GLoG

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: GLoG

Post by bc56 »

Cabin Confrontation
Sekhmet doesn't really want to show off her boobs either. They're bigger, but she's keeping them covered. "Yes." To demonstrate, her chest visibly shrinks down closer to the size Anika expected. "You still haven't answered my questions. Who are you and why are you calling me an imposter?"
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Forest Practice

In a small clearing, with bits of string spread out in rough circles upon the ground, is a girl. She's eighteen, with black hair brushing past her shoulders, green eyes and skin tanned by time spent outdoors. She's wearing a pair of jeans and a purple hoody, with a pair of sturdy boots on her feet. Sat on a tree stump nearby is a battered red rucksack with signs of careful repair. The girl has her back to the rucksack, and is standing in front of one of the rough string circles as she inhales, exhales, and gestures. Red symbols flare into existence around her, hearts and clubs, diamonds and spades, and the rucksack disappears from the stump and appears in the circle in front of her.

Left behind on the stump, however, are a pile of books, a pencil case, and several other bits and pieces.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Cabin Confrontation

Anika stares in wonder at Sekhmet's boobs.

Huh.

Well, that just seemed like cheating to her.

But what about those other changes then? Could she just change her entire body in any way she wanted and she choose to yet she looked like-

Anika supposed she didn't look too bad.

"But you always looked the same when you visited VIGIL though." Or at least all the times Anika had checked. Since she had done her research. "Since that's where I'm from, VIGIL. You were always concerned about other demons running you over so that's why I figured 'oh, she looks different, that must mean she's actually an infiltrator pretending to be Sekhmet'. Since that's what demons do. They disguise themselves as friendly people just to get close enough to corrupt you. Awful creatures- uh, no offense." She scratches the back of her head. "But now you're saying that you could always change your boob-size and your other looks? Crazy."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Keeper wrote: Oct 20, 2022 4:12 pm By the Lake

"But that's not the same!" Kol complains.
"The reel is the fun part! Besides, my claws are so big I'd just pulp it anyway." And then he'd probably have to just eat it there because the fish would be in two pieces in his claws.
his dragon instincts say that's perfectly fine and he's not sure how to feel about that.
[By the Lake]

Braeg frowns at that, throwing the fish back into the lake behind him. What kind of dragon would prefer fly fishing to catching something in his own claws?

Unless... he's new to this?

"...How old are you, master dragon?"
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

By the Lake

"Thirteen and seven months. Why? Could you tell from my voice?"
Kol's voice sounds young by dragon standards but it's pretty deep by the perspective of smaller people.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Cabin Confrontation
Sekhmet sighs again. "Were you secretly watching me the entire time I was at vigil?" That's creepy. "Yes, I can change my appearance. No, I'm not worried about being 'run over' now that my mother is gone. My business with vigil is just that, business, so I use a form appropriate to that setting." She shifts so that her appearance matches the way she usually looks on business, much more serious and formal.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Cabin Confrontation

"What?! No!" Anika protests loudly as she crosses her arms over her chest. "I was never even in the base while you were there. I just got shown a couple of photos of you when I asked what you looked like and you looked the same in all of them." She explains. "But didn't you need help to keep the throne or something? Since I don't think VIGIL can help you with anything else. We fight stuff don't do-" The druid waves her hand. "-whatever 'business' means. Since it sounds like money exchange or something boring like that."

She pauses.

Where was she going with this again?

Oh right, it was a question.

"Uh- I'm Anika by the way."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Cabin Confrontation
"Nowadays it's the other way around. I, uh, help vigil more than you help me. Mostly I pass along useful information." Once her position on the throne solidified, keeping it became more about diplomacy and less about being able to call a crack squad of demon hunters in case of rebellion. "My mother's cult is still out there, and while they, uh, don't venerate me in the same way, I occasionally learn about their activities." That's not all though. "I've also been, uh, consulting with some of your science staff about, uh, bringing my kingdom up to date with, uh, modern technology." There. It's all boring and mundane stuff. Business, like she said.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[By the Lake]

Braeg stares at Kol for a moment, a look of unbridled skepticism on his face. "...Thirteen years?" He echoes. That's nothing! This dragon is practically an infant! At least in terms of dragons. He might as well have been born yesterday.

"...Small wonder." Braeg smirks and gestures out to the water. "Try it, then. You can do with your bare hands what most humans need finely-crafted tools to accomplish. Why wouldn't you take advantage of that?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

By the Lake

Kol seems hesitant but relents, peering out over the water. Within two minutes there’s a flash of purple claws, a splash of blood, and a fish has tumbled down Kol’s gullet before even he knows what’s happening.
”…I still think I’d rather have done it the usual way. The folks and Kunani knows how to cook fish. Trust me.”
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Cabin Confrontation

In retrospect, it would seem odd that a infiltrator would pick GloG of all places to spy on. Like, what kind of information would they even steal here? A secret baby formula?

So maybe she was telling the truth... which suddenly made this all the more awkward.
Maybe she could just try to move past the whole 'accuse you of being an evil doppelganger' thing by changing the subject?

"Uh... kingdom? But I thought you lived in a place called 'hell'? Since the only times I heard that word is when people are describing a totally awful place. Sounds like you ought to change the name."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Keeper wrote: Oct 22, 2022 12:20 pm By the Lake

Kol seems hesitant but relents, peering out over the water. Within two minutes there’s a flash of purple claws, a splash of blood, and a fish has tumbled down Kol’s gullet before even he knows what’s happening.
”…I still think I’d rather have done it the usual way. The folks and Kunani knows how to cook fish. Trust me.”
[By the Lake]

Braeg raises an eyebrow as he watches the dragon fish, a slow smile working its way across his mouth. "...Interesting." He mumbles to himself.

The fiendling steps forward, reaching into his pocket and fiddling with its contents. "...Do you gamble, master dragon?" He asks, taking a seat on a nearby tree stump. "I happen to have a set of knucklebones with me. What would you say to a friendly game?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

By the Lake

Kol takes a few steps so he's (mostly) out of the water and sits down facing Braeg.
"I play games sometimes but most of the time people don't want to play with me for very long. I usually win and they think I'm cheating. So I never actually bet anything."
That and he's 13 he doesn't really have much to wager.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[By the Lake]

"I assure you, you won't have that problem with me." Braeg smiles and produces said knuckles; eight in total, each marked on four sides with a series of numbers; one, three, four, and six. As he holds them out, an earthen slab slowly rises out of the ground between them, carrying with it a pair of cups; one regular-sized, the other closer to a bucket, and more suited for Kol to handle.

"The rules are quite simple." Braeg explains, dumping four of the bones into the cup on his side of the table. "At the beginning of the game, we each put forth a wager, roll our bones, and conceal them in these cups. We then take turns either upping the wager, bowing out of the game, or ending it, one way or another, by checking the bones. If you bow out, all you have wagered before that point is forfeit. As for the bones, they are scored based on the numbers that are shown along their tops when the cups are lifted; the higher the total, the better the roll... with two exceptions. The first is that all four showing the same number is the worst possible roll; all ones being the worst of the worst. The second is that a roll consisting of one of each number beats everything else. In the event of a tie, we simply roll again."

"Now, whereas I see no money on you, and I have little use for such things..." Braeg reaches into another pocket and produces a pair of parchments, offering one to Kol. "I propose instead that we wager secrets. Write something down on the parchment, and I will do the same. If you win, I show you what I have written. If you win, you show me yours. You are not compelled to part with any information you would rather not, of course, though I should note the game is no fun if there is no risk." Braeg smirks. "And whenever we would normally simply wager more money, instead, we... elaborate, on the nature of our chosen secrets. We cannot change their value, but we can tempt each other with it." The fiendling shrugs and folds his parchment in half. "...There's a word for this, among the civilized folk. They call a game such as this a..." He snaps his fingers repeatedly as he tries to conjure the term in his mind. "...An icebreaker, I believe."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Cabin Confrontation
"Well yes, it is an awful place," Sekhmet replies matter-of-factly. "I'm trying to make it better, but in the meantime, I'd rather raise my children here, where it's safe." That answers part of the question, "My kingdom, the Scorching Depths, is a part of a larger Hell, which is one of many."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

By the Lake

Kol looks down at the conjured table. Oh boy, a magic fancy rich guy. Maybe as a giant mythical lizard he isn't one to talk anymore. But it still manages to make this Braeg guy seem...well. Kol wouldn't say bad. He just kind of...sounds kind of greasy. But maybe that's just the fancy-do way he talks. Mary doesn't talk like that and she's a princess.
"Okay, I guess. But I don't really know you so I'm not going to write down anything crazy personal." But he could go into one or two things that he wouldn't mind a stranger knowing.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Keeper wrote: Oct 23, 2022 2:21 am By the Lake

Kol looks down at the conjured table. Oh boy, a magic fancy rich guy. Maybe as a giant mythical lizard he isn't one to talk anymore. But it still manages to make this Braeg guy seem...well. Kol wouldn't say bad. He just kind of...sounds kind of greasy. But maybe that's just the fancy-do way he talks. Mary doesn't talk like that and she's a princess.
"Okay, I guess. But I don't really know you so I'm not going to write down anything crazy personal." But he could go into one or two things that he wouldn't mind a stranger knowing.
[By the Lake]

"Of course not." Braeg smiles and gives his cup a little shake, turning it over onto the table, all ready for the first wager. "This one will, likewise, be relatively benign." He adds, scribbling a little note on his parchment before turning it over. "Your move, master dragon."
Earl of Purple wrote: Oct 21, 2022 5:37 pm Forest Practice

In a small clearing, with bits of string spread out in rough circles upon the ground, is a girl. She's eighteen, with black hair brushing past her shoulders, green eyes and skin tanned by time spent outdoors. She's wearing a pair of jeans and a purple hoody, with a pair of sturdy boots on her feet. Sat on a tree stump nearby is a battered red rucksack with signs of careful repair. The girl has her back to the rucksack, and is standing in front of one of the rough string circles as she inhales, exhales, and gestures. Red symbols flare into existence around her, hearts and clubs, diamonds and spades, and the rucksack disappears from the stump and appears in the circle in front of her.

Left behind on the stump, however, are a pile of books, a pencil case, and several other bits and pieces.
[Forest Practice]

What a well-arranged display of sundry items.

It would be a shame if someone were to... mess it up.

"Someone" in this case being a large, grey lagomorph, which is fleeing in a panic from a figure running after it on all fours. The creature in question seems to be vaguely humanoid, but aside from the fact that it's wearing tattered clothing, there's no indication that it's sapient. It doesn't even seem to be bothered by the fact that it has to run right by the girl's practice area to get after its prey.

For better or for worse, it manages to close the distance a few meters away, pouncing on the hare and sinking its teeth into the unfortunate creature. It begins feasting immediately, mauling the still-living mammal viciously.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

By the Lake

It’s difficult for Kol but he’s able to use a talon to write a message on the paper and start rattling his own bucket sized cup.
”I’m ready, I think,”
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Cabin Confrontation

"Okay, but isn't it supposed to be awful since it's meant to punish people?" Anika inquires, confused. "So if you make it not awful wouldn't it cease to be hell?" Frankly that whole concept confused her.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Cabin Confrontation
"Uh..." That's a very difficult question. "I don't know. But I don't want to spend the rest of eternity torturing people, even if they do deserve it." Sekhmet's too nice to be a demon queen. "If they repent for what they've done, why not rehabilitate them?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Cabin Confrontation

Hooray! Her subject changing maneuver worked!
"Why would a person ever deserve to be tortured? If they're bad just punch them out is what I say." Permanently if they were really dangerous. "But yeah, that re-ha-bill thing is cool too." The druid gestures at Sekhmet.

A beat.

"Wait, so are people getting turned into demons when they enter your hell?"
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Cabin Confrontation
"That's, uh... Sekhmet's not sure what to think of that. It's somehow both incredibly naïve and strangely practical. "...An interesting view. I don't entirely disagree, but the existence of hells means that, uh, some very powerful beings do." Thankfully there's another question.
"A, uh, very small minority. Maybe one or two out of ten thousand?" Sekhmet doesn't do any kind of statistics about the incoming souls, so she can only guess. "Only the most powerful and wicked can spontaneously become demons."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Forest Practice

The rabbit and its pursuer are enough to distract Natalie, and she turns around in time to see the former contents of her rucksack knocked over and scattered and then someone on all fours runs through and manages to catch and start to eat the aforementioned rabbit.

It might be a hare; unlike Earl, Natalie does not know the difference.

She'll step back and gestures to one side as more red symbols- all card suites- coalesce in the air around her and with a damp splat a large creature appears between her and the eater. It's rather ungainly-looking, with a large shell like that of a whelk, from which emerges a soft body with a hard exoskeleton at the bottom, supporting a group of crab-like legs and small crustacean claws. From the front is a soft head with a group of tentacles drooping down from its face and large eyes, a spike emerging from the front of its head. The kraken hatchling turns to face the... person eating the lagomorph, as Natalie stays still and watches.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Cabin Confrontation

"I mean, once you punched them out you can lock them up and do the rehabill-thing. Help them out." Anika clarifies with a nod.

But there something that she latches on to when Sekhmet reveals that not everyone is a demon in hell. "Wait, so there's a whole bunch of people just trapped down there? Can't you let them out if you don't think they deserve all that? Or invite priests, paladins or whatever people do the billitating-thing."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Cabin Confrontation
"Not really. They're, uh, not really able to come back. They're not alive, they'd need to be revived and, uh, given bodies, and usually that means, uh, turning them into demons." That's one problem. "And there are millions of them. Too many to just release on the world." Sekhmet has apparently thought this through.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Earl of Purple wrote: Oct 23, 2022 4:57 pm Forest Practice

The rabbit and its pursuer are enough to distract Natalie, and she turns around in time to see the former contents of her rucksack knocked over and scattered and then someone on all fours runs through and manages to catch and start to eat the aforementioned rabbit.

It might be a hare; unlike Earl, Natalie does not know the difference.

She'll step back and gestures to one side as more red symbols- all card suites- coalesce in the air around her and with a damp splat a large creature appears between her and the eater. It's rather ungainly-looking, with a large shell like that of a whelk, from which emerges a soft body with a hard exoskeleton at the bottom, supporting a group of crab-like legs and small crustacean claws. From the front is a soft head with a group of tentacles drooping down from its face and large eyes, a spike emerging from the front of its head. The kraken hatchling turns to face the... person eating the lagomorph, as Natalie stays still and watches.
[Forest Practice]

splat

The rabbit-eating creature stops in its tracks and slowly starts to turn to face Natalie, red drippings still rolling down its chin as it fixes its... very much human gaze on her. In fact, once he stands up and wipes some of the hare off his face, he very clearly stops looking like a feral, vaguely-humanoid monster and more like a teenage boy.

"...Um... I can explain." Arthfael begins weakly, stepping back away from the hatchling.
Keeper wrote: Oct 23, 2022 1:18 pm By the Lake

It’s difficult for Kol but he’s able to use a talon to write a message on the paper and start rattling his own bucket sized cup.
”I’m ready, I think,”
[By the Lake]

"Wonderful." Braeg smirks and tilts back his cup to look at his knucklebones, which is promptly followed by him slamming it back down hastily and giving Kol a sheepish grin. "Well. Certainly a good thing this is a friendly game." He quips.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

By the Lake

Kol makes sure he has bones in his own cup and does his best to give it a good shake with his paws.
"So do we lift them at the same time?" he asks.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[By the Lake]

"It hardly matters." Braeg shrugs. "So long as the bones don't change, it's still fair play." He lifts his cup and sets it aside, revealing what he'd rolled; three ones, one six. By the rules given, this isn't the worst possible roll; there are seven that would be worse.

And twenty-seven that would be better.

Braeg would be quite surprised if he actually ends up winning this way.

The fiendling smiles and fingers his parchment, already preparing to reveal its contents.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

By the Lake

Kol lifts his cup. His numbers are three, six, one, and three. A completely average roll, but certainly enough to beat Braeg's.
"Huh. Not great at your first roll, huh? But I did tell you. People don't like playing dice games with me. And now people started a bunch of rumors about it at school, too." But maybe he'll save some of those details for it he loses.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[By the Lake]

"Is that a fact?" Braeg raises an eyebrow, turning over the parchment to Kol. It's nothing particularly juicy; Braeg's just giving Kol his original last name, Bradanach. "...In point of fact, I find this rather entertaining. What do you say to one more roll, hm?" He scoops up his knucklebones and throws them back into his cup, laying a subtle enchantment on them in the process. Normally, there wouldn't be much point in cheating, since Kol's not going to wager anything worth taking... but that was never the point of the game.

Braeg scribbles down a second secret and flips his parchment upside-down. "And I think you're going to want this one, master dragon. It's an answer to a question I suspect you never knew to ask."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,