Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

For free floating plots that wish to be separated from specific locales.
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

Post by Shadowcaller »

[A Temple Sunken in Time]

Ambrosia nods but there's something that Dorota just said that seems to bother her. "This might sound like a stupid question but what exactly are we doing here? Since I'm not sure you've been completely clear on that part. I know what we're here to find out but how are we going to go about that? Since it doesn't sound like there's going to be an excavation of the site." That would probably take more than a day or two.
FireFox
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/She

Post by FireFox »

Callie falls out of a tree. Not like she was up in the branches, no, she appears to emerge directly out of the trunk going sideways at speed. She's at least graceful enough to turn it into a roll and bounces up onto her feet, like she meant to do that. There probably aren't any trees near where the helicopter landed--for the obvious reason--so it's possible neither Dorota nor Ambrosia noticed. Possible yet less funny. The foxgirl quickly dusts herself off and jogs over to join the other HALO members.

She's wearing a tight blue tank top and khaki shorts with dark green socks and brown hiking boots, showing off a distracting amount of lightly tanned skin. She's carrying a backpack on, well, her back as well as a handgun in a drop leg holster on her right thigh. She also has on a pair of earrings, a bracelet, and a ring on her right hand, all set with identical green crystals. No body armor, however, so hopefully she doesn't get shot at.

"Hey! Sorry for keeping you waiting."
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Morty
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

"We're going to-" Dorota is interrupted by Callie arriving. Fortunately for the foxgirl, Dorota isn't a very attentive person at the best of times so her sideways exeunt from a tree went unnoticed. Her outfit does raise an eyebrow, though. This doesn't seem like an appropriate attire... "Just in time. As I was saying, we'll go inside and catalogue everything we find. Then we'll decide if an excavation is likely to unearth anything of value. But at first I want to do a thorough search. I have some alchemical reagents with me that might point us in the right direction."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

FireFox wrote: Dec 19, 2022 10:50 am [A Temple Sunken in Time]

Callie falls out of a tree. Not like she was up in the branches, no, she appears to emerge directly out of the trunk going sideways at speed. She's at least graceful enough to turn it into a roll and bounces up onto her feet, like she meant to do that. There probably aren't any trees near where the helicopter landed--for the obvious reason--so it's possible neither Dorota nor Ambrosia noticed. Possible yet less funny. The foxgirl quickly dusts herself off and jogs over to join the other HALO members.

She's wearing a tight blue tank top and khaki shorts with dark green socks and brown hiking boots, showing off a distracting amount of lightly tanned skin. She's carrying a backpack on, well, her back as well as a handgun in a drop leg holster on her right thigh. She also has on a pair of earrings, a bracelet, and a ring on her right hand, all set with identical green crystals. No body armor, however, so hopefully she doesn't get shot at.

"Hey! Sorry for keeping you waiting."
Morty wrote: Dec 19, 2022 12:14 pm [A Temple Sunken in Time]

"We're going to-" Dorota is interrupted by Callie arriving. Fortunately for the foxgirl, Dorota isn't a very attentive person at the best of times so her sideways exeunt from a tree went unnoticed. Her outfit does raise an eyebrow, though. This doesn't seem like an appropriate attire... "Just in time. As I was saying, we'll go inside and catalogue everything we find. Then we'll decide if an excavation is likely to unearth anything of value. But at first I want to do a thorough search. I have some alchemical reagents with me that might point us in the right direction."

Ambrosia looks up by the time she can hear something moving around in the trees above them. But even if she had been paying more attention than Dorota it doesn’t make her any less confused.

How had she gotten up there and why? She couldn’t have climbed up there. Without pants her legs would have looked much rougher. She knew from experience after being forced to do just that by her mentor.

Could she fly? Or was there some hidden device on her person that had helped her out?
Perhaps she was just very good at jumping.

She raises her hand into a greeting while giving her a confused look. But she’s going to let Dorota do the talking for now. As she was so quick to get back to her introduction she assumed Callie falling out of a tree wasn’t too alarming.

“Okay, should be simple enough for us I hope.” She addresses Dorota once she finished explaining. “Is there anything particular we should keep an eye out for while we’re looking around?” Though as soon as she asks the question Callie’s presence reminds her of something. “-and do we have a way to detect potential deadly traps?” It felt like a silly question but Callie must have had a reason to be worried.
Last edited by Shadowcaller on Dec 19, 2022 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

[Feline Family Friction]

"I look forward to it," Blanche retorts rather simply, beginning to walk away from the room and returning to the main lobby. She moves through the main hallway and ascends a central stairwell, eyes alert even as she takes the time to reload her pistol and ready her rifle.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
FireFox

Post by FireFox »

"Thorough search, simple enough." Callie nods at Dorota before nodding at Ambrosia. Too much nervous energy to stand still and look all stoic and badass. "Deadly traps, yeah, so, we're either afraid of mechanical devices simple and/or robust enough to remain intact after all this time or magical traps. The former should be easy enough to spot with the naked eye. Watch out for doors, narrow corridors, blind corners, erotic artwork... Common triggers are pressure plates, trip wires, and, like, any puzzles that require our physical input. Turning things or pulling levers or whatever. If we get it wrong, that's a guaranteed trap trigger. Magic stuff is harder to detect, of course. Unless you two have ways to see magic? Warding runes and offensive sigils are probably the easiest to see and avoid, but any conditional spells cast onto the temple will definitely kill us without warning. Stuff like 'zap anyone walking down this hall without our priesty robes or specific symbol.'"
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Morty

Post by Morty »

"I have some substances that should reveal the presence of sorcery." Dorota seems slightly confused and dismayed by the wide variety of deathtraps painted by Callie. "What I've been able to find about this deity is an association with boundaries and in-between spaces. This was supposedly symbolised by an archway of trees. So if we find such a symbol, we need to examine it."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Ambrosia gives Callie a concerned look as she goes into detail on all traps she seems to know about and looks to Dorota to see if she knew about any of this. Since this didn't sound like what she had signed up for at all.
"These deathtraps... sound rather specific. Considering how diverse the nexus is I think we would have to use some of that substance of Dorota's to see just what we're dealing with. I've been to plenty of temples myself, even a few abandoned ones, and none of them have been trapped." She gestures to Callie. "But as you seem to have the most expertise in this area why don't you take some of that substance and scout ahead a bit? If you spot any of those traps, or the symbol Dorota mentioned, stop and come back to us."
FireFox

Post by FireFox »

The arctic foxgirl's white tail swishes. She's starting to realize the other women haven't done a good old fashioned dungeon run before. It's kind of cute how they've never thought about all the different ways a bunch of long dead assholes can try to kill honest tomb raiders. "Liminal spaces, arbor door symbol, got it. You two share the substance, I'll go see what I can see."

She tightens her backpack's shoulder straps and moves up to--but not inside--the temple's front entrance. She scans the doorway with a quick sorcery to detect any traces of magic and simultaneously extends her druidic senses into the stones of the building, looking for things hidden in the floor or walls or ceiling.
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Morty

Post by Morty »

Dorota hands Callie three transparent cylinders with a yellow powder.

"This powder will glow in the presence of sorcery. You can keep it in the cylinders or take some out and spread it if you need to."

Once Callie is off, she will turn to Ambrosia.

"I don't think there will be any deathtraps inside. But if she's on lookout for them, she might also find something that really is there."

Meanwhile, Callie won't find anything hidden in the stone of the temple. Everything is eerily silent. Too silent - there should be some animal life within, but there doesn't seem to be any. While there's no trace of magic as such, there's an odd sense of transience and lack of definition to the place. One that goes beyond a mundane impression of a liminal space.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

"Neither do I, I wouldn't have suggested her to go in if I did." The scholar admits. "They would have made it more trouble than its worth exploring the place frankly. It also seem rather impractical as the most likely people to trigger the traps are the people that made them. Imagine walking around in a place where you know you could instantly die if you ever forgot to put your robe on or properly display your insignia. People may do many strange things for religious reasons but I can't possibly imagine such traps being worth the risk."
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

Arkhosia wrote: Dec 19, 2022 2:56 pm [Feline Family Friction]

"I look forward to it," Blanche retorts rather simply, beginning to walk away from the room and returning to the main lobby. She moves through the main hallway and ascends a central stairwell, eyes alert even as she takes the time to reload her pistol and ready her rifle.
[Feline Family Friction]

Blanche would find it a surprisingly easy task to advance, at least initially. Although she couldn't know for sure, no other squads seemed to be lurking down a corridor ready to jump her. Of course, she still had to be cautious, and for all her taunting the drow on the radio had given no indication of where they were in the building. So this could still take a while. That being said, she could probably logic out that if they were hunting for data, they'd either be in an important office or the server room. Whether she could figure out where to find those quickly or not was up to her.

Eventually, several floors up, she'd find herself at the server room. The light creeping under the door in the otherwise switched-off building and the hum of computers gave it away. Also, you know, the sign on the door. It was helpfully labelled.

When Blanche opens the door, there would be a click.

A moment later, something detonated with blinding light, sending the door splintering outwards with potentially lethal force. At the same time, there came a strange whirring noise, and two sawblades came zipping through the smoke, attached by a cord. Rather fortunately for the catgirl, the cord would be its own undoing, as the rapidly spinning blades hit it, slicing through and sending each other reeling to the side. One embedded itself in the doorframe while the other smashed into the wall to the left of her.

Waiting for her beyond the door was a drow woman, clad in skintight clothing with a tattered-looking black cloak shrouding her features. She was holding a strange crossbow-like contraption in her hands. "Aww. I really thought it'd work this time." Zarra sighed, her usually cold tone replaced by one of genuine disappointment.
Bismark wrote:Silence, birb-wench.
FireFox

Post by FireFox »

Morty wrote: Dec 22, 2022 3:41 pm [A Temple Sunken in Time]

Dorota hands Callie three transparent cylinders with a yellow powder.

"This powder will glow in the presence of sorcery. You can keep it in the cylinders or take some out and spread it if you need to."

Once Callie is off, she will turn to Ambrosia.

"I don't think there will be any deathtraps inside. But if she's on lookout for them, she might also find something that really is there."

Meanwhile, Callie won't find anything hidden in the stone of the temple. Everything is eerily silent. Too silent - there should be some animal life within, but there doesn't seem to be any. While there's no trace of magic as such, there's an odd sense of transience and lack of definition to the place. One that goes beyond a mundane impression of a liminal space.

After Callie's magics don't sense anything dangerous, she reluctantly holds one of the transparent cylinders over the threshold to see if it starts to glow. Assuming there's nothing immediately in the doorway she slips inside, hugging one of the walls and sneaking forward until her enhanced senses detect anything different. She also looks over her shoulder once, to make sure the opening is still there. It'd probably be a bad thing if her escape route disappeared and she had to make a new hole in the building and/or reality to flee.
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Morty

Post by Morty »

The glowing dust will detect no sorcery nearby. But that's not to say nothing out of the ordinary appears. On a mundane level, Callie will see a corridor, that used to be furnished with smooth stones. Now the stones are cracked, eroded by water and grown over by roots and leaves.

At least... that's what it looks like at first glance. sometimes, when viewed at particular angles, there are glimpses of what this temple used to be, perhaps. Smooth stones, paintings and mosaics on the walls, sounds of soft voices.

To her left, Callie will see the gulch. It appears that the stream used to cross the temple. There's a ruined bridge across it - but sometimes it seems whole. And when it does, an archway of trees appears before it. Was it ever really there, or is it a trick of the light? The bridge is split in half, with a gap in the middle. It would be possible to jump across, but also risky.
FireFox

Post by FireFox »

Callie does not like that shifting view, no sir, not one bit. Not being able to trust her own senses is alarming on the professional level and upsetting on more personal ones. Sticking clear of the bridge for now, she picks up a loose stone off the ground and carefully lobs it over the gulch. Unless it's more like a vast river than a simple stream, she could possibly use magic to leap over it. But first she wants to see what happens to the rock.
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

► SHOW SPOILER
[Feline Family Friction]

Blanche's ears flicker and she hurls herself to the side as the door tears into a cavalcade of wooden shards, back flat against the wall and wincing at a cut through her cheek. She grits her teeth, readies a flashbang - and flinches when a sawblade whirls into the wall above her.

Then she pulls the pin and hurls it straight at Zarra's feet. The whole entryway explodes into a scream of blinding white and she whirls around and pulls the trigger, three rounds flying straight for Zarra's head and chest. "You talk too much."
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Morty

Post by Morty »

The stone flies over the gulch and lands on the other side. However, Callie's observant eye might notice a slight lurch in its trajectory. It slowed, briefly, as it passed halfway through the distance, in defiance of ordinary physics. The gulch is certainly not very wide or deep - if needed, Callie could plausibly climb down and back up easily enough. When the rock lands, she will hear another sound. A rustle of footsteps and long clothing from the other side of the gulch. But no one is visible.
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

[Feline Family Friction]

The brilliant sunburst of the flashbang is met with a lot of swearing in Undercommon. Drow and bright light do not often mix well, after all. Zarra half-flipped, half-leapt to the side, her graceful twist somewhat ruined by the awkwardness of landing while shielding ones eyes. She paused for a moment to catch her breath, three brand new holes smoking in her cloak. Not bad. "Don't say that darling, we only just met!"

There was a flurry of quick and confusing movement. Confusing, because cloaks didn't normally burst into a cloud of bats. Bats which, annoyingly, swarmed between the two of them, briefly obscuring any clear line of sight.

And then Zarra pounced. The myriad of bats parted just in time for a thick dart to come whipping at a sideways arc towards Blanche, a purple flag embroidered with the pattern of a spider's web trailing behind it with a thin cord. Whether it found it's mark or not, it would be quickly tugged back with a flick of the drow's wrist. Her whole body twisted, the rope coiling around her arm and shoulder, all in service of gaining momentum. Her arm rolled back and under, pulling the dart with it and driving it's point straight at the catgirl's heart.

Cowering behind a stack of servers, Elizabeth watched the fight unfold. Her mouth was dry, and she was sweating profusely. But she didn't have time to watch. Heart hammering in her chest, she tore her gaze away. Fuck, fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. She was almost there. She almost had the data. But she had to cover their tracks too, or she was toast. There was no backing out of this. If VIGIL caught her, she was fucked. She was a hacker participating in a lethal plot, a terrorist. No way she wasn't locked away for life. But if she upset her rather poor choice of companions, she was more than fucked. Royally fucked. Boned in the highest degree. With gritted teeth, she resolved to doing her damn best neither of those options would come to pass.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Feline Family Friction]

Blanche trains her sights on Zarra and steps forward into the room, ready to fire again when - wait, bats? She raises a hand to shield her face and weaves to the side, expecting a strike under their cover, squinting at the choking flutter of membranous wings for any sign of the woman.

Then her ears twitch and her gaze snaps to the glinting spearhead arcing through the air. She ducks down low and drops her left hand to her pistol, eyes following the course of the rope, tracing it back to its source, calculating just where she is. Right hand still on the forestock of her rifle, she pivots it to intercept the dart's driving plunge, steel ricocheting off with a pa-chink!

Then she drops the gun in one smooth and complex shuffle, one hand shooting out to grab for the rope and pull it back while the other frees her sidearm from its holster and snaps up towards the origin. She fires two blind shots and rushes forward, hoping to blitz the woman in a state of unbalance and push too close into her range of engagement.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

[Feline Family Friction]

Of course it had to be someone from VIGIL, didn't it. Couldn't just be some random cop off the street. That would have been a lot easier to deal with. Zarra found herself becoming equally impressed and annoyed as her attacks were deflected, forcing her to change tactics. She hadn't expected this from a riflewoman.

Blanche's tug pulls her off balance for a moment, but instead of trying to correct her balance, she folds over into a forwards roll. This has the nice benefit of entirely accidentally ensuring the shots fly over her head mid-roll, but now she's even more out of position. A couple of unfortunate bats take the bullet instead, sending the whole swarm dispersing, clearing the air. Zarra rises to her feet, arm moving to tug her weapon back to her. If she succeeds, she'll sling the cord in a backwards arc to coil around her shoulder, sending the dart in a repeated vertical arc in front of her in an attempt to force Blanche back and regain some footing. If not, she'll change tactics- charging forwards to meet Blanche, a click revealing a hidden blade up her sleeve and another in the sole of her boot.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Sunday Afternoon

The streets are quiet today. There's not much going on, and it's cold besides. A young woman hurries down the street, looking around. She has dark brown hair tied up with a red tie under a red hat and a thick coat.
She's...not really sure what she's here for to be honest. Sort of just trying to kill a lazy Sunday afternoon. Maybe find a cafe. She's the kind of person to look for an iced coffee even in the winter, so anything goes...
Terumitsu
Fresh Baby Poster

Post by Terumitsu »

Sunday Afternoon

The young woman may find her peaceful afternoon interrupted with the shouting of two voices, one of which sounded like it was changing accents every few words:
"No! No no no no no! I refuse to allow my Creation to be sullied by your plebian tongue!"
"Look, lady.. I just wanted ice crea-"
"And must I remind you that this is not Iced Cream but a Sorbet. Entirely. Different. Process!"
"Right but I have money. Right here. And just because-"
"This has nothing to do with payment and everything to do about Aaarrrrrrt!"

The source of this would be coming from more of a stall than a shop although a well appointed one at least. A somewhat more wolf-than-man wolfman was looking to be nonplussed, wallet in hand as he argued with a.. Well, to put a point to it, when this being was described as being of the 'hourglass persuasion' this was less calling them curvaceous and more that they looked like two icicles that met in the middle to form, well, an hourglass. In fact, this frosty being not only had dark, frosted glasses that made it impossible to see their eyes, they were positively bundled up in the most sheik of styles yet somehow also managing to be ostentatiously understated. With an icy limb they reached out and pointed to the lady who just so happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time and said "You! There! Clearly you should have more function to your faculties than this.. This..." they didn't finish the statement. The wolfman just shrugged at this development. This was already too far out of hand.

The source of all of this seemed to be a dish of some kind of frozen treat that was split down the middle in two shades of rose pink. This was probably going to be rather silly in one way or another.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Sunday Afternoon

The girl looks around but it seems that no, no one else could be the one the strange being is pointing to.
She hesitantly steps up and looks down at the frozen dessert.
"Um. So, you make sorbet? That's cool. So what's the fuss about exactly?" she asks. She isn't sure what to think about this...lady? The wolfen said "lady" and they didn't correct him about that so maybe?
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

► SHOW SPOILER
[Feline Family Friction]

Zarra yanks the dart back, and nearly succeeds until Blanche realizes what's happening. The rope goes taut in contest as she skids to a halt under the dispersing swarm, fighting for control. The gun snaps back round to find its target - then jolts off-kilter with a BLAM as the rope's tension breaks, sending Blanche into a backward stumble just as she pulls the trigger.

The woman barely finds time to curse before Zarra rushes upon her. Those cerise eyes widen in alarm for the first time and she stumbles back again, dropping the dart to reach for something at her hip. She turns sideways, pulls the pistol hand back and swings her arm like a lever, hoping to strike Zarra's wrist off-target or at least intercept it at the elbow from plunging the blade home.

Whatever happens, the drow won't have much time to either fight the hidden blade closer or tear it free from Blanche's body before she retorts with a swift sucker-punch to the gut, right fist clenched tight round a fat black cylinder. "Get the fuck back," she growls, pistoning forward another punch and then attempting to surge forward and shove Zarra away from her.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

[Feline Family Friction]

Blanche's gambit very nearly almost worked. It was, all things considered, a solid attempt. More than most could manage. But it wasn't quite enough. Her arm struck Zarra's, and the blade that would have found the soldier's chest instead raked across her arm. And then her fist found the drow's stomach, and that worked beautifully. Zarra gasped as the air was violently driven from her body, stumbling back before taking the second punch to the hip.

This time, Zarra doesn't move to meet Blanche. She instead sidesteps as Blanche lunges for her, trying to use her momentum against her to buy herself some time to recover. Her foot finds her dart, kicking it sideways so the rope wraps around her ankle, and with a pirouette she swings it at the catgirl's ankles. "That's more like it!" She gasps, with heavy breath. "You were so boring before!"
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Feline Family Friction]

Steel tears a neat slice through Blanche's jacket sleeve and carves into the ceramic plating below with an ugly scrape, the pressure enough to make her grimace even as the blade fails to reach her skin. Goddamn this woman was fast! She pivots and plants her feet down to arrest her push forward as Zarra's own gambit works perfectly.

Thumb finding a catch on the hilt in her hand, she spins, trying to catch her with a sudden swing to the head as her baton arcs in the air - but her opponent is faster and Blanche goes down hard, shoulder hitting the tiles with an "Ngh!" - and lashes out with a hard kick to the shins, trying to topple Zarra right after her!

If it fails, she'll roll to the side and try to spring to her feet, raising an arm to cover her face if the dart makes another arc - but if the move works, Zarra might find Blanche swiftly on top of her, dropping the baton to swing a vicious punch to the side of the skull. "Sorry to disappoint," she spits out.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Terumitsu
Fresh Baby Poster

Post by Terumitsu »

Keeper wrote: Jan 31, 2023 4:17 am Sunday Afternoon

The girl looks around but it seems that no, no one else could be the one the strange being is pointing to.
She hesitantly steps up and looks down at the frozen dessert.
"Um. So, you make sorbet? That's cool. So what's the fuss about exactly?" she asks. She isn't sure what to think about this...lady? The wolfen said "lady" and they didn't correct him about that so maybe?
A sniff as if the idea of merely 'making' sorbet was both incredibly banal as well as extremely self evident and not worth the breath to ask issued from the frosted artisan. "Mmm.. Yes." came the equally icy response as a second, more cream based treat was... Manifested? And it was far less a few spheres of frozen treat and more... Well, Ice Cream usually didn't come in cubes either but at least they looked like they'd taste good? They would be caramel flavored should they actually be tasted, at least.

"You seeeeee... This is ice cream. Cream is the core of the creation. But not sorbet. Sorbet is an ice treat with juice and no cream at all. If you had both then it would be sherbet and this is clearly neither. Also sorbet is at least two thounsand years older given that freezing cream required the discovery of adding salt to water to lower the cooling temperature." she rattled off as if this was all information that was blatant and obvious. "What I have here is more than just ice, honey, fruit extract, and water, though. No this has all ingredients mixed in perfect proportion both macroscopically as well as down to the individual molecular spread. Entirely and perfectly uniform within and without and kept so to where it remains unmelting until consumed. And yes, it is a rose hip and cranberry mix as you can clearly tell from the hue it has." came the accompanying explanation with a very self-evident sort of motion where those frosted glasses were pushed up the bridge of that frosty nose.

"So as you can see, I cannot just sell this work of art to a tongue that cannot appreciate nor tell the difference between these varied confections. Please, I implore you to tell this... Plebian to have some Taste"
they said, gesturing to the wolfman. Or... Well, where the wolfman had stood as about partway through this, he'd just turned on his heels and decided it would just be better to hit up the creamery across the street. The arctic artisan didn't seem to have noticed in the meantime.
► SHOW SPOILER
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Sunday Afternoon

Gala turns and blinks in surprise as she finds the wolf-man no longer there.
"Wow, it's totally uniform and it never melts? That's really amazing. And you really know a lot about your craft. I admit I love cold treats but I don't know much at all about how they're made.
But um. I'm sure it's absolutely perfect! I think that guy left, though. So um. Do you sell any of this, or is it more art for you?"
the girl blinks. "I mean it's absolutely fine if it is, I'm just curious." She looks like she has other things to say but is holding them back.
FireFox

Post by FireFox »

Morty wrote: Jan 08, 2023 4:40 pm [A Temple Sunken in Time]

The stone flies over the gulch and lands on the other side. However, Callie's observant eye might notice a slight lurch in its trajectory. It slowed, briefly, as it passed halfway through the distance, in defiance of ordinary physics. The gulch is certainly not very wide or deep - if needed, Callie could plausibly climb down and back up easily enough. When the rock lands, she will hear another sound. A rustle of footsteps and long clothing from the other side of the gulch. But no one is visible.
This is some temporal bullshit is what it is. Like that time Callie started reading a book to decompress for just a little bit after work and then somehow leapt ahead 12 hours and 400 pages. Evidently there's an invisible portal in the gulch that will take her to a time when the temple was inhabited. Pro: easier to find the information HALO needs. Con: talking to people sucks. Not to mention the danger of getting stranded in the past. So, she needs to know if the transition is reversible, if there's a difference in effect between leaping the gulch and crossing the bridge conventionally, and who is waiting for her on the other side.

The foxgirl finds two more stones and then pokes herself in the eye to get it to well with tears. She fingerpaints a little eye on each rock with her tears, adding slit pupils and making sure they look cute for extra efficiency establishing a sympathetic link. Which she manages with a few arcane words and a force of will. Callie yeets one seeing stone across the gulch in roughly the same spot and vector as the last one, then tries to roll the other one across the bridge. Hopefully the ruined bridge turns whole at the right time and the rock can roll through the arboreal archway. Now all she has to do is close first one eye and then the other, taking turns to gaze out of the stones and see what's visible on the other side.
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Morty

Post by Morty »

There's another strange lurch as the stone rolls over the bridge. For a moment, it feels like it's falling... but then it's back on the bridge, as if it was whole.

When she looks through the stones, she will see that both of them perceive the same thing. The other side of the gulch, in the same state as she can see it from her position. If she's perceptive, she might also see some risen dust, as if disturbed by some movement - and yet, there should be no movement here.