Riverside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Re: Riverside

Post by [brackets lover] »

[Charity Dinner]

Mogzoku blankly stares at Braon. "We met in a bar, kupo," he says plainly. "Now, when you say you've never heard of me, do you mean like 'she's being scretive about me' or like 'she doesn't go out of her way to mention me', kupo?" he asks self-consciously.

Tags:
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Charity Dinner]

"...How the hell would I know that?" Braon asks with an exasperated groan. "She didn't tell me about you. Exactly how does that lead to her telling me why she didn't tell me about you?"

Honestly.

...Poor guy's clearly getting a little hurt, though. It's really going to put a damper on her night if she makes a bunny cry.

"...I'm sure it wasn't a big deal." She adds, her tone softening a little. "It's not like I go out of my way to ask her if there's any new adorable little fuzzbutts in her life."

There. That should patch things up.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Charity Dinner]

Mogzoku shrugs. "Huh, I thought women knew everything about each other, kupo," he remarks, sounding a little surprised. "So, how do you know her, by the way?"
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

Charity Dinner
Two people are standing near the prize display, examining the offerings. One is a human, male, in a crisp grey suit and blue tie. His brown hair is cropped short and slightly touseled. The other is a nine-tailed foxgirl in a slinky red dress and a pair of very high heels, her wavy auburn hair hanging loose over her shoulders.
"Corset of shape enhancement?"
"We both know you don't need it," It's true, she's quite voluptuous already.
"That doesn't mean I'm not curious. If it could be reverse-engineered, it might be useful."
"It's probably magic. Besides, I would've expected you to have your heart set on those shoes,"
"Right. Magic." the foxgirl's voice drips with acid. "The shoes are nice," she admits.

"I think she overestimates the value of her company," the man comments, "Maybe she means priceless in a 'this is something money can't buy' way?"

"What do you think? Buy our tickets, split up to see the party, and meet back up for dinner and the drawing?"
"Sounds fine to me," the fox replies, "We'll cover more ground that way."
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

Arkhosia wrote: Jan 25, 2024 10:11 pm [Bird Watching]

Dulcinea has to clamp down on a laugh, causing her to prod Reilana and give her a playful, chiding look. Doesn't she know that could've given their position away? She turns to her quarry and quietly inches her chair forward, getting into position. The plastic lid for her soda comes off with a quiet snap.

"What? Oh, yeah. It's like, pretty intense." Skyla suppresses a flare of annoyance at Atsede's interruption. Geez, did this girl ever stop talking? Then she glances back, catching Dulcinea getting into position. Hold on, she can use this. "Whaddaya think so far? The animation's really pretty."
[Bird Watching]

Reilana leans back in her chair, her hand disguising a smirk behind her fingers. This ought to be good. She was here for a show after all; time to get her money's worth.
~Images by Soushiyo
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[brackets lover] wrote: Jan 26, 2024 10:09 pm [Charity Dinner]

Mogzoku shrugs. "Huh, I thought women knew everything about each other, kupo," he remarks, sounding a little surprised. "So, how do you know her, by the way?"
[Charity Dinner]

"Oh, yes, we form telepathic bonds while we paint each other's toes at our weekly sleepovers." Braon deadpans, arms crossed. "You know, the ones that end with pillow fight tournaments, experimental kissing and possibly a human sacrifice to our dark lords below."

You know. Just girl things.

"...We didn't really officially meet at any point." Braon continues, trying to spin a thread that won't backfire on her if called on it. "We just noticed we kept turning up in the same places with the same people and just sort of hit it off from there."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

Charity Dinner

It's certainly true that Atya is extremely busy tonight- even more than free food, personally meeting with as many guests as possible is the best way to ensure she sticks in their minds as a good candidate. But regardless of the crowds, the one person she'll always have time for is Reinholdt. The moment she sees him she hurries over with a smile, giving him an appreciative once over upon noticing the tuxedo. The only way he could look better is if he wasn't wearing it.

"I do love the phoenix painting," she admits, giving him a peck on the cheek, "But giving away something I love is a very powerful feeling, and I wanted to experience it again." Which wouldn't make much sense to many other people, but he'll understand.

"And you should know that charity is something I care a lot about. After all, I grew up with nothing- the least I can do is help people in the same situation." She leans in to whisper "And it's not like the money is mine anyway." The event would certainly seem less flattering if people knew that it was funded by stolen wealth, but then again, a lot of political events are.

As the door opens to let in more people, she immediately turns to give them a picture perfect smile and wave. "Thanks for coming tonight, by the way," she says as an aside, "I hope it's not too boring, but I can pay you back later." In a very tasteful manner, surely.

Not everyone is having a good time tonight. In fact, Gregory the coat clerk is having a pretty awful night, and the gnome is in a sour mood. And it's made worse by Braon and Mogzoku conversing in front of him. Right in front of his coat check! With an unchecked coat!

"Umm. Ma'am," he drawls, interrupting the two by leaning over the counter to beckon with one crooked finger, "You get a ticket so there's no mix ups. If I let you go in wearing that, you'll be sure to knock over someone's plate. It's a hazard. I promise your cloak will be well cared for here." He draws himself up to his full three foot four inches and tries to give off an air of officious competence.

This is undercut by the fact that his eyes keep glancing down at Mogzoku, then over to the "no pets allowed" sign. To his credit, he's not saying anything. But he really wants to.

And over by the raffle table, Jade and Jason are conversing the relative merits of corsets and Atya's company, which is surely the most valuable thing available here, regardless of their doubts. But it seems that someone was eavesdropping, as the drow nobleman perusing the table interjects with an apologetic bow.

"You'll have to forgive me, but I couldn't help but overhear your conversation. The corset is indeed magic as far as I can tell- a simple transmuting effect." Perhaps illusion magic would work just as well, but this is the real deal.

"But, and this is what's drawn my curiosity, you seem to have a peculiar distaste for magic, and I was wondering if there was a particular reason for that? I ask for purely academic reasons." He gives a polite little smile. It's hard to tell with elves, but the faint lines in his face seem to indicate that he's fairly old, and he leans on a curve handled cane. His green velvet suit is immaculately tailored.
horses can attack and eat me
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Charity Dinner]

Mogzoku looks a bit shocked as coat clerk was suddenly there all along, his body kinda jerking back a bit. "My apologies, kupo," he says, feigning politeness to the clerk, "I had not intended to obstruct your duties with idle banter. Carry on, my good sir."

With that being said, he floats upwards and then flutters past the coat check, waiting nearby for Braon to get through it. "Hmm, disguising myself as a woman probably wouldn't go over so well with those telepathic links and what not. But if I had someone on the inside, maybe...?"
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Charity Dinner]

"Yeah, that makes sense," Reinholdt admits as he wraps a hand around Atya's hip for a moment, just to hold her. "I shall have to be careful not to get too far on your good side then. Maybe I'll borrow your flamethrower some time and change all the settings without changing it back." Ah yes, annoying a person you're in a relationship with to avoid them giving you away some day. Rein actually has experience in this area.

"How boring things are remain to be seen though. Admittedly, it's been awhile since I've hob-nobbed. Maybe a couple of Thanksmases ago? I shall have to see how much it's like riding the village bicycle." Gotta shake the rust off and mingle. "Errr... what I mean is I expect a very thorough compensation." Especially if he doesn't win any of the raffles! Gambling for treasure is the best part of these dinners.

Reinholdt gives her a light pinch to emphasize his point before releasing her from his grasp. "Go go. I promise not to get into any trouble you can't get in on."
► SHOW SPOILER
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Charity Dinner]

Braon makes an internal note; apparently, bunnies don't understand the concept of sarcasm.

"Oh, it's a hazard." Braon gives an affected scoff. "Well why didn't you just say so? I'll just go ahead and leave it here then." She unclasps the cloak and tosses it over the counter toward the gname.

...Where it then proceeds to wrap around either his arm or head, depending on which is closer, and proceed to repeatedly smack the same into the counter, the cloak itself cushioning against any real damage but providing what would undoubtedly be an unpleasant experience.

"Oh, yeah, did I forget to mention it's enchanted?" Braon asks airily. "Doesn't like being separated from me for too long. Ah, I'm sure that won't be a problem, though. You look like you've been well-trained on handling that kind of thing."
Last edited by Ironsmith on Jan 27, 2024 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Charity Dinner
Both Jade and Jason turn. "Don't get her started," Jason warns, "She and magic have a history."
"Magic is untestable, unreliable, and unscientific!" Jade reprimands. "It's...!"
Jason puts a hand on his sister's shoulder and turns her to face him.
"Let's not make a scene, okay? Calm down."
"... Right. Just enjoy the party. Sorry to disturb you," Jade manages to say to the elderly drow.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Charity Dinner

Atya sticks her tongue out at Reinholdt's flamethrower comment. "Silly, I said something I love, like a necklace. I'd never give away someone I love."

Wait. Did she intend the implication there? Chuckling nervously, she quickly changes the subject. "Ehhh yes, hob nobbing. You're charming, you'll do fine. Put in a good word for me if anyone asks, and I'll be sure to make it worth your while." She bites her lip before a commotion by the door draws her gaze away.

"Oh, speaking of trouble," she mutters, giving his hand a squeeze before slipping away into the crowd.

Said trouble is Gregory, who's wrapped in Braon's cloak while Mogzoku looks on. The hapless gnome's head is bouncing off the desk while he squawks muffled obscenities and waves his arms wildly. A few onlookers observe with a mixture of amusement and alarm.

"Geddit off me! The outrage, the absolutely insolence! Unhand me at once you-" Whatever he's calling Braon is caught off as Atya glides between them, looking disapprovingly at the coat checker.

"Oh dear, is there an issue here? Gregory, I told you to be polite," she scolds the trapped gnome. Ignoring his thrashings, she turns back to Braon with a disarming smile.

"My apologies, so hard to find reliable staff these days. You're of course welcome to wear your cloak, and how fetching it is too." She jerks her head towards the gnome. "But if you could release him I'd appreciate it."

Then, catching sight of Mogzoku, she beams. "Goemog! So glad you could make it. Reinholdt's... somewhere about, if you're looking for a reunion." She glances distractedly across the dining hall.

Elsewhere, the drow man waves off Jade's apology. "Oh, it's no bother- I'm just too nosy for my own good. Although I'd venture to say that for all its fault, magic is certainly testable." He seems rather amused by the outburst, and his eyes flick down to the foxgirl's tails.

"The reason I found it odd is that the people who I usually see being critical of magic are humans. And unless I'm mistaken, you're an inherently magical creature. So... you see where my confusion arises." He holds up a hand, smiling. "But I certainly understand not wishing to discuss something so clearly discomforting to you."
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Charity Dinner]

Mogzoku returns the smile at Atya, slightly frowning at the sound of Reinholdt's name. "Hey, Atya. I'll... think about it," he greets cautiously. In truth, he still holds a little bit of resentment towards Reinholdt for 'stealing' Atya.

"Won't it be harmful to your reputation if people knew you were buddy-buddy with the infamous Goemog? Or did I put on this disguise for nothing?" he asks light-heartedly.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Charity Dinner]

A perhaps unexpected guest approaches. She seems to be a woman of moderate height but a palpable noble bearing. She cuts a bountiful, regal figure accentuated by a modest but form-fitting dress. Oddly enough, the dress looks anything but expensive - it's old, worn and tattered.

Her skin is grey and her ears are pointed; a mane of silky black hair falls well below her waist. Her eyes are solid black and when she opens her mouth, rows of sharp teeth are revealed. Her hands end in blackened claws, as do her feet, as she's come barefoot. She will be announced as the Queen Under the Mountain, a fey ruler from far away.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Charity Dinner
Jade half scowls at the question. She has a reason, of course, but it's personal. She starts to open her mouth, but...
"Remember, let's not make a scene?"
"... Right." Jade's expression brightens just a little. "I don't want to talk about it, but you have most of the clues you need already. You can figure it out."
If the drow can figure out that Jade and Jason are siblings, that would make the deduction much easier.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Charity Dinner]

"Hey, you were the one who insisted." Braon smirks, as the cloak unwraps itself from the gnome and drapes itself over her back.

Her smile fades quickly with the addition of a third party, however. Who exactly is this elf lady?

...With her luck, probably the host she claimed to know. At the very least she's someone with authority here and Braon has to be careful with how she proceeds. She needs to sound familiar enough to fool Mogzoku but not so familiar as to offend the elf. It would be a delicate balance.

...Time for shameless flattery?

Time for shameless flattery.

"And speaking of fetching..." Braon's smirk returns. "Look at you, pulling out all the stops tonight." There's an appreciative lilt to her voice as she takes a step back and to one side of Atya, her gaze trailing up and down the whole way. "Looking good, Atya. Comes with living right, yeah?"

...Wait a minute.

"...Did you say Reinholdt was here?" She asks, rubbing her thumb against her chin contemplatively. She knows she knows that name. It's tickling something in the back of her brain. He's supposed to be some kind of celebrity around here, right? Or something like that. The man has a reputation, but for what, she can't remember just now.

Hm. She's sure it'll come to her. And in the meantime, she can probably milk Atya for more information. Or at least get off the subject of their initial meeting if she misgauged how useful the flattery would be.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Crash Site]

All approaching will find the ship-beast crashed on its side, the wings on its left flank crushed into the ground, the wings on its right protruding high into the air. They wave like tattered banners, ten stories high and forged from shiny waxen cuticle, dark veins traced through them like the branches of a winter-shorn tree. The top deck, for indeed there was one carved into the shell of the monster's back, is now entirely vertical. It's spilled supplies and lives onto the ground, a scattering of curiously twisted humans strewn for hundreds of yards behind the wreck. The beast is all aflame now, smoke and fire belching from closed sections of the dying creature.

Jade

While the top deck is no longer fully viable, there are holes aplenty for Jade to gain entry with. Something terrible has happened here. Various humans - caramel skinned, dark haired mostly, men and women both - lie slain by various means throughout this valve along the vessel's flank. Many of them are oddly tall, their fingers overlong, their necks stretched and spines distended... and a few have small, wilted looking extra limbs of an oddly pink-and-orange fleshy substance protruding from their backs. Fewer in number but just as strange are the other manner of bodies - humanoids enclosed in oily black armor that seems to suck in light, save for ridges of ruby chitin along the waist, dappling the shoulders, and limning the throat. The oil-armor is all-encompassing, distorting their faces into hideous monster-skulls, obviously designed to inspire terror in the foe. All those wearing the oil-armor have strange weapons nearby - something resembling a gun or very advanced crossbow that leaks an acrid purple smoke. Most of those in the oil armor have pointed antlers protruding from their heads.

The bodies lie facedown on the floor, up against the walls, hanging in and out of door-valves along the bony walls. It almost seems that everyone here is dead... but at Jade's call, one of the men in oil armor coughs and rolls his head, groaning. A peppering of hefty shrapnel has penetrated his chest.

"Who...?"

Olympia

From her farther vantage, Olympia can see that the exterior of the site seems mostly lifeless. It would be motionless, too, save for the burning debris, the twitch of the beast's remaining wings, and the occasional falling pine tree. The pines have taken quite the hit here, scattered like bowling pins or licked by oily flame. A few bodies remain close to the ship's final resting place. Pieces of hefty chitin are scattered all around, the color of orange and lemon peels. But then...

One of the bodies twitches.

It looks like a very tall person, lying near the head of the beast. They shift, bending one limb beneath them with a crack, then another, joints realigning, organs reconstituting. The person heaves upright, groaning, holding one arm and then jerking it back into its proper position.

The person lifts their head and blinks. Looking around.

It seems like a woman. She has a slim hourglass figure, a spare frame, a lithe natural grace not totally stolen by her state of injury. But she's also tall. Nearly eight feet tall. She wears the ragged remains of a leather vest, leather trousers, and little else. She appears utterly hairless - every inch of her skin is covered in sections of purple chitin that fit together like a curious puzzle. Her eyes possess a dozen facets each - and each facet has a tiny human iris and pupil in it. She closes a pair of secondary eyelids over these, hiding them, making her eyes resemble solid, slick blue orbs. The back of her scalp tapers to a slight, lifted point. For all this strangeness, she has human-shaped features, the curve of a feminine nose, full lips the color of chilled blueberries. Her fibrous skin looks quite flexible - easily able to twitch into an expression of rage and pain as she assesses the downed ship. She bends double and grasps her knees, still panting from exertion and agony.

Doctors Bu and Khafir

The good doctors might spot the same woman that Olympia does, near the beast's head - or they might be on the other side when they see a section of armored exoskeleton give way - "Push!" someone cries - and a host of humans in ragged sleeveless white tunics and trousers spill from the newly formed hole. They look filthy, bloody and soot stained, their feet weathered and unshod, and with a panic they start to scatter into the woods.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Crash Site]

Seeing the ship from a distance made it kinda hard to really grasp just how stupidly BIG this thing is.

Like...

Stupidly MASSIVE big.

Like this thing is a flying mountain for gosh sakes. And now it's laying on the ground like a swatted fly, filling the air with smoke and ashes. And it was... full of people? Like it wasn't just a bug. It was a spaceship bug. Or something like that. People that mostly look dead.

Heck.

It's like a city blew up or something.

This scale of death it's just...

It's mind boggling is what it is.

No time to dwell on people she can't help, though. Olympia needs to focus on those who are still alive. She's always got first aid stuff with her because while punching villains is all well and fine what's MORE important is saving people. And having the equipment for that is a corner-stone of any serious cape's kit.

Olympia starts toward the bodies to check for survivors when all of a sudden one of 'em snaps upright and starts regenerating or something? Okay sure that one's probably fine.

"HEY!" Olympia calls out. "Are you okay to walk? I've got stuff for first aid I need you to help me find survivors."

First rule of an emergency? Take charge so people don't just stand around gawking.

Though the huge lady might be put off by the five three human teen in an ostentatious outfit yelling orders are her. That just comes with the Magical Girl territory.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Crash Site
Jade's tails fluff up beneath her armor in surprise at the wounded man speaking, but that only lasts a moment.
"Not a foe. Hold on, let me see what I can do."
Her shield flickers out and she bends over the wounded man.
He looks pretty badly torn up. She has bandages and antiseptic, but she'll need a tool to extract the shrapnel. She extends her right hand and flicks through suit settings until she finds what she's looking for. A hard light projection of a pair of forceps appears between her fingers. "This will hurt, but I need to get these out of you." She prepares to start yanking the debris free and spraying the injuries with antiseptic
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Charity Dinner

Oblivious to Mogzoku's jealousy, Atya squints at him for a moment. Disguise? Oh, the sunglasses!

"Oh, I didn't understand that you were here incognito. Well, nice to meet you stranger!" she says with a grin, "I hope you enjoy my little party and remember to #voteatya come election day." This is followed with a wink. She's pretty sure Mogzoku doesn't even live in Riverside, but of course, the point is to not admit she knows him.

Gregory takes a deep breath as the cloak is removed, brushing himself off and straightening his glasses officiously. He carefully avoids looking at Braon, clearly having learned his lesson from the ordeal. Don't mess with devil women unless you're prepared for them to mess with you in return.

Speaking of, Atya turns to Braon, arching a shapely eyebrow at the rather flirtatious compliments. Does this lady know her? She wracks her brain, sorting through the many campaign donors and aristocrats she's spent time around, but she's blanking. Oh god, she's not an ex is she? There's no way she can admit having forgotten her, so the best plan is to play along and try to figure out her name without directly asking.

"Always such a flatterer," she says, raising a hand coyly to her chin, "And may I say you're looking absolutely lovely yourself, as usual." There, that's a plausible thing to say.

But then her smile twitches. There's no way someone would know both her and Reinholdt, right? Aside from Mogzoku, she's never met any of his friends to her knowledge. A coincidence? Is she overthinking this?

"Yes, Rein's around. I was just talking with him." She leans forward slightly. "I didn't know you two knew each other. Small world, huh?"

By the prize table, the drow nods slowly. It's not hard to figure out that Jade and Jason are related, but there's some undeniable differences between them. Some sort of magical cloning effect, and some residual trauma related to it, he's guessing.

"Well, if you'd rather not talk about it, I will respect that. But I would also point out that there any many things that are unscientific and unreliable, but still wonderful." He smiles, but his voice is solemn. "Like love, and beauty, and kindness. Perhaps magic is of the same ilk."

Dipping his head in a bow, he steps back. "But that is, of course, for you to decide."

Meanwhile, the Queen's appearance causes a bit of a stir. Between the black eyes and teeth, her appearance is a little intimidating- and the fey are never the safest of individuals. But there's interest as well- it's not every day you see a queen, fey or no.

But someone who doesn't seem remotely frightened is the magician who's been entertaining guests. A short figure dressed in a glittering black suit, he wears a golden mask over his face, resembling the classic comedic masquerade figure. Popping up beside her, he lifts a hand dramatically, causing a deck of cards to fly upwards one by one into his palm as if their gravity has been reversed.

"Would her majesty like to see a trick? She must have some tricks of her own, no doubt, so she must be hard to impress, no doubt," comes a slightly echoing voice from behind the mask. A wisp of magic brushes faintly over her- a subtle attempt to determine if she's covered in illusion or glamer.

Xar'cha Estate

Nathair has been busy. His second mission is an important one, and failing is not an option. However, as the three identical Nathairs coalesce over the now familiar estate, he reflects that he's perhaps gone a little overboard. Perhaps acquiring three objects when he was sent for one will come off as trying too hard.

But Nathair is trying hard. He can't imagine doing anything less. And since he's found himself perfectly capable of splitting his attention between multiple bodies, he hasn't even taken any longer than if he had simple gone for one item. So hopefully this is going to go very, very well.

Forming three oaken treasure chests out of his swarm, the phyrexian walks through the estate corridors with his offerings floating behind him. Now that he knows the way to Ilpholin's chambers, he has no need to frantically search the place top to bottom. A short ride in the elevator and he's standing outside the door.

He hesitates for just a moment. After everything he's done and become, it's a wonder that such a simple thing can still make him nervous. Shaking his head, he knocks on the door three times.

"Are you in, Mistress Ilpholin? I have returned with what you sent me for," he calls softly in.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Charity Dinner]

"I'm sure you will," Reinholdt says. Atya has a way to make a lot of things worthwhile. "Wait, someone you-" Oh no Atya's leaving! Feline expletives!

Well, whatever it was, it probably wasn't important and Reinholdt certainly won't ruminate on it all evening forever and-oh!

"Sorry, so sorry!" Rein was so distracted he didn't even notice the Queen Under the Mountain until having full bumped into her. Hopefully not ruining the magician's carefully crafted magic trick. He takes a moment to realize she was dressed in something both poor and rich looking at the same time. Some sort of statement? A love of irony perhaps?

"Your majesty, correct? A pleasure to meet you. The reputation of your beauty doesn't compare to the stunning figure that is the real thing." Reinholdt gives a polite and appropriately deep bow for the presence of royalty that may have accidentally been offended.

[Xar'cha Estate]

There's a moment before the reply comes, short and simple. "Enter."

Within the dimmed room, Nathair will see Ilpholin's back first. The majority of it bare, with simple purple lingerie being worn and a single out of place choker around her neck. She sits before the mirror at the vanity, her hair long and black, pushed to one side. Then the other, before being released to naturally linger behind her once more. Cold blue eyes, icy in the white sclera, steadily return to green and black fills in from all sides once more. The hair becomes thicker and resumes existing in Ilpholin's natural colors. A tattoo of a rose taking up the entirety of her shoulder stays for the time being.

"I can't say I expected you back so swiftly," Ilpholin says without turning around, watching the changes in her own reflection.
► SHOW SPOILER
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Crash Site]

"...Fascinating." Khafir says quietly as they approach the ship-beast. "I did not realize I was watching an organic being. The implications are rather significant, if a creature of this size was able to survive off minimal oxygen and potentially in deep space itself."

"Um... Doctor." Eun begins, watching the refugees fleeing the ship. "Shouldn't we be helping them?"

"I would worry more about containment." Khafir replies evenly. "We don't know what sort of pathogens they may be carrying or what their intentions are. Unfortunately, we do not have the resources here with us to set up an effective quarantine."

Eun tenses, drawing her hands into her body as though suddenly afraid to touch anything. "...Fair." She grimaces. "Give me a second..." She steps back and reaches into thr chrome box on her hip, producing a pair of face masks, the latter of which she hands to her colleague.

"...That will not be adequate." Khafir points out.

"I know, I know, but I need longer to print out full-on hazmat suits and this'll have to do for the moment." Eun grimaces. "We're not getting any closer to that thing until I do, right?"

"Of course not. I can examine it from here." Khafir explains, doing just that, focusing her farsight on the cavity through which the refugees escaped and looking around the interior as best she can.

[Charity Dinner]

Braon's eyebrows rise as Atya returns the flattery. "As usual"? What's she talking about? They've never m-

Wait. Have they? Because she's starting to look a little familiar. And it's not like Braon doesn't have a long list of her own exes (if one-night-stand participants count as such). She does have to admit, this woman is hot and if the two ever met in a bar in a less-than-sober state she would definitely have tried her luck.

...Crap. The bunny said he met the host in a bar. Maybe the two have... "met".

Great. Just when she thought the situation couldn't get more awkward.

Fortunately, there's a third party they can talk about, which should hopefully ease the tension.

"Oh, yeah. Rein and I are pretty close." She says with a little shrug. "I guess it shouldn't be surprising to run into him here. Lots of good food and pretty girls. It sounds like his sort of scene, all right."

...Why does she feel the need to keep doing that? At least she's feeling a little more confident about that assertion.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Charity Dinner]

"Yes, it was a pleasure meeting you, Mrs. Atya," says Mogzoku, smiling in response to Atya's wink. He turns to Braon, continuing, "And you as well, er- I'm terribly sorry, but I don't believe I caught your name, kupo."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Charity Dinner]

"True on both counts," the Queen replies. Her voice is deep, melodious and enchanting. She speaks quietly, but is easily heard. There's no illusion or glamer, but there is a definite impression her appearance is a mask of some kind. Something is hiding beneath, like catching a glimpse of something dark in deep waters - the sure knowledge of the vastness beyond. "But I do welcome attempts to surprise me."

When Reinholdt bumps into her, she smiles with a disarming indulgence... but the smile does show the sharp teeth behind her lips.

"I thank you. I wasn't aware my reputation has preceded me, but I'm pleased to find myself in the presence of someone with courtly manners."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Charity Dinner
"Art can't burn people to cinders," Jade snaps, but she lets the gentleelf back out of the conversation.
"You really need to loosen up about that. Especially when you've got a chance to win a magical artifact in the raffle. It wouldn't look good for you to have an outburst on stage."
"If I win magic anything, I'm doing everything in my power to take it apart and see how it works. But I really want the shoes."
"If you won the corset, would you wear it before disassembling it?"
"Probably. Get some friends to wear it and compare results." Is it relative to the wearer's current proportions, or does it have a set template? Does it change other body parts, or just the torso? If a man wore it, what would happen? These are important questions to answer before reverse-engineering.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Charity Dinner

At Braon's elaboration on Reinholdt, Atya smiles, a little too broadly. Although Braon has no way of knowing it, this is most certainly not going to ease the tension.

"Oh, you two are close? Very cool." No need to get worried. There's plenty of ways of being close to someone, and there's plenty of Reinholdts. She might not be talking about the one Atya knows. But one of her long pointed ears twitches.

"Definitely his scene, although I think he's mainly here because of me. If you don't mind my asking, how long have you known Rein? Just, you know, curious." The since he's never mentioned you goes unspoken. Atya is not a jealous person by nature, but she is someone who wants to know things, and it's the not knowing that's killing her.

But something about this is a lie, she knows that much. There's no way someone that familiar with her is also close with Reinholdt, it's too much of a coincidence. This lady only knows one of them, she's decided. But which one?

She breathes a tiny sigh of relief when Mogzoku asks for the lady's name. Now she gets to hear it, without ever admitting she doesn't already know. Patience really is a virtue. She doesn't even correct him that the proper form of address for her would be Ms. Xilo. He might not even know her last name.

When Reinholdt bumps into the Queen, the magician takes a step back, observing the two of them. He's not supposed to interrupt guest's conversation, but, well. She did ask to be surprised.

"A trick, for the lady and the gentleman," he proclaims, holding out one hand. A chicken's egg sits in his palm. With a wave of his other hand, the egg hatches, the shell splitting to reveal what appears to be the animate skeleton of a mouse. It coughs, and then speaks in a tiny voice.

"Beware! Your king is in terrible danger. Even now a plot is-" With another wave, the mouse's skull splits open, and a rose grows out of it. This he plucks, and offers to the Queen with a bow. If she accepts it, he laughs and darts away into the crowd.

Xar'cha Estate

Entering the room, Nathair's breath catches as his eye alight upon Ilpholin. He's entranced, unable to turn away from her shifting reflection. It's like looking at a hurricane, or a great glacier- a force of nature whose beauty and deadliness are one and the same. All the difficulties of his quest are forgotten in an instant.

"The oil has blessed me more than I realized. With its help, I will always do my very best to exceed your expectations, Mistress," he says, bowing deeply. The treasure chests float forward, gliding soundlessly down to rest on the floor.

"You sent me to acquire a gift. I return with three. Hopefully at least one will be worthy of a god, if not worthy of you."
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Charity Dinner]

Reinholdt's eyes certainly flick to the Queen's teeth, but Rein does not seem dissuaded, only spurned. "But of course, how could word not get out of your incredible beauty? Why it may actually be a crime against nature that your kingdom is squirreled away under a mountain so far from here, if solely for keeping you all to themselves. A queen is still a woman, is she not?" Reinholdt gives the Queen Under the Mountain a shameless smile before turning his attention to the magic trick being performed.

A gruesome one indeed. There's a light grimace in Rein's face, but he politely claps the completion of the trick, even as the performer darts away. One can only wonder where they keep those skeletal mice.

[Xar'cha Estate]

"Hopefully? You're uncertain?" Ilpholin stands slowly, drawing up to her full slender height as she turns around to face Nathair. "That bodes poorly for a gift that's supposed to be worthy of a god. Though I suppose certainty would be viewed as hubris and disqualifying by its own merit." Gods tend to be fickle that way. Even if the gift is objectively valuable, the mindset of the giver can matter more.

The nearly nude nymph slowly scans Nathair's bare chests. "Well? Open them," Ilpholin commands.
► SHOW SPOILER
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Charity Dinner]

...Right.

No way in hell is she attaching her real name to this. If there's one thing she doesn't need from tonight, it's consequences.

"It's Mhearai. Mhearai of Dis." She replies smoothly, recalling the pseudonym she uses while working for Sekhmet. It wouldn't be much of a stretch to apply it here; people were likely to assume she was some kind of hellish noble anyway, might as well lean into the image. She's not going to use the family name itself, though; for all she knows Sekhmet herself is already here, and that's a good way to draw too much compromising attention to herself.

It's not like she has any shortage of that already.

"Mhearai" carefully examines Atya's expression, almost immediately recognizing the skepticism in the question. She literally played that same card less than five minutes ago, after all. Atya's probing her for information she doesn't really have.

Which is just... just lovely.

"Oh, you know. Long enough." She replies evasively. "Haven't spoken with him in a while myself, though. I like the guy but it's easy to overdose on him, you know?"

There. That sounds like a reasonably safe answer. Atya did just confirm him to be a little bit of a player, after all. The womanizing and empty compliments had to wear thin after a while, right? Or at least it would be reasonable for her to think so.

"...Why don't we go and sit down for a moment?" "Mhearai" continues. "I don't know about you, but I'd rather catch up over a plate of food and comfortably seated than standing out in the lobby."

There's no telling how much longer she'll be able to hold up this conversation, but it's been a minute now and she'll be damned if she's not going to at least get some grub out of it.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Charity Dinner]

Mogzoku smiles at Mhearai, remaining completely oblivious to the awkwardness. "Well, I shan't intrude on your reunion any longer. I bid you adieu, kupo."

With that being said, Mogzoku flutters away from Braon and Atya, beginning to look for unoccupied women.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Charity Dinner]

The mouse's proclamation arouses a suspicion in the Queen. Was it mere coincidence? No matter, she can't let anything show tonight. She does take the rose and attaches it to her dress.

"A queen is indeed a woman still. My kingdom does sometimes feel remote. But alas, we fey find it difficult to relocate. I came to this city because a number of my people came to live here. I had to see for myself. You are making quite the first impression."