Inside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Re: Inside

Post by Rebonack »

[Market Street]

Khannie eyes the pot of snuff for a few seconds suspiciously.

And then says something very, very strange if one considers that she appears to be some kind of evil spirit.

"I don't think my dad would want me doing drugs. Even if they're fake drugs."

Winners don't do drugs!

And Khannie is DEFINITELY a winner.

Therefore it stands to reason that Khannie doesn't do drugs.

Even weird mind-whammy drugs.

"Also I dunno who you are. Some weird old magic lady who can do magic maze booths and offers trades? You might just be LYING to me. I've got no reason to trust you and I'm not desperate AND stupid."

She is a little desperate, though.

Just not desperate enough to do magic drugs about it.

Tags:
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

Morty wrote: Dec 14, 2022 7:17 pm [Planar Introductions]

"Those kids were pretty cute, if rowdy. I didn't know dragons had this many kids at a time." Thariza has little else to contribute right now.

[Hospital Waiting Room]

Thariza was indeed looking at Cantata with confusion. She could tell that those gestures are meant to be some kind of communication but didn't have the faintest clue what it means. When Tina helpfully translates, she snorts with amusement.

"Pfff. No, nothing like that. We're friends. I'm just here to support her."
[Planar Introductions]

"Not all dragons but some kinds certainly do. However, those dragons grow older much slower than many other species as I understand it. From an evolutionary standpoint is to increase the odds of more of them reaching adulthood as it takes such a long time for them to become independent. Those 'kobolts' certainly helped out though." Ambrosia gestures to NeOn. "You've had experience with them, then? Since I'm curious what they're like and if they would be useful for childcare. Yet at the same time I'm not sure I could really trust anyone else with my child. It's a bit of a problem honestly."

Her gaze shifts to Utayo and then back to NeOn. "Are there... monitoring devices for children? Just something that would make me able to look away without fearing they're gone when I look back. Preferably much sturdier than the standard electronic artifacts used in the nexus. They seem to have a tendency to... fail around me." Though not since she didn't understand technology.

NeOn would know that Ambrosia could make such devices short circuit by her mere presence unless they were heavily charge protected. It didn't happen often, perhaps twice during their relationship, but as it was a device she would trust with her child's life she wanted to be sure.

[Hospital Waiting Room]

By this point Ambrosia enters the waiting room again. She looks calm but Cantata can tell that she's still feeling upset. But not about the argument with Kirk, something even more recent. The nurse is not entering with her though so perhaps they've had an argument of some kind.

"...he's certain that they will be done within an hour or two. No signs of any complications so it's going to be fine." She remarks as she approaches the group. Perhaps more to calm herself down than them as even Tina can tell that she seems rather tense.
Last edited by Shadowcaller on Dec 19, 2022 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Market Street

"It is true, you have no reason to trust me. The maze effect wasn't deliberate; a passive thing I use to ensure I get customers willing to deal with me. You wouldn't be here if you were opposed to my methods." A lie, of sorts; she did deliberately ensnare Khannie the second time. "My name is Mama Gho. I try very hard to ensure my customers are happy with what they get and I give. It doesn't always happen, but it is not in my interest to short-change you, is it? I am not feeding on your misery, else I would not offer things to make you happier. I do not feed on your desperation, or I would not help you at all. I simply wish to help, and make a living as I do so. Don't think of it as a drug- think of it as a medicine. It will help you and heal a cause of pain and distress for you."
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

[Hospital Waiting Room]
► SHOW SPOILER
There's a moment in which Cantata catches on too, and her pale face warms with embarrassment as she realizes that she'd been incorrectly assuming things all this time. Why hadn't she noticed that Thariza wasn't following her signing? Her brows rise briefly when the woman explains her presence, and she nods, looking over to Fettina. "It's very kind of her to be here then. Friends like that are invaluable.""

Casting her eyes around the room, Cantata tries to find a notepad and pen for her to borrow - or at least, she starts to when Ambrosia returns, looking over to the door a second before the dragon steps through. Her brows knit and arch, and the dragon might catch the way her eyes flash with a glimmer of... something. Worry? Suspicion? Interest? The emotion is hard to place.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Market Street]

Khannie could do it.

She could take the deal.

Just suddenly KNOW how to muffle smells like she's learned how to muffle sounds and sights.

However...

That feels like cheating.

Like a short cut.

Like asking for trouble.

Even if this lady IS telling the truth what if she uses Khannie's knowledge of shadow illusions to do something really bad? Then that would be HER fault, sort of. This situation is rubbing her the wrong way. It feels off. Wrong.

Rotten.

The ghostly fox bears her teeth slightly.

"No deal."
FireFox
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/She

Post by FireFox »

Beans wrote: Dec 13, 2022 1:07 pm Carrie squeezes her hand, her face lighting up even more. "Y---yes, of course! Oh my gods, yes---uh, hold on---" As she wraps a shaggy wing around Agatha, she pushes her glasses up and wipes her eyes with her free hand, then fumbles her phone out. After a few seconds, she shows a picture to the Inquisitrix; tall, slash-mouthed Queenie looms demurely behind hands-in-pockets casual Marel.
"This is Queenie, and this is Marel... Queenie's not far from 7 feet and still growing, but she's as shy and gentle as a baby deer. Marel's pretty chilled-out and doesn't take any crap---she takes good care of her sister. They're good kids." Her voice overflows with maternal warmth and pride.
Agatha leans into Carrie and stares at the screen for a minute. Then she has to wipe at her eyes too. "They look like good kids. And you sound like a good mom. My little crow, all grown."

It takes her a few introspective breaths before she figures out why it hurts so much. Just as frozen fingers brought in from the cold start to prick when the blood begins to flow through them again, Carrie heats up her frostbitten heart too fast. Years apart, brought suddenly together. But the gap between them is still vast and growing every time she looks at the woman by her side and sees her changes. It hurts. She can't bear to spend another heartbeat standing still. The walk ahead to the Riftline station seems unacceptably long. Fortunately, she's been to Carrie's place before. She fixes it in her mind's eye.

"I can't wait. Hold on." She wraps her arms around her and, with a loud sound of linen being torn in one long strip, they're no longer standing Inside.
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Market Place

"It is your right to refuse the deal. Go, I will not stop you. I am not the one with the problem that needs fixing. If you reconsider, come and find me. You will find me by looking for Mama Gho. This is not a limited time offer, I shall always be willing to help you." Mama Gho does benefit from the deals made, though they wouldn't probably use the tactile illusions themself- more likely, it'd be another skill to offer away, to gain more knowledge wisdom.

Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Market Place]

Khannie eyes the weird old lady as she weaves her disguise back around herself, shadows peeling off the surroundings and layering around her until the fox-spirit is once against obscured under the form of a normal human girl.

"I'm not doing any dumb deals or taking any shortcuts," she insists aloud, more for herself than for Mama Gho.

No magical contracts.

No wishes.

Nothing stupid.

She's going to find a nice mundane solution to her problem and that's that.

Defiant as ever, Khannie turns and stomps away again.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Market Street

"Come back in fifteen years, it won't be a shortcut then. It will simply be a decade and a half of frustration and disappointment as you still cannot hide your nature, driving everyone away as nobody wants to wake up next to you. I shall be waiting." Mama Gho smiles and waves as Khannie leaves, and this time Khannie really can leave.

Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

Shadowcaller wrote: Dec 15, 2022 1:53 pm [Planar Introductions]

"Not all dragons but some kinds certainly do. However, those dragons grow older much slower than many other species as I understand it. From an evolutionary standpoint is to increase the odds of more of them reaching adulthood as it takes such a long time for them to become independent. Those 'kobolts' certainly helped out though." Ambrosia gestures to NeOn. "You've had experience with them, then? Since I'm curious what they're like and if they would be useful for childcare. Yet at the same time I'm not sure I could really trust anyone else with my child. It's a bit of a problem honestly."

Her gaze shifts to Utayo and then back to NeOn. "Are there... monitoring devices for children? Just something that would make me able to look away without fearing they're gone when I look back. Preferably much sturdier than the standard electronic artifacts used in the nexus. They seem to have a tendency to... fail around me." Though not since she didn't understand technology.

NeOn would know that Ambrosia could make such devices short circuit by her mere presence unless they were heavily charge protected. It didn't happen often, perhaps twice during their relationship, but as it was a device she would trust with her child's life she wanted to be sure.
[Planar Introductions]

"Such a device is absolutely possible. The baseline technology is ancient. It'd be a matter of proper insulation. Admittedly that can have it's limits, but I'd guess it's within the realms of possible." Utayo pauses thoughtfully got a moment. "I should say that's in terms of my home, but my impression is that I'd expect similar to be achievable here."
~Images by Soushiyo
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

[Riftline: An Angel and Me]

It's rather unfortunate. As angelic as angels are, they can never measure up to how cool dragons are.

When it comes to stumbling, this lady is a pro. Big stumble without crashing down or injuring herself! That's the sort of stumbling you can only get after years of practice.

She stands upright and regains her stability. "It's alright, I'm fine with not talking with the cops, too," she says. She gestures with her black-stained claws. Since it's about evening and the sun's going down, they're going to leave tons of spooky handprints...."Besides, I think maybe they might arrest me, thinking I caused some of the problem?" Admittedly, she sort-of did, but Marianne got rid of that ink monster pretty quickly before it could cause serious problems. "And I've got more important things to do than get stuck in jail."

She frowns, still staring at her hands.
Then, she abruptly laughs. "Ha ha: I'm an idiot," she declares. She focuses, and then all of a sudden there's a ball of sunlight in her hands. It even gives off the warmth of the sunlight, too. "Remember how it was dark and we had to depend on you for light? I could've handled that and let you worry about one fewer thing."
With this ball of sunlight so close to them, the nightmare blackness and claws on them seem to evaporate, leaving behind just...normal, regular, plain hands. Everywhere she touched that she left behind her handprints also starts evaporating.
She finds that fact much funnier than it ought to be.

Speaking of funny, she still needs to find GLoG. And has basically no idea how to get there from here, except by taking yet another train going the other direction.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Riftline: an Angel and Me]

"...Um... yeah. We should go." Marianne concludes, noting the woman's still-disturbingly-giddy state. She's not sure if it's her prolonged touch or the sunlight that's doing that, or maybe adrenaline, but they should probably avoid all of the above.

Fortunately, despite the trouble with the other train, there will be one available traveling in the opposite direction. Apparently, it's being re-routed somehow to avoid the tunnel and anything else that might be dangerous to the passengers, but it still stops at GLoG, as they intended. All they're really going to lose is a couple of hours.

Which Marianne suddenly remembers might be a big deal.

"So, um..." She begins, leading the woman to her seat. "That time limit isn't going to be a problem is it, Miss..."

Miss...

Oh dear god.

Has... has she really gone that long without ever learning this lady's name?!

That's... beyond embarrassing. She could be forward as a succubus, granted, but she's never reached the point of kissing someone before even finding out what to call them.

"...I want to say... Lily?" She says hesitantly. That's probably not right at all, but if she at least makes an effort she can chalk up the confusion to all the nonsense they just got through.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Planar Introductions

"Well, properly speaking it sounds like it wouldn't be around you nearly as often as not." Ne0n suggests. "But well. I do have something to start with. If you uh. Don't mind a gift." A gift that the dragon very suspiciously has ready to go apparently?
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Hospital Waiting Room]

Fettina doesn't offer any further comment on the tense look Ambrosia's got going. She doesn't want to upset the dragon all over again. And after all, who wouldn't be tense? She's feeling a bit of that herself. More than a bit.

All Tina can do is nod in agreement to Thariza and Cantie. Friends were good. Some of the tension eases right out of Tina as she hears the dragon explain the latest update.

"That's wonderful," Tina says, exhaling her unease. She shakes her head. "I want to see her, but I'm afraid in this state she'd take my head right off."
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

The woman goes with Marianne to wait for the train heading back.

Marianne brings up a very good question. The woman has to think about it a bit: she starts stroking her chin, and then crushes the ball of light in her other hand (and it disappears). "Hmmmm......"

She frowns.
"As long as there's no more delays, the time should be fine." But if there's delays, then that might be a problem.

With the light gone, her fingernails start slowly turning black again and growing sharper.
"Probably no problem." Wait, she thinks, 'probably no problem' sounds kinda funny. Like, alliteration.
She stops stroking her chin, and turns to look at Marianne. "It's not Lily, though. You can be Lily if you want, I don't mind," she says. "Lily, lily, yeah you look like you could be a Lily."

She taps on her thigh.
Then shakes her head.
"But, no, Lily's not one of mine. I could be....Florete? Or Mairi. Jolene, or June, or...hmmm...Nina. Yeah, any of those would work." She's sure she could've worded that better but figures it makes enough sense at the moment so there's no real point.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

"...If you can't pick, then I think we'll just go with June." Marianne says after a moment, arms crossed. She hasn't got any idea what the woman meant by any of that, but-

Wait. Did she say "Jolene"?

"Wasn't that one of the fairies you were asking about at Trog's?" Marianne asks. "Jolene, I mean. I'm pretty sure, right? Is that what's going on here? You two are... connected, somehow?" She taps her fingers together emphatically. "...Actually, since we're waiting on a train anyway... if you don't mind my asking, what exactly is your whole deal, anyway? I feel like we ought to be able to talk about that now. We're not exactly strangers anymore."

Getting through a life-or-death situation together does tend to have that effect.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Planar Introductions]

"I think they have some gear like that near the Brand... but I've never been there. So I'll leave it to others' expertise," Thariza comments.

[Hospital Waiting Room]

"I owe Ambrosia a lot. Least I can do is be here." When Ambrosia returns, Thariza's tail swishes with relief. She wasn't really sure what to expect. How do other species' births work? "Okay, that's good, then."
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Planar Introductions]

"That sounds promising. You'd have to tell me more about it. I find technology like that fascinating as in theory I could manipulate them to a degree." It was more than a theory really as she had been able to manipulate simpler devices by touch. Though as the most she could do was turning them on and off she didn't consider it worth mentioning. But perhaps with greater knowledge of how they worked she could do a lot more.

This would have been the initiation to a longer discussion about technology when Ambrosia's attention is suddenly drawn away by NeOn. "Oh?" She blinks. "You mean... here? Or back at your workshop?"

[Hospital Waiting Room]

"I don't think we can see her just yet but it won't be long now." Ambrosia couldn't hide the eagerness in her tone. Though it was of course less about Dena and more about the child. Her child.
She pauses and looks between Cantata and Tina. "So... do you mind if I ask a bit more about you? Since it seems like that was what caused the argument earlier. I suspect I might have committed some manner of faux pas earlier without realizing it."
She gestures to herself. "And you can ask about me too of course. Perhaps I came off as overly inquisitive earlier."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

[Hospital Waiting Room]

Cantata can't help another of those silent laughs she makes upon hearing Fettina, and she nods in agreement. "You do tend to get on her nerves, and I doubt she's in a good mood." The smile she gives as she signs this suggests that she means it affectionately rather than as some manner of ribbing.

As to Ambrosia's question, Cantata grins and offers a thumbs-up. "Of course," she offers, "You didn't do anything wrong! Kirk can just be... prickly."" After a moment, she glances back towards Thariza and adds, "Although I should probably ask, do you have a pen or paper I could borrow? I didn't think to bring them, and I don't want to exclude your companion here."
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

► SHOW SPOILER
[Planar Introductions]

"I wouldn't mind looking into it for you. You've been helpful to me after all." Utayo expresses.

She doesn't pursue this further right now, instead letting NeOn and Ambrosia have their exchange.
~Images by Soushiyo
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

June blinks, as she tries processing both what she and Marianne just said.

Eventually,
"Oh! um..."
She tries coming up with an excuse.
"That's. Well. You see....Um. It's just, there's a really simple explanation for it."
June takes a deep breath.
"It's a coincidence."

She glances at Marianne to see how believable that was. Total coincidence. And holds her breath, hoping she believes it.

Guilt gnaws at her as she holds her breath. Yeah, they aren't exactly strangers, and she did ask.

June exhales. "Okay. Um, I'll tell you, but you've got to keep it a secret." She raises and lowers her eyebrows, trying to signal to Marianne that she has to promise to not tell anybody, ever. "You see, we're playing a game," she says, as if that explains everything.

In case it doesn't, though, she adds, "If I win, she has to apologize and tell everyone how amazing I am. And if she wins, I have to eat her."
There.
She's confident that, by now, she's successfully answered every one of Marianne's questions.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Marianne frowns at that. The "it's a coincidence" explanation seems like the more believable of the two.

"Are... are you serious?" The angel asks, arms crossed. "I mean, I get your prize being that she has to tell people you're great, but why on earth would she want you to eat her? You know how crazy that sounds, right?"

Of course she doesn't. She looks way too satisfied with her answer to consider it bizarre.

"And... 'apologize'? Apologize for what, exactly?" The angel continues, latching on to that detail. Clearly there's some history here she doesn't know but definitely needs to in order to make sense of things.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

It's not crazy at all! "Have you seen how many mouths I have?" June says as way of explanation for why it's not crazy at all. There's three on her face, if you call those endless, empty voids with teeth instead of eyelashes as mouths, so, "Four...no, wait, five. Five!" she claims.

Surprisingly, all the questions the angel asked are related. Why does the fairy want to be eaten? Apologize for what?
June gesticulates. "She's a lazy sack-of-spores who'd rather get eaten than do her job."
June pouts and looks at Marianne. "That's so selfish of her, right?"
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Five?!

"...Evidently, I have not." Marianne mutters, a note of skepticism in her voice. Apparently this girl has two more mouths she didn't see, and the angel is in no hurry to find out where.

"...But... that's not just lazy, that's an actual death wish!" Marianne croaks. "What job could she have that is so horrible she'd rather be devoured than do it?!"

Considering she labored under demons and devils for fifty years under the very same terms of employment, Marianne's having a hard time picturing it. What could be worse than a long, slow slide into total moral depravity? What fresh hell is she about to become aware of?

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Planar Introductions

Ne0n looks distinctly embarrassed as the door opens with a little bell and in walks a short green kobold in a silver robe. She's carrying a box which she deposits straight onto their table and winks at them before bowing and taking her leave.
"Um. Here." mutters the dragon.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

The woman June leans over to look for what time the train will arrive. Hopefully, it arrives soon and wasn't delayed.

"She has to hang out with me," she says. Very horrible, right? "She was okay with it when everyone else was there, too, but after everyone else got their own job she told me I had to lose weight and said she wouldn't work again unless I was 'as skinny as' she was!"

Very rude!
She pouts again.

And pinches her stomach. She's pretty skinny. "I mean, I get it, but it's not like it's something that can change overnight."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

"...Oh. Oh, sweetheart..."

Marianne pulls June in for a hug, doing her best to obscure the absolutely furious look on her face by putting it behind June's. What a horrible thing to say to someone! "I'd rather be eaten than be around you," plus "You're fat and you're not worth being around" (in spite of the fact that June couldn't possibly be as small around the waist as a pixie is; there's unrealistic beauty standards, and then there's anatomically impossible), plus the fact that she was apparently insistent enough to get June to agree to such a thing...

Part of her hopes Jolene gets eaten. Bitch deserves it.

"...It sounds to me like you could use some new friends." Marianne says after a moment, pulling back away from June and patting herself down. "Let me see, where did I- ooh, there it is." She produces a business card and stops by the ticket counter for a pen, scribbling something down on it. "Here. When we're done tracking down Jolene, maybe consider stopping over some time, okay?"
Her card wrote:
DEATHKISS
Erotic metal as you've never heard before
(All audiences must be 18 or older)

Call Mania at 1-800-669-5477 or email at nymphomania2@magmail.com for booking

[Scribbled below that is an address, in a town called Butterfly Bay, in Seaside.]

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Felandria
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by Felandria »

Ironsmith wrote: Nov 17, 2022 7:01 pm
[Down the Drain]

nyaaaaaaaaank~

Comes the sound from further up the tunnel. Or is it somewhere in the tunnel behind her? The acoustics down here are a bit... weird. Something about traveling lengthwise down a cylinder makes it difficult to pinpoint where sounds are coming from.

rktktktktk

Like that. That weird clicky, scratchy noise seems almost impossible to pinpoint. Is it ahead of her or behind her? How far away is it? Difficult to tell.

crunch

Okay, that one is easy to locate. If nothing else, the unexpected give of something underneath Fel's feet being smashed should clue her in as to the sound's origin. In this case, what appears to be the desiccated upper half of some poor soul's body. The lower half is nowhere to be seen; given the corpse's positioning, it probably broke away and was washed downstream by the drainage in the tunnel. What's left is a scratched-up ribcage in the tattered remains of a grey set of overalls, with cracked bones in the tattered remains of the sleeves, and little splinters of skull scattered around Fel's foot.
Fel shudders upon seeing the bones.

She looks around nervously.

Skitty?

Please?

I don’t want anything to get you, please follow my voice.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Down the Drain]

Fel's call will be answered by a smalln furry creature (presumably the missing Skitty) darting between her legs and running the other way down the tunnel.

It won't take long to see what the small animal is running from, which would be another, larger animal. It's too dark to make out the features, but it appears to be either a large rat with bony, cancerous tumors growing out of it, or perhaps a mangled roach with inexplicable fur growing out of the gaps between its chitin plates. The creature advances on Fel slowly, chittering at her as its claws scrape against the tunnel's concrete flooring.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Hospital Waiting Room]

"Well, I guess not," Fettina says to Ambrosia, although her tone is uncertain. She doesn't really understand why Ambrosia would care to know more about them. She glances at Cantie. "I can get you something to write with, babe. Or I can just keep translating for you."