Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

For free floating plots that wish to be separated from specific locales.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Re: Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

Post by Ironsmith »

[Aiko's Bad Day]

Bloodplunder Residence

Koko giggles and covers her nose as Nana boops it, her cheeks darkening in response to the positive attention. Aw! She knew Nana felt that way about her!

The momentary levity fades away enough for her to rejoin the conversation soon after, though. "Well, the whole split felt... weird." She begins. "When I woke up, I felt all hot. Not hot like hot hot, hot like our solarium in July hot." She giggles. "It went away pretty quickly, though. And... well, weirdly enough I didn't wake up where I fell asleep. So maybe that was the magic I was feeling."

She turns her attention back to the elf. "...If you promise it won't hurt, I'll let you try." She says after a moment.

Brignole Manor

"That will be the succubus who refused to come with us, yes." Aiai nods. "That was our hypothesis already, was it not? Babaz?"

"Essentially, yes." The old woman rubs her thumb against her chin. "...Asami presents an intriguing possibility. That would imply that, on some level, Aiko sees herself as... well, me." She gestures down at herself. "An elderly woman in a youthful body. And, for whatever reason, she ascribed her logical and athletic abilities to me." Her gaze flickers over to Aiai. "...Simultaneously, it would suggest that somewhere in her psyche, she has a more-or-less accurate self-perception, considering one of us manifested as her without any notable divergences. Which would be the biggest hole in that theory; the existence of Koko and I suggests she believes additional things about herself that are not, strictly speaking, true, in addition to an otherwise clear picture of herself."

"That does not sound right." Aiai frowns, crossing her arms. "At my fullest, I am more than capable of solving a sudoku."

"...Also true." Babaz concedes. "It presents an intriguing wrinkle nonetheless."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

Brignole Manor
Both Mary and Sekhmet stare at Asami's seeming digression, not comprehending a word of it; the context of video games, let alone that specific game, is mostly lost on them. Fortunately Babaz is there to weed out the important points.
"It's plausible. Self-perception plays a large role in mental magic. But we can't be fully sure until I've seen all of you. Sometimes aspects of oneself really are just fundamentally different in some way." Sekhmet knows that firsthand.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Morty wrote: Apr 16, 2024 6:57 pm [On the Dragons' Trail]

Finding information about the wood-dragons has proven surprisingly difficult. They're either elusive or no one has taken the time to study them in-depth. The danger they present might have been a factor. However, Ambrosia does eventually get a name: one magister Esterchaze Pouver, a dwarf sorcerer and academic.

It appears that his last known location is a small library that's a branch of a large university, located in a town inhabited by short folk with abundant and curly hair. However, should Ambrosia go there, she'll only find a bored-looking woman with dark skin and tattooed face, reading a book.
[On the Dragons' Trail]

When she was getting around on her own plane (a term she hadn't really used before meeting Utayo) she rode like any other traveler. There she was a person of importance after all. Her suddenly moving across wast distances in little to no time at all would stand out. No matter how small the village was the discrepancy would be noticed eventually.

Not to mention that the fey was always watching in one way or the other.

But in the nexus people didn't seem to consider it odd that you simply walked into a settlement in the middle of nowhere looking like you had just gotten ready for a parade. Her armor had just been cleaned and so was the rest of her which was something she was forced to do every time she had to move her human body anywhere quickly. People usually didn't like being interviewed by someone covered in dragon saliva.

Still, she got cleaned and she ultimately saved a lot of time (and money) by flying rather than riding or getting chauffeured around by someone. Though she had considered the benefits of having Thariza doing just that.
But not this time as this was somewhat time sensitive research.

Which was why not seeing the person she was looking for right away was more of a concern than it usually would.
"Hello, I'm looking for a magister Pouver?" Hopefully he was just not here at the moment.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

Aiko's Bad Day

Bloodplunder Residence

"Ahh... yeah, my Wizards are a little unusual. I don't think it's a good idea to get them too involved in this," says Darko quickly, smiling politely at George. He doesn't want to go into the details right now, but the Aiko situation seems pretty delicate already without bringing in any of his friends.

He was going to volunteer to have Daisybloom demonstrate her magic on him, but it sounds like Koko is going to be brave about it. Still, maybe she'll feel better if she has the option. "I'm sure you'll be okay! But if it would make you feel better, they could do the spell on me first. I'm good at being a guinea pig." It's true! The Wizards have tested all kinds of things on him.

The fact that the split happened while they were asleep is also intriguing. He wonders if it could have been something done too them, instead of a spontaneous effect. Hm...
horses can attack and eat me
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Halae »

Rebonack wrote: Mar 20, 2024 4:47 am [Undertree Manor]

As Skye is winding up, Lex takes another deep breath and blasts a wave of freezing vapor out of his mouth again! It isn't quite as spectacular as the first batch since he had just chugged the potion. This is just the leftovers. But it should still be enough to freeze the mummy's feet to the ground right before it has a chance to try to dodge Skye's incoming attack!

Sure enough, the one-two punch (of which only one is an actual punch) turns out great! The mummy gets sealed to the ground right as Skye swings, making a dodge nearly impossible. Skye strikes with enough force to spin the mummy's head clear around backwards! Typically this would be lethal but we're talking an undead fae here. Now unable to see, it makes a few wild sword swings that probably won't accomplish much.
[Undertree Manor]

Inside one of those wild swings, Skye steps forward, behind the blade to grasp his arm. Then, she'll sweep the leg to bring him to the ground, and thrust a punch surrounded by essence into his neck, the power of it allowing her to puncture flesh as if she was using a spear. This really should be the kill they need here.
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[On the Dragons' Trail]

The woman looks up at Ambrosia. She's short, a rare person shorter than her human body that she gets to meet. She has odd eyes, with brown irises but deep blue sclera, flitting this way and that frequently. Her features are angular and her skin has a strangely earthen texture to it, while her dark blue hair looks to be stiff and sleek.

"He is here, but he doesn't like to be disturbed. What is it you need from him?" she asks in the tone of someone who finally sees something interesting happen.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by [brackets lover] »

[Aiko's Bad Day]

Brignole Manor

"Uh... Asami mutters nervously, "So, should we just wait for them to decide to come? I'm... not a very patient person." Demonstrably, Asami begins twiddling her thumbs as her gaze wanders.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Aiko's Bad Day Bloodplunder Residence

"If it hurts you, your Nana will throw me out, and if I'm lucky she'll aim for a window. George won't stop her, either." Lathalelle smiles, and isn't at all worried about the possibility of being hurled out via a wall.
"Oh, I'd aim for the window. Walls are harder to replace, more expensive." Nana smiles and pats Koko reassuringly. Lathalelle Daisybloom is not, however, reassured, as she starts to hum, and weaves her magic around Koko. The divination isn't very deep; anything that affects the whole of Koko should still be detected, as it brushes against her skin, and also any magical connections will be found as well. Regardless of what it finds, a simple tune will play; exactly what that tune is will tell Lathalelle what the magic has found.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Morty wrote: Apr 19, 2024 8:38 pm [On the Dragons' Trail]

The woman looks up at Ambrosia. She's short, a rare person shorter than her human body that she gets to meet. She has odd eyes, with brown irises but deep blue sclera, flitting this way and that frequently. Her features are angular and her skin has a strangely earthen texture to it, while her dark blue hair looks to be stiff and sleek.

"He is here, but he doesn't like to be disturbed. What is it you need from him?" she asks in the tone of someone who finally sees something interesting happen.
[On the Dragons' Trail]

How unfortunate that she was in a bit of a hurry and had little time for small-talk.
"I'm a scholar here to discuss some academic matters with him. Unfortunately he's not expecting me so I'm showing up out of the blue. But if he's preoccupied I can wait. I've come a long way to see him so I don't mind."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[On the Dragons' Trail]

"Hmm. Well, we can go ask him. I should check on him anyway." The dwarf woman gets off her chair. "Follow me, Mrs...?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[On the Dragons' Trail]

"Ambrosia Ithil." She replies.
Ambrosia could be subtle but stealth was not something she possessed in any great capacity.
She figured the name might help her more than hinder her right now, since trying to avoid attention as the only human among dwarves while dressed like this was an exercise in futility.

"And you?" She adds while following who didn't seem to be Esterchaze secretary. This woman might assist him in some capacity but it wasn't as a bookkeeper. A bodyguard perhaps?
Morty

Post by Morty »

[On the Dragons' Trail]

"Shayna Gleeveck," is the dwarf's reply as she leads Ambrosia upstairs. This building is definitely made with dwarves in mind, but it shouldn't trouble Ambrosia too much. Once upstairs, she knocks on a door in the middle of the hallway, but there's no response. Then, someone passes by carrying a stack of papers. Unlike Shayna, this one has a slight build and quite a lot of hair, both curly human-like hair and a more animal-like coat.

"Have you seen the professor?"

"Uh, no. Not since morning. He said he wants to check something and left..."

"Oh, no. He must have gone wandering again." Shayna looks up at Ambrosia as the other person quickly departs. "If you wish to speak with him, you should probably come with me as I try to find him."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[On the Dragons' Trail]

Ambrosia was used to being too large to fit into places but usually she would be able to shrink to accommodate. Not so much in her human body though unfortunately.
But she honestly didn't mind having this problem as a human for once as long as it was manageable.

She imagined this what it would be like visiting a vanara home on her own plane. Something she really ought to do at some point.
But this didn't seem to be the right time for such idle thoughts as her guide, Shayna, couldn't find him. "Is this something that happens a lot?" She inquires, readying herself for another trip outdoors. "He wouldn't be the first scholar of nature that take extended hikes."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Aiko's Bad Day]

Brignole Manor

"...It would seem so." Babaz nods. "Absent any method of bringing her here, that would be our default course of action."

"And I would presume that means we will be here for, at a minimum, the next several hours?" Aiai prompts.

"If Her Majesty will have us, yes." The old woman nods. "I already see where you are going with this. There is a conspicuous lack of serving staff at this domicile, which in turn implies any prepared meals are prepared by either Her Highness herself or her consort, in which case..."

"In which case I must insist on, at a minimum, assisting you." Aiai finishes. "To do otherwise would be to presume more of an intrusion on your hospitality than is necessary. Consider it a gesture of gratitude for your assistance."

Bloodplunder Residence

As the spell is cast, Koko grabs Darko's arm for support; she's trying to be brave, but she still doesn't know if it will hurt.

Fortunately, it doesn't seem to cause any actual harm. There's a light orange flush running through her body, starting with the part of it nearest Lathelelle's hands and traveling around to the other side. Apart from her skin suddenly feeling a little warm, there's no indication of discomfort.

The divination reveals two things. First, her succubine anatomy isn't entirely natural; it's a magically-created addition, brought on through the use of succubus essence. And second, she has three strong metaphysical connections to entities that aren't currently present, two of which seem to be practically identical in nature.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[On the Dragons' Trail]

"It does, yes." Shayna sighs. "He's a cliff-folk sorcerer, they tend to get a bit spacey in their old age. One of my jobs is to track him down now and then. It'll be easier if he used any sorcery out there. Let me just get my coat." Shayna will step inside another room and emerge wearing a long, somewhat tattered heavy coat with a collar.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Aiko's Bad Day

Bloodplunder Residence

Darko is happy to provide Koko some emotional support as the spell is cast. He can't help but watch with interest as Lathalelle weaves their magic. It's always fascinating to see how other magicians work, especially the way they do so intentionally. Anytime Darko does magic, it's unintentional or subconscious, and it just... happens.

As the magic fades, he smiles reassuringly at his friend. "See, Koko? That wasn't so bad, right?"
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Aiko's Bad Day Bloodplunder Residence

"Other two, you said? I'm picking up three connections. Although two are extremely similar. Your current appearance is... an additional effect, and may not be truly related to your condition. " Weaving her hands through the air and whistling a continuation of the spell, Lathalelle tries to determine direction and potentially distance to the others connected in this way, though it's not accurate and she's not actually done something like this before- she's improvising. The magic in question shouldn't hurt Koko, but if it travels along the connections far enough it may be noticed by Babaz and Aiai.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Brignole Manor
"You're welcome to stay here," Sekhmet confirms, but then the Aikos start talking about helping with dinner. "Absolutely not! It wouldn't be proper for guests to do housework," she counters. "Maybe let her have this one, mum," Mary replies, "You do so much work already and she's very stubborn."
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by [brackets lover] »

[Brignole Manor]

Asami scratches the back of her head as she awkwardly looks to the side. "Aiko-senpai has a surprisingly poor understanding of social conventions, Sekhmet-sama. Its why all the misinformation campaigns she made to counter the protests failed so spectacularly." She clicks her tongue and raises a finger to her chin, looking towards Aiai. "Come to think of it, is there anything you're good at, Aiai-senpai?" Asami asks thoughtlessly, having only intended to have asked if Aiai gained any abilities as a result of the split.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Aiko's Bad Day]

Bloodplunder Residence

"...I guess not." Koko beams, but her smile fades a little as the spell continues. She's still trying to put on a brave face, but it becomes increasingly clear she's agitated as she starts scratching at her arms, trying to get at the glowing, itching spots that seem to cover the entirety of her skin.

The direction of the first two connections, and the distance to them, seem to be very similar; wherever they are, miles and miles from here, they're very likely together, at least within a hundred feet of one another.

The third, however, is... less consistent. East, three kilometers. Then northwest, ten kilometers. South, two centimeters. North by northwest, eight hundred kilometers. Five kilometers below current elevation.

Zero meters.

...But there's nothing else here. The spell must not be working entirely properly with this last connection, for whatever reason.

Brignole Manor

"Oh. I understand." Aiai gives Sekhmet a polite bow. "If that is how you would have things done here, so be it."

"Be that as it may," Babaz begins. "Your Highness, while that may be an admirable blanket policy, if it is your intention to extend a sense of hospitality toward us, it may be worth considering that refusing to allow Her Imminence to help you with the preparation of the evening meal may be counterproductive to that end. Aiai is at her most comfortable when she is doing something which instills a sense of progress. Leaving her to wait may be the most uncomfortable you could make her, short of open hostility."

"...Babaz, I appreciate the thought, but this is Her Highness's home, not ours." Aiai frowns. "If my assistance would violate her sense of propriety, then I will simply have to cope with the difference in protocol."

"...I see. I was merely-"

"Speaking for me out of turn." Aiai finishes for her, her cheeks flaring orange. "Which I would suggest you not do again."

"...Of course." Babaz gives a small nod to her counterpart, taking back her seat.

Aiai then turns her attention to Asami, raising an eyebrow. "...There are a great many things at which our gestalt form excels." She begins, her voice remaining level despite the immediately-preceding incident. "Some of which must have transferred to me, or have been derived from me. Babaz seems to have inherited much of our actual ability, but there must be a few things which she did not."

"...Following the pattern, it seems likely that you may have inherited our sense of taste, Your Grace." Babaz interjects. "As would follow from having strong opinions of how things should and should not be."

"...Perhaps." Aiai stiffens. "I see no purpose or means of confirming that."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Aiko's Bad Day

Bloodplunder Residence

Darko has no way of knowing what exactly the magic is learning, and he stands nervously watching at it continues. Meanwhile, he's thinking about Lathalelle said. Three connections? In a way it makes sense- everyone assumed it was three, since that's a number with significance and only three pieces of Aiko have been found. But if there's a fourth part, then that has to be the key to understanding this situation, and possibly fixing it.

But it looks like Koko isn't doing too hot. Darko gently takes her arm, both to reassure her and to prevent her from scratching herself too hard. "It's nearly over, you're okay," he murmurs, glancing over at Lathalelle. How much longer? he mouths at them.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Morty wrote: Apr 23, 2024 2:59 pm [On the Dragons' Trail]

"It does, yes." Shayna sighs. "He's a cliff-folk sorcerer, they tend to get a bit spacey in their old age. One of my jobs is to track him down now and then. It'll be easier if he used any sorcery out there. Let me just get my coat." Shayna will step inside another room and emerge wearing a long, somewhat tattered heavy coat with a collar.
[On the Dragons' Trail]

Cliff-folk sorcerer? Interesting.

"Of course, take your time." Ambrosia declares as the dwarf goes to prepare.
She had to consider if this could be dangerous now but that seemed a bit far-fetched. Since how far from town could he have gone by foot in such a short time? It wasn't like when she 'went for a walk' and ended up a thousand miles away in just a few hours.

But as she considers that Shayna returns.
"By your leave then. Assuming you'd allow a scholar tagging along."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[On the Dragons' Trail]

Shayna's relative calm and lack of weapon does suggest it's more of an inconvenience than a danger.

"I'm a scholar too, so that makes two of us."

On their way out, she asks another dwarf, who looks somewhat more like her, about which direction Esterchaze went. The answer seems to give her enough to work with, so she goes through the door.

Once outside, she heads outside the town, into a valley that turns into a maze of narrow cliffs and rocks. She takes a few sniffs at the air.

"No sorcery yet. But maybe I can find some tracks. Give me a moment."

As the dwarf crouches down to examine the ground, Ambrosia will have a moment to take in the scenery. It's eerily quiet. Not even animals can be heard.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[On the Dragons' Trail]

"Oh, my apologies. When you said your job was to track him down I made some assumptions." Though given the range of scholars she had meet in the nexus she really shouldn't have. "Scholars where I'm from usually travel around with a 'handler' of some sort." They weren't necessarily bodyguards but traveling alone was just considered impractical or even dangerous, especially if you were a woman.

Shayna defied that perception as much as she did though, that much was clear even before she started tracking what seemed to be a scent. Curious.

"Is it usually this quiet out here?" She inquires as they've found themselves out in the wilderness. It seemed a bit odd but she was new to the area.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[On the Dragons' Trail]

"Usually, yes." Shayna straightens up and starts walking again. "It's a pretty barren place. The locals consider it bad luck. And I'm certainly more of a hands-on scholar. Field researcher, you could say. Combed through many ruins in my day. From the looks of you, you're similar."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[On the Dragons' Trail]

Well, at least that's not an immediate cause of concern then.

"I don't know about combing through any ruins. That sort of thing is considered taboo where I'm from. But yes, I am hardly your standard scholar either. Though in my case it's more about dissuading the occasional bandit."

Which was... somewhat true.

"But it does also get easier to travel through the outdoors, that much is true." She seems to study Shayna for a moment. "I take it that you're more of a scholar of the natural world then? Or is it history?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

[On the Dragons' Trail]

"History, mostly. But I do dabble in naturalism, if only by the merit of how far I've traveled." Shayna leads Ambrosia onto a path between two cliffs. There's a visible set of tracks in the muddy ground between them. "And you? What do you want to ask the professor about?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[On the Dragons' Trail]

"Dragons. Wood dragons in this instance. Though as you would know, the job involves a lot more than just studying." Though probably not the same thing. In reality, most of her job would involve traveling around trying to confirm ancestry claims to dragons among various noble families.

Bribes were basically legal in this line of work though one usually had to at least keep up the appearance of work to give the claim legitimacy.

"Is it true like I've heard that he's studied them more than anyone else?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

[On the Dragons' Trail]

"As far as I know, yeah." Shayna scratches her cheek as she bends down to observe the tracks more closely. "Them and other fey monsters. He'll probably be glad you're asking. He's got a reputation of an eccentric for being so interested in them. I don't see why they're not a valid object of study but you know how people get."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[On the Dragons' Trail]

"Do you know why they're called wood dragons? Since the name seems to be something of a misnomer taxonomically speaking. Usually my interests only align with the so-called 'true' dragons." Ambrosia inquires, not that it would be strangest name they could have considering what they looked like.

"And scholars getting interested in their subjects is hardly the strangest thing." She agrees.