Inside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Re: Inside

Post by Rebonack »

[The Widening Gyre]

"Are you sure?" Khannie asks Asami, keeping one eye on the younger girl while keeping the other on the serpent. That's one of the upsides to having those funny horizontal pupils. You get a nice wide field of vision! But then?

Whole lotta cool stuff happened all at once here.

First a lizardman comes hurtling out of the sky like a comet and smites the heck outta the snake. Then Raheeda stabs it in the eye with a molten glaive. Then Harley stabs it in the OTHER eye with a knife empowered by... Divine rabbit power? Or something?

Either way!

The snake just got a horribel wound to its neck and both its eyes stabbed out.

Enraged and in pain, the storm serpent lashes violently against the chain pinning it to the earth, possibly bucking Kothar off with its gyrations. Opening its mouth wide, the serpent begins gathering a growing orb of lightning inside of its maw-
-only for a lance of shadow to go zipping through it from Khannie's horn.

The darkness seems to infect the building magic, causing the whole thing to just goosh like a water balloon filled with ink and raining a bunch of shadow down inside the snake's mouth. Given that it's goal here was to release a giant lightning shock-wave and fry everyone nearby this really wasn't what it had in mind at all. The liquid shadow is harmless; it just feels pleasantly cool to the touch, but it did a great of totally counter-spelling the serpent's attack.

Tags:
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

Morty wrote: Dec 29, 2023 6:31 pm [Destiny Temple]

"Oh, we just got caught up in talking a little bit," Hiep says glibly. "But I'd still like that massage. Feels like ages since I had one."
[Destiny Temple]

"Isn't that nice, you must have more in common than I realized." Salestrah remarks as she eyes them both.
Raheeda feels like she's missing something from their exchange judging by the look of utter confusion on her face.

Though before she can add anything Salestrah speaks up again.
"But come then, collect your clothes and we'll get you to massage room."
She gestures for them to follow. "I hope you won't mind that I'll provide it? I'm educated in the ways of the touch."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

The Widening Gyre

Harley stares down at his hands in shock, then shakes himself. Whatever weird stuff is happening with his magic, it absolutely does not matter right now. Not when his friends are still fighting such a dangerous foe.

Vaulting over the balcony, he hits the ground running, closing the ground between him and the snake quickly. It has no eyes, and he has no weapon, so how best to distract it from his more dangerous allies?

Do something stupid, says the feeling in his gut. Well, he can't ignore that.

The snake's mouth is still open from its attempted lightning blast. Perfect. With a running leap through the shadowy wave, Harley tries to grab onto its lower jaw. If he gets a hold, he'll swing up his legs and do a full body cling. Can't bite him if he's executing a limpet maneuver, and that might stop it from targeting anyone else until he's dislodged.

Which might send him flying to his doom. Well, at least he has good grip strength.
horses can attack and eat me
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Church of Venus]

Reinholdt is on to you monkey. Your schemes won't succeed here today.

Rein gives the girl a little smile, not particularly bothered, but then she was pointing at Ambrosia. So maybe everyone else was bothered. But not him. It's not like the speaker seemed to be going anywhere with their analogy? Metaphor? Reinholdt admits to being lost. Perhaps this was a two-parter and he came in on the second part.

There's some observation of the half-fae woman. Reinholdt can't tell she's fae, only that her cloak is strangely shaped, moving oddly. But he's unable to ascertain exactly why. The cloak does its job well.

So that's the high priest. Gives them the option to go directly to the top, though given the occasional glances in Rein's direction, he may not be forthcoming. They all seem pretty guarded.
► SHOW SPOILER
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Destiny Temple]

"That's entirely fine," Hiep says as she gets out of the water. Indeed, Salestrah is likely one of her best sources of information here. But she has to be careful about asking questions. There's no way she doesn't expect people poking and prying. "Are you coming too, Raheeda?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[The Widening Gyre]

Eyes down!
Now-
Her eyes widens and Raheeda pauses for a moment as she sees shadow lance meet the lighting orb building inside the serpents mouth as she expects some kind of explosive outcome.
But instead, nothing.

Huh.

Well, that actually beats the explosive outcome now that she thinks about it considering how many people that were around the creature. But there were no more times for thoughts, she had to use the little time that lance had bought her.

Too focused to notice Harley's maneuvers Raheeda is going to sprint right up to the serpent in order to gather momentum for her leap of faith. Aiming for its throat she's attempting to thrust the glaive right through its throat mid-air with all her momentum behind it.

[Church of Venus]

Ambrosia listens to the sermon but doesn't find anything especially noteworthy about it. The empire she lived in had many just barely legal sects that had their own interpretation of the draconic truth. Some held certain dragons more in favor than others while a few focused more on the empress herself.

While this style of sermon was certainly new she got a feeling that the preacher wasn't particularly good at it.

But her interest is caught once the second speaker approaches. If there was something inhuman behind that cloak it might imply that this woman was higher up in the chain of command. Since it was common for organizations to reveal parts of the 'divine truth' the higher you climbed and in this case that might include the transformation which she now choose to conceal for the unworthy.

Then something she says makes her do a double-take. Another 'cult'? Had she really used that word to describe her own faith? Perhaps it had different implications in the nexus then if the word was used so freely. Since back home a cult was a sect which had strayed too far from the canon or become too popular and thus had to be excluded from the community. Violently in many cases.

But other than that, besides the transformations that seemed to be tied to the faith it seemed like a rather standard sect, or cult as they might have it.

[Destiny Temple]

"Ehh... I'm not sure I'd like to be touched and kneaded." Raheeda remarks hesitantly. "But I can stand around and make sure no funny business is happening?" She suggests to Hiep.

Salestrah looks to Hiep. "Think that depends on your friends definition of 'funny business'. Do you prefer just a back massage or you want me to do a frontal as well?" She inquires as she hands them both a towel. "There's also the full-body massage of course or just the feet and shoulders. Just to mention the basic ones."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Destiny Temple]

"I'm sure there's going to be no 'funny business' with a massage." She's in fact not sure at all, but it's important that she keeps any suspicions under wraps. And should she really involve Raheeda too much in her investigation? "No need to hover around me, Raheeda. I'll be fine. And I'll get a back and front massage, I suppose."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Destiny Temple]

Raheeda's eyebrows raise at Hiep's assessment. "Alright, I guess I'll go and get my robes then."

"And then you can go and take your assessment now. Once you're both done you can meet here again." Salestrah suggests.

"Oh yeah." Raheeda pauses, still looking unsure about this plan. "I guess." She reluctantly agrees.

"Excellent, shall we then?" Salestrah gestures for the door with the sign reading "Massage Room".

"See you later then. Hopefully." Raheeda waves good bye as she starts walking away.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

quillpleasant wrote: Dec 28, 2023 5:26 am Intersection Precinct

Lia glances at Bunny. "Hoshiki tried to kill both me and Michalson at the duel. We're both still here. He's extraordinarily powerful, but he's not a god."

She gets to her feet, stretching before stepping over to the detective. "I'll remain here and look after Bunny, make sure she stays safe. Unfortunately I can't personally be in more than one place at once, but I can give you this." She clasps her hands together, then opens them, presenting a single bright red mushroom to him.

"I can sense things through this, so I can keep an eye on you. If things get dicey, crush it, and it'll create a shield around you before drawing you underground." Lia smiles wryly. "Earth seems to be a barrier that's hard for the reapers to get through. It worked on Sandels, at least."
Morty wrote: Dec 28, 2023 6:51 pm [Intersection Precinct]

"I'm alive mostly because he decided to stop tryin' to styx me. But I won't say no to extra protection." Michalson takes the mushroom. "I'll meet him and hope for the best. I'm a reckless berk, as we've established."
Bunny blinks at Lia's choice of words. "Not a "god"? Didn't need to be to kill the other you. What does that term even mean to you?" She shakes her head, repeating the phrase "not a god" under her breath like it's some kind of inside joke.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Destiny Temple]

Hiep sure hopes she knows what she's doing. But it's not a common occurrence when she does. Maybe it will work out somehow.

"See you later, Raheeda," she says as she proceeds to the massage room.

[The Widening Gyre]

Michalson can't see anything he could do to the serpent without its being more dangerous to the people already fighting it. Instead, he hurries over to Asami as quickly as his leg allows.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by [brackets lover] »

[The Widening Gyre]

Asami frowns a bit. "No, I'm not sure." She nervously looks towards the giant serpant, wincing over the sight of the ongoing violence. "I mean it looks like these guys are winning, but... Maybe there will be something even more giant and more fitting for my power level?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Destiny Temple]

On the other side is a rectangular room, shaped almost like a public shower. But rather than showers there are a series of grey massage tables separated by white drapes. The floor seems to be made of glass and beneath it appears to be a grassy field with a brook running through it. Visually separating the tables on the right and the left from one another.

At one of the table stands a tray with wheels which houses a large collection of massage oils.
Salestrah gestures moves beside it and gestures for Hiep to lay down. "Is there any special kind of oil you prefer? Since we got a vast collection here." She inquires with a smile. "I do think we're going to start with your back though unless you feel otherwise. Since you would know your body best."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Destiny Temple]

"I'll leave that to your expertise," Hiep says as she stretches out on the table, face-down. "Although... if you have anything with jasmine, I'ld like that."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Destiny Temple]

"I will see what I can do." Salestrah remarks as she can hear her step closer. "But before we begin I had a couple of questions. Do you prefer if I stay quiet or do you want small talk? In the same vein, you want to have relaxing music or sounds on or do you prefer silence?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Destiny Temple]

"Go ahead and talk. Put on some music, too. I don't like silence and I'm not great at not talking for extended periods."

Definitely true, that. Anyone who's met Hiep is aware of that, so this time at least she's not deceptive.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Destiny Temple]

"So what sort of things do you like to talk about then? You did seem to have been able to keep up a long conversation with your friend there at least. You hadn't moved from the spot I left you in for an hour as far as I could tell." Salestrah observes as tranquil forest sounds starts to play.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

The Widening Gyre
His massive strike finished, Kothar shakes off the daze of the impact and pulls his axe free from the wound in the serpent's neck. He grips the beast tightly as it spasms, raises his weapon, and brings it down. And again, and again, hacking at the serpent's spine with brutal force.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Destiny Temple]

"Oh, anything, really. But right now I'm mostly curious about this goddess whose statues I saw here. I don't think I'm familiar with her."

A seemingly innocent question and nothing about Hiep's voice or intonation betrays anything more than curiosity. Of course, sufficiently close scrutiny might pierce the veil.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[The Widening Gyre]

Let's be real here.

Jumping into the giant snake's mouth is a really bad plan.

Thankfully the giant snake is getting stabbed through the mouth by a magma glaive while also getting its neck chopped by a fire axe that is ALSO empowered with divine energy. This is a very bad time for the snake, giant or no, and it's head gets burned/chopped off through sheer brutal power.

Of course, since this is a snake, that means its body begins writhing around violently while the mouth begins biting at empty air over and over again. This probably won't be great for anyone nearby.

Still, better than getting your breath stolen by the breath stealing serpent.

Khannie trots a little closer, eyeing the last thunder egg still on the anchor.

If that's what breaking the previous one dropped on them then what will breaking THAT one summon?
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

The Widening Gyre

Harley literally cannot be stopped from taking the most stupid and dangerous tactic at any given time. Maybe he feels like it's the best way to prove his commitment to breaking the curse. Or maybe it's because hitting things with his head so often has given him multiple untreated concussions at this point. No one knows, least of all him.

What he does know, is that the snake is now dead, or at least deadish. So he rolls away from the remains, getting to his feet and breathing heavily. He retrieves his knife, then turns to peer at the anchor.

"Alright, uh... shit. Let's finish this so we can, uh, go home. Or wherever." Man, he's bad at one liners. Harley breaks into a sprint, heading towards the egg- but moving slowly enough so that the other warriors can keep up. He'd rather not deal with whatever kaiju serpent is summoned next.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

The Widening Gyre

Looked like Raheeda had finally found someone more suicidal than her.
Not that she was that prone compared to some of her coworkers but anyone that made a living going to extremely dangerous places just for the chance of loot wasn't really prioritizing safety.

"Oh, did you get eaten?" She inquires as she casually walks up to Harley and looks over him. Her own spear dripping with the blood of the serpent which was also all over her robes by this point.
Looking him up and down she makes a conclusion. "Ahh, you just got into it's mouth. You're fine then." Raheeda pats him on the shoulder. "It's the chewing that's the dangerous part and with snakes that don't start until you're swallowed. Lucky break!" She gives him a wide smile.

[Destiny Temple]

"It's all a part of our temple aesthetic." Salestrah replies as her hands start to gently knead the massage oil into Hiep's back. "We found it fitting to fill it with statues of various goddess of beauty who you see depicted around us."

She pauses for a moment. "Do tell me if you're getting sleepy and I'll increase the pace. Some people find this a bit too relaxing."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

The Widening Gyre

Harley is definitely battered, but he's avoided getting skewered by a giant fang, so that's a win as far as he's concerned. He's also pleased that Raheeda is doing well, since that's way too much blood to be hers. Slowing his pace, he gives a casual salute.

"Yeah, I've been through worse. At least I wasn't possessed, or blinded, or stabbed, or nearly drowned, or chewed on by rats..." They've been through a lot in their quests so far. Guess that's just part of being a hero.

"So, what do you reckon? One last egg, probably something too big to decapitate. Maybe the magic kid can do something about it?" He matches her smile, with the left half of his mouth showing through the newly formed gap in his mask.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

The Widening Gyre

"Maybe someone could raise it with love and care? That way we don't need to trigger whatever will happen when its destroyed." Raheeda suggests with a gesture at the egg. "Or maybe we could just run away with it? 'Cause then it won't notice the egg being destroyed?"

A beat.

"Or we could just let the magic child do it." She agrees.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

The Widening Gyre

"As pleasant as it would be to raise it, I'm not even sure it's really alive. These 'eggs' seem more like magical constructs." Harley points up at the chain. "Plus it's the only way I know of to get rid of this."

He glances around nervously. Harley isn't totally willing to be the one who goes through with smashing the last egg, since he doesn't want whatever happens next to be his fault. So he's hoping someone else takes matters into their own hands.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[The Widening Gyre]

Of course, being on Khannie's back, Asami is brought along closer to the egg.

Raheeda and Harley's exchange earns an incredulous look from Asami, who tilts her head and questions, "Do people around here normally joke in these types of situations? I feel like I'm in an MCU film right now."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[The Widening Gyre]

"I don't know what an MCU is, but aye. It's an affliction among adventurers. I've been there," says a half-elven man as he approaches the others. He's not quite limping but his right leg has clearly seen better days. "I appreciate everyone's problem-solving but we probably don't have much time to decide what to do with this egg."

[Destiny Temple]

Hiep does start getting sleepy. Is it normal? She's not sure, but she manages to keep her eyes open. Good thing she's used to staying awake even while blind drunk.

"So it's just aesthetic? My contacts were worried a new god is muscling in on their territory."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Destiny Temple]

"Oh no, we don't treat religion as just an aesthetic, however pleasing it might be. Several of the people working here are part of the faiths which are represented in our art. Anything else would be rather disrespectful don't you think? But I'm afraid that means several gods are muscling their way in I suppose. Is that a problem?" Salestrah inquires.

At this point Hiep will start uncannily sleepy even the massage continues. Salestrah's skillful hands making her feel more relaxed than she even thought possible.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[A Real Arcade]

So, Asami going to the arcade after school became something of a frequent habit. So much so that if a friend needed to find her, for purposes urgent or otherwise, they'd have to have a special degree of inattention to not think to expect her there.

Today, in particular, she arrives in the company of someone with whom she shares an uncertain relationship, someone she both loves to torment and yearns to be close with.

Dressed in her winter coat, Asami enters the gaming edifice with Agate. The myriad rows of cabinets stood as impressive as ever, Asami's eyes lighting up at the sight as she stands in the foyer. However, she suddenly frowns, feeling around in her pockets for the sum total of her net worth. "Hey, did you bring any money?" she asks shamelessly.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[brackets lover] wrote: Jan 14, 2024 5:52 am [The Widening Gyre]

Of course, being on Khannie's back, Asami is brought along closer to the egg.

Raheeda and Harley's exchange earns an incredulous look from Asami, who tilts her head and questions, "Do people around here normally joke in these types of situations? I feel like I'm in an MCU film right now."
[The Widening Gyre]

Raheeda eyes Asami as she slowly seems to realize that the kids comment was meant for them.
So the magic child was addressing them? Uh-oh.
"Uh, no jokes. No jokes at all. Only honest suggestions, oh great magical child."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

A Real Arcade

Agate also looks around rather awed when she arrives. She's never been in one of these before, and is quite impressed. The dwarf girl's still wearing her school uniform, with a large black coat over the top. "Of course I brought money. Did you bring money?" Agate doesn't produce the money, at least not yet. She's a twelve-year-old dwarf girl with dusky skin and gleaming copper hair, wearing a school skirt of blue chequers, a white shirt and navy blazer under her black coat.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.