Riverside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: Riverside

Post by Shadowcaller »

Ironsmith wrote: Dec 14, 2022 7:41 am [Room with a Goat]

"...You didn't?" Melody sniffs, wiping a finger along the corners of her eyes. "...I... I think I get it, yeah. I can't say she was wrong, but..." The succubus shakes her head. "...I do feel a bit better, yeah. It doesn't seem quite so... random, given that. Like she just woke up today and decided 'hey, you know that Melody Hopskins girl? Fuck her.' And... I still think Manny's plan was awful, and she shouldn't have done what she did. But at least it all makes sense, messed up as it is." Without thinking about it too much, she's placed her hand on Jaahlyn's back, giving her a gentle, reassuring rub, almost the way she might if she were talking to a cat. Or a goat.

"...I don't think I should talk to Euphoria." She adds a little belatedly. "She... doesn't really like to talk about her life that much. And considering most of it was in the Abyss, I can't say I'd blame her. And if I push her too much, she gets mean. I want to say it's not on purpose and it's just the way she is, but... I don't know. After a certain point, it just gets hard to tell. She's the most demon-y among us, you know?"

After another moment of silence, she lays back on the grass and looks out at the sky over them, still drinking in the sound of the waves below. "...Do we have to leave right away?" She asks. "I... I'm not saying we need to stay here, but... it's still a nice place."
[Room with a Goat]

Poor Jaahlyn, treated as a goat even when she didn't even look like one!

Still she considers Melody's preposition. Staying? Hmm...

"It is." Jaahlyn agrees with a nod and sits down on one of the stone benches which lined the inside of the temple. "I do have a question though. Something I've been wondering ever since I met you guys actually."

She brings up her hand and starts to count on her fingers. "So we got Ecstasy, meaning overwhelming pleasure or joy. Euphoria, with pretty much the same meaning. Mania, which is 'crazy' but can also mean passion. Then Malady for... disease." The fey raises her eyebrow, smiling. "Is there some in-joke behind that one which I'm not getting?

[MERC Office]

"If I thought it did I wouldn't have said anything, sir." Jaahlyn remarks with a curt nod. "Since if you didn't fire me after the Siana incident I don't think you would over anything I said just now. If it makes you feel better they don't know about me or my predecessor." A beat. "The 'demons' that is. So there's no chance they're going to seek me out or start praising me like some long-lost goddess. The fey made sure not-me was completely forgotten by mortals, something which hurt them more than anything else."

Tags:
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Shadowcaller wrote: Dec 14, 2022 9:02 pm [Room with a Goat]

Poor Jaahlyn, treated as a goat even when she didn't even look like one!

Still she considers Melody's preposition. Staying? Hmm...

"It is." Jaahlyn agrees with a nod and sits down on one of the stone benches which lined the inside of the temple. "I do have a question though. Something I've been wondering ever since I met you guys actually."

She brings up her hand and starts to count on her fingers. "So we got Ecstasy, meaning overwhelming pleasure or joy. Euphoria, with pretty much the same meaning. Mania, which is 'crazy' but can also mean passion. Then Malady for... disease." The fey raises her eyebrow, smiling. "Is there some in-joke behind that one which I'm not getting?
[Room with a Goat]

"Um, well... sort of." Melody rubs at her arm awkwardly. "I don't know if you've noticed, but demons tend to have names that are sort of... bad. Like, ominous, in some way. Usually, we just take our mortal names and pick something awful that's kind of close to it. The other three members of the band were lucky, in that they had names that sort of lent themselves to the whole 'sexy but still bad for you' vibe DEATHKISS thrives on. Stacy became Exstacy, and... I mean, yeah, that does mean 'overwhelming joy', but the key word there is overwhelming. She sort of makes you lose your senses. Euphoria, same, but I don't know where her name actually came from. And Marianne, she got to be Mania, which is an actual form of being crazy. Me, I..." She sighs. "...I mean, it's two letters away. 'Melody' and 'Malady'. Picking anything else would've been a stretch. And... honestly, compared to the others, I've really sort of felt the distinction, you know? They want to party, and me, I'm... well, I'm the wet blanket."

Melody shrugs. "...I mean, I guess if you squint, maybe I fit in after all. I mean, how many songs are there where people describe falling in love as feeling a bit like getting sick? Or when someone you love doesn't love you back? Or when you love someone but they're not around?" She picks up a loose stone and turns it over in her hands, examining it as she continues to explain. "...From what the fans tell me, that... actually sort of fits. Like, everyone thinks the others are all hot, in their own way, but... I don't know, they seem to pick up on something very girl-next-door about me. While the others get lewd letters, for some reason people want to date me." She gives Jaahlyn a little smile and drops the rock. "I don't see how or why. But... it's kind of sweet, you know?"
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Room with a Goat]

"'Lovesick' would have been my guess, yeah. So I can see it." Jaahlyn replies with a gesture at Melody. "Though while I only saw one of your concert to me you were the one that kept the rest grounded. I mean, I am the 'wet blanket' of satyrs so trust me when I say that people need wet blankets more than people like to admit. If there's no straight man then everything just gets out of control and not in a entertaining or good way. If nothing else I think the others need to bounce off you so they can stand out better. That's essential to any group dynamic really." She shrugs.

"But demons get to pick out their own names? Is that a rule or do you just want to avoid the awkwardness of someone you knew in life coming across you? Since I figured it was just stage names, not something all demons have."

A beat.

"And before you ask, yes, Jaahlyn is my real name."
Last edited by Shadowcaller on Dec 15, 2022 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Room with a Goat]

"I always understood it to be our way of acknowledging that our old lives are over." Melody replies, shuffling up next to Jaahlyn. "A lot of demons never even leave the Abyss, so it's not like running into old friends is a universal concern. Not unless you knew a lot of people and they were all horrible." She bobs her head side-to-side at that, internally acknowledging that the possibility had merit. "I suppose it's not quite a requirement, but... when you're dealing with people named things like 'Malady', 'Voracity', and 'Desperada', 'Linda' stands out, and not in a way that's conducive to your health." Her cheeks darken as she considers the implications. "...Although, yes. It... is sort of fortunate that my living relatives wouldn't recognize my name if they heard about DEATHKISS. The things my mom would say if she saw me on last month's album..."

"I thought I was raising a doctor. What a waste of potential."

Malady bolts upright and glances around frantically, as though expecting to find the source of the voice sitting in the temple with them; fortunately, Missus Hopskins is nowhere to be found. It must have been another reflected memory.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Room with a Goat]

Jaahlyn remains seated but also looks up. Since she too had heard that voice.
"Right, that's a thing that can happen." She confirms once it's clear there's no one there. "As with my thoughts earlier it's easy that memories slip in if you think about them too hard. Might also have to do with the fact your memories are starting to get absorbed into mine which means we need to get this show on the road soon." Jaahlyn let's out a small sigh. "Me seeing your memories is bad enough but once you start seeing mine, well, that means you're getting closer to becoming absorbed."

The fey stands up and gestures at the landscape around them. "Since if this island is my current mind and memories-" Her hand moves towards the ocean. "Then the endless water around it would be the rest of me. Not only all the thousands of years of memories I've chosen to forget but also those of my predecessor. Which includes stuff like 'how the world was made' and all the billions of years that comes with that." She involuntarily shudders as the ocean for a moment seems to take on a darker tone before returning to its glittering sereneness . "So I think we do need to talk to Euphoria and Marianne." Jaahlyn turns to Melody. "You feeling up for that? You would have to talk through me which might be a bit awkward..."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Room with a Goat]

Melody pales at the reminder that they're on the clock, then shakes her head. "...If I'm being honest? No. No, I am absolutely not ready to talk to them. But... I don't think I ever will be, so there's no point in putting it off." She takes one last look out at the ocean, not seeming to notice the ominousness that briefly overtook it, before turning back to Jaahlyn. "...So, um... how exactly do we...?" She trails off, looking up and down the not-currently-a-satyr as if something about her appearance is going to give away how possession was going to work between them.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Room with a Goat]

The fey clears her voice as she was suddenly expected to take charge. "Erm... what about this. I will take us there and explain the situation to them and then you can take control once they know what's about to happen?" Jaahlyn suggests.

"Since right now we- I, are trancing in an alleyway. That's how I keep my thoughts in check, see?" She taps her head with her index finger. "I'm not doing anything but focusing on this conversation right now. But as soon as I stop our thoughts are going to start bleed over into one another's like they did earlier. Which is why I recommend us trying to not think about anything while I'm doing that. Either that or focus on something really mundane. Like counting numbers in your head or trying to recall what you had for breakfast the last few days. Stuff like that that."

She wouldn't even mention why they would be doing this since as soon as she explained it was to keep private thoughts away from one another it would be hard to think about anything else. The mind really liked to sabotage itself like that.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[MERC Office]

"I don't make a habit of prying into my people's pasts. Especially when it's the esoteric kind." Dipsnig waves his hand. "That does make it simpler if the demons don't know who you are. Or were. Or both. So with that in mind, I'm ready to file it away as not a priority for now."
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[And Fusago!]
Shadowcaller wrote: Dec 06, 2022 12:17 pm Fusago understands now.

They shall talk to the other yu-seeds and they shall communicate together until a decision has been made regarding the offer.
A image is shown of the general, or rather the entity which they are connected to, standing before what must be the yu-seeds. Speaking to them. Making an argument. They might get the impression that they should be ready to argue on their own behalf once the yu-seeds have their "hearing" regarding this. It's unlikely that all of the seeds will accept them but they will only need a majority in this case.
The other entity feels prepared. They have all the things which have happened in the Nexus, all the changes it has seen since its beginning, to make their argument. And of course the other yu-seeds will be under an evaluation of their own. Who knows but there might be one in the network that calls off he whole idea?

Still, maybe gathering more information on the yu-seeds would be a good idea, to focus on those most likely to be supportive of the idea.
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Shadowcaller wrote: Dec 15, 2022 10:40 am [Room with a Goat]

The fey clears her voice as she was suddenly expected to take charge. "Erm... what about this. I will take us there and explain the situation to them and then you can take control once they know what's about to happen?" Jaahlyn suggests.

"Since right now we- I, are trancing in an alleyway. That's how I keep my thoughts in check, see?" She taps her head with her index finger. "I'm not doing anything but focusing on this conversation right now. But as soon as I stop our thoughts are going to start bleed over into one another's like they did earlier. Which is why I recommend us trying to not think about anything while I'm doing that. Either that or focus on something really mundane. Like counting numbers in your head or trying to recall what you had for breakfast the last few days. Stuff like that that."

She wouldn't even mention why they would be doing this since as soon as she explained it was to keep private thoughts away from one another it would be hard to think about anything else. The mind really liked to sabotage itself like that.
[Room with a Goat]

Melody nods and closes her eyes. "...Okay. Okay, I think I can do that."

As soon as Jaahlyn gives the indication that she's going to try moving again, Melody sets to work trying to remember breakfast that morning, since Jaahlyn recommended it.

It was... oh, geez, she knows this one...

That's right. Pancakes. Exstacy was cooking them, and Melody remembers she made a big show out of drizzling the batter out of the bowl. Some of it even got on the griddle. At least they'd only have to worry about laundering her apron afterwards... it's not like she was wearing anything e-

Ooookay maybe she should focus on a different aspect of breakfast. Before she makes things any more awkward for Jaahlyn. Let's see... what was Marianne (the bitch) doing? That's right, she didn't sleep over the night before (which might explain why Euphoria was abnormally pent-up all throughout breakfast). The angel showed up about halfway through with a box of donuts under her arm. Melody can't figure out if that was sweet or thoughtless of her; she must have forgotten it was pancake day, but then she was trying to be nice and bring them literally heavenly pastries, but again that seems a bit like rubbing their noses in it and comes off worse in hindsight...

Okay, forget Marianne. What about Euphoria? She seemed... unusually tense that morning. She brought a newspaper to the table and was incredibly focused on reading it, which Melody thought was odd because she had it on good authority that the demoness was functionally illiterate. Maybe she was just looking at the pictures? There were some interesting ones today. Or maybe she just wanted the excuse to make sure the other succubi didn't talk to her. Melody certainly wasn't going to. She could take a hint.

And then she got all pissy as soon as Marianne walked in. Or... something like that. She did that thing where she stood Marianne against the wall and blocked her path with her arm. Followed by a declaration that they needed to have a serious talk, which Melody and Stacy both knew meant they should vacate the premises as quickly as possible. Fortunately, Stacy had some sort of author thing (The Littlest Imp was apparently doing really well), so Melody was able to get some time to herself and go visit her grave like she'd been meaning to.

...Her grave.

Ooh, that one made her mad. "Devoted daughter", her ass. She'd hoped being hit by a bus would be a wake-up call for her parents, but no, even when she was dead they had to make it all about themselves.

...Jaahlyn wasn't supposed to hear that.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Project Icarus]

It may have only been thirty hours since activating Project Icarus, but it's felt like two weeks to Mister Squiggles and HALlelujah. Two weeks of constant adjustments, near disasters, panic, and trying to unload the buffer properly while keeping the system from collapsing under the weight of the energy requirements. More than once were they on the verge of overloading the power grids and causing city wide blackouts.

After all the turmoil and distress, they finally succeed. Yet victory rings hollow, even after learning this would be the result beforehand. Ilpholin's body and head lay on the transportation pad, despairingly apart from one another. Mister Squiggles chitters soft sobs and even the sardonic AI offers no words to break the situation's morose atmosphere, letting his spider friend grieve. Instead, HALlelujah merely contacts Tauron separately to update him. They had told him about the transportation issues in the event they needed a doctor upon the completion of the journey. Now they suppose they only need him to confirm the time of death.
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Room with a Goat]

Once Jaahlyn stops trancing the world is returned to darkness for Melody. However, as she's recalling the events of breakfast she might notice that her own recollection is causing her to see what she remembers within what would otherwise be a void. So as she doesn't even seem to have a body in here the mental images seem more real than she is right now.

But they're not photos or videos. They're colored by her own perceptions and feelings. Perhaps making Marianne seem all the more sinister and make all those awkward parts stand out even more than they would have originally. Her mental camera really zooming in on that 'devoted daughter' part while playing her own commentary over it like a narrator.

Then Melody will suddenly feel as if her hair was being chewed on. Which is especially bizarre as she didn't even seem to have hair at the moment. Or hands to chase away the offending chewer for that matter.
"Maaah!" She hears a bleat from the darkness.

This is joined by another familiar voice. "Hello Melody, you have to excuse the goat. She really took a liking to your hair it seems." A chuckle.
"Do you mind if we keep you company a bit? It's our own method for keeping stray thoughts from reaching you. To fill that empty space with thoughts not completely our own. Do not fret though, I am as much Jaahlyn as the goat is. But you should still call me Baphoreth just to make the distinction clear."

[Project Icarus]

It was funny, or perhaps not terribly funny, that Tauron was just watching something called 'the nexus funniest botched resurrection videos' as the AI contacted him. Not since he thought it was terribly funny or even entertaining, he simply found it fascinating.

"I wasn't ready to say good bye, I-"
Beyond the heavy iron bars creature that was once the ressurectionists girlfriend scurries away like a spider as the camera pans to it. Each movement it makes seem to make its bones creak.
"What have I done?"
This is followed by the studio audience laughing.

Tauron does not laugh yet he keeps watching until he hears the call.

"Yes? Ah, I will be on my way."
Tauron turns off the tv and heads to the teleporter. His artificial eyes falling on the corpse as soon as he enters the room. Well, now the program he had been watching almost seem ironic in retrospect...
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Room with a Goat]

Ah. That would explain the rose petals and the sultry saxophone solo in the background when Melody was watching Stacy make pancakes. And the fact that the room temperature rose ten degrees while watching her and then promptly dropped twenty when she saw Euphoria come in. And why Marianne kept cutting between a genuinely amiable smile and a slasher-villain-style grin.

All of that not seeming to matter as much when she feels something chewing on her hair. It's very distracting.

It's the coconut. Has to be.

This, of course, turns her thoughts to the last time she would have applied the shampoo, which was in the shower that morning. She took her time with it; after living in a tour bus for the past several months, and the Abyss for nearly a year before that, a hot shower was a luxury she'd been sorely missing and was not about to squander by making it quick. The room turns steamier (in the sense that there is suddenly much more steam, which collectively serves to make it much more opaque) when she remembers that Jaahlyn, or at least a part of her, is watching. Melody quietly wishes she had enough control over the process to throw censor bars or clothes over her memory-self, but she'll work with what she has.

I, um, guess you don't need me to introduce myself, then. And even if you did, I... think we're sort of past greetings at this point.

Hard to be gradual about the "getting to know you" thing when she's having this conversation with a shower curtain wrapped around her and impatiently waiting for her girlfriend best friend with benefits, with whom neither are exclusive, to finish brushing her teeth and get out so she can get back to cleaning herself in peace.

...It's probably still bad for me to talk to you, though, right? If we're trying to keep our thoughts separate?

...And, um... eyes up here.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Room with a Goat]

"I have three eyes and can see the present, past and the future. Yet in none of those perspectives I focus your bosom. So be at peace, child. I know you don't see me in that way and while the Jaahlyn you know might feel a casual sort of lust for you that she won't act upon, that's not the case for me." Baphoreth claims.

"But I have to ask, do the four of you actually live together? Since I find that adorable."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

[Scavenging]

It's a rather quiet afternoon in this corner of Eastside. The sky is clear and the sun shines brightly, not quite able to warm the chilly air as it glints off piled snow and iced-over asphalt. Somewhere, a teenage girl steps out of a high school, takes a moment to register the temperature, and decides she does not like it one bit.

Dulcinea shivers in her blush-pink jacket and pulls it close around her lanky form, fumbling in her mittens for a moment and internally cursing the very concept of large fashionable buttons. Then, she straightens with a frosty huff, shakes strawberry curls from her eyes, and reaches out to retrieve a cane leant by the side of the entryway.

"Ugh, absolutely dreadful. Why did I ever volunteer to stay late!" It's a statement she's probably made three times in as many weeks, pulling her bookbag into place and setting off down the sidewalk. The girl walks with a limp and uses her cane to support her right leg, keeping a keen eye on the paved tiles in front of her for any icy patches or annoying snags.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

[Scavenging]

On Dulcinea's usual route home she'll pass by a familiar corner store with big, glass windows up front emblazoned with various advertisements for what you can find inside. It's a familiar stop for her given that it's directly on her route to and from school. Not just her own route, but it overlaps with her shared route with with Reilana. Speaking of which...

Dulcinea's old friend is loitering on the sidewalk outside the shop. She's got one of her oversized black sweaters on, accompanied by some artfully torn jeans and her big combat boots. She seems pretty lightly dressed for the winter to the average eye, but Dulcie knows that cold doesn't seem to hit her the same way that it does most.

The other girl's attention is agitatedly shifting from looking up at a tree that grows near the shop, the shop itself, and her surroundings. It's on one of these passes that she notices who's approaching. "Oh hey, Dulcie!" She waves. Her usually moody stormcloud of an expression is parted by a smile as if like the sun peeking through. A familiar sight for Dulcinea.
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Scavenging]

Dulcie's pointy ears perk up, and the moment she looks over and sees Reilana the sour pout on her face sweetens into something wholesome and bright. "Kahu!" She hurries over with an uneven spring to her step, ice-blue eyes glittering. Once she reaches her moody BFF, she reaches out and pulls her into a quick hug.

"Oh gods, you weren't waiting for me were you?" Dulcie pulls away, eyes full of concern. "I'm so sorry, we were planning out some holiday treats the cheer squad, and Vickie just had to agonize over the details as she always does, and we went like a full half-hour over time! It was such a bore!" She rolls her eyes. "If I'd known you were out here standing in this awful cold, I would've left right at the hour!"
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Scavenging]

"Well I-" Reilana runs her hand through her jet black, meticulously straightened bob, flashing the colour of her electric blue underdye. "I was actually headed home. Since you said you were staying after school." Dang, should she have waited? The way Dulcie frets about it kinda makes her wish she had...

She pushes that thought away, glad that her ever so slightly darker complexion obscurs the faint blush on her cheeks. "I actually got distracted. Look." She steps alongside her friend and points to guide her vision up. The tree out front actually had a pretty large branch grow close to the shop, and there's a small flock of crows fluttering around it, squawking and showing a lot of interest in a vent on the side of the building. A vent that's not fully closed; it looks quite deteriorated.
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Scavenging]

There's just the briefest crease of a frown before Dulcie's focus gets caught up in the lovely colors of that bright blue hair. She wasn't waiting for her after all? Wait, no, that's good! Poor girl wasn't out here in the freezing cold because little old Dulcie just couldn't hurt Vickie's feelings by insisting she took a chill pill and stopped being antsy about the budget, it was really just-

"Huh? I... hold on-" She squints and leans forward a little, looking up at the birds and furrowing her brow. "What are they making a fuss about? There's not something up in that vent, is there?" Did something piss them off and crawl in there?
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Scavenging]

"I don't know for sure, but I think something might have climbed in there to die." She turns her head slightly so Dulcie can catch the sparkle in her eye. "And I'm dying to get up there and check it out, but there's no way I can get even halfway up the tree without the shopkeep coming out to chase me off. I think he's already noticed me hanging around." She huffs dramatically.
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Scavenging]

"Oh!" Dulcie's brows shoot up, looking between the vent and the delinquent. Slowly, her lips spread into a cheeky smile. "I should have known it was something to do with that little hobby of yours," she teases, her mellifluous voice breaking into a bubbly giggle. It was so cute how eager Reilana got about dead things - no matter how ghoulish the subject matter, you really can't help looking at the enthusiasm she has for it and getting a little passionate yourself.

"Hmm..." the half-elf taps a finger to her cheek. "I think I have a solution to your dilemma, my dear. I'll just go on in and take up all that man's attention for you, okay?" She smiles. "All you have to do in return is promise to show me what fun new trick you're puzzling out now, and maybe pay me back next time I need to study~" Dulcie barely waits for a yes before she moves to enter the store.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Shadowcaller wrote: Dec 16, 2022 10:44 pm [Room with a Goat]

"I have three eyes and can see the present, past and the future. Yet in none of those perspectives I focus your bosom. So be at peace, child. I know you don't see me in that way and while the Jaahlyn you know might feel a casual sort of lust for you that she won't act upon, that's not the case for me." Baphoreth claims.

"But I have to ask, do the four of you actually live together? Since I find that adorable."
[Room with a Goat]

...Oh. Um, good. That's... that's good to know.

It really is. If she can be certain Baphoreth is being honest, that is. She's run into people who have claimed to have no interest in her that way whatsoever who later turned out to be either lying through their teeth or painfully lacking in self-awareness. Both of which made life more than a little awkward for her.

Thankfully, before the sentiment can pull up any such instances, Baphoreth changed the subject. That was nice of... her? It's hard to tell, but she's assuming since that's part of Jaahlyn, they share a sex.

Well... yeah. We've all been together since we left the Abyss. And for a while before we left it, too. We've been leaning on each other this whole time, and to be perfectly frank... we don't really have anyone else.

It doesn't take long for Melody's mind to make her point for her. In life, she was always a shy girl who had trouble making friends (real friends, at any rate), and her home life was...

Ugh.

So she didn't really have much of a social circle. Which probably wasn't a surprise to anyone who's been paying attention, which would include Baphoreth.

Exstacy was sort of her opposite in that regard, from what Melody remembered. Total party girl, the type who would bring beer to any casual social event and not leave until the cops came. Melody thought she must have been popular, but as she confessed to Malady during a particularly rough night, most of the relationships she ended up fostering this way were temporary and superficial; long enough to hit a high point, and then abruptly cut off before there were any real commitments involved.

skrrrrrrrch!

thwam!

The memories around Melody get a little blurry here. There's a brief moment when Exstacy had pulled her into a surprising, passionate kiss, followed by a hard shove, the street spinning under her as she stumbles in a drunken daze, and the flash of headlights coming her way, along with the scream of brakes being hit far too late to avoid disaster.

...That's... probably an extreme example.

Jaahlyn's already heard Marianne's sob story, and when it passes in front of Melody's eyes, it'll seem unchanged; a quiet confession on a sleepless night that she'd been complicit in some shady business in life, which was materially rewarding but left her feeling guilty, and eventually ended with her own intoxication-assisted death. Melody was never quite convinced it was an accident, but Mania was far too driven a succubus for the only alternative she could think of to make much sense, either. In any case, whatever associates she had in life were dead or dying when they finally got out of the Abyss, and Mania hadn't been intent on reconnecting with them.

Euphoria probably had that problem even more so. Five hundred years of demonhood... she's almost certainly outlived anyone she could have called a friend, if she didn't alienate them or see to their deaths herself. Melody tried to ask her about it once.

Once.

The memory associated with that incident is just a sensation of pure, undiluted panic. Melody must have blocked out whatever happened there, and clearly never broached the subject again.

...That might be giving the wrong impression, though. The very next thing she remembers is the two of them sitting in a booth together with a pair of half-eaten sundaes in front of them. Melody has her head buried in Euphoria's side, while Euphoria is gently stroking her hair and quietly shushing her, urging her not to make a scene in public. The other two succubi are nowhere to be seen; this was a moment between the two of them and nobody else. They would go on to spend the rest of the evening writing a poem together, which Euphoria would later record and put to somber piano music. The resulting track was never released to the public; it wasn't a DEATHKISS song. It was just Euphoria trying her hardest to apologize to Melody for being so harsh with her earlier.

Melody still has that CD. It's in the top drawer of her dresser back home.

...Yeah. We, um... just each other, for the most part. I think Jaahlyn's the first time we've ever had somebody come around to us. In person, at least... I'm not sure the fans really quite... count.

Baphoreth probably recognizes this memory. It might be a bit surreal, watching it from the outside, seeing Jaahlyn perform for them from Melody's perspective, with the rest of the band working to wash a poorly-graffiti'd phallus off the tour bus. Or seeing her again at the concert, shortly after Ava's bombing; most of the world around her is faded and darkened, and she can't hear anything other than a high-pitched ringing, but there Jaahlyn is, like an angel, coming to their defense. And then again, at the hospital. Or not so long ago, at the graveyard, coming to help her again.

And then yet again, at the temple. Which is especially bizarre and dreamy, since it's a memory that was itself formed within a dream.

...Sorry. I'm, uh... that's probably super uncomfortable for you, isn't it? I'll try to think about something else.

...It's easy being with you, sacred simplicity
As long as we're together, there's no place I'd rather be~♪

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Scavenging]

"Well, you know-" Reilana flushes lightly again. Dulcinea's voice always had a way of melting any resolve she had. "I guess that might wo-" She barely gets a positive reply out before Dulcie is off. She stands there dumbly for a second, watching after her, before she gets into business mode.

She slings her purse in front of her, the larger one that she painted bone and moon designs on with white acrylics a few months back and pulls from it a folded cord drawn canvas bag. It's one she's treated to be waterproof for just this purpose. Her eyes flit back toward the window to see where Dulcie's at.

When Dulcinea enters the shop she first notices the shopkeep with his eyes out the front window. The man is heavyset and tall. he's look almost jolly, but his facial hair is quite severe. He appears to be fiddling with the register at the moment. He glances at her briefly when he comes in, but his true focus is outside.
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Scavenging]

"Why helloooo!~ Dulcie greets as the door closes behind her with a tinkling chime. She has no trouble beelining towards the counter despite her limp, a bustle of pink and paleness as she plants her hands down on the surface and leans forward with an absolutely saccharine grin. "I was just looking at the advertisements you have plastered all over your shop, and I couldn't help but notice that you seem to be selling choco-tacos! Is that true? I'd heard those were discontinued months ago!"
~Welcome to Night Vale
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Project Icarus]

As Tauron receives the news, a black bird is watching the Xar'Cha manor. The Eye of the Bird was diminished by leaving part of its power in Reina when she helped retrieve it, so to focus it on one particular place is a far greater investment. But the King in Rags seems to consider this matter important and has a feeling something is about to happen.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Scavenging]

The shopkeep's attention is drawn toward Dulcie, just as planned. His brow furrows in a hard to read expression. Concern perhaps, as he watches her come over. "They've stopped making them, but there's still some in the supply chain. They won't last forever, though, so now's the time to buy. They're in the freezer on the wall over there." He gestures in the direction.

Reilana meanwhile wastes no time. She's gotta trust Dulcie to do her part, but she intends to make it for as little time as possible. She puts her purse down at the base of the tree, loops the sac over her arm, and starts to scale the tree. She's a pretty adept climber, so it won't be too hard. The trickier part will be moving horizontally over the branch.
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Scavenging]

"Oh wow! Really? That's wonderful, do you know how many you have? One of my close friends has a little sister who was absolutely obsessed with them, I bet it would make a wonderful little Christmas gift for her to surprise her with!" Dulcie's eyes absolutely sparkle, and she turns to move towards the wall freezer - but then a dismal shadow seems to overtake the mood.

"Erm - look, I hate to ask this, but-" The half-elf hesitates. "Well, I see the boxes you have of them are on the bottom shelf, and I have a positively terrible knee. Would you mind helping me get one of them? I hate to be a bother for you, truly," she affirms, a perfect picture of self-conscious awkwardness.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Scavenging]

The shopkeep gives her a quick glance over, confirming in his mind his assessment of her earlier. "Of course. Wouldn't want ya to hurt yourself." He steps out from behind the counter and moves towards the freezer. "I think we just have a couple boxes, but I hope your friend's sister enjoys them." Once at the freezer he opens the door, stoops down, and grabs them for her. "Here you go, miss."

Reilana scoots along the branch. She might be clear from view... but she bets her legs are still visible. She better keep moving quickly. Her approach ears some reproachful squacks from the crows after the same prize, but she casually shoos them off. "Oh you wouldn't appreciate it anyway." She scolds.

She leans in toward the vent, the branch feeling a bit precarious at this point. But she can see her prize. "Aw, poor little guy, Don't worry, I've got a new home for you." It's gonna take her a minute to maneuver it out...
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Scavenging]

”Oh, thank you! You are a lifesaver, really!” Dulcie’s all smiles as she follows him over, though she spares a glance back to check on Reilana’s progress when it seems the man won’t see her doing so.

Okay, she’s making good progress - or at least, Dulcie assumed she is. Hard to glean info from a pair of dangling boots. All she has to do is strike up a conversation, keep the man distracted while Reilana climbs down! Easy peasy! ”Say, do you happen to know if this place is hiring by any chance?.”
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Scavenging]

The shopkeep straightens again and gives Dulcinea a skeptical look. "Are you looking for a job?" As if thinking of something he seems momentarily distracted as he looks towards the window. He doesn't immediately express that he's seen Reilana's dangling legs, but it couldn't take him long to spot her.

Reilana frees her prize, carefully maneuvering it through the gap in the vent and then into her bag. She sinches it tight than then start maneuvering backward. The movement of her legs now might make her even more noticeable.
~Images by Soushiyo