Riverside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Re: Riverside

Post by quillpleasant »

Charity Dinner

The name Mhearai means nothing to Atya, but she has heard of Dis. A hell city of some kind. Maybe? She's never known much about infernal business.

It's a bit of relief when it's confirmed that she hasn't spoken to Reinholdt in a while, but the dismissive comment about him earns another ear twitch.

"I don't know, actually. If that's the metaphor we're using, well, I guess I'm a bit of an addict," she says, her smile just a little icy. Atya knows all about what it's like to be insulted behind her back, and she's not very interested in engaging with that sort of talk about one of the few people she cares about.

Still, appearances are everything, and it wouldn't do to cause a scene at her own dinner. Plus, she's still trying to figure out what Mhearai knows. This whole thing just keeps feeling weirder.

"Of course, my apologies. I'm not being a very good host, am I? Follow me." Waving goodbye to Mogzoku, she leads the way in between the rows of dining citizens all the way up to the head table, in front of everyone. It's a very visible spot, very intentionally chosen.

"Please sit, you must do me the honor of dining with me," Atya says, pulling out a chair for her guest. Social courtesy can be a very effective trap sometimes.

Xar'cha Estate

Nathair can't help but admire Ilpholin's body, despite her severe greeting. It wouldn't be her if there wasn't some casual cruelty. Which is what he wants anyway.

"It's not my place to judge worthiness. If you deem them to be lacking, then I'll just try again," he murmurs, stepping back. With a wave of his hand, the first chest melts into nanomist, revealing a simple granite cone.

"An instant mountain. When water is applied, it grows to full size, some five hundred meters, permanently changing the landscape. A godly feat, but one not all gods can achieve." Admittedly he doesn't know what kind of god this is for, which makes the game more interesting.

The second chest is dissolved, revealing a battered black bowler hat. "Despite its appearance, this object is the doorway to a sizeable extradimensional space. I evicted its previous residents, but have been unable to map the full extent of what lies within. Everyone loves a good mystery." And considering how much of a fight the owners put up, it has to be important in some way.

Nathair hesitates before dissolving the final chest. "My last offering is a magical orb of great power, stolen from the lair of a powerful dragon. I would reveal it here, but the dragon seems to be able to see out of the orb, and I wouldn't want to jeopardize your security. The orb's master offers a great reward for its return. It is, of course, your choice how to proceed with it. If you wish me to strike the beast down, you have but to ask."

Now that his gifts have been explained, they seem a little shabbier than he was hoping. Perhaps he should have spent more time trying to find something grander- but then again, he would never be fully satisfied in the quality of what he found. If he had a heart, it would be beating quickly as he awaits Ilpholin's judgement.
horses can attack and eat me

Tags:
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Crash Site]

Olympia

The woman stands up straight and turns her attention to Olympia. Her flesh continues to repair itself, damaged chitinous plates flaking away like healed scabs. The many fine plates of her brow wrinkle, beleaguered, perplexed, but curious. For a moment the pale blue orbs of her eyes search the sky.

"What sphere is this?" Her head falls back toward Olympia. She has a papery, mild voice, like the flutter of a grasshopper wing. "Where are we, darling? I took a nasty shot to the head. Nasty, nasty." She doesn't move to help anybody just yet.

Jade

The man doesn't object until the forceps are nearly upon him. He tries to grasp Jade's wrist. He doesn't try to crush it or overpower her - he seems cognizant of the fact he couldn't resist her now if he tried - but the gesture to hold is the same.

"What sphere did we land in?" He sounds stunned. And old. And very tired. Haltingly he goes on, "I saw. Stars." He looks at Jade's tails. "You're chimera." He sounds slightly wary. "What clan are you from?"

Doctors Eun and Khafir

Most of the escaping people flee into the woods. A couple, though, get about twenty yards from the wreck and begin to bicker. They're pointing at Eun and Khafir. Haltingly, one of them - a woman - starts to trudge up the small hill by the wreck toward the doctors. The other, a man, follows after, head down, muttering darkly. Perhaps warning against approaching the strangers. It's hard to tell. They both keep glancing back at the ship as though it's about to rear up and get after them, though.

"You! Hello! Um!" The woman raises her hands in both greeting and a sort of surrender, uncertain of the doctors' intents. She's a small sort of person. A touch under five feet, with deep caramel skin, dark close-cropped hair, and wary eyes set in a hard-seamed face teetering on the apex of youth's climb and the long fall through middle age. She'll look the doctors over, trying to get an impression from their appearance. "Can you get help! Please! Or-- something? There are more people inside! We don't have the rot!"

"Laffia!" The man hisses at her, a few feet behind but catching up. He's of a similar appearance - only his broader shoulders and a couple inches of height serve as major differences. Close enough to be a sibling.

The vessel interior is a wreck, to Khafir's farsight. The dead lay scattered everywhere. There are a lot more people in white clothes, many of them terribly twisted compared to Laffia and her companion, than there are these others - sinister warriors in black liquid armor. Depending how far she can look, Khafir could push toward the aft of the ship - where there seems to be the most exterior damage, and where bodies fall thickest - or she could push toward the fore, which by the layout seems to be the control and command center. The entire place speaks of a living, biological colossus grown by nature but perverted to serve civilized need. Large sections of a hardened shell and rubbery interior flesh have been hollowed out, living spaces made around (now punctured) organs, barricaded fighting positions set up beside pumping blood vessels as thick as sewage pipes.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

Crash Site
Jade allows herself to be stopped... For now. Her luminous tool is slightly warm to the touch and vibrates almost imperceptibly.
"I'm afraid I have no idea what you're talking about," she says, honestly. "This place is called the Nexus. Your ship crashed, it probably went far off course from where you think you are."
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

Shadowcaller wrote: Jan 25, 2024 2:01 pm [Wandering Riverside]

"'Home'?" The word sounds almost alien on Raheeda's tongue. "Oh, they do let me stay at G-L-O-G right now if that's what you mean. But that's so far away though. There has to be somewhere in this place where you can cleaned off, right?" She gives Nadia a hopeful look before adding. "Oh, and I do have gold and stuff." A beat as her attention is drawn to what she's still holding in her hand. "And this soap now so I don't have to take someone else's."
[Wandering Riverside]

It is definitely so far away. The Riftline trip isn't too bad, but it's still a bit of a process to get on that train... If Raheeda is familiar with trains. Nadia couldn't say for certain. "Well, usually the community centers around here will let you use their showers if you just let them know you need a one time stop." Nadia replies with some measure of concern in her voice. "If you want I could walk you to one."
~Images by Soushiyo
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Charity Dinner]

As "Mhearai" is led up to the head table, she finds herself facing layer after layer of good news/bad news pairings.

The good news is, with the bunny off doing something else, she doesn't need to worry about maintaining the illusion that she knows the host to a third party.

The bad news is, that's partly because the host just picked her up and put her at the head table.

Good news, the host also seems to believe that they've met, and Mhearai can't quite shake the uncanny feeling that they have, as well, which might make carrying on the act a little easier.

Bad news, she apparently just insulted her, or at least annoyed her.

Good news... no, actually, that's probably it.

Yup.

Mhearai does as is requested, taking the seat at the head table and doing her best to keep her pulse below a steady hum. She can do this. She's bluffed her way through higher-stakes situations than this. All she needs to do is keep her head, and she'll be fine.

"...So." She begins, steepling her fingers. "How've you been, Atya? Past few years have been good to you, I take it?"

A few years is enough time to forget the details of a relationship, right? Especially if they've been eventful. And if Atya answers honestly, that will hopefully wick into information Mhearai can use to better give the impression she knows what she's talking about. At the very least, it buys her a little time to weave her own cover.

[Crash Site]

"The rot"?

That is 100% a biohazard of some kind. Eun recoils from the pair and a little further back from the ship, clutching her Hotbox and seemingly trying to will it to go faster.

Khafir, however, simply continues to stare straight ahead, preoccupied with her vision, before momentarily breaking off to address the strange woman. "...Perhaps you had better start from the beginning, miss." She replies dryly. "Without context, our ability to assist is limited."

Her will to do so, even more so.

"...We don't need to know too much." Eun points out. "As soon as hazmat's ready we can see about getting in there and providing some first aid-"

Oh god she just thought about climbing into that thing. Oh god she can already imagine trudging around in its guts, the sounds its flesh would make underfoot, the moistness that would pervade everything, oh god.

...This is going to suck.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Charity Dinner]

"I can't help it I'm afraid. I'm addicted to making a deep and lasting impression," Reinholdt says with a small grin. He performs his flourish. "Reinholdt, Treasure Hunter Extraordinaire."

"You are correct as well, a number of fey do live here. I don't how many are coming to this particular dinner tonight. I suppose that depends on if you consider elves or not." Some people do, some people don't.

[Xar'cha Estate]

"Perhaps." Ilpholin adds no more to the subject, instead eying the instant mountain critically. No way to test that item without using it, but it may be of interest to the deity she's thinking of. There's an almost slight nod of approval if one squints in the dim light of her room.

A momentary flash of contempt falls on Ilpholin's face as she sees the bowler hat, however. Seems like she could yet burn the thing after all. The nymph wasn't in the habit of destroying things could be useful to her admittedly. An unfortunate conundrum she would have to ruminate on. Unlikely a proper gift for a god though, most already having their own demi-planes. Mayhaps they could find it useful more as a portable storage device than a place to visit.

Whatever confusion she feels when Nathair hesitates with the last chest is swiftly explained away by the swarm. "And you brought it here?" Ilpholin pinches the bridge of her nose. "Why were you stealing from a dragon in the first place? Did all attempts to barter break down so poorly?"

Ilpholin sighs. It's done. The orb is here now. The potential for draconic retribution has been noted. It would be the fifth dragon she's had to subdue, but she's concerned about the collateral damage than the ability to handle it. Even if you can defeat a dragon, it often isn't worth the cost. "Can they hear through it as well? And what exactly about the orb makes it so powerful, besides being able to look through it?" The orb must be able to do something absolutely amazing to merit angering a dragon for it.
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Ironsmith wrote: Jan 25, 2024 3:12 pm [Currency Exchange]

"Oh good!" Hana chirps, the edge disappearing from her voice entirely. "I'll put the kettle on, then. You a jasmine girl? You strike me as a jasmine girl. Or maybe earl grey? ...Ah, we'll figure it out when you get here."

"Wife now, please?"

If Ava complies, Hazel will be quite eager to take the phone, quickly tucking it under her chin. "...Hey, hon. Yeah. Yeah, that's right. I know, it's complete bullshit."

A long pause, then, "Probably, yeah. I can't see them handing me back over to Intersection without doing their due diligence first. Which is- Han. It's a good thing." Hazel grimaces. "We'll get this all sorted out, and I'll be back home with you before you know it."

Another pause.

"...The black one? H... Han, come on, that's... that's a bit excessive..." Hazel's face has turned close to the same shade as her jacket. "The pink one will be fine. Yeah. No collar this time, okay?" She grins. "...See you real soon, honey."

bup

Hazel holds the phone back out to Ava. "...Okay. I'm ready to go now. Do what you've gotta do."
[Currency Exchange]

"Are you alright with the handcuffs then?" Ava inquires as her coworkers is particularly eager about taking them out.

By now the whole trapped-in-a-vault situation has surely been resolved. Or everyone inside is dead which probably would be rather awkward to Hazel.

[Wandering Riverside]

"A shower, eh? That gives me an idea actually. Since I wonder if..." Putting away the soap inside her robe she reaches into the pouch again and this time pulls out a whole jar by the handle. Something which couldn't have possibly fit inside, especially as its filled to the brim with what appears to be water.

"It worked!" Raheeda looks up, her gaze meeting Nadia's. It's full of wonder. "Isn't this amazing? It's the coolest magic item I ever found. I got a whole shower out of it." Raheeda holds the pouch up to Nadia. "You sure you don't want it?"

Nadia might be reminded of Irena's occasional rant about how not enough was done for the homeless of the city as she sees this play out. In particular when she invited a few of them to live in the manor for a while. They were extremely gracious and Raheeda gives off the same kind of vibe in response to given aid.

[Charity Dinner]

One antlered woman looks out of place among all these people. Wearing a plain brown shirt and jeans underneath the blue jacket she walked in here with.
And rather than a wine glass or a plate of appetizers she had a notebook and a pen.
But that was mostly since she had ignored the 'charity dinner' part in favor of the way it had been described in a newspaper to her, 'political event'. Since that's why she was here, to go all political. Not to do charity or eat any dinner.

Which is why she looks so forlorn once she sees that the host was already occupied with someone else.
But surely she couldn't have expect anything else?
She spends a moment looking around for some kind of line to talk to the elf-lady before deciding that just standing there looking expectingly at her would be enough.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Charity Dinner]

"I do mean elves when I speak of my people. Elves are my... wards, you could say. They built their city around the heart of my domain. And now a number of them moved to live here. And will take part in this election. It's quite a change." The Queen takes a few steps around Reinholdt, as if appraising him. She raises one of her black claws to her chin. "And what kind of treasure do you hunt, charming one?"
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by [brackets lover] »

[Charity Dinner]

Mogzoku's attempts to find someone to rizz up bring him to the antlered woman watching Atya. The grey-furred moogle floats up to eye-level with the notepad holder, giving them a courteous smile. "Pardon me, m'lady, but I can't help but notice that notebook in your hands. Would I be correct in assuming you're involved in the media, kupo?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Charity Dinner]

The woman blinks as her attention is drawn to the moogle and she appears puzzled at first before she finally manages to muster a verbal reply. "Umm... no, sir kupo. I'm just trying to educate myself a bit more on the candidates. Not a journalist or anything like that."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Shadowcaller wrote: Jan 31, 2024 10:37 am [Currency Exchange]

"Are you alright with the handcuffs then?" Ava inquires as her coworkers is particularly eager about taking them out.

By now the whole trapped-in-a-vault situation has surely been resolved. Or everyone inside is dead which probably would be rather awkward to Hazel.
[Currency Exchange]

For a given definition of "resolved", yes. The vault still hasn't been re-opened but the response team has been able to drill in some air holes; it may be a few more hours before the victims are rescued, but they're not in danger of suffocating.

Just bleeding out.

Hazel gives a little nod, shakily holding up her wrists for the handcuffs. "Y... yeah, I think I can live with that."

However, as soon as the officer attempts to put the cuffs on her, she surges forward, attempting to wrap him into a kind of bear hug, then reaching for the gun at his waist and trying to draw it, pointing the barrel at the base of his skull.

"Someone you fohgot to ask, pig." She snarls, her accent sliding neatly back into place.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Charity Dinner

"Years?" echoes Atya, hiding her confusion behind a smile, "Yeah, I've been... good." If it's been years since they've talked, then it must have been back when she was using a lot more. That would explain why she doesn't recognize Mhearai- her memories of that time are a blur. A horrible, bloody blur.

"Well, obviously I've cleaned up my act a little bit," she continues, gesturing vaguely at their surroundings, "Thanks to Marigold. You know Marigold, of course? You can't really miss her by the door. Indeed, the one eyed gray monster serving as a bouncer is a hard sight to miss. The test, however, is a lot easier to fail.

"Got a pretty sweet house, my own little chem lab, and now I'm running for mayor, so yeah, pretty good. Even have someone special, so I can't complain."

She steeples her fingers, grinning lazily at her dining companion. "So, Mhearai. What have you been up to? Still getting in trouble, eh?" This is followed by an exaggerated wink.

However, they're briefly interrupted as a bespectacled waiter stops by briefly to take their orders. Atya glances down at the menu.

"The scallops, thanks. And some of that hanger's drop, from my personal cooler." As she waits for the Mhearai to order, Atya surveys the room, making sure that nothing untoward is in need of her attention. She pauses as she notices a woman with antlers and an almost miserable expression. Was she staring at Atya? She makes a mental note to chase down that lead after she figures out what's making Mhearai tick.

Xar'cha Estate

Well, this is going downhill. While Nathair presented his gifts from what he expected to be the least impressive to the most, Ilpholin's mood seems to be decreasing with each reveal. It seems he's horribly misjudged some aspects of this situation.

"B...barter?" There's genuine confusion in his voice. In all his planning, it had never once occurred to him to just buy a gift. "I went to the dragon's lair expecting that something truly powerful could be found within. Which there was."

He gestures to his cracked golden eye. "I can see magical auras. This orb is an extremely potent artifact- I could see it like a beacon from far away. But I have not yet been able to test its properties." That was definitely a mistake. Nathair reflects that he should have waited another day to fully test the orb in a distant and secure location.

"The box is soundproof, it can't hear us. And as I said, the dragon does offer a reward for its return. If you desire, I can return it for a different treasure." He shifts uncomfortably, his outline wavering.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Charity Dinner]

"Glad to see she's been keeping you on the straight and narrow." Mheari says, steepling her fingers and cracking a little smile. It sounds like there was a whole thing there, which is... still nice to hear, even if it's a stranger's story.

...But frustratingly vague. There was almost nothing there she could really latch onto. Atya was apparently a hell-raiser back in the day, swore it off and now is trying to live an honest life. And she probably expects Mhearai to know the details of a time she'd probably rather not talk about. Bollocks.

"I'll have scallops, too. And just water for me." She adds offhandedly to the waiter.

...This might go a little better if she volunteered some information of her own. Nothing identifiable, of course, but something to give the impression this isn't a one-sided interrogation.

"Ah, well, I've cleaned up my act a bit, too." Mhearai smiles. "Had a few kids. Gave up drinking while I was pregnant and haven't taken it back up. Been mostly keeping my nose clean, except when it would be more fun to get it dirty."

All true, more or less. That's one less lie she'll have to keep track of. But also still vague. No way to direct the conversation from there. Maybe she should elaborate.

"So, funny story, I actually ended up working for a demon queen for a little bit." She adds, sweeping right into a story. "Nasty piece of work, as you might expect. Self-righteous as all heck, but still plenty willing to be brutal when the chips were down. That was an interesting few months of my life, let me tell you."

There. That might help break the pattern of vagueness in this conversation.
Last edited by Ironsmith on Feb 01, 2024 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Charity Dinner]

Reinholdt stands up a little straighter, but wonders why he's being sized up. The queen isn't planning to kidnap him and force him to join her slave concubinus harem, is she? That would be just... awful...

"Oh all sorts of treasures. Monetary, Magical, Scientific, Hearts. I wouldn't be very Extraordinary if I could only do one thing or the other. There's nothing I can't retrieve," Reinholdt claims at any rate.

"I only mention the elves because the candidate hosting the party is an elf herself. Half-elf to be most accurate. I imagine Atya to be most exceptionally capable at bridging the needs between the elves who have moved here recently and the other less fey mortals. Help make any transitions smoother on a structural level."

[Xar'cha Estate]

Ilpholin raises an eyebrow. "Can you imagine presenting such a gift to a god?" Ilpholin asks. "'Your divineness, here is the most powerful artifact I possess. What does it do? W-well I don't know. Other than allow a dragon to spy on you that is.' I dare say I don't think that would go over well." Ilpholin stares at Nathair for a moment or two, letting it sink in.

The nymph steps towards him, getting in close, closer still. The definition of personal space evaporates and her eyes never once leave his, as if boring through his broken eye to try and find the mind within. She raises her hand, but no blow comes on. Only shockingly soft fingers caressing his cheek. "Your eagerness is understandable, admirable, but when you have the time, doing the job right is most important." Her thumb traces along his lower lip. "You will investigate the orb elsewhere to determine its properties so that I may decide if it's worthwhile or not. More importantly you will find out if the dragon can be severed from its connection to the orb without a direct confrontation."

Ilpholin's hand leaves Nathair's face to wrap around the back of his head. "But not this instant. I have another mission I want to discuss with you first... in detail." She will draw him into a deep kiss as she begins to walk them both towards the bed.
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Currency Exchange]

Was there any other visible change in Hazel before or after she started resisting and fell back into that accent again? Ava's specialization is being observant so she might just have caught something.

And if she did catch something it might allow her to react slightly faster as she surges forward to bear hug than the other officer who find himself grabbed and bereft of his service pistol.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Crash Site]

Olympia hesitates for a moment.

But only a moment.

Mostly because the question 'what sphere is this?' is a weird question.

Is that like...

A weird name for a planet? Or does she mean sphere like plane of existence? Are they some sorta dimension hopper crew or something? Without context it's hard to tell.

"You just crashed into the Nexus," she settles on. "It's... sorta a whole buncha places."

That's about the best she can do in short order.

Since the lady doesn't appear to be moving Olympia decides to press for more information.

"Is there any other danger going on here that I gotta know about? I don't wanna get blindsided while I'm trying to help people."
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Charity Dinner]

"How interesting. I do hope I can get to meet her, then," the Queen says. Her motives for appraising Reinholdt are indeed a mystery for now. "I know some of my people who came to live here are fearful of demons. They invaded this city once already, no? And they still lurk on the edges."
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Charity Dinner]

Mogzoku gives a hearty chuckle."My apologies for the misunderstanding, kupo. Well, as you may know, Mrs. Atya will have plenty of guests to greet to today. Might I offer my input on your intended inquiries? It would not do to receive a less than useful answer in what limited time you're afforded with her, kupo."
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Crash Site]

Jade

The man shakes his head suddenly, emphatically. "Not my ship." He glances around, the oily skull that hides his face swirling with strange shadows. "Nexus." He wants to ask what lords are here - what gods rule this place, what Mythrad hold sway. But the girl has the right idea. There are more immediate concerns.

"You must listen. This vessel belongs to the cult of Ba'al. They are a pestilence - a ruin on the very soul. You can't let anyone escape. You must not remove these," He grunts and shifts as he indicates the shrapnel in his belly, "Until we're away. It's in the air. You don't even want to breathe it. Not unless you want to end up like them." He indicates the twisted bodies. "Or--"

The warrior's head snaps up, aiming at a spot to his right and off into the smoke. "Look out!"

A musclebound grotesque, easily scraping seven feet in height, lunges from the smoke toward Jade. He interlocks his fingers to form a single bludgeon and hauls it back over his head as though to swing a maul. The blow falls with a force usually reserved for tumbling meteorites. The man is ashen skinned, his limbs are bound tightly with filthy linen wrappings, and he is shrouded about the head with a bag of white cloth.

Doctors Eun and Khafir

"Oh! Context! Um!" The woman's eyes skitter around as though they might flee into the trees.

"Just what are they going to do anyway? There are only two of them! They're probably skaela!"

"With all the fancy stuff they've got? Shut up, Garimo!" The one called Laffia takes a deep breath. "We were at a sort of a... party. Big, big party, big center city party, and then we started to hear the maddest things, and the sky got black, and folks were running and screaming and the seers were crying, crying that Shimmur was dead..."

"Laffia!" Garimo hisses, as though she spoke some blasphemy.

"Which is impossible because Lord Shimmur can't die, he's not supposed to, but..." Laffia's eyes rove again. She clutches herself. "Some strange people were at the party. More came to meet them. They grabbed some of us. We went to a skyflenser they had hidden--" Laffia's head swivels between Khafir and the ship. "That's a skyflenser, by the by. They told us we were going on a trip-- that we were provender, whatever that meant. They wanted out of the city quick. We flew for days before anything happened. But but but! Some of Lord Shimmur's people - his Blackfangs! They got aboard! Then--" She arcs her arms wildly to indicate the scene. "Pchoo! All fall down!"

Olympia

"So we made it," the towering lady's voice flutters. "Hm." She stoops into a crouch that might still match Olympia's height, examining some of the bodies. "All dead here, little friend. If you mean to rescue more, inside you'll need to go."

"There is Lord Shahala," The woman says, craning her neck to the right and slightly over her shoulder with flexibility that borders on the eerie. "I don't know if he survived." She sighs. "Never have I met a more tenacious, irritating man."

"Then there are my others. My Witnesses. They won't harm you if you're with me." She looks into Olympia's eyes with a regard that seems as ageless and cold as a lith on a forsaken moor. She raises one seven-inch finger. "But watch, pretty plum. Watch for any black-clad, antlered men. Deadly perfect soldiers, are they - and if you step aboard, you become their target, the same as we."

"Seveira am I called. I serve the Ring of the world - the father of all." She rises from her squat, smiling, extending a beckoning hand and then swaying it toward the wreck. "Shall we?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Charity Dinner]

The woman chuckles as well though only out of politeness.
"Oh, uh, I guess?" She respond to his inquiry before looking down at her notebook. "But I had actually written down some questions I wanted to ask."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Crash Site
"Ba'al? As in Ba'alzebub?" Jade questions, "So we've got crazy death cultists and... Woah!" thanks to the timely warning, she jumps out of the way. She dismissed her forceps and reprojects a shield.
"Are you the kind of monster that can be reasoned with or are you just some kind of angry zombie?" she questions, dodging back out of its reach. She has a strong "no killing people" policy, so if the thing shows any sign of higher reasoning, she'll need to adjust her tactics. Therefore, she has to gauge it before she strikes back.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

Shadowcaller wrote: Jan 31, 2024 10:37 am [Wandering Riverside]

"A shower, eh? That gives me an idea actually. Since I wonder if..." Putting away the soap inside her robe she reaches into the pouch again and this time pulls out a whole jar by the handle. Something which couldn't have possibly fit inside, especially as its filled to the brim with what appears to be water.

"It worked!" Raheeda looks up, her gaze meeting Nadia's. It's full of wonder. "Isn't this amazing? It's the coolest magic item I ever found. I got a whole shower out of it." Raheeda holds the pouch up to Nadia. "You sure you don't want it?"

Nadia might be reminded of Irena's occasional rant about how not enough was done for the homeless of the city as she sees this play out. In particular when she invited a few of them to live in the manor for a while. They were extremely gracious and Raheeda gives off the same kind of vibe in response to given aid.
[Wandering Riverside]

"No no, that's alright. I think you'll get a lot more use out of it than me." It's not as though Nadia wants for material goods. "I'm not sure you're going to have a good place to use that, though. Not for showering." She points at the jar. "So I'd still recommend the community center."
~Images by Soushiyo
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Charity Dinner]

"How awfully resourceful of you," he says respectfully, "If its not too much trouble, may I see what you've written?"
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Charity Dinner

Atya smiles, rather pleased with herself. The fact that the woman showed no reaction to her using the wrong name for Daisy is a dead giveaway that she's been faking this entire time. Her bodyguard/roommate has been a constant companion for years, and anyone who knew Atya would definitely know both of them.

Still, there's no need to give away the fact that she knows. In fact, now it's even more fun to play cat and mouse. Although if Mhearai doesn't know Atya, then she probably does know Reinholdt, which is troubling.

Setting aside her mental gymnastics, Atya raises an impressed eyebrow. "A few kids, huh? Good for you. Doubly so on going dry, I simply don't have the willpower. Of course, in that kind of circumstance it's important, but... well." A brief shadow passes over her face, but then she's all smiles again.

"A demon queen- I mean, if you were going to serve anyone, that's about what I'd expect. Strange for one to be self-righteous though, but then again, you never can tell." She leans forward in a gossipy manner. "You know, I actually dated a demon for a while- well, a lady with a demon bound to her, so it was kind of a package deal. You'd think that would be been pretty exciting, but god what a prude. You'd think that someone made of blood would be more into- oh, here's our food."

The waiter deposits their dishes, and Mhaerai will find the scallops to be plated and cooked to perfection. Atya's more interested in her drink however, a heavy glass cup of clear fizzing liquid. She gives it a stir with her fork, which bubbles loudly. When the utensil is removed, the tines have melted together.

"So. How do you know Reinholdt, exactly?" she asks, her face a picture of studied indifference as she takes a large gulp of the drink. There's a hissing sound, and her throat glows slightly orange as she swallows the stuff without reaction. It's clearly a show of power. There's no way she just enjoys drinking acid, right?

Xar'cha Estate

Ilpholin's point comes across very clearly- when it's put like that, the gift is an utter disaster. He clenches his fists, full of disappointment in himself. Whether it's chalked up to recklessness or passion, Nathair is not very good at thinking long term. He must do better. He must be better. If he does not embody the perfection of the oil in his every action, if he is not a flawless tool to carry out Ilpholin's will-

Then what's his point?

This train of thought is disrupted by the nymph's touch, the fire in Nathair's mind extinguished in an instant. From the moment he left on his last mission, there's been a part of him yearning for this very moment unceasingly. He leans into her hand, his eye gazing into her like he's looking at infinity.

"I will find out everything there is to know, as you wish," he murmurs. And he'll do it right- no matter how long it takes.

But all else vanishes as Ilpholin kisses him. Nathair had half convinced himself that last time was simply a whim on her part, a lucky blessing never to be repeated. How glad he is to be wrong. Without ruining the moment with words he kisses her back with all the eagerness she knows to expect, following her to the bed without hesitation, ready to please her in all the ways he knows how.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Charity Dinner]

"She's here somewhere. I'm certain she's more than eager to meet you as well." Having a literal queen backing your election efforts would be quite the boon after all.

Reinholdt has much less to say about the fear of demons though. "I find it more effective to fear demons on an individual basis than as a whole. Suppose it depends on how many you meet. But some treasures require... esoteric acquisition methods." Rein shrugs lightly. "But then I suspect I'm more used to dangerous, yet fulfilling encounters."

Why he's risking his life right now, flirting with a matriarch.

[Xar'cha Estate]

If nothing else, Nathair's efforts are rewarded with a heavy curtain pull, Ilpholin being a demanding and needy mistress. She certainly keeps him preoccupied for an extended of period of time, making sure all her requests are being met.

When Ilpholin finally decides it's enough, the curtain rises once more. Propped on her side by her elbow, her bare leg curving against his as it rises a little, the nymph traces empty shapes upon Nathair's chest with her finger. "I am pleased for this... exquisite distraction, but there is still much that needs to be done. Go and get started on the orb."
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Wandering Riverside]

"Good point, since you can't just shower on the street." Which was definitively something she had known all along.
Indeed, Raheeda seems strangely nonchalant about the temperatures as she appears severely undressed for it. Since that robe of hers isn't even covering much of her legs. So that she isn't freezing right now is more than a little peculiar.

"So what's a community center then? Is it like the head wagon, the one everyone gathers around when there's time for community stuff?"
Irena could occasionally be found at the community center at this time of the day. In fact, she might just be there right now if she wasn't stuck playing some video game.

[Charity Dinner]

The antlered woman appears a bit hesitant handing over her notes. So instead she flips it around to show the kopu.
In a neat handwriting four questions are written underneath the tag line of QUESTIONS FOR MISS ATYA (Last Name?):
  • What are your plans to support small businesses in Eastside?
  • How will you solve the policing crisis in the city?
  • How will the city get defended from future attacks?
  • Will Eastside ever get fully rebuilt?
Aside from the note within the brackets it's all very cleanly written out. Likely the product of at least a few sketches.
Apart from that question within parenthesis its all very cleanly written.
"I'm going to ask more of course but that's the four things I want to focus on." She explains.
Last edited by Shadowcaller on Feb 02, 2024 1:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Shadowcaller wrote: Feb 01, 2024 1:43 pm [Currency Exchange]

Was there any other visible change in Hazel before or after she started resisting and fell back into that accent again? Ava's specialization is being observant so she might just have caught something.

And if she did catch something it might allow her to react slightly faster as she surges forward to bear hug than the other officer who find himself grabbed and bereft of his service pistol.
[Currency Exchange]

There was not, apart from a change in lucidity that would probably be one-way if it was the result of a demon taking over or relinquishing control.

"Heae's how dis is gonna go down." Hazel continues, emphatically tapping the barrel of the service pistol to the officer's neck. "You'he gonna call me a ride. Nothin' fancy, just a set of wheels wit' a motor attached, and wit' no bells and whistles, like, say, a trackeh. I'm gonna take it and drive off into da sunset wit' my loot, neveh to be seen by Rivehside authohities again, an' youh buddie heae doesn't spend da resta his days in an ihon lung." She scowls and presses the barrel in further. "You got thirteh seconds. What's it gonna be?"
Murkus wrote: Feb 01, 2024 9:51 pm [Crash Site]

Doctors Eun and Khafir

"Oh! Context! Um!" The woman's eyes skitter around as though they might flee into the trees.

"Just what are they going to do anyway? There are only two of them! They're probably skaela!"

"With all the fancy stuff they've got? Shut up, Garimo!" The one called Laffia takes a deep breath. "We were at a sort of a... party. Big, big party, big center city party, and then we started to hear the maddest things, and the sky got black, and folks were running and screaming and the seers were crying, crying that Shimmur was dead..."

"Laffia!" Garimo hisses, as though she spoke some blasphemy.

"Which is impossible because Lord Shimmur can't die, he's not supposed to, but..." Laffia's eyes rove again. She clutches herself. "Some strange people were at the party. More came to meet them. They grabbed some of us. We went to a skyflenser they had hidden--" Laffia's head swivels between Khafir and the ship. "That's a skyflenser, by the by. They told us we were going on a trip-- that we were provender, whatever that meant. They wanted out of the city quick. We flew for days before anything happened. But but but! Some of Lord Shimmur's people - his Blackfangs! They got aboard! Then--" She arcs her arms wildly to indicate the scene. "Pchoo! All fall down!"
[Crash Site]

"...I see." Khafir says after a moment, her farsight still focused on the skyflenser's interior. "Perhaps I should have been more specific. The politics of the situation are irrelevant. We have no stake in whatever conflict it was that brought you here."

"We're a bit more worried about, um..." Eun massages a lump in her throat. "...You called it the rot?"

"Precisely. Our immediate concern is the potential for biohazardous materials to spread to the surrounding area." Khafir gestures out to the fleeing refugees. "We are too late to physically prevent the spread of such materials, but anything you could tell us that would help containment and treatment efforts would be valuable information."

"...I mean we might still go into the politics, I guess. But that would have to come later. More of a long-term consideration than what we're doing here."

[Charity Dinner]

"...Sorry, did you say made of blood?" Mheari stares, not-at-all-stoically, as Atya takes a gulp of what is apparently a fork-melting acid. Adea's teat is that a disturbing image. Is this lady trying to commit suicide as publically as possible? Or is she just showing off her apparently ridiculous levels of resistance to toxic substances? What is this, some kind of intimidation tactic? Is she trying to intimidate her? Why would she be trying to intimidate her? Did she say something to give the game away, and this is her way of-

Whoa, girl. Easy. Calm down, process this rationally. Atya ordered that drink when they first sat down. If this wasn't normal for her, then she'd been pegged as early as "what've you been up to?", which doesn't seem likely. The woman probably just has... very bizarre tastes.

Yeah. That has to be it.

Mheari snaps out of her reverie and clears her throat, busying her hands with the process of picking up one of the little chunks of meat on her plate. Is that what a scallop is? That has to be what a scallop is. "How do I know Rein?" She echoes, trying to bring herself back into the conversation. "We used to be drinking buddies. You know, of a sort. Obviously, we haven't been doing that lately." She pauses and takes a sip of water from her own glass, which is considerably less intimidating but at least serves to underscore her point.

That still seems like a safe answer. Nearly everybody drinks, right? It's only weirdos like her who go and develop hangups about it. Just as long as Atya doesn't start pressing for details like "What kinds of drinks did he like best" or "Where did you guys meet up", she should be fine.

And if she doesn't want that to come up, it would probably be best to move the conversation in another direction. Perhaps off the subject of Rein entirely. But maybe not that obviously trying to avoid talking about him.

That's harder than it sounds. Maybe she should just rewind the topic a little.

"...It's kind of funny how things work out with demons, isn't it?" She says, finally managing to puncture one of the scallops and get it up close to her mouth. "You go in expecting sexy and unrestrained, because of course that's what you expect, but then it turns out they're just no fun at all. Which I guess makes sense, if they're trying to torture you or something."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Crash Site]

Wow that sure is a whole lotta sketchy sounding stuff.

"So did this Shahala guy board the ship with his buddies and the fighting caused the crash?" Olympia asks as she begins following the super-tall bug lady. She wants to make sure she's more or less clear on what's going on her. Or at least she wants a better idea of what's going on as opposed to being clueless. Being clueless leads to being surprised. And a surprised Magical Girl is a dead Magical Girl.

Honestly she isn't that concerned about whatever these people might have been fighting about?

So long as neither of them wanna take over the Nexus or whatever.

She just wants to see if she can help with the wounded since that's the heroic thing to do!

Sure, she's only got a couple of the patch kits with her but that's still a couple people maybe saved which is better than nothing. It's times like these that she really wishes she had healing magic.

But NOPE!

That isn't the sort of Magical Girl magic she got.

She just got a whole lotta punching.

Oh, she should probably introduce herself.

"I'm Olympia, one of the local heroes," the Magical Girl says. She doesn't exactly relish going into the ship. Most of her really GOOD tricks need more space to work right in case things get dicey. But she'll make do with what she's got.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Charity Dinner]

Mogzoku looks intently at the notepad, adjusting his spectacles. He looks to the woman and smiles. "Right, well, I recommend refraining from using the term 'crisis' and instead highlight the specific issues you wish to see addressed. 'Crisis' is polarizing, you see, and you'll likely receive an evasive answer for its usage," he advises, "And might I add that your handwriting is quite beautiful, kupo."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Charity Dinner

"Oh yeah, blood. Well, her arm was. And she didn't even have fun with it," Atya says, shaking her head dismissively. She hides her smile behind another smaller sip. The drink is both fun and intimidating. Mhearai is getting rattled, which is exactly where she wants her.

In politics, keeping your opponent off kilter paves the way for them to say too much. Stop just short of scaring them, but keep them on edge, and wait for them to crack under the pressure. The same concept is applicable here. Now she just has to press the advantage.

She leans forward, edging slightly into the woman's personal space. "'Drinking buddies', huh? Is that what they're calling it now? How cute. I'll be sure to let him know you said hello." Atya's eyes harden alarmingly for a moment, and her hand suddenly darts forward- but only to grab Mhearai's fork, and thereby also her hand. She guides it the rest of the way towards the woman's lips, waiting for her to take the bite.

"Good, isn't it? I paid a lot for this meal, it should be." She glances around, then leans in even closer. Uncomfortably close. "You know, you're talking a lot about how unpleasant demons are, but you're some kind of infernal yourself, no? Is this self deprecation, or do you think you could do better? I've never minded a little torture, but you know that already."

Xar'cha Estate

For his part, Nathair is only too happy to enthusiastically serve Ilpholin for as long as she allows him to. He's unable to physically tire, and emotionally he can't imagine anything more fulfilling then making his mistress happy. Repeatedly.

Afterwards, he takes a second to breathe, enjoying just being near to her. Sure, he doesn't actually need rest or oxygen, but that's not the point.

However, he won't linger overlong. At her command he rises, with only a hint of reluctance, clothes growing back over his body.

"I will do as you command, mistress. Should you have any need of me, I will be by your side in an instant." The chest floats up through the air and he follows it out, with a last lingering glance before he goes.