Riverside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Riverside

Post by Morty »

[MERC Office]

"It's a character from a fairy tale." Dipsnig composes himself quickly, but there's still tension to his voice. "But one that seems to have come to life. An old, spiteful fey. One of the Gentry, their rulers."

"I also heard stories about him as a child." Wenomir raises an eyebrow, surprised at the sudden commonality with a mercenary. "The word 'gentry' didn't come up, I think, but he supposedly battled with our god of war, Jarowit." A sneer crosses his face, as usual when talking about Jarowit.

"We've been aware of his influence for some time and I managed to sift some truth out of my grandfather's stories." Dipsnig's ears twitch. "He is one of the rulers of the fey, who are otherwise long gone. But he crawled out of whatever abyss he'd been in. Nowhere near as terrifying as the Gentry are meant to be... at least for now." What he doesn't mention is the King in Rags' purported hand in his species' creation.

"He was... something you use to scare children. A bogeyman."

"It does seem like fear and dread are his domain."

"He has power over stories, as well. He was able to control someone from the inside and force them into reliving a story. More than that, he won't say. Ambrosia's secret is safe with him.

Tags:
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Angelic Aftermath]

"Aw man, that sucks!" So that's what the whole marriage was about. Anika must have missed or forgot that detail.

But then an idea occurs to her and she calls out to stop Tina. "Wait! Can't you at least watch us do it? No need to leave if you don't wanna."
Morty wrote: Nov 15, 2022 10:09 pm [Into the Looking Glass - Kingly Audience]

The King is somewhat impressed. He's a connoisseur of the monstrous and the horrific.

"So all these creatures would require is that I give them targets to kill. The more gruesome, the better. Striking fear and anger. Admittedly, I have preferred to be subtle thus far. But a message has to be sent and the time for being circumspect will soon be past."
Recaiden wrote: Nov 15, 2022 11:55 pm [Into the Looking Glass]

Now, that's strange. What could the Pawn have to worry about?
Clearly any disappointment falls upon their hosts, not on the servants.

Still, Skye pauses and follows off to the indicated room.
"Oh, that's excellent news."
[Into the Looking Glass - Kingly Audience]

"They all feed on different things." Nye gestures to the horde of tooth creatures crawling beneath her. "This one feeds on suppressed rage while this-" Her hand nearly touches the living heart. "-wants as much hate as possible." She then glances back into that mist of nothingness. "While that's a special project of mine. I'm feeding it myself so you don't need to worry about it. That said, I believe you can all work something out." She pauses, and smiles. "I mean, you're not even the one that has to do the killing. All the people you dined with could easily cause a lot of death if just pushed in the right direction. And you know what they said, people that are afraid are easy to control."

[Into the Looking Glass]

White Pawn will lead her into a relatively small room which's walls are just as brown as the wood they're made of. No hints of the black and white theme that dominates the rest of the interior which the general have seen. Another detail that seems out of place is while there's a painting on the wall and a purple rug on the floor the room seems sparsely decorated compared to everything else she's seen in here.

White Pawn sits down in on of the three green arm chairs standing around a relatively simple wooden table in the middle of the room.
"So what do you wish to ask them exactly, general? I should say that I will have to work as a translator between you. Since as I mentioned earlier, Fusago can be difficult to understand for those who haven't interacted with them for very long."

[MERC Office]

"Sounds not too different from some of the more powerful fey that I know." Jaahlyn comments as they finish explaining. "Stories is, well, a common theme with us. To take control of things people have created and turn it against them. Any clue what he's doing in Riverside right now though? Since he's not the only being feeding of the negativity of this place right now." Her gaze turns to Dipsnig. "Since I'm not sure miss Xifhara told you this, but she gave me permission to hunt down spirits that are feeding off dark emotions that are being created in this town."
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Intercession with Ilpholin]

Ilpholin does nothing to dissuade the fox's yojimbo from taking a seat, having expected to deal with the irrational vampire at some point or another. Truly loyal and all bite, no bark. The kind of girl you want on your side but definitely don't invite to a fancy dinner twice.

To say her reaction to Siana is muted would be an overstatement. Her composure refuses to budge. "We're not in hell. Not yet at any rate."

[Northside Graveyard]

"You needn't worry. He brought it on himself," Mrs. Mordecai insists.

Her look turns to one of general disappointment in Melody. "Don't tell me. You couldn't handle the 'mental pressure', whatever that's supposed to mean. Needed to take a mental health year off. Anything to get out of actually putting in real effort. Did you get your participation diploma on the way out?" The old lady slowly shakes her head in raw disapproval of Melody.

"Maybe it's for the best. Women really are too frail for pursuing the men's professions. A pretty thing like you should be finding a good catch and settling down to raise the children. You shouldn't have any troubles with finding a sturdy breadwinner. I bet you have at least three men ready to wrap a ring around that dainty finger," Mrs. Mordecai cackles a little. "You do have prospects, don't you?" She asks, peering judgmentally at Melody.
► SHOW SPOILER
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

"You know what I mean!" Siana snaps, the glamour around her mouth briefly breaking down to bare a set of pulsating barbed phalanges in her mouth. She couldn't be much more clearly angry if she tried... and yet, as much as she wants to chew Ilpholin out, or at least get answers from her, doing so requires talking openly about things she just agreed she'd keep secret. She falls over her words for a moment, trying to string together a set of sounds that might yield a productive result, before finally just tapping her cane against the floor in frustration. "...To think, before tonight, I actually liked you." The strigoi mumbles as she turns away. "But now? I swear to Absum, if you hurt one hair on those girls' heads..."

...Ugh. She still can't complete that sentence. But she probably doesn't need to; Ilpholin will get the point.

[Northside Graveyard]

"...Actually, I was hit by a bus." Melody mumbles meekly, in exactly the sort of tone that would normally be reserved for a transparently weak excuse. She rubs her arm nervously and looks away from the old woman, cheeks thoroughly flushed. Even if she told Mrs. Mordecai what actually happened, in full detail, she doesn't think she'd care. This lady seems to have some very... dated ideas of proper conduct. Dated and harsh. Even now, she's fully expecting she'll tell Melody she should have continued to study from her place in a hospital bed, or in actuality, during her extended stay in a casket. Which she's technically still in; if they dug up her grave and opened it up now, Melody would find herself staring at her own lifeless face.

The succubus sniffs and takes a seat next to the grave, wrapping up her knees in her arms and just staring at the ground. In spite of the woman's clearly being in the wrong, she can't bring herself to say anything. It'd be pretty pointless; this woman won't concede anything and somehow it still feels like she has a point. Even there at the end, with that bit about her having prospects... she would, at this point, be unpleasantly surprised if only three people were interested in her. If she really wanted to, she probably could settle down for a quiet life.

Oh, sorry. Three men. Because Stacy, Marianne, and Euphoria apparently don't count, and they'd already fill out that quota if they did.

"...Would you please leave me alone?" Melody mumbles, shivering quietly.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

[MERC Office]

"If the King in Rags has worked with other fey before, how wide could their network be?" Blanche asks this mostly to Jaahlyn, expecting her to have a stronger sense of his influence and potential connections. "Could there be other fey in league or even under their thrall? Do you think they're just feeding off of and augmenting this hate, or could they be actively spreading it?"
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[MERC Office]

"As far as we know, the King in Rags is trying to open the way to the Fairest of Lands, the homeland of the fey. Which is supposedly lost forever. Even if he doesn't succeed, he's willing to do a lot in the attempt. I can't say I know what he's doing in Riverside specifically, though."

"It's crossed my desk that you're doing it, yes," Dipsnig tells Jaahlyn. "Riverside is a powder keg right now, so it's a buffet for things that feed of fear and misery. He definitely has fey serving him. And allies who aren't fey, too. We've had run-ins with them."
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Into the Looking Glass]
Shadowcaller wrote: Nov 17, 2022 9:25 pmWhite Pawn will lead her into a relatively small room which's walls are just as brown as the wood they're made of. No hints of the black and white theme that dominates the rest of the interior which the general have seen. Another detail that seems out of place is while there's a painting on the wall and a purple rug on the floor the room seems sparsely decorated compared to everything else she's seen in here.

White Pawn sits down in on of the three green arm chairs standing around a relatively simple wooden table in the middle of the room.
"So what do you wish to ask them exactly, general? I should say that I will have to work as a translator between you. Since as I mentioned earlier, Fusago can be difficult to understand for those who haven't interacted with them for very long."
"Oh, Pawn, I have nothing to say to him. I am only, a, umm, a person who carries the one with a message?"
Skye takes in their minimal surroundings and then curls up in another of the armchairs.
Wisps of light dance through the air around her, swirling and shifting. One who looked closely, might see in these lights the same scene that was shown to the guests in that field of white smoke: Fusago's people, invaders from across the sea, a blasted island sinking back beneath the waves. The images return, again and again, to those last mortals to dive into the volcano. What must have been felt then, on both sides?
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Angelic Aftermath]

Fettina looks awkwardly down at Ilpholin's hand. "Uh, thanks? But I'm not really the whole 'revenge' type. I prefer to just keep living my life, you know? Not that I wouldn't punch that bitch in the schnoz if I ever saw her again."

She looks at Anika, and blushes further. Her eyes switch between the girls. "She's really got no 'off' button, huh? And somebody forgot to put a filter into baby Anika, too," Tina laments. She smirks slightly, pausing for a while... "...Though, I guess? Is that... like, cool?" More eye-switching.
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

Meowmai wrote: Nov 17, 2022 7:06 am [Fight or Flight]

Atsede gently tests the integrity of the ice pack wrap with her hand. It seemed good enough. "I don't think I intend on running much right now, to be honest." After that punch, she was perfectly happy to just spend the rest of the afternoon sitting.

She sits down next to him, shuffling over to make as much space as she can manage on the small couch. "A beat em up game?" She chuckles. "Yeah why not, sounds great. Got some steam to work off." She didn't get to beat up Jayden as payback in real life so she should at least get to live vicariously through video game characters. She looks at the cover and grins. "I like these girls already."
[Fight or Flight]

Eliseo laughs. "Figured you would." He starts the game up and they begin! He gives her a number of tips as they start out, until she gets the hang of it. He tries not to over explain, though.

She'll find once they really get into it that Eliseo's a really vocal player, whether is voicing success, frustration in the moment, or just coordinating, he really gets into it. He jostles her a bit, too as they go, whether just active in the moment or giving her a celebratory nudge and a grin. They play as far as the first boss, and after a hard fight they manage to take it down. "Fuck yeah! Let's go!" He raises a hand. Give him some skin.
~Images by Soushiyo
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

"Before tonight... I didn't know anything about you." Siana was thoroughly mistaken if she believed Ilpholin sought or needed the approval of this relative stranger. She would be lying to say it didn't hurt on some level, but she's slowly becoming resigned to the fact that this demon loving world would inevitably turn on and hate her. Most of her friends already do.

"Did I say I'd hurt them? Hmm... I guess I did, perhaps..." Ilpholin questions and wonders aloud, as if searching for the answers herself. "I suppose you'll have no choice but to stop me. To discipline me. Sounds like you believe heavily in justice. Believe that if someone innocent gets hurt, there need be a punishment. Describe in detail the consequences of my actions~"

[Northside Graveyard]

The old Mrs. Mordecai tilts her head, ear turning towards Melody. "I'm sorry dear, what's that? You'll have to speak up! Don't be afraid to say what's on your mind, I've heard it all. Kids these days think they can mumble incoherently and text to avoid conversation and refuse to develop a real backbone. Refuse to learn how to talk to people. I tell you what, those damn zoomers are going to destroy our city. No offense."

The old lady pauses a bit, waiting for Melody to get a word in before continuing regardless, a seeming spark of recognition flashing across the old woman's face. "Wait a minute. Don't I know you from somewhere?"

[Angelic Aftermath]

Ilpholin raises an eyebrow and then shrugs as she withdraws her hand from Tina. "Yeah, sure. You didn't take anything, so how about we treat you to a show instead." The nymph's lips curl up sensuously as she turns and saunters over to Anika. The shorter woman doesn't hesitate to grab at the highest functioning strap on Anika's drow outfit and pull at it, forcing the night elf to bend down to where Ilpholin can push her lips against Anika's mouth in a heavy, passionate kiss, Ilpholin's hands wrapping around the druid's neck.
Last edited by Reinholdt on Nov 21, 2022 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[MERC Office]

Jaahlyn runs her hand through her white and black hair as she seems to consider Blanche's question. Dipsnig has likely never paid much attention to her but it does look a lot whiter now than just a month ago which is probably related to the fact that she no longer smells like sewage most of the time.

"-well, disgraced or not, he still got 'King' in his name right? So that must be an important part of who he is. Especially if he's trying to regain his former glory." She gestures to Wenomir as he brought that up. "I might have less experience with fey rulers than your average fey but I know mortal rulers enough to say if he's anything like them fey will flock around him given even the thinnest of reasoning. So if I would take a gander I would say that his network is fairly extensive by now. Since yes, even if he's not where I'm from the meaning of 'king' is still the same which means that they'll see him as important. He might even be able to just order some fey around." She pauses for a moment and gestures to herself.

"I was ordered around by the Rat King for a while despite trying to stop them. Since with fey there's no such thing as 'free will'. There are Laws that are as fundamental as... well, as fundamental as anything can be in the nexus." Unbreakable things seemed to be broken here all the time.

"Now, you won't need to worry about me serving him or his ilk as I'm now free from that particular Law but I doubt that's true of every fey. Most of them likely help him out willingly but if there's even a hint of kingship in him left some of them might not even have a choice."

Then her attention turns to Dipsnig. "But MERC has had run-ins with this being then? Since I had no idea we did." Which she doesn't see as surprising considering she was on the bottom of the organizations chain of command.

[Into the Looking Glass]

The general will once again be presented with a vision but this one is better described as an experience since it's more emotional than visual in nature. It begins just where the last one left off with people throwing themselves into a active volcano.
But now she will see that vision might have been deceptive in a way as they only saw the very end of a process. Even in the face of the death and sorrow following the loss of so many loved ones the idea of doing what they ended up doing was daunting. While they fully believed that the elderly who had done the same thing had joined with Fusago in death it was quite another to do the same themselves. Especially as the majority of them weren't even near the end of their lives.

This is where the general end up seeing which differs from what she saw back then. Since not all of the survivors decided to take the leap. Some of them decided to leave the island instead, taking off to parts unknown as they can last be seen paddling off in hopes of escaping the eruption. If they actually managed to survive it is not shown however.

But among those who stayed there was a short ritual to quell that fear that was holding them all back before they sprung forth.
Though how many that actually committed fully to it seems unimportant as the General's question was more regarding those who did take it and she gets the feeling Fusago has determined that they've seen enough of those who didn't now.

There's a lot of pain.

Pain so intense that the General will only get a sharp flashes of it before the vision moves on. Yet those brief flashes gave her a hint of what it was to die of sheer exposure to heat. Since many of those who leaped seems to have mercifully died even before they made impact with the magma. That or were at least rendered unconscious shortly before being melted alive.

But even after that as their beings joined with Fusago's there was great fear and confusion.
These had been people that all lived independently of one another. That like many humans believed that one of the greatest sorrows was that they could never truly know what another human being was truly like regardless of how close they were to them. Who lived under the impression that they were one person and everything they did was because they willed it to.

But all those beliefs would have to give way once they become a part of something greater. A being truly aware it was made up of a collective of voices. Like how people are the final sum of their emotions, thoughts and desires they could now said to be part of that. Their beliefs, emotions and desires joining up into one final sum which is Fusago.

So in a way Fusago are all those people and did all those things but in another way of seeing things they are also just making up a tiny fraction of what is a collective consciousness of fey, mortals and spirits. A single brain-cell among billion others.
Yet it wasn't like those people's consciousness had simply drowned in that ocean that was Fusago. They were still very much there as the General had still been able to feel their confusion and fear once they suddenly were a part of this collective. It was simply that they as a tiny fraction had little control over the being they were now a part of. Since no matter how deeply you submerge yourself in an ocean you would never have any hope in controlling it.

But as dreadful that might seem the fear and confusion would soon start to give away to a feeling of belonging. Since while they might be at mercy to the whims of the ocean they also understood that it was a part of them and would never harm them. Indeed, for the first time they would truly start to understand how others felt. As all language had stripped away with them along with their bodies so had all the barriers. Now they could truly feel one another on a level they could never reach in life. Just like they could understand the thoughts and feelings of every other fey and spirit that were a part of Fusago.

As for what Fusago felt, they mourned the loss of their agency once they fused with them but still considered this to be preferable to the death which would have come for them eventually.

[Angelic Aftermath]

Just now Anika pauses for a moment and realizes what she had been suggesting. Not to mention how Tina and Ilpholin might feel about that offer. Since Tina was blushing pretty heavily now.
Whoops!

The druid looks especially awkward at the 'off' comment and rubs the back of her head. "Ehh... well, I mean, if Ilpholin is cool with it of course." A casual glance in the nymphs direction would confirm just that since she's already sauntering over.

Anika gives Tina two thumbs up and a grin just before she's grabbed by the nymph, stripped and then kissed.
The rest might have a curtain pulled on it or be transferred somewhere else?
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Reinholdt wrote: Nov 21, 2022 10:26 am [Intercession with Ilpholin]

"Before tonight... I didn't know anything about you." Siana was thoroughly mistaken if she believed Ilpholin sought or needed the approval of this relative stranger. She would be lying to say it didn't hurt on some level, but she's slowly becoming resigned to the fact that this demon loving world would inevitably turn on and hate her. Most of her friends already do.

"Did I say I'd hurt them? Hmm... I guess I did, perhaps..." Ilpholin questions and wonders aloud, as if searching for the answers herself. "I suppose you'll have no choice but to stop me. To discipline me. Sounds like you believe heavily in justice. Believe that if someone innocent gets hurt, there need be a punishment. Describe in detail the consequences of my actions~"

[Northside Graveyard]

The old Mrs. Mordecai tilts her head, ear turning towards Melody. "I'm sorry dear, what's that? You'll have to speak up! Don't be afraid to say what's on your mind, I've heard it all. Kids these days think they can mumble incoherently and text to avoid conversation and refuse to develop a real backbone. Refuse to learn how to talk to people. I tell you what, those damn zoomers are going to destroy our city. No offense."

The old lady pauses a bit, waiting for Melody to get a word in before continuing regardless, a seeming spark of recognition flashing across the old woman's face. "Wait a minute. Don't I know you from somewhere?"

Well.

That's enough to get Siana to stop walking away, at least.

Turned away from Ilpholin as she is, the nymph isn't likely to see the change in expression on her face. Going from furious to perturbed and back to offended in the space of about thirty seconds.

"...You know what? Yes, I do." The strigoi says finally, pivoting on her good foot to face Ilpholin again. "I do believe in justice. And I don't believe there's anything just about punishing someone who is already punishing themselves, or who has already been punished some other way, or who hasn't done what they've been accused of." The strigoi's fingers curl around the head of her cane tensely as she speaks. "So whatever you had in mind, don't you dare call it justice."

Siana's thumb flicks up as the first half-inch of her sword leaves her cane, resting between the grip and the blade, producing just enough of a gap to let Ilpholin catch a glimpse of the weapon. "...I won't make you any more promises than I already have." The wannabe knight frowns. "But if your intent is to harm an innocent, know that I will not have it. Is that clear enough for you?"

...Of course, she couldn't help but project a little. Her own adventure in Riverside is weighing too heavily on her mind for that. Ilpholin's words hit too close to home. She's not sure if the nymph knows about her disastrous error in Hell Bend, but she feels the need to defend herself anyway.

And give herself away in the process, if Ilpholin can read between the lines.

[Northside Graveyard]

Oh shit.

"Um... n-no, I don't think we've ever met." Melody replies, running her fingers through her hair nervously. The worst part is, that's the actual truth. If Melody and Mrs. Mordecai were ever in the same room before today, they could conceivably have met on reasonably innocent terms. But since they hadn't, there was a very limited number of ways the old woman could recognize her... most of them as an affiliate to DEATHKISS.

In which case this conversation just went from a seven to a fifteen on the ten-point scale of awkwardness.

She's going to need to defuse that right away, or else the old woman's going to realize where she's seen her from and then that judgmental attitude of hers is only going to get worse.

"Maybe you saw my picture on TV? I was in the news about a year ago." Melody offers, running her hands over each other. "I, um, got hit by that bus. My parents didn't let that story die quietly. There was a lawsuit involved, if I remember right."

Still technically true, but if Mrs. Mordecai had seen the report in question, she'd know that wasn't all there was to the story. Melody Hopskins was dead before paramedics even hit the scene. And she was found to be intoxicated, a fact the bus company in question relied upon heavily in an attempt to exonerate themselves of any wrongdoing. To say nothing of the driver's insistence that she'd been pushed into the bus's path, though no other evidence of a third party was ever found. It was quite the scandal, and on a slow news week, probably got more coverage than it was really due.

Granted, that would mean Mrs. Mordecai's basis for remembering her would be as the drunk girl that got herself made into roadkill, which was hardly a flattering representation, but... still much, much better than the alternative.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Xar'Cha Residence]

The morning after Ilpholin's return from her eventful journey to the past, her new demon-hunters in the making arrive before her door.

As per her agreement with the King in Rags, there are thirty of them. Elves of all genders and different shapes. They're dressed in a mixture of travel clothes and armor; some of them carry weapons while others do not. All have the look of being no strangers to trouble, but according to the King, some of them are warriors while others are hunters or practitioners of elemental magic.

Many of the elves resemble those Ilpholin saw in the underground city when she visited with Damon - pale, dark-eyed and dark-haired. More than a few have light brown skin and compact features that resemble his servant Amalungak, however. Others have different appearance still - many of them bear tattoos. The King recruited far and wide for this purpose.

In front of the group is someone Ilpholin may recognize. A tall, pale wiry subterranean elf with a gossamer tattoo on her face and hair kept in a long topknot. Haabeth, the guard who greeted them in the Singer's city. She's wearing a breastplate, greaves and metal gauntlets and there's a long-hafted axe on her back. All the elves keep a respectful distance until the lady of the house addresses them.
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Into the Looking Glass]

The General's heart leaps to see others paddling away from the island. In a sense their faith failed them, yes, and they were ever separated from the others and from their mountain god. But they got to be themselves, maybe even make it away somewhere else.

The pain - it is not entirely unfamiliar. Something that has been witnessed in other parts and places many, many times. And with her own eyes not a few, But it is, like now, something she can only ever feel secondhand. Still, it is a terrible feeling.
And, interestingly, not the end of their fear and suffering. In the past, Skye would have been particularly horrified at this part of the vision, even as the people in the vision are confused and afraid. But things have changed, and she can see a potential value in continuing as part of something greater. In fact.

The vision around the General - ironically, to all of them, Fusago remains too alien to directly share experiences with, only images and packaged ideas - shifts to show a completely new scene. Four people, all different in appearance and ancestry, surrounded by flames growing ever hotter. In this case there is no merciful cessation of consciousness or life, but neither are they truly harmed, heat and pain reaching impossible levels until the people begin to melt and flow together like wax, then like water, one being made from several. The whole time, distant faces

It is saying 'we are like you, but we are not the same as you'.

Then it comes to the topic of Fusago's mourning. That the agency, the independent human existence, was lost with their death and reunion. This is something they know well, have they not heard and seen it from so many mortals?
The images shift to an indistinct glow. What if it could be another way? A spirit be part of the yu-seed, and yet live?
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Angelic Aftermath]

Fettina just giggles and may just plop down to watch them. There might be other ways she can participate in a minor way... but that's business for them alone.

((Can probably call this scene done here I'd imagine.))
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

► SHOW SPOILER
[MERC Office]

"King, huh?" Blanche tilts her head, thinking. "Do you think he may be attempting to establish his own rulership within Riverside? Or, failing that, accumulate power to establish it in these Fairest of Lands?" She poses the question more towards Wenomir than anyone else, feeling he has a stronger sense of the King in Rags than the MERC members present.

[Back to Fox Central]

As the night carries on and the Spooktober festivities die down, Anastasia steps out of the train into Eastside. She's wiped off her face makeup and looks a little cold in the short skirt of her costume, though it doesn't seem to stop the spring in her step. "Thanks for taking me, I had a blast tonight," Ana remarks, turning to Eliseo and beaming as she squeezes his hand and leads him onto the street.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Back to Fox Central]

"It was really fun." Eliseo agrees with a warm smile. He slips his arm around her waist and pulls her up against him as they walk. "I was a little worried there for a minute, though. But I'm glad I was right, you know? About Atsede being understanding. I think you both get along so well, I wasn't too surprised."
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Back to Fox Central]

Anastasia slips into Eliseo’s arm with the readiness she always shows, leaning her head and cuddling up as best one can while the two walk. ”Yeah, I guess we really do,” she replies with a smile. “I was worried too - I mean she’s always so like, irreverent y’know? It’s really nice to know she’s got more of a sensitive side.” Ana’s tails wag as she looks over to Eliseo, as if expecting him to say the same.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Back to Fox Central]

"Oh yeah, for sure." Eliseo replies, a bit uncertainly. With his free hand he scratches the back of his head. "So, do you have a thing for her?" His expression turns more sly. "Like, you kinda talk about her all the time, and you're worrying so much about what she thinks of you. I thought you were just being nervous about it, but, I mean, it's been a while now. Kinda familiar actually."
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Back to Fox Central]

"Yeah, like -" Ana stumbles mid-stride as Eliseo's words finally process, her voice coming out in a startled little squeak. "W-what?" She blinks and stammers, then leans away and raises her hands. "No! I'm not - I'm not into Atsede, I just -" the kitsune's face pales, cheeks turning a bright red. "Oh god, am I???"
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Back to Fox Central]

Eliseo arches his eyebrows. "Well I don't know. Are you?" He turns toward her, giving her an expectant look. "I mean I've been trying to figure it out myself. Basically since we had that chat at lunch. I mean you do act different with her than your other friends." He observes, putting his finger on his chin. Then he grins. "I mean, I won't deny that she's kinda hot."
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Back to Fox Central]

Ana steps back and sits down on the curb, covering her brightening cheeks with her hands. "Oh gods, maybe???" She glances up. "I-I mean, I've never been so worried about what even the girls at cheer think about me! A-a-and the way she knows how to tease me like that, i-it's just- I-I dunno, I mean I've always liked it with you too!"

Hearing that last remark though, Anastasia can't help but ease back out of her flustered semi-panic with an awkward giggle. "I mean, uh, I- I guess I have been staring a little, haven't I?" She rubs the back of her head. "That's not, l-like... awkward, is it?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

"What a convenient world we live in where criminals can punish themselves and decide for themselves how much is appropriate. That surely won't be corrupted and abused by our enlightened civilization to falsely assuage someone's guilt while avoiding any real consequences." Ilpholin shakes her head slowly. "I'm afraid what you see as justice is just too... one dimensional for me."

The nymph's eyes glance at the weapon being teased and her lips curl up into a smile. "So, I'm afraid I'm going to insist on doing things my way. Of course, if you've truly heard about me, then you know that whenever and wherever I choose to strike, it'll be too late to actually stop me from getting to Ana. Not without her coming away with grievous injuries at least. Or worse." Ilpholin slowly closes her eyes, losing sight of Siana as she sits calmly in her chair, displaying vulnerability. "So your only real chance to prevent her from getting hurt is taking me out in a pre-emptive strike when I'm in the open. Is now."

"So if you truly have the resolve to defend her, then do it. Take this burden upon yourself and protect her. Or don't and let her suffer. Make your decision."

[Northside Graveyard]

"Hmm..." The old woman seems to be wracking her memory. "No. No I don't think that was it."

Mrs. Mordecai's face lights up with recognition. Well, as much as the bitter old hag's face can behind the veil she grieves behind. "Wait, I know where I've seen you. You're a member of that band DeathKiss, aren't you? Yeah... yeah, you're the singer, aren't you? That, uhh.... Malady lady."

Tapping her cane on the ground, she snorts derisively. "I have to say, your music sucks."

[Xar'Cha Estate]

The group will be lead through the AI controlled front door and lead deeper into the former embassy by a giant mechanical spider until reaching the large training area on the fourth subfloor. Ilpholin enters, wearing a familiar uniform like outfit that she's taken to as much as her catsuit. She takes note of Haabeth, but gives her no special treatment or acknowledgement to the elf beyond the initial look of recognition. The Phyrexian nymph traverses the front line of elves, looking them over judgmentally before turning around to walk the line again. Only to stop suddenly in front of one of them, more or less at random aside from not being Haabeth.

"Why are you here?" Ilpholin asks the elf, loud enough for the whole group to hear.
► SHOW SPOILER
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Reinholdt wrote: Nov 23, 2022 8:24 am [Intercession with Ilpholin]

"What a convenient world we live in where criminals can punish themselves and decide for themselves how much is appropriate. That surely won't be corrupted and abused by our enlightened civilization to falsely assuage someone's guilt while avoiding any real consequences." Ilpholin shakes her head slowly. "I'm afraid what you see as justice is just too... one dimensional for me."

The nymph's eyes glance at the weapon being teased and her lips curl up into a smile. "So, I'm afraid I'm going to insist on doing things my way. Of course, if you've truly heard about me, then you know that whenever and wherever I choose to strike, it'll be too late to actually stop me from getting to Ana. Not without her coming away with grievous injuries at least. Or worse." Ilpholin slowly closes her eyes, losing sight of Siana as she sits calmly in her chair, displaying vulnerability. "So your only real chance to prevent her from getting hurt is taking me out in a pre-emptive strike when I'm in the open. Is now."

"So if you truly have the resolve to defend her, then do it. Take this burden upon yourself and protect her. Or don't and let her suffer. Make your decision."

...Strike her down in cold blood.

Siana's not exactly certain she can do that, either. Even if what Ilpholin says is true, fighting someone who is well and truly defenseless just... well, that's not really a fight at all. That's an execution. One that's not backed by a trial or... or anything. Ilpholin's trying to talk her into murdering her.

To protect an innocent life.

What really matters here?

There's a soft rasp of steel on wood as Siana slowly draws her blade from her cane, holding up the weapon and drawing back to carve a wide cut, in exactly the right spot to decapitate the nymph on the spot... before lowering it again without taking a swing.

"...Let me get one thing straight," Siana says, re-sheathing her weapon more readily than she drew it. "You're talking to a woman who spent ten years of her life scavenging the wastes of what was once her home. Who had to claw her way from place to place because her leg didn't work. Who had to eat anything that fell into her hands, because she could not afford to skip a single meal. Who was still too sick, soft, and weak, and died before she ever reached safety, and knows exactly why. Don't think for a moment that I can't make hard choices." She glances up at Nye's seat and back at the nymph. "...But our host has already made it quite clear that he won't tolerate violence against the entertainers; I'm sure that goes double for the guests. If I made an attempt on your life now, it would probably get me thrown out, and then I can't do anything for Ana." She frowns. "And you knew that, too. I don't think you'd be that quick to suggest I kill you if you didn't have a get-out-of-jail-free card sitting right there."

She taps her cane briskly on the ground and starts to turn away again. "If I have to stay at her side twenty-four-seven to make sure she's safe from you, I will. I don't need to sleep. I don't need much to eat, no more than she does. And if, Absum forbid, the worst should happen, I know who you are and I will know if you are responsible. No matter what you do to me, I'll keep coming, and coming, and coming. Consider that when you insist on your way."
Reinholdt wrote: Nov 23, 2022 8:24 am[Northside Graveyard]

"Hmm..." The old woman seems to be wracking her memory. "No. No I don't think that was it."

Mrs. Mordecai's face lights up with recognition. Well, as much as the bitter old hag's face can behind the veil she grieves behind. "Wait, I know where I've seen you. You're a member of that band DeathKiss, aren't you? Yeah... yeah, you're the singer, aren't you? That, uhh.... Malady lady."

Tapping her cane on the ground, she snorts derisively. "I have to say, your music sucks."
[Northside Graveyard]

Oh god, somebody please just kill her now.

"I..." Melody turns a bright shade of red, shrinking into her hoodie and backing up against her gravestone. Yeesh. It's bad enough that this woman knows she's part of an ero-metal band, she has to be a critic on top of everything else. Granted, it's not exactly the purest form of expression, but it's still partially her expression.

...Hang on a minute.

"...Wait, you listen to DEATHKISS?" Malady asks, slowly pulling herself up to her feet. "I didn't think we had an audience among... er... the, um... upper-middle-age bracket."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

The vampire's tirade about her own life only proves she knows nothing truly about Ilpholin. Well it was hardly the nymph's place to inform her.
Let the yojimbo believe her sob, sad past entitled her to respect. "Did I now? Hmm... it would hardly matter if you were thrown out now, seeing as I promised the fox 48 hours. But we can go outside if you're that concerned about it." No? Walking away instead? Ilpholin could have respected the vampire refusing on principal, but this was just sad.

"Well, I suppose it's irrelevant. You don't seem to have learned anything from our exchange given you continue to believe I will not sacrifice my life for my cause. Rail against the heavens little pup. Rail until your voice runs dry and your sword turns red." Ilpholin gives Siana a wave goodbye and a disappointed stare.

[Northside Graveyard]

"What? You think just because I'm old means I don't have good taste? Pshaw." Mrs. Mordecai blows off Malady's misconceptions. "Apparently you don't though. Like, goddamn, have you heard yourself in Too Hot for Heaven? Do you even know what rhythm means? No offense but your band's complete garbage. You think you're hot shit cause you're new and young, but classic ero-metal bands have you beat by miles. Suck N' Sing. Orgasmic. Those bands had actual soul in their music." Perhaps literally at times.

"They put in some actual effort into their compositions. Made something of value worth listening to. Not this New Age, autotuned, no effort music you put out." Mrs. Mordecai really was just the worst old lady, but if she can't get Melody to stand up at least for herself when it came to her music, she'll just have to move on to plan B of incurring Marianne's wrath.
Last edited by Reinholdt on Nov 25, 2022 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Recaiden wrote: Nov 21, 2022 4:45 pm [Into the Looking Glass]

The General's heart leaps to see others paddling away from the island. In a sense their faith failed them, yes, and they were ever separated from the others and from their mountain god. But they got to be themselves, maybe even make it away somewhere else.

The pain - it is not entirely unfamiliar. Something that has been witnessed in other parts and places many, many times. And with her own eyes not a few, But it is, like now, something she can only ever feel secondhand. Still, it is a terrible feeling.
And, interestingly, not the end of their fear and suffering. In the past, Skye would have been particularly horrified at this part of the vision, even as the people in the vision are confused and afraid. But things have changed, and she can see a potential value in continuing as part of something greater. In fact.

The vision around the General - ironically, to all of them, Fusago remains too alien to directly share experiences with, only images and packaged ideas - shifts to show a completely new scene. Four people, all different in appearance and ancestry, surrounded by flames growing ever hotter. In this case there is no merciful cessation of consciousness or life, but neither are they truly harmed, heat and pain reaching impossible levels until the people begin to melt and flow together like wax, then like water, one being made from several. The whole time, distant faces

It is saying 'we are like you, but we are not the same as you'.

Then it comes to the topic of Fusago's mourning. That the agency, the independent human existence, was lost with their death and reunion. This is something they know well, have they not heard and seen it from so many mortals?
The images shift to an indistinct glow. What if it could be another way? A spirit be part of the yu-seed, and yet live?
[Into the Looking Glass]

Fusago reacts with curiosity at this.

Was it an offer?
The image of mortals kneeling offering ritual items to the volcano illustrates this question.

Or a question?
More images of mortals but this time seemingly trying to speak directly to the volcano, asking of knowledge only the elders knew.

But more than that, the general will get her own visions feed back to her with the implied question 'was she this spirit that wanted to be a part of them?' Though it would be more accurately translated as 'was they this spirit that wanted to be a part of them?' as gender pronouns didn't seem to exist to Fusago.

[Northside Graveyard]

The black goat entered the graveyard in what she hoped was a stealthy manner and made its way across the rows of gravestones until it suddenly came across trouble.

Or more accurately, a dog.
The kind of big black dog she all too often saw on graveyards like these.

And so the goat stopped and stared at the dog.

And so the dog stared back.

And so the goat stared back.

To an observer they would look like two eerily black animals locked in an eternal staring contest with one another. Neither blinking or willing to give up even an inch.Or at least so it would look like until the the dog suddenly lets out a happy bark and started to move in circles around the goat.

Oh no!

That damn mutt would give her away. Not to mention completely ruin the ambiance she got going here.

Trying to get away the goat simply tries to move forward to see if she could spot the person she was here for. But the dog keeps following, causing the goat to stop and let out an annoyed "meehee!"
She couldn't get anywhere near her 'target' with it around!

The goat gets up on its hind legs in what she must believe is an intimidating gesture and then attempts to butt the canine with her horns, completely whiffing as the dog easily moves away while it keeps barking at the funny goat.
While Mrs. Mordecai and Melody can only see the epic fight that is ensuing right now as two tiny figures in the distance they will still be able to hear the dog happily barking as the goat is trying to chase it away.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Reinholdt wrote: Nov 23, 2022 9:54 am [Intercession with Ilpholin]

The vampire's tirade about her own life only proves she knows nothing truly about Ilpholin. Well it was hardly the nymph's place to inform her.
Let the bushido believe her sob, sad past entitled her to respect. "Did I now? Hmm... it would hardly matter if you were thrown out now, seeing as I promised the fox 48 hours. But we can go outside if you're that concerned about it." No? Walking away instead? Ilpholin could have respected the vampire refusing on principal, but this was just sad.

"Well, I suppose it's irrelevant. You don't seem to have learned anything from our exchange given you continue to believe I will not sacrifice my life for my cause. Rail against the heavens little pup. Rail until your voice runs dry and your sword turns red." Ilpholin gives Siana a wave goodbye and a disappointed stare.

And a third time Siana's stopped in her tracks. She really needs to stop attempting a dramatic exit.

"...If you're seriously suggesting we step outside and have this out, I'm game for that, too." She says finally, beckoning to one of the pawns (she strongly suspects it doesn't matter which). If the selected pawn comes forward, Siana will indeed make the request that she and Ilpholin both be taken outside.

Though regardless of the response, she's starting to feel a knot form in the pit of her stomach. This feels like a mistake. Like there's something about this situation that's just... horribly wrong. Ilpholin's un-subtly suggested she won't defend herself, which brings Siana back to the question of whether she could, in fact, bring herself to execute her. Was it really that different from what Ilpholin was threatening to do to Ana? Even if it was, that wouldn't make it right. She took up the sword because she wanted to help people, but this... didn't seem a lot like helping.

And yet, she can't seem to find an actual hole in Ilpholin's reasoning, either. If the nymph's attacks on innocent people (just the two, that she knows of, but that's already two too many) are as inavertable as she claims, then she needs to be stopped. Permanently. By whatever means necessary.

...Right?

...Maybe it isn't too late. They could talk and duel at the same time. Any competent swordsman could. If in the process of fighting her, Siana could convince Ilpholin to stand down, maybe she won't have to kill her.

Or not. She's assuming that there will, in fact, be a fight, with that line of reasoning.

Maybe it won't be permanent? Siana herself could survive some pretty nasty injuries. And Ilpholin's still throwing her life away entirely too quickly. Even if she was as zealous as she claimed, removing herself from the struggle won't help her cause in any way. The best case scenario is that she gets the last laugh on a vampire she met a few hours prior. No, if she's offering herself that readily, she has a plan for surviving.

So Siana "killing" her isn't likely to actually do anything, other than convince Ilpholin that she would if she had to.

Right? That has to be it.

Has to be.

"Shall we go?"

Reinholdt wrote: Nov 23, 2022 9:54 am [Northside Graveyard]

"What? You think just because I'm old means I don't have good taste? Pshaw." Mrs. Mordecai blows off Malady's misconceptions. "Apparently you don't though. Like, goddamn, have you heard yourself in Too Hot for Heaven? Do you even know what rhythm means? No offense but your band's complete garbage. You think you're hot shit cause you're new and young, but classic ero-metal bands have you beat by miles. Suck N' Sing. Orgasmic. Those bands had actual soul in their music." Perhaps literally at times.

"They put in some actual effort into their compositions. Made something of value worth listening to. Not this New Age, autotuned, no effort music you put out." Mrs. Mordecai really was just the worst old lady, but if she can't get Melody to stand up at least for herself when it came to her music, she'll just have to move on to plan B of incurring Marianne's wrath.
[Northside Graveyard]

"I... but..." But we do put in effort, she wants to say. While she's always been a bit hesitant about it, she knows for a fact that the band's collective heart and soul go into their projects. Even she supplied a sort of romantic aspect to their songs, where Euy tended to focus on the carnal and psychological bits. And they never used autotune; it just didn't work for them.

But maybe worst of all...

"...She said we were the first." Malady finally objects, hugging her knees. "That nobody had ever made music like we did before. We're the originals." She sniffs. "...God. You know, I hated running around onstage in those outfits she'd make me wear. I hated opening my mouth and having all this filth come out. I hated the way people would look at me while I was up on stage, like... Like I was just a piece of meat, or maybe a toy. But at least I could console myself with the fact that, hey, nobody had been our particular brand of depraved before. We were at least being clever." She runs her eyes along her sleeve, leaving a pair of elongated wet spots in the fabric. "...And come to learn that, no, people have apparently been doing this for years. I just hadn't met anyone old enough to remember." She reaches into the bag she brought and pulls out a can of black spray paint, throwing the now-empty piece of trash aside.

"...So what's that make me, then? A whore and an idiot?" She snaps suddenly, cracking the top off the spray can. "Letting myself be led on like this? Not saying anything? Just being some fucking set dressing? Just the fourth girl they apparently fucking needed to do their shit? Huh? Is that all I fucking am?!"

She doesn't expect Mrs. Mordecai to have an answer to that.

She expects she'll be able to just sit and spray her grievances onto the tombstone in relative silence.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Into the Looking Glass]
Shadowcaller wrote: Nov 23, 2022 10:43 amFusago reacts with curiosity at this.

Was it an offer?
The image of mortals kneeling offering ritual items to the volcano illustrates this question.

Or a question?
More images of mortals but this time seemingly trying to speak directly to the volcano, asking of knowledge only the elders knew.

But more than that, the general will get her own visions feed back to her with the implied question 'was she this spirit that wanted to be a part of them?' Though it would be more accurately translated as 'was they this spirit that wanted to be a part of them?' as gender pronouns didn't seem to exist to Fusago.
The lights mirror back Fusago's second image. A question.

And then, they show the first, though changed, with some mortals stranding stridently upright. It is also an offer, but not unqualified, only if certain answers or actions come to pass.

Skye shakes her head.

The next image is complicated, layered. First, it shows an abstract human figure carrying a rolled paper in their hands. A messenger.
But it also shows The General standing beside many many others, second from the back in a large crowd. And looming over all of them, is, in a twist of perspective, everything they've been seeing all along. No, it is not her that is spoken of, or even her that is speaking. She is just...maybe not a pawn, but still a chess piece on the board.
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Xar'Cha Estate]

The elf Ilpholin is addressing is a fair-skinned blonde man, his features subtly different from those of the other elven groups. His eyes are clear blue and visibly non-human upon closer inspection. His face bears tattoos, more distinctive and visible than that of Haabeth's people. He's not wearing armor, only a cloth shirt under a tabard of sorts. There's a wooden wand tucked behind his belt.

"To become a demon-slayer," he says curtly, as if afraid to speak too much. He's projecting a calm exterior, but he's clearly nervous to be put on the spot like this. They all are, Ilpholin will surely notice. They're not afraid of physical danger, but of being measured and found wanting.

[MERC Office]

"We had two contracts that turned out to have to do with him." Dipsnig is clearly reluctant to speak of it, but he has no real choice. "One, to investigate a mansion in Inside that turned out to have been kept by some deranged fey waiting for his arrival. This was part of a larger ongoing contract to deliver information about fey. Then we were hired to help hunt down a lightning-bird. Our employer turned out to be the King in Rags, in disguise. Or not precisely a disguise. It seems he can occupy many bodies in many places at once. We also had one of his servants in our custody after the rat fiasco... but he was sprung free."

Wenomir shrugs.

"I don't think Riverside interests him more than any other mortal location. He feeds on its fear and anger, but he wants to get back home."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Arkhosia wrote: Nov 22, 2022 8:12 pm [MERC Office]

"King, huh?" Blanche tilts her head, thinking. "Do you think he may be attempting to establish his own rulership within Riverside? Or, failing that, accumulate power to establish it in these Fairest of Lands?" She poses the question more towards Wenomir than anyone else, feeling he has a stronger sense of the King in Rags than the MERC members present.
Morty wrote: Nov 23, 2022 7:29 pm [MERC Office]

"We had two contracts that turned out to have to do with him." Dipsnig is clearly reluctant to speak of it, but he has no real choice. "One, to investigate a mansion in Inside that turned out to have been kept by some deranged fey waiting for his arrival. This was part of a larger ongoing contract to deliver information about fey. Then we were hired to help hunt down a lightning-bird. Our employer turned out to be the King in Rags, in disguise. Or not precisely a disguise. It seems he can occupy many bodies in many places at once. We also had one of his servants in our custody after the rat fiasco... but he was sprung free."

Wenomir shrugs.

"I don't think Riverside interests him more than any other mortal location. He feeds on its fear and anger, but he wants to get back home."
[MERC Office]

"There is an election in Eastside soon." Jaahlyn points up as soon as Blanche has mentioned the King of Rags grabbing power in the city. "Even if he doesn't want any power in the city it would be the perfect opportunity to spread fear around. Maybe VIGIL could volunteer to oversee the election? You might be able to catch him in the act if he pulls anything like that." She seems to have no comments regarding what Dipsnig said about MERC's involvement with the King of Rags despite asking him about. But she had a feeling it was best to not discuss that right in front of one of VIGIL's leaders.

At this point Anika raises her hand as if to ask a question
She had been only half-listening to the discussion as she had been distracted by her own thoughts it seems. Yet now she was suddenly alert.
"Hey, question? What's an 'election'? Like, what do you elect?"