Outside: Grass touch place

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by bc56 »

Neon Forest
Kothar looks at the pillars, then at the door. "Too thick. Can't break through it." He steps up to it and turns his hands outward, sliding his claws into the door's crack. "Direction makes force useful. Uncontrolled strength accomplishes little." He pulls his hands apart, straining with supernatural strength against the machinery holding the door closed in an attempt to force it open.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!

Tags:
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Neon Forest]

Kothar digs his claws into one of the seams he finds at the spire's base and PULLS!

Muted white lights begin flickering, outlining a tall rectangle in the face of the monolith that sure LOOKS like a doorway. But the door refuses the budge! It feels like Kothar is trying to move a solid mass of black glass that isn't actually designed to slide or open or anything. Almost like it's just a rectangle carved into the surface rather than an actual door.

Khannie watches the goings on.

Looks to the smaller glowing white pillar.

Then to the glowing white outline around the 'door'.

"Wait! I think I've got an idea," Khannie says, moving over to the small pillar an examining it. Atop it are two glowing spots about as far apart as the tines on her baton. Hmm. She takes the 'sword' and sides it into the spots and-!

It fits right in!

She tries turning it like a key.

Nothing.

Then she tries pulling it down like a lever.

Ah HAH!

The top of the pillar twists ninety degrees, followed by a musical chime. Lines of white light begin spreading across the door, forming a multitude of black cubes wreathed in white that begin shrinking out of existence until there stands before our heroes a cavity leading into the spire. In the midst of the tiny room stands a square of metal rimed in glowing blue with a little control pillar standing next to it.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

bc56 wrote: Nov 29, 2022 5:00 pm Forsaken Cathedral
With the creature knocked down and burning, it's clearly no longer a threat. "You all right?" Charcoal helps Miranda back to her feet. "If there's anyone else down here, they'll have heard that. We need to move quickly."
[Forsaken Catherdral]

"Agreed." Miranda concurs, taking a moment to reload her weapon. She doesn't like how resilient that monster turned out to be; the odds of it being the only one of its kind down here are slim, and she doesn't like the idea of being swarmed by these things. "If you can tell where to go from here, lead the way. I'm right behind you."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

[Somewhere not between GLoG and HALO]

'Just follow the road signs' is the advice Seraphina was given.

'Just follow the road signs' is what Seraphina did.

And, for some reason, the road signs that say "HALO this way" has led Seraphina somewhere that isn't HALO. Not because the advice was bad, but just because the Nexus's geography doesn't seem to like her that much. It's inexplicable. Or, at least, Seraphina can't come up with any explanation for it.

She would've thought, for sure, she would have found something by now.
Magtok
Pointy Eared Baby Devourer

Post by Magtok »

[Tower of Oujet]
Rebonack wrote: Nov 23, 2022 4:05 pmCan she even be stunned by electricity, given that she isn't alive?

I suppose we'll find out together.
A form of arcane power is what fuels her, it's what keeps her body maintaining this grotesque parody of a healthy human being. Unfortunately, this means being jolted with magical electricity stuns her in a way that normal electrical attacks could not, and leaves her crumpled on the steps next to her sword for what feels like a dreadful, muscle-twitching eternity. In truth, it's only about a moment, just a fraction of a second spent lying on the steps, begging her body to get back up and fight before the bots can approach Anika, but that moment seems to stretch for forever, like she's watching the disaster unfold in slow motion. The instant she has control over her body again, she sloppily swings her sword at the golem's legs, a hasty strike meant to keep it from passing over her to hunt the elf, rather than actually inflict any major damage on the thing.
"You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
-Daniel H. Wilson
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

► SHOW SPOILER
[Hog Heaven]

"No risk of that. Really, while I might say otherwise, I love doing this shit. Gives me a right to brag, doesn't it?" Dena asks, her eyebrows raised as she smiles back. "But you know what they say, the best way to ending up hating something is making it your job. So I try not to overdo it. If I feel like it I can do it for people who've earned it maybe once or twice depending on what they bribe me with. But as a full-time job? Only in dreams I'm afraid."

Dena chuckles and then go to sit down at the bar at her old seat again, waiting for Tsumi to follow her before continuing. "So you could say I'm something of an artist really as I only do things when I feel like it. But as tragic and pretentious as that might sound I've learned that overdoing it is bad for me and you gotta listen to yourself." The gorgon nods and then take another sip of that drink, finally finishing it.

[Tower of Oujet]

Wait, that had been a button?!
The narrator had described them as 'glowing circles'!

Laz surely couldn't blame her for this one, circles were geome- shapes, okay? They were drawings on a paper. Completely flat and stuff.
Buttons were were more like plateaus. Flat, sure, but they rose from their surroundings as they were made to stand out from them.
That's why everyone like to press them. They wanted to be pressed. That was like their entire purpose.
Not like circles which mostly existed to be a part of boring math problems.

If circles and buttons had been people circles would be the boring nerds whose personality were as flat as themselves while buttons were the cool jocks that were always bench pressing and ready to party at a moment's notice.

But speaking of partying, it sounded like she and Laz had one to go to upstairs and these monsters were not nearly cool enough to ride with them.
Yet rather than going bear instantly Anika will actually cast a mystery spell!

Well, it won't be much of a mystery to Laz as she's suddenly entangled with vines that raise from the floor somehow. These particular vines seem to be extending all the way back to the druid herself though.
That's about when those golems arrive to give Anika some feedback on her performance so far and she can BEARly take it.

As in she will be taking it as a bear after a less than a second short green glowing transformation scene. She isn't actually interested in those golems feedback though. No, instead she will grab those vines in her jaws and start to charge right through them while attempting to pull Laz along behind her with the help of the vines.

Sky Library

The dragon considers what he had just told her for a moment before her loud voice can be heard again. "You are planning a exorcism, yes?" She doesn't wait for a reply. "Well, I have a way to help you with that. Hold on..."

Benedict can see small-scale book avalanches coming down the mountain Megeshi sits on top of unleashed by the face the dragon had started to move. She doesn't seem to be in a particular hurry but even such small and lazy movements is enough to cause a disaster to whoever had been standing too close.

Her head then disappears underneath the books as he can see the purple scales of the rest of her serpentine body as she starts to uncoil from her resting spot. Then the piles and hills of books between them all start to move. Most crumble apart only to collapse into new ones as that massive serpentine body slithers towards them.

Then like a leviathan her head suddenly emerges again out of a hill of books to their right. This up close they get a pretty good idea just how massive she is it looks like she could easily swallow the both of them and not even notice. As her titanic maw opens to speak they can feel hot air blow against their faces. With it comes a sharp smell of ozone which best could be compared to chlorine that now washes over them.
"Do you have a weapon? A sacrificial dagger or something with a similar function? Something you kill things with." Megeshi inquires, her voice even louder this up close.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Sky Library

"I was, yes. I have the mummified corpse of a saint at home. I was planning on reanimating it as part of my guards, but I inadvertently separated the soul from the body and without that I can only raise it as a slightly divine zombie." Which was Benedict's first scene, both finding the body and exorcising the soul.

Mergei gulps and takes several steps back as Megeshi's head emerges so close, eyes wide. Benedict is less phased, at least on the surface.

"I do, yes. Several weapons. My sword, which improves my martial skill, but... I have killed more people with this." Benedict reaches into his jacket and pulls out an ornate tumi, made of gold and set with turquoise beads, the semicircular blade razor sharp. It's imbued with power, too; a fragment of an Empyrean enabling it to slice memory as easily as flesh.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Sky Library

Megeshi draws in air through her nostrils, a sensation the two of them can feel quite strongly. But she isn't trying to get their scent, its the tumi.
"A familiar scent, curious."
The dragon declares as she seems to mull the scent over for a couple of moments.

Her eyes then focuses on Benedict again.

"Is this the weapon of your choosing then? Since what I'm about to grant it is a part of my endless hunger. Meaning that it will devour the soul and essence of any being you strike with it. Making it particularly effective against spirits and other disembodied creatures such as the devil you described to me."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Sky Library

"For this purpose? Yes, it would be better applied to this tumi than to my sword." Benedict's sword has a hilt of human bone, and bound into the blade is the soul of a master duellist. When Benedict wields the weapon, the soul possesses him to give him the deceased duellist's skill with a blade- though not their muscle memory. Benedict wouldn't like to find out what would happen if it was granted the ability to devour souls when it already possesses one.

Benedict will proffer the sacrificial blade to the dragon, bowing as he does.

Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Tower of Oujet]

That really sucks, doesn't it?

Geeze.

No one likes stun effects. Absolutely no one. This is why you need to go for high stun resistance if you're running a front line position, Laz. You really need to look into fleshing out your defenses a little more.

With Laz momentarily down the pair of constructs move in to strike her with a killing blow but suddenly-!

Now Laz is bouncing along the floor like just the worst kite ever as Anika flees up the stairs to the second floor of the tower. The pair of golems won't be too far behind, skittering along on their immaculate gold and marble legs promising emotionless death to all they manage to catch. Assuming, of course, that they don't get wrecked.

The second floor of the tower is much as Anika left it.

A boring looking room that might have been a study or something at some point who cares.

More important is the fact that a gold and marble armature has extended over the central pillar from both the floor and ceiling. It LOOKS like the two armatures could be pulled together and connected.

Those golems are close behind, though, intent on doing unfriendly things to our heroes.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Sky Library

The dragon draws closer to Benedict. The sharp chlorine-like scent of ozone now overpowering once she opens her claws and takes the tumi into her mouth where it quickly disappears between her teeth, not even big enough to be a toothpick. She draws back her head and then a moment there's a sudden flash of light.
Lighting. So powerful that Benedict and his wife could have been blinded and possibly worse things if it hadn't been completely enclosed by Megeshi's massive jaws.

But they won't shield them from the thunder that immediately follows however. The sound so powerful that it might have caused Benedict to get thunderclapped if Megeshi hadn't pulled back her head. The sound is still so powerful that it causes books to tumble and fall from their piles even as much as the sound was dampened by the dragon.

Then Megeshi opens her jaws again and gently pushes out the tumi which is now glowing red as if it had just been made anew in a forge. It smells strongly of ozone but as he's so close to Megeshi's maw he's unlikely to notice that part. It falls onto a pile of books and instantly starts burning a hole through them.
"I would give it time to cool if I were you." The dragon speaks again, likely unnecessarily.
Magtok
Pointy Eared Baby Devourer

Post by Magtok »

[Tower of Oujet]

Saint Lazarus isn't fond of being bounced along the ground, dragged about like a stone skipping across a body of water, but she's even less fond of being beheaded by ancient golems, so she begrudgingly puts aside the complaint forming in her thoughts, and focuses her efforts instead on cutting herself loose from the vines as soon as the shock wears off, so she can roll to her feet and lunge at the golems. She's learned her lesson now, and is going to try to mind her spacing when she opts to throw herself at the machines, hoping to use the stairs against them much as they did against her, with a heavy, two-handed horizontal sweep to force them to either stumble backwards to avoid the swing, or take the hit and get swept over the side of the staircase instead.

"I'll help you figure out this place as soon as I'm done with these two! You're doing good so far, though!" she calls out. Honestly, Laz has no idea whether Anika pressed a button or pulled a switch or if the machinery just did that on its own, since she's been too busy diving headfirst into every fight she sees. Even so, a little positive reinforcement won't hurt, right?
"You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
-Daniel H. Wilson
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Wildfire]
Ironsmith wrote: Nov 28, 2022 3:02 am The crimson-suited man adjusts his tie and smirks. "I thought that would get your attention." He chuckles. "All right, then, my fine, fiendish, feathered friend. How familiar are you with the concept of tribute? Having your victims bring you gifts so you pass them over. Ever consider something like that before?"
The bird ponders this, tapping the ground with one of its mighty talons as it does. Humans have certainly tried giving tributes to it, but it has not, generally speaking, paid any attention to such sycophancy. It is such a silly concept - what is there supposed to be, that ordinary humans could offer it to the rooster, but the rooster couldn't just take from them anyway? What would be a reason for it to pass over a victim? Does the man have something in mind? The great crimson eyes peer at him inquisitively.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

Shadowcaller wrote: Dec 01, 2022 4:57 pm [Hog Heaven]

"No risk of that. Really, while I might say otherwise, I love doing this shit. Gives me a right to brag, doesn't it?" Dena asks, her eyebrows raised as she smiles back. "But you know what they say, the best way to ending up hating something is making it your job. So I try not to overdo it. If I feel like it I can do it for people who've earned it maybe once or twice depending on what they bribe me with. But as a full-time job? Only in dreams I'm afraid."

Dena chuckles and then go to sit down at the bar at her old seat again, waiting for Tsumi to follow her before continuing. "So you could say I'm something of an artist really as I only do things when I feel like it. But as tragic and pretentious as that might sound I've learned that overdoing it is bad for me and you gotta listen to yourself." The gorgon nods and then take another sip of that drink, finally finishing it.
[Hog Heaven]

"Only when you feel like it, huh? So what are you feeling tonight? Dancing aside," Tsumi says, headed back behind the bar as she talks. The crowd is now quite busy with dancing, most having forgotten Tsumi and Dena. "I'm afraid we don't have all that much to do around here... We do hold a... well. We do a little sparring, in back," She hedges. "Sometimes for money. Bets are placed. I'll admit, it's a little less respectable than the rest of my establishment here." The oni shrugs.

She goes to retrieve Dena's sandwich from the barback. It looks and smells absolutely divine, a toasty steak sandwich drizzled with cheese and a colorful zesty sauce. This is slid out in front of the gorgon. "What was that you were saying before, about food reminding me of you?" Tsumi asks, amused. "You want me to top that off?" She points at Dena's empty glass.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Hraithre wrote: Dec 02, 2022 4:35 pm [Wildfire]

The bird ponders this, tapping the ground with one of its mighty talons as it does. Humans have certainly tried giving tributes to it, but it has not, generally speaking, paid any attention to such sycophancy. It is such a silly concept - what is there supposed to be, that ordinary humans could offer it to the rooster, but the rooster couldn't just take from them anyway? What would be a reason for it to pass over a victim? Does the man have something in mind? The great crimson eyes peer at him inquisitively.
[Wildfire]

"All excellent questions." The crimson-suited man notes, taking a moment to fiddle with his cufflinks. "But that's not really the point, is it? If it were simply a question of taking what is yours, you'd be talking to my sister, not me." He gestures to the burning village around them. "Take a look around you. How much pain, agony, really, do you see? There will certainly be some; I do believe the children caught in that house will still be alive for another fifteen minutes or so, depending on whether the smoke or the fire itself kills them first. And their mother will survive them for another few years. But beyond that?"

The devil of Wrath shakes his head. "Disappointingly little. In an hour or so, this will all be cinders. The flames will die out and the corpses collapse into ash. Their suffering is over. And far too short it was." The man kicks aside a piece of burning debris, not seeming to mind the sparks it sends up his leg. "But suppose for a minute you came to another village like this one, and instead of slaughtering it entirely, you broke it in half. How fortunate the survivors must consider themselves, that after you appear, you would show them mercy." There's a mocking lilt in his tone, suggesting what the rooster can probably already guess; "mercy" would not be the right word for this at all. "And all you demand from them is a simple tribute. Bring some of their number every day to be devoured, or else risk your anger and that you will finish the job. After all... you very clearly can." He smirks and starts walking in a circle around the rooster, kicking aside debris as he goes. "The physical benefits of this are, of course, negligible. But the torment you afflict on those who live under the constant threat of being among those tributed... well, that's something you can't just pillage from the rubble, isn't it?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Neon Forest
"Huh." That was not how Kothar expected that to go. "Looks like lift box. Elf-ate-ore."

Forsaken Cathedral
"It's close. This way." Charcoal dusts herself off and heads left, following the stream along a winding tangle of narrow passages. Her enthusiasm fades and her pace slows with each twist and turn, until she suddenly stops and sits down with her legs against her chest, shaking. The magical pressure here is thick enough that you could cut the air with a knife. "I can't, I can't do this. She's right there, in the next room. I can feel Her presence." The normally hotheaded succubus is completely terrified.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Forsaken Cathedral]

Miranda stops and kneels next to Charcoal, giving her shoulder a gentle squeeze. "...I'm not going to make you go in there." She says quietly. "And if you really don't think you can manage it, you can still help from here by making sure nothing else comes into the room. But... she's dead. Sapphira's dead. Whatever is left in there is just a reflection of her. This is a chance to show to your queen, and yourself, that she no longer has any power over you." She gives Charcoal another squeeze and stands up again, taking another step forward. "...I should be back in a few minutes. If I'm not, don't wait for me; get in touch with her majesty and get us some backup. With the temple above us empty, it shouldn't be too hard to get a larger squad down here."

And with that, she continues toward the artifact.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Forsaken Cathedral
"You don't know!" Charcoal protests, "The way she twists your mind and body, if I went in there she'd... I'd... I'd just be her sniveling servant again!" Clearly the distraught succubus is going to be of no help here.

But Miranda can easily continue into the next chamber.

The larger room is the source of the underground stream, water pouring down from a crack in the ceiling, spilling over a statue of a beautiful woman, and pooling at its feet. Resting on the statue's outstretched hands is the object they seek. The black stone prism, as long as a forearm, has so many sides it might as well be a cylinder. The runes etched into it radiate a dull malevolence, sealed safely behind the crystal casing - except for a hairline crack that runs down its side.
The artifact, damaged though it may be, appears free for the taking.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Forsaken Cathedral]

"All right. Then stay here." Miranda gives her one last pat on the shoulder before continuing forward. "You did well to get this far. I'm proud of you."

And with that, she's going into the room.

Oh, geez. That's what she's been feeling since they came into the statue room. And seeing the casing it's in, Miranda can't help but think of it as being something similar in principle to a uranium fuel rod; she probably shouldn't be standing this close to it without protection, and she's definitely not carrying it out without any. Especially with Charcoal to worry about; she's not reacting well to being this close to the artifact, bringing it closer to her would be counterproductive.

Fortunately, Miranda's had to deal with such items before, and it doesn't take her long to print off a canister of the appropriate size and hopefully enough shielding for that exact purpose.

Right. Now all she needs to do is see if there are any last-minute traps to worry about.

Miranda stops short of the statue and examines it for any physical mechanisms; levers attached to the arms, a laser break line from the eyes, that sort of thing. If she doesn't find any, she'll upend the capsule and slowly bring it down over the artifact, postponing her actual attempt to remove it until the very last possible second.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Wildfire]

Ah. A ploy. In its mind's eye, the rooster sees frightened people prostrating themselves before a pyre it has built, bickering among themselves, dragging an unfortunate sacrifice to its feet... it sees people lying awake in bed, unable to sleep, dreading the morning when the rooster's crow might tell it's their turn to be burned. It closes its eyes and purrs in satisfaction, the sound like a distant thunder or beginning of an earthquake.

Yes, it could do that, for a change. The question that remains is, where? Does the man have a particular settlement in mind? Some group that's earned his ire? The rooster opens it eyes and brings its head closer to the ground, its beak almost touching the man. Where?
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Neon Forest]

Into the entrance out heroes go. Khannie reaches out to touch the control pillar and make her will known to the machine.

Time to go down.

"Yeah, all these things are underground for some reason," Khannie says as a mechanical hum follows several clanking sounds. "I think putting stuff underground made it harder for it to get blown up during the war. Oh! And don't touch the wall while we're going down; it goes really fast and it'll peel your skin off."

...she my have discovered this on accident the first time she visited one of these places.

Really that's a fairly dramatic work safety fail right there.

It doesn't take long before the lift comes to a stop and our heroes will find themselves looking out across a rather awesome sight.

They stand now in a forest, yet not.

Raised sections run along a pathway leading toward a pillar or monument of some kind, flanked by delicate trees covered in pink leaves that glow subtly in the soft artificial light. High above a sun blazes, streams of... something... flowing from it to the pillar below. The ground is somehow earth and machinery all at once. At the central monument three trails branch off, one rising toward the 'sun', one leading into a denser grove of the glowing trees, and one descending deeper into the foundry's womb. As our heroes near the pillar signs are projected from it.

Reactor
Processing
Fabrication

Each is flanked by a diamond-shaped symbol that seems to coincide with a similar symbol on the floor surrounding the pillar. Each glows with harsh magenta light.

Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Hraithre wrote: Dec 03, 2022 8:49 am [Wildfire]

Ah. A ploy. In its mind's eye, the rooster sees frightened people prostrating themselves before a pyre it has built, bickering among themselves, dragging an unfortunate sacrifice to its feet... it sees people lying awake in bed, unable to sleep, dreading the morning when the rooster's crow might tell it's their turn to be burned. It closes its eyes and purrs in satisfaction, the sound like a distant thunder or beginning of an earthquake.

Yes, it could do that, for a change. The question that remains is, where? Does the man have a particular settlement in mind? Some group that's earned his ire? The rooster opens it eyes and brings its head closer to the ground, its beak almost touching the man. Where?
[Wildfire]

"Ha! I knew you were a beast after my own heart." The man in the crimson suit smirks. "As it happens, no, I did not have a particular place I wanted to call to your attention. But, if you wanted to give it a try, I could suggest a place where conditions are ideal for that sort of thing." He strokes his chin in thought for a moment, before waving the notion away with his hand. "Bah. Far too much to consider on the spot. Hold on a moment, I'll bring up the list."

The rooster might wonder what he means by that, but not for long. The crimson-suited devil makes a gesture with his right hand, and the cinders at his feet suddenly arrange themselves into a runed circle, just big enough for the man himself to stand in comfortably.

And that's when the first wave of cold will hit.

Although "cold" is underselling it quite a bit. This is not a sudden, brisk breeze, or a light shudder of frigid air, or the insufferable chill one might experience if locked in a freezer. No, this is a biting, bitter sort of cold, the kind that cuts through thick coats and still manages to freeze their wearer's bones. Where it hurts to breathe and every lungful of air robs the body of what heat is still left inside. There will be an immediate downpour as what humidity is held up in the air is suddenly brought to a standstill, and a burst of icy wind caused by much the same thing.

Meanwhile, inside the circle, an ominous black void opens, and in doing so, admits a massive hand and arm, belonging to some vaguely-humanoid monster. It carries with it a massive scroll, which it abruptly sets at the Devil's feet, before withdrawing into the void again.

"Thank you, Nigel." The Devil quips, kicking open the scroll and running a finger down its contents. It could take him a while to actually find something, though. Certainly enough time for the rooster to process what just happened.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Tower of Oujet]

Damn, those golems were fast and they completely ignore the undead too!
Figures they wouldn't deal with the other intruders, focusing only on them.
Just because they were faster and closer to the place the golems were guarding mean they were being prioritized? Adventurer bias was what it was.

Then she felt Laz suddenly losing a lot of weight.
That or she had suddenly let go or...

Anika spares a moment to look behind her.
Oh.

The druid turns around 360 180 degrees and goes charging in to help out. She'd reply to Laz but she could only speak bear at the moment so that would have to wait until they dealt with these magical guard cats (as in, beings that guarded places like dogs. Anika just think of cats instead of dogs every time due to her culture).

[Hog Heaven]

"Sure, though give me something a bit easier to drink this time would you? Think I've learned my lesson." Dena says with a grin.
"But I suppose here comes the part where I tell you what my job is. I happen to be one of MERC's co-directors. Y'know, the famous mercenary company? Based on a god-forsaken mountain in the middle of nowhere?" No Dipsnig, she would never let this go. "So I'm not sure if I should go around sparring as fun as that might be." She does seem to be giving it some serious consideration though.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Hog Heaven]

Tsumi laughs and retrieves something a little easier-drinking for Dena. A rich light whiskey fills her glass.

"Whoah. Big time job. Would never have thought you were some kind of authority figure, that's fer sure," Tsumi says with a wry smile. "I bet it's safe up there, at the least."

"And you're probably right. Would hardly be proper." Tsumi nods sagely, lips pursed, although there's something wry still dancing in her eyes. "All that sweaty tussling. Gets you pretty filthy. Really gets the heart pounding. You're much too pretty and delicate a flower for that."
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Wildfire]

The rooster lifts its head and bristles its feathers, steam rising from where raindrops touch it. It is quite well insulated from the cold and all together too big to be chilled to the bone, but it does still feel the cold. The ground sizzles as water falls on smoldering embers on the ground, extinquishing them and turning them into caustic sludge.

The rooster cocks its head from side to side, blinking as it stares at the runic circle and the scroll. Are these those funny little scribbles humans use to store information? Such things it has typically considered beneath its notice. Well, the little man supposedly knows what he's doing... whatever it is that he's doing.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Wildfire]

The scroll flops open, revealing a length of text along the top that reads "Dolor's Shit List" and a carefully-curated series of names, ranging from specific people to places to various cabals to things the Devil of Wrath apparently just finds annoying, like "small children" and "that little nub at the end of a banana".

"...Ah, here we are." Dolor croons, tapping a name near the top of the list. "There's a hamlet not too far from here, the town of Welmet, that has had things far too easy as of late. If you wanted to toy with the concept, that would be a lovely place to start."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Murkus wrote: Dec 04, 2022 10:32 pm [Hog Heaven]

Tsumi laughs and retrieves something a little easier-drinking for Dena. A rich light whiskey fills her glass.

"Whoah. Big time job. Would never have thought you were some kind of authority figure, that's fer sure," Tsumi says with a wry smile. "I bet it's safe up there, at the least."

"And you're probably right. Would hardly be proper." Tsumi nods sagely, lips pursed, although there's something wry still dancing in her eyes. "All that sweaty tussling. Gets you pretty filthy. Really gets the heart pounding. You're much too pretty and delicate a flower for that."
[Hog Heaven]

Dena let's out a 'tsk'. "That's how you're treating customers, huh? Calling them 'delicate flowers' if they don't participate in your blood sports." Her eyebrows raise.
"Since I could use someone with that kind of attitude so hear me out here. MERC already have an agreement with bars like this one around the nexus. Discounts for members and things like that. I'm a bit more ambitious though. I figure we could overcome our self-isolation with the help of technology. So tell me Tsumi, how would you feel if MERC members could suddenly get here to your little piece of paradise instantly?" Dena holds up her hand as if to stop her. "But before you answer, I know the question in your mind already. 'How is this connected to dancing and blood sports?' Well, I'm glad you asked since if that sort of thing would happen it would be appropriate to launch it with some sort of event. Say, a dance performance? Since I happen to know another dancer in MERC. A male dancer."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Tower of Oujet]

Laz decides to cut loose!

In several ways, as it happens.

Minding her spacing this time like a proper fencer, Laz sweeps her sword at the incoming constructs! One of them awkwardly skitters away from her while the second doesn't move quite fast enough, getting smacked by the blade and sent toppling over the side of the clearly not up to code stairs. Those things need a guard rail for exactly this reason! What could the builders have been thinking?

The fallen golem smashes into the ground on the first floor pretty hard, cracks spider-webbing through the white marble and causing one of its four legs to crumble when it tries standing back up. The thing LOOKS like it's getting ready to limp back toward our heroes, but then several zombies come clawing up into the first floor and it immediately turns to open fire on them.

Huh.

Seems like they just shoot at whoever happens to be closest that isn't supposed to be in the tower.

The other golem levels its arcane blaster to begin shooting at Laz but this is about the time it probably gets tackled by a bear.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Sky Library

Benedict watches, face surprisingly placid for what's occurring before him. The gold metal glows hot, though fortunately the decorative gems are not combustible. Mergei, however, shudders and steps so her husband is between her and the dragon, and also begins to use her magic. Nothing is notable, given the nature of copper allomancy; she's projecting a bubble which interferes with senses looking for magic and coincidentally protects her from mental influence. There's no supernatural fear effect (to Earl's knowledge), but it does at least make Mergei feel more confident.

The bubble's presence might only be revealed- if Megeshi can sense magic- when Benedict's offered the tumi back and he sketches a symbol in blue light in the air and reaching through it. The flesh of his hand seems to disappear as his bones begin to glow with the blue light of the symbol as his fingers grasp its hilt, and he winces slightly. "A little hotter than expected, but nothing I cannot handle with preparation."

bc56

Post by bc56 »

Forsaken Cathedral
"Well, well, well. What do we have here?" There definitely wasn't anyone standing in that corner a moment ago. Now there's an impossibly gorgeous, devilish woman there. The resemblance to Sekhmet is striking, but this person is taller, even more generously proportioned, and wearing clothes that look like they'd fall off in a stiff breeze (except for extenuating circumstances, Sekhmet wouldn't be caught dead dressed like that).
"A mortal playacting at being a succubus?" She takes a step forward. "Did that good-for-nothing daughter of mine send you?"

Neon Forest
Science fact: there is no OSHA in the future. Please keep your arms inside the ride at all times.

Digressions aside, Kothar takes a deep breath of surprise when they emerge into the underground forest. A lot of magic must have gone into making this place. Relatedly, he has no idea what any of this means. He would gladly take a random path, but Khannie can speak the local language better. So he gestures at the holographic signpost. "What this say?"