Outside: Grass touch place

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Morty »

[The Lair]

"It's not impossible that she did it for shits and giggles, but that's more concerning in a way." Thariza huffs, her tail swishing behind her. "I think I've heard of your mother. Seen her on the news, too."

[On the Trail]

Sekhmet can't control winds, but Hiep can. She looks at the sky and draws a shape in the air. Her finger trails yellow stardust that forms the constellation of the Ship's Wheel. With it, her Essence reaches out to the clouds, trying to push them aside and quiet the wind. Of course, since the weather isn't entirely natural, it's her will against its master's.

Regardless of how well that goes, she whistles and is lifted up by a sparrowhawk that swoops in from above. The bird shouldn't be able to move her at all, but in defiance of all physics it easily carries her upwards. The yellow glow intensifies around her and trails behind her like a comet's tail.

Tags:
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[The Lair]

"You must have dropped it my-" Pool? Bath? Neither word seemed to fit. "-somewhere. But I think it will be best if I return you to her if she has a temper." Like you? "But first I do think I owe you to feed you as there's something you need to know if you're going to stay like that."

Her tail dips into the pile of books that Mary was restrained on and presents the mirror to her.
"Might be a good idea to look at yourself in that too. If you're anything like me you're going to have to focus to keep the dragon out of it in the future." She inclines her head towards the door and starts to walk out of it.

[On the Trail]

Sekhmet doesn't seem to be burning away any kind of beings as far as she can tell. Whatever these strange cloud faces are not attacking either her or Khannie.

But that could also just be the work of Hiep as she's attempting to direct away the clouds. They seem unwilling to move as much as the Exalted had wanted them to however. Stubbornly only moving little by little and not completely out of the way either. Hiep gets a feeling that it's like commanding old guard dogs, they've been with their owner so long that even with special talents like hers its difficult to make them do as she says.

Still, they're not being hostile to Hiep either as she ascends through the aid of sparrowhawk.

Khannie is nonetheless the first that nearly flies her head straight into solid rock. As straight above her is the legendary (right side up) floating mountain. The bottom side of it appears as ordinary as one might imagine the underside of a piece of flying landscape to be. Just grey rock as far as her eyes can see.
The interesting parts are probably on the top-side of it, though with the powers of the groups disposal they might decide to attempt to get into it from below instead.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[On the Trail]

Is that green haired lady getting carried up to the top of the mountain by a bird?

Not like... giant eagles from Lord of the Rings or whatever, either. Just like a regular bird.

Whatever.

Khannie has more important things to focus on than zany Nexus magic.

Trying to fly straight up is kinda tricky, so she's gunna cheat a little. She has a secret weapon, after all! Faewyld dragons have got sticky gecko toes! Beating her wings to maintain forward momentum, she begins RUNNING along the face of the mountain in bounding leaps! It's slightly slower than flying on the level by itself BUT it gets her going in the direction she needs to go!

Heedless of the clash of wills roiling through the clouds she ascends skyward looking for the top of the mountain. She figures there's probably a castle or something up there like in Jack and the Beanstalk.

[The Silent Sepulcher]

And so in Tahara goes.

The heat is oppressive, to say the least. Smothering. Like stepping into a pressure cooker. She had visions of the treks through the crystal cave but this likely didn't prepare her for actually experiencing it. Navigating through the tangled pillars of crystal is an arduous process, but at the very least she knows the route that she needs to take. It's hard to gauge time in here in a place where one can literally watch the massive crystals growing, but eventually she'll find what she was looking for.

Atop a pillar of white crystal there is... an object.

How would one describe a moment, congealed into a physical thing? How would one perceive time distilled and decanted?

There's a sense of weight to it, of inexorability, of pitiless progression. There's a sense of possibility, of things not yet done. There's a sense of fatalism, of the indelible past. There's a since of whirling, of whirring, of turning. And though there is no sound, Tahara could almost swear she can hear it ticking.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

The Lair
"You probably did. She was on the news a few times." the princess responds to Thariza.

Mary gingerly takes the mirror in her talons. "I can't use it, I'm way too big." She's nervous about shapeshifting back right now, up until a few minutes ago she was too badly injured to shapeshift at all.
She follows Ambrosia out of the room. "What do you mean?" If it's about dragons needing lots of food, she's sure her family can work something out.

On the Trail
Sekhmet ascends, buoyed by the heat of her flames. She passes Khannie and hovers near Hiep. Now that they can see the mountain, she doesn't really need the sidereal to lead her. Whatever they're looking for is probably on top.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Morty

Post by Morty »

[The Lair]

"I'm starting to wonder if I'll eventually turn into a dragon just by hanging around you long enough," Thariza observes.

[On the Trail]

Hiep's carrier-bird continues to ascend. She'll only consider going from below or halfway up the mountain if she can see some means of entrance or a weak point. She can't punch through this much solid rock.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[On the Trail]

That's a fun way of Khannie to move around the mountain and it does also give her some shelter from the awful winds up here.

Hiep and Sekhmet have to rely on the exalts ability to keep the worst of those winds away instead as they start soaring towards the top.
Khannie soon reaches what seems to be the divide between the lower and upper portion of the flying mountain as it flattens out significantly once she gets over that final ledge. Here she can see what appears to be a fortified settlement laying at the foot of the mountain she still have to ascend. She can't see much of it however as said mountain is blocking most of her view of it from this angle but even from here she can tell its in a state of disrepair.

Sekhmet and Hiep will soon be able to see this as well but from another point of view. Since they're ascending right at the back of the mountain so they will see this settlement resting in the valley below the massive structure that's at the very top of the mountain. It isn't quite a castle, or at least not an European style one. It consist of three connected square-shaped structures with hip-and-gable roofs that seems to have somehow been carved out of the mountain itself.

Khannie will only see one entrance to it from the angle she's approaching the building, it's a door on the east-facing side which only seems reachable by flight.
Hiep and Sekhmet can see another entrance on the west side which has a path leading down the mountain. That must be the main entrance as it seems more accessible and there's also a number of smaller structures just outside of it.
In addition there does seem to be a number of windows in the upper sections of the main building though neither seems large enough for them to fit through even from this distance.

The Lair

Thariza's joke makes the dragon snort, though what sounds to be more in annoyance than amusement. "You shouldn't joke about such things, Thariza."

As they exit the great hall they enter an even larger hall and like in the lair this one is also filled with books though in a distinctively more orderly fashion as this is a library. Illuminated by the light of dozens if not hundreds glowing orbs are wast bookshelves laid out in sections and categories if the markings on them are of any indication.

These shelves have been built around the many great pillars which raise to the ceiling far above them. Mary, considering her current size, can probably tell that this place was probably build for her to fly around in with the lack of any kind of floors or other barriers. Yet curiously enough the boardwalks going in-between the many bookshelves don't seem large enough for her to land on.

Though perhaps more concerningly is what are right by their feet. Since just beyond the great door they came through are the dismembered body parts and viscera of several scaly individuals judging by the fact they were wearing armor and clothes.

Survivors that seems to be part of the same staff of people are busy cleaning up the mess but all stop as Megeshi/Ambrosia as she exits the library, though seem even more shocked as Mary appears just behind her.
"At ease." The dragon remarks, addressing the guards. "This is Mary and Thariza." Though its questionable if they have even noticed the charr yet. "They're guests and I need to attend to their needs before I can give the dead proper peace. Let me assure you though, the culprit will be caught and punished for this."

The group gives nods of acknowledgement but don't actually address them. Instead they go back to their grim work of cleaning up the mutilated bodies of their dead brethren.

Then Ambrosia turns back to Mary. "But like I was about to say, you won't just be needing the usual food. You will also need to feed on spirits now to sustain yourself as long as you remain a dragon."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

On the Trail
Sekhmet looks at the town and castle. The town appears abandoned, so she thinks the castle (or whatever it is) would be a better place to check.bshe flies in a wide circle around it. "We should take the eastern entrance! It'll be less guarded!" she shouts over the wind.
Her assumption might not be correct; while an aerial entrance would be less heavily guarded in a normal fortress, anyone who could get up here can fly, so that's less likely the case. But Sekhmet's not really expecting organized resistance. Judging by the state of the town, she expects only monsters lair in the castle.

The Lair
Mary tries not to look at the mutilated dead.
"Spirits? You mean I'd have to eat people's souls?" the thought disturbs Mary.
Eating spirits comes with some unpleasant implications.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[On the Trail]

Is it still super stormy up here on the top of the mountain? If not, Khannie will take to the wing again. She's still a dragon, there's still some flight magic involved for sure, but she's built for navigating the narrow confines of primordial forests. Not fighting against stormy winds in the open sky. Her butterfly-scaled wings really aren't fit to take that kind of violent abuse.

If things ARE still stormy she'll call back, "Alright! I'm heading that way!" to Sekhmet, using her magic to project the illusion of her voice exactly where it needs to go. Then? More climbing! She should be able to make it up to the entrance pretty fast.

This place looks pretty run down.

Kinda deserted.

Like it's some ancient mythical place that people forgot about and a dragon decided to use it as a lair.

But that sorta thing happens a whole lot with dragons, doesn't it?

Once she's made it up to the entrance the Fox doesn't remove the dragon mask. She's pretty sure having a dragon on hand to negotiate with the other dragon might help. Maybe? Some dragons can be pretty dismissive of non-dragons and it would suck if that totally sabotaged their efforts to save Mary.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[On the Trail]

"Alright!" Hiep shouts back. She doesn't know enough about this place to make an informed decision, so might as well go with that. The sparrowhawk drops her in front of the entrance from a considerable height, but she seems to roll with the impact without any harm.

[The Lair]

Damn, but the thief ripped through the library staff like a cannon shot through dry wood. Ambrosia wants to hunt them down and obviously she should, but something tells Thariza that they're not to be trifled with. Especially because they also vanished without a trace after their break-in. To say nothing of getting up here to begin with.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[The Lair]

"Spirits and souls aren't quite the same thing, nor are the souls we're thinking of. But you shouldn't worry about these spirits. They return at each dawn even if they're completely devoured. That's why they were brought here, to be replenishable food." Ambrosia explains as Mary seems hesitant.

Then she turns to Thariza. "And why don't you..." With her head she indicates towards her back. "Discreetly."

She had done this before, she wanted that Thariza got up on her back and hid in her feathers. For some reason she didn't like it when people saw Thariza riding on her.

[On the Trail]

It isn't quite as windy as the mountain provides some shelter so Khannie should be able to fly the last bit.

Hiep and Sekhmet will notice something as they're gazing down at the village below. There's second settlement laying in-between peak of the mountain and the fortified town. It consist of a number of buildings that like the castle-like structure seems to have been built right out the mountain itself. However, their architecture is radically different.

While the roofs of both the not-castle and the buildings of the town are of a hip-and-gable style these are rounded and completely without slates and decorations. Making them all appear more like bunkers than houses. They're definitively newer than the village in the valley below, perhaps build around the same time as the not-castle itself.

But they're heading to the east-facing side of the not castle which is facing nearly directly away from this peculiar settlement.

As the both groups approaches the east entrance they can see that its far too large to be meant for humanoids. Indeed, it's far larger than the 'main entrance'. Given that they know that a dragon lives here it isn't too hard to guess that this is the way its meant to enter the building.

Two dragon heads which have been carved into the sides of the enormous door before them suddenly animates once they get close. "Who approaches?" One of the heads inquires.
"The library does not allow visitors at the moment. Do you have a message for the master?" The other one adds.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

On the Trail
Giant talking heads? This place isn't as abandoned as Sekhmet thought. "Your master is holding a girl. My daughter. She will be released to me, or you will suffer the consequences." Sekhmet's voice booms out supernaturally loud. The demon queen is not happy, and she's not messing around.

The Lair
That sounds reasonable, if bizarre. "So what do I... Do?" Does she just take a bite of one of the spirits? Absorb them using magic? How does this work?
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[On the Trail]

Khannie jumps a bit when Sekhmet makes LOUD SOUNDS. She wasn't really expecting that but maybe she should have been. The faewyld dragon also steps forward. "Um, I'm Khannie Vallarm, a friend of the girl that got teleported here. I think it was some kinda prank by this floating star weirdo at the Thanksmas party Mary didn't do anything wrong, okay? She shouldn't be in trouble this was just all a mean joke."

She's being a little more diplomatic than Sekhmet is.

Sure, Mary is Khannie's best friend and practically her sis, but she's not her MOM.

And Sekhmet definitely seems like she's in mama kangaskhan mode right now.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[The Lair]

"Yep, I'll be quiet as a mouse."

By now Thariza is well familiar with Ambrosia's need to project authority. It's best to roll with it most of the time. Unless she goes too far and threatens to eat someone.

[On the Trail]

"I'm Hiep. I'm just helping them out," the Exalt supplies, but the glow around her and the sign of Mercury shining on her forehead might raise further questions. Her answer is technically true, just incomplete.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Greater Sattleborough

Not a city- Greater Sattleborough is bigger than Little Sattleborough, but probably not home to more than a couple thousand people at best. Well, it's home to nobody at the moment, as the rumbles and roars of the juggernaut continue to sound, getting louder as the carriage gets closer.

It's eventually revealed, in fact; the juggernaut hasn't left Greater Sattleborough because it can't. It smashed into a large building- probably either a town hall or a pub, judging by the size- which possessed a basement or cellar, and crashed through the floor. The rest of the building has collapsed around the juggernaut, which roars louder as it spots the carriage. Its wheels spin faster and it turns its axles as best it can, and somehow, it just about manages to dig in and start to gain purchase as it finally, after twenty years, starts to make its way out. "Um, Miss Calamity? I... think we need a quicker way out of here."

Sudden Cave

The light reveals a blank stone wall, carved by water. Limestone, if Lia has any geological knowledge, carved by the actions of water. There's slight terraces in the floor, home to cave-pearls and running water, with no sediment for roots or mycellia to infiltrate and explore. Following the wall around leads into a larger space, and someone here has painted on the wall. Ancient figures of horses and buffalo, hunters and mammoths, all disfigured by a more recent piece of graffiti, stale blood marring the archaic umber and clay- SAVE YOURSELF KILL THE OTHERS in large letters. Whoever wrote such a disturbing missive left no other trace, at least not in this chamber.

Following the wall around, eventually it seems to narrow. Lia doesn't have quite enough light to say if it's truly a passage ahead, or just a dead end, but it does slope upwards and that is where the water if falling from. There's still no light, however, so it may just be a deadend- or Lia could be displaced in time as well as space, and it may be night with no light to creep into the cave.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

On the Trail

The two heads aren't animated enough to make expressions and they look like dragons so its debatable how much they would have understood of them anyway.
But the fact that they turn to address Khannie rather than Sekhmet is still telling.
"The master will be informed of this." The first dragon remarks.
"Please wait here." The other one adds before they become completely still again.

[The Lair]

"Like you hunt and eat any other animal." Ambrosia tells Mary, resisting the urge to ask Thariza if she didn't mean 'like a cat'. But she had a feeling she wouldn't take it particularly well.
"You have done that, right?" She inquires as she spreads her wings, ready to take off.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

On the Trail
Sekhmet remains in place, fuming.

Literally. The column of smoke would be visible for miles if the winds weren't so strong.

She's not going to be happy until her daughter is returned, safe and sound.

The Lair
"No? Most people don't do that." Mary has eaten meat, but never hunted for it, let alone with her bare hands... Erm, talons.
The demon dragon spreads her own wings, intending to follow Ambrosia.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[On the Trail]

Welp.

Looks like a good time to shuffle in place anxiously.

Also to give this Hiep lady a good long look.

"You kinda remind me of someone," Khannie notes. She isn't even sure why she's saying this. She can't place WHO it is, exactly, that this random magical person from the Thanksmas party reminds her of.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Rebonack wrote: Dec 30, 2023 3:40 pm [The Silent Sepulcher]

And so in Tahara goes.

The heat is oppressive, to say the least. Smothering. Like stepping into a pressure cooker. She had visions of the treks through the crystal cave but this likely didn't prepare her for actually experiencing it. Navigating through the tangled pillars of crystal is an arduous process, but at the very least she knows the route that she needs to take. It's hard to gauge time in here in a place where one can literally watch the massive crystals growing, but eventually she'll find what she was looking for.

Atop a pillar of white crystal there is... an object.

How would one describe a moment, congealed into a physical thing? How would one perceive time distilled and decanted?

There's a sense of weight to it, of inexorability, of pitiless progression. There's a sense of possibility, of things not yet done. There's a sense of fatalism, of the indelible past. There's a since of whirling, of whirring, of turning. And though there is no sound, Tahara could almost swear she can hear it ticking.
[Silent Sepulcher]

There can be no question about it. This is what Tahara was here for.

It could hardly be anything else. An eldritch object like this, sitting on a convenient pedestal, buried deep beneath the Sepulcher... it could only be an Icon. If she claimed it, the promised apotheosis would await her.

But...

It can't be that easy, right?

There's still so much about this whole situation she doesn't understand. What's behind the other two doors? What was this whole mantra supposed to mean? Why did the pool show her as she was nearly a hundred years ago? Why does it feel like she still has so much further left to go, if her goal is right here?

Maybe... maybe she doesn't have to understand.

At every turn, this place seemed to turn her expectations aside. It didn't bar her from entry because she was unworthy. It opened itself up when she was not silent, despite its insistence on the subject. It didn't force her into contact with that thing in the other room, despite its presence almost screaming "a challenge for the worthy". And it practically funneled her into this room, where her prize was waiting.

If the people who built this place had some sort of intention, Tahara has to conclude for now that it's inscrutable.

So... maybe she just... should claim the Icon?

She's already gone through all of these visions reflecting the consequences of her choices. If this was going to hurt her, she would have seen it already.

Bracing herself, Tahara steps toward the pedestal and attempts to put her hands on the... thing.
Earl of Purple wrote: Jan 01, 2024 8:06 pm Greater Sattleborough

Not a city- Greater Sattleborough is bigger than Little Sattleborough, but probably not home to more than a couple thousand people at best. Well, it's home to nobody at the moment, as the rumbles and roars of the juggernaut continue to sound, getting louder as the carriage gets closer.

It's eventually revealed, in fact; the juggernaut hasn't left Greater Sattleborough because it can't. It smashed into a large building- probably either a town hall or a pub, judging by the size- which possessed a basement or cellar, and crashed through the floor. The rest of the building has collapsed around the juggernaut, which roars louder as it spots the carriage. Its wheels spin faster and it turns its axles as best it can, and somehow, it just about manages to dig in and start to gain purchase as it finally, after twenty years, starts to make its way out. "Um, Miss Calamity? I... think we need a quicker way out of here."
[Greater Sattleborough]

"Snrk." Jubilee snorts, barely registering Samantha's words. She's still asleep, unbothered by the sound of runaway siege equipment coming to ruin her choice of transportation, or by the implication that she'd likely lose some amount of her body in the process.

The dullahans, likewise, don't respond to her words... at least not in any immediately productive way. The driver turns slightly in his seat, in a manner that would suggest he's looking back at her if he had any head. His escort doesn't respond at all, instead simply keeping his "gaze" fixed on the juggernaut, quietly tracking its position relative to them.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

Earl of Purple wrote: Jan 01, 2024 8:06 pm Sudden Cave

The light reveals a blank stone wall, carved by water. Limestone, if Lia has any geological knowledge, carved by the actions of water. There's slight terraces in the floor, home to cave-pearls and running water, with no sediment for roots or mycellia to infiltrate and explore. Following the wall around leads into a larger space, and someone here has painted on the wall. Ancient figures of horses and buffalo, hunters and mammoths, all disfigured by a more recent piece of graffiti, stale blood marring the archaic umber and clay- SAVE YOURSELF KILL THE OTHERS in large letters. Whoever wrote such a disturbing missive left no other trace, at least not in this chamber.

Following the wall around, eventually it seems to narrow. Lia doesn't have quite enough light to say if it's truly a passage ahead, or just a dead end, but it does slope upwards and that is where the water if falling from. There's still no light, however, so it may just be a deadend- or Lia could be displaced in time as well as space, and it may be night with no light to creep into the cave.
Sudden Cave

Well, at least this place has water. If she can't find her way out, then Lia can potentially subsist here for a while until one of her other aspects is able to track her down. That's assuming, of course, that this cave is safe.

And that's not an assumption she's willing to make after seeing the ominous message scrawled on the wall. The scholar in her wants to stay here and study the ancient paintings, but Lia has read enough horror to know that when people take the time to write things in blood, then you had better heed whatever warning they leave. Perhaps it's lucky that she came here alone, if there's something about the cave that causes groups to end in bloodshed.

Pushing onward, she stares up into the darkness from whence the water drips. If her knowledge of caves is right, then running water usually comes from the surface- so it's as good a place as any to look for an exit. Working from feel alone, she drops to all fours and begins to carefully crawl up the slope, occasionally pausing to paw at the air in front of her, praying that she touches nothing but empty air or stone.
horses can attack and eat me
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

General Shrimp wrote: Dec 23, 2023 1:16 am Overly Adventurous

Kestrel's arrow whistles throught the air, and the shadow twists and splits around it, causing it to hit nothing but earth.

Well that's interesting, isn't it? It means the shadow probably can be hurt, otherwise it wouldn't need to dodge, right? But how do you hit something that can reshape itself so freely like that?

Unfortunately for Kestrel, she's not going to be given a lot of time to think about it. The mouse snarls and bounds towards her from one side while the shadow snakes round the other side, each lunging forward at the same time, the mouse aiming to gnash its teeth into her shin while the shadow aims to slice the back of her opposite ankle. Mouse and shadow appear to be quite well-practiced at acting in sync, and quite deadly.
Overly Adventurous

Learning something about your foe is great! Knowing that it had to dodge the arrow is really really useful! But it's no use learning something if you can't capitalize on it, and right now Kestrel just really really wished her arrow hit instead!

She yelps as both foes (both? or are they the same?) rush forwards, skipping out of the way of the shadow's cut but being just a touch too slow to clear the mouse's awful teeth. Kestrel lets out a screech of pain as it bites into her leg, leaving a nasty bloody mark. "Aaagh! Get off me!" She drives her other knee into the creature in a panicked reaction, trying to throw it off as her free hand now reaches for her small hunting knife instead of an arrow. If her impromptu kick does not dislodge it, she'll drive the knife downwards towards the mouse's head.
Bismark wrote:Silence, birb-wench.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Silent Sepulcher]

Maybe assuming anything in this place would make sense was a mistake? Catherine had been pretty cagey about what she had encountered inside the shrine. She had also stated in no uncertain terms that it had been trying. It had tested her, though in ways that made little sense at the time. These places were created almost as a byproduct of an unearthly being's presence. They re-order the world, but in alien ways.

So.

As her hand nears the prize something will strike Tahara.

What she's looking at is incomplete.

This is NOT the whole. It is but a part. A facet of the whole. Something that longs to be completed.

And the moment she would touch it, that moment seems to stretch. Longer and longer and longer until, like a rubber band pulled to its limit, it snaps.

The fragment is gone.

And the cavern around Tahara begins to accelerate. There is no silence anymore. Now she can here the rapid fire drip of water and the grinding, crackling sound of crystals growing. If she doesn't hurry back the way she came this geode will become a thunder egg with her encased within.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Silent Sepulcher]

Tahara is still dazed for a moment when the cavern starts shifting, which brings her back to the present. The present present, not whatever weird frozen moment was happening when she came in.

Broadly speaking, when the walls start threatening to collapse on her, it's time to go.

Tahara starts back the way she came, running at full sprint down the path she took to this spot. With any luck, the path will still be as clear as it was on the first go, and she doesn't have to improvise her navigation... that could go very badly, very quickly.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Silent Sepulcher]

Time to go.

In so far as time means anything here.

The mad dash through the closing geode is a harrowing one. Getting in was trying enough, this place was in no made for a person to navigate. Getting out is worse since the crystals are filling in the space little by little. It should come as no shock, though, that as she stumbles back through the door she can hear the clash and grind of crystals growing together behind her.

A second line of light now traces its way across the floor to the pool at the center of the chamber.

That leaves two doors remaining.

Stillness within.
Stillness without.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[On the Trail]

"Really? We've never met before." The lie comes to Hiep as easily as breathing. It's hardly the first time someone met both the real her and one of her resplendent destinies. "Maybe you've met someone who also has green hair."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[On the Trail]

The dragons remain still for now. They might have to wait for a bit until they get a reply.

The Lair

"Most people in the nexus perhaps. Where I'm from most people have at least been involved in the process of slaughtering an animal. Part of the food making process." Ambrosia tilts her head, giving Mary a curious look. "This won't meant that I have to feed you, do I?"

As she asks this a curious bird approaches from above. Diving towards the purple dragon and stops just inches from her ears.

Thariza would have already seen these creatures but Mary will quickly realize that this bird is actually made of paper. Or more accurately, the carefully folded page of a book.
"I see." Ambrosia remarks all of sudden as if the tiny bird had told her something. "Tell them that we will meet them in the village below and that Mary is safe."

The bird darts away again with its message relayed, soon disappearing among the book cases.
"Looks like someone claiming to be your mother is here. Along with company. We shall meet them in the village below." The dragon flaps her wings and ascends into the air, expecting Mary to follow her.
But she would want an answer to that question...
bc56

Post by bc56 »

On the Trail
Sekhmet stares at Khannie and Hiep.
"Really? You don't? ... At all?" She doesn't really realize that Hiep was previously using a supernatural disguise when Khannie was around.

The Lair
"You don't need to do that! Just show me what to do and I can do it myself," Mary doesn't want to be spoon-fed like a baby. She needs to be able to take care of herself

"Wait, Mum's here? I need to see her, quickly!" Mary spreads her wings and follows Ambrosia. She has to see Sekhmet as soon as possible.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[On the Trail]

Staring seems like a reasonable reaction given that Sekhmet had helped with the bewitched girl that Hiep and Khannie had brought to her home.

"You kinda remind me of this janitor from my school," Khannie reasons, still giving Hiep an appraising look. "She's got green hair too, which is kinda unusual I guess. And she's helped out with a few adventures and things. Or, well, not HELPED. Y'know, 'cuz she's a janitor and stuff. She was just there since it was part of a school function to make sure everything was okay."

A totally normal thing for a normal janitor to do.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Halae »

Rebonack wrote: Dec 17, 2023 5:44 pm [The Ruined Observatory]

"Yeah, gravity is really weird in here so you wanna be careful where you-"

Step.

Right as Skye steps over to the astronomical equipment the orientation of 'down' suddenly shifts. Where she's standing is now a wall and where the equipment is standing is now the floor. This will probably result in her getting dumped several feet into the ground.

Considering that she's exalted that probably isn't a HUGE deal but depending on how it happens it might wound her pride a little.

Once the slapstick nonsense is out of the way Skye will be able to see that a lens similar to the one Khannie brought back is installed in the telescope and currently focusing a projected image onto a piece of paper. The surface of the paper has been burned into a blackened smear due to over-exposure. If a fresh sheet were put there instead it would sear an image of whatever the telescope is pointed at.
Morty wrote: Dec 18, 2023 5:00 pm [The Ruined Observatory]

Hiep follows Skye, hopping down onto the floor when the gravity shifts. She must have got lucky or anticipated the change when she saw Skye.

"Do we have any fresh paper here? We might learn something."
[The Ruined Observatory]

In a display of potent reflexes and astonishing alacrity, Skye, upon being surprised by the gravity field, spins her legs and shifts her hips and suddenly she'll land as if it had been intentional.

She frowns at Hiep, but doesn't comment on the Janitor simply following her like that.

"I'm afraid I do not carry any with me."
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

The Lair

"If you've seen at least one predator in action I shouldn't need to show you, but you'll understand soon enough."
As it turns out Ambrosia isn't heading towards the one of the exits as far as Mary and Thariza can tell, she's heading straight for the ceiling far above. She stops some distance away from it however and turns to Mary, her mighty wings causing the nearby bookshelves to shake slightly.
"But while we're going there I'm going to show you another trick you can do. I'd like you to turn into a spirit and phase through the wall here. It's simple, have you ever told your mind to look for a certain color? It's incredibly effective and now you just need to tell your mind that you're a spirit. Unhindered by the physical world."

Thariza better brace herself as when Ambrosia shifted to her spirit-form when they entered last time it was an incredibly unpleasant experience for the poor charr on her back. It felt a bit like drowning since she could no longer breath as her body didn't actually exist for a moment.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

The Lair
Mary just looks puzzled. "I've never done that before. I can try, but..." she's probably going to hit her head on the ceiling.
She flies towards it anyway. Pass through, pass through. You're just a spirit. Pass through... she thinks.