Mallside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Re: Mallside

Post by Murkus »

[The Bookstores]

"I hope they don't want to leave it at that. But yes," Div agrees, giving Batu a quick one-armed hug. Some of his brothers would be appalled to hear what he's saying... they're Batu's family! But they'd also be appalled to learn what they did to Batu. Div has a different, more... practical outlook on family than most Frescots.

Tags:
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

Shopping Trip
A hellish portal opens and two girls step out in front of the big sign near the entrance that lists all the stores.
Hopefully Skye is used to brilliant clean edifices of modern technology by now. Otherwise the mall is going to be breathtaking.
"There's gotta be a shop that caters to people shaped like us. Maybe under 'specialty clothes?' Let's see..." Mary has little amazement at the mall and its multitudinous variety of both shops and customers. She's an Inside native, it's normal to her.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Halae »

[Shopping Trip]

When Skye steps through, her face is etched with a frown as she takes in the new environment. That's a lot of people. She'll mostly follow along behind Mary, trying to keep an eye on everything at once and being slightly overwhelmed.
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Shopping Trip
"Melonie's? 'Apparel for girls with big girls.' That's got to be it." Mary sighs. She doesn't appreciate the pun. "Come on, it's this way."
They pass by a number of colorful shops.
"I should ask... When you say you're still growing... How quickly? Are you going to need magically adjusting clothes so you don't outgrow them in a few weeks?"
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Shopping Trip]

"I was nearly flat chested four months ago," Skye says, following along behind Mary, "My hips have grown as well, though they seem to have slowed down considerably."
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Shopping Trip
"And you have no idea how big you'll end up. That sounds like a curse or something." It gives Mary an idea for her ongoing feud with Aiko, actually. "You should probably get something enchanted to grow with you then. It'll cost more now, but it's cheaper in the long term."

"Well, here we are." The colorful sign depicts a pair of stylized watermelons. Mary pushes the door open and a bell jingles.
"Welcome to Melonie's! We have the bust deals on clothes! Santa and elf outfits are on sale for the upcoming Thanksmas season." The greeting comes from a blonde woman behind the desk who could just as easily be a client as an employee. Her name tag shows that she is Melonie herself and the melons on the sign are not an exaggeration. "I haven't seen you two before. Do you know what you're looking for? We have all kinds of clothes in sizes from "unrealistic" to "impossible," including enchanted garments in case you can't get enough support within the laws of physics. Or if you're shopping for a smaller friend, why not check out our selection of melons, jugs, racks, and knockers?"
Mary looks at Skye. She's the one who needs clothes, so she should probably be the one leading in here.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Shopping Trip]

Skye is momentarily overwhelmed, between her attraction to Melonie and the peppiness of the woman.

She collects herself relatively quickly, however, "Ah... I need something that fits, and I appear to still slowly be growing. I don't need anything fancy, just functional. My current wardrobe is failing me."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Shopping Trip
"You'll want our special self-adjusting tops then," Melonie gets up from her seat. "Underclothes too?" she questions then turns to Mary. "And for you?"
"I'll browse. If you need me, just shout," she tells Skye.
Melonie takes Skye back and indicates a section of clothes. "These ones are enchanted to resize to fit. It should work whether you've got a wish gone wrong or out-of-control nanobot implants. Bras and corsets with the same enchantment are there, and the ones on that rack also reduce the weight which should make it easier to balance. Any questions?"
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Shopping Trip]

"Yes. Ah... how much are these going to cost?" Skye fidgets. She has some funds, but not a ton.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Shopping Trip
Melonie quotes a reasonable price to Skye...
Reasonable for enchanted items, which may still be out of her price range. "They're worth it. I'm wearing a set right now," Is the high price something that warrants calling Mary? Or maybe Skye can try to bargain with Melonie. Or if all else fails, there's always the five-finger discount
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Shopping Trip]

Skye grimaces, after a moment of looking at them, she says, "... I'll take a bra and this corset. I suppose I'll have to wear unenchanted things over them."

This is going to be so bad for her bank account...
Last edited by Halae on Nov 26, 2023 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Shopping Trip
"Don't look at me like that," Melonie responds to the grimace, "If I gave you clothes for free then everyone would be wanting some and my business model would be busted. But I don't want to see you go without clothes either." She needs to stay in business, but she's still a nice person. "Would you consider a part-time job? You could get the employee discount." Does Skye have the time for that?
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Shopping Trip]

Skye blinks in surprise, considering that, "... It would have to be after classes, but I'd be willing to work my way. More money would be extremely useful, as would be the discount."

Really, this is quite generous. And she has plenty of free time as-is.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Shopping Trip
"I really do need a new assistant, since my last one ran off to join a succubus cult," Melonie explains, "I can work around your schedule, I just need someone to take care of the mundane business like helping people find things and ringing up orders sometimes. That way I can work on the magical side of things without closing the shop to do it." Really she needs a few assistants so that they can rotate shifts, but one is a good start. "If you're interested we can go to the office and get the paperwork out of the way."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Shopping Trip]

Skye doesn't need additional encouraging there, "Lead the way!"

This isn't something she's ever actually done before, but she can absolutely accomplish it. If it gives her discounts and access to the things here, that should severely improve her wardrobe options, and work in general is useful to have for the wealth it brings in, no matter how meager. She's not exactly operating as a nomad at the moment; a sedentary job is entirely appropriate.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Shopping Trip
The office is a small room, somewhat cramped with both unopened boxes of clothes and magical paraphernalia. Melonie gets a form out of a file cabinet, marks a few numbers on it, and pushes it across the desk to Skye. "Here, go ahead and fill this out." It's a pretty normal employment form. Name, banking information, and so on. But there are also blanks for clothing sizes, one for any magical affinities, and a last box for "additional information."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Shopping Trip]

Skye of course will fill it out with her usual pictographic language; the Nexus isn't actually incredible at translating it due to how much space it takes up on a page, making it an awkward read for everybody involved. She'll go through all the details relatively reasonably, though for clothing sizes she writes in 'currently increasing' for her chest on top of the cup size of the bra she's currently wearing.

As for magical affinities, she writes in 'powered by the corrupt aurora' and in Additional Information a note that emotional attachments are potentially dangerous due to the power source she has.

Hopefully that's not a dealbreaker.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Shopping Trip
Melonie looks the form over. "This seems in order... Except... What do you mean by 'emotional attachments are dangerous?'" That sounds like a potential risk. "How 'attached' does someone need to be for that to be a problem?"
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Shopping Trip]

"It requires them to be close friends or hated enemies with me, and even then I can still control it for the most part," Skye says worriedly, "As long as we keep a professional distance between us there will be no risk at all."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Shopping Trip
"Oh I was thinking about the customers. But that's all right then," Melonie nods and signs the bottom of the form. "I'll put together a uniform for you. Like what I'm wearing." She doesn't look like she's wearing anything special. Just a green tank top. Of course given the presence of magical clothes here, it could be special in a more subtle way. "You go find what else you need and when you're done I'll have everything at the register, okay?"
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Shopping Trip]

Skye nods, greatly relieved by having a path forward that allows her to actually update her wardrobe instead of needing to replace shirts constantly. She'll pick out a few of them, a bra, and a corset to take to the front. It's not a lot, but she does still have some other clothes baggy enough to wear over them, and if she'll be working here she can arrange to buy more as needed; this will do just fine for now.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Shopping Trip
"Hey, what happened?" Mary asks when she finds Skye again. "And what do you think? Too much?" She's not talking about clothes, she's holding a pair of round glass pitchers inscribed with the words "I see you checking out my jugs" and the Melonie's logo. "Yeah okay it's not something I'd actually buy but it's funny, right?" She also has a small bag with clothes in it, so she won't be leaving empty-handed
"I'm ready whenever you girls want to check out," Melonie calls.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Shopping Trip]

"She offered me work, so I accepted," Skye answers Mary, "I'm not sure what you're referring to. They're just pitchers."

Ah, of course. The pun doesn't work in her language. Friggin' translations.

Still, she places the collected garments on the counter for checkout. She doesn't have a lot of money, but enough for this with the discount in play, and the promise of more coming along.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Shopping Trip
"It's a play on... Ah, forget it." Mary puts the jugs back. "Good for you. I've got everything I want,"
Melonie adds a green tank top, a pair of black pants, and a spare bra to Skye's bag. That last bit isn't strictly part of the uniform, but Melonie figures her new employee could use it, and she has an excuse to be helpful. "I'll see you after school starting next week," she reminds Skye, "Have fun!"
As they leave the shop, the bell jingling behind them, Mary speaks up again. "You should find a place to change. And then... Is there anything else you need while we're here?"
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Shopping Trip]

"I have most of everything I need," Skye answers, "It was just clothing I was having trouble with. There should be, ah, a washroom around here, shouldn't there?" Skye clearly isn't sure how to navigate a mall quite yet.

"While we're here actually, is there anything you need?"
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Shopping Trip
"There should be one nearby," Mary agrees. She'll insist on solving Skye's clothing problem first.
Once that's done, she considers. "I could use a new grimoire. I'm nearly done with the one I have... And I'd really like to learn some healing magic."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Shopping Trip]

Now that catches Skye's interest, "Healing magic?" she says it with an air of wonder. She's from a world that doesn't really have healing magic; the closest you can get is fleshcraft, "Is that so simple to learn?"
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Shopping Trip
"I have no idea," Mary admits. "But as long as it's compatible with me, y'know, being a demon, my it can't hurt to try. Maybe it'd help fix my problem." Ah yes, Mary's mysterious "problem" that she refuses to talk about. The reason she needs a walking stick. That problem. "At least it might ease the pain. Being immune to poison sounds great, but it turns out medicines are all very specialized poisons." So she can't take painkillers.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Shopping Trip]

"I could put you through my tribe's healing rituals, if you think that'd help."

It's folk healing, though, so whether Mary thinks that's reasonable is a question.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Shopping Trip
"I don't know. I got hurt really badly, and it's not my body that's injured," Mary responds skeptically. "And I can't do anything holy. That would just make things worse." Her condition is pretty much impossible to treat except by simply waiting to heal naturally. The odds of anything working are slim.
Mary isn't going to think it might help unless Skye encourages it.