with wavy caps, freshly grown.

"Here. Put these in the water and let it steep for three minutes. The tea will calm the nerves and give a feeling of peace, should help her get some rest." She raises an eyebrow at the detective. "You look like you could use a cup yourself. How are you holding up, Michalson?"

Although she's been more focused on taking care of Bunny and the other versions of herself, the detective's melancholy hasn't escaped her attention. This whole situation has clearly been incredibly taxing on him.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Intersection Precinct]

"About as well as I look," Michalson states bluntly as she puts the mushrooms into the water. This doesn't seem safe, but Bunny is a mushroom herself right now so might as well. "I did say it's not the first time someone took a chiv for me. Sandels might've been a real prod, but it still brought back some unpleasant memories. I should be in the dead-book by now, but other bodies keep ending up there instead. And I don't think I actually accomplished anythin' beyond getting him boxed and losin' Bunny's body."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Intersection Precinct

The tea will swiftly turn a rich mahogany color as the mushrooms steep, releasing a faint earthy scent. It might be suspicious, but if Lia had ill will towards Bunny she could have tried to crack her orb long before coming here.

The mycoid shakes her head at Michalson's statement. "I can't exactly blame you for feeling that way. I also should have died long ago. But you're wrong about not accomplishing anything. Bunny chose to go there, and you saved her." She gives him a crooked smile. "And you showed us all your true merit in the bleakest of situations. Despite my hopes for Sandels at the time, you're more of a knight that he ever was, and there's no one I'd rather have on my side in dark times."

After a moment she turns away, smoothing out her dress self-consciously. "But I daresay that's small comfort. I imagine that all of us will be bearing these scars for quite a while. And you and Bunny don't have the privilege of sharing your grief like I do" Having many minds makes it easier to carry such a heavy load.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Morty wrote: Dec 09, 2023 12:39 pm [Destiny Temple]

"Not all of us are attracted to wobblers." Hiep answers this question with great solemnity. "But for those of us that are, they are indeed a distraction. Anyway, does she hope I'll be satisfied with a bath and a massage? I'll need a way to see something deeper. I'm still a bit surprised they're going to all this trouble. Maybe they really don't want local gods snooping."
[Destiny Temple]

"Oh, so you're not attracted to wobblers?" Raheeda grins widely and claps her hands or at least does she closest thing she can do to one as her spear is still in her hand. "That's great, since I always feels so awkward when I got them out and humans are around. I imagine them just staring at them y'know? Super-creepy. It doesn't help that I got human-made robes cause they got like a cut-" The yuan-ti waves her index fingers in front of her chest, seemingly indicating a v-neck. "-like this? I didn't know what it was about at first but its for wobbler display, right? Was gonna ask Arinema about it but I always forget..." Whoever that is.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

Shadowcaller wrote: Nov 30, 2023 11:35 am [Church of Venus]

As Rein hadn't told her anything too specific about approaching the cult (other than "not eating them") Ambrosia arrives her in what to her was considered "casual" wear. Meaning that she was of course fully decked out in her armor. Considering the time it had to take to put it on and off she must have a good reason for wearing it. Constant paranoia maybe? Not that there was any evidence of it being able to protect her from a gun or similar common weapons, especially to the face.

At least it looked fancy enough for people to accept her as a serious, if unusually dressed, academic. Since she did also carry her big tome with her and if that didn't scream scholar (or wizard to some) then what did? One might argue a notebook or even an electronic variant of one would be much easier to use but she stuck to the tome. Perhaps it doubled as a weight for whatever work-out routine she had that allowed her to carry it and all that armor with such ease.
Reinholdt wrote: Nov 30, 2023 6:42 am [Church of Venus]

The day after the maid cafe, Reinholdt takes up the invitations of the cultists he met to come on by and check out their religious congregation. Rein's semi-nicely dressed. Though hardly in his sunday best, at least it isn't his usual street clothes. Accompanying him is Ambrosia, a totally normal scholar on dragons.
[Church of Venus]

The church itself is located at the perfect spot, just between Inside's Docks area and its Slums. Plus, it's easy to arrive to here from the Black Dragon's Den.

Also, uniquely, both on church grounds and for the several surrounding houses, it feels like perpetual springtime; today, the forecast has a light rainshower for an hour as soon as it hits afternoon. All throughout the yard, there are all sorts of fruit trees growing. And a gazebo, complete with a wisteria plant climbing up it. The church building itself looks like ruins completely overtaken by nature, with a large tree replacing one of the structural walls, and vines starting to fill out another missing wall. Even inside the building has plants growing, with the pews and chairs literally made from still-living and still-growing trees. There's a pond from a natural spring outside, and even a basin for holy water is fed by water bubbling up one of the walls then slowly dripping down a tree branch into the basin.

The air even feels pleasant. It smells nice, it feels nice, it's clean, and anyone who walks into the grounds will feel like their burdens are lighter...both literally and figuratively: gravity is literally (just a tiny bit) weaker here.

Rein was invited by those two cultists to visit during a regular meeting, so that's what is happening here.

A large group of worshippers are inside the building – if you can call a ruined, roofless church that's more nature than building a 'building' – and there's a sermon going on. It sort of feels like those testemonials you sometimes hear on a late-night radio ad, mixed with someone just preaching whatever comes to mind, while also throwing in random anecdotes about the preacher's recent trip to Riverside.
There's another group of people outside, too, under the gazebo. Most of the people there are children too restless to sit in the church, mothers with babies, and other women (including the dyed-blonde woman who went to the maid café!) gossiping about random things.
There's also a couple more people wandering the grounds, mostly just picking some of the fruit off the trees to eat. Notably, the fruit has just a hint of being fairy food, so there's that.

The most interesting stuff is going on inside, though. The people closer to the front are listening more intently, while the people closer to the back are more likely to be whispering to each other instead of listening to the sermon. Nearer the front are also people who have actually started to have their bodies slightly change to be more fae-like, some even getting pointy ears like elves (they swear they weren't elves before!). And, on the stand, there's a couple very reminiscent to Reinholt of the cloaked mutated ones who shot at him and Venus, though they don't appear to be armed. Of note, these ones were actually mutated during that one memory spirit invasion thing that happened a while back. Since they were partially turning to fae already, exposure to those spirits ended up physically changing them instead of just altering their memories.

Unfortunately, there don't appear to be any dragons here, so Ambrosia will probably be disappointed for coming fully decked out as a scholar. No dragons to research here.

But when they enter, she definitely catch people's eyes. Especially people seated in the back – by the entrance door – enough that they become the subject of whispering.

Also.
As they enter, a tiny monkey – the size of a squirrel – starts watching them from up in the support-tree of the building.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Draco Street Bakery

It's a good day for baked goods. Of course, that's a statement that's true of basically any day ever, but it's true nonetheless. On this particular good day, Darko has decided to head to the friendly neighborhood dragon bakery, since he's always meant to check it out. Plus, it's been a while since he's seen his buddy Rowan.

Dressed in an old gray peacoat to stave off the cold, Darko pushes the shop door open, stamping snow off his shoes before entering. He glances behind him, making sure that his friend Asami is still accompanying him. She had seemed excited, but whether because of the baked goods or the dragon making them he's unsure.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Draco Street Bakery

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the inside of the bakery is quite warm. Made entirely of brick and stone, the bakery looks quite as you'd expect besides the fact that the ceilings are twelve feet high and almost none of the furniture and shelves seem to be made of wood, plastic, or any other material that would have been cheaper or lighter to get in. Cornelius, the owner, would assure you that dragons have THEMING darn it!

Working behind the counter is a little kobold in an apron and likely the largest dragon Asami has seen since Kol. Nine feet tall and bipedal, Rowan Elkthorn screams 'jolly dragon baker' with every fiber of his being. With blueberry-colored scales, slightly curled horns, a huge rotund body and almost crocodilian features, his look is completed by the pastel pink-and-orange apron wrapped around him. A piebald rat in a wizard's hat glares at well, everything from one of the pockets. Everything about him makes him look friendly and harmless...except for the fact that he's still a dragon and still has quite sharp claws and teeth.

"Darko! Bako, take over for a minute."
Rowan waddles around the counter and goes over to give Darko a big hug! Luckily Darko should be aware how huggy Rowan is, especially when it comes to kids.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by [brackets lover] »

[Draco Street Bakery]

Sure enough, Asami is right behind Darko wearing her thick, black winter coat along with her red scarf and the gloves she got from Darko for Thanksmas. Even still, she shivers intensely when a cold wind passes by her. Right now, the cold is what's exciting her and driving her to rush into the bakery to warm off. She barely even bothers to stamp the snow off her shoes, which are a little worse for wear themselves at this point.

As soon as the dragon comes rushing forth towards Darko, Asami backs up instinctively. Upon getting a good look at Rowan and observing his clinginess, Asami glare-glares at him with disdain. "Woah... Is that the blueberry kid from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory?" snarks Asami.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Intersection Precinct]

Michalson looks off to the side, vaguely uncomfortable. He's not accustomed to people praising him for bravery. To him, he's just a berk too stubborn to quit or let go.

"...thank you. It's flatterin', if maybe not entirely accurate. I just hope I can give Hoshiki the dark he wants so he pikes off and leaves Bunny alone."

[Destiny Temple]

How does Hiep divert this conversation from wobblers to something she needs? Maybe bribery will suffice.

"I don't know who Arinema is, but maybe I could help you out with human clothes once I'm done here. Especially if I manage to find out what I'm after quickly."
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Intersection Precinct]

Bunny takes the tea, but does not drink it. Not because she suspects anything's off - she's simply not thirsty, and her exhaustion has nothing to do with her nerves or other physical aspects of her body. She shakes her head as she listens to the conversation. "Why do you still believe that could solve anything?", she asks, looking at Michalson, "telling the swordsman what I know, I mean. I explained it to you, didn't I? He became an evil spirit. To finish the work - for his side to win - he had to cease being so. If he's truly forgotten... then it's because forgetting was necessary to that end." She glances at Lia.

"You weren't there when I said it the first time - I was quite mad with the other you - but if it helps, think it like this: the big guy might not be happy not knowing, but he absolute won't be happy knowing. Like, ask yourself: has this desire to know brought the best out of him? Or has it brought out the worst? Hell, think of all the pointless pain you feel because of memories of someone who wasn't really you!"
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Draco Street Bakery

Incidentally, the glove's enchantment does seem quite effective. Asami's hands, at least, will stay toasty in the most arctic of conditions.

Darko is swept into a big dragon hug! Which he returns before extricating himself from after a moment. Physical contact is still not something he's very used to. He looks curiously around the enormous room.

"Hey Rowan! This place is great, I didn't expect it to be so big." He probably would have, had he actually given it any thought. "Oh yeah, this is my friend Asami! She goes to PREP with me." Does Rowan even know he's started at PREP? It's been a while.

He also casts a reproachful look at Asami. Darko is hoping she'll keep her insults to a minimum, but he knows better than to try to approach her more directly about it.

Intersection Precinct

Bunny's words draw a dry chuckle from Lia. "If it's any consolation, I'm also quite mad at the old me. But you misunderstand me- unlike the detective, I couldn't care less what Hoshiki knows. You don't need to convince me of anything, I'm already on your side." She shrugs apologetically at Michalson.

"As long as the two of you are safe, then that's all I really care about, and if that means just hiding from Hoshiki until he gives up, that's not a problem." The other Lias might not feel the same way, but they're not here right now.

She gestures at the tea with a claw. "Try a little bit. It'll help you feel better, at least in the moment." And long term, the only panacea is time.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Intersection Precinct]

"Aye, I understand that." Michalson breathes out. "But we'll need somethin'. He's not the kind of berk who quits easily. And us forcin' him to do anythin' is highly unlikely. I could maybe get approval for forbiddin' him from gettin' close to ya... but only as long as you're in my custody."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Draco Street Bakery

Ratticus bristles but Rowan cuts him off for once.
"No, she was spherical and I'm shaped like a potato." he responds to Asami without even looking at her.
He turns back to Darko and his expression softens.
"So you're going to school now? Good for you. Hope that's going well for you."
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Church of Venus]

Reinholdt considers momentarily suggesting that he and Ambrosia split up, figuring he could question the woman he knows outside while Ambrosia takes a different approach inside. But he ends up deciding against it, thinking that there'll be time to do that later. Right now, he can listen in on a sermon! The contents of said sermon could be very telling after all. It usually is, exposing the driving force behind the words when carefully analyzed.

That monkey might be distracting though, as the instinct to hunt it down and pounce on it blossoms instantly. Fortunately, as a cat of reason, Rein doesn't have to act on said instincts and merely observes as he takes a seat towards the middle. Close enough to listen but far enough away to whisper if it becomes necessary.
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Church of Venus]

Ambrosia was used to this kind of attention. Perhaps not so much so in the nexus but where she's from she was always the talk of the town whenever she went which was why she hid her more unusual features under a hat.

Of course, she was not wearing said hat right now so she just sat down near Rein and started observing as if nothing had happened. Since while there were no dragons here the presence of fey was enough to intrigue her. They were after all her nemesis in a way which made her glad she had come here in her human body. Left her a lot less exposed to their manipulations.

[Destiny Temple]

"I dunno." Raheeda considers this offer for a moment. "It's not like I dislike the robes..." She glances at Hiep. "But what do you need to find out anyway? Since they don't like people trying to spy on them, I can tell you that much."
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Draco Street Bakery]

Asami raises an eyebrow at Rowan. "What would you prefer I call you then? I don't really know any characters as fat as you. Squidward in that one episode where he ate all those Krabby Patties, maybe?"
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Draco Street Bakery

Darko nods, pleased to give a progress report. "Yeah, it's been good. I've been doing archeology stuff, and I've made a few friends. I'm actually working on moving out of the Theatre too." Of course, he's still going to be spending quite a bit of time there. For reasons.

At Asami's continued needling, he sighs deeply. "Call him Rowan, since that's his name. Also, he's my friend, so try to be nice?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Destiny Temple]

"I need to find out what's actually going on here. Some of my contacts think they're messing with something big." Best not to say too much about the Bureau to Raheeda. "There's no avoiding stepping on toes in my line of work, either."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Draco Street Bakery

"He wasn't even all fat; it was just his thighs." Rowan rolls his eyes. Man he's gotten used to being called fat but he's not even being hit with ACCURATE insults!
"You ain't his familiar, so you get to call Chonkasaurus by his name. Or else I'll be calling you Little Shit On Thin Friggin Ice." grumbles Ratticus, who Rowan also pointedly ignores.

"I'm glad you've been doing well. I never did get around to trying to meet your wizard friends. Oh but I did get a cool staff, wanna see it?"
Rowan reaches behind the counter to fetch his copper, pine, and crystal cake-peel-staff. He keeps it very well polished.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Draco Street Bakery]

Asami crosses her arms, shooting a provoking frown at Darko. "I'm not gonna just be nice to someone i'm meeting for the first time. Besides, this is the Nexus, any one of your friends can be literally Lucifer in disguise," she replies jocularly.

Asami slouches in annoyance in response to Ratticus. Irate, she says, "That doesn't even make any sense! What would you even know about 'little' you, uh... bug?" Asami raises the fingertips of one of her hands to her forehead, closing her eyes in deep contemplation. "No, no, that's not right at all. I know I can do better than that."

She seems really frustrated at the moment, looking to Darko for security. "Darko-senpai! You read a lot. Are there any clever insults you remember from any of your books?"
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Draco Street Bakery

"Oooh," Darko coos over the staff, "That looks great! I actually got a staff too, lemme just..." He straightens out his sleeves, then with a flourish he pulls out his cane from nowhere, complete with glowing gem topper. "And it's not too late to meet the Wizards, they're always around." He glances to the side and grins at something unseen.

"By your logic, you or I could be Lucifer," he says to Asami, frowning, "whoever that is."

But then she appeals to his nerdy interests. "Ooh well I'm always a fan of Shakespeare's insults, let's see... 'thine face is not worth sunburning'... 'thou lump of foul deformity'..." Then his brain catches up. "But hey, there's no need to insult anyone at all. We can all just chill out and be friends instead!"