Seaside

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Re: Seaside

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

Owena's gaze briefly flickers to Henry's tail, before realizing he said trunk, singular, and her cheeks once again light up red. It probably would've been difficult to fit anything larger than a ring in those pockets anyway.

...And that would be just a little too much too soon.

Doing her best to maintain a demure smile, Owena waits patiently for Henry to finish his thought.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.

Tags:
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

Henry's thought was pretty much done, so he just nods and starts tottering his way back to where he parked since Owena isn't adding anything. He parked in front of...
Well, it's still the Codebreaker estate, isn't it? Just because he's finally convinced Kyrie to stay doesn't make it less his. Owena, of course, has her pick of mansions to sleep at. And two of them aren't even cursed!

Henry opens the back of his adorable little two-door car and removes a carefully hand-wrapped package.
"So um. Happy Thanksmas, Owena. I'm sorry it was predicated by almost getting chewed up." Notably, Henry still has bite marks all over him as he doesn't have the full regeneration that a strigoi like Owena has. He also notably fishes out a set of shorts and a plain white shirt for himself. But he's not going to change in the street obviously. Though he's not going to invite himself inside a house that isn't his either.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

"It was predicated by my boyfriend coming to rescue me from a monster I couldn't even tell was there." Owena gently corrects, with a little smile. "I don't see anything to apologize for." She accepts the package, careful not to scuff the wrapping paper just yet; the present was undoubtedly thoughtful, but there were more urgent matters to attend to. "...Why don't you come in? We'll warm up a bit and see if we can get you something for those bites."

They probably don't have any ghost gauze or anything, but at least Owena can work a little spellcraft more readily when her fingers aren't frozen.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Bird-Hunting]

It has been a very straightforward job for Krayger thus far. Travel to a cold coastal area and hunt down a strange bird-like creature that had caused havoc across the countryside. Tracking it hasn't been easy, but certainly possible, and by now he has it cornered in a stretch of thin coniferous forest along a barren coastline.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

”I’d love to.” Henry replies with a toothy smile, hurrying inside with her.

It’s quiet inside the house, which means either Kyrie is working and Codebreaker is asleep, or the two went out for the night as well. Probably the latter, if they knew Owena had plans with Henry tonight. Henry of course immediately tries to find a bathroom to change into the shorts and sleeveless undershirt if Owena doesn’t remind him that she can’t help with those bites with them covered up.

Bird-Hunting

Well, it certainly would have been easier if Krayger was a more experienced hunter. But at least the job didn’t require actually taking a boat. He had perhaps interrogated the local woodcutter who’d requested him more than he should have. But even he had nodded when Krayger told him the last time MERC had been asked to hunt a monstrous bird it had been a fairy trick.

Allegedly, this thing was scary enough for simple wood-cutters and farmers but no giant by any stretch. It was dangerous and destructive, but not enough damage had been done that Krayger had felt the need to call Dena or Reina. But still, he made sure his phone was well charged and operable. Just in case.

Dipsnig might tell Krayger that he’s supposed to have people for this kind of work now. But Krayger needs to get out into the field at least once or twice a year. And that seems to be what Kirk and Dena do, so here he is. Hooves crunching in snow, breastplate glinting in the winter sun.

He advances on the tree line, slowly. No one knows if this thing can fly. If it can, this is all pointless. If it can’t, he might just have this thing cornered and done with on the first day of the hunt.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Keeper wrote: Jan 03, 2024 6:58 pm Butterfly Bay

”I’d love to.” Henry replies with a toothy smile, hurrying inside with her.

It’s quiet inside the house, which means either Kyrie is working and Codebreaker is asleep, or the two went out for the night as well. Probably the latter, if they knew Owena had plans with Henry tonight. Henry of course immediately tries to find a bathroom to change into the shorts and sleeveless undershirt if Owena doesn’t remind him that she can’t help with those bites with them covered up.
[Butterfly Bay]

Owena, of course, does nothing of the sort. Henry might not have a healing ability as potent as her own, but he does still have one (so far as she can tell) and it seems less likely by the second that anything will come of the bites in question. If he thinks the added modesty will be worth the prolonged healing process, she isn't going to argue with him. And if he doesn't, there isn't really anything stopping him from pulling up his shirt.

While Henry is in the bathroom getting dressed, Owena takes the opportunity to dry off with a simple cantrip and slip her robe back on, tying her belt and adjusting the collar with a few choice tugs before patiently waiting for him to emerge, at which point she sets up to start tending to what injuries are still visible, little wisps of blue flame dancing from her fingers and harmlessly along the edges of the bite wounds, meticulously stitching the flesh back together.

"...It's really a good thing my uncle and boss are out tonight." She notes as she works. "Uncle Kyrie would probably flip his lid if he saw us come back covered in bite marks."

At least it was Henry and not (for the most part) Owena. The alternative would really give him the wrong idea.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

Henry's jaw actually drops.
"Y-y-you don't think he'd actually think- anyway! Moving on."
"We should probably report that there was some sort of ghost in the water in the morning. But um. I guess we're good for now. Did you want to warm up by the fire?"
Naturally, for someone who likes being cold and wet that would be unpleasant for Henry, but there's enough brick by the fireplace that Henry can safely dump water on himself and not ruin CB's carpet.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

"Oh, no, of course not. I think he'd be more likely to draw an accurate conclusion." Owena smiles, shaking her head as she moves from one of Henry's arms to the other. "It just wouldn't be a situation he'd care for very much. You know how protective he gets."

For all the good it does.

"I'll send in the report as soon as we're done here." Owena continues. "While I doubt anybody's going to stumble on any more of them tonight, I'd... rather not be the reason that happens. You know?"

When Henry brings up the possibility of sitting by the fire, Owena's smile broadens, just a little. "...I'd like that, yeah." She says, standing up and gently dragging him toward the chairs nearer the fireplace. She's not going to let him go until she's finished patching him up, though, however long that ends up taking.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

Henry sits idly in his chair, gently kicking his feet in that slightly childish way he has sometimes. But he can't help that he got the chair sized for CB.
He waits a good five minutes for Owena to finish getting rid of the teeth marks before he pipes up.
"You know, despite the almost-mauling, I could think of much worse ways to spend an end-of-Thanksmas night than sitting by the fire with you." he tells Owena quietly, his eye-lights flicking back to the package she mostly left forgotten behind her.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Bird-Hunting]

This hunt does seem to be mercifully free of fey tricks. And Krayger's quarry doesn't seem able to fly. Not for long, at least. Some of its tracks suggest it might be capable of short glides, but nothing more prolonged.

A trail of broken branches and turn undergrowth leads the minotaur to his quarry. It's a bird-like creature with an oddly bat-like gait, leaning on powerful wings that double as forelimbs. Between the wings is a long, sinuous neck ending in a small head with a long, toothy beak and a single baleful eye. But Krayger will likely also notice something out of place - a strip of paper, attached to its belly, covered in writing and burning with blue fire.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Bird-Hunting

Krayger glares at the creature from his spot. He is not being particularly stealthy. With his metal breastplate and bulk, he isn't really capable of it to any real degree. Though he is still quieter than many would guess. He goes for his shotgun and checks that it's loaded.

For a moment, the paper throws him off. Perhaps a tag from some necromancer, which cause the creature to mutate into whatever it is now? Some binding that keeps a demon in the mortal plane? It matters little to him, as being able to see the tag on its front and the creature's eye means it can almost certainly see him. Krayger aims down the little green sight on his shotgun and fires before the creature can react to his presence and attempt to maul him to death. At this distance he can probably fire at least three times before it can close the distance.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Bird-Hunting]

The creature utters a shrieking roar as it charges Krayger. It certainly doesn't seem particularly smart. As such, his shotgun hits it squarely before it reaches him and tries to jab at him with its beak. It's bleeding, but not down for the count. The paper must have been hit, judging by the monster's wounds, but appears unharmed.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Bird-Hunting

Krayger fires once more as the bird-thing charges him and discards the gun, reaching into the air. With a thunderous crash, his polearm appears in his hand.
The thing was probably not expecting such a weapon to appear in its target's hands, and Krayger drives the spike on the end of Crow's Beak at the creature as it gets close. Its momentum might make it difficult to avoid the thrust.
Magtok
Pointy Eared Baby Devourer

Post by Magtok »

Ironsmith wrote: Dec 24, 2023 4:48 am [Butterfly Bay- Great Writers Steal]

Euphoria listens to Magtok's explanation stoically, waiting for him to finish before she turns her attention to Kate. "...Is that true?"

"...He's, um... downplaying it a bit." Kate grimaces. "But yeah. We were just filming a thing. I wasn't even on camera for any of it. I mean... my likeness was, I guess, but it's not at all like you were probably thinking."

"...Hm." Euphoria pauses a moment, before stepping out of the way of the stairs to let Magtok up and out of their house. "All right, then. Be on your way. And..." She reaches down into the grocery bag, pulling out a random item as something akin to a peace offering. "...Apologies for the trouble."
Magtok accepts the (tangelo? mandarin orange? tangerine?) small orange citrus fruit he can't quite identify, tosses it into the air with a raised eyebrow, his thumb digging into its skin when he catches the itty-bitty little thing on its way down.

"Understandable. I can't pretend I don't look incredibly suspicious at all times," the supervillain shrugs off the apology, sidling past Euphoria and dropping off the peel of that fruit in the nearest garbage can as he moves for the door.

"Oh, if you happen to see Ilpholin, tell her I said hi. She has a thing for murdering demons, and if you act like you know me, It might confuse and upset her long enough to escape with your lives. Or it could give you an opening to kill her before she kills you, whichever," The cyborg remarks on his way out. He doesn't sound like either outcome will make much of a difference to him. Really, there's no positive outcome to any of this devil business, and he's been burned by that fire too many times to stick his hand in and risk feeling any sort of way for any of the people involved. If they live, great. If they die, oh well. Same goes for Ilpholin. You can't let yourself get emotionally invested in anyone committed to a roaring rampage of revenge, or their potential victims. Better to conserve your energy and empathy for people who will still be here tomorrow.
"You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
-Daniel H. Wilson
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Bird-Hunting]

The bird-creature was indeed not expecting it. The pole-hammer does exactly what such weapons were meant to do and uses the monster's own momentum against it, driving itself deep into its flesh. The bird-thing screeches and pulls away, ripping the blade from itself, then tries to limply retreat. The prayer strip attached to it glows more brightly now and Krayger might get the impression it does the bulk of keeping it alive now.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Bird-Hunting

Krayger doesn’t take much pleasure in this part. The creature is pitiable in its last moments, as many things are. But he cannot allow it to heal and go on another rampage.
Krayger is a seven-foot tall minotaur who is not suffering horrible bleeding injuries. Keeping up with the creature is not difficult for him. He steps forward and swings the hammer. With the creature not even facing him he’s able to do what would normally be a bit risky of a windup but a very powerful overhead swing.
Let’s see that magic keep it alive without an intact skull.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Bird-Hunting]

As the creature's head cracks open and its life finally ebbs, the prayer strip detaches from its body and... floats. Its fire fades, becoming a mere ember and it hangs in the air. It looked as though it was going to float towards Krayger, but stopped.

Behind Krayger, a shape lands on a tree-branch. It's a raven of some kind, but it's not hard to see that's not all there is to it. The air around it shimmers and there's a suggestion of something greater hidden within.

"Well, well. You did your job for me, brave hunter."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Bird Hunting

”Hm. Don’t need to be an Exalt to get things done…” Krayger mutters, then starts in surprise as the tag starts floating. Yeah that’s uh, that’s not good. No one wants to deal with rogue magical artifacts and- oh there it is. Obligatory magical being.

Krayger hefts his hammer, wiping the blood from the head on the grass.
”Well, I was doing it for those woodcutters. That guy wasn’t you in disguise, was he? I thought I did an okay job looking for magical tricks.” Krayger sighs. Even as a wizard he’s out of his depth with these things. ”Or were you that crow begging for peanuts on the way here?” It was very cute. Koshal would have laughed. But he points to the tag, which seems like the bigger priority here.
”Is that thing there yours? I was only hired to stop the creature, so if it is feel free to take it.”
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Bird-Hunting]

"It was stolen from me." The bird's eyes bore into Krayger, their expression unreadable. "An enemy of mine sent this creature to seize it. I believe it may have veered off-course. But did you say 'Exalt', hunter? I wasn't aware they were known in these lands. I've strayed far from home."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Bird-Hunting

Krayger turns to the raven. He takes a step away from the floating tag to make sure it's clear he's not claiming it.
"In that case, feel free to reclaim your property." Krayger hesitates. Would Askeladd want him to keep his secret, even from people from his homeworld?

"Yes, I am acquainted with an Exalt. You must forgive me if I leave it at that. He enjoys his privacy." He says at last. Hopefully that is sufficient for whatever this is.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Bird-Hunting]

"A reclusive Exalt who prefers privacy... and that would explain why a bull-man would smell of moose. How curious. I feared him dead." The bird-god's head tilts this way and that as they prance from one leg to the other. "You did well to free my blessing from this unfortunate creature... but I think you can take far better care of it than I can."

The prayer strip suddenly surges towards Krayger, attaches itself to his horns and will proceed to turn him into a raven himself. The Crow's Beak will, ironically perhaps, shift along with him until it becomes small enough for a raven to carry.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Bird, Hunting

On the plus side, the change is so quick and painless that Krayger needs a moment to even perceive what happened. One moment there's a burning paper flying in his face and the next the world is ten times bigger.

Two feathers on the sides of the raven's head immediately stick up and stay there. The polearm drops from his beak and fizzles out of existence in a burst of sparks.
"You bastard." caws Krayger, tilting his head and shifting his footing exactly the same way.
"Why do- you people- just do what- you want?" It seems he's having just a tiny bit of trouble talking with a beak and such tiny lungs. He's not a fan of how he sounds like, well, what a talking bird often sounds like.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Bird-Hunting]

"You people?" The raven-god settles down on the branch, fluffing their feathers. "Am I not the first god you've met? Perhaps you are more prepared to the trouble Exalted attract than it seems. But I wish you no harm. And I can prove it by showing you how to return to your bigger and spikier shape."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Bird-Hunting

"I have met- a few fey. Close enough. Always toying- with mortals." Well, two fey used him. A third bumped into him randomly and was rather apologetic about her nature putting him in danger. But then she also attempted to get close to him in a manner that was kind of creepy.
"Right. Did kiss Latrans- though." That did absolutely happen.

Krayger raises his wings and pushes, and finds himself on the same branch. It turns out the blessing comes with the knowledge of how to fly. It also comes with a tendency to get distracted by shiny things and old meat, and a slight push towards being deferential to the god of the animal he currently is but that's a small price to pay for flight, isn't it?
"You want to- be helpful? Start now."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Bird-Hunting]

"And yet here you are. That proves you resourceful. A good sign." The god doesn't elaborate on why it's so important. "Oh, but I quite forgot my manners. I am called Havsken, the raven-god of the crossroads. And you seem to be getting used to this shape quicker than I expected. It has been... some time since I bestowed this blessing."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Bird-Hunting

"Fine. Call me- Krayger." He bobs his head in a little bow instinctively, then looks a little confused about it.
"Long time? Is it so-special?" But the blessing thrums in his being. Of course he knows it is special. By definition he is a magic raven. Long ago people would see his deeds and know he was an omen, a sign of the favor of the Guardian of the Crossroads. Or not. There's nothing outwardly too special about him so being subtle is not difficult either.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

Keeper wrote: Dec 17, 2023 7:25 pm Port Valdez - Cave

Henry shrugs.
”We could look around in here in case someone buried something with all this trash? But I dunno, the treasure isn’t worth much to me. This was more for fun.”
But of course most people don’t have more money than they know what to do with like Henry.

[Port Valdez – Cave]

June shrugs back, "Yeah i was here more for the adventure than for any potential treasure, anyway. I mean, mostly just because my life's been pretty boring so far with, like, two or three momentary exceptions."

June, unlike Henry, isn't wealthy.

She gets up and slithers towards the way out. She easily gets up the short ledge, and waits at the top to help Henry up in case he wants help. "Well, actually the real reason I wanted to go on an adventure is because some barmaid told me she had met a handful of evil mirror-universe versions of me, and they were going on all kinds of adventures and doing all sorts of fun things, and I wanted to see what I was missing out on."

With her top set of arms, she shrugs. "I mean, yeah this was fun but it's not something I'd want to do every day."
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Fortress Bay]

Everyone likes little picturesque seaside towns. Especially when they're perched atop basalt crags with a tiny little harbor nestled in an old collapsed lava chamber with an old lighthouse at the end of the point. It's just the ideal sort of tiny seaside town. The sort of sleepy community that heads out early to catch shrimp and commune with the ever present whales who ALSO like the shrimp. This certainly isn't the sort of place that you might expect to find trouble.

But trouble has found its way here today.

It started with the storm rolling in.

There was something uncanny about those clouds. The color of them wasn't quite right. Something off about the texture, too. There was a foul smell in the air, like exposed bay mud and stagnant pond water. The old sailors made signs and took oaths, leery of the strange weather. They knew the sky and the sea, and this was surely an ill omen.

When the rain finally began to fall it stank. Not the cold and clear water of a winter storm, but hot and soupy and leaving green smears of algae everywhere. The people huddled into their homes with intent of waiting out the unholy weather, but that was two days ago and they have begun to grow restless. Calls have been sent out for aid, but...

What could adventurers possibly do to heal the weather?
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Fortress Bay]

Lady Iseul Sahn would never claim to be an adventurer as her business here in this picturesque town was none of the sort.

No, she was here for business alone and was not aware of any calls for aid. Since why would she be?

But as she steps out of her mechanical carriage as she arrives at the town and gaze up at the clouds she had seen long before the town ever came into view she can only confirm that it wasn't just her imagination. These were not normal clouds and this was not normal weather even for a coastal town.

Then again, perhaps it was? The nexus was a strange place after all. But whatever it was, it might just effect her plans here so it was best to find out more about it. Preferably with the book shop owner she was intending to do business with.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by [brackets lover] »

[Fortress Bay]

A tall, slender man with green hair and a long green beard approached the village. He wore stock wizard robes, yet no hat, and had dark-shaded sunglasses. Accompanying him to the side was a husky, Jon, similarly dressed save for the fact he was wearing a hat.

The man and dog immediately searched for the most noteworthy building in the village, seeking out the mayor.