HALO CLXXXV: The Titles End Here

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Felandria
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Re: HALO CLXXXV: The Titles End Here

Post by Felandria »

bc56 wrote: Jan 12, 2024 11:28 am Fox in Box
"Sorry, it's just all the water makes me uncomfortable." That's one way to put it, if not the whole truth.
The nine-tailed fox looks up at Fel. She feels short even at the best of times, but talking to a giantess is something else.
"You do science here, right? And magic? And science on magic?" she keeps glancing nervously at the porthole as if she expects it to explode inward at any moment.
Yes to all three!

And rest assured, this place is completely safe.

Even if the impossible happened, there are security spells in place that would teleport everyone to safety.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

Fox in Box
Somehow, the foxgirl doesn't look reassured. If anything, that information makes her more worried.
"I have a problem. With magic. And I was hoping someone here could help? Someone who knows science and magic." That's a very vague request but she doesn't think she can be more specific right now.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

Shadowcaller wrote: Jan 12, 2024 3:40 pm [A Meeting of Minds]

"Good idea, the way clay can be shaped makes it perfect to experiment with." Ambrosia says with a genuine smile. This was coming off to a great start.

She looks between Dorota and Utayo. "Perhaps we could all make our own clay vessels, or at least suggest their shapes if you're not comfortable with taking on sculpting Mrs. Iwatsuki?" She gestures to the moonfolk.
Morty wrote: Jan 12, 2024 10:58 pm [A Meeting of Minds]

"I think... yes, each of us crafting or suggesting a vessel would be appropriate." Dorota does like this idea. "Thankfully I always have some clay on hand."
[A Meeting of Minds]

"It has been some time since I've worked with clay, but I expect I can pick it up again with little trouble." Utayo replies. "Do you have particular guidelines for the shape? Or what qualities are important?"
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Morty wrote: Jan 12, 2024 10:58 pm [A Meeting of Minds]

"I think... yes, each of us crafting or suggesting a vessel would be appropriate." Dorota does like this idea. "Thankfully I always have some clay on hand."
[A Meeting of Minds]

"I think a tiger could be interesting. But I'm not sure I could accurately portray one with clay." Ambrosia remarks as give light to Utayo's inquiry. Since some animals couldn't be easily be made without either a lot of experience or significant time investment.

"Then again, I've worked with clouds a lot. Not the same thing but at least the same principle, yes? To give meaning to something lifeless." This she mentioned since she was curious if the moonfolk had similar experiences with clouds as she had heard her people worked with them.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[A Meeting of Minds]

Dorota considers this for a moment. It's been some time since she worked with clay, actually...

"The shapes shouldn't be too complex. There's only so far clay can bend. And it's probably best if each of us makes a different shape. If Ambrosia makes a tiger, that is a quadruped... I could try a cubical arrangement I've seen recently."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[A Meeting of Minds]

Utayo considers the possibilities a moment before giving a light shrug. "I'll need to consider more. I'll think better when the material is in front of me. I think with my hands, you see." She flexes her bionic hand to accentuate the statement. "A few options are coming to me. I'll be sure to avoid overlap."
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[A Meeting of Minds]

"'Cubical arrangement'?" Ambrosia inquires, giving Dorota a curious look. "As in a tool or a machine?"

She starts to remove her gloves as she waits for Dorota to present them with the clay, revealing purple scale-like discolorations on the back of her hand along her knuckles.
"Since after seeing Mrs Iwatsuki's drones I can't help but to consider if animals, and indeed people, are in fact advanced biological machines since the principles are the same." And there was nothing 'just' about machines. They were as amazing as animals and people if not more so, or at least that's what she thought after seeing Utayo's drones.
Last edited by Shadowcaller on Jan 26, 2024 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Fourth Tower Compound

Jim arrives here with Sticks and Jaahlyn in the lead. Hopefully the compound doesn't have smooth tiles, as those are rough on people with hooves.
"So, you've been here before? It's definitely different from the castle..." he muses.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Fourth Tower Compound]

Sticks follows along behind the couple, listening intently. The very tall, very thin wizard is all swathed in his patchwork cloak, though beneath it he wears a tweed vest, trousers, and a pale blue undershirt. His fae-light eyes scan the compound curiously.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Fourth Tower Compound

Jaahlyn have guided them to the portal inside HALO leading to the fourth tower. "I've never seen Sticks around here before but it's not like I'm here all the time. It was a while since they hired me to a job actually." She remarks just before she arrives at the portal.

"But this way please, gentlemen first."

If they're willing to enter it they will arrive at what seems to be a lobby area of sorts. It's open with doors leading into different sections of what must be a relatively large compound, though certainly smaller than the one they had in Riverside if memories serve Sticks right. He can likely detect magic brewing all over the place.
For instance ways to detect people who crosses past the lobby without the permission of the owners.
"Afraid we will have to wait here for a bit. It's only polite after all." The satyr explains.

So now they have to wait for someone to greet them it seems. Jaahlyn ringing the bell near the desk twice before giving it a rest.
Last edited by Shadowcaller on Jan 25, 2024 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Fourth Tower

"Well, I meant you. But maybe they just found out you had a nice steady job at the Court so they figured you'd be busy?"
After all, Jaahlyn is a royal musician or something. No longer stuck as everyone's eternal errand-girl.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Fourth Tower Compound]

Sticks taps his bident-stave lightly against the ground as he peers around, his eyes tracking unseen things.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[A Meeting of Minds]

"It's a theoretical model I've heard about. A machine that moves and rearranges itself by shifting its cubes. Not really something I'd normally do, since I'm not a mechanic. But with the dragon essence, who knows what will happen."

Dorota steps away to get a large block of clay from one of the lab shelves.

"We can use one of the kilns to heat it up."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Fourth Tower Compound]

The Fourth Tower foyer is a wide open room with some notable décor. On the floor is a large area rug with the pattern of a stylized summoning circle on it. On the walls are a variety of tapestries which display accomplishments of the organization. This room has five doors, one directly forward and two on each wall to the side. Only the leftmost door is open.

The desk inside is largely unadorned except for two things. One, a small container of business cards that give basic information about how to contact the compound. Otherwise, there's the small bell that Jaahlyn rings. The high pitched sound seems to linger in the air and carry away one sounded.

They'll wait a few minutes before they hear one of the other doors open and then close again. Up to the entrance of the room bustles a young woman. She's wearing a robe depicting the sigil of the Fourth Tower. Her slender face is framed with brown hair and a tail seems to accentuate her movement. The vanara pauses when she sees the group, taking them in before speaking. "Ah, Jaahlyn. It's been some time. And you've brought friends."

[A Meeting of Minds]

"Perhaps I'll have to inquire more about this model later, given I am." Utayo gives a small smile. Mechanical creations are her entire craft, and she likes to think she's quite skilled.

With the clay presented to her, however, she returns to the task at hand. Immediately she plays her hands over it, contemplating the possibilities. It's not long before she settles on an option in her mind and goes to work. She starts to form an upright, oblong figure. Her cybernetic hand moves with mechanical precision, her right hand acting more as support. It's not long before the shape of a fish become apparent, it's open mouth stretching into the sky. Utayo seems content to focus on the details for a bit. For someone who's not worked with clay for a while, she doesn't seem all that unpracticed.
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Fourth Tower Compound]

"Indeed, I've had to preoccupy my time with other matters as of late." The satyr makes a small bow and gestures to the others. "And speaking of, let me introduce Jim Puck of Inside and Sticks, the Toy Tinkerer of Riverside. We're here looking to trade precious materials with your headmaster."

[A Meeting of Minds]

"Excellent, let's start then. I'm excited to see how this all turns out."
Ambrosia had to agree with Utayo, that did sound interesting and she wasn't even half as learned in the matters of machines as she were.

And that was something of a problem actually since she was now more interested in seeing what Dorota and Utayo were making than with her own clay tiger. So progress on it is going to be slow as she more than just occasionally looked up to see how the other two sculptures were coming along.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Fourth Tower Compound]

Sticks bends at the waist, and his reedy body squeaks and whines with the exertion of a courtly bow. When he's vertical again, he eyes Jaahlyn. The Toy Tinkerer of Riverside? Well not... inaccurate, he supposes, and certainly not the strangest thing he's ever been called. It had the advantage of being unassuming, but also unintentionally dishonest, as he wasn't really here in the capacity of a toymaker.

He smiles, though. Were it that he could erase all else, and the toyman was all he would ever be, Sticks isn't sure that he'd mind. Certainly it is better to be remembered as a maker of toys than a wizard.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Fourth Tower Compound

Jim bows out of formality. "It's nice to meet you. I'm sure our business will be simple." Just a basic transaction, surely. Though going straight to the headmaster? Jaahlyn either trusts this person a lot, or there's no one else to trust or with the ability to trade these specific things.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[A Meeting of Minds]

Dorota spends the next minutes in intense concentration as she shapes some cubes out of clay. Her creation is composed of four large cubes with a hollow space in the middle. Each cube also has one smaller shape attached do it. She doesn't seem certain about it, but it's meant to be an experiment.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

Shadowcaller wrote: Jan 27, 2024 9:02 am [A Meeting of Minds]

"Excellent, let's start then. I'm excited to see how this all turns out."
Ambrosia had to agree with Utayo, that did sound interesting and she wasn't even half as learned in the matters of machines as she were.

And that was something of a problem actually since she was now more interested in seeing what Dorota and Utayo were making than with her own clay tiger. So progress on it is going to be slow as she more than just occasionally looked up to see how the other two sculptures were coming along.
Morty wrote: Jan 30, 2024 7:52 pm [A Meeting of Minds]

Dorota spends the next minutes in intense concentration as she shapes some cubes out of clay. Her creation is composed of four large cubes with a hollow space in the middle. Each cube also has one smaller shape attached do it. She doesn't seem certain about it, but it's meant to be an experiment.
[A Meeting of Minds]

Utayo is quite efficient in her work. It's not the sort of prototyping she does most often, but the principles are the same. She focuses on the important parts and leave the rest as broad gestures. In time once she has a reasonable scale pattern in place she turns back to refining the head. "I suspect I could stop at any point, but I'll continue for as long as you give me time." She remarks without looking up.
Shadowcaller wrote: Jan 27, 2024 9:02 am [Fourth Tower Compound]

"Indeed, I've had to preoccupy my time with other matters as of late." The satyr makes a small bow and gestures to the others. "And speaking of, let me introduce Jim Puck of Inside and Sticks, the Toy Tinkerer of Riverside. We're here looking to trade precious materials with your headmaster."
Murkus wrote: Jan 28, 2024 2:30 pm [Fourth Tower Compound]

Sticks bends at the waist, and his reedy body squeaks and whines with the exertion of a courtly bow. When he's vertical again, he eyes Jaahlyn. The Toy Tinkerer of Riverside? Well not... inaccurate, he supposes, and certainly not the strangest thing he's ever been called. It had the advantage of being unassuming, but also unintentionally dishonest, as he wasn't really here in the capacity of a toymaker.

He smiles, though. Were it that he could erase all else, and the toyman was all he would ever be, Sticks isn't sure that he'd mind. Certainly it is better to be remembered as a maker of toys than a wizard.
Keeper wrote: Jan 28, 2024 7:57 pm Fourth Tower Compound

Jim bows out of formality. "It's nice to meet you. I'm sure our business will be simple." Just a basic transaction, surely. Though going straight to the headmaster? Jaahlyn either trusts this person a lot, or there's no one else to trust or with the ability to trade these specific things.
[Fourth Tower Compound]

"Yes, my apologies. My name is Bontu." After the explanation, the vanara's eyes narrow with uncertainty and she looks at the other two again. "Precious materials? What kind of precious materials, though?" Jaahlyn of course knew their trade, which narrows the field.
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Fourth Tower Compound]

"I find myself unable to recall what named you used for it at this very moment but it's commonly referred to as cold iron when in metal form, or dragon tears as liquid." That might be enough of a clue for Bontu to realize just what the satyr was talking about.

It did go by many names because it wasn't just one type of material. It was rather material that had gained spirit repellent properties after having been exposed to something which wasn't fully agreed on even to this day. Theories ranges from the remains of witches to the tears of dragons (hence the second name). More modern theories suggested it was likely to be something less tangible however. Whatever the case there was also different ranges of exposure.

Some exposed items were only dangerous to spirits while others, though especially deadly to the ensorcelled, could hurt just about anything alive that came close to it. Sometimes with adverse effects that could last a lifetime, however short that might be. Needless to say, the second variant wasn't something they kept around here as it was difficult to store.

However, they did have some of the first variant here as it functioned as a universal bane for every kind of spirit imaginable. Thus, it was also extremely valuable to the fourth tower and any warlock worth their salt. All other wards were specialized to a degree, only functioning against certain categories of spirits. Requiring the full spectrum of what they were taught here to use properly.

Thus spiritbane (or irridiated material if you wanted to get scientific) was mostly only used for the creation of safety rods (akin to fire extinguisher but for spirit-related emergencies) and other more unique items. A warlock that used spirit bane in a ward would commonly be seen as a complete amateur since it was basically admitting that you had no idea what you were dealing with and thus something you shouldn't deal with in the first place.

Of course, sometimes when summoning more experimental entities it was allowed though still not something warlocks, especially younger ones that were afraid of being seen as inexperienced, liked to admit using.

[A Meeting of Minds]

Despite the details and effort the other two are putting in, Ambrosia will still finish last. While first going for something more realistic she eventually has to settle for a heavily stylized tiger with big eyes and a wide mouth containing little dagger-like teeth. The animals posture is rather stiff with four ball-shaped feet planted directly on the table connected to the main body by thick legs.

The only part she was truly happy with was the tail and the stripes which she had managed to make somewhat natural-looking.

"...well, I think it's finally ready." At least it looked like it wouldn't break apart inside the oven or whatever Dorota had planned to do with them next.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Fourth Tower Compound

"We don't need very much. Just enough to trap a particularly pernicious fey." Jim adds. Pernicious is definitely the word he'd use on this one.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Fourth Tower Compound]

"I'm willing to offer something in exchange, whether it be tools for sorcery, my knowledge as a former Wizard at Court, or my own precious materials. What of them I can offer, anyway," Sticks smiles disarmingly.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[A Meeting of Minds]

"Now I'm going to inscribe a simple motion rune, like what I used on Sizewell and his predecessor Horatio." Ambrosia wouldn't have met Horatio before. "Then I'll apply some of the dragon essence. And we'll see what happens."

With that, unless the two have anything to add, she does as she described with a small chisel and applies two drops of essence to each figurine.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

Shadowcaller wrote: Feb 02, 2024 12:58 pm [A Meeting of Minds]

Despite the details and effort the other two are putting in, Ambrosia will still finish last. While first going for something more realistic she eventually has to settle for a heavily stylized tiger with big eyes and a wide mouth containing little dagger-like teeth. The animals posture is rather stiff with four ball-shaped feet planted directly on the table connected to the main body by thick legs.

The only part she was truly happy with was the tail and the stripes which she had managed to make somewhat natural-looking.

"...well, I think it's finally ready." At least it looked like it wouldn't break apart inside the oven or whatever Dorota had planned to do with them next.
Morty wrote: Feb 04, 2024 7:16 pm [A Meeting of Minds]

"Now I'm going to inscribe a simple motion rune, like what I used on Sizewell and his predecessor Horatio." Ambrosia wouldn't have met Horatio before. "Then I'll apply some of the dragon essence. And we'll see what happens."

With that, unless the two have anything to add, she does as she described with a small chisel and applies two drops of essence to each figurine.
[A Meeting of Minds]

Utayo considers the following actions with interest. "I think I may have taken the term 'vessel' more literally than intended." She observes with just a hint of amusement in her voice. It's true that her carp's open mouth leads to a largely hollow interior.
Shadowcaller wrote: Feb 02, 2024 12:58 pm [Fourth Tower Compound]

"I find myself unable to recall what named you used for it at this very moment but it's commonly referred to as cold iron when in metal form, or dragon tears as liquid." That might be enough of a clue for Bontu to realize just what the satyr was talking about.

It did go by many names because it wasn't just one type of material. It was rather material that had gained spirit repellent properties after having been exposed to something which wasn't fully agreed on even to this day. Theories ranges from the remains of witches to the tears of dragons (hence the second name). More modern theories suggested it was likely to be something less tangible however. Whatever the case there was also different ranges of exposure.

Some exposed items were only dangerous to spirits while others, though especially deadly to the ensorcelled, could hurt just about anything alive that came close to it. Sometimes with adverse effects that could last a lifetime, however short that might be. Needless to say, the second variant wasn't something they kept around here as it was difficult to store.

However, they did have some of the first variant here as it functioned as a universal bane for every kind of spirit imaginable. Thus, it was also extremely valuable to the fourth tower and any warlock worth their salt. All other wards were specialized to a degree, only functioning against certain categories of spirits. Requiring the full spectrum of what they were taught here to use properly.

Thus spiritbane (or irridiated material if you wanted to get scientific) was mostly only used for the creation of safety rods (akin to fire extinguisher but for spirit-related emergencies) and other more unique items. A warlock that used spirit bane in a ward would commonly be seen as a complete amateur since it was basically admitting that you had no idea what you were dealing with and thus something you shouldn't deal with in the first place.

Of course, sometimes when summoning more experimental entities it was allowed though still not something warlocks, especially younger ones that were afraid of being seen as inexperienced, liked to admit using.
Keeper wrote: Feb 02, 2024 2:14 pm Fourth Tower Compound

"We don't need very much. Just enough to trap a particularly pernicious fey." Jim adds. Pernicious is definitely the word he'd use on this one.
Murkus wrote: Feb 03, 2024 10:02 pm [Fourth Tower Compound]

"I'm willing to offer something in exchange, whether it be tools for sorcery, my knowledge as a former Wizard at Court, or my own precious materials. What of them I can offer, anyway," Sticks smiles disarmingly.
[Fourth Tower Compound]

Bontu arches her brow at this. "There's generally other ways to handle such problems." She shrugs, though. "But you're not asking for my suggestions. If you're set on this, you can certainly take your request to Vax." Though she suspects Vax would be far less willing to wave away further inquiry.

"Come, I'll take you." Bontu gestures for them to follow. She leads them out of the room with the deck, and to the door in the center of the main foyer. Through it is a small chamber with one of the teleportation pads that Halo employs. She instructs them where to stand, and suddenly they're a fair distance from where they were just a moment ago. The new room is likewise small, but has stone walls rather than the metal paneling in the undersea facility. The next thing they're sure to notice is the drastic shift in temperature and humidity. It's warm and humid wherever they are.

They exist this small room to another foyer, with similar aesthetics to the one they left behind. This one has a tile circle on its floor, however, and murals on the walls. It's also open to the outside through a large arch. They can catch a glimpse of an open, cobble courtyard with a large tree blocking much of their direct line of sight otherwise. They can certainly see the open ocean beyond it in the distance, though.

Bontu spares to attention to this space, however. She guides to a door that leads directly into an upward spiraling staircase. They head upward for a few floors before exiting and navigating to what appears to be a cozy sitting area with a large window. "Please wait here." She instructs. Then she knocks on a nearby door, waits a moment, and slips inside.
~Images by Soushiyo
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Fourth Tower Compound

A slightly awkward silence reigns as they’re left alone without much to do. Jim leans over to Jaahlyn.
”So…ARE there normally other ways to do this sort of thing?” he asks her quietly.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[A Meeting of Minds]

Ambrosia has been occasionally glancing at Utayo's carp as it comes into being and now that they're finally finished she had the chance to ask something that had been on her mind.
"Do you by any chance know a legend about a carp that swam up a waterfall and became a dragon?" Since Ambrosia did identify with that story even if she must assuredly had never been a carp.

Anyone even suggesting that would be eaten.

Dorota will find that the essence doesn't behave quite like other material. Since while at first it indeed seems to be liquid as it trails down the chisel the moment the drop separates from the tool it starts to float upwards. Still behaving like liquid but now as if there had been no gravity as it slowly starts to move in the direction of the orb.

Noticing this, the dragon scholar looks up. "Oh yes, it does that. It strives to return. It might be better to try to apply it more directly or placing the orb on the sculptures."

If Dorota does either of those things the not-liquid seems to seep into the clay of their sculptures. Starting to turn them the same shade of purple as the dragons scales over the span of a few minutes. But as they observe this happening they can also see that it isn't just changing the clay's color. It leaves traces of scales and feathers drawn into the clay as it slowly continues to change.

"Are you noting this down?" Ambrosia asks, perhaps unnecessarily considering the company she's in.

Fourth Tower Compound

Jaahlyn gives Jim a shrug as soon as she's sure they're out of earshot. Though she still leans in before she replies. "Ehh, she was talking about banes I think. It's like... instead of threatening someone with a knife you do research to find out they're cheating with their wife and then threaten them with black mail." She supposed that metaphor would do.

"As in you find out about something which only work against one specific fey. But it requires a lot of special knowledge and might not even work the way you want to."

The satyr looks back in the direction Bontu left. "But I suppose there's still the option of hiring these people instead of our current plan. We could always bring it up when we're talking to them. But I doubt it would be cheap though."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[A Meeting of Minds]

Dorota indeed already has a notepad in her hand.

"That's a lot more... organic than I was expecting," she admits.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Entrance Hall]

There's a young woman - more of a teen really, though her curves are significantly more developed than most teens - standing here, looking at the entire place around her in bewildered, frustrated awe. At the moment, she's wearing a pair of jeans that hug her hips, a pair of sturdy combat boots, and a sweater cut to show off cleavage, and the outfit can't fully mask the athletic body hiding underneath. Seems she appreciates looks. She also clearly isn't sure what to make of HALO, and she's pacing about as if she's trying to decide what to do.

Perhaps someone could come and help her.
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Entrance Hall

After a couple of minutes, someone walks by. A bulky shark-person of average human height, eyes and tiger-shark-stripes glowing softly. From the towel, trunks, and damp look he's been in a pool recently.
"Oh, hiya. You new around here? I can give you directions." asks Henry Vadnova. His eyes don't seem to be wandering, but given that they are little blue lights in empty sockets it's hard to tell.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Entrance Hall]

Ah! Someone to ask for help! She looks quite relieved when Henry approaches her "Ah, yes! I was asked to come here and speak to someone named Artie, but all I know about her is that she's here in HALO and has a figure like mine," Skye lays a hand on top of her chest to indicate exactly what she meant.
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.