Trog's Tavern: Roman Numerals Are Dumb

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Re: Trog's Tavern: Roman Numerals Are Dumb

Post by Keeper »

Ironsmith wrote: Dec 09, 2022 6:36 am ...

If G'nichi was expecting an explosive reaction, he isn't going to get it. Rather, the knight just mutedly pokes at its bowl of maggots, appetite momentarily forgotten.

At least, for a few moments. Before the knight's mouth glints under its helmet as it answers.

"You labor under the assumption that I do not deserve to be regarded as such." It rumbles, resting its uncovered hand on the table. "That I am not, in fact, a monster, a traitor, and a coward. That I have been wrongly accused and am allowing myself to be crushed by the weight of it." It looks up at G'nichi and lets out a deep-throated growl. "But the truth is, I am. And thus I am thrice-damned. Monsters are meant to be slain. Cowards, to die a thousand times, were the valiant to die but once. And traitors... death is far too good for them, but we make do with what we have. I do not go to my death because it is easy. I do it because it is right."
"Redemption is always within reach, no matter how far it seems." A soft silver glow emanates from between G'nichi's horns, only for a moment but very much there.
"To give up on the life you were blessed with is to spit in the face of the ones who gave it. It is never right."
The knight seems to have made the mistake of arguing about the value of life with a paladin.
Earl of Purple wrote: Dec 09, 2022 3:48 pm "I guess. I've not tried to convince the Clattering to come to Inside, actually. I should do that, but... not some will moan. And I'd have to talk to my mother, and... don't really want to do that yet." It's not that Jack doesn't care about her mother, it's just... sometimes she wonders if her mother cares about her.
"Parent problems? I get that. I'm still not sure what I'd do if I got my hands on my dad. Not that he'd recognize me anyway. And Mom's been kind of weird about me coming into money. Not bad. She just doesn't want to come to the new place with me."
Ironsmith
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Ironsmith »

"Spoken like a man who has never faced condemnation, in either respect." The knight replies harshly, grabbing a handful of maggots from the bowl and clenching them in its fist. "Would you be so forgiving were it your back which now housed my dagger? If I had betrayed you? If I had abandoned you when you needed me most?" The knight shakes its head. "That sort of crime leaves a permanent stain on a man. Let him never know peace, no matter what may follow." The knight shoves the maggots into its face, leaving an empty bowl behind.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

"A bit, yeah. I don't know who my dad is. Mum might, but... then again, she might not. Had a lot of uncles, growing up, and it could have been any one of them, or none of them. I've heard jackdaws are supposed to be monogamous, but in this I think we take after humans." Although most humans are monogamous too, Jack and her mother are a little unusual in both respects.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Ironsmith wrote: Dec 10, 2022 7:47 am "Would you be so forgiving were it your back which now housed my dagger? If I had betrayed you? If I had abandoned you when you needed me most?"
"Yes." says G'nichi without even a hint of pause.
"One of my closest associates is the same one who throws me into danger on a regular basis. Just as I have extended the hand of forgiveness to my worst enemies." Well. When they live. He's not going to hold back when they're pointing weapons at him.
"I have done the the same for the one who has tried to kill me over 'heresy' and the people who nearly lynched me. That is what it means to have faith in redemption."
Earl of Purple wrote: Dec 10, 2022 4:22 pm "A bit, yeah. I don't know who my dad is. Mum might, but... then again, she might not. Had a lot of uncles, growing up, and it could have been any one of them, or none of them. I've heard jackdaws are supposed to be monogamous, but in this I think we take after humans." Although most humans are monogamous too, Jack and her mother are a little unusual in both respects.
"I know who my dad is. He just ain't been around for friggin years. Good riddance I guess."
Mina realizes that in this particular case, Jack is talking about humans as if Mina isn't one and she has to remember most people wouldn't think she ever was one.
"Not sure I know about minotaurs. I think we're monogamous."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

"Weren't your parents, or is that part of the issue?" Jack still hasn't realised Mina wasn't born a minotaur, apparently; if she has, it's a much weirder question to ask.

Ironsmith
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Ironsmith »

"Then you are a fool." The knight rumbles, pushing back its stool and standing up. "To rely on that which has proven itself unreliable, to trust what is untrustworthy, to put your faith in the faithless, is not kindness. It is madness. And when the error of your ways catches up to you, I will not be there to tell you I said as much." The behemoth in black armor rolls its neck, metal creaking under the pressure of its head. "And to be faithless, untrustworthy, and unreliable, is a sin which I will not endure eternally. Only for the next sixty hours." The knight gives G'Nichi a little nod and turns to walk away. "Good day."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

Fenric wrote: Dec 05, 2022 3:10 pm Fenric looks thoughtful

Uhm... You would like a bit of trivia about the Nexus? Hm... The Temple of Inari is the oldest still-running temple in the Nexus, but it wasn't the first! Any guesses as to who was venerated at the first temple established in town?
Oh, that's a tricky one. It must have been quite a long time ago, right?

"Hmm, those bug people, right? Dal-something?"
"Err, no. Musta 'n the god of death."

Honeysuckle immediately second-guesses herself.
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Fenric
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by Fenric »

Recaiden wrote: Dec 12, 2022 3:25 pm Oh, that's a tricky one. It must have been quite a long time ago, right?

"Hmm, those bug people, right? Dal-something?"
"Err, no. Musta 'n the god of death."

Honeysuckle immediately second-guesses herself.
Fenric chuckles

Aha! Good try, but the answer is hidden from divination. The oddly-spelled Temple of Bahamutte was the first, founded by the half-dragon Mortia de la Luna Draco after his victory over Lykan in the arena. The first Death that dwelt here did not care for a temple, as he was a version that spoke...

Fenric clears his throat and casts a small cantrip

LIKE THIS. IT WAS UNSETTLING AT FRIST BUT WE GOT USED TO IT.

He dismisses the spell with a wave of his hand.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Earl of Purple wrote: Dec 11, 2022 5:18 pm "Weren't your parents, or is that part of the issue?" Jack still hasn't realised Mina wasn't born a minotaur, apparently; if she has, it's a much weirder question to ask.
”Dear old Dad bailed years ago. I don’t even remember him. Mom’s never dated anyone since. So for them I actually don’t know. It’s a weird thing to ask about, you know?”
It wouldn’t actually, but Mina doesn’t know that.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

"I meant minotaurs. Weren't they minotaurs, or is this new?" If it's new, it'd make it harder for Mina's dad to find her, wouldn't it? He'd look, find Mina, and think 'no way that's my daughter' and who knows where he'd go from there?

Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

That gets a laugh from Honeysuckle.

"Oh. Weirdly specific. Do you know why he spelled it that way?"

"And totally a cool way of speaking. Distinctive. Should keep it for yourself." she recommends.
As long as it doesn't get you confused with a death of fox-people...
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Gold
Old Fart Poster
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Gold »

"He's right, that was pretty good," Gaul says, nodding at Hoshiki. "Brings a certain word to mind... empathy, or something like that."

"So, that's what makes an evil spirit, then? Being avenging, apathetic, and anything but alive?
TASBot TALBot Solenoid Changer
"You monster!" -Gold Elemental - The Order of the Stick
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

"Rarely apathetic", the armored man corrects, "they're often quite passionate, all their passions are just negative ones. No joy. Just fear, anger, disgust, sorrow, so on and so forth. Quite pathetic, really."

"... Reapers aren't supposed to become evil spirits. It is supposed to be impossible", Hoshiki says gravely.

The armored man lifts up a finger. "Aha! Not so! It's not impossible. It's just illegal for a Reaper to become so. The punishment is death."

"... so you're saying, we're both criminals where we came from", Hoshiki says sullenly. He hadn't quite remembered that part, or maybe he didn't want to remember. He'd barely dealt with the idea that he might never be able to return home, but now it seems, even if he could, there would be no... home... to return to.

The armored man lets his hand down. "Oh, don't worry. We've both already suffered our punishments."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Earl of Purple wrote: Dec 15, 2022 4:37 pm "I meant minotaurs. Weren't they minotaurs, or is this new?" If it's new, it'd make it harder for Mina's dad to find her, wouldn't it? He'd look, find Mina, and think 'no way that's my daughter' and who knows where he'd go from there?
"By all accounts, Mom's a human with some ork. Dad's probably human, not that I remember. I've got the horns and all because someone decided to petition the gods to return me to the body of my previous incarnation because he didn't think I could get buff on my own." Mina grumbles, glancing at the sai on her belt.
Don't be silly, Mina. It's also because Sai is kind of prejudiced against non-minotaurs.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

"I found the wings in the sea cave I got my treasure in. This weird awkward-looking seabird with many wings boiled itself alive and these two detached from it and reattached to my back, so these wings aren't original. It's not the same, but... I do know what it's like to have your body changed unexpectedly." As opposed to expectedly, which Jack does all the time.

She's also unaware of the pun.

Ember
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Ember »

Morty wrote: Dec 02, 2022 6:24 pm "I already had one. That's why I'm 'ere." Michalson waves his right hand around him. It clearly isn't moving correctly. "I decided to go legit. Became a detective. No more runnin' around on gigs or searchin' for trouble."
"I wasn't aware you were only allowed the one. Why, I've been a teacher, adventurer, chosen hero, destroyer of nations... ah, probably shouldn't have told the detective that last one." Rhaka shrugs. "But... I sense you view stability rather more favorably than I have come to in my old age."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Earl of Purple wrote: Dec 17, 2022 4:41 pm "I found the wings in the sea cave I got my treasure in. This weird awkward-looking seabird with many wings boiled itself alive and these two detached from it and reattached to my back, so these wings aren't original. It's not the same, but... I do know what it's like to have your body changed unexpectedly." As opposed to expectedly, which Jack does all the time.

She's also unaware of the pun.
Mina shakes her head.
"That sounds creepy. I'm mostly fine." she waves a hand. "I can lift a car if I felt like it, and I'll take from your flirting that I'm at least a little hot. Even if someone insists I look like a cute farmgirl at best."
Being fair to Sai, he said she looked very attractive for his people, just not someone of high status.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

"It was creepy. There was a thing in the cave making everything mutate, but I was able to stop it or block it off I think." Earl forgets how, however. "And yeah, lots of people like big strong women, and I don't think I've seen many bigger than you." Jack smiles, meaning it as a compliment, though whether or not Mina takes it as such is potentially unclear.

FireFox
Pronouns: He/She

Post by FireFox »

A Goddess of Hunting walks in the front door and immediately stalks up and down the tavern, parallel to the bar, looking at each person present for only the half second necessary to confirm they aren't her prey. Despite her tall black boots, her footsteps don't make a sound. She's wearing a black leather duster, open in front to partially show a black plate carrier and partially hide a wood stock double barrel shotgun on a sling.
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

A Reinholdt is indeed in Trog's, a frequent, if often background visitor. Someone has to drink all of the tavern's rum and pay in exorbitant tips. That said someone also feels the need to be flirting with a particularly buxom Asari at the moment, making particular note as to the beauty of her skin. Blue really is her color after all. He's quite distracted at the moment and makes no notice of anyone else that might be looking for him as he laughs a little too loudly at one of the Asari's jokes.
► SHOW SPOILER
Gold
Old Fart Poster
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Gold »

"They punish Reapers for becoming an evil spirit by.... killing them again?" Gold asks with a confused expression. "I'm assuming that the, eh, spiritual Supreme Court means something a little different by that, too."
TASBot TALBot Solenoid Changer
"You monster!" -Gold Elemental - The Order of the Stick
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

"You ought to know by now that death ain't a one-and-done deal. It's part of a cycle where souls, bodies and minds go around and around", the armored man says, tracing a circle on the table with his finger. "Methods of execution vary, but most would be quite familiar to you: decapitation. Incineration. Sometimes, they give the one sentenced the option to off themselves, in whatever way they see fit. To preserve their honor, you know."
Morty

Post by Morty »

Ember wrote: Dec 18, 2022 1:57 am "I wasn't aware you were only allowed the one. Why, I've been a teacher, adventurer, chosen hero, destroyer of nations... ah, probably shouldn't have told the detective that last one." Rhaka shrugs. "But... I sense you view stability rather more favorably than I have come to in my old age."
"If those nations were destroyed outside my jurisdiction, I don't see a reason to pry. I'm on break anyway." Michalson gives a slight, wry smile. "And I tried to destroy a nation myself once. Or so some would tell it. I do value stability now. Maybe it's a case of havin' tried everythin' else."
FireFox

Post by FireFox »

Reinholdt wrote: Dec 20, 2022 10:27 am A Reinholdt is indeed in Trog's, a frequent, if often background visitor. Someone has to drink all of the tavern's rum and pay in exorbitant tips. That said someone also feels the need to be flirting with a particularly buxom Asari at the moment, making particular note as to the beauty of her skin. Blue really is her color after all. He's quite distracted at the moment and makes no notice of anyone else that might be looking for him as he laughs a little too loudly at one of the Asari's jokes.
Kynegetis closes in on Reinholdt like a shark in the sea. Except sharks have been known for mercy and restraint. A weapon in the shape of an old cavalry saber, but seemingly made out of uniform white light from tip to pommel, appears in her left hand. When she reaches his side, barely in his peripheral vision, she holds the blade to his neck. "If you recognize my voice, you know how serious I am when I say: if you try to look at me I'll cut your eyes out. Stay where you are and answer my questions. Please."

Her right hand sweeps back her duster and touches the grip of her shotgun while she turns her angry attention at the Asari. "You want none of this. Leave."
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Earl of Purple wrote: Dec 18, 2022 3:53 pm "It was creepy. There was a thing in the cave making everything mutate, but I was able to stop it or block it off I think." Earl forgets how, however. "And yeah, lots of people like big strong women, and I don't think I've seen many bigger than you." Jack smiles, meaning it as a compliment, though whether or not Mina takes it as such is potentially unclear.
Mina sighs only a little.
”Well, that has been a bit of the problem. Hard finding anyone of similar size. Not that it actually matters that much but it’s the principle.”
And because of her taste, admittedly.
”But still, thank you. It’s nice to hear someone say something nice from time to time.”
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Huntress and Hunted]

The Asari is already reaching for her plasma gun when Kyne's attention falls on her with a growl. She freezes, thinking better of it for a moment, despite Rein's feverish glances and slides out of the booth. "... Call me." She says, in the event the hottie lives, making a phone motion with her fingers before heading out of the scene quickly.

Rein swallows slowly before finally speaking up with a slightly wavering and slightly slurred voice. "But how do I know it's not someone imitating that voice? Anyone with a blade and a voice synthesizer could. At least hold up a mirror for me to show me your pretty face and let me get lost in your beautiful crimson eyes one last time." She wouldn't deny a dying man's final wish, would she?
► SHOW SPOILER
FireFox

Post by FireFox »

[Huntress and Hunted]

"You'll have plenty of time to get lost after you answer my questions." But Kyne steps around into his field of vision. A sharply limited field, admittedly, as she moves the swordpoint to his neck, tilting his chin up and hopefully preventing him from looking at her body armor. "First question: pull your collar down and show me both sides of your neck and clavicles. Second question: how do you Reinholdts tell each other apart?"
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

"Do they have to be your size? I mean, obviously not suggesting me here- you want a guy, right? That's not me- but... could a human or other smaller person work, or are your tastes more... specific than that?" Jack doesn't want Mina to think she's being called narrow-minded, but... well, Jack's own interests are pretty broad.

Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Huntress and Hunted]

That question wasn't a question at all! Reinholdt can't bring himself to dispute Kyne though, his gaze unable to leave her eyes as he nervously smiles and slowly pulls his collar down. Underneath, five hickies of various unfamiliar sizes shamefully adorn his neck. "See? There. Not a vampire. We went through that phase already and stuffed that Rein in the closet to never see the light of day again."

Once Kyne finishes her inspection, he'll slowly raise the collar again. "We keep barcodes and serial numbers tattoo'd on our butts, haven't you seen it? I could show you." Rein grins a little and winks, probably more aroused by the danger than Kyne would care to consider. "But, uh, no. We just... tell each other I guess. Like I'm the Trog's Rein. I get to loiter in Trog's all day and take on all the Trog quests and Trog dates. HALO Rein gets HALO to himself, Reina got MERC... etc. I suppose a Rein could kill another Rein and take his place, but that'd show up when we get together to take account and share. Then we unleash Investigator Rein. He's wacky, you don't want to meet him. Better not kill me, he might show up at your place and do a full body search for fingerprints."
"Please?"
► SHOW SPOILER
FireFox

Post by FireFox »

[Huntress and Hunted]

Kynegetis doesn't even look at Rein's neck. She just keeps staring into his eyes, her pale face tight with tension. An invisible hand touches Rein's neck from in front, counting each mark off.
"One. Two. Three. Four. Five. None of them ours."
The Huntress silently mouths "five?" at the slutty fae with begrudging respect. "You don't have anything tattoo'd on your ass. Yet." She had almost forgotten that they had this in common, the danger in her hand cutting both ways. She imagines him pulling a gun and bites her black lip.
"Whoa, hey. Both of you focus, this is important." The unseen Goddess apparently sitting in the booth across from Reinholdt gently chides them. "We need to follow up with the last Rein to have a conversation with us."
"I hope it's that Investigator Rein. Two cats skinned with one sharp stone or whatever."
"Ignore her and listen to me. We know it's not you or Reina. Probably not HALO Rein or the Rein playing housewife to our mysterious aunt, they seem busy."
"To be clear, we're not asking you to tell us exactly how many of you there are. But can you point us in a not-wrong direction?"
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters